[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30
File: 1fztog.jpg (77 KB, 330x497) Image search: [Google]
1fztog.jpg
77 KB, 330x497
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

What are the best and worst classes to play in Curse of Strahd?
>>
>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
>>
>>46250409
I would argue GOO Warlock from a flavor standpoint because it's not that kind of horror and Ranger from a mechanical standpoint for worst classes.
>>
Reading AD&D Ravenloft, do you think it would be fun to have the "Power's Check" in the 5e CoS?
>>
>>46250580
Can you elaborate? I have heard this mentioned in regards to Death House and making a sacrifice, but I don't know what it is or how it works.
>>
>>46250443

This damn thing kills all discussion here.
>>
>>46250659

Then go in there and discuss.
>>
>>46250659
/5eg/ seems to be the same amount of discussion to shitposting it's always been.
>>
>>46250645
Well, whenever the PC purposefully does an evil act or aligns with evil forces they (or DM) roll a percentile dice.

On 100 (or 95-100 for truly heinous acts), they attract the attention of the dark powers. There are 6 Stages and at each stage the PC gets a Reward from the Dark Powers but also a Punishment. At the 6th Stage they become a Dark Lord of their own land and become an NPC

In CoS, at the Amber Temple, the PCs can choose to enter into pacts with certain Dark Powers and gain rewards and punishments, but I like the more global and gradual effect of the Powers Check
>>
>>46250936

Too lazy anon. Too lazy.
>>
Alright I have a question regarding the Amber Temple in CoS. I know one of my players will do this if it is possible, and I'm fine with it if the rules allow it, but, Can someone make pacts with multiple, or ALL, of the Vesitges trapped in the sarcophagi?
>>
What would you think of Invocations for specific pacts?
>Undying warlocks get access to Animate Dead 1/short rest
>Fiend warlocks get the Old Black Magic spells 1/day
>>
File: 1429501284576.jpg (84 KB, 720x520) Image search: [Google]
1429501284576.jpg
84 KB, 720x520
This month's survey is up: http://dnd.wizards.com/articles/features/dd-survey-march-2016

>At this stage, we’ve begun considering what the first, major mechanical expansion to the game might look like.

What do you expect to see in such an expansion? What do you *want* to see? Will splat hounds continue to be piss babies over 5e's "lack of options" no matter what we get?
>>
>>46250222
>>46250470
Thanks guys.

The first session is going to be generic "meet in a bar" into a kidnapping rescue against cultists using bandits as a front kinda scenario. I've fleshed the surrounding world out to some level too in case the players want to go exploring before taking the plot hook so It won't be railroaded massively and I've taken steps to avoid the other stuff mentioned so I should be good to go I guess. I know i'm asking a lot but if there's any further recommendations you guys have I'd appreciate it. I'm really excited for getting this rolling and don't want to fuck it up.
>>
>>46251047
It doesn't say you can't, but it's impossible to both be a vampire and a lich.
>>
>>46251157
Open to the idea, but let's be honest:
The Old Black Magic spells are awful.
>>
>>46251157
That sounds like it could be fun, if a little difficult to balance. Expands the versatility of the lock without having to actually expand the base spell list or the expanded spell lists of the patrons.
>>
>>46251183
I didn't think of those two conflicting, though it makes sense. As for the rest, I guess at least one of my players is bound to become an eldritch abomination who sold his soul to multiple malevolent entities. Sick.
>>
>>46251225
Shadow demon is worth it.
>>
>>46251244
You become an NPC under the control of the DM for like all of those though, right? Are you letting them retain control? Usually this question answers itself in the form of "well they aren't pcs anymore so they wouldn't make the silly decision"
>>
>>46251225
OBM spells are actually quite powerful, but risky. If you're a conjuration wizard, dropping a 8th-level Conjure Lesser Demon gives you 32 minions who all get +30 hp.
>>46251232
Glad to know someone else likes the idea!
>>
>>46251165
>What do you expect to see in such an expansion?
Prestige classes, a rebuilt Ranger, full rules for the mystic
>What do you *want* to see?
Expanded naval/siege rules, more Warlock invocations, an absence of the fucking Satire bard.
Will splat hounds continue to be piss babies over 5e's "lack of options" no matter what we get?
Of course.
>>
>>46251047
They can get the Dark Gift from as many vestiges as they want, but all punishments are cumulative and they need to make a DC 12 CHA save every time or they become evil NPCs
>>
>>46251349
>Prestige classes
They shelved the idea for the foreseeable future. Iirc it was like a 60/40 split with the majority not liking the idea of prestige classes in 5e at all.
>>
>>46251257
>>46251339
I didn't say they weren't worth it or powerful.

