[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Pauper General - 30 Posts Only Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 15
File: femme_fatale-ni_IYI1km8.png (200 KB, 241x347) Image search: [Google]
femme_fatale-ni_IYI1km8.png
200 KB, 241x347
>MTGO Pauper Guide
https://www.cardhoarder.com/mtgo-beginner-guide

>What are some top tier decks I can get on MTGO/Paper?
http://www.mtggoldfish.com/metagame/pauper

>Which rules should I follow?
If you don't already have some homebrew version with friends, follow the MTGO card pool and banlist (and please spread this to your friends that start playing with you). Currently the only place Pauper is officially supported by Wizards is online, and they have a card pool and banlist, therefore that is the format we should be using offline on paper as well, since decks and cards can transfer to games between each other with no confusion.

>What deck should I use?
Ask in the thread!
>Is MTGO worth it?
If you have no local paper competition, but want to play a vast amount of Pauper, it can't be beat, even if it is a clunky GUI, you learn quickly.

Some good decks for newbies include but are not limited to:
>Burn
>Elves
>Goblins
>Stompy
>Slivers
>Affinity
>Mono U control
>UB Teachings
>>
File: Mark_1[1].jpg (547 KB, 500x762) Image search: [Google]
Mark_1[1].jpg
547 KB, 500x762
>>46290370

Hey guys, it's me Mark "The Nose" Rosewater!

I've been thinking giving a nod to pauper players here by adding some supplementary product to cater to pauper players.

But before I do that, I'm going to need to see some of your latest and greatest shitbrews, show me what you got /tg/!
>>
>>46290902
Pls go
>>
>>46290902
>Implying wizards is ever going to cater to a format that is all about not giving them large amounts of money
>>
File: moldgrafscavenger.jpg (48 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
moldgrafscavenger.jpg
48 KB, 265x370
Think this guy will be significant, or is it just outclassed by the Delve beaters and too antisynergistic to supplement them?
>>
>>46291510
I really want too see it do good things, but might need some clever brewings. Maybe itll spawn its own deck?
>>
>>46290902
The obvious way to go is Pauper Masters with all-new all-Common rarities that are Pauper Legal, to balance out for Limited. Certain cards are just way too powerful for Limited, thus introducing Uncommon-Common, Rare-Common and Mythic-Common is the way to go to preserve the Limited Environment. Then, with Limited sufficiently protected, it is possible to introduce cards like Searcher of Secrets, a 2/2 for U that flips into a 4/2 Flying Hexproof.

Also, printing new, awesome Pauper Staples via Commander Decks is a must.
>>
>>46291510
Dies to angler 0/10
>>
File: damn.png (702 KB, 1066x370) Image search: [Google]
damn.png
702 KB, 1066x370
So SOI gives us no multicolor uncommon commanders for pauper EDH. These four are the only one looking somehow useful for me. Have you found something?
>>
>>46290902
Ban Delver.
>>
>>46290902
Reprint Oubliette and some staples of every color in a supplemental product like Masters, but way, way cheaper.
>>
What deck is the most annoying to play against?
>>
>>46295460
Teachings and Delver decks.
>>
>>46290902
Come out with a complete standalone deck building board game. No add-on releases or expansions. A balanced, self contained, CCG.

You greedy assholes.
>>
>>46293143
There's a whole cycle of multicolour uncommons, at least as far as colour identity is concerned. Olivia's Bloodsworn, which you have listed, is one of them, and they all work rather well for tribal decks.
>>
File: gauntlet box.jpg (2 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
gauntlet box.jpg
2 MB, 4128x2322
Sup /paupergeneral/

So last few weeks I've been building up a pauper gauntlet, comprised of 12 decks. I was a bit tired of the slow progress of building the decks so I printed off a whole bunch of playtest proxies so that I could give the gauntlet a play faster and replace cards as I complete orders or find them in my collection.

The decks are:
>monoW Soldiers
>monoU Control
>monoB Control
>monoR Burn
>monoG Stompy
>Boros Kitty
>Acid Trip
>Tortured Existence
>Affinity
>Midnight Gond
>UR delverfiend
>UB Teachings

Now some of these I haven't worked out sideboards for, some I've got half the cards and some I've had to proxy down to the nonbasic lands. I also haven't worked out power levels and how much sideboard hate is needed for the strong decks, but I have people coming round later today to test.
>>
This here is the monoG stompy list. I haven't tested it yet and it's pretty much all proxy.
>>
UR delverfiend.
Yeah I know, Treasure Cruise is banned online. I'll take it out if this deck needs to be nerfed. The other U decks don't have the Cruise.
>>
Now the format for this gauntlet is eight players have decks issued at random and then a regular 3 round tourney is played. That way one third of the decks are not in a given tournament and it keeps variation high.
Once I've completed it and filled all the card slots my LGS has said that they'll run a sanctioned FNM with it with prize support and full dci stuff. I don't know if pauper is a sanctioned FNM or they'll just run it as the 'sanctioned casual' option.

