[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
MTG Magic The Gathering Ask A Judge - Live from /tg/ It's
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 15
File: 57.jpg (46 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
57.jpg
46 KB, 312x445
Good evening, boys and girls of /tg/! I've actually got some free time and the energy to use it tonight, so I thought I'd do a good old fashioned Ask A Judge thread! Ask me your various rules-and-judge related Magic questions!
>>
>>46275027
what do I do if my suspect my opponent is using chinese proxies?
>>
Can I use processors to mess with Madness? A friend of mine said you can't
>>
File: aether rift.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
aether rift.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
>>46276340
It's a triggered ability that doesn't finish until the card is in the graveyard or the spell is on the stack.
Processors can't put their abilities on the stack at any time that the madness card is in exile.

I have a question about Madness for the judge though.
What happens with pic related discarding a madness card? Because the card is discarded to exile and then goes to the graveyard, I assume it becomes a separate object upon changing zones and cannot be returned by Aether Rift.
>>
>>46277257
>It's a triggered ability that doesn't finish until the card is in the graveyard or the spell is on the stack.Processors can't put their abilities on the stack at any time that the madness card is in exile.

Couldn't a processor just put the card in the graveyard while the trigger is on the stack?
>>
>>46275805
Call a judge over and tell them you have a question about a card in your hand, and you'd like to ask away from the table.

Once away from the table, air your concerns, provide all info you can, and let them take it from there.

>>46276340
You can, because until the Madness trigger resolves, the card is in exile. If you can process with that ability on the stack (with an activated ability, for example) go for it.

>>46277257
It works poorly. Aether Rift will only be looking for the card in the graveyard, but by the time it gets there (whether you cast it via Madness or not), it's a new object, so Aether Rift gives up and can't find anything.

>>46277547
Yes.
>>
>>46277257

>You can, because until the Madness trigger resolves, the card is in exile. If you can process with that ability on the stack (with an activated ability, for example) go for it.

And that is why you should leave answering questions in the ask a judge thread to the judges, buddy.
>>
>>46277659
Hey, don't get all uppity. He's trying to help, and that's the purpose of the threads.
>>
If I have both Rest in Peace and Kalitas, Traitor of Ghet on the board, and my opponent's creature dies, what happens? I've heard countless different interpretations of the rules from various levels of judges.
>>
>>46279526
The permanent's controller (your opponent since it's his creature) chooses which replacement effect to apply first. Your opponent usually doesn't want you to get a zombie, so he'll apply RIP first.
>>
File: en_QXtNR6W5hJ.png (166 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
en_QXtNR6W5hJ.png
166 KB, 265x370
>Sinister Concoction
Since you can pay the total cost in any order, I think you can choose which card to discard after knowing which card is milled. am i rite?
>>
>>46282574
Seems right to me; pretty sure costs don't use the stack.
>>
>>46275027
Can I pass from the Main Phase to the Post Combat Main Phase without trying to attack in the Combat Phase?
Or will I just go to the End Phase from the first Main Phase?
>>
>>46283064
You can offer a shortcut to your opponent if you don't plan to attack. Rules wise, you go through every phase within a turn.
Also no, you will always get a second main phase even if you don't attack.
>>
>>46275027
Suppose you have a combo generating infinite mana, and an ability that causes the opponent to mill one card. You can therefore mill their entire deck, one card at a time.

First question: is there a rule that allows you to shortcut that, and say "mill you X times"? If so, does that work only if you put all of the activations on the stack at once, or can you do so if you want each one to resolve before putting another on the stack?

Now, if your opponent has Ulamog the Infinite Gyre in their deck, they can't actually be milled to death, because Ulamog shuffles the graveyard back into the deck each time it gets milled. However, in theory if you kept milling long enough, eventually their shuffle would put Ulamog on the bottom, so you could then mill them down to one card (and thus have a good chance of winning). On average, that happen about 1/N shuffles with N cards left in the deck and graveyard; if you instead stop with M cards left in the deck instead, it'll happen M out of N shuffles.

Assuming you had no other win condition readily available to do instead, what could you legally do within the rules to get as close as possible to this?

This isn't meant as a "how to be annoying within the rules" question. I'm genuinely wondering whether, in a circumstance like this where both players recognize that a combo would lead to a given game state eventually, that state isn't an immediate win or draw, and it's in one player's best interests to get it there, if there's any legal way to get there.
>>
>>46282574
No cards happen in the order they are written.

First you pay B then 1 life then put the top card of your library into your graveyard then discard and then you sacrifice
>>
>>46285206
>is there a rule that allows you to shortcut that, and say "mill you X times"?
If you have proven that you can do it infinitely then yes you can do that.