My group didn't find them interesting. I ended up giving them back their spell choices.
>>
>>46251165
>What do you *want* to see?
WARLOCK INVOCATIONS
Mystic and a well-done prestige class could be cool too.
>>
>>46251165
How about some fucking attention to Ranger
>>
>>46251371
I'm more than a little relieved by this.
>>
>>46251390
Ah, okay.
I normally play wizards so I just collect every spell I can.
>>
File: fiend expanded list.png (257 KB, 430x264) Image search: [Google]
fiend expanded list.png
257 KB, 430x264
What're your opinions on allowing Warlocks to automatically gain the spells in their expanded list, similar to the Cleric's domain spells or the Druid's circle spells?
>>
>>46251528
It's a big buff to a class whose greatest weakness is their lack of versatility. I'd force them to give up armor and weapon proficiencies, and maybe drop to a d6 hit dice.
>>
>>46251562
>making bladelock even more useless
Shiggy diggy.
>>
>>46251562
Don't be a cunt
>>46251528
My fix for Warlocks
>automatically learn language associated with patron
>automatically learn spells from expanded list
>invocation spells are 1/rest instead of using a spell slot
>>
>>46251165
More archetypes
>>
>>46251620
>>46251653
Alright, sorry about that. Warlock already seemed quite strong, and I wasn't sure how to add this feature in a balanced way. Sorry for the That Guy moment.
>>
Any advice for players who have Monty Haul DM's?

My DM's is usually pretty great, but he has a glaring weakness for players doing anything that either fleshes out his world or rule of cool. Unfortunately, what this means is that players can get magic items at level 2 or 3 by killing magical beasts and skinning them, or by pandering to a few of his favorite tropes when crafting an item.
An example of this is allowing us to skin a Blink Dog and make armor or cloaks out of it and gain it's abilities. He'd probably let you get away with some game-breaking shit like auto-flanking attacks or ranged melee strikes if you'd fluff it enough, such as adding Blink Dog leather and running it along your sword's blade, or making the bowstring of a bow out of it's intestines.
He claims this will all be balanced out with harder bosses, but we've steamrolled everything thrown at us so far and I'm honestly a bit worried that this is going to be the trend.
>>
>>46251528

I'm always a fan of making classes more appealing for players. I like seeing my players get stoked to play something.
>>
Is this a good way to progress as a Battle Master? Race is Minotaur from Warterborne Races. I'm going for the Polearm+Sentinal thing. The other two party members are a rogue and some other fighting type character that I forget.

Maneuvers at 3rd lvl:
-Riposte
-Precision attack (honestly not super against swapping this for something else.)
-Distracting Strike (for allies)
-Evastive Footwork (For when I face a boss and think I'll need some extra ac)
-Goading Attack (for allies)

4th lvl feat: Martial Adept (to give me those above two maneuvers and extra dice and shit)

6th lvl feat: Sentinal

Maneuvers at 7th lvl:
-Trip Attack (for allies benefit)
-Rally (for healing purposes. No cleric, its also a dark sun setting so magic is Bad Mmkay)

8th lvl feat: Polearm Master

Maneuvers at 10th lvl:
-Commander's Strike (To help rogue when he comes into his own)
-Pushing attack (Might be able to cheese this with the 'cant com towards me, cant disengage' combo of menacing att later.)

