[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Yu-Gi-Oh is better than MtG. Prove me wrong.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54
Yu-Gi-Oh is better than MtG. Prove me wrong.
>>
Summoning Sickness
>>
Why does Konami actively make cards harder to read and understand. Every other tcg makes its cards easier to read and understand at first glance through better formatting and keywords. With ygo its the exact opposite, the cards are getting even wordier and harder to understand as the game progresses.
>>
1\4 of magic players are autistic
3\4 of yugioh players are autistic

Scientifically proved
>>
>>46331991
Konami wants to make sure the judges don't know how to play the game either.
>>
Yu Gi Oh's art averages second rate anime quality, and the best it has ever achieved is "good."

MTG averages good, and occasionally turns out something incredible.
>>
>>46331410

The burden of proof lies on the one making outrageous claims.
>>
>>46331410

MtG has more formats and ways to be enjoyed.

MtG's publisher interacts more with its costumers through different channels.

MtG is slower and has a more interesting gameplay.
>>
>>46332280
the cards are much easier to understand without sacrifycing effect variety and deckbuilding isn't based around super narrow archetypes with cards useless in most other decks
>>
>>46332367

I guess you're talking about Magic.
>>
The cardboard of YGO cards is horrible garbage.
>>
>>46332458
Tuner creatures are useless in any non-tuner deck. Creatures with support X are useful in most decks that have the mana curve.
>>
>>46332458
yea probably should have clarified that. There's a reason I only play YGO digitally because only the preprogramed AI can figure out exactly how some of the cards work and even some games Iv'e played have cards that don't work right. Its a good game for digital formats for those reasons and the set size playspace. Playing it with real cards is just and exersize in squinting and looking up rulings online
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 223x310
Yugioh looks like a C-list anime artist drew everything while MTG comes up with good art and gems every single set. Also MTG has joke sets.
>>
>>46332596
Also, MtG at least attempts to tell a storyline.
>>
>>46332612
>implying YGO doesn't attempt to tell a storyline
Duel Terminal is interesting as fuck.
>>
>>46332627
What is the current storyline told in YGO cards?
>>
>>46331410
I know a judge that was stabbed over a yugioh ruling
no magic players were ever stabbed over a game
yugioh players are dangerous elliot rodgers type sociopaths
>>
>>46332664
That's because Yugioh is mainly played by niggers.
>>
>>46332656
The Dracoverlords i think
>>
>>46332612
Considering the quality, I'm not entirely sure that's a point in Magic's favor.

[USER GOT IN THE WAY OF A THOUSAND-YEAR-OLD VAMPIRE WITH THIS POST]
>>
Both are shit
>>
>>46332695
How is that story looking? I haven't been paying much attention to YGO recently and I find it a bit harder to care for that one when I'm still hoping for the end to DT to appear at some point.
>>
I love the mtg lore pre neowalkers. And ygo has a show where people play card games while riding on motorcycles that is simultaneously the dumbest and best thing.
>>
>>46332770
Don't forget the detention centers and lasered on tattoo brands that also function as tracking marks for any poor people that broke the law.

5Ds was a fun show. It's worth watching it until the end of the Dark Signers arc even if you're not really into YGO, it's pretty great. Kind of fucked up past that for various reasons, but even then it still had some great shit like Shooting Star Dragon being summoned to this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O1Sx7B5WnDo
>>
>>46332857
I was sad when they went to an obnoxious kid who sucks at the game as a protagonist for the series after that. The AR gimmick they had was fun but the characters were just unbearable.
>>
>>46332951
I could never really get into ZEXAL, I've heard it gets pretty good in the second season, but just never got to it.

Arc-V is pretty fun though, it has bits of everything I've liked from most seasons as well as its own stuff to add to it. I need to catch up a bit, but I'd say it's solid overall. It had a few weak moments, but once it started rolling it just kept rolling. Like, if you make it to the tournament from then on you're in for a good ride.
>>
>>46332584
I've played about half of the YGO games, and every single one that I've played has had trouble knowing it's own goddamn rules.
>>
>>46331410
Can I see you discard pile?
>>
>>46332612
Also agreeing with >>46332627

I like both Mtg and Ygo, but Duel Terminal is comfy as fuck.
It is basically a whole world full of small stories about different tribes living, fighting and sometimes dying.
Check out Exciton Knight, a weak cockroach that through multiple cards told the story of how he became a Justice Fighter Kamen Rider.

Mtg has some stories, like Phyrexia, Weatherlight and some cards in Kamigawa, but that is it, and the only one that we may return to is Phyrexia.

