[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Eclipse Phase General - Corporate Espionage Edition
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
File: 1450663807714.png (3 MB, 800x1143) Image search: [Google]
1450663807714.png
3 MB, 800x1143
OFFICIAL BOOKS
>Eclipse Phase PDFs
http://robboyle.wordpress.com/eclipse-phase-pdfs
>Zone Stalkers
http://www.mediafire.com/view/d0hpgo776xpx50p/Eclipse_Phase_Zone_Stalkers.pdf
>Morph Recognition Guide
http://www.mediafire.com/download/j4bjbba89kw8v0y/Eclipse_Phase_Morph_Recognition_Guide_%286098716%29.pdf
>Million Year Echo
http://www.mediafire.com/view/f53f1c5yq777tpk/Million_Year_Echo.pdf
>Firewall (Updated):
http://www.mediafire.com/view/9jg6q9d9kqa59qu/Eclipse_Phase_Firewall_(7029562).pdf
>Transhumanity's FATE (FATE Conversion)
http://www.mediafire.com/download/ae113ujgd3hggpl/Transhumanitys_FATE.pdf

PLAY AIDS:
>10 things you should know about Eclipse Phase
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1Qnrh0w7H0Jl2_CSsySRxcs4ugw27xsBIk5MYwXq2nDQ/edit
>Advice for new players and GMs
http://pastebin.com/e0EErN6X
>Online character creator
http://eclipsephase.next-loop.com/Creator/version4/index.php
>Eclipse Phase hacking cheet sheet
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?axe1vs35muk4juh
>Eclipse Phase xls Character sheet
https://sites.google.com/site/eclipsephases/home/cabinet

HOMEBREW AND COMMUNITY CONTENT:
>3 new adventures for your use in convenient PDF form
http://awdaberton.wordpress.com/about/
>Various Eclipse Phase fanmade resources, and links to more
http://www.aleph.se/EclipsePhase/
>An Eclipse Phase yearblog full of items, locations, NPCs, and plot hooks
http://www.mediafire.com/download/dhqd1m83xc1wmpj/Farcast_Yearblog_2013.pdf
>Community homebrew document
https://docs.google.com/document/d/19Gy02gp6-WPQ3SoN_24kLPTUu5EjFO8qh_9pjJSVrrY/edit
>A metric shit ton of additional guns/ammo/weapon mods
http://eclipsephase.com/sites/default/files/UltimatesGuideToCombat11a.pdf

Tell me about your corporate plots and hypercorp bullshit, anons.
>>
>>46265066
Jovians did nothing wrong.
>>
>>46265066
>Hypercorps pumping up their profits through selling bonds based on defective morphs, as well as shorts on those bonds
>Sentinels tasked with either saving the Inner System economy, or accelerating its collapse
>>
>>46265100
Why would sentinels even meddle with that? Aren't they are not supposed to be political operatives, they handle x-threats.
>>
>46265154
If you spin it right, everything is an x-threat deserving of immediate intervention. It's a skill you hone in Paranoia and 40kRPG, going from "I want to do this thing" to "I will heroically do this thing to stop terrible heresy/treason/X-risk and save the galaxy/complex/humanity" in one giant mental leap. If you do it right, look forward to being a hero for the things you wanted to do anyway.
>>
>>46265100
>Three sentinel teams, each from a different server
>The first is attempting to stabilize the economy, including memetic ops to improve the behavior of the people behind this economic actions. Definitely wants them alive though.
>The second is attempting to destabilize the economy by empowering the people responsible and making them do more stuff like this
>The third is ignoring this particular problem, but is attempting to remove the people responsible from positions of power. Diverse methods to be employed include ruining them financially, killing them and altering the backup to decide to quit the finance industry, and framing them for scandals.
>None of the teams initially know about the others, and when they do find out they initially suspect that the other teams are OZMA, exsurgents, CFI, reclaimers, JSFI, certain hypercorps, Barsoomians, or various other interested parties

better
>>
>>46265270
>better
It sounds like a Paranoia plot. I love it.
>>
>>46265219
Sounds like a good way to get killed by your Proxy.
>>
>>46265274
It's just like Hydra. Cut off one head, two more take its place and start biting each other.
>>
>>46265154
Political situations are frequently X-threats

Some within Firewall think particular political systems are the only way to defend against another Fall. Others (including me) think a diverse political landscape is more secure from x-threats, as each will be better equipped to handle certain threats. Even the Jovians have a part to play. With someone taking the precautionary principle to the extreme, we can hope that they will develop more secure countermeasures and workarounds for certain potentially subvertible technologies. And, of course, many within Firewall try not to get involved with politics.
>>
>>46265100
They knew they would be bailed out.
>>
>>46265315
Sure, I just remember reading that Sentinels are supposed to leave their opinions, creeds and factions behind while on a mission.

Obviously if someone wants to assassinate a Jovian leader to take their place and launch their nukes at everyone else, Firewall intervenes.
>>
File: g2g operate.jpg (193 KB, 864x702) Image search: [Google]
g2g operate.jpg
193 KB, 864x702
Realistically, what's the best (fastest, least risk of death of the enemy) way to non-lethally incapacitate an opponent?

Electric shock can sometimes just cause cardiac arrest, some drugs can cause allergic reactions that lead to death, etc.
>>
>>46265299
It is if you go crazy with it and don't take local politics into account, but it's hard to find an issue that some server or another doesn't think is an x-threat. Once you've done that, the preferred solutions are also extremely diverse.

Really, Prometheans are the only thing holding Firewall together.
>>
>>46265372
If they have basic biomods there's way less to worry about with regard to accidental lethality.

Synths can be pretty troublesome though.
>>
>>46265403
And if they don't have biomods?

Really, this is as much a EP question as it is a general Sci Fi one.
>>
>>46265372
A mallet to the head.
Only works if you're using cartoon physics, though.
>>
>>46265426
Then they're probably Jovians or slaves and thus you need to be more careful.
>>
>>46265426
If they don't have biomods they're flats, who work just like the people you're familiar with.

For more generic SF, you really have to take the target into account. You'll be hard pressed to find something that can reliably down a fit 100 kg pound man and can be counted on to not kill a 30 kg child.

>>46265438
This can absolutely be lethal
>>
>>46265372
CQCing as a synth or a pod
>>
>>46265372
In EP? Probably specialized nanotoxins. Once injected into the target, the delivery nanobots analyzes its environment, decides how much toxin will be needed (and, if you're really fancy, what type), and releases just that.
Or, since cortical stacks exist, you could just shoot them.
>>
>>46265686
>Since cortical stacks exist, you could just shoot them.
I prefer stunning them and putting their heads in nanny bags so we get their minds and their morphs once we're back at base. Gets a little bit messy, though.
>>
>>46265717
The mind is in the cortical stack. Even if you want the actual brain, you might as well shoot them in the torso first if you're going to decapitate them.
>once we're back at base
What? You're probably farcasting in and out
>>
>>46265899
They could be operating out of a safehouse or forward operations base
>>
File: 1458314543252.png (676 KB, 900x708) Image search: [Google]
1458314543252.png
676 KB, 900x708
What is Eclipse Phase like mechanically? What other games would you compare it to? I haven't played a ton of different systems but I don't want to blunder into another 3.PF.

Also why do so many sci-fi settings uplift dumb animals? What's the point?
>>
>>46266688
>Also why do so many sci-fi settings uplift dumb animals? What's the point?
EP does not? They uplift smart animals, and make dumb animals smart so they can take commands and be better pets.
>>
>>46265066

The victims of the Lost project were individuals who had the Futura morphs with biological brains but no egos. When the fall happened the Titan virus infected the bodies and "grew" egos in them. They were subsequently experimented on until they managed to escape and destroy a good portion of Cognite's research facility in which the PC and Oversight had to intervine and cover up leading to Cognite's current position in the PC government.

