[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would happen if you used more than one system at a time
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
What would happen if you used more than one system at a time to run a game?
>>
>>46311844

It'd be a confusing mess.

Also, how?
>>
>>46311844
Provided you only chain together fairly light systems and you have sheets for each system I could see it working. Like a mech game played with one system while you're in a mech and another while you're out of the mech.
>>
>>46312026
But that's only using one system at a time.
>>
>>46311844
Just use GURPS.
>>
>>46312044
Oh. You could have a game with different players running different systems? Like a GUMSHOE detective is working behind the scenes backed by an OpenD6 hired gun.
>>
>>46311844
Basic D&D
with RuneQuest skills
and GURPS character generation (point based).

I could call it d100+20 system.
>>
>>46311844

Tried it.

>>46311854

Would not reccomend.
>>
>>46311844
I kind of like this idea. It'd be great for different systems that have different resolution mechanics.

After even a short combat, the two "alternate universes" start to diverge. It'd be neat to see what each campaign goes and ends like depending on the system used. Bonus points of the settings can cross over.
>>
>>46311844
Ran a Star Wars campaign using XWing miniatures game for space combat, and FATE when they were running about.

Also play some pidgeoned DnD, where I took an edition of DnD I really liked (Cyclopedia) and latched on rules I liked from the various other editions (and other games) until we had a weird mess of a game that was obviously not just one thing.

There was also that warhammer game a friend did that the PCs eventually became generals and the final battle was fought with the war game rather than the rpg.
>>
>>46312345
Rules Encyclopedia was the best edition.
>>
I had the idea of runners ng everyone is jhon as a series of interludes for a long running campaign, with john being some side character or NPC from the main game. you could conceivably stat John in the system and every player would (during their time as john) share the same character sheet. or, as the DM you could basically adjudicate anything john does within the other game's system when necessary.

this is the only way I've thought of combining systems, but I have no group so it will remain theoretical for quite some time.
>>
>>46312306

Better yet: Keep them both as "alternate universes" of each other.

BBEG would be a creature or person who's nigh unkillable in his original, high-narrative, rules-lite, universe/system, and who can only be killed by luring him into a universe where the rules are so crunchy he becomes killable by the PCs
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.