[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Questions about Orks. So. I hear Orks entertain diplomats. Just
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 14
File: ork diplomat.jpg (267 KB, 1920x749) Image search: [Google]
ork diplomat.jpg
267 KB, 1920x749
Questions about Orks.

So. I hear Orks entertain diplomats. Just how diplomaty are Ork diplomats?

If a warband is big and developed enough, could an ork diplomat actually be more like a conventional diplomat? As far as ork policies go.

Could a Weird Boy get as big and strong as a Nob and effectively be a Warboss with mad psyker powers?
>>
They'd be much more 'charismatic rabble-rouser' than a diplomat in the normal sense. Orks aren't fans of lengthy political discussions.
>>
>>46306185
yes
>>
>>46306185
Psyker powers tend to make Orks insane. It'd be pretty hard to command da Boyz when you're spouting gibberish and pure psychic energy is coming out your nose.
>>
>>46306185
Diplomacy for Orks is the same as it is for humans, but our goals are different. Big shiny rock? We'll talk business.

A weird boy could probably be a Warboss, but I think they're too smart to do that. Being warboss means you'll be done in faster than a Nob usually
>>
>>46306249
Are orks known to trade with other races for things they need if they know they can't possibly fight them, or are they just suicidally violent at all times, to the last?
>>
>>46306317

Orks aren't big into suicide. An overwhelmingly powerful enemy doesn't make for a good fight, and it means you won't get a chance to try again later.
>>
>>46306407
How extensive is a single ork's regeneration? Could an ork survive being reduced to a torso with its guts strewn all over the place without prosthetics?

Could a Squig or Snotling or Gretchen somehow, miraculously, get powerful enough to compete with other Boyz? Or will they always and forever just be NPC supports?
>>
>>46306185
Orks do work as mercenaries, which would involve the warboss actually talking to people instead of just shooting them straight away.
>>
>>46306478
>Could a Squig or Snotling or Gretchen somehow, miraculously, get powerful enough to compete with other Boyz?

yes if they get wired to some mecha or shit like that
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Killa_Kan
>>
>>46306478
Gretchin are runty little things and Snotlings are barely sapient & punier still.

Gretchin/Grots don't get bigger even when they are being rebellious against actual orks, their only option is being sneaky gitz
http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Gretchin_Revolutionary_Committee
>>
>>46306317
I remember the story about the Necron Lord that conceded in a war with the Orks and gifted them a death ray, leading to the Ork Fleet's destruction.
>>
>>46306185
Older editions had orks being a little more refined, but orks have cities and infrastructure just like any other race. A big enough warband or empire'll probably have a couple boyz who are gud wiff talkin' bitz. And ork mercenaries need someone to negotiate contracts, and an ork who can get more guns/weapons for a job will probably be quite valued, so long as he's not weedy.

Weird boyz tend to have their brains explode before they get large enough to really command any respect, but any group of orks willing to follow a weird boy on a WAAAAGH is probably crazy to begin with.
>>
>>46306185
I imagine they have a very elaborate hat and talk proper.
>>
>>46306185
I take it the "diplomat" would just be their equivalent of the class clown.
>>
>>46306588
see this is why necrons and orks are my favorite. They're like the universe's Bert and Ernie on a cosmological scale.

>>46306590
I'm not a big 40K guy, but I'm curious. I'm liking the ork fluff a lot.
I was under the impression orks were to a fault very undiplomatic and absolutely chaotic, to where hierarchy was more of a joke than anything. But it's looking to me like so long as there's a definite chain of command and a big enough boss answering to a big enough boss, orks are capable of prudent decisions.

Some even appear to be cowardly, which is kind of counterintuitive if you're a race programmer to pretty much be suicide bombers with fists.

Do Ork Weirdboyz get bigger and stronger as they beat the shit out of things/people at the same rate of normal orks?

I'm fascinated by their tendency to just get bigger and stronger the more they fight. Like, what is the growth rate like? Is it like Dragonball Z up in this bitch where beating progressively bigger opponents just makes them bigger and bigger, or... what? Is there a limit?
>>
>>46306185
You're da Boss, you do the talkin'. That's dipel...-diplumashy.

I suppose ork "diplomats" are simply particularly cunning orks that do that as a side job. After all some are known to be true backstabbing bastards. Like the Blood Axes.