>Now, if your opponent has Ulamog the Infinite Gyre in their deck, they can't actually be milled to death, because Ulamog shuffles the graveyard back into the deck each time it gets milled. However, in theory if you kept milling long enough, eventually their shuffle would put Ulamog on the bottom, so you could then mill them down to one card (and thus have a good chance of winning). On average, that happen about 1/N shuffles with N cards left in the deck and graveyard; if you instead stop with M cards left in the deck instead, it'll happen M out of N shuffles.

Let's say your opponent has 50 cards in his deck and you mill him for 100 cards. Then he can just put his entire deck without ulamog into his entire graveyard and keep ulamog as his library. But if you or your Opponent have cards that trigger if a creature card is put into graveyard from anywhere than you need to go through the motion. Or if someone has cards where the Graveyard order matters.
>>
>>46285817
AFAIK that's actually wrong, you can't say "mill until only Ulamog left" as you need to be able to say exactly how many times you activated the mill ability. You can't do that because shuffling makes it random.
>>
>>46285817
>Let's say your opponent has 50 cards in his deck and you mill him for 100 cards. Then he can just put his entire deck without ulamog into his entire graveyard and keep ulamog as his library
i'm not sure you know what you're talking about.

>>46285206
>ulamog thing
You can't because you don't know how many iterations you need to get the effect that you desired. If you keep doing it you'll be penalized for slow play. I think gA can explain it better.
>>
>>46285817
>>46285206
You are allowed to shortcut an infinite combo. You just have to show one iteration of said combo.

As for the Ulamog milling strategy, no.
It's theoretically possible that the heat death of the universe occurs before Ulamog ends up on the bottom of your library.

It has a random element and is thus not an infinite combo.
>>
>>46285944
>It has a random element and is thus not an infinite combo.
I realize I'm grossly oversimplifying things and that it off course won't automatically beat any combo but, can am I correct in understanding that you're saying that all you have to do to disrupt any infinite combo in mtg (as far as the rules are concerned) is introduce a random element to it?

If so, that's actually very interesting.
>>
>>46286038
wasn't there a deck named four horsemen that tried to do something like that to its own graveyard, but got a game loss from a judge for slow play?
>>
>>46286120
I don't know. It's just that this makes me look at beating combos in a different way. I always just try to stop them. But perhaps there are more avenue's to attack it.
>>
This raises interesting questions about infinite combos and randomness.

Suppose you had infinite mana, and an ability that amounts to "Flip a coin. If it comes up heads, do 1 damage to target player.". It's clear that you win, but does the randomness mean you have to actually flip coins until you get as many heads as the opponent has life points, or can you shortcut it, despite the theoretical possibility that you could flip an arbitrary number of tails in a row? If the former, that seems strange. And if the latter, then the only difference between that and "keep milling cards and forcing shuffles until the library only has Ulamog and nothing else in it" is one of degree.
>>
>>46286038
>>46286120
Yes, decks like Four Horsemen and Eggs "kinda" go infinite, but there is a random element to it. It's possible that they fuck up somewhere and the recipe changes depending on what you draw, so they have to go through the entire thing manually.

This also takes fucking forever, and second sunrise got banned in modern for this reason.

Not because the deck was too good, but it was just so annoyingly slow.
>>
>>46286364
I assume degree would come into it, as you would be able to reasonably finish that combo before "slow play" got into the picture, don't quote me on that though.
>>
>>46279011
And spreading false information while doing it? If you don't know the rules you shouldn't try to answer questions about them.
>>
>>46286376
Thanks, but what I guess I'm asking is if a combo would be ruled as a fail if a random element where introduced to it that would force the player to go true the motions till the possible death of the universe. Not because the combo couldn't result in a win but because the introduction of the random element would make the chances of that to slim as in situation with Ulamog here>>46285206

I'm just wondering if perhaps there are simpler ways to beat combo then to try and stop said combo from happening.
>>
>>46286475
Nah, introducing a random element is way harder than simply stopping it.
>>
>>46286364
with your example it's still an infinite combo, the only way I could see you needing to actually flip a coin until you hit 20 heads is if your opponent somehow forces you to not shortcut your combo.

If the random effect had multiple possible targets (like say Mana Clash or Goblin Test Pilot) then you would need to resolve each coin flip individually
>>
Morning bump! Looks like there were many questions overnight
>>
>>46287946
Just so I can refresh my memory, can you double check all of these possible morph/displacer interactions?
>blinking a face down creature will bring it into play face up.
>If the card had megamorph, it will not get a +1/+1 counter on it
>Any "when this card is flipped face up" effects don't trigger.
>Any "enters the battlefield" effects WILL trigger
>if a manifested instant or sorcery gets blinked, call a judge because we're playing standard and he fucked up
>>
>>46287946
Me and friend played for the first time in forever last night, and got caught up in a strange situation.
Does death go on the stack, or any in particular order? He had falkenreath noble and another creature he was blocking with, vs my three creatures. Both Falkenreath and his other creature died, and my 2/2 got through. He had 1 life left, so we were wondering - does the falkenreath noble ability trigger for both it and the other creature simultaneously, before my 2/2 gets through?
>>
>>46289014
The death of his creatures and the loss of life from unblocked attackers happens at the same time. The trigger goes on the stack but before it resolves, SBAs see a player at 0 or less life and he loses the game.

