[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Quest Beyond the Gate: Chapter 5
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 3
>Thread Archive: suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Beyond%20the%20Gate
>QM Twitter: twitter.com/SmileytheQM

"Whuzzgoinon?" Emi asks, having been shaken awake by Ilica.
"Something bad" Ilica says. "Wake up so we can get up"

You hear Derrick grunt as he opens his eyes and tries to sit up. Unfortunately, Ilica is on top of him in this pile. "What's happening?" He asks, still obviously groggy.

"Warning bells, explosions" Ilica says. "Emigetupbeforethingsgetworse"
"Okay, jeez" Emi whines.

No sooner is Emi's tail loose than Ilica is on her feet. Derrick is second to be up, followed by Emi herself.

You take a bit longer, having been burdened with the children. It takes a second to get them off of you without waking them.

"Any idea what's going on out there?" Derrick asks.
"No, all we've heard is the bells and what sounded like an explosion" Ilica says.
Derrick closes his eyes and thinks, opening them after a few seconds. "First off, we need to find out what's going on ou-"

As he's finishing his sentence, another explosion sounds off outside. The room goes absolutely silent, until Ilica hisses and takes cover behind the bed just before a piece of rubble crashes through the outside wall.

You instinctively shield Fran's daughters, but thankfully someone else has a better instinctive shield than you do.

Emi rears up and holds her arms out. Her arms glow a faint blue as a chunk of ice clashes with the rubble, stopping it in its tracks. She then flops down onto the bed, as the room goes quiet again.

>Make sure everyone is alright

>Look out the hole to see what's going on

>Ask Derrick what to do

>Other
>>
>>46269451
>>
>>46269451
>>
>>46269451
>>Make sure everyone is alright
>>Look out the hole to see what's going on
>>Ask Derrick what to do
>>
>>46269451
>Make sure everyone is alright
Then
>Look out the hole
Then
>Ask Derrick what to do

Seems like logical steps, in this scenario
>>
>>Look out the hole to see what's going on
>>Make sure everyone is alright
>>
>writing
>>
"Emi, are you okay?" You ask. Even if it was onto the soft bed, she still fell over pretty hard.
"I'm fine" She says, holding up a hand to wave you off. "Ice magic takes a lot out of me, but water wouldn't have cut it there"

"Well, it certainly saved our butts there" Ilica says, as she crawls back onto the bed to look after Emi. "Even I didn't hear that until it was too late"

Now that you know Emi is alright, you turn to the little ones under you. "How about you two?" You ask.
"W-we're okay" Lily says, as she hugs her sister close. "What's going on?"
You shrug. "I'll go check" You lock eyes with Derrick, who is catching his breath, and tip your chin down to the kids.

He seems to get your point, as he goes over to them as you head for the hole in the wall. You have to step up onto the fused chunk of rubble and ice to get to it, but from on top of them you get a good view of Sherton.

The first thing you notice is that the tower closest to the inn is gone. All around where it was, the buildings are damaged. The piece that you're standing on must have come from there.

The second thing you notice is that there is smoke coming from a few spots. The wind is blowing it away, so it's hard to see where exactly it's coming from.

The third thing you notice are the people in the street. They're pretty far from here, but even at this distance their eyes stick out like a sore thumb. They seem to be fighting with some shiny guys, and winning.

With your attention focused outward, you don't hear Emi slither up beside you. So it catches you completely off guard when she asks "What do you see?"

>[1/2]
>>
>>46270030
WHAT DO YOUR ELVEN EYES SEE?
>>
"One of the towers is gone" You say.
"What? What happened to it?" Derrick asks.

You look down at the chunk of building that you're standing on, and then back at Derrick. "It flew away" You say.
"I think he means it exploded" Emi says.
"And then the pieces flew away" You say.

Derrick nods. "Anything else?" He asks.
"I see smoke" You say. "And there's guys out in the street"
"See anything about them?" Emi asks.
You turn to Emi. "They have eyes" You say.

"So... they're normal people?" Ilica asks.
You shake your head. "Their eyes stood out" You say. "Like they were important"
"Demons?" Derrick asks. "What colour were they?"

You look back out at the people. The shiny guys are gone now. "Purple... Red... Green..."
"Demons" Derrick says. "We're under attack"
"What do we do?" You ask.

"We should leave" Ilica says. "If this place is gonna burn down, I ain't burnin' down with it"
Derrick bites his lip. "If we aid in the defense, we might be able to turn the tides" He says.

"We've got kids here, Derrick. We need to get as far away from this fight as we can" Ilica says.
"And there are innocent people, innocent children, in this town as well" Derrick replies. "I can't abandon them all in good conscience"

You look back out the hole, then back in at the room. No matter what we do there'll still be danger, but still-

>You want to fight

>You need to run

>Other
>>
>>46270204
>>Other
Derrick and Yuu fight, Emi and IIica run with the kids. We meet up in the nearest town. If we're there in the next two days, they take the kids to their parents.
>>
>>46270204
>You want to fight
>>
>>46270259
*If we're not there in the next two days, they take the kids to their parents.