About wierdboyz, old lore has them as something like fools and jesters in ork society, and they would be bullied by the boyz if it weren't for the fact that they make your head explode when anxious. So everyone stays clear of them.
Being a wierdboy means being solitary, and orks are very social creatures. That, the crazyness and the fact that you're a runt means you're gonna have a really sad and unfulfilling orky life.
>>
File: donald trumpork.jpg (455 KB, 4272x3204) Image search: [Google]
donald trumpork.jpg
455 KB, 4272x3204
>>46306721
Sometimes charismatic people are crazy, tho.
>>
>>46306692
>if you're a race programmer to pretty much be suicide bombers with fists.

I think that's where you're confused. They aren't designed to be suicide bombers at all. They're made to be an undefeatable military power. Near retarded levels of aggression are a part of this, but they have a genetic understanding of how to get to the point where they've won, even if that requires a little diplomacy sometimes.
>>
wasnt a warp'ead the nob/warboss equibalent of a weirdboy?
>>
>>46306764
>I'z gonna build a Waaaaagh, an' it's gonna be roight propa big, an' da puny Eldar Gitz iz gonna be forkin' out da teef for it.
>>
>>46306721
>>46306779
Yeah but the impression I got was that they were so unbelievably aggressive and fueled by instinct that they just couldn't be left alone for a minute.

Like, imagine trying to have a diplomatic meeting on some neutral ground. I just imagine a warboss visiting there and sitting at the table, but back at home they sense Da Boss isn't back, so everybody starts beating each other to death. From what you guys are telling me here, so long as they think the boss is alive, they'll behave.

And it sounds like it's perfectly reasonable for a particularly cunning warboss to keep around ambassadors and diplomats and chancellors.
>>
A good example of Ork diplomacy. Also, a good reminder to everyone that orks aren't as dumb as they look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5wPqf6QMoc

Keep in mind though that freebooterz are unusually diplomatic orks, more willing to cut deals with other species to get the best loot and the best fights.
>>
>>46306692
Orks aren't suicide bombers, they just love FIGHTIN!

Its possible for them to break and flee if things are going bad enough
And kunnin is almost as important a part of ork culture as brutal.

And of course there is a chain of command, otherwise the greenskins wouldn't be able to organize themselves into major invading forces that threaten entire systems and they'd be a much more minor threat.
>>
It's not immediate growth, but as long as they are in a conflict situation, they grow. One piece of fluff illustrated how sustained artillery barrage had them wake up a little bit stronger every morning. For a bad human parallel, it's like how a fractured bone is abit stronger once it has healed.

Add to that that they have autosuggestion psychic powers (red goes faster,...). So as long as it doesn't kill them, it really makes them stronger. Example: Ork hit by a bullet in a non vital-area -> "bullets don't kill me" -> increased resistance against bullets.

No limit to the growth. An ork boss in the 30th millenium was so big that it could trade blows with the Emperor.

There are quite a few ork subcultures (not to mention the fact that they can be depicted as anything from feral berzerkers to goofy gremlins depending on the edition).
You got sneaky kommandos (they really like explosions like the other orks, it's just that they prefer to plant them undetected to do surprise attacks)
Freebooterz (flashy age of sail space pirates)
Supertitious Snakebites with a dislike for tech (and their cousins the feral orks barbarians)
Militaristic Goofs
Even more militaristic Blood Axes, hated by the other orks because they use unorky things like tactical retreat (read - come back later with more people) from time to time, and copy Imperial guard fashion.
Speed Freaks (gotta go fast)
Flash gitz (tuning and pimping)
Deffskulls (steal everything that isn't bolted down)
amongst other things

And if you like ork stories :
http://www.cold-moon.com/40k/Deff%20Skwadron/deff_skwadron.htm
>>
>>46306865
Yep, that fucking seals it. Orks are officially my favorite 40K race.
>>
>>46306881
But when you say big, do you mean it grew to titan sized, or do you mean it just got really, really beefy and superhero strong?

And, fluff/mechanics-wise, lets say you statted them. As they 'got bigger and stronger', would their "hitpoints" shoot up, their "damage reduction/ignore" go up, or their self-healing?

Or all three?

I'm just trying to get a really good mental image of the orks and how their passively/subtly psy bodies and builds work.
>>
File: 1382263624418.gif (1 MB, 193x135) Image search: [Google]
1382263624418.gif
1 MB, 193x135
>>46306692
>They're like the universe's Bert and Ernie on a cosmological scale.
I will never see either faction in the same light again after reading that.
>>
>>46306964
>"'EY NERC. NERC. 'EY NERC."

>"ORKYYYY. WHAAAAT!? WHAT DO YOU WANT!?"

>"OY CAN'T SLEEP, NERC."

>"Count ovines."

>Ork imagines sheep driving fire trucks.