Death does not "use" the stack. It checks to see if it should off anyone every time a player gets priority (and he does some other things to. Death is responsible for all SBA's, it's his punishment.)
>>
>>46289170
So the life gain from the ability doesn't have a chance to activate, since he already hit's 0 by the time it resolves?
>>
>>46289233
mostly. It will ACTIVATE, but it will never RESOLVE, because he gets killed by SBAs in between those two events.
>>
>>46289255
ah gotcha, thanks anon
>>
>>46275027
Has your interest in Magic waned in recent years with the simplification of cards, senseless bannings, and senseless lack of unbannings?
>>
>>46285589
For effects, however for costs:
>601.2h. The player pays the total cost in any order. Partial payments are not allowed. Unpayable costs can't be paid.
so yes, he could pay them in any order.

>>46287946
Whatcha think of the rule change of back-side of cards?
>>
>>46289001
In order:

Yes
Correct.
Correct.
Correct.
No need to call a judge- it's 100% legal for that to come up in Standard (until the release of SOI). What happens is the thing gets exiled, and stays there because instants and sorceries can't enter the battlefield.

>>46289255
Actually, it TRIGGERS, it doesn't ACTIVATE.

>>46289567
Since I mostly play goofy shit like EDH, the trainwreck that is Modern's metagame doesn't really affect me. I don't mind them simplifying cards, because most of it really is stuff that didn't NEED to be extra complex; I really like what MaRo calls "lenticular design", where there's one angle that's rock-stupid obvious to everyone, but more experienced players can see it from another angle and utilize it more. That's better than just complexity for the sake of complexity, in my opinion.

>>46289705
Them having the CMC of their front side? It feels awkward, but I also consider Tabak a living rules god, so I defer to him. I'm sure they have a good reason for changing it, whether that's design space in Eldritch Moon, or just not wanting people to be able to thunderfuck things with Abrupt Decay and Ratchet Bomb.
>>
If I discard a card to pay the cost of an ability or as the cost to cast a card and I discard a card with madness and pay it's madness cost, what would go on the stack first?
>>
>>46289931
The Madness trigger. You'll activate the ability or cast the spell, and it'll go onto the stack, then you start paying for it. Madness shunts the card into exile, then triggers, so the Madness trigger is on the stack above the spell
>>
>>46286210
Not a rules tip, more of a gameplay one. You dont beat combos by some convoluted way to make them fizzle. Just side in distruption (targeted discard, countermagic for ex) or hate cards. Or just race em.
>>
>>46289964
Just to double check:
>activate an ability with a discard cost and put it on the stack
>discard a madness card, madness triggers and goes on the stack
>madness trigger resolves and the madness cost is paid, madness card is put on the stack
>madness card resolves
>activated ability resolves
Do I have it right?
>>
File: Image.ashx.jpg (29 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Image.ashx.jpg
29 KB, 223x310
>>46275027
If Jeleva, Nephalia's Scourge enters battlefield as a commander in EDH for second/another time, can she cast while attacking spells exiled with her first time she entered battlfield?
>>
>>46291258
yes

>>46291341
no you can't
>>
So now with backsides of DFCs having a mana cost, do they contribute towards devotion as though they were day face up?
Flip Nissa and her lack of devotion leaving Karametra offline has cost me games before.
>>
File: 3klnw39 - Imgur.png (278 KB, 375x523) Image search: [Google]
3klnw39 - Imgur.png
278 KB, 375x523
Can Luke's controller activate the ability when there are no +1/+1 counters on Luke?
It was pretty confusing when we drafted the set recently. Fun, but still very unbalanced. Explores some cool mechanical design space, too, not to mention the flavor.
>>
>>46291258
Yes

>>46291341
No

>>46291660
Yes.

>>46291802
Afraid I only answer questions about cards that exist.
>>
>>46291660
>>46291949
>So now with backsides of DFCs having a mana cost, do they contribute towards devotion as though they were day face up?
>Yes.

Isn't this incorrect? Based on the SOI mechanics article, the converted mana cost is carried over, but the mana cost is not.
>>
>>46292165
Ah, you're right, I'm sorry- I had misremembered.

It still has a null MANA COST, but somehow drains the CMC because rules. It will NOT count for devotion.
>>
>>46292224
wait what?
i understand what is meant but how does that make sense? seems way more complicated and counterintuitive than just keeping the whole mana cost of the sunny side.
By the way, what's the mana cost of a flipped kamigawa flip card?
>>
File: 1456707458938.jpg (192 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
1456707458938.jpg
192 KB, 1920x1080
I'm new to MTG but not ard games. Soon enough i want to get into tournament. Where to start for rules? What sets to buy? any tips? Cheers
>>
>>46292760
Basically, CMC is something that's derived. So far, we've derived it from the mana cost of the card itself, and night-side DFCs have no mana cost, thus they have a CMC of 0.

