[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eclipse Phase General - Mean Streets Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 66
File: Cityscape 9.jpg (456 KB, 2539x1459) Image search: [Google]
Cityscape 9.jpg
456 KB, 2539x1459
OFFICIAL BOOKS
>Eclipse Phase PDFs
http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs
>Zone Stalkers
http://www.mediafire.com/view/d0hpgo776xpx50p/Eclipse_Phase_Zone_Stalkers.pdf
>Morph Recognition Guide
http://www.mediafire.com/download/j4bjbba89kw8v0y/Eclipse_Phase_Morph_Recognition_Guide_%286098716%29.pdf
>Million Year Echo
http://www.mediafire.com/view/f53f1c5yq777tpk/Million_Year_Echo.pdf
>Firewall (Updated):
http://www.mediafire.com/view/9jg6q9d9kqa59qu/Eclipse_Phase_Firewall_(7029562).pdf
>Transhumanity's FATE (FATE Conversion)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ae113ujgd3hggpl/Transhumanitys_FATE.pdf

PLAY AIDS:
>10 things you should know about Eclipse Phase
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qnrh0w7H0Jl2_CSsySRxcs4ugw27xsBIk5MYwXq2nDQ/edit
>Advice for new players and GMs
http://pastebin.com/e0EErN6X
>Online character creator
http://eclipsephase.next-loop.com/Creator/version4/index.php
>Eclipse Phase hacking cheet sheet
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?axe1vs35muk4juh
>Eclipse Phase xls Character sheet
https://sites.google.com/site/eclipsephases/home/cabinet

HOMEBREW AND COMMUNITY CONTENT:
>3 new adventures for your use in convenient PDF form
http://awdaberton.wordpress.com/about/
>Various Eclipse Phase fanmade resources, and links to more
http://www.aleph.se/EclipsePhase/
>An Eclipse Phase yearblog full of items, locations, NPCs, and plot hooks
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dhqd1m83xc1wmpj/Farcast_Yearblog_2013.pdf
>Community homebrew document
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19Gy02gp6-WPQ3SoN_24kLPTUu5EjFO8qh_9pjJSVrrY/edit
>A metric shit ton of additional guns/ammo/weapon mods
http://eclipsephase.com/sites/default/files/UltimatesGuideToCombat11a.pdf

How do you depict cities and settlements, /epg/? Do you change anything?
>>
File: nocticqianjiao.png (1 MB, 1226x794) Image search: [Google]
nocticqianjiao.png
1 MB, 1226x794
>>46320953
>How do you depict cities and settlements, /epg/? Do you change anything?

Eh, nah, I mostly keep it to the book material unless I'm doing something completely new. I like to use it to supplement and enhance my own work
>>
File: capsule hotel.jpg (258 KB, 1258x635) Image search: [Google]
capsule hotel.jpg
258 KB, 1258x635
>>46320953
Claustrophobic and overstimulating
>>
>>46320953
Post questionnaires
>>
>>46321293
the only one that needs to be posted is the jovian infosec operator who's a gachimuchi fangirl or something
>>
File: Sentinels.png (1 MB, 1193x755) Image search: [Google]
Sentinels.png
1 MB, 1193x755
>>46321427

You mean our jovian waifu?
>>
>>46321461
>5 PCs
>For Eclipse Phase
That seems mildly over-optimistic.
>>
>>46321461
>>46321508
>5 PCs

For some reason every time I saw that image I thought the thing in the background was a vehicle or a ship. It never occurred to me that it was a synth.
>>
File: Arachnoid.png (1 MB, 1195x975) Image search: [Google]
Arachnoid.png
1 MB, 1195x975
>>46321508

I mean, Know Evil had 5 or 6 some of the time. And a couple of those guys freelance for EP.

>>46321541

Yep, that's an Arachnoid back there
>>
>>46321508

I ran a campaign with 5 players, once, so not that much a stretch. And a few one-offs with two of the players.
>>
>>46321632
>>46321461
>>46321541
So let's count them, left to right
>Anarchist in a pleasure pod, the face
>Jovian in a splicer, probably the hardware gal
>I'm going to guess erasure guy in an arachnikoma
>Mercurial neo-orang
>Oversight agent
So I'm imagining them as surprisingly representative of /epg/
>>
>>46321461
yeah her only flaw is her gay fetish
>>
>>46320953
Never played eclipse phase but I have a question. Can you copy your own ego and have that ego in multiple morphs at the same time. If not is there a reason in the fluff as to why that is?
>>
>>46321795
Yes, you can, it's called forking and is routine for many people.
>>
>>46321795
>Can you copy your own ego and have that ego in multiple morphs at the same time
You sure can

>If not is there a reason in the fluff as to why that is?
The main reasons people refrain from doing it are scarcity and expense of morphs, plus the risk in merging forks once you've had your fun. Of course you could just let them stick around, but having exact duplicates of your own mind can create its own problems.
>>
>>46321841
>The main reasons people refrain from doing it are scarcity and expense of morphs, plus the risk in merging forks once you've had your fun
You forgot that it's illegal in most of the inner system.
>>
>>46321841
People must really be prudes in the future then if that's possible and only 1 billion transhumans remain.
>>
>>46321880
Or should I say prudes when you factor forking into account.
>>
>>46321880
>>46321911
You're underestimating how expensive morphs are. Most people are lucky if they can afford a synth, let alone a body they actually want. There's also very little reason to create embodied copies of yourself, most tasks that you need an extra pair of hands for don't require another copy of your own mind, and most tasks that need another copy of your own mind don't need a body.
>>
>>
>>46321978
Does the 1 billion not include infomorphs on the mesh?
>>
>>46321861
Only if you fork permanently
>>
>>46322122
The population estimates the books give are all over the place. The corebook says the majority of people are splicers, while Transhuman says the majority are 'clanking around in indentured synths.' Depending on which source you believe, there might be as many or more people in dead storage as there are out.
>>
>>46322248
People in cold storage definitely aren't counted in the population figures.