God, I need to proof read.
>>
>>46270204
split the party, half of us stay and fight and at least buy time for the other half with the kids to escape the city. We can pick somewhere to meet up later.
>>
>writing
>>
"We can do both" You say. "Derrick and I stay and fight, Ilica and Emi take the girls and run"

"Nuh-uh" Ilica says. "If we're running, you're coming with us"
"I can fight" You say.
"You'll get yourself killed if you try to do it with that energy waster you call a weapon" Ilica says.
"I'll be fine" You say.

Ilica puts her hand over her face. You still need to ask why people keep doing that.

"If Yuu wants to fight, I think we should give him a chance" Emi says.
"If it goes anything like the fight with the Carracore, he'll be minced" Ilica says.
"I'll be fine" You say.
"Stop saying that" Ilica says.

"Alright" Derrick says. "Yuu and I will stay and aid in the defense of the town. But if things get hairy, we'll get out"
Ilica sighs. "F-fine" She says. "We'll be at the east exit, around where you were waiting for us earlier"
"Got it" Derrick says, as he picks up his sword. "Good luck"
"Keep your luck, you'll need it more than us" Ilica says.

Derrick chuckles. "Yeah, I guess that's true" He says. "You ready?"
You shrug.

"Good. Let's go" He says.

>[1/2]
>>
>>46270588
Stop being Tsun, IIica.
>>
The 6 of you leave out the door and head out the front. At the front door, Ilica and Emi hug both you and Derrick, then they take the kids and go to the exit.

"Where to now?" You ask.
"If I remember right, the guard's barracks was... over this way" He says. "When the town bell started ringing, any combat capable men and women will have headed there"

"The demons looked combat capable" You say. "Think they might be there too?"
"Let's hope not" He says. "Come on!"

Derrick starts running, and you follow behind. For some reason, you feel kind of good... like you're more alive. The blood rushes through you, instead of just flowing.

You have to purposely run slower so you don't pass Derrick, since he's the one who knows where to go.

"There it is!" He says, pointing to a building up ahead. "Shit"

Fighting seems to have broken out around the barracks.

"Let's go, Yuu. We'll break through from behind and link up with the town's militia" Derrick says. He holds his sword behind him, and it catches fire.

You speed up.

>Roll 1d100
>Best of 3, high roll wins
>>
File: WRRYYYYY.png (16 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
WRRYYYYY.png
16 KB, 259x194
Rolled 40 (1d100)

>>46270782
>>
Rolled 63 (1d100)

>>46270782
>>
Rolled 73 (1d100)

>>46270782
time to see if we can fight
>>
Rolled 90 (1d100)

>>46270782
Can we eat demons?
Will they be tasty?
Will they give us power like the Chaos Engine?
>>
>writing
>>
You pull the mageblade out of your pocket and click the button to open the guard.

You cover the crystal with your left hand, and focus on building up some energy. Once you feel like there's enough, you swing the blade. It's tighter this time, and you focus on keeping it that way.

The demons at the back of the group seem to sense your approach, and turn to face you.

You and Derrick both come up on them at once, but it's 3v2. The demon in front of you panics and swipes you with his sword.

As his swipe moves to your head, you see the ways you can get through. The ways you can fail, the ways you can succeed.

You duck down and lean to the side. As his sword passes over your head, your own comes up to strike his. Unfortunately, focusing on keeping the blade tight means not keeping it sharp. But this one is still out of this fight.

To your right, Derrick clashes his sword against the axe of the demon in front of him. They free their weapons and prepare to swing in again, but Derrick takes a deep breath in, and then breathes it out as fire.

The demon catches fire, and runs away while trying to put it out.

Then the two of you both put a foot into the face of the third. Which reminds you that you should see if you can't get those foot covers that Derrick wears.

Those are probably called something...

It doesn't matter now. Now you have to help these guys out.

>[1/2]
>>
After you and Derrick break through to the people fighting, you work on widening the gap you've made.

As fighters on the front are freed up, they start to work with you. It's not an easy fight by any means, but after what feels like a long time the few remaining demons either run or get captured.

When the fighting is over, both you and Derrick are out of breath. You decide to turn off your mageblade and put it away to save energy.

"Nice job there, Yuu" Derrick says.
"I didn't know you could breathe fire" You say.
Derrick smiles and scratches his head. "My mother was a dragon. Fire breath is something everyone with the dragon's blood can do" He says.
"Neat" You say.

"Well fought, you two" A gruff, loud voice calls out.

You turn to see a very tall, very well built man. He has darker skin than you or Derrick, but not by much. His brown hair is tied back into a short ponytail, and he has a fairly large sword slung over his shoulder.

"You as well" Derrick says.
The man laughs. "Name's Meyu" He says. "Didn't think I'd see any kids here"
"We were just passing through town" Derrick says.
"So were we" Meyu says. "The rest of my crew went to defend the mana generator"

"They're attacking there?" Derrick asks.
"Dunno. But if their goal is to raze the town then the generator is where they would go" He says.
"Then we should join them" Derrick says. "Come on, Yuu"

>Okay

>No

>Other
>>
>>46271503
>No
>>
>>46271503
>>Other
are you sure that's a good idea, I thought you said I didn't do well around those things.
>>
>>46271503
>No
>>
>>46271503
>>Okay

Come on guys who cares - it'll be a learning experience.
>>
>>46271503
>Okay
We must endure suffering in order gain strength.
>>
>writing
>>
You pull on Derrick's sleeve, and shake your head.