12th lvl feat: Great Wep Master

Maneuvers at 15th lvl:
-Sweeping Attack (probably a lot of hordes at that point, knowing my dm)
-Menacing att (went with this last because being scary makes more sense at higher levels)

Probably gonna dump into attributes after that or get Tough.

Thinking MAYBE I should swap rally with precision attack, or put pushing attack and menacing attack closer together.
>>
File: god respects silence.jpg (202 KB, 730x1100) Image search: [Google]
god respects silence.jpg
202 KB, 730x1100
>>46251692
>Warlocks
>strong
>>
>>46251718
I'd recommend asking him to grab monsters from Fifth Edition Foes (in the link below), with special attention to cadavers, fen witches, witch grass, spectral trolls, and slithering trackers. All of these are low-CR monsters with incredibly potent tricks up their sleeves.

https://mega.nz/#F!7IoTjBib!Kb-rLv2KYNEq2pNtVd8jMg
>>
File: jvYvNFs.jpg (112 KB, 807x1023) Image search: [Google]
jvYvNFs.jpg
112 KB, 807x1023
>>46251718

Dude... it's like you're looking into my future. You just described my downfall as a DM.
>>
>>46251806
So warlocks are weak? Huh, must have misread the class quite a lot. Then I'll probably just let them auto-know patron spells and languages associated with patron.

That'd be Sylvan for Fey, Deep Speech for GOO, Abyssal and/or Infernal for Fiend, Celestial for Undying Light, and... what do Undying patrons speak? Draconic, maybe? It's popular among magi...
>>
>>46251311
It says they have to make Cha saves or turn evil, and then the evil character may become a NPC at the DM's discretion. I'd be in favor of letting them keep the character.
>>
>>46251803
You don't really need Martial Adept that much. You're going to want to raise your Strength to 18 or 20 at least.
>>
>>46251876
You could let Undying choose any language
>>
>>46251904
I'm going to let them maintain control (unless lich or vampire) UNLESS they fail like 2-3
>>
>>46251803
Precision attack can be good for when you really need an attack to hit, great with GWM so you can get the extra damage more reliably.

Goading is pretty much just a worse version of Menacing.

Distracting gives advantage once, while tripping gives advantage to any melee attacks until it stands back up, including any of your own attacks which you'll have quite a few of.

Dunno how well no ASIs until past level 12 will go, having a decent strength score is pretty important for just hitting people competently.
>>
>>46251967
Makes sense, as it's already the weakest patron.
>>
>>46251807
Biggest problem is convincing him to use them though, or just getting him to raise the encounter difficulty. He sent a CR4 monster against a party of 8 Level 2s and expected it to be a challenge.

To get an even better idea of how far my DM will go if you make an interesting idea, he was willing to let me home brew an entire alternate magic system (based of Wuxia movies) that only my character would know, because he liked my character concept that much. All I had to do was pitch the spells to him before adding them to my spell sheet.
>>
What class/archtype would you guys reccoment for a single hand blade user with a repeater crossbow secondary weapon? We are treating the repeater as a normal crossbow with more shots between reloads and slightly reduced damage.
>>
>>46252099
Assassin Rogue.
>>
>>46252099
Swashbuckler Rogue multiclassing with Battlemaster fighter. Take the Crossbow master feat.
>>
>>46252099
Duelist Fighter
>>
Has anyone run Suits of the Mists? It's an Adventurer's Leave module. I'm considering running it, or parts of it, as an intro to CoS for my group to give them a level or two before theu get into things.
>>
>>46252072
Has he read the encounter building section in the DMG?
>>
>>46252162
>>46252166
>>46252167