Makes sense considering how many are likely to be stored in more than one place or be backups of people who are kicking around.
>>
>>46321508
That's only two PCs. The bodies are stolen and the egos are forks.
>>
File: Tin Can Hab.jpg (199 KB, 1178x648) Image search: [Google]
Tin Can Hab.jpg
199 KB, 1178x648
>>
>>46322705
>21XX
>using monitors instead of AR
>>
File: t. factor.png (28 KB, 1129x628) Image search: [Google]
t. factor.png
28 KB, 1129x628
Have any of you anons ever used the factors in a game?
>>
>>46322985
Those fucking goo cunts can suck dick. The crap they're selling is shit and I wouldn't trust them for directions to the bathroom, let alone take their advice on gate use.
>>
File: Morph Brokerage.jpg (940 KB, 1024x1446) Image search: [Google]
Morph Brokerage.jpg
940 KB, 1024x1446
>>
File: HealingVat.png (2 MB, 1281x857) Image search: [Google]
HealingVat.png
2 MB, 1281x857
>>
does the catholic church have any new saints 10AF? Do they object to nobody using AD anymore, or do they accept that the Lord has ceded the year to the TITANs. Would it be viable to infiltrate the republic through the Vatican? How open to AGI, instantiated, and uplifted converts are they? Would a Jesuit preacher Argonaut firewall agent be allowable?
>>
>>46323922
AF year keeping is a minor thing that bothers me about the setting. I understand why the devs did it but I just can't accept that everybody, or even the majority, would switch over from AD.
>>
>See lack of shitposting last thread
>Decide to remedy that before naptime
>Entire thread explodes even after I flat out admit I'm trolling and what I've written is horrifying.

You know, memetic engineering suddenly makes a lot more sense in the setting concepts.
>>
>>46323986
It's supposed to be like Transmetropolitan where the majority of humanity genuinely doesn't know what year it is
>>
>>46324032

Some people kept up being shitty, and apparently /epg/ doesn't know how to not bite. I bet they open emails from princes on Iapetus too.
>>
File: 6780201.jpg (1 MB, 2000x1414) Image search: [Google]
6780201.jpg
1 MB, 2000x1414
So I've figured out how to harness antimatter from a planet's magnetosphere and how to mindrape someone so bad they will delete their own backups for me. What other shenanigans can I get up to?

Where my exsurgent homeboys at?
>>
>>46324032
>n-no I was just baiting you, see? I'm not a moron, honest ;_;

Nice try, infugee. Back to dead storage with you
>>
>>46324110
>the exsurgent virus is real
>the TITANs were real
>the Fall wasn't a conspiracy orchestrated by the hypercorps

*tips vacsuit*
>>
>>46324084
That's absurd. Millions of people survived the fall. Some planets and many habs were relatively untouched by the destruction. It would be common knowledge.
>>
>>46323986
It was mostly the people being fedoric, then other trolls seemed to sense people biting.
>>46324084
>>46323986
It's probably 2290. Maybe 2140. Rimward mentions that Uranus is coming around to solstice again, currently mid-spring. The next Uranian vernal is.. 2050, I think, which seems too close for EP. Give or take 5 years for the seasonal change.
>>46324126
I'd recommend actually reading the thread.
>>
>>46324180
First one meant to be a link to >>46324093
>>
>>46324110
I'm busy reading my mind while constructing an all encompassing model of my mind so that I know what I'm thinking while knowing what I'm thinking while Knowing what I'm thinking so that my cyclic self imagining mind can eventually selfdestruct my physical mind again and nondestruct my physical mind again
>>
>>46324180
>r-read the thread, please don't put me in cold storage, I'll be good I promise

Nope, too late. Back in the server you go.
>>
>>46324367
Lockean interpretation of the self, anon. It doesn't sound as bullshitty, but that's basically what you've written.
>>46324373
Okay mate. Good luck.
>>
>>46324385
I'm not the one who needs luck, genetrash. Have fun when someone defrosts you in a hundred years. If you thought you were obsolete now, just wait 'till you see what comes after humanity.
>>
>>46324156
Almost everything in this game is absurd.
>>
>>46324413
There's shit that's nearly gibsonesque. And then there's stuff that is more of a political tract than Heinlein's books.

I want more day to day life stuff, like shadowrun. Same devs. Or just gibsony weirdness.
>>
>>46322819
>living in space
>not using hardwired backups
>just not following AA's Common Safety Sense advisory
>"Hey guys, AR is down and I can't reboot it without using AR"
>"How post on JoveChan without AR?"
>>
In AF 10, how popular are actual bands and concerts played with real instruments?
>>
>>46325287
Popular enough, especially in places like Elysium.
>>
/epg/, what's your favorite background, morph, and faction?

Why?
>>
>>46325324
My favorite morph is the flat, because it's the most realistic.

I've got no preferences on backgrounds and factions. None of them are realistic enough for me.
>>
>>46325369
I like this. And the Autonomist Alliance. They're the future of the system.
>>
>>46325287
I'd assume quite popular; with the ease of recording things and passing that data around, actually going to see musicians play could become a useful signifier of social status. Plebs get mass-market experience playbacks of concerts, the truly fashionable, rich and authentic admirers of music see it in person.