"Ah... right" He says. "Sorry, I got a little caught up in the moment"
"Something wrong?" Meyu asks.
"It's nothing, just... uhh... my friend and I will have to keep helping out here"

He looks you both over, and then shrugs. "Well, keep yourselves safe" He says.
"You too" Derrick says.
"I hope your friends are okay" You say.
"Those guys? They're too stubborn to die" He says.

Meyu walks back to the rest of the fighters, and calls out for anyone willing to defend the mana engine to follow him. Then he takes the small group that gathers, and leads them off.

"Again, Yuu. Sorry about that" He says.
You shrug. "Don't worry"
"So... where do we go now" He says. "If we can't go to the engine, we could try to link up with another group"

"Hey" One of the shiny guys says. "If you two are looking for somewhere to be, I just got word that a group of imperial knights has engaged another Legion crew by the Dalos tower, and there's another crew going after the east residential area"

"Those must be the knights we saw going in earlier, if we could free them up from guarding the tower..." Derrick says. "But the second part is bad news. The residential area is defenseless"

"Let's-

>Go help the knights

>Go help the people

>Other
>>
>>46271960
>Go help the people
>>
>>46271960
>>Go help the people
because don't the knights hate anyone who shows any demonic signs? I'd rather not get caught between some holier then thou knights and insane demons.
>>
>>46271960
>Go help the people
>>
>>46271960
>Go help the people
>>
>writing
>>
-go help the people" You say. "Knights can help themselves. Everyone else can't"
"Yeah. As much as I'd like to free up those knights to fight elsewhere, sacrificing the citizens to do so... let's go" Derrick says.

A weird looking winged thing flies up to the shiny guy's ear and tells him something. "There some defenders on their way over there right now, but you're much closer. If you can keep any demons you find busy until they arrive then you should be in the clear. I'll see if anyone else here is well enough to join you, and send them ahead as well"

You and Derrick both nod, and then leave.

Once again, you follow Derrick's lead.

"You seem to have gotten the hang of that weapon" Derrick calls out as you run. "Were you practicing while we were asleep or something?"
"Not that I know of" You say. "I just figured that doing things differently would make the blade better"
Derrick chuckles. "Well, it certainly was an improvement" He says.
"I couldn't get it to be sharp though" You say.
"That's alright. It works as it is now" He says. "I'd rather you keep using it as a bludgeon, than have you overextend your focus and lose the blade entirely"
"Kay" You say.

"Alright, we'll be coming up on it in a second" Derrick says. "It's just around here"

The two of you round the corner, and you're met with a sorry sight.

People are being dragged out of their homes by demons. The houses are being burnt, but they're only gathering the people...

>[1/2]
>>
Rolled 66 (1d100)

It's good that you only have to keep these guys busy. You don't think you could take them on with just the two of you.

You pull out the mageblade again, and turn it on the same way you did before. The blade feels thinner than it did before, but it still looks useable.

"We'll grab their attention by hitting a few of them, and then pull back. Okay?" He asks.
You nod, and pick your first target.

You don't feel quite as good as you did before, but it doesn't seem to slow you down. You and Derrick both jump up and bring your blades down on the same demon. His sword sinks in, while yours just hits.

You search the rest of them as they all turn to face you. There are about 20 of them, but only one of them has red eyes.

The red eye points at the two of you, and about 10 of the demons starts to move in on you.

"We have the blood we need. Kill those two, and start the slaughter" The red eye says.

"Shit" Derrick says. "They're not all biting"

>Roll 1d100
>High roll still, with a new modifier.

>FOCUS
>For this post, I will also roll a dice. Even if you roll low, if someone's roll is close enough to mine it will be considered a success. In game, a 'focus' success and a normal success will cause different things to happen
>You still only roll 1d100
>>
Rolled 28 (1d100)

>>46272608
I don't think we can rip and tear with the sword, but try anyway dammit
>>
Rolled 94 (1d100)

>>46272608
so just roll
>>
Rolled 85 (1d100)

>>46272608
>>
Rolled 7 (1d100)

>>46272608
>>
Rolled 81 (1d100)

>>46272608
>>
File: fc,550x550,silver.u2.jpg (31 KB, 550x550) Image search: [Google]
fc,550x550,silver.u2.jpg
31 KB, 550x550
>>46272628
>>
>roll success, focus fail
>To get a focus success, your roll has to be 5 or less away from my roll. So a focus success here would have been 61-71

>writing
>>
>>46272688
so is a crit success better then a focus or are they about the same?
>>
>>46272743
Different things happen. If/when a focus success happens, you'll see.
>>
>>46272688
>>46272774
Isn't this a little similar to the focus rolls in Blood Moon, that you, eventually, scrapped?
>>
>>46272806
No. Those kind of sucked, because they made little to no difference. Just think of the focus roll as being more ways to succeed on a roll.
>>
Rolled 40 (1d100)

"Then we make them" You say. "Watch my 6"
"Your what?" Derrick asks.