Also, the anime helps to tell some stories about some cards.
>>
One is based around a TV show and is power creep as fuck.
The other is based around the game itself and keeps a near-constant power level so old cards are still valid years later, and even more useful now (See lightning axe and Madness).
>>
>>46333179
EVERY Magic set has a storyline, not just the Weatherlight Saga (everything with Phyrexia other than Mirrodin/New Phyrexia was part of the Weatherlight Saga) and Kamigawa
>>
>>46334304
Alpha,beta,and unlimited didn't
>>
>>46334450
I don't think any of the core sets did until 7th edition.
>>
>>46334450
...okay, that's a fair point. Nor do any of the core sets, it's the expansions that do.
The point being that it's not just Kamigawa and the Weatherlight Saga
>>
>>46334557
Did Arabian nights or legends have stories initially? I know legends was originally a bunch of DnD characters made into magic cards.
>>
>>46332009
/thread
>>
I forgot about Legends yea I think it was just peoples dnd characters and generic fantasy stuff I don't think they had and standard world lore until Antiquities. And Arabian Nights was just "101 Arabian Nights" as mtg cards which was pretty neat.
>>
>>46334592
Legends had several short stories about individual characters and also the larger Jedit plotline.
>>
Paladins of Quetzalcoatl vs Blackguards > Transdimensional Genocide War/Waifu Hunt >Ancient King's loving relationship with a Japanese midget > Spirit Talker adventures>God and his partner, Little Shit
>>
>>46331410
i always much prefered the MtG art
>>
File: books.jpg (3 MB, 4160x2340) Image search: [Google]
books.jpg
3 MB, 4160x2340
>>46334997
wait you are completely right I have the fucking Legends novel on my shelf. I think I didn't enjoy those books as much as the others and that's why i forgot about them.
>>
File: YGO Heart of cards.jpg (150 KB, 333x493) Image search: [Google]
YGO Heart of cards.jpg
150 KB, 333x493
>>46332596
So Western Toon-World theme does not count in your eyes?

Also, what about the cross-compatible video games?

Both have ripped the other off. The difference is that Yu-Gi-Oh knows it is broken.

Magic-The-Gathering never makes a effort to fix it's broken system. Instead, they just release even shittier cards.

There is a reason why YGO has a copy limit of 3 while MTG has a copy limit of 4.
Also rares are explicitly limited to 1 per deck.

You can play YGO without proxies and still get a playable hand every first round.
>>
>>46335193
>Missing the Thran

I feel bad for you anon
>>
>>46335233
letting a friend of mine borrow it. I am legit missing a few books like some of the Invasion books which are great.
>>
File: Bird Paradise_spletje.jpg (30 KB, 314x443) Image search: [Google]
Bird Paradise_spletje.jpg
30 KB, 314x443
Also, if you want to prevent race-wars :
Yu-Gi-Oh brings communities together with it's Muslim themed multi-colored cards.

Magic-the-Gathering segregates with it's explicit hatred against big heterosexual black decks .

You might as well play all green cards considering how bigoted it is.

UNLIMITED RAINBOW MANA , CAN CHUMP BLOCK ALL NON-TRAMPLERS FOR NO LIFE LOSS AND UNBLOCKABLE AIRBORNE NAZIS [4 per deck too] ? NERF NOW, PLEASE !
>>
File: Charmers.png (5 MB, 3000x1600) Image search: [Google]
Charmers.png
5 MB, 3000x1600
Same problem almost every single stupid shounen anime has: retarded power levels

Interesting cards and archetypes, like Relinquished and Alien are useless as soon as a new summoning mechanic is introduced

The only cards with lore text are normal monsters, which are completely useless

And yes, I am pissed that we will never be able to seriously use pic related, even during a casual match
>>
>>46332550
>tuner
There's some like Effect Velier that can be splashed anywhere. I find myself using some Tuners for their effects instead of synchros.
>>
File: devo.jpg (72 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
devo.jpg
72 KB, 312x445
>>46335328
you should have played during Theros block. Black devotion was strong mostly due to this bastard.
>>
File: orochi token 8.jpg (64 KB, 480x680) Image search: [Google]
orochi token 8.jpg
64 KB, 480x680
The only thing MTG did correctly was it's Kamigawa [snake-fetish] series.

Yu-Gi-Oh FAILED HARD THERE.

Which is ridiculous because those Konami[s] are the culture that invented penis-themed holidays, Samurai and Ninjas !

If I want a orgy tower that spills infinity eggs, MTG has me covered in all of that snake Jizz.

The snakes are so plump and throbbing that they grew 6 limbs just to keep stroking them.

I let those sluts climb all over my "Beast of burden" until the flood of cum spilled all over my opponents. They never stood a chance.
>>
>>46332550
That's completely wrong though. 90% of decks run at least one of Ghost Ogre or Veiler.
>>
>>46331410

It was back in the early 2000s, but then it suffered a power creep to end all power creeps which caused its irreversible decline in today's pitiable state.

Yu-Gi-Oh is the Holy Roman Empire of TCG: once rising to greatness, it is now but a pitiable husk of what it once was, sitting there and waiting for a merciful end.
>>
>>46335357
Anon, I feel your pain. I so badly want Fortune Ladies to be a viable deck. Basically all they would need is some way to search their shit, but spellcasters will never get a search because of Exodia and they'll never get archetype support because they're fuck-old. At this point I'm just hoping that there's some pendulum cards that help them a bit instead of just running Risebell/Eccentrick and hoping things work out.
>>
>>46335232
Since WHEN are rares limited to one per deck?
>>
File: counterspell.jpg (33 KB, 226x311) Image search: [Google]
counterspell.jpg
33 KB, 226x311
>>46335407
That is puny compared to today's decks.

That barely even puts a dent in a Green-White deck. Hell, a Eldrazi would rape that until it was nothing more than a empty husk.

It does not help that this card only has the ability as it enters the field.
Which means if it is never bounced on and off of the board ; then it never does anything.

At least Yu-Gi-oh counter-spells hurt both players every time.
>>
>>46335445
I agree
>>46335524
If your tournaments do not limit your
Planes-walkers to one per deck , then how do you play maps ?

At least in Duelist of the roses, there is a handicap limit per deck so that your opponent's odds of killing someone on the 1st turn are not always 100%.
>>
>>46335611
I have no fucking clue what you're talking about
>>
File: OF THE ROSES.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
OF THE ROSES.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
Look at this map? Perfect cubes of classic chess. Look how shiny it is ! The entire sound-track is original content ! All characters are fully rendered inside and out with a voice too.
None of that unrefined Hexagon nonsense spilling all over the place.