Same way I treat most things in my game; if there's a cheap way of doing something, doing it the expensive way becomes a way of showing off social status. You could eat nutritious foodbars extruded by machine, but if you want to impress your peers, you're going to need a personal chef and hydroponics. You could have a chair printed out, but nobody who is anybody is going to deign to sit on anything other than Outsider Art-esque chairs designed by an autistic Brinker at your dinner parties.
>>
>>46325388
They still have autistic people in the future? Wouldn't it be cured by then?
>>
So if Venus is clearly meant to be LA, and Mars London, what other system locations map to real world areas?
>>
>>46325410
Earth is Detroit.
>>
>>46325423
But only the most hardy and worthy survivors, the quickest and cleverest survive in Earth, anon. So clearly all the blacks are dead.
>>
>>46325423
>>46325436
Earth is Boston.
>>
How exactly do the faction/background bonuses work? Are they applied before you calculate the cost to buy skills and stuff, or after?
>>
>>46325511
Before.
>>
>>46325519
Ah. Alright, is there any other stuff like that which isn't super apparent that I'll need to know when making a sheet, and is it okay to post sheets here for people to look over and tell whether it'll be good enough at whatever role it's doing?
>>
>>46325540
If you do, do it with pastebin links or something because they are walls of text, though that goes for many other character sheets.
>>
File: bestrepublic.png (52 KB, 1054x958) Image search: [Google]
bestrepublic.png
52 KB, 1054x958
>>46325324
Indenture, Remade, and Jovians respectively
>>
>>46325324
Oh, you have to ask the tough ones
Let's go through my top three
>Backgrounds
Original Space Colonist - more of a meta choice than anything, since it allows me to guide players on how living in space tends to work. Expect long-winded grognard lectures of building habs with wrenches.
Fall Evacuee - Sometimes with Enclaver, sometimes without. There's just so many stories to be told, and with Enclaver you can get away with some fucked up backgrounds because Megacorps BF could bribe entire governments.
Lost - the ultimate fucked up background. I have made some seriously fucked characters this way, including ones who was crazy because their siblings kept them as a sex slave and are tracking her down so she can teach the submissive in Lost V2 .
>Morph
In no particular order, Ayah, Neotenic, and I can't pick a third since that one is always situational.
>Faction
Belters - Fuck your politics, I have rocks
AA - I attempted to fuck your politics, but created my own. Now we spread our propaganda interdimensionally.
Scum - Fuck your politics, I have sex, drugs, and rock and roll
>>
>>46325407
>Wouldn't it be cured by then?

Assuming that it's basically a genetic disorder, yes. Morphs with it would unlikely pass whatever passes for QA in most places. I don't think the game directly goes "autism has been cured" either way though, but I'd assume that it has been.

Though the sick and cynical part of me would suggest that there are probably morphs out there, available in less regulated markets, that come with genetic disorders, and that psychosurgery of the experimental-and-rather-naughty variety could inflict the symptoms onto an ego. So if you had enough funds and few scruples, you could get your almost genuine autistic outsider art fill, and it probably wouldn't raise that many eyebrows at your weekly hyperelite tea party. Then again, I tend to push the horror angle of the game by going "look at the awful shit you could do with this technology", rather than playing up the "exsurgents and TITANs, oh my!" side of things, so when there's leeway in the setting, I'll always err on the side of technology being wonderful and letting you cure problems, and then the horrible implications of what else it could be used for stem from that.
>>
>>46325324
>background
Emergent AGI Uplift, from Transhuman, with Original Space Colonist coming a close second for the same grognarding opportunities >>46325656
likes. I think the Emergent AGI Uplift is neat, coming up with ideas about behaviour based on what the software did initially is a fun exercise.

>morph
Arachnoids. Oh, and Mimics. Maybe it's because my own body is basically falling apart courtesy of genetics, but I've a soft spot for the weird and wonderful synthetic morphs.

>faction
Solarians and Scum, both for the same reason; less politics, more freedom. Solarians have got that whole serenity thing that's good for playing a character that's happy to be detached when called for. Scum as a faction allow for lots of crazy character concepts and a certain sort of pragmatism that helps a character work alongside whatever other players generally choose to play.
>>
>>46323922
Who the fuck is he going to preach to?
>>
>>46324901
Why would hardwired backups be switched on?
>>
>>46325410
Mars doesn't have nearly enough stabbings for that.
>>
>>46321682
>he's wearing a suit, so he's Oversight
Yeah, no. Suits are still the uniform of businessmen.
>>
>>46323922
After 97 years, they should have a couple new ones.
>>
File: arrest_by_guweiz-d9vnlld.jpg (171 KB, 1024x706) Image search: [Google]
arrest_by_guweiz-d9vnlld.jpg
171 KB, 1024x706
>>
>>46326334
Stabbing jokes aside (I almost got stabbed once on the way home! Yay Newham!), I didn't really get any "London" vibes from the stuff on Mars in EP.
>>
>>46326890
Venus = LA has me confused too

Really, any real city = planet with many diverse cities isn't going to make sense
>>
>>46326998
Chalk it up to people assuming the "Planet = City" convention from Space Opera applies here.
>>
How would people feel if I made maps of Mars, Luna, and Titan? I might also take suggestions for other moons if their cities are in well-defined locations.
>>
>>46327446
>How would people feel if I made maps of Mars, Luna, and Titan?
I believe there is a map of Mars, probably Titan as well. Not near my books, though.
>>
>>46325324
Hyperelite, Fall Evacuee, or AGI

Remade are my number one favorite morph, but there are some others up there.

Ultimate, Singularity Seeker, or Exhuman
>>
File: eclipse phase - mars.jpg (366 KB, 1600x844) Image search: [Google]
eclipse phase - mars.jpg
366 KB, 1600x844
>>46327627
Here's the Mars one at least.
>>
File: and here is titan.png (3 MB, 1420x854) Image search: [Google]
and here is titan.png
3 MB, 1420x854
>>46328377
And here's Titan.
>>
>>46325324
Hyperelite, menton, Titanian.