You spot an opening in the demons that are advancing on you, and make a break for it. One of them tries to slow you down by turning the floor to ice, but it just makes it easier to slide through them.

On the other side, you keep running. You kick the legs out from a demon that tries to stop you, and continue on your path.

You think they've caught on to what you're trying to do, as the red eye raises an eyebrow in mild bemusement.

The path between you and him is clear, so you get in close, and- dodge a swift kick to the face. Then roll to the side as he stabs at you with his lance. Then, as you get back up, you lean back to avoid a punch aimed straight at your jaw.

"Oh?" He says. "This one's got some fight then"

He sweeps your legs with his lance, and you jump over it. But he stops beneath you and swings up, so you get your feet on the shaft and let him launch you. He steps back as you come down on him blade first, and then steps back again as you take another swing at him.

He counters with another thrust, which you jump to avoid. Once again landing with your feet on his spear, you put all your weight down to force the point into the ground, then snap your leg out to kick him in the face.

Your foot connects, but it doesn't seem to faze him. He grabs your leg and tosses you away like a ragdoll. You turn in the air and land on your feet, ready to keep up the assault.

The red eye smiles...

>Roll 1d100
>>
Rolled 83 (1d100)

>>46273154
>>
Rolled 35 (1d100)

>>46273154
>>
Rolled 34 (1d100)

>>46273154
>>
Rolled 75 (1d100)

>>46273154
>>
>>46273212
ah, sweet, that makes the focus roll I believe.
>>
>>46273212
>>46273263
Yup.
>Focus success. Roll success

>writing
>>
The red eye laughs. "This is embarassing" He says. "I, Carthac the Bloodthirsty, having this much trouble with a boy"

Close your eyes. Breathe in. Breathe out. Open your eyes.

You see it.

How you are now, you could never beat this guy. Fortunately, your goal has never been to beat him. The other demons seem to have stopped to watch this duel of yours, so all you have to do is survive.

And you see just how to do that.

"Then how embarassing will it be when I beat you" You say.
Carthac smiles. It's not a happy smile at all. He looks like a mad dog. "Getting ahead of yourself, huh?" He asks. "Let me show you why they call me bloodthirsty"

He levels his spear and charges. He's fast, but you're ready.

You spin to the side, and bring your knee into his gut. It's like kneeing a rock, and again it doesn't even seem to faze him.

He responds by throwing a punch at your gut, but once again you're ready. You get out of the way almost before the punch is even thrown.

He turns around and tries to hit your head with his spear. Again, too slow.

It's like he doesn't understand what's going on here. He won't hit you like this. It's not that he's too slow... it's like you're watching him in slow-motion.

But even though you can outpace him, none of your own attacks seem to do anything but leave you open. So you stay on the defensive.

>[1/2]
>>
"You're a slippery little shit, you know that?" He asks.

Carthac is running out of breath, and running out of patience. His attacks have become more rushed and wild. He's thrown defense to the wind, because he knows that your offense is bad.

"Do you know what this spear is called?" He asks. He points his spear at you. The tip of it has three prongs, which seem to move and writhe like they're alive. "Heartclaimer. Given to me by the black god"

"Sounds romantic" You say.

He chuckles and locks eyes with you, as he readies himself for another charge. "This has been fun, but the sacrifices must be made" He says.

He launches himself, and before you can react his spear is in your chest.

He rips it out, and in the prongs of heartclaimer... is your heart.

But that's wrong. You don't have a heart. What is this?

"YUU!" Derrick shouts. You turn to the sound of his voice, and the pain in your chest disappears.

Then Carthac's spear is in your chest.

"Unh..."

Carthac laughs. "Not so slippery now, are you?" He asks.
"There they are!" An unknown voice calls. "Hunters, attack!"

Hunters... they must be the fighters that came to help.

"Damn" Carthac says. "Retreat for now. We'll ha-"

He tries to pull his spear free, and you-

>Let him

>Grab hold

>Other
>>
>>46273867
>Grab hold
>>
>>46273867
>Grab hold
time to remember something it seems.
>>
>>46273867
>Grab hold

"So you were saying about sacrifices, well how's this one for size!"
>>
>>46273867
>Grab hold
>>
>>46273867
>Grab hold
>>
>>46273867
>Grab Hold

>If possible, take the weapon
>>
>writing
>>
Yuu just said 'romantic'. Does he recover faculties when he fights? Specifically demons?
>>
>>46274106
I doubt its specifically that (He has made similar statements outside of combat) but I could see the 'heat of the moment' being a factor.
>>
You grab the spear with both hands, and hold tight.

Carthac tries to pull it loose to no avail.

"Still alive?" He asks.
"I'm slippery, remember?" You ask.

He tries to yank his spear out again.

"Let go" He says.
"No" You say. "You let go"
"You wanna die, boy?" He asks.
"Not really" You say.

He tries to get it out one more time, before being letting go and running away. Just in time, as a fairly large arrow strikes where he was standing.

Once he's gone, Derrick runs over to you. "Yuu... you're insane. Are you alright?" He asks.
"This kinda hurts" You say.
"Come on, we need to find somewhere to hide. Before more people see you walking around with a spear in your chest" He says.