How the fuck are you meant to win with Tortured Existence? I can pretty much not lose by looping dredge creatures and Missionaries but how am I meant to close the game out? Mystifying.
>>
File: Boros Kitty (proxied).jpg (4 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
Boros Kitty (proxied).jpg
4 MB, 4128x2322
I thought I had more Galvanic Blasts lying around, but I can't find them. After I took this photo I found the artifact lands in a dusty folder and the lightning bolts came out of my trades.
>>
What are the tier 1 decks?
>>
>>46296106
At least place the cardss neatly, it's hard to see how many of each you have and it's just a mess.

The Stompy seems fine, there isn't much you can do to fuck it up. I'd run 2 Ledgewalkers since they're annoying.

>>46296157
This deck here seems like a mix of Kiln and some control. You should go full Kiln Fiend or drop them for other stuff.
Kiln Delver looks like this: http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-delver-fiend-12284#online and you can adapt it to your liking. Mulldrifter is too slow for it, annd Sea Gate Oracle offers way too little since you can run spells to dig.
Take out those Cruises

>>46296296
Tortured Existence is grindy as fuck, you basically stall and kill with Crypt Rats or whatever attacks you can get through. You also only run like 3 creatures that are big enough to apply pressure, I think all that Auramancer package isn't the way to go.

>>46296359
Seems good enough. Why are you running the Electrostatic Bolts?
>>
File: Acid Trip (proxied).jpg (4 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
Acid Trip (proxied).jpg
4 MB, 4128x2322
>>46296484
last shitty positioning picture.

I intentionally nerfed the UR delver deck because I knew it was going to be strong. But then I put treasure cruises in because I don't know what the fuck I'm doing. Needs fixing I agree.

The Electrostatic Bolts are because I expect Affinity to be top dog, and they're not useless against other decks.

Acid trip is another deck I barely know how to play. I get that it's a Kitty build but it seems astoundingly grindy. Maybe I should throw an infect or something to keep the meta fast.
>>
>>46296732
You basically blink your enchantments to make massive value out of them. It's kinda bad against aggro decks since it makes some time to get going. Try watching videos of people playing it and it'll suddenly make sense.

The list seems fine btw I love Flicker + Archaeomancer or Mnemonic Wall for infinite blinks, but it bogs the deck down even more
>>
I tried playing out some legit pauper decks in paper, namely Affinity, Grixis Delver and Acid Trip.

Are the games supposed to be tedious grindfests? The removal, especially in Delver, was just too efficient. Play out angler for B? Okay, it gets fettered, Acid, or Journeyed. Delver has bolts, terminates, edicts and demise. Is it the decks I played, and if so, list out some decks that can win quickly.
>>
File: 20160328_125550.jpg (4 MB, 4128x2322) Image search: [Google]
20160328_125550.jpg
4 MB, 4128x2322
Looking at this teachings deck it actually looks pretty miserable to play against. Might have to take it out before too long
>>
>>46297026
I told you before, all of those decks are incredibly boring. All of them are control decks and all of them goo into turn 40 regularly.

Where is Burn? Stompy? Goblins? Slivers?
>>
Last thread someone asked for my UW tron pauper list, and I forgot to type it up before I went to sleep.

Lands
4x Urza's Tower
4x Urza's Power Plant
4x Urza's Mine
4x Tranquil Cove
2x Remote Isle
2x Island
1x Plains