With SoI, they'll look at the mana cost of the FRONT for their CMC, but their MANA COST is still null. So a flipped Delver of Secrets has a CMC of 1 for things like Ratchet Bomb, but contributes nothing to devotion, because Insectile Aberration has no blue mana symbols in the cost.

The Kamigawa flips have the same mana cost upside and downside.

>>46292833
Well, there's several formats; Modern, Legacy, Standard, Vintage, Block, as well as limited formats like Sealed and Draft, which involve sealed product rather than bringing a deck.

Standard is by far the most wide-spread and "easily accessible" format; I wouldn't recommend buying loose packs to build a deck, though.
>>
>>46292850
Cheers man, I only buy the packs to calm the gambler in me, was just making sure u=it's not mad important.
>>
>>46292833
get the free to play magic duels game on steam, it teaches you the rules. optionally, play casual games with a friend using free sample decks, a duel deck or intro packs.
go to a draft or sealed event so you don't have to buy a deck before playing in tournaments. prereleases are pretty cool for that, there's one next weekend. if you feel you've gotten the hang of the rules until then, i recommend you check it out
>>
I'm a new player and i have a few questions

Does a spell target when it is cast or when it resolves? And in case of a spell like 'Searing Light' if an opponent casts it on my creature and i pump it above 2 will my creature still die?

Another question: If i have a creature that when it dies leaves a token and i am attacking with Nantuko husk and sacrifice the creature, how does the token generation work? And is it possible for me to sacrifice the token in the same combat for that same nantuko?
>>
>>46293308
>I'm a new player and i have a few questions
>Does a spell target when it is cast or when it resolves? And in case of a spell like 'Searing Light' if an opponent casts it on my creature and i pump it above 2 will my creature still die?
when cast. it checks again on resolution. if the target has gone away or become illegal by then, it fizzles. so if you pump your creature it'll survive.
>Another question: If i have a creature that when it dies leaves a token and i am attacking with Nantuko husk and sacrifice the creature, how does the token generation work? And is it possible for me to sacrifice the token in the same combat for that same nantuko?
you activate the pump ability, you pay the cost of sacing a creature, that puts a trigger on the stack, when that resolves you get a token. then you can sac that token for another pump activation.
>>
File: 110.jpg (79 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
110.jpg
79 KB, 312x445
Okay here's a weird one.
>Experiment Kraj is in play
>Sarkhan, the Dragonspeaker is in play
>Sarkhan becomes a creature with his +1 ability
>Sarkhan gets a +1 counter from Kraj
Can Kraj use Sarkhan's +1 ability for as long as Sarkhan is a dragon and get loyalty counters placed on him and become a dragon? Does he have a once per turn restriction? Can he then also use minus abilities once he has enough loyalty counters?
And, GA, do you have any weird and/or fun Kraj stories to tell?
>>
>>46293308
You choose the target when you cast, but it needs the target to be legal on resolution too. A pump in response to Searing Light will make the spell fizzle- that is, the game's rules will counter it on resolution. None of its effects happen because it has no legal targets.

>other question
I'm not sure I understand what you're asking. You sac the creature, it dies, you get a token. And yes, you can feed that token to Husk as well. You can activate an ability as many times as you can pay for it, unless the rules for that kind of ability (hi, loyalty abilities!) or the ability itself say otherwise.

>>46293882
It has all the activated abilities Sarkhan does, so it has all three loyalty abilities. It can use whichever ones it can pay for, but still only once per turn.
>>
File: image.jpg (46 KB, 265x370) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
46 KB, 265x370
Do creatures regenerate health only during my upkeep or at the end of every turn?

If someone casts complete disregard on a 3/3 managorger hydra does the hydra's effect save it or is it exiled?
>>
>>46275027
If I have a saffi eriksdotter on board with any other creature(let's say a vorinclex) and my opponent casts necromantic selection can I sack saffi target vorinclex and save it from being stolen by my opponent when it dies or can he still pick vorinclex and saffis ability just fizzles?
>>
File: image.jpg (38 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
38 KB, 223x310
If this card dies the turn I put it out do I still have to pay its mana cost?
>>
>>46294228

>If someone casts complete disregard on a 3/3 managorger hydra does the hydra's effect save it or is it exiled?

They can cast Complete Disregard on your hydra when it's a 3/3 and then your Managorger Hydra's triggered ability goes on the stack above it so it will resolve before the Complete Disregard and gain a +1/+1 counter. Now seeing as it was already a 3/3 before it will now become a 4/4 and then the Complete Disregard will try and resolve and your Hydra is no longer a legal target for the card so it fizzles out. So yes the Hydra will be saved as long as you remember the trigger(it's mandatory trigger not a "may" clause!)