However, the Futura's that escaped went into hiding and started developing their Async Powers which is just below the power of the Promethians and are setting about to essentially repeat the experiment that gave the prior post-singularity race Async powers to begin with.

The Titan Virus is the fragmented mind of one of these surviving members who went insane and the fragments, used in various egos and AI systems reacted and caused various effects from programs gaining sentience to going full on insane affecting all types of morphs and egos as well. and is the origin of the Promethians as well.

Note: this is just my headcannon for when I run a game some day.
>>
>>46266725
Even the smartest animal is dumb compared to humans.
>>
>>46266749

You say that until you're getting your head smashed by a 700 Neo-Gorillia with a Masters Degree in Business and Communications and owns his own hypercorp networking company.
>>
>>46266749
You realize the only difference between humans and chimpanzees is complex language and time?
>>
>>46266749
>Even the smartest animal is dumb compared to humans.
but the point is to artificially make them as smart as humans
>>
>>46266778
>>46266794
>>46266834
Mercurials plz go back to your owners.
>>
Why would anyone bother making a chimp as smart as a human? Why!? What is the point, in-setting, of doing this?

>>46266778
>>46266794
>>46266834
>a 700 Neo-Gorillia with a Masters Degree in Business and Communications
>the only difference between humans and chimpanzees is complex language and time
>the point is to artificially make them as smart as humans
Why bother?
>>
If you have a spacecraft, and you want to have a hidden area that's as close as possible to being unable to be found unless you know exactly what you're looking for and everything, how do you do it?
>>
>>46266923
Many of the greatest breakthroughs are preceded with "why not", "I wonder what happens if I do this" and "hold my synthahol and watch this".

The reason is science. Science, perspective and variety.
>>
>>46266858

crawl back into your hole you fucking bio-club smooth skin. I at least own my body which is more then you can say indentured. Speaking of which, get my drink you're not off the clock yet.
>>
>>46266923
Our scientists were so preoccupied with whether or not they could, that they didn't stop to think if they should.
>>
>>46266447
Might as well just turn themselves in if that's how they're going to play it.
>>
>>46266749
Compared to certain humans at any rate
>>46266923
Because uplifts contribute new viewpoints and ways of thinking to transhumanity.
>>46266945
Step one: don't use a spacecraft to go there. People will be able to see you arrive.
>>
>>46267052
Y-yes meester. Here's your drink.

Roll Moxie to avoid exsurgent infection
>>
>>46267226
The spacecraft is not going there. The spacecraft is being piloted by several forks controlling drones, and doing asteroid mining or something similar with nanite swarms, while we do our missions, and the unlocked fabber in the secret component begins crapping out gear.

Or at least that's the plan, anyway, unless there's a better way to do this.
>>
>>46267147

Is it really that archaic of a concept in EP to have things like bases or hideouts? Is farcasting the only solution to everything?

Christ, this setting.
>>
>>46265066
Is Eclipse Phase cyberpunk or post-cyberpunk — that is, does it have a left- or right-leaning view of capitalism? Always figured that about the only leftist to write cyberpunk was Gibson himself, so I think EP is post-cyberpunk?
>>
File: a smug anime.jpg (50 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
a smug anime.jpg
50 KB, 384x384
>>46267147
A safehouse isn't very safe if they have a high risk of getting caught, now is it
>>
>>46267289
If you have a safehouse you're not operating hard enough, and are not cautious enough. CONSTANT VIGILANCE and all that.
>>
>>46267309
Devs are literal anarchists.
>>
>>46267253

It taste weird, but I like it! Shave one year off your contract!
>>
>>46267402
What kind?
>>
>>46267337
>Incinerate every morph you use after each mission
>Never open any files, even text files.
>Assume everyone is an exsurgent agent, including yourself
>Lie to everyone, especially your muse
>CONSTANT
>VIGILANCE
>>
File: 1445791044318.jpg (61 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
1445791044318.jpg
61 KB, 600x450
>>46267508
>>
>>46267508
>never go on missions yourself, always send alpha forks that never get reintegrated and are wiped upon mission completion.
>>
>>46267266
How is this gear delivered?
>>46267289
No, you definitely want safehouses and supply caches. But they're single use, and you're only in the safehouse long enough to farcast out. You also might think of where your character actually lives as a safehouse. The trick is making sure no one can connect your character to his actions, and that means darkcasting.

This is barely different from modern tradecraft. The major differences are shit tons of surveillance, the software necessary to actually make effective use of that surveillance, and the suicide forks and farcasting that let you work around that.

>>46267309
It has both

>>46267318
No shit. That's my point. Explain how you're going to securely walk into your safehouse with ALI operated cameras on every square inch of the hab.

A safehouse may be perfect for doing planning and shit before the mission, but as soon as shit actually goes down there's no where you can hide for long. There might be exceptions if you can do your job in a way that no one will notice for a while, but this discussion is in the context of someone killing people and bagging their heads.

>>46267508
There's a pretty big difference between being to afraid to open text files and realizing that you are in fact being watched.

>>46267588
Not a terrible option with standard character progression rules.
>>
>>46267715
Antimatter spacecraft, with it flying to wherever we need to be between downtimes. We're relatively contained in where we are, I believe.
>>
>>46267715
>There's a pretty big difference between being to afraid to open text files and realizing that you are in fact being watched.
Text files can contain basilisk hacks. Especially ASCII basilisk hacks. CONSTANT VIGILANCE.
>Not a terrible option with standard character progression rules.
Oh? Why is that? Last time I read the books was a couple years ago.

IC it'd be just the main mind spending all their time training.
>>
>>46267756
What's the cover story?
>>
>>46267508
Oh, yes, forgot the most important part:
>Never do missions. Assume they are all traps.
>>
>>46267819
Cover story for what? A ship that's hopefully all but literally undetectable mining completely out of the way asteroids?
>>
>>46267790
Basilisk hacks are rare. Surveillance is omnipresent.
>Oh? Why is that? Last time I read the books was a couple years ago.
Character advancement is so slow that you'll stop playing before it matters that you aren't getting any RP

>>46267843
No, for the antimatter ship that is absolutely detectable, possibly to the point of being visible with the naked eye from earth, flying by where ever you're doing your mission in order to drop off the equipment it fabbed.
>>
>>46267889
But you can get fairly small ships, and nothing said anything about antimatter ships needing to be huge?
>>
>>46267715

But not every square meter of a habitat is actually going to have the same level of surveillance and vigilance on the part of those surveying, right? Otherwise you'd be forcing Firewall/espionage characters to be super paranoid and careful to the point of having meticulous and boring gameplay.

The only exceptions to this should be places that actually require 24/7 100% intense surveillance everywhere, ie Promethean hideouts, Pandora gates, high-security government/military facilities, etc.
>>
>>46267715
>Not a terrible option with standard character progression rules.

Sure, if you want to be boring, I guess.
>>
>>46267907
The drive plume is what would be visible.

>>46267918
Read Panopticon

>>46267937
My suggestion would be to at least double the RP rewards, maybe triple or quadruple.
>>
>>46267963
Whatever is in Panopticon, either what's written in it or how you interpreted it is mistaken.
If surveillance and sousveillance were as omnipresent as you claim, everyone would subconsciously notice it, become increasingly paranoid, and start backstabbing each other to a greater degree than any civilization can handle.
In short, the setting would look nowhere near like what is depicted in the core book, Sunward, and Rimward.
>>
>>46267963
So, how do you make that not visible, then?
>>
>>46267963
I have read Panopticon. I've also read the other books that contradict Panopticon and point out that there are still places where there is little to no surveillance, ie certain stretches of Martian highways, for example. Panopticon itself points out that there are also gaps in surveillance in habitats that can be exploited, and even if you are caught on camera it's not a guarantee that anyone will do anything about it.

