[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Modern General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39
File: 635938969577018219.png (171 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
635938969577018219.png
171 KB, 265x370
Creature (30)
3x Cemetery Reaper
4x Death Baron
4x Diregraf Colossus
3x Diregraf Ghoul
4x Gravecrawler
3x Lord of the Undead
3x Lotleth Troll
3x Putrid Leech
3x Relentless Dead
Land (22)
4x Cavern of Souls
2x Forest
4x Overgrown Tomb
2x Polluted Delta
6x Swamp
4x Verdant Catacombs
Instant (8)
4x Abrupt Decay
4x Collected Company
Will this deck be tier 1 after Eldrazi rotates out? Idk, you tell me. Also anyone suggesting wasteland should be in modern should go play legacy.
>>
>>46283919

When it comes to tribal decks, especially ones that run CoCo, you have to ask: What makes this tribal deck better than any other tribal deck that does the same thing or runs CoCo? Merfolk is the premier beatdown aggro tribal deck because of its redundancy of Lords and unfair unlockable combat. Elves on the other hand is the best CoCo tribal deck, able to win consistently turn 4, has a toolbox approach to hate and can win outside of combat combo-style.

Zombies need to have some sort of edge over these other alternatives to have some sort of viability. Maybe if they gave it a way to disrupt opponents gameplan more, or gave it more potent creatures sure.
>>
>>46283998
Elves can win consistently turn 4?
>>
>>46284032

Pretty much, 1st turn dork into second turn archdruid or 1st turn heritage druid into dwynen's elite or nettle sentinel can usually win the game turn 4 undisrupted.
>>
>>46283998
There are 2 arguments I'd make for this deck as to what it has up on Merfolk and Elves. Firstly, it's not as fragile as Elves, and it's creatures are more of an impact, elves runs lots of mana dorks and shit cards and honestly I have seen a lot of cocos go off on elves and not hit shit. As far as Merfolk goes, I think this deck grinds a lot better. It can take one lord of the undead, or one cemetery reaper, or 1 diregraf collosus, or 1 relentless dead, or one coco, and generate a lot more value, and board presence than anything Merfolk has to offer. Yes Merfolk draws more cards, but I really do think that in a stalled board state this deck outperforms merfolk.
>>
>>46284103
I mean, would you say having an undisrupted arch druid is consistent?
>>
>>46284131

Well yknow that's the point. It has the potential to win turn 4 undisrupted but has other outs as well if it does through chord and CoCo. Shaman of the Pack really pushed the deck's reach, and the archtype is flexible enough that there are many variants, toolbox via Chord or vomit via Lead the Stampede.
>>
>>46284176
I've always just felt like elves is just too easy to end. It's not the fastest deck, and if you're able to kill off their high impact guys like ezuri or arch druid their board of 1/1s and 2/2s is just not impressive. I feel like they could do great in a meta with not a lot of creature removal, but as is I just don't see it being tier 1 when it just gets slaughtered by pyroclasm
>>
File: TrollinAutists.jpg (14 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
TrollinAutists.jpg
14 KB, 223x310
Shit card or shittest card? Discuss
>>
>>46284253
Ehh it's won me games.
>>
>>46284250

It's great in formats with little RG Tron and Jeskai Midrange/Control variants. It thrives in metagames with equally un interactive decks like Ad Nauseam, Affinity and to some extent Burn. Burn has an edge because it turns into a control deck vs Elves and can lock itnout with an early Eidolon though.

Historically RG Tron is Elves toughest matchup though. Pyroclasm is just too brutal without open mana for chord, and Ugin is just game over
>>
>>46284313
How does it do against GBX decks?
>>
>>46284360

Eh, it's alright from what I've seen in my meta and from streams. Even when I tried it, it all depends if Elves vomits early. Of course the early disruption is pretty brutal, which is why the Lead the Stampede builds have an edge over the Chord variants vs BGx because it refills quickly. Boards usually pack Chameleon Colossus too vs BGx
>>
>>46284403
Idk, chameleon Collosus seems a little too cute. I just don't see how elves can compete with a Jund deck, cause they're guaranteed to be playing more ways to answer your threats than elves is playing. I just think it seems like a terrible matchup, I don't know why. I could definitely see Elves doing well in some meta cause of its explosiveness, flexibility and going wide, but in other metas I can just see it getting controlled to all fuck. I've played against the deck a few times with my Kiki Chord deck, and main board paths and a pontiff literally make their game unwinnable, idk, maybe I'll try it a little more, maybe the kid I've seen playing it just isn't good, oh well.
>>
>>46284475

It's a high variance deck with added toolbox factor. Sometimes it just has the silver bullet to win, sometimes it doesnt, but even if it doesn't have archsruid or Ezuri, 2 Shaman of the Packs usually seal the deal
>>
>>46284253
I hated playing it in standard.

Dustbowl when?
>>
File: image:76495.jpg (67 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:76495.jpg
67 KB, 312x445
Should I build Imperial Painter or Sneak and Show for Legacy?
>>
File: image:81604.jpg (67 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:81604.jpg
67 KB, 312x445
Unban when?
>>
File: image:81600.jpg (34 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image:81600.jpg
34 KB, 312x445
I wish I could use this in Legacy
>>
>>46284360

Usually against GBx decks Elves is a 50/50 matchup traditionally Elvish Champion used to be in the lists somewhere and would be an extra lord and be able to swing Elves through Goyf infested forests. Chameleon Colossus also sees play in the side because other than Path it pretty much beats all their removal and counts as an Elf itself.
>>
>>46284826
That depends on a lot of things anon. Also if they reprint painter, which they won't, but if they do go for that.
>>
>>46284950
I think I'll just build Sneak Show. Easier to play and probably easier to build. I have most the fetches already and I have the creatures too. I'll budget on the duals.
>>
>>46283919

Seems very vulnerable to Rest in Peace and would have a hard time dealing with Scooze beatdowns.