>Do creatures regenerate health only during my upkeep or at the end of every turn?

End of every turn.
>>
>>46294376
Thanks! Guess my dad thought the upkeep was like a "resting" phase for your creatures.
>>
>>46294294
If he choose Vorinclex, then Saffi's ability fizzles because no target.
>>
>>46294353
I doubt gA answers questions for unglued/unhinged cards but yes, Super Haste has a delayed trigger much like Final Fortune

The real question is if I have a RPTS in play, can I play the clone in my hand as a copy of RPTS and not have to pay its mana cost until next turn?
>>
>>46294228
There is no such thing as 'health'.

Damage marked on creatures is removed during each CLEANUP step, which is the last step of a turn; has nothing to do with upkeeps.

Hydra would trigger and become a 4/4, then Complete Disregard would fizzle.

>>46294294
Nope. Selection would get the Vorinclex back as it's resolving, and then the Saffi trigger would resolve and do fuck-all.

>>46294353
Silver bordered question gets the Silver Bordered Answer: "Sure, why not?"

>>46294641
I do, I just answer literally every single one with the same answer.
>>
File: image.jpg (75 KB, 400x558) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
75 KB, 400x558
If I played two other spells this turn and the opponent only has 4 cards in hand would it be better to have them pick a card at random to keep or go through the three triggers in order?
>>
>>46295038
>the opponent only has 4 cards in hand would it be better to have them pick a card at random to keep or go through the three triggers in order?
I think you don't know what Ignite Memories does. (the opponent does not discard the card he reveals)
>>
>>46295038
I'm not sure you're reading the card right, the targeted player doesn't discard the card, so with 3 Ignite Memories on the stack it's possible to reveal the same card 3 times. They would need to reveal a card at random for each copy.
>>
>>46294228
Damage is removed from creatures during the cleanup step, which is the very last part of the turn. This is also where all "until end of turn" effects end.

If the Managorger Hydra is a 3/3, it won't die to a Complete Disregard.

>Managorger Hydra is a 3/3.
>Opponent casts Complete Disregard targeting the Hydra.
>Complete Disregard goes on the stack.
>Since a player cast a spell, the Hydra's ability triggers and goes on the stack above Complete Disregard.
>Hydra's ability resolves, making it a 4/4
>Complete Disregard tries to resolve, sees the Hydra doesn't have power 3 or less, and since it no longer has a legal target is put into the graveyard with no effect.
>>
>>46295038
I'm not sure how else you expect them to do it. The 3 copies don't merge into one spell that makes them reveal 3 cards; they reveal a card at random, then do it again, then do it again. They could reveal a 5 drop every time even though the other 3 cards are lands; they could reveal a land every time even though the other 3 are 5 drops. Do what the card says.
>>
Is it allowed to include more than one Relentless Rats/Shadowborn Apostle in an EDH deck?
>>
File: 142.jpg (64 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
142.jpg
64 KB, 312x445
>>46297597
Yup.
>>
>>46297597
Yes. The rules on the cards override the format's rules on how many of a card you can have, just like they override it in every other format where they're legal
>>
Not so much an "ask a judge" post, just some stupid things that happened with the stack. If there were a judge
present, we probably would've consulted just to share the absurdity.

I recently played a game of EDH where there were I controlled a Hive Mind, the player to my left (B) controlled an
Isochron Scepter with Smash to Smithereens, and the third player (C) (to my right) controlled a Knowledge Pool with
a Counterspell exiled.

(B) taps out to activate Isochron Scepter, targeting Knowledge Pool. Hive Mind triggers. (C) copies it, targeting my
Sol Ring. I copy it, targeting Isochron Scepter. Before my copy resolves, cast Counterspell. Hive Mind trigger goes on the stack, then Knowledge Pool trigger. (C) counterspells my StS, (B) counters (C)'s Counter.

In response, I Blue Sun's Zenith for zero. The copies resolve, I cast Counterspell from Knowledge Pool. Hive Mind triggers, Counterspells fly everywhere, and when they resolve, the Smash to Smithereens targeting Knowledge Pool has been countered.

My original Knowledge Pool trigger resolves, and I grab a creature. Counterspells resolve, Smash'es fizzle. Net change: Me +1 big creature, (B) -1 Isochron Scepter, (C) no change.

I love Magic. I love EDH. And most of all, I love the stack.
>>
>>46300920
If we did anything wrong, let me know
>>
>>46300920
>>46300939
Whose turn was it?
>>
>>46294641
No? Because Clone doesn't get Super Haste until it's entering and after you've paid it's costs?
>>
>>46300920

>Knowledge Pool
>Hive Mind
>EDH

I would have just scooped at this point. I once played a multiplayer EDH game with two Knowledge Pool's and it was just frustrating. Hilarious but frustrating.
>>
Man, I've been looking for one of these for ages. I have a bunch of questions about my Jori En and my Geist of Saint Traft deck.

