[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So who actually *made* the decision for this to happen?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9
File: 1459211393642.jpg (104 KB, 800x522) Image search: [Google]
1459211393642.jpg
104 KB, 800x522
So who actually *made* the decision for this to happen?
>>
>>46318808
Satan?
>>
>>46318808
WHFB players did by not buying enough models, of course.
>>
what i find the most laughable of all AoS is how they are killing literally all the old armies many miniatures of the empire, dwarfs, high elves and dark elves allong with all bretonia were all killed for this shit.
>>
>>46318892

>Bretonnia died for this
>>
>>46318940
at least i would like gw to stop pretending this is old warhammer at all, the killled all the heroes of every race we loved an knew, those that survived are "gods" and therefore irrelevant.
>>
>>46318808
i saw someone on here say it was kirby's idea with no source and i just straight believe it
>>
Poll for interest.

How many of you actually like Age of Sigmar?

http://strawpoll.me/7214867
>>
>>46319067
You fucked up. you should of said sigmarines. Space marines are cool.
>>
File: the_end_of _chivalry.png (146 KB, 781x488) Image search: [Google]
the_end_of _chivalry.png
146 KB, 781x488
>>46318940
good night sweet prince
>>
File: 1420889486674.gif (560 KB, 300x203) Image search: [Google]
1420889486674.gif
560 KB, 300x203
>Wanted to get into fantasy
>Got the new book, studied up all the rules, really really like it as an alternative to 40k
>Got a big army off ebay
>Spent all my gift vouchers getting dark elves
>Spent days upon days painting, doing conversions and writing lists
>AoS happens literally 2 months later

And yet I decided to get back into 40k like the faggot I am, why do I do this to myself.
>>
I clearly remember an early 2000s White Dwarf article where Jervis Johnston had a seizure in text form over the concept that players dared to play with points in a fair yet competitive fashion. The ONLY way Jervis could conceive of a game being fun was for both players to throw the models at each other while piss dribbled out of their diapers. I only skimmed it so that part might be wrong but I doubt it.

Also, my LGS owner got to meet with some of the writers for the earliest editions of WHFB back when those editions were new. They sat down to a game and the owner went through what his army had. The writers stopped him and said "wait, you brought THAT magic item? we meant that as a joke." I shit you not, they included multiple high-end magic artifacts for laughs, and never playtested them after reasoning that no sane person could possibly play with them. Who would pay X points for something? It's just to forge a narrative! And here was the owner with Brett artyspam and every fucking minmax option the early 90s could give, in the belief that the writers wanted to be super competitive.

And that's why my LGS nearly didn't get into GW products.
>>
>>46319159

Fuck that nigga real best knight coming through.
>>
>>46318808
All those warhosts and different colors, and none of them will ever matter, because nothing does.
>>
>>46320863
Fantasy is only as kill as your local scene, what with 9th age kings of war and 3rd party miniatures carrying the torch.

We still go through an entire general thread every 24 hours here.
>>
>>46318808
>No identifiyng marks except pallet swaps.

Christ i knew they were making them all look the damn same but holy shit not even unique heraldry?
>>
>>46323805
>whats wrong with his face??
>>
>>46323931
Chapter badges will come out in the next Codex: Sigmarines
>>
File: g20160413.jpg (255 KB, 900x1278) Image search: [Google]
g20160413.jpg
255 KB, 900x1278
I h8 GW
>>
File: DSCF1241.jpg (2 MB, 3072x2304) Image search: [Google]
DSCF1241.jpg
2 MB, 3072x2304
>>46320863
Brikwars man, even if you ever tire of warring with your blocks, building random knickknacks, kids will always be more than willing to take that shit off of your hands.
>>
>>46326370
Stop your fucking brikwars shilling you god damn homo, no one wants to play with fugly abominations
>>
>>46326370
>playing a shit homebrew game that has Rule of Cool in it
>>
>>46326923
>no one wants to play with fugly abominations
But they were just lamenting about Age of Sigmar...

>>46329030
>playing a shit homebrew game that has Rule of Cool in it
Well clearly you're not in this for the Awesome...
>>
>>46329201
>ellipses
Jesus Christ
>>
>>46318808
More importantly, who thought that disgusting shade of purple was a good idea?
>>
>>46329247
More importantly, who thought ANY of those color schemes looked acceptable?
>>
>>46318808
>WHFB isn't selling
>Space Marines are selling
>We need to make WHFB like space marines so people will buy it more
>WHFB is now giant holy armor soldiers who serve the emperor divided into chapters

It's not complicated or crazy why they came to this conclusion, from a soulless corporate mindset standpoint
>>
>>46318808
You know what? I don't even dislike sigmarite design, they would have make cool order demon/golem. Like some sort armour animated by the will to fight chaos/defend humanity or something.
I only dislike them as an army of their own.
>>
>>46319057
Rountree is doing nothing to fix that one, why? Why cant he just flat out state that Kirby was a hack and his decisions should be undone?
>>
>>46329305
How do these perspectives thrive in an industry ripe for rewarding actual creativity and imagination?
>>
>>46329802
Kirby owns the place and by extension him.
>>
>>46318808
http://investor.games-workshop.com/the-board-of-directors/
>>
>>46329802

Under Roundtree, it's been stated AoS point systems and tournament support are in the works. Not sure if that decision came down from him, but it sure as hell seems like it.
>>
>>46330518
It probably would have been a good idea to hammer that stuff out before they released an unfinished game.
>>
>>46318808
WHFB players

We've been over this
>>
>>46329837
eh.... give or take.

games depend a lot on trends and the niche unfulfilled in the market.