Doing your best to keep the spear hidden from the eyes of the people behind you, you and Derrick make your way into and through one of the unburnt houses.

>[1/2]
>>
>>46274303
We have a spear now, neat. Let's go find more weapons to collect
>>
Behind the house, you sit down. "C-can we get this out... it really hurts" You say.
"I know that, but what if it makes things worse?" Derrick asks.

You look down at the length of the spear sticking out of your chest. The whole thing didn't go in, so only the 3 prongs are lodged. The way they're pointed almost matches the scar on your chest.

Derrick groans and ruffles his hair in frustration. "If Emi was here, she'd know what to do" He says.
"Can we find her?" You ask.
"She'd be outside the town by now... if they haven't closed the gates" Derrick says.
"We can't go outside?" You ask.
"Not with that thing sticking out of you" He says.

>So pull it out

>So we'll be sneaky

>Other
>>
>>46274439
>So pull it out
>>
>>46274439
>>So pull it out
Also tell Derrick about the prongs and your scar looking similar
>>
>>46274439
>>So pull it out
>>
>>46274439
>Can you cut the obvious part off?

The spear is sticking out of him, yeah? Just break off most of it.
>>
>>46274524
>wanting to cut a weapon that tears out hearts and has some association by someone named "the black god"

Anon, it's almost like you don't want to have fun.
>>
>>46274439
Try >>46274524 first. If it fails, pull it out.
>>
>>46274524
It's a trophy of our "victory", don't break it. Even better, imagine his face when we kill him with it
>>
>writing
>>
"Can you break it?" You ask.
"I can try... that might make it easier to walk around with" He says.

Derrick gets his hands on the haft, and tries his best to snap it without disturbing your wound too much.

He grunts as he puts more force into it, but eventually he gives up. "No use. I can't even bend it" He says.
"Well, I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet" You say.

Derrick looks confused. "Bullet...?" He asks. "Anyway, brace yourself"

He grabs the haft again, and you grit your teeth. He yanks it out as quickly as he can.

"Ow" You say.

Derrick takes a breath, and then tosses the spear aside to look at your wound.

"It doesn't look like it's bleeding too badly. But I've heard that wounds like this on a Demon never do..." He says. "Can you breathe alright?"
"Yeah" You say.
"Alright... I think we can pass this off as just some surface scratches, until we can meet up with Emi" He says. "I don't think we want any other healer looking too closely at your chest"
You nod. "Should we go find her now?" You ask.

"Like I said, it doesn't look that bad. If we keep going it shouldn't... hinder you..." He says, slowly trailing off as something grabs his attention.
"What's wrong?" You ask.
"The mana generator's stopped" He says.
"Is that bad?" You ask. You seem to be getting less of that 'thin air' feeling now.
"Maybe... it means that the lights are about to go out" He says. "The town's defensive barrier against monsters will probably go down too..."

"Then we should-

>Look for Emi/Ilica

>Check out the generator

>Go talk with the hunters that helped you out

>Other
>>
>>46274894
>Check out the generator
>>
>>46274894
>Check out the generator
we can leave once the town isn't about to burn to the ground.
>>
>>46274894
>>Check out the generator
grab the spear as well.
I fucking want that damn spear.
>>
>>46274894
>Check out the generator

Take the spear and claim some hearts
>>
>writing
>>
>>46273867
>Grab hold
>>
"Let's go see the generator" You say.
"You sure?" Derrick asks.
"Yeah, I'm fine" You say.
"Alright... the generator will be at the center of town" He says. "This way"

He helps you to your feet, and after picking up the spear the two of you head towards generator.

"Are you really keeping that?" He asks.
"Yes" You say.

You hold up the lance and look at the tip. Now that you really look at them, the prongs look less like metal and more like bone. And they're definitely moving around...

"What's the black god?" You ask.
"I dunno. I've never heard that name before" Derrick says. "Maybe he's some kind of maniacal weaponsmith?"

The prongs writhe with more energy. Maybe they're... reacting?

"It is a strange weapon... I don't think I've ever seen anything like it" He says. "Maybe we could get someone who knows about this kind of thing to take a look at it"
"Like stunk?" You ask.
"Stoencht?" Derrick says. "Perhaps. The name is familiar to me... and if I'm right about who he is, then he may have the answers we need"
"What is he?" You ask.
"He's a historian of sorts... though some people might call him a madman" He says.
"Sounds fun" You say.

"That... depends on your definition" He says.

>[1/2]
>>
By the time you reach the entrance to the mana generator, Derrick is out of breath. You seem to be fine, though.

"How are you not tired?" Derrick asks.
You shrug.
"I guess a demon's got one less muscle to move..." He says. "Take a peek inside. Tell me what you see"

You crack open the door and look in.

You see that Mayo guy from before, and a bunch of other dudes and dudettes. There are a bunch of things hooked up to a big blue crystal in the middle of the room.

It looks like... machines? Maybe that's the word.

Either way. Half the machines are destroyed. It looks like some of the people are trying to fix it.

You relay this info to Derrick.