Also since you're running CoCo consider Skaab Ruinator and going in more of a UB/BUG shell.
>>
>>46283919
Really weak to graveyard hate and a lot of the lords don't look like they do enough
>>
>>46283919
If you're deadset on tribal zombies, maybe toss in some Geralf's Messengers?
Alternately, do what I'm doing and instead of going tribal, go devotion. with 4 gravecrawlers, bloodghasts, relentless dead and geralf's messengers, you get a ton of devotion very easily as well as having an entire list of recursive beating threats. Toss down a turn 4 Gary, with the possiblity of recurring it later with relentless dead and you have a deck that seems like it could really frustrate fairer decks and non combo decks.
>>
>>46283919
It just doesn't look like it interacts much. Other than abrupt decay you don't really have any answers to threats or anything beyond beyond just casting more zombies
>>
>>46284886

That glorious feeling when you cast it in Vintage Cube with a storm count of 5 and you get your Brain Freeze and Empty the Warrens on Turn 5 from the top.
>>
>>46283919
OP I would consider 4 Abrupt Decays awful even in a midrange Rock shell
This deck needs Aether Vials
>>
>>46285117
It's not that weak to graveyard hate.
A well timed Relic would only kill your Gravecrawlers and stop the lords from activating their abilities which aren't that vital anyway.
I agree that it needs to take advantage of Black's strengths more, it should have more hand disruption
>>
>>46284032
The thing is that Merfolk doesn't scoop just when the other guy shows a Pyroclasm.
>>
>>46285677
I am forgetting my lingo.
What did Rock shell refer again?
>>
>>46283998
>Unfair unblockable combat
:^)
>>
>>46285959
Midrange BG goodstuff
>>
>>46285965

What's your point?
>>
How do we make Zombie tribal stronger than Merfolk tribal? I mean it's monoblack, it has some of the dirtiest tricks, I'm sure it's possible to make it a strong deck. Maybe not aggro, but something a bit slower like Legacy goblins which became truly strong only on turn 4, what do you think??

>>46284826

This art is fucking fantaaaastic
>>
>>46286043
Swampwalk lords.
>>
>>46286043
Easy print:
Cucklord's memesaire BB
Zombie
Other zombies get +1/+1
2/2
And
Great zombie knight of the memetic horde BB
Zombie
Other zombies get +1/+1
2/2
And
Fedorette tipper of the shitplayer BB
Zombie
Other zombies get +1/+1
2/2

If you see the pattern you'll see why merfolk is the only viable pure-aggro tribal and generally the only viable tribal that doesn't pull dirty shit like elves or goblins.
>>
File: actual size burn mat.jpg (2 MB, 3264x2448) Image search: [Google]
actual size burn mat.jpg
2 MB, 3264x2448
I sold off my burn deck today. I was just bored of playing it. That, and a guy at my LGS was offering me close to 90% of the price it'd be to assemble it on TCGPlayer or the like.

Not even sure what to do with the funds. I probably will just pay bills or some reprinted FOWs when EMA releases. SOI doesn't sound like an interesting pre-release nor an interesting draft, but maybe that's because I hate flippy cards.
>>
>>46286087
Zombies do have graveyard recursion, but I don't know how valuable that is in a game where you can just shut down the graveyard.
I think Diregraf Colossus gives the tribal a big boost though
>>
>>46286155
WELP! You're still a shitter supreme!
>>
>>46286202
Well you're a big meanie poopy head
>>
>>46286087
Forgot the swampwalk
>>
File: 10[2].jpg (57 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
10[2].jpg
57 KB, 312x445
Modern only needs one card (and the unbanning of 100% of the banned cards) to be truly saved:

Reprint Price of Progress.
>>
>>46286235

>unban Sword of the Meek

Ftfy
>>
>>46286228
Eh, swamps aren't that prominent for it to be basically "lol unblockable 90% of matchups!", but yes I did.
>>
>>46286241

This, Sword of the Meek is only banned because they forgot to unban it, it's not powerful right now
>>
>>46286263
Merfolk takes advantage of Islandwalk with Sea's Claim and Spreading Seas
Black also has enchantments like that but zombies still have no swampwalk
>>
>>46286278
>Enchantments
Just urborg their shit up senpai.
>>
>>46286263
Urborg m8
>>
Zombies should be a tribal deck but not aggro, more like control with wraths and shit
>>
>>46286289
>>46286293
But there's still no swampwalk
>>
>>46286310
Yes, and 90% of your good cards are at cost 3, which means it's shit.
Like UR lock enchantment, everything you want to play is at 3, you have no curve or anything.

Also it's modern wotc, so forget about good stuff before cost 3, le pendulum swings and stuff :v)
>>
>>46286310

Why would zombies need to attack when you can just sacrifice them to kill?
>>
>>46286043
The lords don't give evasion and the zombies themselves do little to interact with opponents. Merfolk lords at least tend to give islandwalk and have merrow reejerey and cursecatcher to delay the opponent. Zombie lords just protect zombies or get the back, which don't do anything to stop the opponent enough.
>>
>>46286358
oh, and that guy who bounces stuff and has flash for 2 mana more. You could run fleshbag marauder I suppose if you had enough zombie token generators.
>>
>>46286321
You can get around that with Coco and Vials
>>
>>46286399