Something anyone would figure out if they did ANY market research.
>>
>>46319067
I'm sensing just a little bit of bias in the questions.
>>
>>46330518
>>46330567
Too little too late now.

Points is just one of the many, many things wrong with AoS. And even if it was decent it replaced something lots of people actually liked. What baffles me is that GW seems to have honestly thought AoS would be well received.
>>
Sigmarines on their own are bland, stupid and of godawful design. Not to mention that terrible dragon riding shit.

If they wanted to put sigmarines in fantasy. They could've not squatted the setting and simply introduce stormcasts as some kind of anti-chaos elite unit, to to counter chaos chosen, making them super cheesy.

Would have that made a lot of people angry? Yes. Would've that ushered the creating of cheesy and broken full sigmarines empire lists? Certainly so.

But that wouldn't have been such a complete failure and WHFB would've tripled its sales thanks to it.

Because AoS is a setting so asinine the main reason it's failing is because a lot of old players felt insulted by this radical change that they refuse to buy mostly out of spite, and that tabletop games is not an hobby capable of attracting new blood in great numbers, even less so in a short period

Hadn't GW squatted WHFB and had it just introduced the sigmarines in the setting, almost all empire players would've had three full box of stormcast at home
>>
>>46331102
They should just have keep the old world AND create the new one simultaneously.
Sigmar/other gods take the most devout of their people to strike the chaos gods in their domains while things go on in the old world.
So you have your over the top herohammer war in heaven AND the (very relatively) more down to earth setting.
Easy, and perhaps even interesting.
>>
>>46331260
But then, aren't we just competing with ourselves? /GW Executive
>>
>>46331260
Yeah but Kirby seemed to be going on the idea of WHFB being old and busted woth AoS being the new hotness
>>
>>46326370
>playing any game endorsed by ND
No
>>
>>46331381
How does one compete against themselves? A sale is a sale, if it is your own product who cares which they buy?
>>
>>46331440
Having too many product lines means more costs for supporting them and producing new products for them.
After you do all that, the sales for each line aren't great because customers have all diffused into niches of each line.
It's a bit like mid-2000's General Motors, but GW minis now are at least acceptable quality.
>>
>>46331494
I fucking miss Pontiac though
>>
>>46329201
>Well clearly you're not in this for the Awesome
You clearly do not understand the concept of Awesome. Awesome is not lolsorandum bullshit, and if it were, we would be all over Age of Sigmar.
>>
>>46331523
Almost all the cars they made when they were killed off were shitty rebadges of existing models.
In fact, the only Pontiacs that filled a niche that nothing else GM made were the GTO (technically not made in '08 but not the point), Solstice (Saturn Sky shouldn't have been made, Saturn is a cheap car brand, Sky doesn't fit in with that image), and the G8.
Two of those were actually rebadged Holdens with LHD.

Now everyone either remembers Pontiac for shitty Cobalt rebadges or Firebirds, which were always forced into the shadow of the Camaro and Corvette. Not for what could have been.
>>
>>46331610
Yeah but I liked the GTOs and because of their rebadging it was pretty easy to find after-market parts for them and modding their chassis to whatever project you wanted that year.

That's exactly what I wanted - half-assed camaros that I could afford to tinker with and not feel like I shit all my money away when I fucked something up eventually.
>>
>>46331381
Not if the products are miniatures that can be played in any of the settings and not the settings themselves.
>>
>>46331102
>almost all empire players
All five of them?
>>
File: epic_800.jpg (245 KB, 800x600) Image search: [Google]
epic_800.jpg
245 KB, 800x600
>>46331580
>You clearly do not understand the concept of Awesome. Awesome is not lolsorandum bullshit
No no no, the only time you should actually be doing Lolsorandom bullshit is if there is good potential that some Awesome will occur from it.

For instance, notice the T. rexes and Knights fighting in the back ground.
Random yes, but it's also fucking AWESOME!
>>
>>46331723
Aftermarket for anything not engine-related on a GTO or G8 is fucking expensive though. There's zero parts commonality with anything else in North America.
Anyways, we're getting off topic.
Sigmarines are either ugly as fuck or bland as fuck, and killing off factions can be neccessary, but nuking the entire WHFB model range wholesale is fucking retarded.
It's one thing to say "we are no longer supporting this army", it's another to tell the entire playerbase to go fuck themselves and buy your shitty bland army.
>>
>>46331254
>bumping a kusothread 10 minutes after the last post

How new are you?
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.