*tips ushanka*
>>
>>46325436
Hello, /pol/. Why didn't you get the memo when the devs themselves told you to fuck off?
>>
File: laughing hyperelites.jpg (657 KB, 2000x1571) Image search: [Google]
laughing hyperelites.jpg
657 KB, 2000x1571
>>46328595
you shouldn't even ask, because they believe their politics belong everywhere and should involve their memes in everything, to help take over the world.
>>
>>46328595
>w-why don't you listen to me ;_;

Because indentures should be seen, not heard. Unless you'd rather go back to working in the brothel.
>>
>>46320953
> Advice for new Players
> 3: Don't spend a lot of CP on gear, credits or morphs
Why is that? Is it because players are likely to be changing bodies often and credits are easier to earn in play than other things CP can be spent on?
>>
>>46330267
Travelling long distances generally involves egocasting, and that means you're not able to take your things with you. Buying credits with CP is rather inefficient too.
>>
Does anyone know any music that'd fit for this setting?
>>
>>46330477
So what's the recommended way to spend CP? Ego traits, skills, and rep?
>>
>>46330706
Som and Wil as high as you can afford, a shitload of blueprints if you can take them, otherwise, rep, skills, aptitudes.
>>
>>46330738
> Som and Wil as high as you can afford
SOM for sleeving and WIL for what, exactly? Psi?
> aptitudes
Thought that it was a sub-optimal choice since morphs give more for less aptitudes-wise, but it makes sense with egocasting.
>>
>>46330706
>>46330738
If you've got some gear you absolutely must have, get the blueprints. Reputation and the relevant networking are going to be useful to procuring other shit. Basically, there's ways of getting your hands on stuff in the game rather than buying it at character creation, and the skills for getting them can also be used for other stuff.
>>
>>46330267

Depends on the campaign. For the usual Firewall fare, this holds true. Though I ran one where no egocasting ever took place, so no CP was wasted in this sense.
>>
>>46330813

WIL's for getting high LUC and resisting stress. Which is important since stress is a lot harder to heal than damage.
>>
>>46330829
And it means you can get the items over and over again with the blueprints. Your backup has your ego, but there's nothing that says you can't have a bit of data storage attached for a minor fee.

>>46330852
Eh. An Async can repair 1 point every 4 hours, likely completely healing in downtime. A muse can reduce 1 every 8 hours or so, with its psychotherapy skill. If you're not being constantly kicked around you're okay.
>>
>>46330829
>>46330830
>>46330912
I'm still getting through the core. What about the bodies at the destination end of egocasting? Are these bought with CP or credits or does the GM usually provide them?
>>
>>46330958
Body rental service. Buy one with rep. Credits. Get a blueprint and plan ahead by having one printed. Etc. Firewall will often provide bodies.
>>
>>46330989
Makes sense and explains the need for high rep.
>>
>>46331024
This depends on the location you're playing in. Credits are important in the inner system. Mars, Venus, the LLA - all run on credit economies, not rep.
>>
>>46331039
Do the locations change often? I imagine the party doesn't hop planets more than a couple of times in most games.
>>
>>46331075
Depends on your GM.
>>
>>46331075
Really depends on the campaign. EP is one of those games where you probably want to sit down and talk to the person running it before you get too involved with character creation.
>>
>>46331159
Makes sense.
Now, if only I could find a GM to run to an EP campaign…
>>
>>46325410

Think you've got that backwards, especially since Elysium is kind of the LA/Hollywood analog in the system.
>>
If you're playing an Emergent AGI Uplift who's basically going to be a utility guy/hacker/general computer nerd, what shit do you absolutely NEED to be good at it?

Do background/faction bonuses come in before or after you pay for your abilities?
>>
>>46330267

This is more broad advice than specific. The game wants you to treat anything physical as disposable, and players aren't going to do that if they have a favorite gun and spent a shitload of CP on a morph they like. Unless you know for sure you'll be fairly static for an extended period and can thus afford a higher-quality morph, keep it simple. And, of course, /tg/ assumes you aren't going to discuss shit like this with your GM, so er on the side of caution.

It's wrong about credits though. Money make multiple worlds go round. RAW, you can even be required to still pay credits for favors when not working in a pure rep economy.
>>
>>46331291
>if you're going to be something vague, what specific things do you absolutely need?
>>
>>46331380
>If you're going to be X concept that does Y things, as listed in the post, what do you need?

At least try to not be retarded. I'm new to the system, and I'd like to play a hacker type character. Programming/Research/Infosec/Interfacing stuff, with a nanofab spec for programming probably. I don't know what to do with attributes or anything, or if there's gear that's super necessary.
>>
>>46331562
You don't need anything specific to be something vague.
>>
>>46331187
Good luck with that, Anon. The usual problem of "too many players, not enough GMs" applies to Eclipse Phase and, because there's quite a bit to consider when it comes to running a game of Eclipse Phase, prospective GMs might just end up shrugging their shoulders and running something a little more straightforward.
>>
>>46331562
>I don't know what to do with attributes

With the skills you've listed, COG is likely going to be your focus for attributes. Get as much as you can. With things like Poorly Socialized from the Emergent AGI Uplift background, you're unlikely to ever do well as the face of your prospective Firewall cell, so don't worry too much about spending points in SAV.

In general for aptitudes, it can help to just look at the aptitudes linked with the skills you want, and work from there. Throw in your choice of combat skill - this is an RPG, that shit is going to come up - and some Fray.
>>
>>46331875
Erk, meant "attributes" instead of "aptitudes" at the end there, sorry. Got the terms all muddled up.
>>
File: TheStarsOurDestination.png (2 MB, 1193x728) Image search: [Google]
TheStarsOurDestination.png
2 MB, 1193x728
>>
God. I'd love to see the assorted factions react if an EVE Titan turned up in system. Or one from each major empire. The carnage would be magnificent.
>>46332301
>>
File: SteelMorphA.png (445 KB, 404x1524) Image search: [Google]
SteelMorphA.png
445 KB, 404x1524
>>
File: Neo-Orca.jpg (244 KB, 1280x876) Image search: [Google]
Neo-Orca.jpg
244 KB, 1280x876
>>
r/ing the three nested "What I Played" pics for Eclipse Phase, for my own personal amusement.

Also, what does everyone think of the Ultimates? I had heard about the Jovians before I got into EP, but I ended up liking the Ultimates more.

