[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Hypotheical Scenarios
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8
File: digambara.jpg (53 KB, 560x360) Image search: [Google]
digambara.jpg
53 KB, 560x360
>Alright, my character is a female cleric who has sworn off the possession of material goods.
>This means that she is completely naked at all times because she doesn't own clothes; she has a holy symbol tattooed on each of her palms.
>No, dude, it's totally not Magical Realm, I based her on Digambara Jain religious traditions.

If you were the GM, how would you react to this?
>>
Ask: What does her being female add to the game that a male character would not? Perhaps some people in the group would be more comfortable if your character was male.
>>
>>46331369
Roll Anal Circumference.
>>
Butt naked people aren't sexually arousing in non sexual situations and generally look laughtable, so I'd be okay with it.
>>
>>46331369
>Cleric
>No Armor
"Jhon you're gonna get ran over in one hit, put something on you twit."
>>
>>46331400
>more comfortable
You sound like the biggest faggot, holy shit.
>>
>>46331400
>Ask: What does him being male add to the game that a female character would not?
This is how retarded you sound.
>>
>>46331400
>What does her being female add to the game that a male character would not?

Apportunity for heterosexual romance between PCs, duh
>>
Rolled 30 (1d100)

>>46331403

This.
>>
>>46331369
she can still wear armor no?
another PC can just give her the armor so she is protected (because he cares about her well being/ so she isn't such a liability) but she isn't owning the armor, he is lending it to her.
>>
>>46331496
What are you, Amish?
>>
>>46331407
Especially considering what titties look like after a life of not being constrained.

Like a cooked egg hanging from a nail.
>>
In the course of productive labor, you can use items that don't belong to you personally, from protective overalls to a bulldozer.
>>
>>46331437
>As if steel plate would protect you from dragon fire (or anything else) better than divine intervention
OP just needs to have good Dex and cross-class Monk.
>>
>>46331369

I'd be alright with it if they were the same gender as the player and explicitly made them very unattractive (by their own standards, I guess). It's technically a valid character concept but it's also obviously the kind of thing someone would bring to the table to get awkward sexual thrills so some steps need to be taken to reign in it and make sure they are playing it for the sake of the concept alone.
>>
>>46331496
>>46331529
Now you guys are making we want to play a priest/monk who abuses technicalities to amass a small fortune.
>>
>>46331544
(Moving Fast + Armor) > (Moving Fast)
>>
>>46331400
I wouldn't be comfortable with either
>>
>>46331552
>Small Fortunes
Begging Priests were nowhere near rich.
>>
>>46331369
I wouldn't adjust the enemies to account for this obvious weakness. You want to play something special, you deal with the consequences.
>>
>>46331584
>caring about historical accuracy in fantasy settings

wew lad
>>
>>46331522
But no sagging?
>>
>>46331565
Then have the GM house-rule some feats that grant "divine protection" that only applies if the character isn't wearing material armor.

+4 AC/feat up to a max of +12 seems reasonable, given that by the third feat a regular cleric would have full plate with a good bonus at that level.
>>
>>46331522
Wasn't there a study that said that bras make breasts sag?
>>
File: 126546308.png (81 KB, 500x243) Image search: [Google]
126546308.png
81 KB, 500x243
>>46331369
Shrug and ask the other players if they are okay with having a naked person following them around.

Then tell them that if they go with it, there will be severe in game consequences.
>>
>>46331496

That's actually an interesting solution. If someone in the party lends them clothes and armor that shouldn't really violate their tenets, they don't own any of it and are merely using it in the course of a dangerous quest for safety. More importantly the player's reaction to that suggestion would reveal quite a bit of information as to their actual intentions.

This raises another question though, how do they eat? Food is a material good and it generally works by you going to buy some, gaining ownership of it and then eating it. Even foraging in the woods would technically bestow ownership of the fruits of such to the forager by the law of the land.
>>
>>46331710
>This raises another question though, how do they eat?
I imagine by donations until they get spells that let them create food.
>>
File: grandmaIMfull.gif (2 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
grandmaIMfull.gif
2 MB, 500x281
>>46331769
>by donations
hahaha i can't imagine that with a straight face.

the party is gorging down on nicely roasted pig after a good day of adventuring and the priest is just sitting there, on the verge of collapsing due to starvation, but she can't have anything. So she is just looking everyone in the eyes like a puppy, begging for food.
>>
>>46331769

So why can't they wear donated clothes?
>>
>>46331369
Digambara Jain nuns wear thin white clothes, given a quick Google search.
Your player is bullshitting you.
>>
>>46331849
because if stuff has been donated to you it means that it switched owners and that you are now the owner of those clothes. While, if they had been merely lend to you, you are not, because the one who lend them can take them back at any time.
>>
>>46331849
Because that's what real monks do when they make a vow of poverty.
>>
>>46331916

The same is true of food though, if someone donates food to you then you now own that food. You can't say one is alright and not the other, it doesn't work like that.

