[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
I need some recommendations for a family board game night. We
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 15
File: IMG_20150521_230827.jpg (55 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20150521_230827.jpg
55 KB, 640x640
I need some recommendations for a family board game night. We are thinking of picking up Mysterium and need some other ideas.
>>
>>46309952
Ticket to Ride
>>
>>46309985
This one looks pretty fun. Is it basically Monopoly with trains?
>>
>>46309952
Twilight Imperium :^)
>>
>>46309952
Secret Hitler
>>
>>46309952
King of Tokyo/New York
>>
Settlers of Catan.
>>
>>46310660
>Settlers of Catan.
this, my family loves it.
just... make sure its Settelers of Catan, and not "Catan".
>>
Codenames
>>
>>46310052
Not at all, really. Every player gets a number of destinations like New York-Charleston or L.A.-Quebec. From there you collect colored cards that correlate to colored city-city connections. You complete one of these by discarding the same number of colored cards, and placing down your boxcar pieces. The longer the route, the more points it's worth. You keep doing this until one player runs out of boxcars, and the winner is the one with the most points.

It has a feel of monopoly but there's no currency or real estate trading, it's super easy for the entire family to pick up but it has a decent progression of skill.
>>
File: jt3a-proc.jpg (199 KB, 822x430) Image search: [Google]
jt3a-proc.jpg
199 KB, 822x430
>>46309952

Advanced Squad Leader
>>
>>46310692
What's the difference? When I search on Amazon, Catan 5th edition is the first thing to pop up. Is that not the same game?
>>
>>46310576
I had to look that up but it sounds really interesting.
>>
>>46310916
>What's the difference?
you're new to /tg/ aren't you?
>>
>>46310916
Lurk more

>Do you Catan?
>>
>>46309952
FATAL
>>
>>46311101
>>46311104
I did wander here from another board.
>>
>>46311163
well, the abridged version is that Settlers of Catan refers to the game in general, doesn't matter the edition.

"Catan" is Settlers of Catan played with uncomfortably heavy BDSM overtones.

it's based off an old copypasta that circulates the /tg/ board every now-and-then.
>>
>>46311227
Thank for the clarification and for being nice about it.
>>
>>46309952
Kingdom Death
>>
>>46311227
Catan is also the official name for the 5th edition of the game.
>>
File: 1320902569797.jpg (283 KB, 981x2675) Image search: [Google]
1320902569797.jpg
283 KB, 981x2675
>>46311163
>He doesn't even know Dr. Ass Marbles

Also, my screencap folder has an ungodly amount of duplicates.
Fuck, I cannot find the screenshot.
Have part of John Cloud Raven instead.
>>
>>46311323
no problem.
>>
>>46311382
>Catan is also the official name for the 5th edition of the game.
yes but it's not in quotation.

Catan is very different from "Catan"

as I've mentioned in >>46311227
>>
File: kiss_1793262c.jpg (37 KB, 460x287) Image search: [Google]
kiss_1793262c.jpg
37 KB, 460x287
>>46309952
Diplomacy.
>>
>>46311144
underrated post
>>
File: small world A10P29PqOML._SL1500_.jpg (456 KB, 1219x1500) Image search: [Google]
small world A10P29PqOML._SL1500_.jpg
456 KB, 1219x1500
>>46309952
Small World is a pretty good wargame for family night, if you've got a family that is more than casually into games. It's significantly more involved than Risk (but also a lot more fun) but significantly less involved than most "real" wargames, like Axis and Allies. And there's none of this "nothing happens while you build up your empires over several turns" bullshit. You go in swinging, and as soon as your civilization starts getting spread thin, you retire it (still earning points off the land it occupies, but no longer moving it, and leaving its territories vulnerable) and storm onto the board with a new civilization.

Each civilization is a combination of a trait and a race card, randomly paired to give it unique powers. So you could have Flying Trolls, Merchant Amazons, Berserk Ghouls, or Swamp Wizards, for instance. A number of civilizations are laid out, and you can either choose the first one or pay out some points to skip over civilizations to get to ones you prefer (the points go on the civilizations you skipped, so that anybody who picks them gets those points to put towards his final score, which is what determines who wins the game).