First things first, if I use Recoup on Surge of Tentacles in my graveyard, no matter how much I dream or wish or hope, I can't get a 8/8 Octopus? Why or why not?
>>
>>46307119
Both flashback and surge are alternative costs. You can only pick one to cast.
>>
>>46304278
It's sometimes important to House Rules an event like 2x Knowledge Pools being played. This happens on a regular basis with my playgroup because my friends and I are scrubs and love stupid moves, like, say, having 30 Knowledge Pool copies in play. Just pile up the Pool into one, chaos increases but it's just so much easier to deal with than multiple pools.
>>
>>46309280
That's what I thought. Just had hope.

Okay, here's another, Master of Predicaments and Fire // Ice. I know for things like Isochron Scepter, the CMC is 2. I know for shit like Dark Confidant, the CMC is 4. What about Master?
>>
File: overburden.jpg (30 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
overburden.jpg
30 KB, 223x310
>>46275027
Just a question for a casual deck I want to build.

How does Overburden work with the Bestow mechanic? If I pay the Bestow cost of Nyxborn Rollicker to I enchant a creature, will I need to bounce a land to my hand? What about when the enchanted creature dies and Nyxborn Rollicker falls off and is "put" into play as a creature?
>>
I don't know if this is the correct MtG thread but I recently got into the game and I am loving it, but I have two big questions right now.

1. When I summon a creature using my mana pool, am I then required to use that mana pool to actually get the creature to attack? For instance: X monster requires 1 swamp plus two others. I tap my swamp and two plains for mana and summon the creature. Next turn am I then required to tap the same mana to inflict some damage on my opponent?

2. If my creature has am ability, for instance one that requires 1 swamp to activate and it let's me summon am Eldrazi Scion or some other bullshit, is that creature then tapped and unable to attack? Or am I able to activate their ability with mana and then attack right afterwards unless the description states otherwise?

Thanks in advance!
>>
>>46312192
A creature's mana cost, at the top right, is paid when you cast the creature. You do not have to keep paying it.

A creature with an activated ability might tap when you use its ability or it might not. That depends on whether or not the tap symbol is used in the costs of that ability. For example, Stone Haven Medic has the cost "{W}, {T}:", this means to use it, your creature must tap to use its ability. This means unless you find some way to untap it, it won't be able to attack the turn you used his ability, as creatures need to be untapped to attack.

Other creatures, might not have the {T} symbol in the cost of their ability. This means you are not required to tap it and therefore, it can still attack. {T} is the symbol that is a little arrow turning right.

A creature can not attack or use an ability with the {T} symbol if it hasn't been under your control since the beginning of your turn. This is commonly referred to as summoning sickness, as it is too sick from being summoned.
>>
>>46312192
Once a creature spell has resolved, unless it has an ability or other text on the card that requires you to pay, such as the Echo or an Upkeep ability, or if there is a card that induces an Upkeep cost, then you do not need to pay to have that creature attack. Cards like Ghostly Prison can be played by opponents to force you to pay to attack.

An activated ability only requires the creature to tap if tapping is included in the costs of the ability, see Llanowar Elves. Abilities like those on a creature such as Essence Depleter may be used as many times as you have the mana to pay for, and as long as tapping is not part of the cost, even if it has summoning sickness.
>>
File: image.jpg (71 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
71 KB, 312x445
>>46312595
Here's a pic.
>>
>>46312595
>>46312601
Thank you for your quick replies! It's just been confusing me for a while because I'm the one responsible for interpreting the rules out of us.

One last question is that Wall Of Resurgence (I think) says that I can add +1/+1 to three of my lands of choosing and give them a 0/0 power/toughness scale. My question is that if these lands are used to defend and then killed, are they then reverted back into the Land Mana pool status, or are they placed in the discard pile?
>>
>>46312936
These creatures are both lands and creatures. In fact, even when they are creatures, you can still tap them to add mana (if they could originally).

But as with everything, it will go to the graveyard if destroyed or dealt enough damage unless they say otherwise.
>>
>>46275027
Did they change the mulligan rule for Commander?
>>
>>46282574
You discard after you mill anyways as it is in order.
>>
>>46313188
Yup. Check the website. No more partials. One free though.

http://mtgcommander.net/rules.php
>>
>>46291802
As the rules stand, you cannot pay the cost if there are no counters to be removed. So, the answer is no. You cannot activate it with no counters on him.
>>
>>46313119
Thanks again! I always thought it was a bad gamble as I always get the Wall early game where I need the mana.

This one isn't really a rule question so much as a convienience one, but, I keep needing more eldrazi Scion token cards. Is there any way that I can get more of these cards? Or should I just buy packets until I get some?
>>
>>46313271
I am pretty sure you can. The same way Null Brooch can be activated even if you don't have a hand. All cards that remove all counters refer to the number of them.

