[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Alright Warhammer 40k guys, im about to start my first army.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (20 KB, 194x259) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20 KB, 194x259
Alright Warhammer 40k guys, im about to start my first army. What faction should i choose? Leave pros and cons and some backstory. I was thinking about Khorne Chaos Marines. Pic semi-related.
>>
File: 1459155598341.gif (32 KB, 205x39) Image search: [Google]
1459155598341.gif
32 KB, 205x39
>>46334491

>Chaos Marines
>>
>>46334491
Just buy some space marines, GW doesn't give a shit about the others.
>>
>>46334491
If you do go for them, go for Khorne Daemonkin and mix some Daemons in. Its the best way to run Khorne fluff and crunch wise
>>
Khorny Daemonkin are pretty good right now. Buy a million Khorn Dogs.
>>
>>46334491
Necrons or marines, both are plentiful and easy to collect, also cheap and good too. Khorne marines also suck at the moment
>>
>>46334957
>at the moment.
Is pretty much the biggest part of GW.

Just grab the faction you like the look of. When GW updates them they'll probably steamroll everything for a few weeks. Fucking company releases a new Codex every weekend now, it seems.
>>
>>46335012
Except for chaos space marines, whose last update was the launch of the previous edition.
Still, painting and collecting is as nuch part of the hobby, so go with the army you like the look of.
>>
>>46335220
>>46334957
>>46335012
Daemonkin are plenty good. There's the good ole double bloodthirster axe switcharoo, but in general they are just pretty darn good. In an army where its fast attack guys are probably its best feature, Daemonkin can get fuckloads of fast attack guys, particularly bikers. They are also one of the most fluffy armies in existence.
>>
>>46334491
Depends. Do you want to win or have fun? Maybe a mix of the two?
>Win
Tau or necrons
>Mix of both
Muhrenes, Chaos, elder, Impetial Guard
>Have fun
ORKS or tyranids
>>
>>46335286
>necrons are in the win section
>Eldar aren't.
What fucking planet do you live on?

>>46334491
Could you give us a short list of armies you're interested in? Something like 3-4 different armies should be good.
>>
>>46334491
I've been collecting Orks for over a year:

Pro's: fantastic models, lots of variety, lots of potential for conversions, can find some real bargains on eBay.

Cons: This is a horde army. You will have tons of mini's. That might not bother you, but painting tons of slugga/shoota boys can get tiresome. I have 3 Kans, 3 Deff Koptas, 1 Trukk, 4 Grot tanks, 17 Kommandos (inclduing two nobs and Snikrott), 6 Manz, Mad Dok, two big meks, 5 storm boys, 25 slugga boyz, 10 shoota boyz, 5 nobz, Warboss, 15 flashgitz, Badrukk and Painboy. I still need more transport and I have nowhere near enough boyz. And that is already a ton of models.
>>
>>46334491
>I was thinking about Khorne Chaos Marines. Pic semi-related.

Then you should probably play Khorne Daemonkin or Chaos Space Marines.

The army that jumps out at you is the one you should usually be playing. Unless you look around some more and another one jumps out at you even more.

The way I found out my army that I'm super hardcore dedicated to is that I was playing Ultramarines and my friend asked me about some Badab War chapters, and when I showed him the pictures and talked about the chapters a little, I just realized THAT'S the chapter I want to play even more than Ultramarines.

So maybe try to find a friend who is interested in 40k armies and try to tell him which ones you think are the coolest and maybe one will just give you an eureka moment. Teachers always said the best way to learn is to teach something to a classmate.
>>
>>46335286
>Chaos aren't in the have fun category
>this poster literally believes chaos can play semi-competitively
>he thinks they're better than orks or tyranids
>>
this have all been covered on 1d4chan
>>
>>46334491
if you decide to choose a loyalist marine army, my suggestion would be to go with a deathwatch army.

You can paint your marines from any and every army you want, including the cool armies that split from their parent armies. Only one shoulder pad has to match the rest of your troops.

This may sound stupid, and may cost a bit more in paint, but there is nothing more dreadfully borring to me than painting every marine the same exact way.
>>
>>46334491
Play what you want, don't listen to meta faggots.
>>
>>46340249
so what army are you??
>>
>>46334491
Pick the army that you'll actually care about and want to paint/build/give a shit about it's backstory

Your army will buffed/nerfed to hell and back over time and if you don't absolutely love your models then you'll just get pissed off and sell them off after a year or so.

I played IG for example and went from being considered ultimate cheese in 5th to being considered a joke now. But I didn't give a shit because I loved the background and the models (or at least, converting 3rd party models to make cool looking custom regiments) and didn't really care. I haven't played 40k in 2 years but I still love my guardsmen and keep painting them because goddammit I like the Imperial Guard as an idea and a modelling project.

Also, realize 40k as a game is absolute shit. If you've got a good group to play with it's no big deal because you can have gentlemen's agreements and fix the majority of the issues. But if you're going to play at a random club with a random group of people, get ready to really hate it at times.
>>
>>46341044
As someone who plays both Tyranids and Chaos marines, I think both are leaps and bounds ahead of Orks. Tyranids don't have to worry about getting blown up in one shot, and Chaos has far better ranged options than either.

Outside of Flyrants, I would probably put Chaos Marines as the best of all 3. They have a wide variety of tools available to them to fill many different roles. They just don't do it as reliably or efficiently as normal marines.

Like, just compare the 'usable' units in each army. Chaos is looking at Nurgle Bikers, Noise Marines, Sorcerers, and some forgeworld stuff. Their superheavies also don't suck eggs. They've got long range ignores cover shooting, durable models with Nurgle marks, a variety of psychic powers, and plenty of melta for tanks.

Then look at Tyranids. They pretty much have Flyrants. Maybe Zoanthropes. Either way, they're entirely reliant on that single gimmick. Zoanthropes are some of their best anti-tank and they're not very reliable at it. All their superheavies are poor or overcosted.

Then you get to Orks, who have very little in the way of durable units, as most are simple walkers or vehicles that will explode easily thanks to open topped. Their shooting is poor, they're reliant on Rokkits for anti-tank, and most of their options are severely overcosted.

I might see putting Chaos Marines on par with guard, but they're definitely a step down from more average armies.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.