[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's the critical failure with the most sever consequences
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7
File: 1367514052731.gif (1 MB, 240x260) Image search: [Google]
1367514052731.gif
1 MB, 240x260
What's the critical failure with the most sever consequences you've ever experienced in any tabletop roleplaying game?
>>
>>46329982
Well one of my players (a lvl 6 figther) got killed by a single ghoul since he got a nat 1 on the save against paralysis and proceeded to get coup-de-graced by said ghoul for an instant kill ( he botched the save against that aswell)
>>
Player crit failed a reflex save (-1 mod and rolled a 1) and fell into the pit trap. The party tried to get him out in the middle of combat and suffered a few serious attacks of opportunity and died shortly after. The TPK really sucked but we made new characters and played as people in an adjacent country, eventually coming upon the place where our other PCs died.
>>
An attempt to land a plane on an aircraft carrier in a GURPS game focusing on air combat. First was a failure by five degrees. DM proceed to let me try and bring the plane up to try another pass, critical failure on that one resulted in death by ball of fire.
>>
In Rogue Trader, we botched our Navigation rolls and got attacked by a warp kraken, and desperately re translated into real space to escape. And we popped back into real space on the edge of a supermassive gas giant's atmosphere. Oops. Everyone on board the ship except the PCs died, and the PCs ended up crashed on a stone age feral worlds and spent the rest of the game setting themselves up as god-kings and praying that they got to 'return to Heaven' soon. They died on the planet, the planet was rediscovered a century later, and the entire cult the PCs started got purged for heresy.
>>
>>46329982
can't find it but someone post a story about the guy who made the explosive rune book, tried throwing it on a boat and crit failed.
>>
I once played a mutants and masterminds game run by a friend's kid. The kid must have been no older than ten or so and it was his first time running a game. We started at some fancy party and then the police attacked for some reason so we fled. As we got outside with a few rolls to find our way out of the building and opening a locked fire escape door (the police locked it before attacking, of course), we were told that we would need a further roll to cross the street outside safely.

I crit failed a roll to cross the street and was run over by a car.

At least I didn't die. I had regeneration powers.
>>
>>46329982
It'd be just a few weeks ago. The players were meddling in the underworld of a very large city, peddling contraband, making deals, currying favour with a few factions above and under the law and dodging assassins that want them dead because of background reasons. The leader of these rival assassins was a martial-arts hotshot and had taken control of the guild after a coup of some sorts. One of the PC's was also a monk so they were natural adversaries. The assassin leader type had fought with them a few times and they mostly ended up on top after a few lucky turns. Now a few weeks ago a veritable assassin war breaks loose, and everyone in the underworld starts making their move for power/legitimacy/money all at once, and the party seeks out the assassin leader amidst the chaos. Only, he's got ten of his killer buddies with him, and is on a mission to kill some really high up, clearly outnumbering the PC's and they're not here to play. One of the party's allies show up, and tells them to get out, because they'll get wrecked by them. The assassins even offer to put their feud aside momentarily because they really need to whack this one here dude real quick while the city's on fire so they can collect their huge bounty and the monk player is small fish compared to that.

But nooo, my usually so careful players decide that, despite the fact that the previous encounters with this assassin leader ended with them winning by a small margin, but him getting away all the same, now is the moment to end him and his guild once and for all. That might have been the worst of it, but like a proper guild that makes its living by ambushing and killing people, they've got a few flanking groups set up around the area. The players botch their perception, insight AND stealth rolls, rolling a total of four 1's. Two crits later from the flanking group that ambushed them in their backs and they're in negatives, their ally afterwards killed by fifteen-something trained murderers.
>>
>>46329982
Had a DM who liked exploding 20s going negative and positive. So if you nat 1, you roll a d20 and the result is the penalty you take, a 20 after a one explodes even farther into the negative.

We were playing with tons of homebrew and alt rules in a homebrew setting, so the DM would award special perks and bonuses for spectacular rolls or roleplay.

I attempted to see the magical structure of a hostile spell taking form above the party (a skill in this setting) and rolled 1 20 20 18

I failed so damn hard I saw right past the world and magic and into the future, becoming a oracle of sorts and acquiring hefty amounts of taint.

Another time I just nat 1'd a diplomacy roll normally, for -1 total. Resulting in me missing my final chance to not go to prison, and killing off my character.
>>
>>46329982
Rolled 6 consecutive 1s on a flying attack. The resulting faceplant killed me outright.