There is almost no dice rolling. You simply commit the armies you need to take a territory (2 armies +1 for each enemy army occupying it, and +1 if it's a mountain space) and lose nothing in the process. The player who lost the territory, meanwhile, gets his armies back, minus 1 that died fighting, and gets to place them back in any of the territories he still holds at the end of your turn. It sounds kind of dull, but it's actually really cool. During the final conquest of your turn, you can gamble if you don't have enough armies to take a territory, and roll the reinforcement die, which *migh*t boost the strength of your invasion, counting as if there were additional armies there (there are 3 blank sides, and +1, +2 & +3). Once your turn is over, you reallocate your armies among the territories you hold.
>>
>>46309952
A fun one can be One Night Ultimate Werewolf. It's a game about lying essentially. Everyone draws a card with a role on, these can be Werewolves, villagers or a robber as an example. Each player notes their card and puts it back down. Everyone then closes their eyes, and takes actions based on their card. Robbers can open their eyes on their turn and swap their card with another player, becoming the new card for example. The aim of the game is to catch out the Werewolves. However, the Werewolves (players who picked a card with a Werewolf on it) aim to divert suspicion. Since nobody tends to know what card they are (they get swapped around a bit), everyone is lying through their teeth and it's hard to know who to trust. Each round takes about five minutes and you always end up with a funny story, even if it's just your brother being a terrible liar.
>>
>>46309952

Mysterium is good,
so is Catan
Resistance (get ready for trust issues)
Takenoko
Sushi Go
Codenames
Pandemic is nice for coop
and my favorite party game smashup
>>
File: Small World Rules.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Small World Rules.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46311647 (ran out of space)
At the end of your turn, you get points for the territories you occupy (with some bonuses thrown in for certain types of territories, depending on your civilization), and whoever has the most points after a given number of rounds have elapsed is the winner.

Anyway, if it gets to your turn and you feel like your civilization's best days are behind it, you can put it into decline and choose a new civilization, which will come in on your next turn.

Attached pdf is the complete rules for the game.
>>
RISK
>>
what about Monopoly or Diplomacy. those are fun games.
>>
File: Lanterns.jpg (324 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
Lanterns.jpg
324 KB, 1920x1080
>>46309952

I suggest taking a look at Lanterns. I'ts quick, its easy, its fun, its full of "Nooooo, dont do that to me!" moments. And so colorful and fun to look at.
>>
Hey OP here. I stepped away for a second but I wanted to thank everyone for their responses. There are a lot of great recommendations I'm going to try out.
>>
I really love Illuminati.
>>
>>46311393
Wow that's hilarious. Thanks for posting
>>
Try Tsuro. It's a nice little game where each round only takes about 5-10 mins.
>>
Flux is fun, especially if you can find a themed deck your family likes
>>
>>46314882
For Flux, are they just different themed decks? Or do the different decks do different things?
>>
>>46309952

Family night?

Go random luck based games with a good theme.

Talisman or DungeonQuest for example.
>>
Has anyone had any experience with Arcadia Quest? Is it a good option for playing with 3-4 people?
>>
>>46310660
>>46310692
Settlers of Catan is shit, no one should be forced to play that awful garbage
>>
>>46309952
Mysterium is god tier. Look no further.
>>
Cyclades and Kemet are both pretty fun.
>>
>>46315223
>not parking the Robber on everyone else's Ore source and scoring yourself 4 Wheat every time you roll an 8
>>
Formula D is pretty fun.
>>
Cards Against Humanity :^)
>>
>>46317803
Isn't this a meme game? Or is it actually good?
>>
>>46317850
It's the meme version of Apples to Apples except instead of adjective noun (or whatever) it's fill in the blank(s).
>>
>Too late to the party to joke about Arkham Horror

If you can find one I've heard good things about the GMT COIN games (Cuba Libre in particular). Not sure if you can find it though, a very quick look and it looks like they are going for way too much money.
>>
File: axis & allies.jpg (78 KB, 500x351) Image search: [Google]
axis & allies.jpg
78 KB, 500x351
>>46309952
axis and allies
>>
>>46311584
This shitter knows what's up.
>>
Takenoko, King of Tokyo, Dixit are all pretty fun and easy for family time.