coco?
>>
>>46286447
Collected Company
>>
>>46286399
>Y-you get around a shit curve...
>With vial(wait 3 turns) and coco(4cmc off color as fuck)
Lol.
>>
>>46286563
Yes that's what I said
>>
>>46286580
And it's why it proves why you're fucking bad.
>>
>>46286597
I'll see you in tier 1 in a couple of weeks motherfucker
>>
>>46286611
If that happens I'll shootmyself in the dick with a 20 gauge.
Protip: Will never happen, zombies will forever suck and be just doing a job worse than any other fucking deck that tries it.
>m-muh grind?
Loan and junk/d d it better.
>M-muh aggro memes?
Affinity is better
>M-muh tribal?
Elves and merfolk do it better
>Being the mill of aggro
you're doing it son.
>>
>>46286660
All I hear is excuses
If you can't make zombies work then maybe you're the bad one kid
>>
>>46286681
Prove zombies are good. They're not, hard proof shown before proves me right (and you as a cuck).
Protip: You're a shitbrewer in deep denial, discussion closed you've OWNED kiddo!
>>
>>46286711
You're right, I HAVE owned.
I owned YOU little buddy, now get out of my face before I really have to get serious
>>
>>46286741
>this deep and butthurt denial
Lol kiddy, go back to >>>/standard/ they have epic vampirez'n'shiiiet xddd
>>
File: oiCwih9.jpg (22 KB, 367x500) Image search: [Google]
oiCwih9.jpg
22 KB, 367x500
>>46286758
You couldn't leave well enough alone could you.
Heh..revenge is a dish best served cold..I'll see you in a few weeks..
>>
/!\ ALERT /!\
MEME LIST UPDATED!
MEMEDERN MEMELIST INBOUND!!
/!\ ALERT /!\
/!\ ALERT /!\
/!\ ALERT /!\
Remand... good timewalk!
Explore.... basically timewalk!
Críptic command... basically wrath of god PLUS timewalk PLUS counterspell all in one card!
Dread return.... would make dredge tier 0!
Zombie tribal... is tier 1!
Eldrazi.... is balanced!
Modern... is balanced!
Modern... is not a big-ass meme.
The jew.... is not real!
Modern.... is cheap!
/!\ END ALERT /!\
>>
File: triggering image.png (947 KB, 710x500) Image search: [Google]
triggering image.png
947 KB, 710x500
>>46286779
>using cheap japanese SHIT
>>
>>46285011
I don't think it's all too vulnerable to Rip. The deck utilizes the graveyard really well in my opinion, but doesn't rely on it entirely like grishoalbrand or dredge. Also with 4 creatures that grant death touch, and 4 cocos, and 4 decays I don't think scooze beat downs woukd be the end of the world. And whike agree coco into ruinator seems pretty good, then I'm spreading my mana pretty thin, and to be fair he's really bad and I'd rather not be casting him. What else does blue offer would be my question?
>>46285117
I don't think it's really weak to graveyard hate, I think graveyard hate hinders my late gane but if they can't deal with my board then I think I'd still have the win. And yes, the zombie Lords are not as good as the Merfolk ones, but I disagree that they don't do enough. Generating a 3/3 every turn can steal a game, and returning creatures to my hand is very good. Also death touch makes me able to get through walls, and make profitable blocks if I need to.
>>46285134
I feel Like Geralfs Messenger could definitely find a home, but for the moment my 3 drops are very cluttered. Geralfs Messenger does a lot of work, but 3 mana is pretty set, and my lords and Collosus seem to be better in that position.
>>46285168
You're right, it doesn't interact too much, but neither do most aggro decks like bogles or infect or affinity. The deck is fast, I mean really, copy paste it on tapped out and you'll see its easily bringing down 20 damage by turn 5 or early as 4, and the recursion is what makes this deck to me.
>>46285677
Why does 4 abrupt decay seem bad to you? I want ways to get rid of some stuff, and I couldn't think of anything above 3 mana that I'd absolutely need to get rid of.
>>46285866
I mean, pyroclasm can set back Merfolk pretty good, it's not as good against Merfolk as it is elves but still.
>>46286307
Why not aggro? It can make a board presence pretty quick in my opinion.
>>
>>46287094
I run 1 Abrupt Decay in my Coco deck and sometimes that feels superfluous too
You should be concerned with being proactive, not reactive
>>
ITT: op tries to inject some form of fun or enjoyment into the game of magic the gathering and is shot down by the council of cuntwankery that are the players of the modern format, i hope they release cards in a future set that makes zombies t1 and you can all eat your own bags of righteous shit.
>>
>>46286321
But 90% of the cards aren't at 3, and it curves into 3 pretty well. I have no idea what you're talking about, 18 cards are above 3, and coco is well worth it, turn 1 grave crawler into turn 2 Leech into turn 3 lord is pretty attainable, and presents a lot of pressure early. Why would you say 90% of the deck costs 3 when you know it doesn't?
>>46286358
Yes, the zombies don't have evasion, this is true, but they can go much wider than Merfolk. They're also applying deathtouch, and can recur from the yard so the not being unblock able is less of an impact in my opinion
>>46286563
Really, I don't understand how it's a shit curve
>>46286660
I'm going to make the same argument about this deck, as people do with kiki chord.(inb4 kiki chord is shit too)
First of all, loam doesn't do anything good, I guarantee this deck has a good matchup against loam. Also it doesn't grind the best, but it can grind. It may not be the fastest aggro deck but it can be quick and it can steal games. And I wouldn't say elves and Merfolk do it better, cause this is an entirely different deck and we're going for different things. And when you take into account that it can do these things, not the best, but well enough. And that's what makes it good, not being the best but being well rounded.
>>
>>46287228
Relentless Dead and Diregraf Colossus are a good start but they're not enough, thankfully there's still Eldritch Moon to go
>>
>>46287163
I run 4 Decay because there are things I can't beat, and I don't like that. It gets ensnaring bridge, it gets eidolon. Maybe I don't want to draw 2 all the time, maybe sometimes I'd rather draw none, or maybe I'd rather just have 3 total in the deck, but there has never been a time to me where the card has been just bad, I don't want to lose game 1 to ensnaring bridge.
>>
>>46287267
What decks mainboard Bridge aside from Lantern and sometimes 8rack?
>>
>>46287279
A lot of decks have actually been running them recently due to Eldrazi, at least in my meta, anyhow maybe I shouldnt take that into account because of the impending ban. Anyhow, I still like to have an answer, and decay is a fine catch all answer, I'm sure there are other cards I can't beat, and I absolutely want some way to get around it.
>>
>>46287229
Yeah, elves and merfolk try to win.
You just meme it up 24/7 and drop 0-4.
>>
>>46287279
>>46287306
Also I'd mention it helps with bogles, it's great against infect and really any of the aggro decks, I mean, it's not the best answer to affinity, but killing a plating or a master of etherium can win games
>>
>>46287229
14 out of 60 are cmc 3.
That's nearly 30%.
And that's a shitload.
>M-muh cuckooooooo!!!!!11
no dorks=you suck cock.
No good etbs.
No good ANYTHING.
It's a shit deck, was a shitdeck, will be a shitdeck.
Go back to play mill.
>>
>>46287376
You have tunnel vision and think every tribal deck needs to be like merfolk
Zombies go wider than any other tribal, and elves win by going wide, therefore it's a proven strategy
>>
>>46287376
Actually that's closer to 20% than 30.
Also mana dorks sure are great to hit with coco, and lots of 1 toughness creatures is not what I want. How does no dorks mean the deck is bad? Lots of decks don't run dorks, all it does is make my coco have better hits. And yes it doesn't have many good etb triggers, but the creatures have plenty of ways of coming back to the battlefield or generating value on their own, also the way you composed your post makes me think you're just childish and if you can't keep your arguments reasonable I'm just not even going to bother.
>>
>>46287421
Also I'd add to this that whike elves do go wide, this deck can stand up a lot better to board wipes and forked bolts.
>>
>>46287421
I wouldn't say zombies goes wider than elves, but I would say it's better at staying wide.
>>
>>46286321
>Like UR lock enchantment