"So they managed to beat the Legion, but not before they could wreck the generator..." He says. "We should give them a hand"

>Go inside

>Go find Ilica/Emi and get your chest fixed

>Other
>>
>>46275655
>Other
ask if he actually thinks you could help

if he says yes then we can try and help if not then we'll head back towards the girls and see if they're doing ok.
>>
>>46275655
>Other
Tell him we probably will only make things worse, and maybe we should split up here.
>>
>>46275655
I don't think starting the generator while we're near it is a good idea. He can stay if he thinks he can help.
>>
>>46275655
>>Go find Ilica/Emi and get your chest fixed
>>
>>46275655
>>
>writing
>>
"Can we really help out here?" You ask.
"Well... I know my way around a generator" He says. "I used to help maintain the one in Leon sometimes... compared to that, this one is tiny"

"I... don't think I'll be much help" You say.
"Oh, right" He says. "And when it's on... what should we do then?"

"You can stay and help" You say. "I'll go find Emi. My chest hurts still"
"Alright... are you sure you can find them on your own?" He asks.
"Probably" You say.

He sighs. "That doesn't fill me with confidence" He turns you to the right. "Keep walking that way, until you hit the gate. If it isn't closed, then Emi and Ilica should be outside"
"Alright" You say.

"Once I'm done here, I'll follow along" He says. "See you then"
"See you" You say.

You walk away in the direction he pointed you in.

You just have to keep walking this way... that's not so hard.

You walk until you reach a fork in the road. There's a block of buildings in your way...

"Uh-oh..." You say.

>Roll 1d100
>No focus roll this time. Those will only be for combat situations
>>
Rolled 48 (1d100)

>>46276092
its not that hard Yuu, don't be such a fuckup
>>
Rolled 31 (1d100)

>>46276092
What if we go up the building?
He said this way.
Any other choice would be deviating from directions.
>>
Rolled 15 (1d100)

>>46276092
>>
Rolled 55 (1d100)

>>46276092
>>
>>46276118
>>46276132
>>46276141
oh dear
>>
>writing
>>
Maybe if you go this way, and then you can turn back into the-

Oh... no. The street goes this way. Well, you can still find another path going back to where you came from...

Hold on, did the street you were just on have a curve to it? You could've sworn you were going the right way...

Alright. You can just backtrack and see if- did you pass this building? None of this looks familiar...

You sigh.
You're lost.

You decide to sit down on a stairway and think.
Think...
Could you just pick a direction and walk in it?
Could yo-

"That's no good, little one" A man next to you says.

You jump at the sudden presence next to you, and slowly turn to see another person on the steps next to you. They definitely weren't here before... and you didn't hear anyone coming... so where did he come from?

"You shouldn't lose hope so easily" He says. The man has a kindly sort of look to him. His hair is brown, his skin is pale, and his eyes are yellow. He is dressed in black leather armor, with metal skulls on his knees and shoulders.

"But I'm lost" You say.
"Ah... I see" He says. "Lost along the many roads of life"
"No... just on the way to the east gate" You say.
"I was making a metaphor" He says. "But, if the east gate is your destination... I can tell you the way"
"You can?!" You ask.
"For a price..." He says.
You eye him cautiously. "What kind of price" You ask.
"I'm afraid I've gone and lost my own weapon, so I could use a new one" He says. "Tell you what. You give me that spear, and I'll tell you exactly how to get to your friends. Deal?"

>Deal

>No deal

>Other
>>
>>46276639
"I never said I was going to meet friends."
No deal.
>>
>>46276639
>No deal
>>
>>46276639
>kindly look
>yellow eyes like us
>intimidating clothing
>mentions friends that we never mentioned
He's shifty.
Maybe we should ask if he's like us.
Definitely decline the deal though
>>
>>46276639
>No deal

He has
>YELLOW
>EYES
>>
>>46276639

>No deal
>>
>>46276639
>I never said I was looking for my friends
>>
>>46276639
Your eyes are weird. I know so, everyone's told me the same thing.
>>
>>46276769
>>46276770
He's shift and scary.. so you want to piss him off?
>>
>>46276900
Giving him a heart stealing lance is not wise
>>
>writing
>>
>>46276920
Well what are we going to do with it? I'm like 90% sure we've already stolen Ilica's heart and Emi probably isn't far behind.
>>
>>46277080
Should we show her our new weapon?
And the lance, too?
>>
"No deal" You say.
"Whaaaaaaat?" He asks. "Why?"
"You're weird, and shifty" You say.
"That... is fair" He says.

The man stands up and dusts himself off.

"You're leaving?" You ask.
"Well, yes" He says. "I still need a weapon... I'll probably just raid the armory or something"

You look him over. "How did you know I was going to meet my friends?" You ask.
"Oh, that?" He asks. "Lucky guess"
"I don't believe you" You say.
He shrugs. "I'm okay with that" He says. "Anywa-"

"There you are!" Another voice calls. This time it's a woman. You turn to see a girl with blonde hair and the same yellow eyes in a full suit of shiny armor, standing just down the road. In one hand she has a shield, in the other she has a sword.
"I was wondering when you'd show up" The man says.
"You know the rules" The woman says. "You're no-"
"This is how the story goes, my dear" The man says, before turning to you. "See what I have to put up with?"