Even if surveillance was 100% or near 100% depicted in the setting I wouldn't allow for it. That's playing a game that I wouldn't be interested in, especially in a Firewall game where anonymity and secrecy is important.
>>
File: corrupted AGI waifu.gif (903 KB, 500x654) Image search: [Google]
corrupted AGI waifu.gif
903 KB, 500x654
>>46267715
>Explain how you're going to securely walk into your safehouse with ALI operated cameras on every square inch of the hab.
you don't have a hacker covering your data trails?
>>
>>46268027
It's usually absent from private spaces.
People do notice it.
People are more paranoid.
People give less of a shit about stuff. It's really fucking hard to be the hard-nose straightedge antigay republican senator who spends his saturday nights hooking up with strange men. The result: less moral panic, more forgiveness of minor sleights. Everyone lives in a glass house. There is less stone throwing.

>>46268073
Do the gaps include the entrance to the safehouse? Unlikely. And what about the maintenance bots?

>>46268106
This requires you to know about all of the cameras. Not going to work very well in public places, especially with people lifelogging all the time.
>>
>>46268029
The same way you get the screen door to keep the water out of your submarine.
>>
>>46268192
But wouldn't you just be able to boost for a certain period, shut off and coast, and use a smaller, stealthier engine for fine maneuverability?
>>
>>46268243
He's saying any engine plume would be instantly noticed in space.
>>
>>46268243
The trajectory will be predictable. IR emissions will still be detectable. Antimatter spacecraft are very unusual and only used for very important stuff. Its arrival will be extremely suspicious. The smaller engine will also be detectable.

http://www.projectrho.com/public_html/rocket/spacewardetect.php#id--There_Ain't_No_Stealth_In_Space
>>
>>46268169
>Everyone lives in a glass house. There is less stone throwing.

All it takes is one stone to break everyone's houses.
>>
>>46268344
Only if people give a fuck.

If not giving a fuck isn't sufficient protection, this metaphor has gone been stretched too far and I don't know what you're talking about.
>>
>>46268375
Have you seen social media these days? People give massive fucks about the most trivial topics. I doubt that that will change by AF10.
>>
>>46268341
Huh. Well, shit. Uh.

So, if for whatever reason, I want to have a chacaracter that does have a ship, or I'd like to set up some sort of an asteroid base type thing, what's the best way to go about that, then? If just hiding it isn't possible, apparently, what DO you do?
>>
>>46268407
>I doubt society will change in the next 100+ years

All you, Joe Citizen, have to do is not care.
>>
>>46266741
>When the fall happened the Titan virus infected the bodies and "grew" egos in them.
>The Titan Virus is the fragmented mind of one of these surviving members who went insane
Plot hole, mate. The Titan virus do a lot but it can't retroactively create itself.
>>
>>46268475
The majority may not care, but only one person has to care, and infect enough people with the capacity to care, to start a disastrous chain reaction.
>>
>>46266741
Prometheans aren't asyncs, dude. They are AIs just like the TITANs, but good. They are also as old if not older than the TITANs.
>>
>>46268455
Well there's a reason that people don't use spacecraft to run ops. Actually there are a lot of reasons:

No stealth
Expensive
Takes too long to get anywhere
Draws attention
Makes escaping (without ditching the spacecraft) much more difficult

You may occasionally need to show up in person to gain access to a secure facility or hab, but your best bet is to farcast to a nearby hab and shuttle over, possibly in little more than a vac suit. Alternatively you might hitch a ride on a scheduled delivery. Casting to a scum swarm that is dropping by is also a nice option when casting into the hab is difficult.

>>46268572
What the fuck are you talking about?
>>
>>46268613
The spacecraft isn't so much for ops as it is for between ops, switching areas without egocasting, and doing shit like couriering stuff or smuggling. The idea was for the character to be an Emegergent AGI that was part of a scum swarm/anarchists, and to have the ship as part of that, using it ferry shit around using forks as the pilots.
>>
>>46268613
>What the fuck are you talking about?

A rebellion against surveillance. A fight for the right to privacy.
>>
File: surveillance.png (2 MB, 1194x772) Image search: [Google]
surveillance.png
2 MB, 1194x772
Ah yes, the "you can't do shit because the MAGIC OF SURVEILLANCE" topic again.

Much like many other topics of /epg/, this is an exaggeration of the subject. Panopticon itself gives the means to subvert the surveillance network. If you actually look in the mechanical portions of the book, you will find the price range to buy or rent blind spots/routes or private zones. It comes with a number of implants and tech which allow you to challenge or dupe many types of detection equipment so that you cannot be tagged or tracked as "you", and also provides names of some surveillance/privacy focused organizations who can help you acquire these services. Like everything else in EP, all it takes is proper planning and resources to solve any problem.
>>
>>46268169
You'd think building a safehouse in places where they're least likely to be found (ie places that have less or no surveillance) is the whole point of a safehouse.

Maintenance bots are built to maintain things, not sniff out safehouses, because a "safehouse" can be a lot of things physically. It can be a conspicuous fabbed building that cropped up in the middle of nowhere, or it could be a habitat block in one of the Martian souks. It's called "Artificial LIMTIED Intelligence" for a reason, and is also why ego hunters and similar professions are still a thing: to look for people or things that normal surveillance cannot.

Regardless of how much the books contradict themselves, I think it boils down to how much the GM wants to play up the current status of Eclipse Phase's panopticon/surveillance societies. For me, I don't make it dominate my games unless it's plot relevant. If my players are constant worrywarts about being caught and are forced to come up with overly detailed plans (and contingency plans and plans within plans), it's not fun. Obviously murdering someone in the open in the busiest areas of, say, New-Shanghai or Locus is just asking for it, but that's a different story.

>>46268724
There is privacy. Panopticon explicitly makes it clear that people value their privacy more than ever, unless you're in one of those completely transparent habitats, who are the exception rather than the norm. It's actually considered a pretty heavy crime in many habitats to breach one's personal privacy (ie their home). It's the power to remain anonymous on, say, the Mesh or social circles that's much more difficult.
>>
>>46268724
There's already surveillance all over the place in real life. No one gives a fuck. The big difference is it isn't networked. Skip ahead a bit.

What are you going to do? Ban cameras?

Definitely read Panopticon though. It talks about how all of this developed.
>>
>>46268778
>>46268779
Well. I'm sorry. I overreacted. I let my personal fears get the better of me.
>>
>>46268778
>You'd think building a safehouse in places where they're least likely to be found (ie places that have less or no surveillance) is the whole point of a safehouse.

It's also suspicious as fuck, which is why real safehouses are just apartments.

>Maintenance bots are built to maintain things, not sniff out safehouses

They have sensors. They report when things change. They report when people are sneaking around.

>It's called "Artificial LIMTIED Intelligence" for a reason

That's why anomalies are sent up the chain of command

> If my players are constant worrywarts about being caught and are forced to come up with overly detailed plans (and contingency plans and plans within plans), it's not fun.

Move fast before they catch up to us is overly elaborate?

>It's the power to remain anonymous on, say, the Mesh or social circles that's much more difficult.

Also, when you go outside.
>>
>>46268772
Counting on all of that stuff working out is still a bad idea. It also works way better when no one knows anything is happening yet. Egocasting out as soon as possible after a mission is the way to go.
>>
>>46268455
Look as much like normal commercial traffic to and from a normal asteroid habitat as you possibly can. The best way to do this is to /be/ normal commercial traffic to and from a normal asteroid habitat, just with a minor sideline in black ops.
>>
>>46268881

>Also, when you go outside.