Japan has a declining birth-rate for a reason compared to America when it comes to RPGs.

America's Dungeons and Dragons themed games fail to keep it's players immersed enough to stay eternal virgins.
>>
File: Redemption Muslim.jpg (46 KB, 344x512) Image search: [Google]
Redemption Muslim.jpg
46 KB, 344x512
>>46335644
Have you seriously never played Magic the Gathering's spin-off games ?

At least Konami's fan base knows about it's many video game, card and board-game spin offs.

You sound like a normie to me. Go back to Church, that television evangelist is not done raping you.
>>
>>46335807
Arena of the planeswalkers is a board game separate from the normal card game. Don't randomly bring it up and expect people to understand
>>
>>46335232
Rares are not limited to 1 per deck. You're thinking of "cards which are very nearly brokenly OP", which are the cards that are limited to 1 per deck. Or maybe you're thinking of " cards which are a bit less broken", which are limited to 2 per deck.

Actually, that is one thing tournament organisers have done right with Yugioh: they've recognised that there are such things as multiple degrees of brokenness.
>>
>>46337914
Some cards on the F/L list do not belong there though.
>>
>>46335514
>spellcasters will never get a search
What ATK are they? Because if it's less than 1500, Witch of the Black Forest.
>>
>>46337986
Sure. I am definitely not saying that the execution is perfect, or even very good, but Yugioh organisers have recognised that some cards are more powerful than others and so restricting the ability to use them without removing that ability is useful.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cp4fxe75810
>>
>>46337914
And WotC has realized that limiting things to a lesser number per deck than normal just means that games come down to 'who got luckier' more often, and thus only use a restricted list for the format whose purpose is intended to be 'you can play anything but the joke cards and the ones that we run into problems with gambling laws if we allow'.
>>
1. Bullshit power creep
2. No summoning sickness
3. A billion ways to summon multiple 2,000+ creatures turn 1

It's come a long fucking way since everyone played decks filled with 1,800 attack creatures at my primary school, and a 1,900 attack creature was considered ludicrous.
>>
>>46331410
YGO is now OTK the game. In a few years it will be FTK the game.
>>
>>46335807
Anon dosen't know my shitty spin off game and thus is clarly religious. LOGIC.
>>
>>46335232
>There is a reason why YGO has a copy limit of 3 while MTG has a copy limit of 4.
Because YGO has a smaller deck.
>>
>>46332716

Correct opinion. They're both awful.
>>
Wrath of God is banned in yugioh. Any game where that effect is too good is a bad game
>>
>>46338996
>Wrath of God
Is Dark Hole still banned? Why would Raigeki be allowed, but Dark Hole be banned?

Also, Wrath of God would probably be broken in Magic if it was 0 mana.
>>
>>46338996
>Wrath of God
Dark Hole is at 2 and Raigeki is at 1.

Retard.
>>
File: Prohibition-LCYW-EN-ScR-1E.png (258 KB, 300x438) Image search: [Google]
Prohibition-LCYW-EN-ScR-1E.png
258 KB, 300x438
>>46338105
SO MUCH NOSTALGIA.
NOT ENOUGH YU-GI-OH PLAYERS USE PROHIBITION IN THEIR DECK.
>>
>>46340055
That seems like a really good card. Why is it not used more?
>>
>>46335232
I consider the entire yugioh game to be a joke.
>>
>>46341121
For the same reason that Meddling Mage generally doesn't get used in MtG: it's really, really conditional, and only works if you get your retaliation in first, so-to-speak.
>>
>>46341238
But in YGO it seems like every deck has a big combo based around the archetype. If you know what they're playing or side it in in the second and third deck you have a card that can cripple them unless they take it out since you can name a key card in their combo.
>>
>>46341121
Because there's a hundred different cards you can shove into a yugioh deck that gives the same exact effect so it would only really block one of those?
>>
File: SolemnStrike-BOSH-EN-ScR-1E.png (351 KB, 302x450) Image search: [Google]
SolemnStrike-BOSH-EN-ScR-1E.png
351 KB, 302x450
>>46341304
Alternatively, you can run a more versatile card that does the same thing and ALSO works against most other cards
>>
>>46341238
2 colors? Yikes.

I would love to have a anti-tutor
"MEDDLING MAGE " deck.

Maybe even mix in some "Chain Energy" and "Burning land" just to piss everyone off while I am at it [Note: These card names mean something completely different in both games].
>>
>>46334592
Arabian Nights had a heck of a storyline.

It was about that dude who was the most powerful planeswalker before Urza at the end of the Brother's War. And it ended with the plane Arabian Nights takes place on getting sealed off, I think.
>>
File: MTG Revoker.png (104 KB, 200x278) Image search: [Google]
MTG Revoker.png
104 KB, 200x278
>>46341600
Disregard that, I am a moronic normie like the rest of you.

Phyrexian Revoker does it with colorless.
>>
>>46341608
Feroz?
>>
>>46335539
Mono-B devotion had a lot more to offer than that, though. Desecration Demon was a hose against some decks, pack rats was bullshit to play against, and the fact that Gary could reliably drain something like 7 life made the deck both incredibly easy on your wallet and incredibly hard to beat.

Standard is going to be a little screwy for the next few weeks but I'm imagining several potential top decks that will run black.