I mean, clearly that wasn't the intention, but I see nothing wrong with paying the cost. It is like tapping Essence Bottle.
>>
>>46291802
Late response, but yes, you can activate abilities with a cost of "Remove all ____ counters" even if you have no counters.

The common EDH interaction is Vish Kal, Blood Arbiter and Horobi, Death's Wail, which is effectively an instant-speed Plague Wind.
>>
>>46313227
Then does scry 1 still apply if you start with less than 7?
>>
>>46313273
Tokens do not need to be represented by token cards. The game instructions allow you to use anything as a token, as long as it isn't super confusing. Many players use dice or coins or something.

Token cards are convinient as they allow you to easily see if the creature is tapped or untapped. Personally, I like using a normal token card alongside those advertising cards they out in packs for the extra guys.

But you could honesty use anything. I've seen players use decks of regular playing cards.

I recommend against using upside down MtG cards (with the magic back) for tokens, as face down creatures do exist in MtG. But other than that, sky's the limit.

You can order token cards online. They are usually pretty cheap. But don't feel compelled to.
>>
>>46313468
The scry one applies to all formats, pretty sure. But yeah, only if you go below your initial starting handsize. No taking a freebie and then scrying.
>>
>>46313227
This is dumb. No way is the same mulligan rule for a 100 card singleton deck fair for a 60 card natural deck.

Wizards needs to change this shit back and just ban cards that take advantage of this rule.
>>
>>46313603
That's why you always get a free one, even in 1v1. Personally, I feel that with the new scry rule, it is perfectly fine.

I love anything that might convince EDH players to actually bother with a curve other than "early ramp + CMC>5".

I run more lands now, because I can't do the dumb shit where I partial away literally every card that isn't ramp or a land.
>>
>>46313468
Yup.

As an addition to >>46313489 , "super confusing" is "if asked, can you give the details of a creature on your board." Depending on your level of play, this can mean somewhere between "What is this creature's power and toughness" to "Where did this creature come from, and have you cast spells targeting it?"

At all levels of play, the following is "free information," that it's against the rules to lie about or withhold. Well, you can technically withhold, but a Judge will come over and ask you to provide it.
• Details of current game actions and past game actions that still affect the game state.
• The name of any object in a public zone.
• The physical status (tapped/flipped) and current zone of any object.
• Player life totals, poison counter totals, and the game score of the current match.
• The current step and/or phase and which player(s) are active.

At more casual levels of play (so-called "Regular REL"), like you might find at a Friday Night Magic event, all "derived information" is considered to be free information. This includes:
• The number of any type of objects present in any game zone.
• All characteristics of objects in public zones that are not defined as free information
• Game Rules, Tournament Policy, Oracle content and any other official information pertaining to the current tournament. Cards are considered to have their Oracle text printed on them.

>>46313603
Aggressive Partial Paris mulliganing made fast combo decks even faster, because they could run a miniscule amount of lands and hit the three they needed to combo out. Also because Sheldon is a scrublord.
>>
File: 128a.jpg (74 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
128a.jpg
74 KB, 312x445
>>46309639
>Master of Predicaments and Fire // Ice
Let's use other example (since fire and ice are both cmc 2 and 2).
Flesh / Blood
The answer is the cmc of Flesh / Blood is both 2 and 5. If you choose it for Master, well i'm sorry to say that whatever your opponent guessed both answer is right.

>>46310355
>If I pay the Bestow cost of Nyxborn Rollicker to I enchant a creature, will I need to bounce a land to my hand?
Nope, you're casting an aura card and it entered the battlefield as an aura enchantment.

>What about when the enchanted creature dies and Nyxborn Rollicker falls off and is "put" into play as a creature?
Nope, you didn't put it into the field. It's already there.
>>
>>46312936
The wall adds 3 +1/+1s to one land, which is generally much better than what you wrote.
>>
>>46313813
So, Fire // Ice is never 4 when it comes to Master, then? But it is when it comes to Dark Tutelage, right?

Anyway, so Surge and Flashback are two alt costs, so fuck me, right? Same with Prowl, I imagine.

But what about additional costs like kicker? Into the Roil off of a Eye of the Storm.
>>
>>46314692
1. yeah
2. yeah
3. you can, but the kicker cost is not free.
>>
>tfw judge
>tfw Innistrad prerelease next weekend
>tfw hyped

How can I hype my players even more?
>>
>>46314883
Thanks. Anyway, Sundial of the Infinite.

For something that says "at the beginning of the next end step", if I use Sundial before my end step, it will happen at my opponent's end step, correct? What about if I do it during my end step with the trigger on the stack?

Until end of turn effects still decay, clean up stuff still happens.