Anonymous Account, Skin Flex.

Congrats, with two items available in the core book, you have at least temporarily bamboozled two very basic ways of tracking you, Mesh and Facial recognition. We can go deeper and fuck with biometric sensors and even brainscan or Nanotat ID checkpoints, but those last two are pretty intense security measures anyway. You're much more likely to need to subvert them in an op than in day to day tradecraft. That's expensive and complex, of course, and often illegal, but you're already part of an illegal conspiracy.

>>46268931

Yeah, because the same team of 3-6 Egos beaming in and out of habs around mysterious events in a connected sequence is never suspicious.

Unless you're going to admit Darknets/Darkcasting are a thing which exist all the time, though that puts a bit of a dent in your argument
>>
>>46269005
>Anonymous Account, Skin Flex.
That's not going to keep anyone from tracking "the guy who did the thing" back to his safe house.
>>
So, let's run through a scenario here which presents one of many ways you can, with proper planning and resources, not get autofucked by the cops and still get away - possibly even stay in the operation theater and continue to do other operations because seriously, when is your GM going to write something centered on a big city or hab and be one and done, yeah?

So, you're on Mars, in Olympus. You need to steal a physical item, maybe some tech, or a weapon, or just hardcopy that's being secured. So it's being transported by ComEx, because natch. You wait until the item is in transit, having already figured out which container it's in via your skills at hacking (both InfoSec and Social Engineering). Before it's loaded into a Maglev car and shot of to Prometheans know where, you jump in and bag it. Loud or quiet, you'll probably get tagged here taking the item and it's case, but no biggie. It's hiding in plain sight, maybe there are some security guards. Now, further fun fact, the maglev lines have to cross through the abandoned outer sections of Olympus which are ABANDONED and thus do not have regular surveillance or maintenance. You sprint down the line and pop into Fuxingmen. Now, here's another fun fact for you, which plays into how cops are not infallible justice machines. ComEx and the OIA who run Olympus hate each other. OIA cops are not going to rush into Fuxingmen to track down some lost merch for ComEx, that's what insurance is for. Even if there's a third party, com lag will delay any increase in pressure. You lie low in the abandoned part of town for a few days, maybe burn the gear you need to or alter your physical markers, switch the box the item is in, then stroll back into Central district, hop on the elevator and gently float out of town, probably to a cheap rocket ride to another orbital on Mars, or even out of the Martian system.
>>
>>46269005
>egocasting

First, use a fake ID. Unless they're brainscanning, you're in. You just need to bounce the signal across a few proxy habs and repeaters. Another option: bribing the guy running the facility.

Second, darkcasting absolutely doesn't put a dent in the argument because they're not operating in public spaces and stay open mostly by bribery. That's assuming it's not a firewall-arranged darkcasting station that isn't used all the time.
>>
>>46269292
Sure, if you're in one of the vanishingly rare places in the system where there's abandoned living space.
>>
>>46269146

Yes it is?

You pop in a blind spot, they exist you can't say they don't, switch your face stay anonymous or turn not anonymous, bam. Tracking algorithms lose you and somebody physically tracking the surveillance data has to look much harder.

>>46269304

The fact that darknet spaces exist does put a dent in your argument, because it means there is a system of non-surveilled, private networking which exists in most places. Since that's a giant gaping violation of customs and most security procedures, habs don't want such things to be open but they still exist. This means that the "surveillance machine" can't be so persistent that private spaces and subverted areas don't exist. And if you can bribe one guy, there's no reason you can't bribe the cops, too.

Your whole idea here seems to be built on the idea that "cops" or "surveillance" is some kind of unthinking machine that sees everything and "remains unmoved" or whatever. Cops are people. There's all kinds of ways you can beat people.

And let me tell you, if you burn out of a hab every time you do something remotely illegal, your Proxy should be pissed. You're burning shitloads of resources on bodies and egocasts each time that Firewall isn't getting back.
>>
>>46269471
>Yes it is?
How? All those are going to do is keep them from knowing who you are.

>You pop in a blind spot and spend 20 minutes in one place changing your face while security is after you

Okay
>>
>>46269401

Or in older habitats, or run-down areas, where sensors may be decrepit/non-functioning/prone to disruptions. Or just be in a blind spot or places with little surveillance cover that yes, do exist, even in populated places like Locus or New Shanghai. This isn't me pulling things out of my asshole, Panopticon points this out on page 162.
>>
>>46269471
The trouble is moving between those private areas, pal. No one said the safe house wouldn't be secure because they've bugged the place.
>>
>>46269471
>And let me tell you, if you burn out of a hab every time you do something remotely illegal

So we're just going to pretend the context for this wasn't going loud on an op and stealing peoples' heads then?
>>
File: ToplessGamerGrill.png (799 KB, 683x713) Image search: [Google]
ToplessGamerGrill.png
799 KB, 683x713
>>46269618
>implying anyone on /tg/ ever remembers the context 20 posts in
We're terrible at that.
>>
>>46269530

Egocasting is a process which takes a lot of time, comparatively. Egocasting is roughly 10x slower than a radio farcast transmission. So are you going to pop into a blind spot with a slab and lay unconscious for 20 minutes while you beam to another hab?

>>46269618

You tell me. Like usual, the context for this discussion seems to have drifted to "you can't get away with anything", which isn't true. If that's not what we're arguing, people should be more specific about the case.

>>46269568

Blind spot/route. Minimum cost of [High]. Explicitly says blind routes tend to either be impermanent or inconvenient, and the cost is usually to get one temporarily built.
>>
>>46268607
>>46268533

That's why I said headcannon, I'm sick of the space cthulhu deal so I just made up my own stuff about the Titan Virus
>>
>>46269696
>Egocasting is a process which takes a lot of time, comparatively. Egocasting is roughly 10x slower than a radio farcast transmission. So are you going to pop into a blind spot with a slab and lay unconscious for 20 minutes while you beam to another hab?
Emergency farcasters can do it in seconds. It's putting you in meatspace at the other end that takes a while.

>the context for this discussion seems to have drifted to "you can't get away with anything"

No one has said anything remotely approaching that. The discussion has consistently centered on "when you go hot it's time to leave"

>Blind spot/route. Minimum cost of [High]. Explicitly says blind routes tend to either be impermanent or inconvenient, and the cost is usually to get one temporarily built.

It's not talking about public spaces. It's talking about conveniently making sensors fail in surveilled location.
>>
File: Countersurveillance.png (251 KB, 547x897) Image search: [Google]
Countersurveillance.png
251 KB, 547x897
>>
>>46269817

BLIND SPOT/ROUTE
Certain groups intentionally create or maintain “blind
spots” in public areas that are free of surveillance
coverage. These are then rented out to those who need
to conduct a discreet transaction, switch disguises, or
otherwise do something without being seen or leaving
a record. These blind spots rarely last long; new ones
must be created. For a greater expense, a painstakingly
mapped route can be purchased that carefully winds its
way without crossing through the coverage area of any
sensors. These routes are rare and hard to maintain; it
is unlikely that you can shop for a route in a specific
area, but they are good for setting up a meeting in a
location with an unwatched escape route. Alternatively,
at even greater expense, it is sometimes possible to pay
criminal groups to create a temporary route for you
along the path of your choosing.
>>
>>46269853
Sorry, I meant to say it's not talking about private spaces.

Blind spots aren't super secure. There's a very good chance of you getting picked up anyway. As such, it's wise to leave ASAP after going loud.
>>
Can surveillance see vampires?
>>
>>46269961
Yes, unless the sensors use mirrors for focusing.
>>
>>46269982
Drat. Baldrick, your 'cunning plan' is worthless!
>>
So maybe we can't all agree on how not to get caught.