Are you seriously implying that

>A) Blue Moon is a bad deck
>B) Red doesn't have ramp

?

God, no wonder why they say tht /tg/ is terrible at Magic.
>>
>>46287421
Not him, but how are you going to go wide when about half of your creatures are at 3 cmc? You'll have clunky hands, and you'll mostly only be able to cast 1 spell per turn, if at all.

>>46287455
Every modern deck that runs Coco runs mana dorks. Being able to cast it a turn earlier is very powerful, and hitting a dork off it is still not bad (unless you needed something RIGHT NOW), because being to cast more spells than your opponent is a way to gain an early advantage.
>>
>>46287558
But this deck doesn't run mana dorks, it wouldn't mind playing 3 drops on turn 2, but you already have powerful 3 drops and 1 drops that can apply reasonable pressure on their own, the decks are doing different things.
>>
>>46287468

That's pretty arguable though, considering Elves dies hard vs Pyroclasm if you don't have a Chord for Forge Tender or a CoCo/Lead to refill.
>>
>>46287603
I meant you already have powerful 2 drops that curve nicely into 3 drops.
>>
Thinking of building Grixis Delver but I really don't like Young Pyromancer in the deck.

Aren't any good substitutes for 2 mana that benefits of casting spells ? Making 1/1s doesn't seem enought for me.
>>
>>46287624
I'd definitely build the deck and then see if you like young Pyromancer, it's earned it's spot man.
>>
>>46287606
And this dies hard vs an actual aggro deck or an actual control deck or any other board wipe.
Also you need to wait until t3 hitting all your land drops to survive clasm.
>>
>>46287539
I meant WR not UR.
>>
>>46287624
YP is one of the best two drops in the game.
>Making 1/1s doesn't seem enough for me.
Having every spell you cast generate additional value seems pretty good. I may be wrong. It makes your deck more resilient to spot removal as well as letting you go wide and generate a massive amount of pressure.

If you don't want any of that then maybe Stormchaser, or Abbot, or Kiln Fiend. This is in addition to Snapcaster right?
>>
>>46287638
Yhea after all they are inexpensive so I might try them out before judging them.

>>46287685
Of course, snapcaster is a staple in the deck. Stormchaser Mage is interesting for a more aggressive shell, I might try it out too.
>>
>>46287669
This doesn't die to control though, I've been playtesting it against my brothers uwr control deck and it applies pressure quick and you can play conservatively enough that you don't fold to wraths. The thing is just droppin a couple 2 power toughness guys into am open board can win, with plenty of recursion on top.
>>
>>46287756
This is before they board into RiP right?
>>
>>46287756
>Mah brother's UWR control
Oh.
That kind of "testing". Let me guess he uses some "non-standard decklist that's topes OP! it tops fnm every night dude!".
>>
>>46287805
No its a legit deck, 4 snaps 4 collonades, 3 cryptics, it's a legitimate urw control.
>>
>>46287855
it's fine, I bet your bro-bro is topest super good!
he tops all fnms!
>>
>>46287928
At least he tested it at all
Unlike you
>>
>>46287928
Why do you feel the need to talk like a retard? His deck is fine. You're saying it's not good, but it's a fine urw control deck, what is your argument?
>>
>>46287997
>>46287976
>Get BTFO into the next universe
>>
>>46287997
>>46287976
>Being *THIS* butthurt over getting talked down like the subhuman you're
LOL
>>
>>46288033
>>46288038
>samefagging this desperately
>>
>>46287997
>>46287976
Son...
Consider suicide....
>>
>>46288033
>>46288038
>>46288048
It's easter morning and I'm hosting brunch for my family now. Stay pathetic friend.
>>
>>46288043
t. samefag that just got blown the hell out of here

Go make some custom cards son. Or standard general, because I'll come to every thread to remind everyone some subhuman here thought "le zombies le tier 1 XDDDD" wasn't a meme and he was actually serious.

If I was you I'd cut all ties now and admit you're not fit to play magic with adults. Probably kill yourself too.
>>
>>46288056
>He can't even check for samefag
LOL.
>>
File: file.png (12 KB, 547x74) Image search: [Google]
file.png
12 KB, 547x74
LoL
o
LoL
>>
>>46288057
Oh man I can just picture a lonely fattie sitting alone at his keyboard typing all of that shit
>>
>>46288079
:^)
>>
>>46288057
I wasn't serious about tier 1, I do think it could be a deck though. Stop typing like a retard, there's no need for that
>>
>>46288181
>Zombie tribal tier 1?
>>
>>46283919
>I'm going to put coco in every creature deck ever

when will this meme end?
>>
>>46288215
I think it's a lot more beneficial when it's already in color, and especially in tribal, coco is much better with tribal. Also it's a good card, why not use it in creature heavy decks wit good creatures?
>>
>>46288202
That was a joke man, come on, obviously it isn't tuer 1.
>>
>>46288270
>>
>>46288314
Okay dude, ignore the fact that I was joking about it being tier 1 and try to go back to where we see if it's viable or not.
>>
File: Shitbrwers when called out.png (168 KB, 568x1023) Image search: [Google]
Shitbrwers when called out.png
168 KB, 568x1023
>>46288442
It's not, you've explained why(multiple fucking times), you've entered in deep shitbrewing fumes fueled denial and started shitposting.
>>
>>46288453
Actually that was me
I love shitposting
>>
>>46286043
>How do we make Zombie tribal stronger than Merfolk tribal
lords that cost 2 mana and another that gives swampwalk
>>
>>46288483
Is unblockable really that necessary?
>>
>>46288483
No, no.
Lords that are 2/2, cost 2 mana instead of 3 like every lord did and give you landwalk to boot.