MTG is pretty good at not making a color completely unviable, unless it was for some reason like its utter dominance in the previous standard environment.
>>
>>46341600
With all the special summoning shenanigans that happens in YGO now is it possible to make a good chain energy deck?
>>
>>46341733
You don't. You make a creatureless delay burn deck,because everyone hates facing a Swords of Burning Light that they have to lose tempo to get rid of.
>>
>>46341711
Phyrexian Revoker has a different effect entirely.
There's a huge difference between being unable to cast a named card and being unable to activate abilities of a named card.
Meddling Mage keeps it from coming out, but can't do shit if it's cheated out or already out.
Revoker (and Pithing Needle, which doesn't die as easily but does the same thing) doesn't stop it from being played and doesn't stop triggered or continuous abilities - or attacking or blocking - but DOES shut down any activated ability of things that are out, regardless of when or how they came out. Also completely shuts down planeswalkers if they're named (which is hilariously flavorful in Pithing Needle's case if you've read The Thran)
>>
>>46341715
Close, Taysir.

AKA the guy who made Feroz unleash Feroz's Ban.

Honestly, of all the super powerful oldwalkers, Taysir is the one I'm least sure is perma-dead, as he was killed harder at least three times before he died fighting Phyrexia.
>>
>>46332154
YuGiOh's art is all drawn by one guy.
And Magic's art stopped being good ages ago.
>>
>>46338192
you clearly have no idea of what you are talking
just so you know BA are a thing

>>46341304
and the fact that Prohibition is not that used prove that your impression is wrong
>>
File: MTG Pithing hentai art.png (422 KB, 400x550) Image search: [Google]
MTG Pithing hentai art.png
422 KB, 400x550
>>46341846
>Pithing Needle
Nice. I have never even heard of that card.
It is a shame how the original is not as sexy as the fan art.
>>
>>46331410
As someone who's played both, I can assure you that MtG is better.

Yu-gi-oh has become a cancerous mess with them introducing new and newer gimmicks.

I'll still go on duelingnetwork every once in a while, and play with my theme deck and see how they compare to the newer crap that WAAC players come up with in the new metas.
>>
File: PsiBlocker-BP01-EN-C-1E.png (461 KB, 400x586) Image search: [Google]
PsiBlocker-BP01-EN-C-1E.png
461 KB, 400x586
>>46340055
Daily reminder that there is a loop in YGO with psi-blocker that can make you name every single YGO card so your opponent can do literally nothing
>>
>>46342632
What, really? I'm guessing it's something you can't really do in tournaments though, right?
>>
Ugliest card art and design of any CCG I've ever seen. You need a spyglass just to read the text.
>>
>>46342690
It takes like a hundred days to name and every single card and I forgot they banned Lavalval chain so you can't loop anymore
>>
File: SolemnWishes-DB1-EN-C-UE.png (259 KB, 300x436) Image search: [Google]
SolemnWishes-DB1-EN-C-UE.png
259 KB, 300x436
>>46341733
Anything is possible.
At this point, the players here have convinced me of the reality that both games are broken beyond meaning.

I know in the video game, I had fun with a Burning Land/Solemn Wishes combo ;but in a actual game, I know I would lose against the immortal nonsense that is out there now.

Only emphasizing this person's point.
>>46335445
AND this person's point
>>46338192
And this person's point.
>>46338835
and this person's point.
>>46341223
>>
>>46342841
>both games are broken beyond meaning.
Magic is not broken at all. Modern is dumb right now, but it will be fixed when Eye of Ugin is banned in 5 days.
>>
>>46331410
Synchro Monsters
XYZ Monsters
Pendulum Monsters
>>
File: stop.png (125 KB, 386x318) Image search: [Google]
stop.png
125 KB, 386x318
>>46335807
are you retarded
>>
>>46341733
They made a better chain energy
>>
>>46335193
>want to buy all the Lorwyn/Shadowmoor books.
>I'd have to spend $20 on shipping for $4 worth of books

JUST
>>
>>46342908
If I had this, Chain Energy and Toll would there be anything my opponent could do without paying 500 LP?
>>
>>46342979
Win with exodia
>>
>>46343010
Well, that's something I guess.
>>
>>46341608
Did it come out along with the set or a while after.
>>
File: att_INFINITE MEME.png (292 KB, 503x335) Image search: [Google]
att_INFINITE MEME.png
292 KB, 503x335
>>46343010
THIS IS THE DUMBEST SCENE IN ANIME.
I ACTUALLY QUIT ANIME AFTER THIS.
THAT IS HOW AWFUL THIS IS.
THE FACT THAT YOU CAN DO THE SAME IN MTG, DOES NOT REDEEM IT FROM THE STUPIDITY OF THESE KINDS OF COMBOS.
https://youtu.be/80fbdQBwbO4
>>
>>46343817
The anime tends to actually follow the rules now.
>>
>>46332176
oh snap
>>
>>46343817
I really wish there was a yugioh-esque show about Magic. I would love to see someone play out Splinter Twin combo on a big holographic dueling arena.

well, before it got banned anyway
>>
>>46344403
They're making a movie.
>>
File: 1425120185306.gif (597 KB, 500x369) Image search: [Google]
1425120185306.gif
597 KB, 500x369
>>46344403
That'd be the most retarded thing and it'd get loads of fans.

Ye gods, the shitposting would be enormous.
>>
>>46344439
The movie is gonna be trash tho. It's gonna be like all the bad video game movies.