Can we agree on ways you CAN get caught?

Shockingly, throwing a lens crazer down in a public space isn't as stealthy as you think.
>>
>>46270353
Weebsabers are always a good way to get riddled with enough holes to prevent your escape.
>>
>>46266688
It's a tediously extended adaptation of Basic Roleplaying.

To be honest, it feels a bit like Pathfinder. Characters tend to be complex and time consuming to create, there are scads and scads of build options which may be OP or totally useless depending on the game. Sometimes these generals are packed with what amounts to CharOp discussions to min max morph, skills, and gear loadout.

>>46267437
The sheltered middle class upbringing kind.
>>
>>46270456
> sheltered middle class upbringing
Ancaps, then?
>>
As a player, is there any way to acquire Psi 3, or greater?

Does getting it just automatically make you go full nanobot cancerbeast?
>>
>>46270531

Well, being an exsurgent doesn't mean full nanobot cancerbeast, but yes, you can't hit Psi 3 and still be playable. Epsilon Psi is basically a plot device level power, and is one of those things which should be firmly beyond ye ken
>>
What would you imagine Barsoomian music sounds like, /epg/?
>>
>>46270580
Played in full atmosphere or outdoors?
>>
>>46270580

Synth versions of traditional arabian and chinese instruments over angry anti-establishment lyrics in a mixture of Russian, English and Mandarin.
>>
What are some really interesting ways to use your muse?

>>46270633
Don't forget Yazidi influence, whatever that sounds like.
>>
>>46270648

It sounds like Peacock Angels.
>>
File: AutonomistAlliance.png (4 MB, 812x2206) Image search: [Google]
AutonomistAlliance.png
4 MB, 812x2206
>>
File: relationshipmapping.png (848 KB, 1194x726) Image search: [Google]
relationshipmapping.png
848 KB, 1194x726
>>
File: Galatea 6.jpg (51 KB, 600x823) Image search: [Google]
Galatea 6.jpg
51 KB, 600x823
>>
>>46265100
This is literally Oversight's job. I think the PC can clean up/kick the shit out of its members if need be. They did it before after all.
>>
File: Oversight.jpg (115 KB, 613x1589) Image search: [Google]
Oversight.jpg
115 KB, 613x1589
>>
>>46268243
A modern IR camera can pick up the space shuttle using it's RCS system (the tiny rockets the shuttle uses to dock) from the asteroid belt. It might be possible to make a stealthy cold-gas or spring system, but you can barely change course with that, which means that someone tracking you can be reasonably accurate from seeing where your main engine plume would take you.

>>46268665
If you want a space craft most people will ignore, that's possible, as there's a fair amount of space traffic. It wouldn't be an antimatter ship, as "antimatter rocket" and "self propelled WMD" are synonyms.

>>46268772
>>46268931
Yeah, it's not really feasible to be invisible, but you can pay off the watchers and obfuscate your trail that by the time anyone who's looking for you catches the trail fully you've been off hab for 6 weeks. With the right equipment, support, gear, and planning, you can probably get your op written off as conspiracy theory stuff. But the panopticon means that there is a time for how long you can hide, staying hidden forever isn't really an option.

>>46268778
You might have a well hidden safe house, but if someone is tracking you, they can watch your movements in and our of the dark zone back through time and get a decent idea of where you disappear off to. Then some cheap surveillance stuff like smart dust should be able to narrow it the rest of the way. A safe house could be reasonably secure until someone starts looking for you in earnest though, then it's a countdown until it's compromised.

>>46269146
You can counter that as well, just get somewhere hidden, and swap morphs, or at least morph appearances. There are professional lookalikes who can be hired for this purpose.
>>
>>46268607
They're woefully behind ond the intelligence growth curve. They're better than AGI, but pathetic in comparison to most other ASI.
>>
>>46272239
You know, I wish the books did more with Oversight as more than a puppet of Ozma. They seem like they should be fucking terrifying, but they're basically a footnote to Ozma.
>>
So we crash landed on earth using an iceteroid. Landed in middle of attack drones and anti-infantry LAVs and only dodged them by running back and forth hiding in sand dunes. Forgot ground transport and food fabbers last session.

New session today, we found a mining town, jerry rigged an apc by finding a vehicle, fabbing tools, welding metal sheets to it and building murder ports and a door and chairs inside and programmed it to drive for us and glued solar panels to the top and fuel cells inside. We gotta stop and let it charge now and then, but we found a warehouse where we managed to scrounge food while being attacked by drones with LMGs and a search chopper. We shot the 5 small drones, and I killed the chopper in one sniper shot while we evaded incoming LAV vehicles after that and got out with six weeks of food pellets, 200 LMG ammo, an LMG off a drone. One of these scrounging rolls was a guy without scrounging so he said "oh boy, so I gotta roll a 7 or less." he rolled a 7. The mission Char's Revenge continues on for now.
>>
>>46272862
I still have three fat ladies left. Gotta make use of those 200 credit a pop beauties, grown from genetic stock and hand cultured tobacco under natural growth conditions.

What a time to be alive.

TITANS: 0
Dunce Cap Cell: 5

Gonna go full Brasil vs. Germany on those cunts. We might take that last hit, but the TITANs will be BTFO'd and forever anally devastated.
>>
>>46272846
>you can probably get your op written off as conspiracy theory stuff.
You know...between the panopticon, the sheer number of terrifying and shadowy spy agencies operating in EP, and the disinformation and propaganda campaigns every last one is spinning at all times, EP conspiracy theory forums must be fucking amazing places. Imagine the crazy shit they'd be spinning and the wild theories being thrown out, some of them 100% correct. And every so often, a Titanian Intelligence or JFI agent, or a Firewall vector, or an OZMA truth spinner, will stick a new spoke in the wheel and give it a rough spin just to see what shakes loose.
>>
File: Courier 2.jpg (357 KB, 2048x1536) Image search: [Google]
Courier 2.jpg
357 KB, 2048x1536
>>46272846

>It wouldn't be an antimatter ship, as "antimatter rocket" and "self propelled WMD" are synonyms.

Since the only AM-powered craft are military ships and high-speed couriers, I'd personally assume those have very well documented flight plans. It's all the highest priority shit on a Courier, so you really should not be deviating from your course at any point.

>>46272970

See, this is why I think Interest: Conspiracy Theories is a common and useful skill.
>>
>>46268854
That's what is intended. Welcome to /epg/.
>>
>tfw no group so you're just making entire cells of characters for Transhumanity's Fate
>>
>>46272862
>>46272964
You the guys who jumped to Earth without packing go-cycles?
>>
>>46273035

Yeah that's us.
We derped out hard.

Two of us were even talking about bringing them, and then FUCKING FORGOT.
Truly we're the best transhumanityh has to offer
>>
>>46269696
Use a synth/cyberbrain. It's much faster to evacuate, so if you've got a transmitter you can be gone in seconds.

>>46270531
Get infected by the strains that cause psy 3. Haunting does it, but you stop being a PC when you get psy 3.

>>46273005
That's what I mean, AM ships are really high-profile and expensive to run.
>>
>>46272964
What are you actually doing there though?
>>
>>46273055
How long before your GM goes "FUCK IT" and rigs the dice to kill you?
>>
>>46273067

Well, technically, both the emergency farcaster and using a cyberbrain are fairly quick, but there's still a lot of signal lag involved in the actual transmission of your ego from hab to hab. I think it's equivalent to a "bandwidth" limitation than anything else, a lot of data has to go out for your complete Ego. So if you're not careful the flipside can send out an APB quicker than you can get instanced in your new location.

