[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
When was the last time you played this game? Does it really deserve
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6
File: WM1009lg.jpg (25 KB, 434x312) Image search: [Google]
WM1009lg.jpg
25 KB, 434x312
When was the last time you played this game? Does it really deserve all the hate it gets when it's played correctly?

I ask because my girlfriend's friends want to play it this weekend. Don't know what to expect. My only memories from this game are being crashed by my grandpa in elementary school.
>>
Monopoly is exactly as bad as everyone says it is. That being said, there are a few things you should be prepared for.

1. Figure out in advance whether they have any house rules before you start playing. People generally have preconceived notions about how that game should be played, so you'll want to be prepared. Note that some of these house rules, such as a fairly popular one of putting all taxes/fees that would normally go to the bank on Free Parking, generally screw the game up even more.

2. Work out a time limit in advance. Occasionally, Monopoly games can drag on for hours on end, which leads to lots of bitterness, regret, and boredom. I personally suggest two hours, with whoever having the most assets at that point being declared the winner.

3. Don't take things too seriously. Monopoly, with it's cutthroat nature, has been the bane of many a relationship. Don't be that guy who's bitter for the next week because your girlfriend duped you into a bad trade.
>>
>>46313310
>is exactly as bad as everyine says it is

That's a real bummer. You would think after years of the game being around, they would work out the kinks.

I've also heard house rules ruin the game, so I told them it's an must to stick with the rules in the book.
>>
File: BoardGamePatentMagie.png (162 KB, 580x865) Image search: [Google]
BoardGamePatentMagie.png
162 KB, 580x865
>>46313486
Well, it's working as intended for its original creator.

It wasn't meant to be fun.
>>
>>46313310
And never forget to play the game properly:
http://www.criticalmiss.com/issue10/CampaignRealMonopoly1.html

There are a ton of generally accepted homebrow aspects that make the game even more miserable than it should be, just to prevent children's feelings from being hurt.
Alas, you are playing with adults, you can take the kid's gloves off.
>>
>>46313089
If you play it properly there's basically 3 things to watch out for.

1. Second and third board edge are hit most frequently due to the Go to Jail and Jail spaces. Winners buy properties there preferentially, which you can do because properties are auctioned unless bought when landed on.

2. The game is otherwise mostly determined politically as you force other players to pay more at auction and do Diplomacy style trades and backstabbery.

3. ...except that if you run the Bank out of Houses, no more Houses can be issued until some are returned to the Bank. This means that by spamming Houses and not converting any to Hotels you can lock up the other players' ability to improve their properties.

Note that if you do the third thing all the other players will notice and probably do the second thing in an attempt to get back at you.

In any case, keep those 3 things in mind and you can play a fun cutthroat game of Monopoly as the rules intended.
>>
>>46313089

Working on a monopoly like game that replaces buying properties with slaves.
>>
>>46314453
>>46314211
Also, there's apparently a new version of Monopoly since 2006:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Monopoly_%28game%29#Speed_Die

I bet it's perfect for the homebrew variant but shit for the real version.
>>
File: 1431288779135.jpg (81 KB, 500x532) Image search: [Google]
1431288779135.jpg
81 KB, 500x532
>>46314493
> In these editions it remains optional, although use of the Speed Die was made mandatory for use in the 2009 U.S. & World MONOPOLY Championship, as well as the 2015 World Championship
> 2009 U.S. & World MONOPOLY Championship, as well as the 2015 World Championship
>U.S. & World MONOPOLY Championship
>MONOPOLY
>WORLD
>CHAMPIONSHIP

oh god

What is driving the poor souls that actually participate?
>>
>>46314539
I've visited one board game world championship.
It was held at a local burger bar because the game in question was a mostly luck-based Finnish one nobody outside of the borders has ever heard of.
There are world championships for literally every game out there up to and including rock-paper-scissors. That doesn't mean that they are relevant or sensible.
>>
>>46313089
Oh, I loved playing that game as a kid. Screwing the adults over was fun. I preferred Masterpiece though.
>>
>>46314539
I would assume no small amount of alcohol and self-loathing.
>>
>>46314211
>http://www.criticalmiss.com/issue10/CampaignRealMonopoly1.html
>Except that it isn't crap. Actually. You just have to play it the way it was designed to be played.
Well, it's still total crap. Just a bit less.
>>
>>46317175
monopoly was suposed to be crap its conceptual game to show something.

Its like that chess variant that add checkers capture rule (multi capture with forced capture)
>>
>>46319567
forgot to add something

>Its like that chess variant that add checkers capture rule (multi capture with forced capture)
the variant sucks ALOT but it just some variant to show how chess would be under those conditions
>>
>>46314211
But I always played with the auctions.

Games were still tedious, boring, and absurdly long. Not as long as Risk, but still annoyingly long.

I suppose it could work with the right set of players, but I'd assume that most people would just have the same amount of unfun with proper Monopoly than with a rules variant version.
>>
File: Monopoly = bad.jpg (2 MB, 2765x1879) Image search: [Google]
Monopoly = bad.jpg
2 MB, 2765x1879
>>46313089
Why Monopoly needs to stop being printed...
>>
File: before-and-after-monopoly.png (180 KB, 501x395) Image search: [Google]
before-and-after-monopoly.png
180 KB, 501x395
>>46323748
>>
File: Monopoly not even once.jpg (72 KB, 806x806) Image search: [Google]
Monopoly not even once.jpg
72 KB, 806x806
>>46323780
>>
>>46323748
Wouldn't matter. Most people associate board games with Monopoly even though they haven't seen the game in decades. If every version suddenly disappeared from store shelves today, we would still be seeing people thinking that 50 years down the line because of that.

I see a lot more people playing Ticket to Ride or Apples to Apples these days, though, so perhaps we are due for a change.
>>
One of my biggest issues is the game is built on trading, so every once in a while, the game will slow to a halt. If players want to be a dick, which is normally the smarter move if you got screwed on property deals, you can really slow down the game.
>>
>>46323706
Well, yeah, but at least there's interaction and you can fuck with others.
You can make it a long game of rock-paper-scissors, with the winner getting to decide on dinner or something.

Or you can make it possible to pawn off your clothes for Monopoly money.
>>
>>46323866
That's America, though.

In Germany we think more of Mensch ärgere dich nicht (a really shitty game where you simply roll dice and move your figures and when two figures land on the same field, you can block others and shit) and Settlers of Catan. Though Monopoly is still well-known.
I think Carcassone is also on the more popular side.

Generally we have far less issues with the jock/nerd divide in general. Board games can be played by adults, P&P isn't satanic and why the hell wouldn't you do some kind of sport?
>>
>>46323748
>claims Magic: The Gathering and D&D are shining beacons of good game design
>Sees Risk in a positive light
Opinion disregarded.
Seriously, fucker shits on Monopoly, then says that Risk is in any way less shit, that D&D's damage on the RPG genre is acceptable (and that it's apparently just another board game) and that the play to win random autism shitfest that is TCGs is actually worthwhile?
>>
>>46325630
Eh, risk can be fun, depending on the amount of players and who you play with.

Though I must say I had a bunch more fun playing Diplomacy.
(even though that took WAAAY longer)
>>
>>46313486
It was invented by someone who hated capitalism, to deliberately make people miserable.
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.