[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would /tg/ think of a MTG game in the vein of the old Pokemon
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4
What would /tg/ think of a MTG game in the vein of the old Pokemon Trading Card Game for Gameboy.
>>
>>46300334
Those exist. Check steam.
>>
>I don't know how to google things
>>
>>46300363
I know magic duels exists, but if you are a defined character walking around and playing MTG with people on an island trying to win a set of Dual lands from the champions
>>
>>46300334
Dude that game kicked ass. I might still have it in my childhood room.
>>
>>46300398
Shandalar.
>>
>>46303263
a modern shandalar would be the coolest shit

well, slightly less than the coolest shit, because it probably wouldn't have power in it
>>
File: TCG1_Imakuni.png (1 KB, 48x48) Image search: [Google]
TCG1_Imakuni.png
1 KB, 48x48
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y-tIUtrpWso
>>
>>46300334
You have to be kidding me. That's exactly the kind of game I'm currently developing. As the other posters have mentioned there's Shandalar (old, bad AI) and Card City Nights (lacks depth) but nothing of any depth on PC. On consoles you have the Yu Gi Oh games.

I swear on historically accurate gothic plates that I'm not samefagging.
>>
>>46303263
Not even that, just a normal dude playing mtg with normal people. You have to beat the masters of each format on your quest to get rare cards.
>>
>tfw we never got the second pokemon TCG game in the west
>tfw there will never be a modern pokemon TCG game for 3ds
THANK YOU FOR DREDGING UP THESE TORTUROUS FEELINGS AGAIN ANON
>>
>>46304381
>MTG
Why not use an original game?
>>
>>46304417
Because there are enough failed Magic-wannabe TCGs as it is?
>>
>>46304535
I think Magic is actually very poorly suited to digital play. Real time elements are inevitably fiddly in such environments and make it exponentially harder for the AI to understand the game.
>>
>>46304642
I mean, designers of traditional games always work hard to put in extra depth into their games without significantly increasing the complexity of the game for a human but computers "think" differently than humans. Just being allowed to take a lot of actions in any order and being able to respond to actions with a variable number of actions in any order means that your AI can't actually look over the entire gamespace i.e. you need to develop a way to only examine promising branches of the possibility tree. This is actually incredibly, incredibly difficult to do well in any game with persistent rule-modifying text on permanents. A Magic-playing AI would be several steps above AlphaGo if you wanted to it to be even mediocre as opposed to completely idiotic like the AI of every digital Magic game.
>>
>>46300458
Your save file is history, the battery has died.
>>
>>46304759
The whole battery thing blew my mind as a kid. For some reason the battery on my Golden Sun cartridge died after just 2 years.
>>
>>46304778
>Golden Sun
I haven't played it, is there a time mechanic in that game? GBA games save their data on ROM.
>>
>>46304849
Huh. Strange. Not any that I know of. Maybe something else broke down then. The only special thing about the game was that it was incredibly visually impressive for the platform.
>>
File: Bootleg.jpg (162 KB, 485x1200) Image search: [Google]
Bootleg.jpg
162 KB, 485x1200
>>46304913
Correction: some GBA games did save data using RAM, but Golden Sun wasn't one fo them. You imght have had a bootleg.
>>
>>46304316
The game had some sweet tunes desu.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VgMHWxN2U_w
>>
That'd be cool. Forge has a pseudo Shandalar adventure mode, pretty fun. I like the theme decks they give the AI.
>>
>>46304642
I mean, I wouldn't be trying to make the comp protour level or anything
>>
>>46307081
Even getting it to play as well as a mediocre player would be a titanic task.
>>
>>46307540
Yugioh does it from the time of GBA. AI isn't a proplayer, but is good enough to be fun to play against.

Hell, forge has a decent AI. It's not fantastic and can be lured pretty easily, but it was also made by fans. They even script them so they know how to play simple combos (eg. Twin, reanimator, Show and Tell) and build (and play) draft decks. It's definitely doable.
>>
>>46307540
Just give the AI burn, problem solved. There's a flowchart somewhere of how to play burn.
>>
>>46308314
Maybe our standards are different. I was always the worst player in our local M:TG scene and I still found the AI in the Yu Gi Oh games to be completely useless. It was only a challenge because the AI usually had OP cards.

If by Forge you mean Solforge then ditto for that one. And both of these games are monumentally easier to play than Magic.

As far as I'm concerned if your AI can't consistently outplay a newbie given mirror decks then it is shit. The AI in the Pokemon TCG worked out because Pokemon is a game so simple that there is barely any thought involved.
>>
>>46303290
Check out "Manalink 3.0" or "Shandalar 2015".
>>
File: forge screenshot.png (2 MB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
forge screenshot.png
2 MB, 1600x900
>>46308434
No solforge, just Forge. Its singlepalyer campaign is miles away from official mtg products. Pretty fun, and even when the AI is slightly retarded, it does put up a game.

http://www.slightlymagic.net/wiki/Forge
>>
>>46304642
Agreed, the interruptions and interactions you get to make on opponents turns are largely what make it less viable. When looking at other card games you can somewhat say that MTG barely recognises the idea of a turn, since both players can perform actions at nearly any stage of the game.

Not claiming this to be a detractor of the game as a whole, but it certainly limits it on the digital front.
>>
>>46308505
Hmm. How does it avoid getting completely fucked by combat tricks and the like? I find it hard to believe it has any conception of yomi.
>>
HEX seems to have a pretty decent AI, though it's valuation seems to be a bit out of whack.

>>46308570
How do players avoid getting completely fucked by combat tricks and the like?
>>
>>46308667
Yomi. Reading their opponents. Noticing what they did or didn't do on their last few turns and trying to interpret that. Looking at the kinds of cards the opponent is playing and trying to figure their deck archetype so you know what kind of cards they probably have.

As a trivial example if you saw your opponent play an aggro creature on turn 2 and they play nothing on turn 3 then it is more probable that they're going to play a combat trick if you attack them because their deck is otherwise tuned to churn a constant stream of aggressive creatures to overwhelm you. Likewise if the opponent attacks into you with a creature you can just block and kill then it seems probable that they have a trick in their hand.. but they could also be bluffing to get in free damage with a creature which would be pinned otherwise! Which is it?

Humans constantly evaluate these things at subconscious level. Creating an AI which can read human minds and predict them is NOT simple. This is not a game of perfect information where you can just crunch numbers.
>>
>>46308794
The AI is pretty bad. It doesn't even know what Signets do, let alone handle combat very well. If it has an Ashling in play, it will pump it every turn until it explodes. Even if the explosion will kill them.

It will almost never attack into a deathtoucher, but if it is something like Serene Master, it sees no problem swinging in.

I would be more worried about basic problems like this over shit like assessing the deck type of your opponent's deck, which might be impossible. Hell, I once made an Aurochs deck with some Changelings in it. Whenever the AI played Adaptive Automaton, guess what creature type it chose? Shapeshifter, because that is what it thinks is the most common creature type in the deck.
>>
>>46309760
You're right. I was just wondering about the whole bluffing/reading aspect.
>>
>>46309872
I have definitely been blown out by the AI by using a combat trick only for it to get countered. However, that likely just comes from "have mana and counterspells in hand -> save until player casts something".
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.