Depending on the age of the kids/how much they channel their inner machiavelli Coup/Resistance could be pretty great too
>>
Sushi go
Munchkin
king of tokyo
>>
>>46311647
>>46311777
I love Small World. As I describe it, it's Risk without the bullshit.
>>
>>46320288
I played a few games of team Small World and I honestly thought it was a good bit more fun, because victory wasn't primarily determined by who got ganged up on the least. It's 2 vs. 2 and you alternate turns so that it's one person from team A, one person from team B, the other person from team A, then the other person from team B. At the end of the game, you add your point total to that of your teammate and compare the result to your enemies' total to see who won. Other than that, you pretty much play as normal.

There is, however, a problem with the balance of the various civilizations. In a free for all, it doesn't much matter if something is overpowered, because everybody just gangs up on you if necessary. But with set teams, it can become a real issue. On the second game I played, a guy on the other team had skeletons that got out of hand. He was partly shielded from assault by his teammate, and further shielded by his dragon. So he was able to gain two new skeletons each turn and we couldn't take him down without completely depleting both of our forces in the process and throwing the game as a result.

So I'm eyeballing some house rules to keep that kind of thing from happening again. I'm more worried about defensive powers than offensive ones (if you're really destructive but can be taken down, that's fine). Pic is my tentative list.
>>
Mage Knight
>>
>>46321496
I'll be very interested to see how some of those play out. We rarely do team games, but it would be fun to try.

I also like the expansions, just for adding more possibilities to the mix. Hell, I want to get Underground for the same reason, and also because you can do the "tunnels" expansion and connect a small Underground board to a small default board.

About the only thing I bought for Small World that I don't like is the Tales and Legends or whatever. They didn't add much to gameplay, I thought. Just made an already random game more random.
>>
>>46321603
I've wanted to get the expansion sets, but I only get to play Small World once in a blue moon as it is (we're getting older and everybody is too busy with their lives).
>>
File: vinci-original.jpg (47 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
vinci-original.jpg
47 KB, 500x375
>>46321603
>>46321705
I will say that while I think Small World made some improvements on Vinci, I vastly prefer the latter's simpler, less cluttered art style.
>>
>>46311647
>Small world
>casual
>>
File: 1457730732778.png (621 KB, 1139x512) Image search: [Google]
1457730732778.png
621 KB, 1139x512
Betrayal at House on the Hill.

Bar none one of my most played games.

Alternatively, Illuminati: The Game of Conspiracies. Or Once Upon a Time if you all can improv really well.
>>
>>46309952
Stone Age
>>
File: Do-you-catan.png (148 KB, 675x4241) Image search: [Google]
Do-you-catan.png
148 KB, 675x4241
"Catan"
>>
>>46311227
>>46311163

Here you go.
Have a nice read.
>>
Galactic Conquest : Gratuitous Space Battles is pretty fun. Tons of expansions too.
>>
>>46317850
Both. But it's not "family friendly" by any stretch of the imagination.
>>
File: IMG_20160329_102430.jpg (3 MB, 4096x2304) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20160329_102430.jpg
3 MB, 4096x2304
>>46310565

Seconded. Doing our game play learning playtest with two players proxying for a 7 player family game coming up this Saturday.

Alternatively, if you actually value your sanity, Ascension is excellent for a family game. My brother and I got our normie parents into it and now it's all they ever want to play. Super easy to learn and pick up on.
>>
>>46309952
MindTrap. Most of the puzzles are logic-based, so you don't necessarily have to know the finer details to be able to solve it, even if it seems like you do.
>>
Does anyone have a recommendation for a game with lots of moving parts? Similar to Mousetrap but more in depth?
>>
>>46326103
As always a well-written but unpleasant read that I hope is purely a work of fiction, but know damn-well that there is a reasonable chance that it wasn't
>>
>>46333189
I'd fuck that goth chick desu senpai
>>
>>46333376
>I'd fuck that goth chick desu senpai
I'd settle with just rescuing her from the creepy "Pluton" character.
who only does shame to the Roman god Pluto, whom he hijacked that name from
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.