Up to this day I still wonder why the merfolk lords are CMC2 instead of CMC3.
>>
>>46288506
Not realllly considering that Death Baron gives all your dudes deathtouch. Its not as good but it might work.

>>46288512
>Up to this day I still wonder why the merfolk lords are CMC2 instead of CMC3.
because R&D is and has always been biased towards blue
Blue can do literally fucking anything
>>
>>46288512
I'd rather have lord of the Undead ability than landwalk
>>
>>46288568
There's hardly any reason to even have Lord of the Undead when Relentless Undead puts the zombie back into play
>>
>>46288558
It is, because blocking<not blocked, just damage to the dome.

>>46288568
>Wha? Unblockable army with urborg on a barely used type?
>FUCK DAT, DED TOUCH OP!
You're so bad it isn't even funny anon.
>>
>>46283919
And that shit is going right into my EDH Skullbriar deck
>>
>>46288586
>>46288568
Oh shit you mean the other guy.
Yeah that's even worse, you get each turn to NOT attack and instead get a zombie back.
it's better to kill the other player before you even get to have 2 spare mana just lying around.
>>
been out of the game since urza block, has there been a blue or otherwise card made yet that counters an ability of a permanent and then makes that permanent unable to use abilities till it dies?
>>
>>46288578
Because relentless dead cost has to be paid at th time he dies, which may not be what you want to be paying for, it seems just better late game.
>>46288586
Death touch isn't what I'm talking about faggot.
>>
>>46288632
see >>46288608
An overcosted entomb effect on a subpar creature at tapping speed is awful. Just awful. If you don't get why this is awful you're outright a bad player that doesn't understand modern general meta or magic in general.
>>
File: file.png (291 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
file.png
291 KB, 312x445
>>46288653
DISentomb* fuck.
>>
>>46288669
Except it's a repeatable disentomb every turn for essentially every card in your deck, it's a disentomb on a stick that pumps all your guys. I guarantee if there was a Merfolk lord with the same effect it would see play
>>
>>46288716
The problem is that you're gonna be tapped out most turns anyway just by casting your guys
You're never going to have time to cast that ability
>>
File: file.png (130 KB, 200x285) Image search: [Google]
file.png
130 KB, 200x285
>>46288716
Do you understand the CONCEPT of tempo?
Also, it wouldn't. Merfolk aims to kill the other player before "pay 2 mana, tap my probably 4/4 lord and then pay MORE mana for a creature that might be able to attack NEXT turn" becomes even relevant. Pic related is merfolks highest mana-demanding card. Huge ETB effect that automatically wins the game if you have ANY board control.

merfolk has MUCH, MUCH better options than a shitty 1UU 2/2 that lets you return cards from the grave.

>>46288752
Or by the time that you get to use it, anyone trying to grind (because before turn 4+ you won't be using it, and normally it'd be turn 7+) or go mid-late will have much better things than you have in the field.
>>
File: 46435745678.jpg (13 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
46435745678.jpg
13 KB, 259x194
>>46283919
>>46287421
Where Elves go wide and Merfolk tries to tempo, Zombies sure must have it's own way to play. Each tribe - and by that, color - has it's own inherent strength which you need to capitalize on.

The thing where Zombies can excel basically comes down to attrition. Gravecrawler, Relentless Dead, Messenger - all these creatures are hard to get rid off permanently. You should try and emphasize on this strategy.

Don't focus so much on the creature count, as each and one of them have a natural element of recursion between them. I wouldn't bother with Lords, as they interfere with any strategy that revolves around stuff dying all the time.

I'd rather use cards that compliment a grinding strategy: hand disruption combined with removal to slow down the opponent and try out various flex slots that can do both.

I would start with at least this shell:

8x Black Fetch
4x Overgrown Tomb
4x Gravecrawler
4x Relentless Dead
3x Geralf's Messenger
4x Liliana of the Veil
4x Abrupt Decay
2x Murderous Cut/Smother
4x Inquisition of Kozilek
2x Duress/Thoughtseize

I would also try out the following cards:
- Darkblast
- Lotleth Troll
- Dreg Mangler
- Rotting Rats
- Viscera Dragger
- Lifebane Zombie
- Golgari Charm

Doubtful if it could hit Tier 2, but stranger things have happened in Modern. More importantly, it looks like a lot of fun.
>>
>>46288811
You have to focus on creature count if you're running Coco, it will miss far too often if you run less than 30 creatures
>>
>>46288811
>>46288811
Zombies has it's own thing: Being bad
>>
>>46288811
>The thing where Zombies can excel basically comes down to attrition
Does it do attrition better than other attrition decks?
Does it beat faster decks such as eldrazi?
Does it beat combo decks?
Does it have good curve?
Does it have good disruption?

You fail at the first question, if your job is done 100% better by ANOTHER deck, your deck is simply bad. Why play zombies when I can just play jundk? There is no reason at all.
>>
is this duel masters
>>
>>46288874
No, this is duel memesters
>>
>>46288851
>Does it do attrition better than other attrition decks?
Yes
>Does it beat faster decks such as eldrazi?
Moot point, eldrazi will be gone in two weeks
>Does it beat combo decks?
No and neither can any other aggro deck
>Does it have good curve?
It can be made to
>Does it have good disruption?
It can be made to

Dumb questions that prove nothing apply yourself
>>
How to make this disaster even a bit more consistent
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/intruder-orchard/
>>
>>46288889
>>Does it do attrition better than other attrition decks?
>Yes
Hahaha.
HAHAHAHA.