>>46344458
I'd watch it. Hell, the yugioh show is retarded and cheesy but that's part of why it's entertaining. A magic version, grounded in actual game mechanics? Unf, sign me up.
>>
>>46344706
Regardless of whether it'll be trash you know you're going to watch it. Everyone into mtg will.
>>
>>46344706
Yugioh's inherent speed is much better suited to the anime format.
>>
>>46335193
Vinny?
>>
>>46342908
I just realized that Odd-Eye Pendulum Dragon is the third in the Adjective-Eyes Adjective Eyes category. Do you think there's enough in this for an archetype to be formed?
>>
>>46335539
MBD was ridiculously powerful.
>>
>>46345660
Red-Eyes Black Dragon
Blue-Eyes White Dragon
Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon
Neo Galaxy-Eyes Photon Dragon
Number 107: Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon
Number C107: Neo Galaxy-Eyes Tachyon Dragon
Odd-Eyes Pendulum Dragon
Beast-Eyes Pendulum Dragon
Rune-Eyes Pendulum Dragon.

Waaaaay more than just three.
>>
>>46345660
All of the Adjective-Eyes are their own archetypes, anon. Although Odd Eyes is probably the worst of them since it doesn't really work on its own.

I personally like Galaxy Eyes the most, they have some great looking monsters.
>>
File: guildwalkers.jpg (769 KB, 2444x1631) Image search: [Google]
guildwalkers.jpg
769 KB, 2444x1631
>>46344403
I would like to see how they would make stereotypes of which type of players looks like.

Ravnica Arc is the best Arc.
>>
>>46344403
It depends, it would be kids playing mtg with holographic stages, or would they be planeswalkers casting spells referencing the tcg?

>>46348544
It would be cool like this, I can already see Izzet Girl swiping two fingers while shouting "Redirect" in a japanese accent.
>>
>>46342116
But it isnt? There are some "guest artists" that contribute regulary.
>>
>>46331410
Official tournaments suck.
>>
>>46348647
"Re dereecto!"
>>
>>46348647
Kids playing the TCG on holographic stages.

Imagine a storm player casting spells as a literal storm grows over the playing field. The electricity in the air is palpable as he prepares for the final blow, grapeshot for 20. Copies of the spell erupt out of the card and slam into his opponent. The crowd cheers wildly. That kind of thing.
>>
>>46349124
I can imagine the Storm player as a kind of evil guy, he plays as if uninterested in what his opponent is doing, and at the turn the crowd thinks that the good guy has the advantage, BAM! Spells one after another until grapeshot for 20.

Other evil henchman could be infect, and the players would actually look and feel sick when they get poison counters, as if they are almost dying at 9, and faint at 10.
>>
>>46334450

1. Those sets were introduced right at the beginning when Magic was supposed to be a little card game

2. Alpha/Beta/Unlimited count as Core Sets. Core Sets normally don't have a storyline. Expert Sets/Blocks do.
>>
>>46349327
I want the big bad to play doomsday.

Though, I love that infect idea so much.
>>
>>46332584
>>46333044

Doesn't the anime constantly get the rulings wrong as well?
>>
>>46335407

> Gray Merchant + Rescue from the Underworld combo

That was when I really started to understand the big deal of entering battlefield effects.
>>
>>46331410
Weebshit.

QED
>>
>>46331410
More blacks and mexicans play YGO

Very few stores support YGO

Having your money format be an eternal format causes rapid power spikes to mandate more purchases.
>>
>>46345790
Jesus Christ most of those names are fucking atrocious.
>>
>>46345790
You forgot Googly-Eyes Drum Dragon
>>
>>46331410
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cp4fxe75810
Out of all card games, Yugioh seems the least dignified
>>
>>46349327
>>46349517
The BEG has to play some sort of WB stuff. And controlling the board in some way every turn.

And MC has to have a friend who plays 5 color big stuff, but always gets mana fucked because he never have the right mana pool.
>>
>>46349589
Not since a long time.
>>
File: 1458954849540.jpg (291 KB, 560x560) Image search: [Google]
1458954849540.jpg
291 KB, 560x560
>that magic player who always shows up to Yugioh night to talk shit

One night he brought a couple of his magic friends, the owners almost had to call the cops.
>>
File: ptcg.jpg (111 KB, 1117x523) Image search: [Google]
ptcg.jpg
111 KB, 1117x523
>>46334304
>EVERY Magic set has a storyline
Bad storyline doesn't count as storyline.

When pokemon cards have a more consistent and better told storyline than your entire block, there is something wrong.
>>
>>46350022
>bad storyline doesn't count as storyline
story is still story
>>
>2011 + 5
>not playing the mlp tcg
>>
File: combined.jpg (70 KB, 624x445) Image search: [Google]
combined.jpg
70 KB, 624x445
>>46350022
Oh please, anon.
>>
>>46350116
Most Mtg sets has as much story as WWE.
Use some fucking common sense, it is like complaining when someone says that he isn't doing anything, because he is breathing.
>>
>>46350186
It is their own fault for abusing High Tide.
>>
>>46337989
Your thinking of sangan anon

Witch searched it for def. Which was part of the reason it was banned
>>
>>46350140
It's actually not shit, I was really surprised
>>
>>46335539
Please don't talk about things you don't know anything about
>>
>>46335539
>puny compared to today's decks
>today's decks
>just over two years after theros now
>doesn't remember how miserable mono-black devotion was
>posts counterspell, a card that hasn't been in standard for 15 years
>"a Eldrazi"
>barely puts a dent in a green-white deck
>yugioh counterspells hurt both players
>yugioh has free boardwipes
>yugioh counterspells can't stop you from being FTKd
>>
I hope there is a fire and you and every yugio card is caught in it.
>>
>>46345805
Odd Eyes needs things like Performapals or Magicians.
>>
>>46352440
Some of the new Odd-Eyes stuff is really good. The Manga cards are quite nice.
>>
>>46352440
That doesn't stop it from being its own archetype. I'm interested in seeing what other support it gets because it's new stuff seems pretty solid.