Different anon here, do you think this is feasible to pull off as a Palidin?
>>
>>46251165
I want to see an Advanced Faggotry Handbook with character options like undead races, classes and archetypes that revolve around having minions (beastmaster rangers, summoners, necromancers, enchanters). I want to see options that give some kind of mechanical benefit to heterochromia and having a literal fairy godmother. And a character archetype that revolves around self-cutting.
>>
>>46252202
You could, but you're giving up a lot by not going two-handed.
>>
>>46252269
>badwrongfun
>>
>>46252202
You can sneak attack and/or use maneuvers at range. You can't do that with smites, son.
>>
>>46252196
I'd assume so. Like I said earlier, he's claiming that this is just the training wheels and shit is going to get intense later on, but when one of our characters just got a magic bracer that allows him to teleport his arrows after they've been shot (from the aforementioned blink dog), I'm worried about how much a difficulty spike can fix that.
I mean, that's the type of item that lasts an entire game. There's no point in any universe when that will not be useful, and that was from the first magical beast we've encountered.

It's like the 3.5 Druid problem all over again. Any special ways he has of countering those items will just be slaughtered and stolen to make more powerful items.
>>
>>46251528
It doesn't break anything at all, and warlocks need a few more advantages.

>>46251562
They tend to suck in total castable spells too, without a truly unreasonable amount of short rests.
>>
>>46251165
>What do you want?
Full release of the Mystic class.
>>
File: Bladelock fiddling v2.png (201 KB, 336x543) Image search: [Google]
Bladelock fiddling v2.png
201 KB, 336x543
Bladelock fiddling guy here with "v2"
We did more fiddling, please report concerns.
>>
>>46252758
Just give Bladelock an Invocation like the Eldritch Knights War Magic
>>
>>46252758
>mirror fighters four attacks as a cantrip that scales regardless of class
Way to not address the problem and create a new one. And if you really wanted a pact of the blade cantrip, it should allow you to take EB too.
>>
>>46252758
Great, now I can make a 1 level dip into Warlock in order to get a Fighter's level features. There's no way this will be bad.
>>
>>46252878
>>46252841
please actually read it before commenting

There's also the unwritten (but implied) assumption that ES is only attainable by picking the Pact, as it doesn't mention adding it to lock's spell list any way other than taking the pact.
>>
>>46252936
"Prerequisite: Pact of the Blade feature"
>>
File: 1409526569243.jpg (94 KB, 773x768) Image search: [Google]
1409526569243.jpg
94 KB, 773x768
>10 War Cleric
>5 Vengeance Paladin
>5 War Cleric
>9th lvl spell slots
>3 attacks
>8th lvl cleric spells
>Find Steed
>Misty Step
>Smite
>Vow of Enmity

Why is this a bad idea?
>>
>>46252992
Yeah, I'll add that to the cantrip.
>>
>>46252936
Wew, level 3 then. Great, I'll get the rest of the good shit from the horrifingly-frontloaded Warlock Class, then slide outta there in time to not miss any of the best shit from other classes.
>>
>>46253041
Why aren't you taking EB? It does more damage at that level and only requires level 2 for maximum effectivity, and doesn't require you to use CHA.
>>
>>46250011
I mean bard trading Full Casting for a greater array of non-spellcasting class abilities (maybe a bit of rogue or BM stuff with new songs), that said on a RP level, I tend to be very sparing of my spell slots whenever I play a bard, which comes in handy when we really need those spells and our "smart" caster players blew half of them on a single orc.

Maybe I'm just jealous of panache
>>
>>46252936
Ok fine, I'll grant you it's only three attacks and you need to reach 3rd instead of just 1st. But it's still too much for too little, the pallock is even more ridiculous this way.

How about a later game invocation that allows an extra attack with a pact weapon per round, similar to haste?
>>
>>46253083
>and doesn't require you to use CHA.
scratch that, that's wrong. wasn't thinking.
>>
So is a Dex-Barbarian a viable thing to do?
Im thinking of playing a Barb 8 / Rogue X
>>
>>46253207
Dex based attacks don't get the rage damage bonus, so it's largely pointless. You can go rogue-barbarian but it needs to be strength based, wielding rapiers.
>>
how do you guys feel about the eldritch knight?

solid class? pointless? kinda want to make one
>>
>>46251165
>What do you expect to see in such an expansion?

Warlord , Psion/Mystic, and Totemist as base classes. Maybe a Summoner, too, since the beast conjuring playstyle is one of the things 5e just isn't doing well.