You're fucking delusional son. How about you go for the butt-aid, stop moving the goal posts and fuck off into casual/standard while you keep not understanding basic magic things like tempo or actual attrition.
>>
>>46288821
CoCo seems really bad in these kind of decks to me. That card fits a better role in aggressive/combo decks.

>>46288826
Sure, for RPTQs and things that matter I'd rather sleeve up my Elves.

>>46288851
Spikedy Spike of Spikeness. But I'll indulge you:
Does it do attrition better than other attrition decks?
>Does it beat faster decks such as eldrazi?
Banned in two weeks, so yeah, I guess?

>Does it beat combo decks?
Does Junk/Jund when the Johnny opponent finds his combo around the disruption thrown at him?

>Does it have good curve?
Actually, from the looks of it, yes. If this curve is fast/good enough for Modern.. doubtful.

>Does it have good disruption?
Does Tarmogoyf Thoughtseize the opponent?

The aggressive stubbornness of this post amazes me.
>>
>>46288908
>I have never played a zombie deck against a control deck
>>
>>46288930
>memedern
>Control
Yup, keeeep recursing that 2/2... I'll just be over here, I cast emrakul! Woppsies doopsies!
>>
>>46288960
>your deck loses to this other deck in this specific hypothetical situation
>therefore it's bad
Yawn
>>
>>46288889
>Moot point, eldrazi will be gone in two weeks
There's also Infect and Affinity.

>No and neither can any other aggro deck
They can race. A fast clock coupled with some disruption can often get the job done.
>>
>>46288973
>Your deck loses to this deck that's the reason why attrition is bad in modern (pre eldrazi)
>????
>NOT AN ARGUMENT!!!!!!
Stubbornness strong eh senpai.
>>
>>46288985
He's a retard trying to force his memepet deck, he got btfo so hard it isn't even funny.
he also doesn't get why attrition doesn't really work in modern or why control decks aren't that good at all (not only answers, but tron also decimates any lategame strat).
>>
>>46288994
Zombies don't just have attrition
>>
>>46286129
Good thing there's no flip cards in this set. Just those awesome dual-faced cards.
>>
>>46289023
>Racing speed
You get outraced so hard it isn't even funny
>Consistency
None, at all.
>Speed
Zero at all
>G-go w-wide?
No ramp with a top-heavy curve that just prays t hit all lands and then coco for value?
>>
>>46289075
You're bad at magic
>>
File: file.png (374 KB, 640x454) Image search: [Google]
file.png
374 KB, 640x454
>>46289116
>>
>>46289130
I said it first so it's more true, unlike what you said which is false
>>
>>46289154
>What you say is false!
>What I say is true!
Proof of why shitbrewers should be killed.
See >>46288453
You're high on on shitbrewing fumes.
>>
>>46286235
FREE STONEFORGE MYSTIC
>>
File: 1328152020313.png (228 KB, 392x384) Image search: [Google]
1328152020313.png
228 KB, 392x384
Can we agree to start the next thread without a shitbrew in the OP?
>>
>>46289318
Weebs should all die
>>
>>46289318
I swear there's just one guy who does OPs right. Most either don't type the right subject and/or post a decklist.

It also sucks when these faggots post Standard-legal cards to attract standardfags or shitters in general. You know, that guy:
>i opened this card in a booster pack, what deck should i build with it?
>>
I think the problem is that everyone is trying to reinvent Merfolk to make zombies good.
I don't doubt for a second that zambies are perfectly good as a mono black midrange sort of deck.
Fuck lords, your 3 drops will be colossus and fleshbag
Run lots of killspells and cards like vile rebirth
Thoughtseize and Inquisition
Run painter's servant for sweet synergy with cards like slay, deathmark and lifebane zombie No one will see it coming
>>
>>46287624
Thing in the ice seems like a good replacement.
>>
>>46289537
If you want to do mono black then just run 4,lily and 4 times obliterator, no need for zombies when you have value like that
>>
>>46290049
Obliterator is bad senpai, don't play it its a trap
>>
>>46290137
Why is it bad? Unblockable 5/5 seems pretty good for 4
>>
>>46283919
You're running a lot of bad creatures here.
>>
File: 789078907890789078097890.png (12 KB, 355x317) Image search: [Google]
789078907890789078097890.png
12 KB, 355x317
>>46283919
What about this deck idea? I think this has the potential to survive in an eldrazi meta.
>>
File: 78968967896789687989.png (610 KB, 1309x1309) Image search: [Google]
78968967896789687989.png
610 KB, 1309x1309
So now that we are nearing an eldrazi ban, does this chart seem accurate of the future meta of modern?
>>
>>46291032
>Tron is less fair than Eldrazi
Where did the tron player touch you anon?
>>
>>46291112
Well it says B/x so I assume this was back before mimics, smashers, and thought knots
>>
>>46291032
>affinity, d&t, or lantern at all unfair
>hatebears more linear than merfolk
>anything more interactive than d&t
>junk/jund not perfectly overlapping each other
>the two trons at different levels of unfairness
>>
>>46291112
>>46291522
Stop replying to posts with this particular picture. It's always, ALWAYS a troll.
>>
>>46291032
This seems to imply that a linear deck can not be an interactive deck.
>>
>>46288894
Its shit
>>
>>46283919
Zombie trival will be a thing, but not until Eldritch Moon comes around.

>>46291032
Will SoI make or break any of these decks?, Is there any chance of BR Vampires becoming a thing in Modern?
>>
>>46288894
Its like Reverse Twin, I actually like this a lot.
Goldfishing it seems to pretty consistently get turn 4 wins
Good job anon, I like your brew.
>>
>>46288894
Why no kioras follower?
>>
>>46292102
honestly I forgot that card existed.
>>
>>46291773
>Zombie trival will be a thing, but not until Eldritch Moon comes around
Yea when they print a land that gives BB but can only be used on zombie spells. What could go wrong?
>>
>>46291522
d&t or lantern being unfair; I'm very certain you don't know the meaning of that
>>
>>46292222
Neither of those decks are unfair.
>>
>>46292242
That's my point, parent was putting them on affinity level.
>>
>>46292283
Affinity is also fair
>>
>>46291773
That depends, were there any good madness cards that Ascendancy combo could use?

