[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
RPGs for the blind.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4
File: 312px-Braille_closeup.jpg (9 KB, 312x207) Image search: [Google]
312px-Braille_closeup.jpg
9 KB, 312x207
I've been running a game with a few of my friends and my blind cousin and it got me thinking. Are there are RPGs that have books in Braille? The blind don't play as many video games or watch as many movies as the rest of us I feel POD braille copies of games could be a potential untapped market. That and I'm trying to find the guy a way to read the books independently to learn the ins and outs of the systems we use better.
>>
File: braillenote_overview_2.jpg (58 KB, 1170x382) Image search: [Google]
braillenote_overview_2.jpg
58 KB, 1170x382
>>46261817
PDFs and a refreshable braille display.
>>
>>46261954
Never heard of this, thanks.
>>
>>46261954
>>46262039
They expensive though.
>>
>>46262230
They start around $600 and go up to 6k. There isn't much of a market.
>>
>>46261817
Or just have audio versions.
>>
>>46261817
Don't know if they have adapted any RPGs yet but 64 Oz Games sell/ make accessibility kits and braille accessories.
>>
>>46262498
Being blind is expensive. My girlfriend is legally blind (she can sort of see stuff that's right in front of her face if she wears glasses thick enough to stop bullets), buying books for her is a fucking chore. You have to special order most of them, they take ages and ages to arrive and they cost a small fortune. They're also bigger and heavier than normal books for their size should be, so if it's a long book it's a fucking brick to carry.
>>
>>46265362
Have you considered getting a PDF and zooming in?
>>
>>46261954

This, PDF is the way to go. If the braille display is not an option they can still use a screenreader app with text-to-speech, usually set to some ridiculously fast setting to speed up reading.

The PDFs have to actually contain selectable/searchable text instead of just being poor quality scans though, and DRM might present issues too if it blocks the screenreader app.
>>
>tfw making adaptive technology for a living
>never even thought to combine my job with my hobby
I'm more of a MacGyver type though, I don't know what I could rig up that would be useful.
>>
As an anon in a similar position to >>46265362 's girlfriend, PDF and screenreader is the best bet. My braille display is... laggy and not good to be frank.

Even then, most screenreaders are horrible (though hearing the computer garble up names in my D&D books is pretty good).

What I ended up doing for GMing was brailling encounter cards, and committing everything else to memory. Got some 3D printed braille dice, too. The D8 isn't perfectly balanced, but they do well enough for my group.

My group wants to start Through the Breach, and I dread that.
>>
I'll bump this blindly.
>>
>>46267847
How do you lurk 4chan, anon?
>>
>>46267847
How do you fill out character sheets?

Actually, how do blind people write things down?
>>
File: MagicBlind_PIC3.jpg (2 MB, 2592x1936) Image search: [Google]
MagicBlind_PIC3.jpg
2 MB, 2592x1936
>>46270157
The same way this dude punches braille in card sleeves for his Magic cards.
>>
>>46271673
Goddamn that's looks extremely bothersome.
>>
>>46271707
HA! He had to be quick and invite a pal to read everything, yes. He even repeated the same words on french vanilla cards to balance it out and prevent cheating.

And still, I've played against a dude with one arm. ONE ARM! He shuffled his deck by tossing it against his chest and he was able to draw 7 cards at once! When playing a card he quickly flips it onto the table.

Say what you want about disabled people, they can be more impressive and friendly than most of the players I've met.
>>
>>46272117
I would have thought RPGs to be one of the most accessible social hobbies for someone who can't see. But imagining a screen reader droning through the creative layout of the majority of PDF rulebooks in bits and pieces seems tedious.
>>
>>46274125
Considering how insanely fast most braille readers can read, I imagine if you have the tech to get a digital reading set up, I imagine it wouldn't be too hard.
>>
>>46274125
I've never thought of it like that. In my mind it would go like this:

>You see a group of goblins ambushing you!
>I see?
>Er, you hear a group of goblins ambushing you!
>It's an ambush, I can't hear those.
>Er... you smell something odd.
>Is it goblins?
>Yes, they are ambushing you.
>But I already smelled them so I'm not surprized.
>...No tremorsense for you!
>>
>>46274434
Why would the character be blind?

And then it's really like having a practicing physician play the doctor in your campaign when you're not in medicine. It leads nowhere. Suspension of disbelief becomes a constant chore. I wouldn't do it.

What WOULD be interesting is a blind GM hosting a game of blind characters for seeing players.
>>
that's an interesting thought. I know sometimes I've had my hands occupied but my mind free and sincerely wished that some of the rpg rulebooks I have were actually audiobooks. I know it's not the same thing, but audiobooks might be an easier sell on publishers, idk.
>>
>>46274519
Well, if the character isn't blind then narrating how a goblin looks like: 'A little man with a long nose, ears and a green skin.' might confuse the player as he might've never known the color green, or the something moon-shaped or that he saw a spectral image of a ghost. There's no frame of reference.

On the other hand, if my character was blind I could choose to be a warlock, take a Sprite familliar and look through it's eyes while it remains invisible.

Oh and cast Darkness. Lots of Darkness.
>>
>>46274675
No, son.

You cast Magic Missile AT the darkness.
>>
>>46274675
I would assume that even though a person is blind, they'd probably still recognize what the words for different colours mean, even if they might have no real concept of what the colours represent.
>>
>>46275379
Good point. I bet that poetry is liking a painting for them.
>>
File: Black-Book-of-Colors.jpg (46 KB, 500x324) Image search: [Google]
Black-Book-of-Colors.jpg
46 KB, 500x324
>>46275379

Plus there's stuff like this as well.
Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.