BIG push for more archetypes for the classes that got shafted, since it's absurd that most get two while the Wizard currently has ten. Get every class up to a minimum of four archetypes (counting PHB ones, of course). Add support for all archetypes (more totems, maneuvers, metamagic, etc).

Give every class of weapon a feat, just like Polearm Master.

Round out the elemental selection in spells so that things like Acid Dragon Sorcerors don't suck so much. Also, try to focus more on INT, STR, and CHA saves rather than making everything about the big three.
>>
>>46253282
I know that rage damage doesnt get added.
Does the huge defense boost out way to damage loss?
>>
Is thieves tools and a reliable skill monkey the only reason to have a rogue in the party? Outside of autocrit surprise, their damage output is awful
>>
>>46253300
I find that spells rarely come up unless I want to lightning lash to get an enemy off a squishy, or to cast shield; but I'm only level 6
>>
>>46253319
If you really want to stick to dex, just go for three levels barb for reckless attack to get sneak attack anytime and bear totem so rage actually does something useful.

>>46253328
Basically, but other classes aren't going to quite match the skill monkeying and only a bard will get you expertise.
>>
>>46253391
I think at level 7 you get war magic or something where you can cast a cantrip then also attack
>>
>>46253328
Considering the only skill monkeys that approach Rogue are Bard (one skill less, no thieves' kit, expertise) and Ranger (one skill less, has another mildly useful kit instead of thieves' tools, no expertise), it's not like a skill monkey is worthless.

Spells that imitate skills are extremely limited.
>>
>>46252286
>>46252322
Reason I was asking was because I wanted to roll a Vengence Palidin, hoping I could pull off an inquisitor-style character :(
>>
>>46253573
Just do a paladin with some appropriate skills, you don't need to be a rogue.
>>
>>46253534
Also, Rogues are the only ones who can get Expertise in thieves' tools. Bards cannot take it even if they have the proficiency.
>>
>>46253590
I'm not trying to go for Rogue, just thought building a pistol+sword wielding character sounded cool after reading about Oath of Vengeance

Also this is my first time building a 5e character
>>
>>46252758
Tower's still white, Anon.
>>
File: POWERS CHECK.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
POWERS CHECK.pdf
1 B, 486x500
Rate and hate Powers Check for CoS 5e
>>
File: image.jpg (72 KB, 560x272) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
72 KB, 560x272
spells to steal as a valor bard?
>>
File: Bladelock Fiddling v3.png (212 KB, 343x543) Image search: [Google]
Bladelock Fiddling v3.png
212 KB, 343x543
Bladelock V3 fiddling.
Changes: Ripped out some of the progression in the Cantrip, put it into an invocation. Unfortunately this now needs 2 invocations to be about damage on-par with Eldritch Bolt, but at least you have a slight push? And people can't dip 3 levels and get a bunch.

Making an invo for war magic is decent, but I want something that makes the warlock less dependent on MCing or needing an abundance of Strength, if they desire. Plus, that turns him mostly into a guy that just taps with his weapon, and then bolts for most of his damage. Not very blade focused.

>>46253950
That doesn't mean what you think it means.
>>
>>46252286
Is it a bad idea to go single blade with an open hand in general?
>>
>>46253875
Oath of Vengeance, either Urchin or Criminal as a Background. The main issue is if you wanted to go all in for the rogue shit, your best possible build for this is a dex paladin (rapier and a ranged weapon), but unless it's been errataed, Paladins can only multiclass with high strength.
>>
>>46254072
It's pretty much just a worse version of 1hander+shield.
>>
>>46254072
Do you have spells with somatic components, do you have a feat or a class feature that gives you an advantage going single-weapon fighting. If not, ideally, it's a bit suboptimal, which doesn't mean it can't be fun considering the difference between suboptimal is 1 point of damage in 5e vs dying horribly in 3e.
>>
>>46254114
What if I use a net in one hand or something like that, I wanted to do the whole one hander thing but not if it gimps you.
>>
File: 1455597330505.jpg (112 KB, 640x360) Image search: [Google]
1455597330505.jpg
112 KB, 640x360
>tfw my group is going to disband and I don't think I will be able to play for a while
oh well
>>
>>46254132
Alright, I haven't played D&D in a long time so I'm not fully accustomed to 5e, thought I was gonna get screwed over.
>>
>>46254016
>If you already know Eldritch Blast, replace it with Eldritch Strike.
For what reason?