Since the "egocasting takes 10x" thing comes from Rimward specifically discussing how long it takes to get around in the outer system, I'm pretty sure that's outside the "resleeve with continuity range" still.
>>
>>46273067
>Use a synth/cyberbrain. It's much faster to evacuate, so if you've got a transmitter you can be gone in seconds.
Unless your biomorph doesn't have a stack the time to ditch the morph is the same either way.
>>
>>46273137

Man, that's real rough on the psychiatric bills though.
>>
>>46273129
The delay is just because light isn't infinitely fast.
>>
File: Farcasting Time.png (27 KB, 292x303) Image search: [Google]
Farcasting Time.png
27 KB, 292x303
>>46273167
>>
>>46273035
That's us. We were offered to farcast onto Earth, or walk down the beanstalk in special exosuits, or ride an asteroid.

We rode the asteroid and sung "I DON'T WANT TO CLOSE MY EYES..!"

We were offered to ride down in super-stylin' combat mechas.

We opted for a shuttle instead, putting all our bets onto being able to steer a terminal velocity shuttle through the atmosphere and it's static while the Cordon Killsats fire tungsten rods at us. "I DON'T WANT TO FALL ASLEEEEEP..!"

And we made it. And no one knows that the pilot passed out from the G forces just prior to land... impact. Because I was the last to fold.
"AND I DON'T WANT TO MISS A THING!"

>tfw keeping the cunt afloat while team members pass out left and right
>burn moxie like it's candy
>tungsten rod sheers off a wing because sensors failed to pick up shot
>still ace the landing due to perfect setup
>blew all of six moxie on the ride down

>>46273093
We are on-site investigating an exsurgent/TITAN site that has a pseudo-Reclaimer front across the Solar System, conducting heavy brainwashing to further their efforts.

Firewall has classified us as an investigative, subversive cell. We're actually MacGyver-tier survivalists and jacks of all trades and then some. We fuck up rolls all the time, but as soon as our ass is against the wall, we ace it in chains.
>>
File: 1378994970496.jpg (24 KB, 500x461) Image search: [Google]
1378994970496.jpg
24 KB, 500x461
>>46273093

Last mission, we were on Luna where a group we've been hounding for a while basically tried to take control of the city's mass drivers in order to launch an attack on the Cordon.
We stopped them, because we rock. However, the wrapup of the mission consisted of our Firewall contact saying "Okay yeah, this old mountain base on Earth wouldve been perfectly placed for launching some kind of vehicle off Earth through the small gap that wouldve been punched in the Cordon if you'd not succeeded, so we want you to go find out what the fuck they were doing."

So that's what we're doing.
The fuckers have been our antagonists the whole campaign, trying to brainwash and meme people into removing the Cordon and going back to Earth.

So we're there to try and find out what was here and was so important.
Im expecting something fucking horrific, like exsurgent monstres on a Dead Space scale, or a fucking TITAN or something.

>>46273128
He's actually said a couple of times that its ridiculous becuase when we're doing inconsequential stuff we end up rolling horribly a lot of the time, but when the shit starts hitting the fan we suddenly end up nailing rolls a lot.
Like the aforementioned guy nailing a 7 when he needed one, nailing successive navigation and driving checks to escape LAVs.
When 20 minutes beforehand, we'd be struggling to kick a door open.
>>
>>46273226
>>46273228
Bruhs, I think your contact got meme-hacked by the bad guys to send you to Earth.
>>
>>46273322
>implying we're not gonna make it anyway

Our proxy is "Hundreds of Idiots". Our cell is "Dunce Cap". Our speciality is fucking it all up but acing it when it counts. We are literally avatars of entropy.
>>
File: 1453149915362.jpg (284 KB, 996x682) Image search: [Google]
1453149915362.jpg
284 KB, 996x682
>>46273322

The thought has occurred to me more than once.

I've been trying not to think about it. It's bad enough being on what's pretty much a suicide mission without it also being a set up.
>>
>>46273353
>>46273364
No worries! You're the Ultimate Lucky Cell. You'll spectacularly succeed against all odds and shine brightly as transhumanity's Hope!
>>
>>46273228
Why didn't you just use those mass drivers to blow up the site on Earth?
>>
File: mechanic_AB.jpg (216 KB, 800x1131) Image search: [Google]
mechanic_AB.jpg
216 KB, 800x1131
>>
>>46274058
How are you supposed to hold that gun?
>>
http://strawpoll.me/7195243
Vote for your favorite faction, /epg/.
>>
>>46274235
Grip and trigger is below the muzzle.
>>
>>46274269
Can we pick more than one? This is surprisingly difficult.
>>
>>46274333
I really wish there was an option to set it to, say, pick five, because that would help immensely. But no, it's pick one or pick as many as you want and that would ruin the point of the exercise.
>>
>>46274314
I saw that. Where does your other hand go?
>>
>>46273620

I figure that it's more prudent to find out what and why, then blow it up, than just blow it up.
>>
>>46273137
Uploading from a biomorph: 10 minutes
Uploading from a pod: 5 minutes
Uploading from a cortical stack or cyberbrain: effectively instantaneous.
If you want to resleeve quickly, go from cyberbrain/infomorph to cyberbrain/infomorph

EP page 269

>>46273129
Bandwidth isn't a problem in EP unless you're using neutrinos or QE comms, otherwise it's basically enough. If your looking to move fast, you're probably not trying to cross the whole solar system, and can be anywhere within a light second in about 10 second by that rule. That's enough range to get from Luna to Fresh Kills, or any number of ships, and an omnidirectional quantum encrypted broadcast can't be traced or intercepted. You could even go point-to-point in the same hab, quickly moving and resleeving to shake off pursuers.

>>46274269
Sifters a best
>>
>>46274269
>singularity seekers in 1st place
TITAN waifus for everyone!
>>
>>46275028

Really, I'm just looking for the right word for "it's a shitload of data, so it takes physically longer, like the difference between torrenting a 5 gig HD porn video and a book that's just a .txt file". If you want to send an email, it takes as long as that radio or laser pulse does. You want to send a whole person, there's a little bit of lag so that all the data has to get there. Bandwidth was the best I had in a short analogy.
>>
File: TITANWaifu.png (309 KB, 534x428) Image search: [Google]
TITANWaifu.png
309 KB, 534x428
>>46275205
>>
>>46274269
I don't recognize some of these. What's a sifter? An Outster? A Sapient?
>>
>>46275335
They're in Transhuman.
>>
>>46275335

>Sifter

Siftrunner nomads from Mercury, they do mining and prospecting mostly.

>Out'ster

With way fucking out there in the Outer System. Pluto or beyond type shit.

>Sapient

Uplifts and AGI are people too. But not seperate from people, like a Mercurial says.
>>
>>46273620
We never got in contact with the mass drivers directly, we just had an opportunity to make an escaping shot at the mass drivers and managed it.
>>
File: plightoftheuplifts.png (1 MB, 1193x737) Image search: [Google]
plightoftheuplifts.png
1 MB, 1193x737
>>46275496

>But not seperate from people, like a Mercurial says.

Now I've realized that most Mercurials are literally preaching "seperate but equal".
>>
>>46275818
Welcome to the regressive left.
>>
>>46275818
>>46275896

This is dumb. Mercurials want autonomy from the rest of Transhumanity. It's much more like getting recognized as a sovereign nation/species than de-segregation.

The principle of it is to recognize that they ARE different from humanity, but that it is not a bad thing. The refusal to recognize that difference and deal with it on its own terms is the concept of erasure, and that's what Mercurials don't like, in addition to the whole "being owned" thing.