Enchantments
4x Journey to Nowhere
2x Oblivion Ring
2x Ryhstic Circle

Artifacts
4x Expedition Map
4x Prophetic Prism
4x Azorious Signet

Instants
4x Condescend
3x Repeal
1x Overrule
1x Scour from Existence
1x Capsize

Creatures
4x Mulldrifter
4x Sea Gate Oracle
2x Ulamog's Crusher

SB has another capsize, some Curse of the bloody tome, Fade Away,more countermagic, and some other stuff.
>>46297026
Yes. The answers are so much stronger than the threats.
>>
>>46296055
>using a nice shoebox to store cards
I do that too! My cube lives in one of those.
>>
>>46296296
Also really nice to see you getting such a nice start with the gauntlet!
>>
>>46296387
Mono black control, green aggro and mono blue delver seems like some frequent top8 decks
>>
>>46297867
Our list is basically the same except for the Signets and Condescends I had to replace them with counterspells. Curse of the Bloody Tome sounds like an interesting choice against control decks.
>>
>>46298715
I wouldn't dream of playing without the Signets, it gives me a ramp plan if I don't get my tron lands.
>>
>>46290902
2 Cuombajj Witches
4 Chittering Rats
4 Phyrexian Rager
4 Gray Merchant of Asphodel
3 Disfigure
2 Duress
1 Unearth
3 Chainer's Edict
2 Geth's Verdict
4 Sign in Blood
2 Victim of Night
1 Pestilence
2 Tendrils of Corruption
1 Corrupt
4 Barren Moor
19 Swamp
2 Gurmag Angler
SB: 2 Pestilence
SB: 2 Nihil Spellbomb
SB: 2 Cuombajj Witches
SB: 4 Choking Sands
SB: 3 Wrench Mind
SB: 1 Font of Return
SB: 1 Death Denied
Stability>Memebrews.

I'm finishing my american tron.
>>
>>46293143
>>46295893
Yeah, Bloodsworn has R in rules box so he has both Black and Red color identity.
>>
File: Tortured Faeries.png (20 KB, 335x539) Image search: [Google]
Tortured Faeries.png
20 KB, 335x539
Been playing this and doing OK with it, any suggestions?
Specifically, any advice vs tron or U/R kiln fiend? I don't know how to consistently beat those.
Thinking of replacing dark withering for murderous compulsion (can't get hit by dispel, which for some reason every kiln fiend deck seems to board in against me, and hits gurmag, which can be a bother, but worse against ulamog's crusher.)
>>
>>46296296
Grind them out with lifegain and Skyfishers then spam Earthqua- I mean Crypt Rats until opponent is dead when you get bored.
>>
>>46295534
I would buy a good preconstructed cube.
>>
>>46302586
They sell those. They're called booster boxes. YMMV on "good."

Maybe check out cube tutor.
>>
File: 5408587_orig.jpg (70 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
5408587_orig.jpg
70 KB, 312x445
>>46291185
They would find a way. Just look at what >>46291871 already pitched in such a short time.

Releasing a box with all the staples like >>46295534 suggested would be a good idea. Especially because it shouldn't upset "collectors" because most cards are nearly worthless anyway.
>>
>>46303769
That would be tops. Chuck in bolt and semen visions and they'd fly off the shelves. Not likely to happen though, not when they can use those cards piecemeal to adjust the value of products that wouldn't otherwise be worth much or sell well.
>>
>>46290902
Hi Mr. Rosewater. I'm really enjoying the adventures of the Jacetice League in Standard, though I do think it's a shame we don't see many interesting creatures like the Origins Oathvengers in pauper.
>>
Another shitbrew ahoy, Naya Landfall! Aiming to have a bit more staying power with sqawk/gear instead of going in on the Temur Battle Rage combo- if I wanted to go all in I'd play izzet blitz. Could defs be adjusted to include more landfall creatures over searing blaze and vines, which could well be better.

//Artifact (4)
4 Adventuring Gear

//Creature (21)
2 Hooting Mandrills
4 Makindi Sliderunner
4 Plated Geopede
4 Squadron Hawk
3 Steppe Lynx
4 Wild Nacatl

//Instant (13)
4 Crop Rotation
4 Lightning Bolt
3 Searing Blaze
2 Vines of Vastwood

//Land (22)
4 Evolving Wilds
4 Forest
1 Gruul Turf
1 Khalni Garden
3 Mountain
2 Plains
1 Sejiri Steppe
1 Selesnya Sanctuary
1 Teetering Peaks
4 Terramorphic Expanse
>>
Last shitbrew for now, esper kitty. Trinket mage is a fun toolbox, though it lacks the reach which bolts and blasts provide.

//Artifact (12)
1 Bonesplitter
2 Executioner's Capsule
4 Ichor Wellspring
4 Prophetic Prism
1 Relic of Progenitus

//Artifact Creature (1)
1 Phyrexian Walker

//Creature (22)
2 Dream Stalker
4 Glint Hawk
4 Kor Skyfisher
2 Lone Missionary
2 Mulldrifter
4 Squadron Hawk
4 Trinket Mage

//Instant (4)
4 Brainstorm

//Land (21)
2 Ancient Den
1 Azorius Chancery
1 Dimir Aqueduct
4 Evolving Wilds
2 Island
1 Orzhov Basilica
2 Plains
1 Seat of the Synod
2 Swamp
4 Terramorphic Expanse
1 Vault of Whispers
>>
>>46304550
Isnt 3 colors going to end up to slow and unstable vs goblins and stompy?
>>
>>46305031
Quite possibly. It's not a great deck. Considering journeys and firebolts in the sb to delay things out until hawk advantage and bigger blockers can take over. Maybe pulse of murasa too. But all of these board options just dilute the landfall further. Hm.
>>
>>46304085
What else should a pauper supplemental product contain? Chromatic Stars and Spheres? Brainstorm? All artifact lands?

