[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How important is it for a character's appearance to reflect
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 13
File: 1415582640293.jpg (53 KB, 448x792) Image search: [Google]
1415582640293.jpg
53 KB, 448x792
How important is it for a character's appearance to reflect their stats?

Would you accept something like a little girl with 20+ Strength or Constitution?
>>
>>46266253
Depends on your group sempai
>>
>>46266253
Stats are a combination of knowing how to use what you have, your actual physical capability, and so on.

I know how to safely lift something that's 50lbs and carry it. Someone of my strength who would try that without experience and training would have their backs snap in half.
>>
>>46266253
If she's magical or has SF tech backing her up, then sure.
>>46266283
> I know how to safely lift something
Roll it up your back? I can lift and carry thing more than twice my weight that way, it doesn't really have much to do with strength.
>>
Honestly I love the cliche of a little girl with enormous strength, especially when there's no real explanation and you just have to guess why they're supernaturally powerful.
>>
>>46266283
>I know how to safely lift something that's 50lbs and carry it

That's not impressive guy.
>>
>>46266283
>I know how to safely lift something that's 50lbs and carry it. Someone of my strength who would try that without experience and training would have their backs snap in half.

I have been able to move 50+lbs since I was 9. That is not special, dude.
>>
File: SDX50.png (605 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
SDX50.png
605 KB, 700x700
>>46266283

You use the handle?
>>
>>46266253
Depnds on the tone of the campaign/setting and how extreme the disparity is.

Like, it wouldn't seem particuly suspension breaking if a character who'se described as being average build would still have higher than average strenght (the strenght score could represent not just the amount of muscle but also knowing how to use his strenght to best effect and pushing yourself to the limits of your abilities).
That's especially true for various fantasy races, whose physiology might not work exactly like humans. DnD elves for example are shorter and more lightly built than humans, yet have the same average strenght (except in 5th edition, where humans get +1 to Str while elves get none). Elves of the "wild elf" subrace actually get the same strenght bonus than half-orcs and are still described as having roughly similar physique than other elves (more muscled than the average elf, yes, but certainly not to the level of the average half-orc who tend to be swole as fuck).

However, having a dainty little girl who is strong enough to effortlessly lift a wagon above her head is going to be very out of place in all but the most fantastic/weird/silly campaigns, unless you have a good explanation (although given the typical fantasy RPG setting, "a wizard did it" usually qualifies as good enough explanation).
>>
>Str
Important
>Con
Kinda important
>Dex
Important
>Int
Not important
>Wis
Not important
>Cha
Important
>>
>>46268187
And what does Con look like? Or Cha for that matter...
>>
>>46268317
burlyness and not being fugly...duh?
>>
>>46268317
Not this.
>>
>>46266283
O_o that's less than the weigth of a bag of concrete ....
>>
>>46268480
To be fair to anon, most workplace injuries involve just that, 50 lbs.

And a lot of people I'd see at the job site were doing stupid shit and hurting themselves when moving, name anything.
>>
Don't classes in D&D have minimum ages? The youngest being 16?
>>
>>46266283
>50lbs
Dude, dude, brah... DYEL?
>>
>>46268187
More importantly than >>46268317
What does DEX look like? Not being obese? Because anyone under 200lb can be dextrous if we get down to it. And characters over that who are not giants are kinda rare, I reckon.
>>
>>46268576
>DYEL?
YOLO! as in, you only lift once
>>
>>46268187
> INT and WIS
> not important
Here's a patrician right there. I fucking love "simple-looking intellectual" type.
>>
File: Age.jpg (27 KB, 323x222) Image search: [Google]
Age.jpg
27 KB, 323x222
>>46268564
15 if you're an half-orc.
Though, these are less "minimums" and rather just Random Starting Ages.
>>
>>46268187
Cha is supposed to reprsent both physical appearance, your actual charisma and a vaque "force of personality" (ie. why sorcerers use Cha as their casting stat to represent their innate ability to bend magic to their will).

Even a physically very unattractive character could have high charisma: Hitler was a short man with a really stupid-looking moustache, and he was still able to convince an entire nation that starting another world war when you've just gotten your asses kicked in the previous one (and also killing all the Jews while you're at it) was the best idea ever.
>>
>>46268564
There's rules for playing child characters (as well as elderly ones) in some book, but you can't start with class levels then. You have to initially take NPC class levels to represent you having to learn the class from scratch, before being able to convert them into levels of your chosen class once you've levelled up enough (can't remember what level that was exactly; I think it was 3rd or 5th).
There's a 3rd party book in PF that has a feat you can pick that removes that penalty, allowing you to make a child character who starts as level 1 PC class.
>>
File: churchill.jpg (283 KB, 1400x719) Image search: [Google]
churchill.jpg
283 KB, 1400x719
>>46268656
>Even a physically very unattractive character could have high charisma:

Why do people always say this, and then go into an extremely specific example of using charisma like polit-

>Hitler was a short man with a really stupid-looking moustache

Hitler was hardly ugly. Winston Churchill on the other hand? He clearly leans on the ugly side. But, do you know what both of these guys had in common? They were successful politicians, but were hardly well-liked on a personal level and more than one person has commented on how awful these people were to be around. They were both shrewd and calculating, and their political success was more of a matter of intelligence and fortune than charisma.