>you can push the creature 5 feet in any direction.
All you need to say is push 5 feet, otherwise you're just sliding it, which is honestly kinda weird.
>>
>>46254141
That depends on what weapon you use in your other hand. One-handers are generally for when you want to use a shield, when you want to use two-weapon fighting, or when a class feature or ability forbids you from using a two-handed weapon.

Note that you can't use two-weapon fighting with ranged weapons like the net.
>>
>>46254095
I see. I had read about Close Quarters Shooter fighting style available to Palidins and wanted to see if I could build a character around that
>>
How do you handle artifacts in your campaigns, DMs?
>>
>>46254249
>For what reason?
To prevent a person from getting both a really good melee cantrip and a really good blasting cantrip. Feels like it might be too good at that point. You're giving up your ranged might for melee might, unless you're willing to dip into your spell slots.

>Slide
Yeah, it's a slide. I was just avoiding the word to avoid triggering anybody, and I haven't seen it used in 5e anywhere else - just "push" and "pull". The fluff would basically just be a shove/pushback as result of an onslaught of an attack, or something. It's inspired by the Repelling Blast, but since it's any direction I just halved it, and it's still once/turn.
>>
Hi, new into 5e guy here, been on /tg/ for a long time but never bothered to read this general because I never played 5e till now.

Small question, I'm a caster, and I have spellcasting focus...how do I cast spells? I mean:
Spell has Somatic and Material components and I have spellcasting focus in one hand and the other is occupied with a weapon. Can I cast it?
Spell has Material only components and I have spellcasting focus in one hand and the other is occupied with a weapon. Can I cast it?
Spell has Verbal only components and I have spellcasting focus in one hand and the other is occupied with a weapon. Can I cast it?

Is kinda hard to understand the spellcasting focii rules.
>>
>>46254332
Paladins generally revolve around novas using their Smites, which can only be applied on melee weapon attacks. Funnily enough, this means you can't Smite with unarmed strikes either.
>>
>>46254342
They are either practically unattainable or the focus of the campaign.
>>
>>46254288
I was kinda hoping having one free hand would allow me to have more control of my blade like higher hit chance or better chances for evasive maneuvers or grapples.
>>
what page of the dmg/phb talks about spell scrolls?
>>
>>46254422
An unarmed strike is still a melee weapon attack, see the errata.
>>
>>46254458
You do need a free hand to grapple.
>>
>>46254353
I don't see the sense in punishing a melee warlock for choosing that option. Remember you're basically away the warlocks only ranged option.
>>
>>46254371
Spellcasting foci are not ever relevant unless you cast a spell with a material component, in which case you do not need to provide those components unless they have a listed cost.

I can't quite remember, but you may also be able to cast somatic spells with a hand otherwise occupied with a focus. Hopefully someone can help confirm or deny this point.
>>
>>46254472
DMG 200
>>
>>46254489
You're right. My bad.
>>
>>46254371
Yes, Yes, and Yes, in that order.

Focus replaces Material component.
You can use the same hand for Somatic as you do Material.

Third example is irrelevant, you do not need to have a free hand for Verbal only spells.