>>46331921

Yeah, but real people do poorly thought through things all the time. If someone comes to me with a character concept like this I'd expect an actual explanation of why it works.
>>
>>46332051
>You can't say one is alright and not the other, it doesn't work like that
i'm not him. And I can't really answer the thing with the food because I stand with this guy>>46331710 -> they can't loot trees because those fruits belong to the master of the forest/land (the feudal lord or what are they called)
>>
>>46332051
>Yeah
No.
>>
>>46331655
pretty sure the vow of poverty line from Book of Exalted Deeds does this, but in my experience never quite catches up to what a WBL cleric would have.
>>
>>46331845
>>46332051
Looking at how Jains do it, they have very severe dietary restrictions. Even stricter for monks and nuns. Someone like the PC in OPs post would only be able to accept food that was freely given and not specifically prepared for them, or else freely available such as in the wild.
>>
>>46331573
>2016
>doesn't like flaccid cocks
what?
>>
>>46332290
does that mean that every time a party would cook something they would have to specifically tell the priest that this food isn't for her?
>>
>>46332290

But why does that work? How does it actually get around the restriction on material goods? A player is threatening to turn your group into an ERP, don't accept vagaries. They need a hard, coherent explanation for why their character should behave a certain way, especially given that supposedly this all started as "it just makes sense that they would be naked all the time."
>>
>>46332439
>But why does that work?

No idea, but apparently it does. Else Jains would have starved to death.
>>
>>46332439
>But why does that work?
because religion is odd
>>
>>46331664
Yes. Because the breasts are supported by the article of clothing, the muscle in that area gets weak, and unable to support the weight naturally.
>>
File: dealwithitgif.gif (2 MB, 300x170) Image search: [Google]
dealwithitgif.gif
2 MB, 300x170
>>46331369
>That's neat, man, but I implore you to reconsider. In this setting, both the weather and the general population will give you a lot of shit, since this is not only extremely uncommon but also completely fucking impractical. Double so If you're going to adventure.
Then
Second session in, I drop the party into amine where they lose all of their stuff.
Third session in, They're still in the mines, much deeper in and with their stuff reclaimed.
And you can bet I'm going to penalize the shit out of the naked cleric, to the point where she either breaks her vow or die.
All while I act like the mine sequence was planned way before the chargen.
I'm not even sorry
>>
File: louis_de_funes.jpg (11 KB, 216x300) Image search: [Google]
louis_de_funes.jpg
11 KB, 216x300
>>46331369
Dude, I told you we're playing Mouse Guard
>>
>>46331641
>>46331584
they weren't rich if they kept to their original goal
a lot of monasteries started out about living in poverty and ended up being filthy rich
anon is talking about being one of those
>>
>>46333174
If you were playing Mouse Guard, the mice are already 'naked' and the only thing she would have to worry about would be weapons and environmental gear.
Also, her cloak. It would be considered really weird for a member of the Guard not to have a Guard cloak.
>>
>>46331369
>If you were the GM, how would you react to this?

While there is nothing inherently bad about your design, it does not fit the proper aesthetic that I'm trying to use with this setting. Please change it.
>>
File: 1445100671940.jpg (239 KB, 1044x770) Image search: [Google]
1445100671940.jpg
239 KB, 1044x770
>>46333088
Shitty DM detected
>>
What iff you were to forage for food on the assumption that you're going to return it in the form of fertilizer and whatnot?

There's obviously the question of the nutrients your body will snatch away from nature as you prepare the fertilizer, but isn't that more the fault of your digestive microbiome?

And speaking of which, would you have to disown your gut bacteria and mitochondria, or assume they're part of you?
>>
>>46333620
>on the assumption that you're going to return it in the form of fertilizer and whatnot?
By that some logic you could have a huge amount of money on the bank because it's being used by those people.
When you get to spend the money you are strengthening the economy, so that's okay too, right?
Basically the richer you are and the more glamorously you live the better.

That's not what a vow of poverty is about.
>>
>>46333837
A vow of poverty is basically "I think the world is evil so I must make myself as useful as possible to deal with it".
>>
>>46333088
>>
>>46331369
More importantly, Jains are also, and more notably, terminally non-violent, to the point of trying their level best to not crush insects by walking on them or breathing them.

Why would a naked beggar who hopes to live in harmony with the entire living world follow a bunch of homicidal vagrants whose daily activities are mass-murder, grave-robbing and the acquisition of weapons of mass destruction ?

Naked hermits and practitioners of extreme austerities are also a thing in medieval Europe and is completely sacred in the correct context (see, pic related, Penitent Mary Magdalene) so the concept is not totally out there even in the most stupid "Dragon and wizards, okay, sure, but yogi and black people ? In my MedFan ? This breaks my suspension of disbelief" setting.

But, they are peaceful hermits, not adventurers, hired killers, holy warriors or what have you. Even in the Mahabharata that crawls under ascetic heroes, notably Bhishma, whose austerities have been so excessive the gods renamed him "He is terrible" and he survived two chapters while pierced with so much arrows he didn't touch the ground anymore, austerities are something in the past, they banked ascetic powers and came back to The World to haul loots and kick ass.

As for the nakedness thing, it's a thing only if you let it be a thing. Who cares if the player gets his jollies in private, if he's sufficiently cooperative, efficient and fun to play with ?
>>
>>46333837
There's only so much you can give up though, you're not going to start depriving yourself of body parts so that you have less possessions are you?
>>
>>46331664
>Wasn't there a study that said that bras make breasts sag?
Yes. Ceasing to wear a bra also causes the breasts to reverse sagging.
>>
>>46332765

>the point
>your head
>>
>>46331369
Run a campaign in extremely cold climates and have her killed off by exposure
>>
>>46333917
>why would a naked beggar follow a bunch of homicidal vagrants

Perhaps to lead them to enlightenment by example?

Painfully naive, yes, but an admirable goal.
Thread replies: 59
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.