[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey guys, never came to this board but i have a question about
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2
File: Image.jpg (34 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.jpg
34 KB, 223x310
Hey guys, never came to this board but i have a question about mtg and /b's useless. I've been on hiatus from magic due to work and I'm finally stable enough again to play. But, I've always has a haphazard time getting back into whenever i stop. Do you know a forum or place I can go that explains the current metagames and whatnot well to returning players? And, if yall have any advice, I'm looking to spend no more than 400 bucks on a modern deck that i will build up in the future. I know moderns expensive but I'd rather wait til i get out of college to waste money on standard. Thanks
>>
400 dollars upfront, then i can add to it
>>
New Meta is Eldrazi
Just Eldrazi
All the Eldrazi
>>
>>46307147
You know a good place to learn about it? also is there any bans i should look out for upcoming so i dont buy something wrong?
>>
>>46307147
>>46307259
Eldrazi will get a ban in a few days
>>
>>46307271
alright thanks for the heads up
>>
>>46307301
since SOI is rotating in, go to a prerelease event nearby and try out the new cards. Then buy 2 booster boxes of SOI and save the rest for 2 booster boxes of Eldritch Moon.
>>
>>46307093
400 dollars? Boggles comes to mind.
>>
>>46307342
I will probably go to the prerelease but how will buying the boxes get me playing now?
>>
>>46307353
Idk if thats my style but ill look into it
>>
>>46307424
You'll up your chance of getting cards for the fresh new B/R Madness meta, the U/G/W Clue meta, the W/U spirit meta, and the B/G Pepe meta
>>
hmm I've been looking at some budget modern stuff and 8whack seems interesting, I already have loyalists and goblin guides, but i also got inquisitions and i like them. I'm finding some stuff now.
>>
>>46307445
makes sense, alright, i might only buy one tho, cuz i do need something to play right now
>>
>>46307342
Don't listen to this guy. Sealed product is a waste of money if you aren't playing limited, and while a couple of cards in SoI may be Modern playable, you might not want to play the decks they go in, and you will be better off just getting singles of what you want.
>>
File: 1458666917206.jpg (20 KB, 622x477) Image search: [Google]
1458666917206.jpg
20 KB, 622x477
>>46307093
try channelfireball or starcitygames if you want professional player's articles on the metagame

mtgsalvation is good if you want the opinions of random forumposters, which sounds like what you want.

for 400 you could probably build burn, ur storm, soul sisters, infect, restore balance, living end or some tokens list.

Also, you made a mistake coming here for mtg info. /tg/ is notoriously bad at magic.
>>
>>46307093
http://mtgtop8.com/format?f=MO

There's Modern right now, Eldrazi is getting the ban. For 400, Taking Turns, Bogles w/ a cheaper manabase, Soul Sisters, and maybe UW Titan Control all seem good. Bogles you could tweak and update your manabase later on, UW titan could shift into control, and thee other two would just be updated and tweaked by meta.
>>
>>46307093
First off your local meta is likely to be fairly unique, you can read mtgtop8.com and the mtgsalvation primers on decks to get an idea for what's going on but your local meta will probably have a decent mix of tier 1-4 decks plus some fun rogue brews.

Secondly I would recommend looing at a couple of subreddits for decks, /r/modernmagic and then branching off intot he sub for other decks gives you a good idea of the game 'as is', you can see what cards people like for different things and so on. Don't bother with /r/magictcg, it's a shit sub.

Thirdly Modern prices are bonkers,a s are MTG prices generally at the moment. A lot of people don't seem to realise but we've kind of hit a price bubble and even shit decks are expensive. For $400 you're maybe looking at Burn, Goyfless zoo, you might be able to sneak merfolk if you're hard nosed enough and then you have the budget decks like 8 rack.
>>
>>46308326
Merfolk seems really bad at 400 dollars, you get forced to choose between Vials or Cavern+mutavault.
>>
>>46307584
Do not listen to that guy. Buying boxes is just retarded unless you just want to draft at home.
Buying boxes is essentially gambling that you are guaranteed to lose. If you want to get into a deck, you will have to just buy the parts individually.

A good way to get back into the meta is to check out the Channel Fireball and Star City Games websites. They often post articles about decks and the meta.

As far as I know there is no place that has a comprehensive breakdown of the meta, you will have to do some of that work yourself. basically check out mtgtop8 to see what decks are most popular in modern, and then look up articles that explain those decks or how to beat them.

As for choosing your own deck, just look up lots of deck techs, or deck explanations and see which one appeals to you the most.

Keep in mind through all this that currently Eldrazi aggro is absolutely dominating the meta right now and is very likely to receive a ban soon. So base your decisions accordingly. Also, there is no shame in playing a lower tier deck that you enjoy playing, vs. a top tier deck that you hate. The best way to find out the meta is to play, and you may as well enjoy your deck while you are doing it.
>>
>>46308426
If you're hard nosed enough you can skip the caverns and go vial/vault but you'd really have to shop around for it. It's probably the best deck of that list but it does involve far more bargain hunting.
>>
>>46307093
For $400 you can build B/G elves without all the caverns, maybe even get three of them if you don't buy skites. It's pretty competitive and you can meta it to hell since you're running CoCo/Chord. If you wanna look at the metagame go to mtggoldfish probably, it has meta percentages and lists. Right now it's basically Eldrazi vs Robots, but Eldrazi is getting the banhammer really soon.
>>
>>46307584
DESU if you just need something to fuck around with now, buy a commander precon or something. Buying a box doesn't up your chances of getting cards for standard when u could literally just buy them for half the price of a box.
>>
SINGLES
I
N
G
L
E
S
>>
>>46307342
>>46307666
>>46308446
This is kinda offtopic since I want to play standard but I just started playing and got the origin deckbuilders toolkit. I thought about getting the SOI fatbox and go to the prerelease event at my LGS. Is that a bad idea/waste of money?
>>
>>46309326
Pre-releases are fun events and normally pretty welcoming for new players. You may or may not get your money's worth in card value, but you should at least have a good time unless your store sucks. I probably wouldn't advise getting a fat pack, though. Either do some drafts and build a collection that way or just pick a deck and order singles if you don't want to play limited (or some mix of the two).
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.