>"WHAT THE FUCK, ORKYYY!?"

>"I WANTED TO FALL ASLEEP FASTA."
>>
File: YarrickGolgotha.jpg (62 KB, 800x562) Image search: [Google]
YarrickGolgotha.jpg
62 KB, 800x562
>>46306692
>Some even appear to be cowardly

Can you blame them..?
>>
>>46307003
>flashy dakka, you're the one
>you make wartime lots of fun
>flashy dakka I'm awfully fond of youz
>>
File: cookiemonster.jpg (11 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
cookiemonster.jpg
11 KB, 480x360
>>46307142
"Ey, yoomie gurl."
"Hi."
"Wot say we count? Bet oi can count 'oiya than youz can."
*they count*
"EMPEROR." the girl abruptly interrupts, giggling.
>>
File: IMG_6572[1].jpg (733 KB, 972x1296) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6572[1].jpg
733 KB, 972x1296
Pic is Imperial Guard and Blood Axes fighting together, from the Ork and Squat Warlords book.

On a sidenote, ld fluff had some chaos orks (khorne, obviously). They're pretty rare since Mork & Gork's followers can spot them instinctively and kill them.

>>46306852
Consider them to be particularly bloodthirsty gangs or hooligans.
They have a hierachy and don't kill each other on sight, but they love nothing more than a good fight.

>>46306931
Superhuman-sized. Like 4m tall. Think primarchs.
>fluff/mechanics-wise
I think all three. FFG rpg has them increasing both hitpoints and thoughness.
Regeneration is limited, I don't think they can actually regrow limbs, since scars and bionics implants are commonplace for them.

Orks can survive (or fight) with their head remove from the body, though ; a common surgery procedure is finding spare limbs on the battlefield and sewing them on the patient.
They're technically fungii, so it's like horticultural grafting, I guess.
>>
>>46307142
Flashy dakka
Joy of joy
When I squeeze you you make noise
Flashy dakka
You'z me very best friend it's true
>>
We are Warboyz
>>
File: orc monk.jpg (87 KB, 639x859) Image search: [Google]
orc monk.jpg
87 KB, 639x859
>>46307209
It sounds like given enough time, a single ork if exposed to enough environmental stress or combat conditions could make progressively more and more force obsolete.

It's a good thing there are no warbandz of martial artists, because this race would be horrifying with the right structure to fight against.
>>
Wasn't there a warboss that was a weirdboy? Like he was a named character and had a model and everything last I checked.
>>
>>46307268
WITNESS ME, ALL SHINY AND FLASH.
>>
File: 164px-Kaptin_Bluddflagg.jpg (7 KB, 164x185) Image search: [Google]
164px-Kaptin_Bluddflagg.jpg
7 KB, 164x185
>>46307282
Dat's just sad, dat iz.
>>
File: 1371800630060.png (1004 KB, 875x1000) Image search: [Google]
1371800630060.png
1004 KB, 875x1000
Do you think Orks smell bad? or do they have like a natural algae/mossy smell?
>>
>>46307282
>Weirdboy unmakes himself with warp energy so hard that other universes can't pinpoint his existence
>>
>>46307282
There was. He was really good at turning things into squigs, if I recall correctly.
>>
>>46307309
They probably smell like a dank basement combined with a bunch of blood and gunpowder. So probably really wet, foul, and sulfurous.
>>
Zagdakka.

So it sounds like in order for a weirdboy to be a warboss, they have to be exceptional warriors as well as have cheatin' psyker abiliites. But the results are practically hax.
>>
"Fifteen Orks on a dead man’s hulk, Lookin’ down the barrel of a gun, Gruntin’ to each other"
>>
>>46307332
>>46307314
>>46307282
Found him. Old Zogwort. Not explicitly a Warboss, per se, but he got a pretty big WAAAGH! going.
>>
File: 21a.png (267 KB, 557x520) Image search: [Google]
21a.png
267 KB, 557x520
>>46306964
>>46307003
Holy kekers batman
>>
>>46307354
Zagdakka was special because he used his weirdboy powers to organize and control da boyz. Definitely still a Warboss, but without that particular power I feel he would have just been a very strong Weirdboy.
>>
Are there tabletop rules for character progression with single ork characters in any 40K or earlier game?
>>
File: superjail.jpg (139 KB, 399x273) Image search: [Google]
superjail.jpg
139 KB, 399x273
You know who has the stylistic sense to be able to make an awesome 40K cartoon about orks?
>>
>>46307309
Why are Squigs so best?
>>
>>46307509
the Rogue Trader rpg has rules for Ork characters.
Check Into the Storm.
>>
>>46307356
through big, sharp teeth,
Sayin’ “This one’ll give us some fun”
>>
>>46306838
underrated post

more trump ork when
>>
>>46308197
>Da Emprah is a LUUZAH. I's biggest boss in da secta. You want dakka an' best fungus in da zoggin' galaxy, you deal wi' TRUMP
>>
>>46307629
Because:
Need a pet? Get a squig.
Need a snack? Get a squig.
Need some ammo? Get a squig.
Need a ride? Get a squig.

