[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Suggest to me a cool fantasy setting where card games are SERIOUS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8
File: 5.png (123 KB, 235x235) Image search: [Google]
5.png
123 KB, 235x235
Suggest to me a cool fantasy setting where card games are SERIOUS BUSINESS.

Hard mode: you have to want to use it for a roleplaying campaign

Nightmare mode: cards don't actually hold any special power.
>>
>>46288250
High stakes poker game run by the criminal underworld.
>>
God of gambling is hot shit in this setting, people gamble to jockey for position in his church, his clerics are treated like a rich guy in a poor suck-up town.
>>
>>46288274
This is the only correct answer
>>
>>46288274
>>46288303
WE KAIJI NOW.
>>
>>46288274
>>46288303
desu I fucked up. I was thinking specifically of a typical CCG style game. Though this guy's
>>46288284
idea would be really funny if, like, the church made the booster packs and the greatest player was the archpriest at any given time.
>>
>Greek underworld
>The dead play cards to pass the time
>Winner takes loser's cards
>It is said that whomever collects all cards and beats Hades can return to life
>Various factions form, protecting their own rare cards and trying to return their chosen leader to life so he can help them from the surface
>No one has ever succeeded
>>
>>46288284
That sounds quite a lot like No Game No Life, the background to the setting is that their was a war between the gods and they all killed each other except for the god of games, so now it was the only god left and was basically omnipotent it declared that all conflicts must be resolved with games, pretty good anime in my opinion.
>>
>>46288250
>Arcana the Assembling has taken off at the Mage's Tower University.
>The Dean cut a deal with the producers, letting them hire a boat load of interns
(the school has a contractual clause that they MUST find employment for any student who wants employment)
>they mass produce anti-counterfeiting enchantments on every pack they make.
>The integrity of the game now represents a significant amount of the local economy
>the police forces crack down on counterfeiting as well.
>The producer takes the Maximillion Approach, also known as EXTREMELY limited print runs of the most powerful cards.
>People will mug you for your rare cards because of this
>No point in taking your deck with you when you graduate, no one else plays
>The Mage's Tower is filled to the brim with peasants who passed the tests, and nobles forced to be there
>The city becomes a microcosm mirroring the real world political lines
>There's a well known oath spell that forces you to abide by any stake set on a "fair duel of honor"
>The game is complex enough to fool the spell and make it apply to it
>So there's also high stakes betting
>Also, bitches love card games
>>
>>46288662
>Cards become a symbol of wealth
>Nobles start collecting them
>Simultaneously king passes a law forbidding traditional dueling
>Nobles start dueling by playing the card game
>Gamble on titles, wives, everything
>Refusing a duel is considered to be cowardly
>Nobles always have a servant carry their deck in them in an ornate box so that they are always ready
>>
>>46288662
My only problem with this is that no one else plays. Wouldn't at least the Alumni play?
>>
>>46288855
Maybe in the nobility, but anyone with less money cashes out since you cant buy the cards outside the city (yet) and the decks are expensive
>>
>>46288959
So the deck could be a family heirloom, with sons and daughters bringing the decks of their mothers and fathers, who started with the decks of their mothers and fathers, and so on.
>>
>>46289089
>what is power creep
>>
>>46288250
Make a setting with the premise of No Game No Life.
As a fa/tg/uy this is actually a neat idea.
>>
>>46288658
>>46289244
this, if you want a setting which explains why games are an important aspect of life No Game No Life provides that, and in a fantasy world too, which is nice
>>
>>46289127
Who makes the new sets?
>>
>>46290040
Original guy still. We're Duelist Kingdom not Battle City.

Power creep happens even without making stronger cards, its just a function of expanding the card pool. Also, he's obviously printing overpowered cards to bankroll himself.
>>
>>46290725
>TFW you will never be Pegasus
>>
>>46289127
Shush. Power Creep out-of-verse can still be some card passed down through the family in-verse.
>>
>>46289127

>Deck is composed of early cards when the designers had no clue what is balanced and what is not.
>Stuff like "destroy all cards your opponent controls" or "destroy target opponent"
>>
How do you actually rule this for a tabletop game? Roll to win the duel with a modifier for cool cards sounds pretty boring.
>>
>>46288603
This is pretty sweet desu
>>
>>46291457
I suppose. For someone to be an interesting character theyd need an interesting deck after all.
>>
>>46291745
break out the ygo cards idiot

iots time to d d d d duel
>>
>>46291942
but what if I don't want it to be shit?
>>
It is the far future.
Everything has gone digital.
To unify world currency, the world banded together and created cards.
These cards can be traded universally and have taken the place of money.
They are printed with various suits.
Each of the 12 countries has a contest at the end of the year where the best players of the game face each other.
You have been saving weak cards and trading them for more expensive for years.
Welcome to the world of Solitaire!
>>
>>46288658
>anime
>good

