[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Preferring generic tokens to miniatures
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: CTOK012-samples__68135_zoom[1].jpg (80 KB, 750x534) Image search: [Google]
CTOK012-samples__68135_zoom[1].jpg
80 KB, 750x534
I honestly prefer color-coded tokens to minis when playing rpgs, I just don't like how the minis never quite match the image I have for the character. With this in mind I have a set of 10 color-coded 3-d markers I use for PC and important NPCS, 10 color-coded 2-d markers, and 10 transparent numbered 2-d markers which I use to represent NPCs. I also like the fact they're 20mm, allowing me to use 3/4 inch squares rather than 1 inch so I can build larger environments. Also, I use arrow shaped pieces to represent which direction the characters are facing, which comes into play during stealth scenes and the like.

During combat I use a whiteboard to write down what each token stands for, and the players never seem to have a problem keeping track of what is what.
>>
Glad to hear, that is good for you.
>>
>>46297254
Did you referee seriously allow *every* player to name their character "Your Text"?
What the hell.
>>
pCs are "my Tex", NPCs are "your text" I guess...
>>
File: ctok005-shapes[1].png (49 KB, 600x470) Image search: [Google]
ctok005-shapes[1].png
49 KB, 600x470
>>46297377
>>46297419
Jokes aside, my 3-d markers are without text (just different colored arrows on a transparent circular base). My 2-d tokens consist of 10 text-free circle-arrows of different colors and 10 transparent circle-arrows numbered 1-10.
>>
There are so many quality miniatures including modular plastics these days I just don't see how you can't find something you like.

You need to admit that you hate painting and aren't good at it. So you have constructed this artificial preference for colorful tokens.
>>
>>46298343
Cyberpunk minis are hard to find. I've sold 1:32 scale WWII armor pieces for upwards of $150 dollars on Ebay, I can paint well enough.

I just can't find enough good minis to represent sci-fi characters, I also vastly prefer 3/4 inch bases to 1 inch bases for representing maps, good 20mm figures are harder to find than 28mm.
>>
>>46297254
>I just don't like how the minis never quite match the image I have for the character.
I know this feel.

I got a few tokens that I prefer to use for my characters, but at con games and the like I run into people who seem to get really triggered by this and insist I use a mini.

They NEVER have something that even matches the basic race/gender/weapon even when it is something simple like "Male Human Monk, unarmed", and I always find that obvious mismatch more immersion breaking than something abstract like a token that lets me fill in the details in with my head.
>>
>>46299754
My group uses dice (different colors and/or shapes and/or sizes for different players) on a grid map. It works well.
>>
>>46299754
>immersion breaking

That's exactly where it gets me, I can't help getting hung up on the fact that the race/class/weapon combo doesn't match.

Hell, I even tend to prefer old sprite-based graphics on rpgs because it leaves more room for the imagination to play.

Also, I like the fact that my complete gaming set for GMing for consists of 30 tokens, 7 sets of dice, a stack of graph paper, a set of markers and a laminated sheet/whiteboard. I can improvise any situation that comes up and I never have to use mismatched figures.

Usually when GMing I attach a modifier to generic NPCs to keep them distinct, "the fat guard", "the tall guard", "the chainsmoking guard", I'll use this when describing their turn so it doesn't sound like, "the first enemy attacks, the second enemy attacks". If anything I feel like the lack of figurines keeps the players more focused on the description and the narrative.
>>
>>46298343
>2016
>not playing Zendo
>>
>>46299754
Maybe it's because your use of tokens instead of miniatures ruins the immersion of the other 2-4 participants? I heard autistic kids don't know how to express empathy.
>>
>>46300478
>Be at local game con
>See a tuperware container labeled "Zendo"
>Check it out of game libary just cause 'The fuck is this?"
>Full of fucking plastic pyramids
>Find rules on like, a playing card inside the container
>I figure I will be master and set rule of "Must have equal number of clear and black pyramids (which counts 0 of either, just to throw them off)" just to try it
>We spend the next 3 hours playing rounds of this just cause it is so much fun to watch each other squirm
Was a lot of fun, actually.
>>
>>46300704
>Your tokens ruin my immersion!
>Your miniatures ruin my immersion!

I guess we'll just have to quit gaming,

Realistically, even though I prefer tokens I'd allow players to bring their own minis for play. Although if they're bringing standard 28mm scale minis that could pose a problem. 20mm minis are fine even if they're completely nonsensical.

Personally for me the act of filling in details over a token is less distracting than revising details over a miniature, but I'm sure others find the opposite true.
>>
>>46300841
Eh. It's easy if you just have Lego style adjustable minis so you can just equip a sword/axe/whip when appropriate.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.