Squigs, is there anything they can't do?
>>
>>46308365
If dere iz, lemme know an' ah'll git to breedin' one fer yuz.
>>
>>46307209
I recall reading that there have been chaos orks at some point in the fluff, but they are very rare and hard to tell from normal orks
>>
>>46308365
>Squigs, is there anything they can't do?
Save baby racoon?
>>
>>46308401
Pretty sure a Paindoc could insert the baby raccoon's brain into a squig
>>
>>46306546
I've always believed that if Gretchin/Goblins were allowed to fend for themselves they'd turn into Hobgoblins from Fantasy: As tall as a human or even one of the Boyz, but still resorting to being sneaky gits.
>>
>>46307383
He was a VERY strong weirdboy who massed as many other weirdboys as he could together into something that could lay down Magnus the red levels of firepower. At one point they blow up a Titan, and at another they cause a 500 foot tall and quarter mile deep section of fortification to just stop existing. He also lead the WAAAGH like a hive mind so the Orks were fully unified of purpose. Basically they were orks who thought they were tyranids
>>
The 4th edition codex had a great example of Ork diplomacy. A warboss shows up to an Imperial world and demands an absurd amount of weapons to not destroy everything and kill them all. They refuse, so he mentions he has brought a couple of gargants and a shitload of dreads. The Imperials say they accept the original deal, at which point the warboss replies says he's decided it would be more fun to kill them all anyway.

So Ork diplomacy is less actual negotiation and more like a schoolyard bully who can sometimes be pacified by giving him your lunch money.
>>
>>46306185
Weirdnobs and Weirdbosses can happen, but it's difficult for ork psykers to get too big because they channel more and more WAAAGH!!! energy through themselves and their boys as they grow. The trick is to moderate your use of the Warp so it doesn't overtake you so easily, but of course orks almost never act sensibly like that. The other option /tg/ discussed a few years ago was using psychic slave batteries to drain the WAAAGH! energy harmlessly off of the weirdboy, allowing him to grow without as much of a risk of head-explosion. This could be a zoanthrope, another weirdboy, or a captured human or eldar psyker. Alternatively, it could make matters worse and blow up every ork in the area even more quickly. Depends on how the battery is hooked up.
>>
>>46309082
I've read a little of some Warhammer 40K ork codex thingy.

Apparently in fluff and in canon, there's shielding that orks can employ to protect themselves from the harmful effects of using their big gay rainbow warp rays?
>>
>>46309227
Not that I've heard of, but I wouldn't put it past them. Orks naturally find ways to either ignore perils of the Warp or embrace them, but I could see them trying to make a thingamajig that protects them from being krumped by Warp hocus pocus.
>>
>>46306838

Holy Gork n Mork my sides
>>
>>46309082
As a model idea, how feasible would I be to model an irk with a cage strapped to his back with a psykers or elfdar crammed inside, or would that just look silly, May have to try and kit bash one together when I get the chance, want ideas?
>>
>>46306764
I'Z GONNA BUILD 'DA WALL' BEHIND DEM SO DAT THESE KOWARD GITS WON'T RUN AWAY WHEN WE BEAT 'EM UP
>>
>>46309082
>Weirdnob
Warphead
>Draw power away
Use thicker Weirdboy's stikk to ground it.
>>
File: Imperial_Guard_Psyker[1].gif (19 KB, 299x155) Image search: [Google]
Imperial_Guard_Psyker[1].gif
19 KB, 299x155
>>46309227
In Epic, (mobile) weirdboyz towers were made to control the Waaagh! power. You put the weirdboy inside and it act like a lightning rod and a faraday cage at the same time, depending on where exactly the weirdboy is.

>>46310188
I suggest you take one of the IG sanctionned psykers, they have the right look of desperation.