They felt like a more intelligent and nuanced version of the Spartan Federation from Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri, if anyone played that.
>>
>>46333091
> what does everyone think of the Ultimates?
3edgy5me
>>
>>46333091
>Let's get really good at stuff and fight TITANs and shit

cool

>A large portion of us are total assholes and mistreat people

bad

>If you're not in the club we're not going to help you for free

Okay

>Remades only

Why? Morphological options could really expand all kinds of stuff
>>
File: epginanutshell.png (2 MB, 836x1777) Image search: [Google]
epginanutshell.png
2 MB, 836x1777
>>46333091

You mean this?
>>
>>46333425
>Why?

Because you're not perfecting the human condition if you are a fish.
>>
>>46326505
How many businessmen use akimbo pistols though?

>>46330813
SOM helps resist stuff like passing out, falling down, or dropping things when you take a wound. Post people go down to failed SOM checks from wounds rather than running out of DUR.

>>46331291
Background/Faction happens before you spend.

>>46331562
get COG high, all the skills you listed use it, and it's generally useful for computer characters. Get all the software you can, you basically need Intrusion, Sniffer, and Tracker software to hack, and a lot of other software is generally useful for the group as a whole, like a Tacnet. Basics like anonymous account are mandatory for a firewall game, and useful for other kinds of games.

If you want to be an infomorph, get a Sage Eidolon, it's sort of expensive, but it's the only type of morph you can bring through an egocast.

>>46333425
Ultimates aren't Remades only you genetrash, one of the premades is even in a synth.
>>
>>46333443
If only I could get Takeshi Kovacs working for his SCP vampire boss in my /epg/ame.
>>
>>46333464
It could easily be argued that the human condition now includes the possibility of being a fish
>>
File: Exhuman 1.jpg (248 KB, 848x1200) Image search: [Google]
Exhuman 1.jpg
248 KB, 848x1200
>>46333627

You could, but that's not generally how the Ultimates take it.

It's okay to want to be the ultimate swimmer, but it's cheating to just be a fishman. This, I think, is the big difference between Ultimates and Exhumans.
>>
>>46333443
Thanks! That's one of them, I think.

From memory, one had the 'freedom ain't free' Jovian under 'what i got', and another I think was an an all-text in-depth discussion about the applications of various morphs in sex, b/c that's what this shit turns into with half the players out there..
>>
File: Arachnoid.jpg (157 KB, 1165x1000) Image search: [Google]
Arachnoid.jpg
157 KB, 1165x1000
>>
File: epg in a nutshell.png (1 MB, 1155x1637) Image search: [Google]
epg in a nutshell.png
1 MB, 1155x1637
>>46333443
>>
File: epg in a nutshell again.png (2 MB, 1542x2142) Image search: [Google]
epg in a nutshell again.png
2 MB, 1542x2142
>>46334179
>>
File: Proxies.png (1 MB, 1195x807) Image search: [Google]
Proxies.png
1 MB, 1195x807
>>
>>46334211
/r/ing the "it's like you're all crazy about sex!" EPG image
>>
File: eclipse phase general banner.png (253 KB, 968x400) Image search: [Google]
eclipse phase general banner.png
253 KB, 968x400
>>46334818
>>
File: Anarchist Saboteur 3.jpg (138 KB, 800x566) Image search: [Google]
Anarchist Saboteur 3.jpg
138 KB, 800x566
>>
File: autonomist agents.png (4 MB, 1500x2175) Image search: [Google]
autonomist agents.png
4 MB, 1500x2175
>>
File: caselife.jpg (327 KB, 1063x752) Image search: [Google]
caselife.jpg
327 KB, 1063x752
are there any machine supremacist case factions. I love the idea of pro exurgent cases that want to join the TITANs
>>
>>46334179
>>46334211

Bless you, sir.
>>
I'm thinking of running a slice-of-life EP quest, where the char has no knowledge of the setting, but I can't decide which idea to go with
>reconstructed from a brain in a cryotube
>AGI raised solely in a high-fidelity fantasy sim
>something else?
Should I pick one before running or put it up to a player vote?
>>
>>46335697
Quests are cancer, please don't start one.
>>
>>46335410
Sounds a bit like the singularity seeker faction? Add in some exhuman synth tendencies and you're good...whatever that means in this case.
>>
File: Post-Fall 4.jpg (787 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Post-Fall 4.jpg
787 KB, 1920x1080
>>
>>46335697
The first one. Someone maybe not from our time, but from not that much farther in the future.
>>
>>46335697
>reconstructed from a brain in a cryotube
This one, definitely. The protagonist is a revival from 100 BF, gets indentured in a brothel and has to escape
>>
>>46336552
>>46336621
Well, I had the idea of the first thread being the char in a simspace interview room, trying to reconstruct their file, then getting shipped off somewhere.
I was also thinking of advancing the setting year a bit with a ship drive recovered from ancient alien wreckage - mostly to make inter-hab transit easier.
>>
>>46336814
Inter-hab transit is already pretty quick thanks to ramscoops and other bullshit space age travel techniques. For anything farther there's egocasting, which is easy since the main character isn't going to have a morph or any possessions to account for
>>
>>46337043
>ramscoops
No?
>>
>>46337043
Actually, that's due to metallic hydrogen engines.
I was thinking of basically giving an additional travel option in case the char ends up freaking out about egocasting that doesn't involve several months of dealing with the scum (which they can deal with, but options, options, options)
>>
I was also thinking that a primary theme would be "what the fuck happened to the future we were promised?"
was thinking that the name could something like Tarnished Chrome?
>>
>>46337433
If an infugee is afraid of egocasting I've got another destination for them: dead storage
>>
>>46337490
More like 'what the hell did you expect?'

Do the people who get their brains preserved really think the future is going to give away bodies for free? Do they honestly think the future is going to have any place for someone who's 100 years obsolete?
>>
>>46337495
They have no idea what egocasting is, they've never heard the term "infugee". They're from way before the Fall, and probably from before uploading too.
>>
>>46337549
They expected the future to be rich. They were optimistic.
Of course, in 15-20AF, things have gotten a bit better, they're being rezzed by a resource-rich dude who intends to defrost all the people in cryo that he can, because why not?
>>
>>46337549
Are you asking about real life?