Overall, being a successful politician is just one of many facets of charisma, but even then Churchill's and Hitler's appearances played a part. Churchill looks like a son-of-a-bitch that you don't want to deal with, and Hitler had distinctly stern and impatient appearance, both of which were exactly what people were looking for in a politician at that time.
>>
>>46266283
Wow, are you even an adult male?
>>
File: THE STRONGEST MOOK.png (8 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
THE STRONGEST MOOK.png
8 KB, 500x500
>regular dude sized character has 36 strength (46 for determining carrying capacity)
R U L E S O F N A T U R E
>>
>>46268187
Charisma is not the same thing as attractiveness, for the last fucking time.
Your attractiveness is a combination of all your physical stats, only very slightly influenced by your charisma.
>>
>>46266253

I don't even know. Merlin has 15 strength, while your average fighter starts with around 17, so apparently having less than 12ish strength means you're abnormally weak. Still, I expect a little girl to be built like a body builder if she has that amount of strength on her, unless it's explictly caused by magical enhancements.
>>
>>46269041
> for the last fucking time.

No matter how many times you repeat it, it won't be true.

Remember, a lot of really attractive women (and men) have extremely low strength, constitution, and dexterity scores, so your idea is laughably wrong.

How attractive you are has an impact on your charisma. It's not the end-all-be-all, but it's certainly a facet, just like how long you might be able to run isn't the end-all-be-all of consitution, but it's still a facet.
>>
>>46266283
>50lbs
My backpack in high school was about 50 pounds. I carried that alongside a 10-20 pound bag full of music paraphernalia and a cello. It wasn't even hard.

If you're talking like lugging around a 50lb box with no handles for extended periods, then color me indifferent. That's a bitch to do, but not very impressive.
>>
>>46266253
Depends on the game. In the case of D&D, the super strong little girl is sharing screen time with dudes who can get hit point blank by a ballista and not even slow down, and it's just generally assumed that everything is fantasy and supernatural and it's cool.
>>
>>46268596
What kind of shitty weight lifter only lifts once?
>>
>>46268646
If you're below the "adult" threshold, you take stat penalties. I don't know them off hand, but I seem to remember the penalties for being a child to be pretty stiff on all six stats.
>>
File: sin-2[1].jpg_itok=6EK3Neqx.jpg (52 KB, 620x374) Image search: [Google]
sin-2[1].jpg_itok=6EK3Neqx.jpg
52 KB, 620x374
>>46268317
>And what does Con look like?
>>
File: trump-a1.jpg (378 KB, 1500x844) Image search: [Google]
trump-a1.jpg
378 KB, 1500x844
>>46268317
>And what does con look like?
>>
>>46266253
>How important is it for a character's appearance to reflect their stats?

Very, at least when it comes to physical stats. I'd also like to know how they got that way.
>>
>>46268187
Appearance MIGHT be important for CHA. Certainly, attractive people have more success in a number of interactions with other people. But this is not always the case.

Consider an old woman. She is wrinkled, her back is bent, her voice crackles and creaks almost as much as her joints do. But, she has a warm and sweet personality. When she smiles, others feel happy. When she is sad, others feel her pain. And when she is angry, everyone around learns what fear is.
Consider another old woman. She looks much like the first, but she always wears a scowl on her face. She barely speaks, and what little she does speak is often rude and unpleasant. While people may respect her, or at least pretend to, nobody really likes her and they're all waiting for her to just die already.

While there is little difference in the appearance of both of these women, and both are rather unattractive physically, the first woman would have high CHA and the second very low.
>>
>>46266253
I know it's a fantasy game blah blah blah but no
>>
>>46266253
That's no less realistic than anyone else who doesn't look like pic related.
>>
>>46266283
I can do that and I have one fully functional leg.
>>
File: raughing khan of khans.jpg (57 KB, 1022x547) Image search: [Google]
raughing khan of khans.jpg
57 KB, 1022x547
>>46266283

>I know how to safely lift something that's 50lbs and carry it.

Nigger anyone in decent shape should be able to do that.
>>
File: 1446908417839.jpg (567 KB, 1280x1378) Image search: [Google]
1446908417839.jpg
567 KB, 1280x1378
>>
>>46266253
It's important to me, but nobody else in my group seems to care.
>>
>>46270137
On the male side you have people like Henry Kissinger, who was hardly a looker. However, he was not only a very charismatic speaker and successful diplomat, but was also known for talking his way into the panties of a spectacular amount of women. But I feel like cases like these are outliers.

You could make an argument that attractive people are more likely to be charismatic for the simple reason that they're more used to social success in their early life, leading to higher levels of confidence. Uglier people might face dejection or being ostracized, which leads to them avoid social situations, which leads to them never developer the confidence, social skills or personal magnetism necessary to a charismatic person. We're on 4chan after all, I shouldn't have to explain how this vicious circle works.

There are exceptions - they might be born into wealth for example, and thus used to both people listening to them, and to the intricacies of social maneuvering from an early age.
>>
>>46266283
>have their backs snap in half.

Bruh not all your fellow fa/tg/uys are wimpy stick figures
>>
>>46266283
can you care notebooks too?
>>
>>46270272
Why have you posted this?
>>
I always just say that Comeliness is entirely separate from Charisma. Charisma has a lot more to do with your self-confidence in my book, and good speechcraft or inherent trustworthiness simply follow behind as a result of the person inherently trusting in his or her own judgment and having others do the same.
>>
File: triggered.jpg (563 KB, 644x1610) Image search: [Google]
triggered.jpg
563 KB, 644x1610
>>46270272
>greatest minds of the era
>one woman
>>
>>46271810
To allow people to raise the question of whether there is a relation between appearance and intelligence.
>>
>>46270178
Muscle hypertrophy does not != strength. While it's true that bodybuilders are quite strong they are significantly less strong than strongmen or powerlifters who are smaller because they focus on strength training instead of hypertrophy.
>>
File: 17779.jpg (49 KB, 480x640) Image search: [Google]
17779.jpg
49 KB, 480x640
>>46271974
Better?
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.