Maybe we'll finally get an archetype of them that doesn't suck dick. I mean, I really want to like Galaxy Eyes, but I don't think it has ever really worked all that well, same with Red Eyes.
>>
>>46350186
OH MY GOD
How have I not got the art reference before.
>>
>>46353824
The Galaxy support is decent with Felgrand cards.
>>
>>46332009
100% of tcg players are autistic. It is impossible to play a card game and not be autistic.
>>
>>46332280
>slower = better

Get out of my sight you disgusting filth.
>>
>>46332612
>he has never heard of duel terminal
>or gaga gigo
>or marauding captain
>or fucking blue-eyes
>>
>>46335445
>old yugioh was better than new yugioh
You are literally and figuratively wrong in every sense.
>>
>>46357441
>not mentioning sangan
Poor thing couldn't catch a break, he just wanted to go home for a bit.
>>
>>46338126
>magic doesn't have power creep
>summoning sickness is a good thing
>swarming is an optimal strategy
>>
>>46350140
I tried it once, it was actually too complicated for me.
>>
>>46357568
>magic doesn't have power creep
You seen the most recent few blocks? Weak as fuck compared to that which has come before.
>summoning sickness is a good thing
It is. Having creatures wait a turn before attacking be the norm slows the game down, leaving it open for a lot more interaction and extra points of differentiation between cards.
>swarming is an optimal strategy
I honestly haven't looked at the Yuioh meta in years, so I wouldn't know what's in, however the fact that you can drop a significant number of powerful creatures in the first turn AND have them attack seems unbalanced and stupid to me.
>>
>>46357843
>Slowing the game down is good

Oh my god, please tell me this is some fucking bait, and that you aren't actually this retarded.

>the fact that you can drop a significant number of powerful monsters in the first turn AND have them attack...

You can't attack on the first turn dumbshit, and after the first turn if you can attack for game then it's your opponents fault for not being able to do something about it.
>>
>And MC has to have a friend who plays 5 color big stuff, but always gets mana fucked because he never have the right mana pool.

Until he learns the joy of running Fetchlands.

"LIFE MATTERS NOT. I CAN TAKE A FEW HITS!"
>>
>>46357894
>>46357412
>I want to be able to play a match in under a minute

Look, anon, not everyone has ADD.
>>
>>46358524
>ygo
>playing in under a minute
Just because you saw someone pulling a Combo turn 1, it doesn't mean that all matches are like that. It is like saying that a mtg match takes over 30 minutes because you saw an EDH match, or two heavy control decks.
>>
>>46358717
>It's fair if I straw man, but not if anyone else does, WAH!
>>
>>46358784
>only one person can disagree with me, WAH!
>>
>>46358907
It doesn't matter if you're two people or one, my point still stands, retard.
>>
>>46348544
>They all have the same figure
>>
>>46358949
You said that playing a game faster implies in matches being played in under a minute, which is false. So your point does not stand.

There is a reason why shit like eggs got banned.
>>
>>46359016
I am sure that girls like Boros and Azorius are on the taller side, while Izzet and Gruul are on the shorter side.
Also, Dimir, Gruul and Azorius have smaller breasts than Izzet, Boros, or Rakdos.
>>
>>46359030
Let me break this down for you, because you seem to have trouble with not being retarded.

An anon says that MTG is better than YGO because YGO is too fast and MTG is slower.

You straw man that position to an absolute statement of "slower = better".

I present your argument as the equally fallacious "Faster = better".

You prove you didn't intentionally create a straw man, you just have extremely poor reading comprehension skills.
>>
>>46355750
>>46353824

Galaxy-Eyes also runs well with Hieratic cards.

Or, well, at least it did a few years ago. Are Hieratics even viable anymore?
>>
>>46359164
>MtG is better because it's slower!
>I never said slower means better!
>>
>>46359391
>Hey, this soup is too hot
>HURR DURR, WHY DO YOU LIKE TO DRINK COLD SOUP?
>>
>>46359164
Did you even read the part that maybe there is more than one person? And that person you are talking to is just telling on your bullshit?

Also, I know that this discussion is retarded because I play both games, and guess what, decent matches in both games takes from 5~10 minutes. Full pokemon matches are slower, but conceding early in the game is also more usual in pokemon, while Vanguard is definitively slower, especially if you get 1 or 2 heals, since the final turns are the slower ones.
>>
>>46359127
Gruul should be a fatass.
>>
>>46359523
Except he didn't say "Mtg is better because YGO is too fast"
He said "Mtg is better because it's slower than YGO"
>>
>>46359525
If that's the case he's dumber than I thought. I mean, he's fucking retarded because he continued to argue with what I explicitly stated was a straw man, but to do that when jumping into another anon's fight? That shit is beyond retarded.