You could not, however, cast a spell that had Somatic and Vocal only with your hand occupied by a focus. Put the focus away and you're just fine though.
>>
>>46254523
thank you, Dylan
>>
>>46254502
They still have Chill Touch and some spell slots (although, yeah, they're very few) so they aren't totally without ranged. It's more of just a trade-off to get easier, stronger melee power that uses charisma.
But I did write that part back when Eldritch Strike had Eldritch Bolt tier scaling (4 attacks and whatnot), so it might not entirely be necessary anymore.
>>
>>46254555
Ok, thanks, the last one meant to be Somatic only, but you already answered that too. So basically spellcasting focus only work for V,S,M and V,M and M spells, in any cases with V,S or S I need a free hand.
>>
>>46254646
Glad I could help, anon.
>>
>>46254624
Look, it's a poor deal unless you were turning the warlock into some kind of melee combat monster, and even then you'd be screwed over here and there. The opportunity cost of the pact itself and investing with invocations is plenty.
>>
>>46254132
Wait, so would wielding a two-handed weapon prevent me from casting spells with somatic components?
>>
File: 1445753696579.jpg (22 KB, 200x199) Image search: [Google]
1445753696579.jpg
22 KB, 200x199
>tfw group is falling apart because of a guy's GF not liking how things are DM'd (her not getting special treatment) and guy's sister gets "bored" after thirty minutes
>no replacements for those three in the foreseeable future

I hate gaming with couples and their family.
>>
>>46254724
No, and this has been addressed in sage advice. You can take one hand off the hilt or haft, and HOLD the weapon without wielding it to cast, then return your hand to it when attacking. Taking a hand on or off of a 2 handed or versatile weapon requires no action and is not considered an item interaction.
>>
>>46254724
You can just take one of your hands off the weapon to cast.
>>
>>46254724
You can hold a two-handed weapon in one hand when not actively attacking with it. That said, if, for some reason, you don't want to take the second hand off, then yes, you wouldn't be able to perform the somatic components.
>>
>>46254754
>group is falling apart because of a guy's GF not liking how things are DM'd (her not getting special treatment)
I think you're playing with That Girl.
>>
>>46254768
>>46254772
>>46254780
Note that you'll be without your weapon for any attack of opportunity that arises before your next turn.
>>
>>46254768
>>46254772
That's what I thought, but I'm new to D&D and the post made me worry that I may have misread something. That would be a really stupid thing to be mistaken about in the middle of a battle.
>>
>>46253954
A-anyone
>>
>>46254624
Okay, think about it thusly: I'm not letting a Fighter have a ranged and a melee weapon because I want the Fighter to have stronger, easier melee power that uses Strength/Dexterity.

Doesn't that sound stupid? It's not even like a Bladelock doesn't also have to invest in Dex or Str for their defenses, so you're not making them SAD.
>>
>>46253954
Pretty cool. The biggest problem is the formatting, so it's very well thought-out.
>>
charsheet anon here. Has anyone done any field testing of the sheets? Any problems you've come across, or things that are inconvenient?

Personally, I found it pretty annoying that CoS likes to use EP for Strahd's own local currency.
>>
>>46253954
>Stage 2 punishment turns you into a furry
oh god no pls I'm sorry
>>
>>46255045
That's why its a punishment
>>46255016
We don't really care about fancy backgrounds and font do we come on
>>
Newish DM here. A player in my game (someone I did not know previously) is a pen and paper veteran, and it was brought to my attention that he has been fudging his rolls. What is the best way to confront him about it? He is friends with 2 of the other players, so I don't want to break up the group over it, but I am also not going to look the other way about it.
>>
>>46255353
Sit right next to him at the table
>>
>>46255368
I will if it comes down to that, but I am not looking to catch him in the act and call him out during play. I want to handle it outside of the game, but I wanted to see if anyone here had experience with this sort of shenanigans.
>>
>>46255353
Request that everyone roll towards the center of the table where everyone can see. If you don't want to directly accuse him, say something like "It'll be way more exciting if we can all see it tilt between 20 and 2!"
>>
>>46255415
If you sit right next to him then he will stop fudging
>>
>>46255353
>>46255415
Well, confirm it with your own eyes, if you haven't already.