Mostly they just think it's better than nothing, and they'll have to adapt to the future.

You might be surprised at how many old skills could be useful in the future though.

http://www.popularmechanics.com/space/a17991/voyager-1-voyager-2-retiring-engineer/

Then there's the anthropology angle
>>
>>46337549
As time-displaced prostitutes?
>>
>>46337882

This.
>>
File: kek.jpg (90 KB, 600x375) Image search: [Google]
kek.jpg
90 KB, 600x375
>>46337549
>>
>>46333529
>How many businessmen use akimbo pistols though?
Ones that like guns and watch too many movies.
>>
So, should I try and run this idea?
The character could end up as a time-displaced prostitute, but at the beginning they get a morph, some skillsofts, and a ride somewhere.
If I go with cheap, small, and easy powerful drives (because why not?), then they'll get what's basically an RV.
Opinions on having cheap, small, and powerful space drives?
>>
>>46337882
>>46338043
Other than the oldest profession, what other professions would be transferable to the future?
>>
File: dyson.jpg (306 KB, 1400x788) Image search: [Google]
dyson.jpg
306 KB, 1400x788
You guys think that Eclipse Phase would work without morphs with a bit of tinkering?

To be clear i thought about getting rid of bodyhopping. I like the idea and im completely aware this concept is the core what EP setting is about but im not exactly fond of resleeveing.

If you are dead, you are dead kind of thing.

What do you think?
>>
>>46338184
Musician?
>>
>>46338184
At this point in EP's tech, many professions can be easily taught using simulspaces and skillsofts. What's important is the mindset that the character brings, since that will allow them to adapt and learn.
>>
>>46338198
It could, but a lot would be reworked. You could get something similar to having morphs by making gene therapy easier.
>>
>>46338161
Easy RKVs and probably super regulated in the inner system at least.
>>
>>46338184

Warrior.

Its a male counterpart of a prostitute.
Male side of human nature.

Where there are men, there always gonna be a need for someone who likes to brake a skull or two.

Time has no meaning if you are a quick learner and can adapt.

>>46338198
On a side note... i always wondered how backups would change the psychology of warfare, death and killing in EP.

Setting is a bit poor in this regard but then there is some jewels like that one anecdote where rich had a unusual hobby of suicide themselves in unusual ways for kicks.
>>
>>46338342

>brake a skull or two
>>
>>46338233
Skillsofts only give up to 40 in active skills only.
>>
>>46338315
I'm torn between reactionless (reduced logistical worries, but a lot more issues regarding people ramming planets) or just a high-thrust, high-dV (because recovered alien superscience) reaction engines.
If you have GURPS spaceships 4e, take the TL10 drives (superscience or not), double dV, and possibly double accel. Maybe.
>>
>>46338470

english isn't my first language
its third actually so no bully pls

im trying as hard as i can, i know it should be crush but i was typing fast

/tg/ is non retard board so im sure you can make some sense from my drivel.
>>
>>46338479
Which is fairly high looking at the skill rating table - 40 points gives you the equivalent of going to college for the subject.
>>
>>46338198
It'll work just fine mechanically (as long as you don't mind frequent character death), but you'd have to throw out most of the setting.
>>
>>46338661

I don't really worry about the mechanical part.

Its the setting im worried about, trying to think about some go around.

I can always just stick to TS or something and port the interesting political bits from EP but that would be just a big clusterfuck and i want my horror.
>>
>>46338837
yeah, the setting is fucked without resleeving or egocasting, sorry
>>
>>46339025

why?
>>
>>46338545
Break isn't the wrong word, m8. It's just that it should be spelled "break", not "brake". Brakes are a thing to slow movement, like "I hit the brakes in my car". Break means, in this context, "an injury involving the fracture of bones in the body", so "break skulls" works.
>>
>>46339141

noted
>>
>>46339110
I'm trying to even figure out what the setting would be without egocasting and resleeving. Generic as fuck, that's for sure.
>>
>>46338600
It doesn't give you the complimentary skills needed to boost it to a usable level, though.

>>46339110
Because the vast majority of everyone would be dead and there wouldn't be enough people to repopulate at a reasonable pace. Travel would be a joke as well.
>>
>>46339110
Theme-wise, you have thrown out almost the entirety of that whole "identity crisis" thing.
Like the whole thing.

And from other standpoints, your population numbers are going to be DRAMATICALLY lower. The population numbers you see in books include synths, which wouldn't exist in your world at all. And considering synths are the cheapest bodies, it's easy to assume that a large portion of transhumanity lives in one. And now they're all gone.
So I'm spitballing at like 50%.
Absolutely everyone in digital storage who was resleeved? Perma-dead.

What was the number, like 1 million off Earth at the time of the TITAN attacks? With very few people making it out of there physically, you're looking at REAL low population numbers, which just wouldn't create the same world as described in the books.
>>
>>46339202

Nah, 'more people survived the fall' will suffice.

The travel thing tho, good fucking point.

I won't get rid of egocasting, just limit it a bit technologically.
>>
>>46339436
You can't have egocasting without resleeving.
>>
>>46339415

Like i said, more people could survive and i don't think world would change that much.

I won't get rid of some synths and AGI's but i would limit them.

Thinking about it more i even like the idea of lower population.

It makes stakes much higher.
>>
>>46339467

No you can't.
...the light speed thing, right.

But that's one thing that can be changed fluff wise. I just don't know into what yet.
>>
>>46338198
I genuinely don't see what's left to distinguish Eclipse Phase if you get rid of resleeving

Without that it might as well be any other generic scifi setting
>>
>>46339619
You'll be hard pressed to find many systems with well-defined solar system politics. The fact that Earth has gone apocalyptic is also someone unique to Solar-system oriented sci-fi. Also, not every setting has uplifts and extensive biomodification.
>>
>>46339577
What does the speed of light have to do with it?