I would use only the top of the mini and rempplace the staff by one of the cage's bars. Greenstuff him as crouched.
>>
>reading about orks.
>they're fans of force field technology.

o lol.

these fucking psychopaths.
>>
>>46307309
Codex mentions them smelling like a sick Grox that drowned in its own waste fluids.
Pic related: Grox, the cow of 40k. You'll need eviscerator to kill one.
>>
>>46306185
Was there ever Ork Females in the fluff?
>>
>>46310949
no. orks are asexual fungi. But! that doesn't stop them from growing a pair of tits and saggy proportions to become cheerleaders for bloodbowl
>>
>>46310949
They were female models of orc cheerleaders in Blood Bowl, but 40k orks are asexued.
>>
>>46311010
>>46311027
Thanks.
>>
>>46310949
>Was there ever Ork Females in the fluff?
As a matter of fact yes.
In Waaargh da Orks they were described to basically be like space salmon. The oldest orks would retreat into a corner of the galaxy to fuck bitches and father as many offspring as possible before they croaked. That way the Orkish race was supposed to grow ever stronger or something like that.
That's silly though.

So now they're space fungi.
>>
>>46312911
now the Tao are space salmon.
>>
>>46306185
>>46306249
>>46306317
>>46306692

Orks can be mad sneaky, during the war for armageddon you have stuff going on like imperial traitors making deals with orks etc, and 40k lore includes stuff like orks hiring human mercenaries, or fighting as mercenaries for other races.

That said, ork diplomats are probably mainly interested in trying to intimidate people or sucking up to them while trying to scope out good landing spots or how strong their defences are, while playing up his dumb orky side to trick the stupid humies.

Weirdboyz will probably never be warbosses both because they don't last that long (heads exploding and all that) and because the other orks don't really trust them. A lot of the time weirdboyz get treated kinda shitty, like living weapons.

There's some really old GW miniature of two orks basically holding a weirdboy between them and aiming his head towards the enemy.

>>46306852
The orks are a warrior race that is theorized to currently have lost one of it's original castes, the ones doing the big-picture thinking and social stuff, the brainboyz. Old lore theorizes that they either devolved into the snots, or died out somehow.

What this means is basically that the grunts are now in charge, so they're very, very focused on war since they're hardwired to be into blowing shit up, going fasta, more dakka etc. This means that ork conquests, planning, long term goals are often focused not on ending wars but on making even bigger, better wars.

Orks will invade your system not to just conquer it and chill, but because they need it's resources or it's location to stage an even bigger attack on something else. To orks, the concept of just hanging up the choppa and settling down to farm squigs somewhere is totally alien, their endgame is just more war.
They are missing the guiding force that would put their abilities to use for a long term goal, so they're totally focused on just fulfilling their own function.
>>
>>46308241
Warboss Krump....you had one job anon. I am disappoint.
>>
Daily reminder
>Orks are created to save the Old Ones
>fail
>fuck off to do their own thing and somehow create their own gods in the process
>fail them also (except for Ghaz)

>>46313378
>Orks missing a caste
That's interesting. It goes against the wishes of Gork and Mork, but they were probably created after the War in Heaven. I'm betting The Beast Arises will have a plot twist similiar to this, like some Krorks actually guiding Beast's WAAGH. No way those Orks are just normal Orks which managed to grow ultra smart, otherwise Ullanor and Ghaz's Orks would appear really small time if they didn't evolve.
>>
>>46313378
>Weirdboyz will probably never be warbosses both because they don't last that long (heads exploding and all that) and because the other orks don't really trust them. A lot of the time weirdboyz get treated kinda shitty, like living weapons.

There are instances of Weirdbosses, anon.
>>
File: 1423047568287.jpg (114 KB, 850x950) Image search: [Google]
1423047568287.jpg
114 KB, 850x950
>>46307209
>Superhuman-sized. Like 4m tall. Think primarchs.
Hell, supposedly one Rok was actually a giant, planetoid sized Ork...

>>46310949
>Was there ever Ork Females in the fluff?
Only if you make them...

WITH THE POWER OF SLAANESH!!!
>>
>>46313765
I actually like the idea better that 40K orks are effectively the Old Ones punishing the universe by saying, "Fine. you want to engineer your war machines to be idiotproof? I'll just build evolving idiots."

I also have a heretical theory regarding the Emprah and the nature of human shamanism and psyker/psionic power.

It is canon that those shaman were imbibers of mushrooms. It is also canon that the Emprah emerged long after the Necrons and Orks were created. Therefore, I submit to you, early humans imbibed Ork fungal spores and were mutated and changed by ork fungal spores.

Humans are technologically and genetically modified weapons of the Necrons, and psionically/magically related to Orks.
Thread replies: 85
Thread images: 14

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.