It was against some fleeing mook too.
>>
>>46332151

Honestly, that sounds like 40k done right. The perfect amount of grimdark and absolutely hilarious.
>>
>>46332045

You know what, I wouldn't have even had you roll for that. As GM I'd have just said "You land and head for debriefing" (or whatever it is that Navy flyboys do right after they land).
>>
>>46332151
That sounds amazing.
>>
My character tripped when running after a wanted individual, and the world ended up being destroyed.
>>
>>46338118

Shit that never happened
>>
Was playing Star Wars d20. Bummed an astrogate check. DM let me roll again to see if I could fix my fuckup. Another nat 1. We ended up crash landing onto Hoth. We later froze to death.
>>
>>46329982
Someone post the "all those dead kids man" screen cap. I would but I'm on mobile
>>
File: 1445786468636.png (310 KB, 477x724) Image search: [Google]
1445786468636.png
310 KB, 477x724
>>46332045
Were there any survivors of the plane crash?
>>
>>46329982
>roll 20 with a bow
>yay
>okay now roll to see who you got
>wait what
>newplayer.jpg
>playing on D20
>Roll 1d2 (coin flip)
>roll 1
>I hit our bard
>He dies in one shot
>we have no raise dead or res scrolls
>we give him a Viking funeral
>player takes it like a champ. Just rolls up a new character.
>>
>>46338371
that's fucking retarded
>>
File: 1410490011504s.jpg (9 KB, 231x250) Image search: [Google]
1410490011504s.jpg
9 KB, 231x250
>>46329982
Crit failed a musket load in the heat of combat and the thing exploded when I fired it, took my right hand and eye with it.
>>
>>46338216
Last chance to stop a world ending ritual after bungling several times. Rest of party was dead, my weapon had been broken when we were assaulted by an angry cultist mob of about 3000 people after failing to stop the ritual at that point in time.

Made a roll to tackle the guy about to start it and hopefully take and break the magical focus he had. Instead I crit failed, the DM said I tripped over my own two feet, he walked by me and started it up.
>>
>>46338371
That... That's stupid.
>>
>>46329982
>40K Black Crusade
>Nurgle CSM Sorcerer
>Experimentan with genetics and stuff
>Wants to enhance something with a psychic power
>Pretty routine, should be perfectly fine.
>Rolls doubles
>Rolls Perils of the Warp
>Rolls 100
>Pops

Well, shit
>>
File: 1443803320470.jpg (263 KB, 818x1494) Image search: [Google]
1443803320470.jpg
263 KB, 818x1494
>>46338243
>>
>>46329982
Fell off a building, died, and thus didn't manage to stop the bad guy from detonating the thermonuclear warhead.

Then the Acanthus jumped back in time to give us a do-over.
>>
File: Top_Gun_NES_Landing.png (2 KB, 256x224) Image search: [Google]
Top_Gun_NES_Landing.png
2 KB, 256x224
>>46332045
>>
>>46338605
>>46338526
It was not my shining moment.
>>
>>46329982
A level 1 Ranger who "spent 40 years in a woods as a hermit" with 0 ranks in knowledge nature and survival but max ranks in diplomacy drank contaminated water and rolled a natural one on their fortitude saving throw to not shit themselves in the middle of this oasis festival. Then to be nice I tried to give them a reflex to run to a bathroom. Another natural 1. So instead of running to the bathroom their pants fell down as they started to sprint and they tripped so I flipped a coin to see which side they fell on and they fell ass up and sprayed diarrhea all over the street and became a local legend that spread and became a regional legend.
>>
>>46329982
Ranger missed a shot with his bow and hit the rogue in the butt. Said rogue already didn't like him because he mentioned to their quest NPC that she tried to pick the lock on a thing he wanted, but that pretty much sealed her everlasting hatred of my character.
Also in that encounter was another miss that hit the fighter with the ungodly AC, also in her tush. Barely thankfully that player hit scheduling problems so there wasn't the chance for a coalition to be formed to crucify my character.
>>
Call of Cthulhu.

Investigator climbs atop an outhouse for a better angle to lob a stick of dynamite into a cult scene.

Slips.

Falls.

Hits head.

Dies.

Dynamite blows up.

Rest of team killed or severely wounded.

