[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
World building
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4
File: worldbuilding[1].jpg (197 KB, 1366x768) Image search: [Google]
worldbuilding[1].jpg
197 KB, 1366x768
Any advice on how to create continents/worlds? Whenever I try to draw a world map on Inkarnate it never feels "right". It feels like I'm just dropping down entirely random shapes instead of creating a world that's both aesthetically pleasing and plausible (by which I don't mean per se that such a thing could happen in reality, just that it looks plausible enough not to be called out on its bullshit at first glance).
>>
>>46316523

Try going for something aesthetically pleasing. Continents made of majestic sweeping lines with nice concave bays, and strings of archipelagos around jutting areas.

I haven't checked but there's probably a ton of generators on the net too. Gen up some for inspiration.

Do you have the game Civilization? Or any 4x game that makes a map of a planet? That's something you can use too.
>>
http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive/1769395/

This is what I use to knock up a country/continent map on the quick. Probably better methods (and if anyone wants to post them I'm all for it), but it gets the job done.

As for making the shapes plausible/pleasing? From what I've tried and heard from others, it's more or less a combination of trial-and-error teaking and sheer dumb-luck. Sometimes something will look hopelessly shit but then you'll gently fiddle with one pointy bit and suddenly it's fucking LUSH.

Since we're talking worldbuilding: Has anyone ever done a setting where a nonhuman race is the dominant/main species and humans are comparatively rare/exotic? If so, how'd it go for you?
>>
>>46316688
Oh, that's neat. I downloaded GIMP ages ago but never used it so I might as well do this and see how far I get.
>>
File: 1457551252215.png (341 KB, 850x832) Image search: [Google]
1457551252215.png
341 KB, 850x832
>No go to ENhance> Adjust Brightness/Contrast> Levels. Do it now!
I hate to be a faggot that needs handholding but how do you do this in GIMP 2?
It also doesn't help that I didn't install it in English
>>
File: ss+(2016-03-29+at+12.32.50).png (12 KB, 452x322) Image search: [Google]
ss+(2016-03-29+at+12.32.50).png
12 KB, 452x322
>>46317076
It's in the 'colors' tab. Click 'edit as levels' and you're good to go m8.
Thread replies: 6
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.