"Doesn't seem so bad" You say.
"She's a nightmare" He says with a dramatic flourish. "You sure you don't want to give me that spear?"
"Don't you give him that spear!" The woman says.
"You would really attack an unarmed man?" The man asks.
"If it were anyone else, no" She says.

"See? No mercy" He says. "So how 'bout it?"

>My spear!

>I guess I could...

>Other
>>
>>46277135
"What are you? I need to know before I make a decision."
>>
>>46277135
>My spear!
>Also my eyes!

I've got a cunning plan...

>Ask the woman if she's mean.
>>
>>46277135
>>My spear!
I got from battle myself.
>>
>>46277191
This.
>>
>>46277135
>My spear!
>>
>>46277135
Maybe we can offer the Mage blade instead? Ask if he could use thaT
>>
>>46277135
Wait wait wait, back the fuck up... what KIND of woman? Every girl is a monster.
>>
>My spear!

but also :
>>46277191
>>46277234
and if we side with the guy
>>46277271
>>
>>46277287
Good eye.

>writing
>>
>>46277271
Dude what the hell the mage blade is literally our blade.
>>
>>46277357
Not him but I'm sure we could find/make another one. We can't do the same with the spear.
>>
"My spear" You say.
"Not gonna help me out? Not even a little?" He asks.
"I don't even know who you are" You say.
"Isn't it obvious?" He asks.

"No" You say.
"N-no!?!" He says. "I... I don't believe it"

The man looks genuinely distraught that you don't know who he is. "Th... that's fine too... I guess" He says.

You look at him and blink a few times, then you turn to the woman. "Can you tell me how to get to the east gate?" You ask.
"Hey! Don't just ignore me!" The man shouts.

You turn back to him, then again to the woman.

"Oh, fine" He says. "I have better places to be anyway... like an armory! Ta ta!"

The man disappears with a whip of his cape, and the woman runs up to where he was.

"Damn..." She says. "I'll have to catch up with him"
"Why do you two have the same eyes?" You ask.
"Our eyes?" She asks. "Yours are the same too"
"They are?" You ask.
"You've never seen your eyes?" She asks. "Perhaps... no, best not"
"What's wrong?" You ask.
"It's nothing" She says. "Your-... our eyes are those of the Pure demon"
"Pure demon?" You ask.
"Yes" She says. "You'll do some great things. I can feel it"

"If I can get to the gate..." You say.
"Ah, the gate" She says. "I'll tell you how to get there. I'd show you the way, but I have to catch that man before he makes things worse"

>[1/2]
>>
>>46277702
>Literally O-Okay: The Demon

kek
>>
"Huh" You say, as you approach the east gate.

The woman ended up just giving you directions, and then leaving to chase that guy. She wouldn't answer any more of your questions, and she didn't want you to help.

So now here you are.

You look through the gate, and you can spot Emi and Ilica even through the darkness. So you go over to them.

"Yuu?" Ilica calls out. "Where's De-Oh my god what happened to you!"

Emi and Ilica both come out to see you.
"There was a guy with a spear" You say, as you hold up the spear. "This spear"
"Can you fix this?" Ilica asks.
"It doesn't look so bad" Emi says. "But where's Derrick?"
"Back at the generator" You say. "I couldn't help him there, so I came here"

"But the generator is in the center of town..." Ilica says. "Why did you come from the south?"
"I got lost" You say.
"You did?" Emi asks. "How'd you find your way here?"

>Pure skill

>There were these people...

>shrug

>Other
>>
>>46277975
>>
>>46277975
>shrug
>>
>>46277975
>>There were these people...
>>
>>46277975
>>There were these people...
Said something about a pure demon.
>>
>>46277975
>There were these people
>>
>>46277975
the mystery deepens
>>
>writing
>>
Emi lays her hands on your chest, and an orb of blue water covers your chest wound.

"There were these people" You say. "One of them knew I was lost, and he said he'd give me directions if I Gave him the spear"
"And you didn't take that deal?" Ilica says. "I would've. That thing is kinda gross..."

"My spear" You say. "Anyway, then this lady knight showed up. They talked for a while, and then the guy left"
"What did they say?" Ilica asks.
"Nothing important" You say. "But the lady said that I was a pure demon after the guy left"
"A... pure demon?" Emi asks. "I didn't know there was a term for someone like you"

"Oh yeah, and they were pure demons too" You say.
"They were?" Emi asks. "Any idea where they went?"
"The armory" You say.
"Why?" Ilica asks.
"Because I didn't give the guy my spear" You say. "He had to get a weapon"
"Why did he need a weapon?" Ilica asks.
"I think the blond lady was chasing him... or something" You say.

"That's... strange" Emi says.
"I'll say. You sre you didn't hallucinate them?" Ilica asks.
"Hull-you-sin-eight?" You ask. "What's that?"
"Uhh... nevermind" She says.

