[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So how's religion on a high fantasy middle east?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3
File: Sandsteppe-Citadel-MtG-Art.jpg (116 KB, 700x511) Image search: [Google]
Sandsteppe-Citadel-MtG-Art.jpg
116 KB, 700x511
So how's religion on a high fantasy middle east?
>>
>>46264234

Explosive.
>>
>>46264234
do some research on Zoroastrianism and Manichaeism. Wikipedia is as good a place to start as any.
Figure it out from there.
>>
>>46264234
Pre-Islamic Middle East/Persia was a pretty based place, aside from the slavery, which was a thing everywhere. And also different from the modern concept of slavery. Still.

Yeah, the Mongol's and later Islam basically shittified the middle east something fierce. Not even being /pol/ here, all down hill after Saladin
>>
>>46264234
Read up on Arianism and the niche theories that Islam was a heresy of Christianity

Syncretism either based on raelity or your own pidge podge gives just enough familiarity and exoticness to stimulate players.
>>
File: bene gesserit.jpg (26 KB, 685x532) Image search: [Google]
bene gesserit.jpg
26 KB, 685x532
>>46264234
Hand-tailored by a secretive order as a fallback in case one of their members was stranded in the area.
>>
>>46264726
that's irrelevant. fantasy isn't about making the best possible world. i find it hard to believe you couldn't pull together something interesting from 1000+ years of islamic history and culture.

that said, i'd probably go with manichaeism too, just because the premise of the whole religion already sounds like a high fantasy story waiting to happen.
>>
>>46264759
>niche theories

same god
share prophets

Islam is a heresy of Christianity is a heresy of Judaism is a heresy of local Syncretism
>>
>>46264234
Traditionally it tends to draw from arabic folklore.

Djinn, afrits and great cities lost in the desert populated by spirits.
>>
>>46264820
True in that sense, but is it really still a heresy if the majority of both parties recognize that they have diverged far enough to each be considered their own religions?

Religious groupings are after all arbitrary divisions based on consensus.
>>
>>46264759
>>46264820
do actual adult not know this?
>>
File: Kingdom of Heaven Saladin.jpg (36 KB, 637x480) Image search: [Google]
Kingdom of Heaven Saladin.jpg
36 KB, 637x480
>>46264726
Man, if real life Saladin was even half as cool as Ghassan Massoud's portrayal of him, I'd be amazed.

I'm on the lookout for the directors cut download, school bans torrenting. Can anyanon help?
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.