Maybe thing in ice could be good in Ad Nauseam as a sideboard card against infect, burn, hatebears, and midrange decks.
>>
>>46292299
You obvioysly don't know what unfair is.
>>
>>46292315
I would say the same thing to you.
>>
>>46292299
No deck with fast mana is fair
>>
>>46292333
Any deck that casts 6 spells turn 1 is unfair. That's literally the definition.
>>
>>46292338
>>46292342
You are both mistaken.

Casting 0 mana spells for 0 mana does not make a deck unfair.

Playing a Orinthopter, tapping your single land for 1 colorless mana to cast a Springleaf, then taping your orinthopter to cast a Signal Pest is not an unfair play.

Affinity's fast mana is mostly due to everything costing 0-1 mana and synergising.

To say a deck is unfair because it has Mox Opal/springleaf drum is absolutely wrong.
>>
>>46292388
If Tron is unfair then Affinity is unfair
>>
>>46287094

>What else does blue offer would be my question?

More ways to dump Zombies into your graveyard fast via self mill or looting effects and then reanimate later.
>>
>>46292388
5-7 permanents t1 is unfair. Unfair means you take advantage of something to do MORE then is normally possible on one turn. Affinity does this. Also I'm sure you're a troll so 4/10 for getting me to reply.
>>
>>46292460
Affinity has so many answers that you should be ashamed for losing post game 1
>>
>>46292460
Why to bw tokens beat affinity?
>>
I'm playing reanimator without force of Will and duals.

How fucked up am I?
>>
>>46292460
Affinity dumping it's entire hand on turn 1 does not make the deck an "unfair" deck. All of the spells in the deck reflect the fact that they are cheap to cast. You're seeing them put a bunch of Orinthopters down and saying "wooow unfair".

You can cast as many 0 mana spells as you have in your hand. Doing so is not doing more than you're normally allowed to do.

Darksteel Citadel into Springleaf Drum. Orinthopter, tap Orinthopter to cast Vault Skirg. Mox Opal, tap Mox Opal to cast Signal Pest. This is a very typical start for Affinity, and features them putting 6 permanents onto the field. And yet they've done nothing unfair.
>>
>>46292766
Probably fine so long as you're not playing in a major tourny.
>>
>>46292638
Fairness has NOTHING to do with his beatable it is. In fact unfair decks are almost always the easiest to disrupt.
>>
>>46292766
Just run misdirection for now, it doesn't hit everything, but hits enough to be worth it.
>>
>>46292905
And what do I target that with? In general
>>
File: ss (2016-03-27 at 09.35.45).jpg (40 KB, 941x278) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-03-27 at 09.35.45).jpg
40 KB, 941x278
>/v/
>>
>>46293024
You change FoW to Misdirection.
>>
>>46292766
Buy your force of wills now man.
>>
>>46293249
But it's getting reprinted in June
>>
>>46293312
Yeah, but the new art is gay.
>>
File: 1458975504221.jpg (282 KB, 900x702) Image search: [Google]
1458975504221.jpg
282 KB, 900x702
>>46289536
>It also sucks when these faggots post Standard-legal cards to attract standardfags or shitters in general.

You mean like the eldrazi standard cards that have fucking destroyed the format for the last few months? Khans fetches? Commands? Nigga i cant even
>>
>>46292170
Zombie temple tap for BB and Braiiins of Ugin that teduces the cost of all zombies by BB its the set for it, cant go wrong
>>
>>46295426
People get triggered by the most retarded shit. As long as it says Modern General in subject field it doesn't mean shit what picture it uses.
>>
Anyone know any good Modern Budget Decks
>>
>>46296345
What's your budget, and what kind of player are you?
>>
>>46296345

8whack
Mono green stompy
Emeria Control
Taking Turns

The latter is only if youre willing to shell out ~200 bucks. The 3 prior decks are all FNM level decks, good enough for FNM, subpar for bigger events. Taking Turns is a combo deck that has a chance in bigger events
>>
>>46296345
Go to mtggoldfish and look at popular decks, sort by price.

Once you find something interesting, look at mtgtop8 to see if it's performing well enough to your liking.

Self sufficiency is fun.
>>
>>46293070
You should've seen the Magic Duels threads when the game was coming out /tg/ is bad at magic, but /v/ is truly terrible and even more unwilling to believe how terrible they are. Also that thread started with somebody posting about how unfair phage the untouchable is
>>
Here's my American (UWR) Control deck

Creature (3)
3x Snapcaster Mage

Instant (27)
2x Cryptic Command
4x Lightning Helix
4x Lightning Helix
4x Path to Exile
3x Mana Leak
2x Spell Snare
2x Remand
4x Think Twice
2x Sphinx's Revelation

Sorcery (4)
2x Serum Visions
2x Supreme Verdict

Planeswalker (2)
2x Ajani Vengeant

Land (23)
4x Flooded Strand
4x Celestial Colonade
2x Arid Mesa
4x Steam Vents
2x Glacial Fortress
1x Hallowed Fountain
2x Ghost Quarter
1x Sulfur Falls
2x Island
1x Plains

SideBoard (15)
3x Meddling Mage
3x Anger of the Gods
4x Leyline of Sanctity
3x Stony Silence
1x Spell Snare
1x Wrath of God

I've been wanting to build this deck what do y'all think?
>>
FREE SUMMER BLOOM!
>>
>>46296680
My bad it's 4x Lightning Bolt not helix and 3x Serum Visions
>>
>>46296680
8 lightning helix?
>>
File: 118259056.png (329 KB, 799x450) Image search: [Google]
118259056.png
329 KB, 799x450
>>46296700
I FUCKING WISH
>>
Free