Shub Nigguruth consumes North America. Possibly the world.
>>
tried to dodge an attack by teleporting, rolled a 1, teleported into a friendly, mid-air arrow

It was a delve, though, so he just grabbed a new character
>>
Early early game of mine, level 1 party got attacked by some dire weasels. They were doing fine, killed one of the five weasels, and then I rolled for the weasels. Dice had the weasel attack our wizard, who had shitty con and low hit die anyway, but the weasel's shouldn't have been able to kill him.

Roll for the weasel. Nat 20.
Okay, weasel did lots of damage, knocked you into the negatives. Roll for next weasel's target. Well, it's the wizard.
Roll to hit. Nat 20.
Fuck it, roll for the third weasel. Rolls the wizard.

After I did the damage for it,our poor little wizard took somewhere in the realm of six times his max health in a single round.
The party carried his remains in a mason jar in hope of finding a cleric for the next couple sessions.
>>
>>46338527
I had an Aarakocra use an investigate check to figure out what a rifle was, blew his face off, party crit failed a medicine check to stabilize while the one with spare they dying was stable but unconscious. Died on his final death save. The rifle was part of a reward
>>
>>46329982
I saw this movie literally just two days ago, even though I didn't even know it existed until then. Uncanny.
>>
>>46329982
>Be DMForever
>Critical Success with an NPC
>Bridge guard, level 4 fighter, on the lookout in a high alert state, looking for the party
>Party level 24 Lich; Monk 27; Rogue 23; Drow Dervish Fighter Scout Vampire 20; Clericzilla DivineMetamagic 27
>Roll on table for all to see
>Rogue says I'll handle this
>Rogue is terrible at convincing NPC's or lying IRL and in game for some reason.
>Guard wins initiative NAT 20 Rogue Nat 1
>Guard rolls to hit, Nat 20, confirms it with another Nat 20. Crit warhammer x3 ugh ~30 dmg
>Rogue, damaged for ~1/3 of his hp, says I wanna subdue him.
>Nat 1
>Guard Roll to hit NAT 20 confirms with another Nat 20 (Crit hit card says rogue is flatfooted for the next round)
>Rogue says FUCK IT! 3 attacks! Lets roll!
>Nat 1 all three
>Rest of the party watches stunned the other guard knocked out from the presence of the artifact on the rogue. But this HERO of the City keeps saving it all. (Be it its an easy save of 10 Willsave but still, every round)
>Guard goes to town again rolling an 18 + 5 hits again
>Rogue not feeling too good, he's chipped down...
>Tries one sneak attack shadowjump combo for one devastating attack. Goes behind the target, surprising him and NAT 1 misses.
>Guard terrified a bit (Saved Willsave 10 again) turns around and full power attack for the extra damage... guess what...
>Nat 20
>Rogue dies.

And that is how level four pummeled level 23 rogue in a 3.5 D&D
>>
>>46348163
Forgot the pic of the party
>>
>>46329982
After the sorcerer rolled 4 1's in a row to do... Something normally impossible. I made there spine into a true immovable rod relative to the sun.

Every year that spin passed through the area. Eventually a holiday was made about it. Called spinal tap
>>
>>46329982
I posted this a week or two ago, so I'm not going to give the long version, but I managed to TPK not just players, but every significant NPC in the campaign, with the last attack of the last mission of the campaign. Evacuating in a dropship, critical failure with a thrown grenade, boom. Killed a dozen or so people, everything from the other PC, to the medicae who had just removed a fleshborer beetle from my other arm, to the our Inquisitor in artificer power armor, thanks to the exploding damage rules. And somehow, I survived despite it going off in my hand.
>>
CoC

>Players are investigating a haunted house
>They hear a noise in the attic
>Decide to investigate
>Cocky player who doesn't believe CoC is as lethal as everyone says decides to take the lead
>Open the hatch into the attic
>Climbs up and pokes his head in with a flashlight
>Sees nothing
>Hears the sound of an animal running towards him
>Still sees nothing, so he doesnt move
>Roll opposed physical attack
>Beast crits and he crit fails
>"All everyone bellow you sees is your body begin to shake vigorously, and blood trickling down your body."
>Players freak out and grab his legs.
>Tug of war with an unspeakable horror
>Three party members manage to win an opposed strength check against this thing
>Pull the headless corpse of their friend down
>All covered in blood
>Rolls new character, never takes the lead ever again.
Thread replies: 40
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.