What about effects like Geist of Saint Traft or Myriad? Do I have to wait until my End of Combat step? Could I do it before damage and still keep the tokens forever?
>>
On cards that require me to name a card, do I have to say out the full exact name if it's clear what card I'm talking about? For example, if I cast infinite obliteration in a standard game, and just say "Ulamog", can my opponent go "HA HA I don't have any cards named just 'Ulamog' in my deck."
>>
>>46315913
You have to uniquely identify the card, taking into account the cards legal in the format you're playing. Naming "Ulamog" is fine in Standard but not in Modern. Remember "Borborygmos"? It's like that. Naming it "that big ten mana Eldrazi guy who eats two permanents" is fine, too.
>>
>>46315178
The trick to Sundial of the Infinite and "Sacrifice it at the beginning of the next End Step" is to Sundial when the trigger is on the stack. As it's already happened (the next end step happened!) it won't attempt to sac the angel again.

If you do it, say, during your 2nd Main, you skip the End Step, sure, but the next end step the angel token is looking for will happen during your opponent's turn (unless they Sundial too).

>>46315913
You have to name a card that's legal in the format. However, you can uniquely identify a card that's legal in the format, and a Judge is allowed to provide the name of that card. That can include "That legendary Eldrazi that exiles two when you cast it" and he'll give you "Ulamog, the Ceaseless Hunger."
>>
>>46315178
What card specifically? That thing sometimes work differently with slightly different rules text.

With Geist, you have to do it after the damage. The explanation is, it shits out a normal standard 4/4 angel token, the delayed exile trigger is part of Geist's ability that shits out the token in the first place. When the ability triggers at the end of combat, you wipe it clean with Sundial and it won't trigger anymore since it's done already.
>>
File: living wish.jpg (63 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
living wish.jpg
63 KB, 312x445
>>46275027
Can I use a wish card in EDH, or does that make my deck illegal as it becomes 101 cards? If I can, can I get a card whose color identity differs from that of my commander?
>>
>>46318567
In tournaments you can only get cards from your sideboard.
In casual games do whatever you find reasonable and what your group is fine with.
>>
>>46318567
In tournaments, Wish cards can only be used if the Sideboard variant is used.

You can only have 10 cards in an EDH sideboard, and none of them can be duplicates, nor can they be outside of your general's color identity.
>>
If a double strike creature is equipped with jitte, can I use the charge counters from the first strike damage for the second strike?
>>
>>46319223
yes you can
>>
>>46319223
Yes. You get priority right after damage has been dealt in the combat damage phase - in each one of them.
>>
Does Pithing Needle stop the activated ability of Lightning Storm? Common sense indicates it does, but a guy at my FLGS swears up and down that a level 4 judge at an event he went to in Chicago says it does not.
>>
>>46319416
>Does Lightning Storm have an activated ability?
Yes.
>Is it a card?
Yup.
>Does Pithing Needle stop the activated ability from being activated?
Definitely.

The guy you're citing is full of shit. Ask him to name the judge in question. It's not like you can't ask him on Facebook or anything.
>>
>>46318468
These are the cards in question:

Mistmeadow Witch
Brackwater Elemental
Flickerwisp
Glimmerpoint Stag
Fatestitcher
Herald of the Host (and all other Myriad cards)
Gemini Engine
Seance
Aethermage's Touch

All these with Sundial.
>>
>>46319538
>702.115a Myriad is a triggered ability that may also create a delayed triggered ability. "Myriad" means "Whenever this creature attacks, for each opponent other than defending player, you may put a token that's a copy of this creature onto the battlefield tapped and attacking that player or a planeswalker he or she controls. If you put one or more tokens onto the battlefield this way, exile the tokens at end of combat."

You get to keep the tokens when you activate Sundial in the end of combat step. They have the Myriad ability as well, ready for your next combat. Have fun. :^)
>>
>>46319597
Cool. That's what I was hoping. The little program I use to playtest unfortunately exiles all tokens during my opponent's next end of combat step if I ever don't end my turn during my end of combat. I am pretty sure that's wrong.
>>
>>46319538
All of them work unless
>Aethermage's Touch
For this one, yes you can use Sundial to prevent the creature to return to your hand but since the ability is on the card it will keep triggering at your every end step instead of just once.
>>
>>46319643
If you end your turn during the combat damage step or before that, the game exiles the tokens at the end of the next end-of-combat step. The delayed trigger only stops to trigger once it has triggered during the next end of combat step that rolls around.
>>
>>46319730
Right. But if I exile the delayed trigger once, that should be enough, correct? Nothing'll keep triggering the fucker, right?

>>46319644
Right. That makes sense. Gotcha.

Anyway, here's another Volcanic Vision and split cards. Is it like Cascade or like Baneful Omen or what?
>>
Also, what >>46319644 said. It makes a difference whether the source is the card that made the tokens or if it's on the tokens itself. For example there are even tokens with "At the end of your turn, sacrifice [this]." and "At the beginning of the next end step, sacrifice [this]." The first one will trigger every time the event in question rolls around while the second one will only trigger once.
>>
>>46319784
the cmc will be the sum of both
Thread replies: 131
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.