>>46359591
Fill in the blanks anon, "If MTG is better because it's slower then YGO is ___ ____"
>>
>>46359562
Why? Gruul is impulse and instinct, and a genki girl is basically that.
>>
>>46359745
I was thinking r/g has the best fatties but it is really w/g. And I still think the figures could be more varied.
>>
>>46359822
>wanting fatties
Tumblr, pls.
>>
>>46359664
>"If MTG is better because it's slower
But you said that was a strawman
>>
>>46359862
It's more a /tg/ thing than a tumblr thing.
>>
>>46360071
I give up. No one can have reading comprehension this fucking bad.
>>
At least we can agree that games like Vanguard and Weiss Schwars cancer for the TCG format?
>>
>>46360726
How so?
>>
>>46358717
>thinking 30 min is short for a game of magic
>>
>>46360905
I agree that magic takes about 20 minutes a game for one that doesn't have a T4 wincon (A.K.A. Every competitive match ever).
>>
>>46331410
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gs08XuC62LU
>>
Prove to me why yugioh, a game that ends turn 1 if you got a bad draw, is better than magic: the gathering.
>>
>tfw no duel terminal anime
>>
>>46360905
Usual EDH takes around that time, much more if it is multiplayer. I also had to sit through a whole match of two control decks who have lost their win conditions, and got down to who makes the other player draw more while countering your opponent attempt to make you draw, it was kind of funny.
>>
>>46350022
Where's the story here exactly? A pig grew up with some family, the end? This is about as deep as any random individual Magic or Yugioh card.
>>
>>46361009
Yugioh duels don't don't usually end on the first turn, you can't attack then. That's why you usually wait until at least the second or third turn to pull off your combo.
>>
>>46331410
>Prove me wrong.

The majority of the cards in your pic are literal trash now.
>>
>>46362046
All the cards in the pic were trash when they were released
>>
>>46361819
Most people that see the Emboar evolution line, thinks "Ah, ok, that's cool." and that is much better than the most recent mtg block (BFZ/OGW).
Or even the yugioh anime, at least until better characters showed up to save the show.
>>
>>46362092
Nah Gearfreid was good when he came out.
>>
>>46362282
It was only used in Dagger FTK
>>
>>46362340
It was also used in Warrior Beatdown and regular Beatdown (sometimes). Though desu that was around the time that you only won if you played Yata.
>>
>>46362282
Gearfriend was okay...mostly gay loops with butterfly dagger

but the majority were always trash
>>
File: 1075728.jpg (139 KB, 308x450) Image search: [Google]
1075728.jpg
139 KB, 308x450
Hey guys whats going on in this thread
>>
How do Pendulum Magicians fare against Kozmo and Monarchs? My store has banned Dracopals in a near unanimous vote, so I gotta bring something fresh.
>>
File: latest[1].png (133 KB, 440x478) Image search: [Google]
latest[1].png
133 KB, 440x478
How to play modern yu-gi-oh

>Player1: Im gunna special summon my summon with a summon and extra summon on top with a side of special summon.and then i'll summon a summon with a baker's dozen other summons that are special and then summon!

>Player 2: OMG LIKE 12 BOARD WIPES LOLSOCOOL!!!! Now I'm gonna special summon and special summon with 8 different summons and do a triple decker summon special with this deep dish summon and order a summon with special summon sauce and give my compliments to the summon for this special summon.

>Player 1: OMG LIKE 12 BOARD WIPES LOLSOCOOL!!!!

repeat ad infinitum until someone loses by default because they decked themselves.
>>
>>46331410
Yu-Gi-Oh is somehow less balanced than MtG, which is astounding.
>>
>>46332070
Eventually nobody, not even the judges will care what the cards actually do, and then real life duels will be just like the anime in terms of mechanics. That is Konami's master plan, and the day that Yu-Gi-Oh becomes the ultimate card game in terms of fun and popularity.
>>
>>46362833
Even legacy mtg is more balanced the shitpile yugioh has become.
>>
>>46362777
You missed the part about drawing
>>
>>46363071
or taking breaks while reading through chapter 11 of your card text
>>
>>46362858
To be fair at the beggining the anime didn't follow the game rule because it was based on the manga and the rules didn't exist when it was written.
>>
>>46362833
Magic isn't that unbalanced.
>>
>>46365831
They're equally unbalanced; Magic has Eldrazi and YGO had Performapals
>>
>>46365999

Are Performapals that fucked?
>>
>>46366196
They were legal at full power for one event where they took 29 out the top 32 spots, had most of their power cards banned, and are still one of the best decks.
>>
>>46332596
But anon, every yugioh set for the past 2 years has been a joke.
>>
>>46331410
MtG wasn't anime.
Here.I proved it.
>>
YuGiOh cards are really small and more and more text is squished in there. At least mtg cut that shit out for the most part, although there are a couple of offenders here and there. Magic cards are also larger than yugioh ones.
>>
File: 1403784566093.jpg (102 KB, 500x1200) Image search: [Google]
1403784566093.jpg
102 KB, 500x1200
>>46366260
>>
>>46366368
>4chan IS ANIME SITE GUYS
How does it feels in 2007?
>>
File: 1401388174920.jpg (570 KB, 736x561) Image search: [Google]
1401388174920.jpg
570 KB, 736x561
>>46366408
you seem to be in deep denial
>>
>>46366502
>intended
And Facebook is for university students only.
>that pic
>what is contained board(aka leprosarium)
Does that mean we're all nazi meme-spamming bronies now?
>>
File: 1401033225479.jpg (34 KB, 599x600) Image search: [Google]
1401033225479.jpg
34 KB, 599x600
>>46366551
anon this is a containment board /a/ is one of 4chan original boards
also it was made with 2chan in mind as the image points out

