[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Question about making an armor system
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2
If i want to simulate plate armor`s deflection bonus against cuts (like swordstrikes) , is it better to go with additional cut resistance or with armor-class deflection bonus?

I wanted to ask which would be the more realistic approach and gives more variation, assuming the system is abstract of course, but strictly realism-oriented in the end.
>>
>>46314473
>If i want to simulate plate armor`s deflection bonus against cuts (like swordstrikes) ,
In my opinion a proper depiction would be that if the plate armor and the sword are made of materials that are roughly the same strength, then there is no cutting, period. Instead you can offer the player to aim for an unprotected area and give him an appropriate penalty on his to-hit roll (depending on the quality of the design of the armor).
If the blade is of a superior hardness then you subtract the armor rating of the plate from the damage that the cut would normally do.
>>
>>46315124
with a strike hard enough and a weapon with enough mass behind it , it would at least dent the plates i guess. Poleaxes and bardiches existed for a reason

otherwise , i really like your idea. maybe i should split the damage into cut and impact? it would allow to beat someone unconcious through his metal helmet even if it dulls the edge.
>>
>>46315571
>Poleaxes and bardiches
Hacking and cutting are two different kinds of attack. Late medieval swords weren't balanced to hack anything much. Axes and bardiches were top-heavy and thus give themselves naturally to a hacking motion.
Of course, for swords no one should forget that halfswording and mordhau exist.
>>
>>46315829
>mordhau
>literally means "murder stroke"
Damn, those Germans didn't fuck around
>>
>>46315829
maybe add a bonus to decrease the armor deflection against chopping attacks with axes and such? Straight swords would deal with normal deflection and things like sabers have more cutting potential but increase the armor's deflection ability. i'd prefer to keep physical attacks as cut , stab and crush
>>
>>46316036
well , they used one of the biggest kinds of swords bordering on final fantasy standards on the battlefield , tho. Landsknechts literally using swords bigger than themselves, and wearing the most fabulous shit while doing so
>>
File: standards.png (24 KB, 500x283) Image search: [Google]
standards.png
24 KB, 500x283
>>46314473
>is it better to go with additional cut resistance or with armor-class deflection bonus
>AC
>EVER
UGH plebian

Armor class is such a ridiculous and unrealistic method of attack/defense resolution.

Go with damage resistance increase.
And while youre at it, look at other systems (there are HUNDREDS) before you write YET ANOTHER
>>
>>46316614
maybe you could try to combine damage reduction and AC:

>After a "normal" dodge attempt fails (DEX) , you roll +AC
>If the attack roll is higher than AC+DEX roll , deflection does not work , normal armor defense
>if Deflection roll is higher , you can add x2 or x3 defense , depending on how far the attack roll is surpassed
>maces , spiked clubs , hammer and such basicly nullify AC since they are made to get a grip on the surfaces, always dealing with x1 defense
>weapons made for slashing get deflected easier and cause additional x2 to AC for deflection rolls

maybe this? it would be a great way to implement additional armor "skills" for this purpose
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.