Egocasting is downloading the mind and emailing it to somewhere else, where it can either just be an infomorph or get resleeved.

I don't see how you could possibly fluff your way around that and still have characters stuck with their original bodies.
>>
>>46339783
The problem is that half of what makes the biomodding and uplifts interesting is the fuzzy lines.

No one would ever make some of the incredibly specific bodies if it meant being stuck with them/having to be born with them. Stuff like the undersea pods, the Crashers, or even stuff as basic as hibernoids.

The Uplifts would be cool, but it's way more interesting that the seemingly normal person you're talking to might have been born as a crow or vice versa.
>>
>>46339783
In Eclipse Phase resleeving and egocasting are absolutely fundamental to those politics.
>>
>>46339807

>What does the speed of light have to do with it?

Everything silly.

Speed of light limitation IS the reason for egocasting. Without it we could just fly there or at least communicate real time without lightlag.
>>
>>46339783
I guess you could handle it like The Ophiuchi Hotline, where you have clones and backups but no cortical stacks or egocasting. That book was the inspiration for the half of EP that wasn't based on Altered Carbon.

Thing is, the politics of EP revolve around the central question of what to do with the millions and millions of people stuck without bodies. It's the big divisive issue that distinguishes the Inner System and Outer System. Eliminating that takes away a lot of the flavor of the setting.
>>
>>46339467
Sure you can. Welcome to Uncle Pappy-dad's black-hole server! Where ego's 'cast in, but...
>>
>>46339966
You are completely missing the point. If resleeving isn't a thing then what the fuck is an egocasted person going to do when he shows up at a new hab as data?
>>
>>46340236
You can be instantiated as an infomorph. Litteraly running your mind on an emulated brain on a server. Like Bleem, but with people!

You can send a copy of yourself to a meeting 4 light-hours away and have it send a report back, or download the worlds-greated space plumber to unclog your habitat because people keep flushing live nanotech down the toilets.

Or it could be a trap.
>>
>>46339966
The speed of light definitely isn't the limiting factor on just flying there.
>>
>>46340378
What's to stop this infomorph from operating some kind of synthetic robot morph?
>>
>>46339838
I think you could preserve the setting by keeping resleeving but getting rid of forking and backups. Also, new sleeves could be much more prohibitively expensive and difficult to access.
>>
>>46340559
How could you possibly justify removing forking and backups if you have egocasting?
>>
>>46340733
You can't.
>>
>>46340814
One could assume the mind cannot be copied, it exists in a RAM state rather than a ROM state, it can be moved but not duplicated.
>>
>>46338342
>>46337882
At some point in the quest the protagonist gets to choose between indenture as a prostitute or as exsurgent pest control

The trick is that whichever one they pick, they invariably end up doing the opposite
>>
>>46340868
>you can't duplicate RAM
What?
>>
>>46340868
RAM can be copied. The ability to read it implies that it can be copied.
>>
>>46340868
I'm not even sure it's possible to write to a hard drive without having the data in RAM
>>
Quest rolling
>>
File: duplicates.png (8 KB, 456x342) Image search: [Google]
duplicates.png
8 KB, 456x342
>>46341247
Well, imagine that consciousness has to be stored at a quantum level, you can't scan it without altering it. Perhaps you can duplicate the consciousness, but the original is left completely altered, fragmented, and unstable.
>>
>>46341414
Then you destroy your mind by thinking

Quantum consciousness as you've just described it is right up there with the hollow earth and perpetual motion devices
>>
>>46337549
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oyJwQvbTWZM
>>
Tarnished Chrome Quest >>46341374
>>
>>46341515
Perhaps we could go with a simpler alternative: destructive scanning.

Consciousness must be stored in a format that resists conventional interfacing, in order to copy the mind it must be destroyed.

Additionally, the mind cannot be stored in a static state, it must immediately be transferred to another active medium.
>>
>>46342027
Then you can't egocast, infomorphs and cyberbrains are impossible, and brains are made of magic.
>>
I'm not sure why you'd even want an eclipse phase without forking, resleeving, etc. At that point you should just play a game set in the Expanse if all you want is an intrigue game based in the Solar System
>>
File: EgoBridge.png (3 MB, 1706x1032) Image search: [Google]
EgoBridge.png
3 MB, 1706x1032
>>
File: wut.png (380 KB, 646x550) Image search: [Google]
wut.png
380 KB, 646x550
>>46342728
Pod malfunction or lucidity damage?
>>
>>46342988

Looking at yourself as yourself during a resleeve with continuity has to be a little freaky.
>>
>>46343049
>Hold hands with yourself to make it less awkward
>>
File: Light Vacsuit 7.jpg (82 KB, 333x700) Image search: [Google]
Light Vacsuit 7.jpg
82 KB, 333x700
>>
Now lets try this again before the /pol/lacks come back.
Explain Eclipse Phase to a newfag
>>
>>46344044
>Your mind is software
>You can back it up (so you can't really die) and transfer it between bodies
>Humans have colonized the entire Solar System

>10 years ago, humanity developed self-improving AI
>Called them the TITANs because there's no way that was at all foreboding
>TITANS are corrupted by ancient aliums
>Start wiping out humanity
>Disappear abruptly
>Earth is fucked

>Aliens show up
>They be like "SHIT MAN YOU GOTTA LISTEN MAN DON'T MAKE NO SEED AI- oh goddamn it"
>Don't really do anything

>TITANs made fucking warp gates using unknown technology
>You can go to exoplanets this way
>Some are colonized
>Some used for shady shit
>Some just plain deadly
>But seriously this is TITAN tech why are you dummies using it so freely?