"There you go! All fixed up" Emi says.
"Thank you!" You say. "Now, I'll-

>Go see how things are going at the generator

>Look for the armory

>Stay here with you guys

>Other
>>
>>46278498
>Stay here with you guys
They were just fixing it, not fighting. And when it turns on thats gonna suck if we're right next to it.
>>
>>46278498
>>Stay here with you guys
Derrick should be back soon. Gives us time to practice with the spear. Just try not poke anyone with it.
>>
>Look for the armory

They seemed like fun people.
>>
>>46278498
>Stay here with you guys
>>
>>46278498
>Stay here

We could go check on the thing that could kill us, chase down people presumably more experienced in what abilities we have, or stay here.

I choose life.
>>
>>46278498
>Stay here with you guys
ask if they're ok... and where are the two little girls?
>>
>>46278498
>Stay here with you guys
>>
>writing
>>
-stay here with you guys" You say.
"You're not going back in?" Ilica asks.
"No" You say. "Derrick said he'd come meet up with me here once they'd repaired the mana thingie. Plus I'm really tired"

"Us too" Emi says. "Come on, we have a... sort of camp set up"
"By 'sort of camp' she means that we found some blankets" Ilica says. "It's no bed, but it's not the worst thing I've ever slept on"

"Cool" You say.

You follow Emi and Ilica out of the gate, and into the bushes where you first saw them.

As they said, there are a few blankets laid out on the floor. In the center of it, Lily and Daisy are fast asleep next to each other.

"Awwww" You say.
"Yeah, they're adorable" Emi says. "Find a spot and sit down"

Emi coils up on one side of the blanket, and Ilica sits next to her. So you sit down near the two of them.

>Ask about that Carthac guy

>Ask them about them

>Show them how good at mageblading you are now

>Other
>>
>>46279090
>>Ask them about them
>>
>>46279090
>Ask them about them
>>
>>46279090
>>Ask them about them
What's their story?
>>
>>46279090
>Ask them about them

Reaching hearts and minds!
>>
>>46279090
>Ask them about them
>>
>>46279090
>Ask them about them
>>
>writing
>>
"Where are you guys from?" You ask.

Ilica tilts her head. "Why do you wanna know that?" She asks.
You shrug. "Curious" You say.

Emi giggles. "Well, you already know that I'm from the islands to the south of here" She says.
"What's it like there?" You ask.
"Warm" She says. "The humid air makes the skin feel nice too... it's too cold and too dry here"

"So... why don't you go back?" You ask.
"Back... home?" She asks.
"Yeah" You say.
Emi uncoils and lays back. "Mmmm... lots of reasons" She says. "I'll go back some day... just not now"

She sounds... sad. You decide to leave that alone and turn to Ilica. "What about you?" You ask.
"I'm from-... nowhere" She says. "Nowhere important, at least"
"But where is that?" You ask.
"Doesn't matter" She says. "I think I'm gonna get some shuteye. Wake me if Derrick doesn't come back"

Ilica crawls away and curls up on the other side of the blanket, and Emi is clearly sad.

Did you do something wrong?

>[1/2]
>>
You decide to practice your mageblading, since neither Ilica or Emi seem to be in a talking mood anymore.

You're definitely able to tighten the blade up. But you have no idea how to actually make it sharp enough to cut. It's also a little unstable, but you aren't sure if that's because you're running low on energy, or because your focus isn't quite there.

You saw the lights turn back on in town a few minutes ago, so Derrick must have finished up at the generator. If he doesn't get lost like you did, then he should be here any second.

You think back to those strange people... they seemed strong. You wonder if you'll ever see them again.

"Here you guys are" Derrick says. You hear him walking through the bushes to get to the 'camp'.
"Hello" You say. "Mana thingie is working again?"
"Yeah, it took a little longer than I thought it would" He says. "I was going to help out the guard for a bit longer, but it sounds like the incursion is under control now. What's left of the Legion's forces are all either captured or on the run"

"That's good" You say.
"It's probably safe to go back into the city now... but I don't think the ladies would appreciate being woken again" He says, as he sits down with you. "It's no bed, but we're close enough to the city to fall within the barrier"

"Do we need to keep watch?" You ask.
"I don't think so" He says. "Between Ilica's ears, and your senses, I think we can sleep"
"Cool" You say. "Oh, did you see-"
"Can whatever you're about to say wait until morning?" He asks.
"I guess" You say.
"Good" He says. "I am... exhausted"
"Oh" You say. "Good... night?"
"Yeah, good night man"
>>
That's all for tonight!

Next thread will probably be tomorrow, at around the same time.

As always I'll be sticking around to take questions/suggestions.
>>
>>46280159
so we know that red eyes had red eyes and was a damn good fighter or at the very least just one tough son of a bitch. Is that what all the red eyed demons do, just really hard to put down. Also what color eyes did the mooks have?
>>
>>46280159
Great thread, Smiley!

So, important question: was that knight girl (aside from the eyes) an actual human?
>>
>>46280293
You didn't see anything non-human about her

>>46280214
The mooks were mostly green/purple eyed. Red eyed demons are a little bit rarer than the others.
And being really tough wasn't what was special about him. If you read through his bit carefully, you'll see what he did.
>>
>>46280214
I think it was mentioned that Red was all about fighting.
Thread replies: 160
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.