A lot of them might have beliefs that are more radical, but when they're arguing for their species to be recognized, don't misunderstand it based on modern day political bias.
>>
>>46276106
>I demand that you treat me exactly like you would a member of transhumanity while simultaneously vocally acknowledging that I'm not a member of transhumanity!

Humanimals out now
>>
>>46276106
>A lot of them might have beliefs that are more radical
That's most of them. You have your wannabe Caesars and Kobas, your murder-octos, your wannabe TITANs, your "Rape is a cultural right, shitlords" dolphins, and a grab bag of "Fucking mammals REEEEE" birdbrains. Moderate Mercurials are called Sapients, anyone who calls themself a Mercurial is not to be trusted.
>>
>>46275258
How would a Promethan convince Firewall it's not a threat?
>>
>>46276290

Give the secret Promethean gang handshake.
>>
>>46276290
Considering they run Firewall I can't imagine it would be a hard sell.
>>
>>46276335
What about a new one?
Don't ask how it came into being without Firewall nuking it's site into a glowing green splotch
>>
>>46275818
Think integration vs assimilation
>>
>>46276290
The same way an adult proves it's not a threat to a baby. Don't kill it.
>>
>>46276667

>Is that literally light speed?
>1 AU = 8.3 Light Minutes
>Earth: Distance 1 AU Time 8 minutes
>>
>>46275233
Eclipse Phase bandwidth is insanely huge, like casually throwing Yottabytes around wirelessly huge. Ego files are probably in the petabyte range, so it shouldn't make much of a difference compared to a lot of normal use.

>>46276516
It's probable that Nomic is in contact with Firewall already, so I'd guess one of two ways:

Super secretively from a well hidden base or, Nomic style: Be so well known and important that Firewall will probably expose itself taking you down. My guess is that either way, they'll probably contact other ASI first, as no one is more likely to be able to do that. So pretty much >>46276320
which probably includes a lot of NOT AN EXSURGENT documentation
>>
>>46276736
Sending a Firewall team to set up a high bandwidth connection so a Promethean could lobotomize NOMIC might be a fun adventure seed
>>
>>46273214
This is really dumb. Why would egocasting time multiply? It should just be light-speed lag + ego size/bitrate
>>
>>46276955
I can't think of any reason it would take so long, other than the necessity of relaying the signal if you're on exact opposite sides of the sun or something. Or does 'neutrino communication' fix that too?
>>
>>46276955
Need to wait longer for a time slot on a powerful enough transmitter
>>
>>46276106
>muh erasure

Back to tumblr.
>>
>>46276955
It makes some sense that error checking would be really serious with egocasting, but that shouldn't be 10x light speed distance. It makes sense if you're moving from a lot of laser relays or something, but long range stuff is usually neutrino based, which doesn't care at all. The only way it really makes sense is if it includes customs, or some other series of two way communications which need to be set up. After all, emergency forecasters don't have that problem. My guess is that time includes the time needed to talk to the other people, pay them, set up a time, and get a sleeve arranged.

Otherwise that's super stupid, about as bad a "gravity transition zones" or orange argon.

>>46277048
You need something like a light-year thick piece of lead to really interrupt neutrinos, but you need a huge transmitter for a fast connection, as that strength also makes them hard to pick up.
>>
>>46277285
>>
>>46277354

Could always ask on the Forums "hey, why does Egocasting take 10x time". The devs occasionally answer.
>>
>>46277354
>It makes some sense that error checking would be really serious with egocasting, but that shouldn't be 10x light speed distance.

Error correction shouldn't be a multiplier of any kind. Throw in some data redundancy and a checksum. Keep a copy on file for a set period in case something goes wrong.
>>
>>46277285
>erasure

A fitting fate for animals that think they're people
>>
File: temp.jpg (91 KB, 236x1814) Image search: [Google]
temp.jpg
91 KB, 236x1814
>>46277285
>>
File: 11-19-14.png (13 KB, 611x163) Image search: [Google]
11-19-14.png
13 KB, 611x163
>>
>>46276106
So like Muslims then?
>>
>>46274505
On top of your other hand, like firing a pistol.
>>
>>46278374
That weapon's center of mass is clearly *way* behind that point. Why not just leave the barrel on and have a foregrip?
>>
File: totallyapistol.jpg (6 KB, 575x384) Image search: [Google]
totallyapistol.jpg
6 KB, 575x384
>>46278374
There's a reason AR-15 pistols have counterweights
>>
>>46278536
Because artists, and most regular people, don't know how guns work 95% of the time.
>>
File: Oversight 1.jpg (139 KB, 1000x678) Image search: [Google]
Oversight 1.jpg
139 KB, 1000x678
>>
How many sections would a CM need to be produced in to be able to fab copies of itself with minimal assembly required?

Asking for a friend
>>
>>46280073
If we assume a CM is a cube I think you could reasonably divide one into about eight sections, each small enough to be fabbed by a complete CM
>>
>>46280491
What if it's not a cube? What's the working volume as a fraction of the exterior volume?
>>
>>46280544
>What if it's not a cube?
The book describes them as being about the size of washing machines, which are roughly cube shaped (although not perfectly)

>What's the working volume as a fraction of the exterior volume?
In order for dividing it into eight pieces to work, the space inside has to have dimensions at least equal to one half the dimensions of the CM itself
>>
The main problem is feedstock. For your economic terrorism to work, you'll need abundant quantities of it.
>>
>>46280998
That's what recyclers are for anon
>>
>>46281598
There's a limit to how much you can get in. Habitats are as close to closed systems as you can get. Everything in and out is monitored. Smuggling operations won't help you bring in stuff that can disrupt their operation. Unless you're just trying to get by on recycled hydrocarbons and petrochemicals, you'll need more than a recycler. And people will question where huge quantities of garbage go to, unless you're buying items to recycle yourself.

What the fuck are credits even backed by, anyway? Fiat currency is backed, much as we might like to think otherwise. The US dollar by its tax base, etc. Or is that another bit of EP economic bullshit?
>>
>>46281775

I think currently the Inner System Credit is based on the value of a single Qubit.
>>
>>46281834
Oh thank fuck. I remember the titanian kroner being pegged to qubits, but that means shit because pegging and backing aren't the same damn thing unless everyone agrees and there's no financial fuckery, incentive or problems.
>>
>>46281834
That's the Titanian Kroner. They never bother to mention what gives Inner System credits their value, but I assume it's mainly the willingness of Hypercorps and Lunar banks to accept them.

>>46281775
Not every hab is a police state where you'll be put in a camp for failing to account for every piece of trash. Just most of them
>>
>>46281946
Yes. But the ones that aren't tend to have few restrictions on cornucopia machines.
>>
Cred
The Fall devastated the global economies and currencies of the past. In the years of reconsolidation that followed, the hypercorps and governments inaugurated a new system-wide electronic monetary system. Called credit, this currency is backed by all of the large capitalist-oriented factions and is used to trade for goods and services as well for other financial transactions. Credit is mainly transferred electronically, though certified credit chips are also common (and favored for their anonymity). Hardcopy bills are even used in some habitats.
Depending on your background or faction, your character may be given an amount of credit at the start of the game. During game play, your character must earn credit the old-fashioned way: by earning or stealing it.
>>
>>46282058
So it's 'true' fiat currency, in that it's a single currency backed by everyone as an agreed unit of exchange. That's fucking stupid.
>>
>>46277452
>>46277354
>>46276955
Read it again, the 10x time frame is for neutrino comms, which are probably a lot slower on account of how hard it is to send a message with neutrinos. The bandwidth/throughput might be a lot smaller, or maybe they need to resend a lot. It doesn't apply to radio or laser link egocasting.

>>46280073
If you have a good blueprint, one, just use an expandable design. It's basically a vacuum box with a nanoscaffold in it, making one collapsible/expandable should be doable. it'll probably be bigger than normal when expanded though.

