[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So Dystopian Wars is getting new Fast Play rules called 'Dystopian
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4
File: The-Battle-For-Iceland.jpg (446 KB, 900x700) Image search: [Google]
The-Battle-For-Iceland.jpg
446 KB, 900x700
So Dystopian Wars is getting new Fast Play rules called 'Dystopian Wars: Fleet Action.'

Anyone on /tg/ play DW? What do you guys think? I'm a fan of the models, but I've never had the chance to play it.
>>
File: IMAG0275.jpg (678 KB, 1344x760) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0275.jpg
678 KB, 1344x760
Yes, there are about three DW players on /tg/ in total- me, one guy who said it was nice to see my models, and probably one other anon.

As for Fleet Action, yeah, I'm pretty interested. DW does take a little too long to play and has a few rules quirks I don't like (like boarding, which is a fucking mess). Since it's just a new rule set, and sounds as though it will be fairly similar to DW- DR, exploding dice, linking fire etc. and won't have its own line of models, it shouldn't trigger Spartan's ADHD too hard.
>>
At the very least I will be keen to have a look. Whether I like it or not will depend on how much they streamline the rules.
>>
File: DW EOBS Army.jpg (476 KB, 1196x909) Image search: [Google]
DW EOBS Army.jpg
476 KB, 1196x909
>>46259451
I really like Dystopian Wars, I've got 3 fleets and 2 armies. However, a 1000 point game takes me about 4-5 hours to play and I get at least two rules completely wrong each game.

A fast play variant sounds appealing.
>>
If it's anything like Armoured Clash, it shouldn't be too bad. Armoured Clash was a great game for a dinnertime at school, really fast and brutal, but still tactical.

It is sad that the games don't have a good tg following though, I really enjoyed it when I had people to play.
>>
>>46263707
We get threads occasionally, but they mainly consist of "yeah, it's good, pity about spartan ignoring stuff for so long, wish more people played". Maybe if we actually talked about the game, it might help.

>>46263669
If anything, I'm looking forward to a rulebook that isn't 90% in bold with three pages to explain single sentence concepts.
>>
>>46259451
Halo ground is being released this summer. Let's play the "spot the dead on arrival spartan game" again...it's not going to be Halo.
>>
>>46264267
>"The Fleet Action rules are quicker to play than the core rules, but use the same highly detailed models that Dystopian Wars is renowned for. Order the new rules for a fast play game with your existing models."

>Literally alternate rules for DW
>Explicitly no models independent from DW
>Thinking it's going to be in competition with muh spacemen.
>>
>>46264712
You know what new rules need? New stats. Firestorm Taskforce has been out for a month, and nothing beyond the initial starter boxes has been statted out. I can bet you that nothing more will be until they re-release (again) the other core 6 models too. Which means the game is practically unplayable as it has three units per side total for the forseeable future. It'll end up in the same place as Armored Crash.
>>
>>46264816
Well, the entire community throwing a fit seemed to work last time. The fact that Armada was a pretty good ruleset probably helps it be less of an issue, while DW has a notorious reputation for being slow as fuck, so quick-play is much more needed.
>>
>>46265040
Unless 2.0 broke the game completely, I could easily fit two games of DW into one of FA of the same point size.
>>
>>46265149
I just know the rules are better laid out and less full of random bold words, not that FA is any faster.

DW 2.0 was notably faster than 1.1, mainly because of TFTs/SAS being not totally ass-backwards.
>>
>>46259451
Could be fun.

I have chinese for both land and sea, so I hope they will get rules for fleet action
>>
Dystopian Legion is the best ruleset Spartans ever made
>>
>>46265631
Too bad hardly anyone plays though.
>>
>>46266143
Why would you when you can play literally any other skirmish game?
>>
>>46266143
Yea, thats a shame..

>>46266943
Pretty much this.

While DL is a great game. Its really only worth it if you like the setting.

Otherwise there are tons of simmilar games
>>
>>46265256
>DW 2.0 was notably faster than 1.1, mainly because of TFTs/SAS being not totally ass-backwards.
Nah, much simpler reason.
Fractions are always rounded up, over multiple stages of dicepool determination.
Shit dies much faster.
>>
>>46259451
I'm more of a Firestorm guy but I'm looking forward to trying some games with that equivalent. I love me some spaceships but my friends are oblivious of any kind of tabletop that isn't Magic. I need something simple but fun they can try and like fuck am I playing X-Wing.
>>
>>46264816
Can you even buy a Taskforce rulebook?
>>
Somehow, I'm okay with the fact that Microsoft is going to push Spartan to put shit out, even though their other games will suffer for it.
I don't even care that 343 is in on this. I just want good looking 15mm Spartans.
>>
File: IMAG0155.jpg (580 KB, 1344x760) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0155.jpg
580 KB, 1344x760
>>46268565
Apparently not. At least, not without buying a £40 box. Fleet Action already has a rulebook listed separate from the starter box for £7.50. I already have a shit ton of DW stuff, so I'll probably give it a punt.

>>46268413
Doesn't that tale sound familiar. I actually have a Firestorm starter fleet, but I haven't played because I can't go trying to get my club into another Spartan game when I already try and push DW on them.
>>
>>46268413
Xwing is actually good and -fun-, is supported and has a pretty large player base.

So basically, all the reasons why you as a grog should stay away from it and stick to ded game generals.
>>
>>46269222
>babbys first wargame
>shitty overpriced pre-painted models
>movement by cardboard sticks
>dice with no numbers

fun is a buzzword
>>
>>46269222
>>46264267
Why do people do this? Come into other games' threads just to go HURR MY GAME'S BETTER UR GAME IS DED?
>>
>>46269021
I have seen those Covenants here before.

The red looks fucking awesome!
Thread replies: 26
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.