[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I'm designing a time travel game. What settings can I include
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3
File: 2.jpg (305 KB, 800x1066) Image search: [Google]
2.jpg
305 KB, 800x1066
I'm designing a time travel game. What settings can I include besides the following:
>Prehistoric
>Antiquity
>Medieval
>Age of Sail
>Renaissance
>Industrial Revolution/Wild West
>Near Future/Cyberpunk
>>
>>46321839
Far Future/Grim Darkness Where There Is Only War
>>
http://www.stratigraphy.org/index.php/ics-chart-timescale
>>
>>46321839

Last Tuesday at Eric's place. You know what I'm talking about.
>>
Utopian future
>>
With just those broad strokes, really the only place left to go is the future.

Personally, I find time travel to be more interesting not on the era but the event. I personally want to see the battle of Troy, the battle of Gettysburg, and the Mongols being the Mongols. Even excluding war, I would love to sit in at an old Greek democratic meeting, or any peaceful meeting between Native American tribes, or when Pompeii was destroyed.

So yeah, in broad strokes, I listed a bunch of shit you said not to, but fuck you, the events are way more important and interesting than just general time periods of "stuff happened."
>>
>>46321839
Stone Age - After Prehistory, Before Antiquity
Bronze Age - Before Antiquity, after Prehistory
Age of Sail comes after Renaissance, not before.
Enlightenment - After Age of Sail, before Industrial Revolution
World War II.
>>
>>46321839
Pre-Theia Impact Earth.
>>
>>46321839
Post-Human future
Different places at different times.
For example, life in the Gupta Empire was a lot different than life as a serf in post-collapse Western Roman Empire.
>>
>>46323158
>literally nothing of interest if you aren't a geologist with a fairly niche area of research
>>
>>46321839
Pre-Prehistoric, with Old Ones still walking
>>
File: enhanced-23511-1440727522-2.jpg (84 KB, 625x416) Image search: [Google]
enhanced-23511-1440727522-2.jpg
84 KB, 625x416
>>46321839
What interests me personally most about time travel is the capacity for change, and what might have been. Long story short (because my last rather bloated post just got deleted by my own idiocy) what happens if a person/thing from the industrial revolution goes back to the medieval era? Does this open up new options?

>>46323085
Generally I would agree with this. In reducing the entirety of human history to six little chunks, too much abstraction can spoil the fun; I say "think of the 1980s" and all you get is yuppies and Duran Duran while the fall of the Berlin Wall just sidles on by. Are you at least planning on having different locations within each period (e.g. the splitting of Industrial revolution and Wild West on your list)?

>>46322209
I would also agree with this guy, in that your list seems to be missing the present day (as well as the 20th century which, and let's be fair here, was pretty goddamn busy)
>>
>>46321839
Final boss takes place during the great dying
>>
>>46321839
Various stages of the future. The year 2580 to 50,000 AD, and everything in between. The last great Ice Age. Prehistory goes backway further than people do. There is the ages of the Dinosaurs, obviously, but then there are the times of crocodiles that were big enough to eat the dinosaurs, and snakes large enough to wrap around and choke out a school bus. I always thought playing a game right smack dab in the middle of the Toba aftermath would be cool. Africa and India at the height of colonization and big game hunting. There are lots of options if you're willing to get specific.

Forgive the piecemeal thought process. I was just kinda throwing them out as they came to me.
>>
File: chronotrigger-snes.jpg (45 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
chronotrigger-snes.jpg
45 KB, 500x375
>>46321839
Here you go OP
>>
>>46321856
That would be the Muslim Future where they have 2/3 of the world and are using nukes to subjugate the last 1/3.
Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.