>>46281775
I think credit is a fiat currency backed by the economic juggernauts which support it, which somehow includes every capitalist faction. Honestly, it's really impressive that they managed to make a common currency post fall which included the Jovians.
>>
>>46278587
That's not a counterweight, it's the buffer tube - basically a large spring thing that makes the shooty parts bounce back where they are supposed to be for the next shot, and it's necessary because of how the AR shits where it eats. They're usually hidden inside the stock.
>>
File: Momovonsatan.png (852 KB, 853x527) Image search: [Google]
Momovonsatan.png
852 KB, 853x527
>>
>>46282674
>noguns in charge of weaponry

This.

The buffer tube is for example the reason why you don't see folding stocks on AR15s. There are alikes, such as the LR300, which have done away with that, or similar weapons, such as the M416, XM8, SCAR-L, ACR that don't have that setup, either.
>>
>>46283096
SILENCE COCK, I AM TRYING TO CONDUCT JOURNALISM HERE.

The ultimate expression of the present media course. Strong, beautiful women with pink hair and a big black cock for them to order around.
>>
>>46283338
>a big black cock for them to order around.
He looks pretty pale to me, friendo.
>>
>>46283380

He's clearly a nordic cock.

Just look at his viking hat.
>>
>>46274269
>Almost everybody voted for different factions
>Only ones with even the tiniest bit of consensus are Argonauts and Singularity Seekers
I wish I could say I was surprised, but I'm not.
>>
File: EPG.webm (3 MB, 854x480) Image search: [Google]
EPG.webm
3 MB, 854x480
>>46283585

Welcome to /epg/
>>
>>46283585
I wish we had more on asyncs, just because it's an unexplored venue for the seekers.

I mean, shit, my theory on them is that they're building metastructures itno the fabric of the universe when they develop a sleight. They weren't fully infected because they were cut off from the ETI's metastructures and now have to develop their own. But that's homebrew, so ultimately, bullshit. But something like that could give justification for them seeking infection.
>>
File: Trained Military 14.jpg (32 KB, 357x648) Image search: [Google]
Trained Military 14.jpg
32 KB, 357x648
>>
File: Momo von Satan.gif (1 MB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
Momo von Satan.gif
1 MB, 500x281
I think there should be more writefagging of eclipse phase factions' media and subculture, it seems both really important and sidelined by the more general faction politics
>>
File: scum news.png (37 KB, 1186x271) Image search: [Google]
scum news.png
37 KB, 1186x271
>>
How do we objectively, rationally prove whether or not an ego dies when they transfer to a new morph?
>>
>>46285878
we would have to define what we mean by dies
>>
>>46285878
You cant.
>>
>>46285978
>>46285987
But there has to be a way. Otherwise, Big Yud would be wrong, and he is never wrong!
>>
File: 1457649121504.jpg (80 KB, 960x782) Image search: [Google]
1457649121504.jpg
80 KB, 960x782
>>46285878
What is the death of a man?
With shells and stacks we know it is not the body or the soul.
Ergo it must be the death of the mind that marks the death of a man.
The mind remains intact when moved from one vessel to another and so there is no death when moving from one morph to another.
>>
File: 1452514244600.png (440 KB, 645x1260) Image search: [Google]
1452514244600.png
440 KB, 645x1260
>it's a consciousness debate in EP general episode
>>
>>46286539
Dude, shorten the rope. You'll decapitate yourself otherwise.
>>
>>46281775
This will be on Mars, so I think we're good.
>>
>>46285878
An ego does die with its brain, as it is the brain, and a new ego is nothing more than its copy; non-bio morphs aren't the ego at all but its skilful simulation. It's the only answer there is. However, it's important to note that it doesn't matter whether the ego lives or dies, as a good enough copy that is practically indistinguishable from the original should for all practical purposes be considered the original, and as for the ego itself, it only experiences the present, meaning that it's functionally nonexistent in the future anyway (which isn't actually the case, but since we're talking about personal experiences, it might as well be), so whether it lives or dies is of no difference to it… which could also be said for an ego that cannot resleeve. Ah, but such is the nature of life and death: both of these are meaningless for a cold, vast universe.

t. an /epg/ newfag
>>
>>46282674
It's both, actually
>>
File: 1452680623095.jpg (188 KB, 1064x983) Image search: [Google]
1452680623095.jpg
188 KB, 1064x983
>>46275233
> 5 gig HD porn video
I like how you specified that it's a porn video.
>>
>>46283624
Delta sleights are pretty easy to explain away as just being advanced algorithms stuck in your head
>>
>>46285878
First we decide what we want our answer to be.
Then we pick our axioms and define 'ego', 'death', and 'transfer' in such a way that it leads to that conclusion.
Then we write up our philosophy paper and submit for peer review.
>>
File: 1441975299918.jpg (68 KB, 555x628) Image search: [Google]
1441975299918.jpg
68 KB, 555x628
>>46286862
That's a good one.
>>
>>46287115
A bit cheeky, but also pretty serious. The mind is a made-up property/entity/whatever. What really happens is that if you arrange atoms and electrons in the right way stuff happens. If you want to go beyond that,

>>46280544
The desktop machine in the book has an internal volume 16% of its exterior volume. This is big enough to print in eighths. It's reasonable to assume that a considerably bigger model could have a much larger internal volume relative to its overall size. 50% might be reasonable for something on the one meter scale.

If we assume 50% internal volume is possible, an 80 cm x 100 cm x 120 cm CM could print copies of itself in two 60 cm x 80 cm x 100 cm halves. In fact, you could have additional modules (feed bins maybe?) attach to the exterior of that envelope as long as they fit in the dead space of the two printed halves.
>>
I want to come up with an EP-specific set of roles, because my players asked for advice. Shadowrun has the "face-hacker-infiltrator-mage", D&D has "damage-control-utility-healer", and so on. Can there be such a thing for EP?
>>
>>46287451
Sure? It is just blurry lines that are actually dense swarms of nanobots.
>>
Is there anything like Eclipse Phase, but without the postapocalyptic survival and cthulhu mythos bullcrap?
>>
>>46287451
You can mostly use Shadowrun's roles, swapping 'mage' for 'async'.

>>46287690
GURPS Transhuman Space.
>>
About to run a game, are there any ego/morph positive or negative traits that need to be rebalanced or that I should ask my players to not take?
>>
>>46287451
Transhuman Player's Guide suggests some character builds
>>
>>46287934
Psi Gamma to start with, until you're more familiar with the system. And consider removing neurachem. It doesn't make any sense anyway.
>>
>>46286589
Dude, just go into a resleeving clinic, it's basically the same thing anyway.
>>
>>46286738
Physicalists are weirdos who think individual atoms are special (they aren't), computationalism is the only viable theory of consciousness, and resleeving wouldn't be death under computationalism.
>>
>>46287934
Space Ship comes to mind. Murder Simulator Addict sucks for the cost, boosting it to make it give a bonus on all called shots is a good idea.
>>
>>46265372
40mm HE
They're not really dead as long as the stack is ok.
>>
>>46289016
Why space ship? It's just a black hole to throw CP into
>>
So, uh, where do I find the low gravity/zero gee combat rules?
>>
>>46287721
Well, Asyncs aren't half as crucial to a team as Shadowrun Mages are, but it works okay
>>
>>46286793

Even in 1080p, most movies aren't 5 gigs.
>>
>>46286795
...Delta sleights?

What? Where?
>>
>>46289875

Other than a brief note on adjusting weapon range for relative gravity, there are none specifically, just like there are no rules for high gravity beyond "for every so much gravity beyond your tolerance, take a penalty". Everything else is just logic.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.