[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Government in Games Discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: UzY3djs.jpg (261 KB, 2048x1150) Image search: [Google]
UzY3djs.jpg
261 KB, 2048x1150
How does the system of governance, or lack of, affect your games?

What are good ways to show this?

What are bad ways to show this?

Stories?
>>
Strangely, I usually paint gov't systems I disagree with and find oppressive in a sympathetic light, while the nation-states that are "run right" by my real-world beliefs I usually depict as either tyrannical or in social or economic ruin. I guess it makes it easier to include shades of nuance?
>>
They're fairly important.

Dungeon diving is usually done with the backing of some agency or guild with the right papers.

Most murderhoboing is done under the authorization of the military or the crown.

What I really want to do well is what happens when the government goes away. I don't think I could handle anarchy well.
>>
>>46301058
>What I really want to do well is what happens when the government goes away. I don't think I could handle anarchy well.

Some form of government will always show up. Even if it's just the strongest gang taking over.
>>
>>46301058
What do you think would be difficult about it?

That sort of situation presents plenty of options at the least.
>>
>>46300101
>>
>>46300101
>seeing yourself as the one thing you can never be
That little shitter is in for a life of escapism.
>>
>>46300101
For my dwarf city I have a ruling council consisting of 6 representatives from the 6 guilds. The real change up in the society is that you can change your job easily, just apply and you will switch jobs. Each job have different work loads and earnings, set by the council. They are old bastards who get a better share, but still within reason though.
>>
Government is pretty simple and not a lot of fun. Politics, on the other hand, is absolutely fantastic.

In one setting I've been using for a couple years now, there was a ridiculously badass dude who established an empire. Passes the crown to his son when he dies, thus establishing his dynasty. Couple generations later, power starts to transfer from the Emperor to the Council, who are basically advisers. This coincides with bad times for Empire, so there's a coup that leads to power being transferred to the new Emp, who is entirely unrelated to the previous dynasty.

Here's where it gets fun. For propaganda reasons, he casts himself as "inheritor of the First Dynasty," which in subsequent generations comes to mean that he was actually a continuation of that dynasty rather than the start of a new one. This kind of thing happens repeatedly over the next few millenia, so there's the First Dynasty but no Second Dynasty, and this First Dynasty includes a dozen or so families that are in no way related to one another.
>>
>>46300101
Lèse-majesté has resulted in more TPKs for my players than Hurricane Katrina
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.