Delver would be out because it's a DFC and Semen Visions would be out because of collectors and because it isn't played all that much
>>
>>46305139
Anything in the top 8 more than $1 really. Those are all good candidates. Is the set designed to be draftable? If it's going to be released as boosters at rrp theyll need a way to boost the EV. Maybe foils. Or are you thinking more a clash pack style product? RW artifacts vs UB control would be able to get enough value in for people to buy it based on that alone.
>>
File: morbid.jpg (733 KB, 1379x731) Image search: [Google]
morbid.jpg
733 KB, 1379x731
>>46297026
affinity can win quickly, the other two are supposed to be durdly grindfests

try Aristocrats/BG Morbid
whatever people call it
>>
>>46305185
I was thinking of something like a cube myself, with various decklists included. Every box should have the contents to assemble at least two or three different decks at the same time.

I know they'll never do it but it would be a fun product.
>>
What fast decks are most fun to play? Most seem fairly straightforward and boring
>>
>>46305204
That deck looks really fun, is it any good?
>>
>>46306173
its fair, i haven't played it enough against enough archetypes but i think it can hold its own in a meta
unless there are a lot of decks that like to go wide

its fun because you dont just fold to a wipe, you can chumpblock for days, your removal is great against big shit like Zombie Fish, you can go wide, or trample over smaller things.
In short, it's quite versatile.

flyers are a problem atm, scattershot archer is a tad lacklustre.

im still tweaking this list that i stole from the Pauper Gauntlet
>>
>>46305326
It would be. I doubt they're going to ever sell cubes, not when it competes against their booster sales. A duel deck isn't beyond the realm of possibility though.
>>
>>46306345
It would be nice to see a duel deck that's actually good for a change. I doubt they could resist the urge to add some rares and a mythic for each deck though.
>>
>>46307500
If I ever get friends, I want to make my own Pauper duel decks, but balancing is hard.

Any ideas? They don't need to be tier 1. Super cheap would be awesome. I bet I could make some Pauper duel decks for 20 bucks for like 4 decks.
>>
Does anyone else browse old sets looking for playable pauper stuff? There are always some gems hidden, but I feel the format has kinda been solved because people don't want to try out new decks.

Shards of Alara has some pretty cool stuff, lots keywords and 2-3 colors.
>>
>>46308375
I like to do it with stuff from Urza Block up until eight edition, those have some neat stuff I wish I could get my hands on to play Pauper and Pauper EDH. All that delicious graveyard interaction.
>>
>>46308435
Aren't most commons from those blocks really cheap? It's the rares and some uncommons that are expensive, with some exceptions.
>>
>>46308515
They are cheap, thing is on South America it's hard to find stuff older than Alara (Kamigawa specially, sometimes I think most people set fire to all Kamigawa cards they had apart from Jite and Top) because eternal formats were very unpopular up until one or two years ago. Sometimes I stumble upon someone who played back then and has a shoebox full of that stuff but they never sell it because nostalgia.
>>
>>46308556
Are you br?
I have this exact same problem. I'm trying to build a Slivers deck and even online stores don't have more than 1 or 2 of the commons from Time Spiral.
>>
>>46308593
Yeah
I'll never get those damned Springing Tigers and Werebears for my self-mill deck
>>
>>46308228
Just make cheap Mono decks. That's what I did. Shows players what the colors are good at, and single land decks are less confusing for newbies.
Cheap Green Stompy, White Weenie, RDW, U Control, Black Infect. Done. Don't even get sideboards.
>>
>>46308616
I'm br too, we should play together
>>
Speaking of SoI, you guys think the new additions can make for a Madness-themed deck? Besides Alms of the Vein and Just the Wind, what else is there?

>>46308593
>>46308632
Where are you guys from? MT here
>>
>>46308676
You replied to the same person (me) twice. I'm in DF.

The best cards are Murderous Compulsion, Sanitarium Skeleton, Angelic Purge and maybe Modgraf Scavenger. Some of the reprints are pretty good too.
>>
>>46295893
>Multicolored (also "multicolor", "multi-colored", "multi-color"; as opposed to "monocolored", "mono-colored" "single-colored") cards were introduced in the Legends set, and use a gold frame to distinguish them. For this reason, they can be referred to as "gold" cards
I don't really see any gold uncommons in SOI
>>
How do I buy a premade cube? Where?
>>
>>46309360
Just netdeck? And order from your prefered site.
>>
>>46308676
I didn't see many cards with Madness this set. Most are pretty overcosted as well.
>>
>>46308623
Anyone think I can make Mono decks of each color for 20 bucks?

I love duel decks but they confuse most newbies.
Thread replies: 71
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.