Summer Bloom
Dread Return
Sword of the Meek

#MakeModernGreatAgain
>>
>>46296805
I saw that it's supposed to be bolt and I accidentally put 1 serum visions less muh bad
>>
>>46296805
go big or go home
>>
>>46295426
Recently we had the 13phobia card as the OP. And that thread was fucking bad.
>>
File: 667896789678967896789.png (11 KB, 670x188) Image search: [Google]
667896789678967896789.png
11 KB, 670x188
>>46297199
Guys, what do you think of this deck? It has the potential to combo on turn 1. I think it is really good.
>>
With twin out, what are good sideboard toys for blue tron?
>>
File: Cryptic Command_LRW.jpg (38 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Cryptic Command_LRW.jpg
38 KB, 312x445
>>46296680
If you want your Revelations to matter then you need to make your land drops, and Serum Visions is not the way to do that. I would cut Visions, Ajani, and Verdict, adding in:
2 fetchlands and another utility land
A bigger finisher like Gideon, Keranos, or Elspeth
4th Snapcaster
3rd Cryptic

Manabase needs work as well. You definitely don't want 4 Steam Vents.
Assuming you don't have Tarns, I would play:
4 Colonnade
4 Strand
4 Mesa
2 Steam Vents
1 Hallowed Fountain
1 Sacred Foundry
3 Island
1 Plains
1 Mountain
2 Sulfur Falls
3 Tectonic Edge
Also, you generally want Tec Edges over Ghost Quarters whenever you're really relying on Mana Leak.

And finally, you want to diversify your Sideboard a lot. You're really missing out on a lot of good removal in your colors and the ability to play flexible cards that change the overall strategy of your deck instead of hating out one archetype.
Try this:
2 Stony Silence
2 Kor Firewalker
2 Runed Halo
2 Vendilion Clique
1 Dispel
1 Negate
1 Celestial Purge
1 Wear // Tear
1 Counterflux
1 Anger of the Gods
1 Wrath of God
>>
File: image.jpg (22 KB, 178x248) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22 KB, 178x248
How competitive is burn?

I like playing it but I don't do too great with it so far, went 1-3 the other day and 2-2 recently, losing to affinity and uwr control (should have won but got hit by 2 leyline of sanctitys and no land)

Also to the burn players who have had good success, what lists do you run?

I'm currently running the nacatl variant

4bolt
4rift
4spike
4boros
4atarka
4eidolon
4nacatl
4guides
4swiftspear
2lavamancer
2helix
>>
>>46297672
You can lose to affinity and uwr control. Uwr control is actually not a good matchup for you, but it's winnable. Thing is though, if the opponent draws better than you, you lose, that's how burn goes man. That's why I think burn is gay, cause if you don't win fast you just lose, there's no game plan. Play something else man.
>>
>>46292311
There was a 2 Mana Sleight of hand with madness, but I don't think ascendancy combo really wants that.
>>
How do you justify the cost of this game.
>>
>>46298009
I mean I play goblins too because it was pretty easy to build out from burn and I enjoy it but I put more money into burn so I feel like I should try to make it work

I can play atarka goblins to get past red having no enchantment hate so I suppose it wouldn't be so bad to switch over
>>
>>46298234
Bitches love magic, the more expensive your deck the more you get your dick sucked, foil it out and you can get 2 bitches at once
>>
>>46298234
All hobbies are expensive. MTG is no exception.
>>
>>46298319
This is not a valid argument. It might make you feel better, but it's not. Sorry
>>
>>46298319
I don't. I play on cockatrice.

Hobbies don't have to be expensive. They only have to be if you're retarded about them.
>>
>>46298234
I'm a grown ass man and I make and spend my money the way I want.
>>
>>46298377
I‘m sorry that you are too poor to have hobbies anon. It must be a bleak existence going to work every day and coming home with nothing to look forward to but watching television for hours. I can't imagine how you occupy yourself on the weekends.
>>
>>46298234
It's enjoyable, and I have money to spare.
>>
Counter-proposal: Golgari deck, built around lotleth troll and other zombie synergies, and...Gnaw to the Bone. Gnaw to the Bone has the potential to gain a LOT of life, giving enough time for a green/black deck to recur and kill.
>>
>>46297383

Warping Wail, Chalice of the Void and my personal favorite, Spatial Distortion.

Distortion is so fucking good that it's even MB material. Deals with inkmoths, guides and eidolons permanently
>>
>>46298234

Try other hobbies like Photography or Coin collecting, hell you can take a page out of John Romero and go for Gasoline Station memorabilia.

Come back and tell us how much it costs
>>
File: 1449546665701.png (319 KB, 315x448) Image search: [Google]
1449546665701.png
319 KB, 315x448
What is the cheapest, competitive-tier deck that I can use to break into the format? I've played standard for a few years, but I'd really like to get into Modern.
>>
>>46298771

Merfolk's

Only have to shell out big time for vials and vaults. The rest are around 200+ bucks. It's a solid mainstay and will work in most metagames
>>
>>46291032
>Hatebears even that remotely linear.

There's a fucking reason I run this deck, to interact with the opponent in such a way that is unfavorable for them. They want to search? Arbiter and Mindcensor make it painful to do so. They want to rely on enchantments and artifacts? Quasali Pridemage their shit. Dromka's command is a way to interact with other decks it normally has a hard time against (IE Stop a Pyroclasm)

I know this is a fucking troll but that fucking part alone is so factually incorrect I'm legitimately salty
>>
>>46298810
I'm fine with shelling out a couple hundred for a solid dead with a little longevity, but I also don't want to play a complete embarassment. Would merfolk plus and extra $50 or so upgrade to a more competitive deck?

I ultimately want to do some brewing on my own, but that task is just too huge to take on without knowing and having played the format.

Thanks for the guidance.
>>
>>46298926

Merfolk's are very competitive though. It's a solid deck choice and is straightforeard to play, places respectably at big events and will always be the benchmark for fair tribal decks in the format
>>
>>46298977
sold, thanks
>>
>>46298771
Ad Nauseam. It's only about 500$.
>>
>>46298234
>How do you justify the cost of this game.
Playing: I enjoy it. The cost isn't really high.

Collecting: I enjoy it. The cards increase in value.
>>
So why aren't you having >fun and playing Zombie Hunt?
>>
>>46298977
>Merfolk's are very competitive
Merfolk is are very competitive?
>>
>>46299140
I don't think going 1-3 is very fun.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 39

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.