continue in deanial anon
>>
>>46365999
Eldrazi aren't unbalanced. Eye of Ugin will be banned in Modern in 4 days and then Eldrazi are totally fair everywhere.
>>
>>46366650
>one of 4chan ORIGINAL boards
>it WAS made
So ,how does it feels like:to be stuck in 2003
>>
File: 147.jpg (11 KB, 388x223) Image search: [Google]
147.jpg
11 KB, 388x223
>>46366890
dude moot was huge weabo and the new moot is japanese
so lets see it i run out bait images before you run out of bait
>>
>>46366958
>caring about what admin likes
>>
File: 1442796089891.png (35 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
1442796089891.png
35 KB, 800x600
>>46366979
when is the guy how literally made the site i think it matter denial anon
>>
>>46366551
>And Facebook is for university students only.
And I'm sure that middle-aged moms complained about university students posting about their university lives on facebook, they would be met with similar arguments.
Either way, the bottom line is that you're complaining about the site's original intended userbase. Surely you see the logical flaws in that? He's not saying 4chan is only for anime fans, just as Facebook is not only for University students, but to complain about either intended demographic on either site is stupid.
>>
>>46349887
Until an old man passes him his card collection with duals and fetchlands... you know at first I thought it was retarded to have a yugi show about magic when you can have instead the story arc of the sets or self contained tales on diferent planes, now I want both...

Maybe something in the Middle? Group of friends playing the game and somehow they develope a spark and planeswalk finding the game is real and struggling to find a way back home? Think sliders+magic
>>
>>46367325
More like university students that post in the group created for middle-aged moms. There are anime boards. I don't even hate anime, but holy fuck I hate moeshit, which seems to make up the majority of content that the Japanese Culture boards have.
>>
>>46367487
Sounds like Bakugan.
>>
>>46349887
BBEG is a Dredge player.
>>
>>46331410
ive never played yugioh so im gonna say magic is better
>>
>>46361931
That doesn't change the fact that games still often come down to "I'm going to execute my non-interactive combo, do you have something to stop me? No? Then you're dead and I win." Most games of Magic involve actually interacting with your opponent. Unless you're playing Vintage. Then all bets are off.
>>
>>46367026
>And Facebook is for university students only.
>>46367325
>Either way, the bottom line is that you're complaining about the site's original intended userbase. Surely you see the logical flaws in that?
Original intended userbase is not the userbase it got .What matters is how it turned out to be,not how it was implied.
>He's not saying 4chan is only for anime fans, just as Facebook is not only for University students, but to complain about either intended demographic on either site is stupid.
I'm not complaining about it. I'm just replying to that guy who complains about that not all people want to choke on anime.
>>
>>46367583
>moeshit
>Yu-Gi-Oh
>>
>>46345790
>doesn't include the derpy offshoots that don't have a second adjective like hundred eyes, or odd eyes (before pendulum), or as another anon said, googly eyes.
>or the sheer amount of odd eyes X dragon
>includes some of the offshoots for photon and pendulum, ignores the sheer bullshit amount of cards with red and blue eyes
why
>>
>>46367603
No the Dredge player is vegatable with a TTS device.
>>
File: 1438167854367.png (974 KB, 866x630) Image search: [Google]
1438167854367.png
974 KB, 866x630
Criticize. I only play for fun but I lose far too many times. I want to keep the fusions and some of the synchros but other shit like the level 4s and lower can be replaced.
>>
>>46369307
What... What are you trying to do?
>>
>>46369447
I would ask the same question.
>>
>>46369447
>>46369456
I don't know myself, haven't played ygo since early school years and I come back and try to figure out how all this stuff works. Tried some Dragon/Spellcaster themed deck but clearly it doesn't work with other shit I'm trying to cram in. I guess my priorities are fusions and preventing my opponents from doing anything but I have 0 idea on how to go about it.
>>
>>46369470
Like... you can make a good Blue-Eyes deck with the current support. Or a decent Dark Magician deck. Just not... 50 card Dark Magician Blue-Eyes Feat.Hands and One-Offs
>>
>>46369478
But what if I like both Dark Paladin and Twin Burst Dragon in particular? What cards do I get rid of from that deck? I'm guessing the bottom tuners and those Fire/Ice Hands?
>>
>>46369500
>What if I like both Dark Paladin and Twin Burst
Then you can settle with running a really bad deck.
>>
>>46367664
You were literally saying that Ygo was worse because it has an anime, how does that relate to "choking on anime"? Are you trying to victimize yourself like tumblr?

Having an anime is not a negative trait, and at least in here of all places, it is a positive point.
>>
File: 00.jpg (360 KB, 800x1129) Image search: [Google]
00.jpg
360 KB, 800x1129
>>46344403
I would prefer a SOL show about cute girl doing cute thing while playing magic.
>>
>>46363102
And yelling YOU ACTIVATED MY TRAP CARD
>>
File: 1413502341715.jpg (104 KB, 497x640) Image search: [Google]
1413502341715.jpg
104 KB, 497x640
>>46369869
>mfw she gutshots it on the next panel
>>
>>46369869
Huh there is another one of these floating around eh? Got a source?
>>
File: 14.jpg (367 KB, 800x1125) Image search: [Google]
14.jpg
367 KB, 800x1125
>>46370124
http://dynasty-scans.com/chapters/if_the_light_music_club_played_magic_the_gathering_ch01
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 54

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.