>All the factions are assholes
>You're either in a corporate shithole, a fascist shithole, a communist shithole, or a capitalist shithole

>You're part of a conspiracy called Firewall
>They try to prevent humanity from fucking itself out of existence
>Which it does on a weekly basis because the aforementioned assholes can't leave shit alone
>You will commit atrocities and confront abominations to keep the human race from going extinct
>You will be infected by alien viruses, go insane, and die
>Over
>And over
>Again
>>
>>46344044

Your mind is software. Program it.
Your body is a shell. Change it.
Death is a disease. Cure it.
Extinction is coming. Fight it.
>>
>>46344232
>>46344392
This sounds fucking awesome.
How are the rulebooks? They straightforward and good or completely fucked?
>>
Is having a ghost-riding AGI instead of a Muse super cheese?
>>
>>46344499
>How are the rulebooks?
Completely free, go download them from the link at the top and have a look.
>>
>>46344499

Well, the core book is about 100 pages longer than its authors originally intended, so there's a bit of stuff to chew through. Basic mechanics are easy to understand, the most fiddly parts will probably take you a few tries to read through.

The supplement books are all pretty great, though. And they've just come out with a conversion to FATE if the fiddly-fobs aren't for you.
>>
>>46344559
>>46344547
Sweet thanks guys
I'll sift through and hunt down a group or 2 to join
>>
>>46344528
Yes and no
It's pretty cool, in terms of capability, but that's another PC or NPC you have to keep on your good side
>>
File: Security Pod 1.jpg (165 KB, 929x686) Image search: [Google]
Security Pod 1.jpg
165 KB, 929x686
>>
>>46345060
>not using psychosurgery to make them unwaveringly loyal to you
>>
>>46340493
Nothing. But without resleeving, why are there synthmorphs?
>>
>>46346252
>why are there synthmorphs?
For infomorphs to operate them, presumably.
>>
>>46346306
Resleeving isn't a thing now though. Death is death. He said that earlier.
>>
File: this conversation.jpg (66 KB, 716x400) Image search: [Google]
this conversation.jpg
66 KB, 716x400
>>46346338
>>
File: laughing_gatecrashers.jpg (210 KB, 750x637) Image search: [Google]
laughing_gatecrashers.jpg
210 KB, 750x637
>>46344232
>Aliens show up
>They be like "SO THERE ARE THESE WARP GATES MADE USING UNKNOWN TECHNOLOGY, DON'T USE THEM."
>Sure thing, buddy! We won't use them!
>laughing_gatecrashers.jpg
>>
File: dead_gatecrasher.jpg (116 KB, 900x566) Image search: [Google]
dead_gatecrasher.jpg
116 KB, 900x566
>>46346537
>>
>>46346764
Is that a bloody Spurdo in that pic?
>>
>>46347353
It is some mutated version of the Spurdo meme, but yes. It is shopped in.
>>
>>46347353
Kind of reminds me of the 'aliens' from Aeon Flux S3E10.
>>
>>46347392
>>46347394
Fug.
>>
>>46347353
It's gondola, sorry. I've got a problem.
>>
>>46344232
>TITANs made fucking warp gates using unknown technology
>implying it wasn't ancient aliens
>>
>>46348160
>ancient aliens made fucking warp gates using unknown technology
>implying they weren't left there by god for his chosen to conquer the rest of creation
>>
>>46348384
>10AF
>still being religious
>tips hab
>>
>>46348407
Hey, asshole who tipped the hab! You crushed me under my workshop! -10 @-rep!
>>
>>46348493
Sorry mate, only fedora-rep recognised here.
>>
>>46348501
Fedora-rep? What is this? A Sam Spade club? A Hat Fortress?
>>
>>46348523
>A Hat Fortress?
Yes, the mighty Hat Fortress, bastion of enlightenment, far from the corrupting reach of faith! A place of pure atheistic knowledge!
>>
>>46348539
I think you're putting too much faith in the power of enlightenment.

Nyuck nyuck nyuck!
>>
>>46348539
Hat Fortress 2? Whatever happened to Hat Fortress 1, anyway?
>>
>>46348639
It's not very popular, because it doesn't look as good, and it's a mod of some pretty old tech. Hat Fortress Classic is faring a little better, but only because it's still technically supported by the vendor.
>>
>>46348655
Still waiting on Hat Fortress 3 though.
>>
An excerpt from my upcoming character questionnaire submission

>3: What are you now?

>Whatever I want. That's the beauty of living out here. No one gives a fuck. Perhaps a more helpful answer would be that I'm a freelance engineer. That probably describes more than half of the people out here though, to at least some extent.

>Also might be described as a distributed person. Typically consist of between three and ten alpha forks at any given time, living in parallel. Used to merge every few hours. Now twice per day. If both forks are going to persist, each receives a copy of the other to merge with. Normally do the merge myself. Lose memories from time to time, and need the occasional deep psychosurgery session from an expert to work out the kinks. It's getting better all the time though.
>>
>>46349155
How do you even handle this in game terms?
>>
>>46349191
The rules for merging are there. The character has Ego Plasticity 3, high WIL, and psychosurgery skill specialization in merging, so that helps.
>>
>>46349191
Not that Anon, but if a player came to me with that as a concept, I'd suggest that the character being controlled by the player is one fork sent out, with the rest being back "home", wherever that is. I'd point them at traits like Ego Plasticity (makes merging forks easier) and Allies (representing the forks back home). I probably wouldn't want to feature all the forks at the same time, simply because it'd be a bit of a nightmare to run, apart from on special occasions - perhaps the Firewall cell has to go out that way - and it'd be an opportunity to show off the rather odd character concept.
>>
>>46349285
That is the intent, though things like research and networking activities may sometimes be offloaded to forks in other locations.
>>
File: ThereWontBeManyComingHome.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
ThereWontBeManyComingHome.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46320953
Wrote this as a response to repeated complaints that there weren't enough examples of daily life in Eclipse Phase
>>
>>46325741
I could see having that done to someone as sort of a psychic equivalent of eunuch servants. You get morphs totally dedicated to their one area of expertise with few thoughts of escape or reproduction.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 66

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.