Faggot.
>>
>Violence is forbidden in Heaven, as is all vice.
>Angels turn to card games to settle disputes of all sizes, from petty arguments to the fate of mankind.
>>
>>46288250
The game has a theoretically unlimited number of cards, which symbolize concepts, laws, knowledge, and works from pretty much every possible discipline of mankind. This makes playing the game into a convoluted, yet highly efficient and universal form of discourse involving the synthesis of all things. New knowledge is regularly revealed in the course of these games, and it taxes the players to reflect on their own values and understanding of the cosmos. Experts of the game posit that every nuance and facet of the sum of humanity's intellect can expressed within this game, and players are as much explorers as they are competitors. For this reason, the card game is considered with an almost religious reverence.
>>
A great war decimated the world and killed almost all of the gods. The only one to survive was the god of play, and they have taken this opportunity to transform the laws of the universe to revolve around games, gambling, and other forms of play.
>>
In OUR future, when most of the tech is destroyed be nukes, traditional games will be one of the most popular forms of entertainment, and will be worth loads of bottle caps or whatever we use as currency.
I assume MtG will be worth the most as it currently the best, and matches will be like watching prize fights
So save all your cards
Also save any books you have on woodworking and making instruments,(or any books) its gonna be boring without electronics and you dont want to have people so bored that they murder for fun
>>
File: Bakuuuura.png (367 KB, 445x420) Image search: [Google]
Bakuuuura.png
367 KB, 445x420
>>46297577
>mtg
>the best
>>
>>46297705
you have to be over 18 to post here?
dont come back
>>
>>46297770
Jokes on you i turned 18 last week
>>
>>46288250
Have you seen that episode of Recess where that card game takes over the playground, and everyone is basically in a cult dedicated to it.

Something like that.
>>
>>46297705

No Game No Life is hot garbage as far as story goes but the setting seemed interesting.

Basically its your typical fantasy realm with elves and magic and all that. Except a long time ago the various gods had a massive war with each other leaving only one god left alive because he chose to sit out: the God of Games. Being the only god left he imposed new rules for everyone in his world to live by.

1 All murder, war, and robbery is forbidden in this world.
2 All conflict in this world will be resolved through games.
3 In games, each player will bet something that they agree is of equal value.
4 As long as it doesn't violate pledge three, anything may be bet, and any game may be played.
5 The challenged party has the right to decide the rules of the game.
6 Any bets made in accordance with the pledges must be upheld.
7 Conflicts between groups will be conducted by designated representatives with absolute authority.
8 Being caught cheating during a game is grounds for an instant loss.
9 In the name of god, the previous rules may never be changed.
10 Let's all have fun and play together!
>>
File: Thats Heresy.jpg (382 KB, 867x1300) Image search: [Google]
Thats Heresy.jpg
382 KB, 867x1300
>>46297834
>>
>>46297834
well then you should have realized that yugioh is shit
there are 10yos at my lgs that think its for stupid faggots
>>
>>46297887

I note it says 'Being caught'. Not 'Cheating'.
>>
>>46297931
at my lgs there are 10 year olds who think table top rpgs in general are for stupid faggot
>>
>>46298083
with all the horror stories on this page, maybe theyre on to something
its seeming more likely that people only play to live out their horrible fetishes in proxy
>>
>>46298032
That's not only a plot point, it's forced by thermodynamics of trying to observe every quantum of the game at once.
>>
File: one of those days.png (8 KB, 208x186) Image search: [Google]
one of those days.png
8 KB, 208x186
>>46298404
>this anon might be onto something
>>
>>46292637
Dude, it's the current year. You should know by now, weebs gonna weeb, faggots gonna fag. You having shit taste isn't gonna stop shit.
>>
The Culture series had something like this in one of the books. One small empire had a game (though it was closer to a war game than a card game) that was so massively complicated all other games in their society were mere derivatives or small sections of that game, with progress in the government based on game proficiency. Needless to say, they took it VERY seriously.
>>
File: _Ajimbo.png (46 KB, 185x138) Image search: [Google]
_Ajimbo.png
46 KB, 185x138
>>46297859
>>
After several milenia of war, technological advancement, and other bullshit modern day humans do. generic fantasy races can no longer survive if they don't replace their conflicts with something that doesn't genocide the shit out of (let's just say) every dwarven nation when dropped into a mountain. (The dwarves were winning and would have been the powergamers humans should be) thus poker with plots of land as the chips replaced the conflicts, (after the orcs were genocided because they would be the purpetual losser race that replaces tieflings and half orcs) and eventually everyone, from bandits to nobles and even outsiders started substituting combat with gambing.

There, I made your setting on nightmare mode and it offers plenty of plot points, HFY, and averted fuck the elves. Now give me my mfw
>>
>>46292042
underrated post
>>
File: shittaste.jpg (49 KB, 494x366) Image search: [Google]
shittaste.jpg
49 KB, 494x366
>>46298856
>>
File: wallpaper02.jpg (67 KB, 433x527) Image search: [Google]
wallpaper02.jpg
67 KB, 433x527
>>46288250
Im probably begin so edgy with this...
In one episode of this series, the guys go to an alternative reality in wich the war of independence was won by the side that lose it in our reality and all USA is now more like texas, and also the economy is ruled by gamble and card games
>>
>>46298974
>there are people on this board who still remember The Culture
I'm glad /tg/ is a thing.
>>
>Hardmode
>implying I can't answer hardmode in 1 word
>2hu
>>
>>46288284
Name the god Lady Luck
>>
What about a system that allows you to use <insert competitive card game> as a means to finish up objectives?

Make it in such a way that yugioh, MTG, pokemon, Weiss Schwartz, etc can be used.
>>
>>46308714
Not quite the same thing, but remember Pazaak in Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic

That got played in real life multiple times in the last Star Wars campaign I was in.
>>
I remember a really cool card game from a book I read years ago called, "The Seventh Tower."

The game was called Beastmaker and each card played with some creature that existed somewhere in the world. You were trying to use components from different creatures to build a unique creature that would then fight the opponent's creature based on the stats of head, heart, temper, skin, speed, strength, and special. I don't remember it playing a huge part in the actual world, but I thought the game concept was really cool, especially in a space-faring or plane-spanning setting with lots of creature variety.
>>
Thanks, op. Now I need to run a VELOcity campaign were people settle their differences with a children's card game.
I didn't know I needed this before.
>>
>>46288250
Does reading ones fortune with tarot-cards count as a card game? If so, Amalur fits regular, hard, and nightmare mode
Thread replies: 60
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.