Then, just talk to him about it.
>>
>>46255556
>>46255435
>>46255422

Would it be better to talk to him directly, or address the group as a whole with something like "it's been brought to my attention that some of you guys might be fudging rolls, etc etc" to keep it more anonymous (though I would also be making a deal about it to the group as a whole, when not everyone is privy to the fudging)? It is a group of 7 players btw, so making sure he sits next to me every week would be kind of a pain, not to mention obvious that I find him problematic, and thus I would much rather nip it in the bud.

fuck man, I just don't get why player feel they have to fudge rolls. kills the fun for everyone at the table.
>>
>>46255707
I fudge rolls in my current campaign because our new DMs stated purpose is "to kill you" and he regularly has us fight creatures half a dozen CR above what we should only for DMPCs to appear and save the day

do you do this
>>
>>46254342
Tools and items of great import, that beings of great import use.
>>
>>46255763
No, I don't. I am running CoS straight from the book. It was our first session doing Death House, and they fought the animated armor and the nursemaid specter. Both enemies rolled last on initiative. The armor got one turn (missed both slams) and the specter was killed before it took its turn. And two of the 7 players were not present that night. Literally none of them have taken damage, it baffles me that he is already fudging rolls. I have not made any threats to kill the party. The only thing I have said regarding difficulty is that areas of CoS will not scale to their level, and can be potentially deadly if they skip over a lot of content.
>>
>>46255900
Oh well then just watch him unblinking while he rolls and sit next to him
>>
>>46250580
Yes, absolutely. You can even just use them as-is from the AD&D book. Fear/Horror/Madness checks would need to be changed to like... Int, Wis, and Cha saves maybe, but that's it.
>>
>>46256199
>as is
Well I went through and changed most of them to be more 5e like
>>
>>46252048
>Undead just fucking ignore you
>Weak
>>
>>46253950
I have no idea what this is supposed to mean.
>>
>>46256199
AD&D's powers check seem more forgiving than later implementations. Which is kinda ironic.
>>
>>46256299
No, undead ignore you for one round - whenever they try to attack you and only you - after which they can roll again the next time they attack, and only half the time on average. The other half, they're immune to the effect for a day.

Clearly far too powerful. Needs a nerf, yep.
>>
>>46256333
Ivory tower I think
>>
>>46256270
How do you mean? I'm curious, the powers checks for things people do are fine as they are, IMO. What exactly did you change?
>>
>>46256539
Changing things like specific saves vs spell effects, rewards/punishments which are already available at the Amber Temple, spells which don't exist, spell use numbers ETC ETC
>>
File: bladelock fiddling v4.png (220 KB, 349x556) Image search: [Google]
bladelock fiddling v4.png
220 KB, 349x556
>>46254998
You convinced me, by the way. We initially started trying to make bladelock better/"more-viable" and while I think it can thematically fit that they trade in one power option (EB) for another (ES) I decided that there's no reason to make them worse overall just because I made (or am trying to, or whatever) one of their pacts not relative trash. Especially because the ES has its own cost to get (not a ritualist tomelock, invocations, whatever).

There's no real way for me to see what effects it could have without a bunch of playtesting that I clearly can't really do, but, hey.

Attached is what we have now. My buddy and I are pretty satisfied with it.

>>46256333
>>46256409
He means Ivory Tower but he thinks it means that I'm making tons of changes without having any idea what I'm doing and should stop, or something weird.
>>
>>46256754
Why not have Eldritch Blade allow them to cast a spell with a time of 1 action or lower as part of their Attack action, so long as they make a melee attack? Make them into something close to 3.5's Duskblade.
>>
>>46251165
I would like to see more classes/archetypes drawn from 4th edition, at least in terms of flavour.
>>
>>46256619
But.. powers checks didn't really do that? It was like, you'd get one for using necromancy, murdering dudes, breaking oaths, things like that. Failing a check was just a d100 roll, and added up to getting 'dark gifts'. There's no specific rewards/punishments that I remember, or specific spells that are cast/granted to you.
>>
>>46256814

By Eldritch Blade you mean Eldritch Strike? So it's kind of like War Magic? That is a fix. The only thing is that'll basically turn them into hitting dudes with a weapon as a sort of addition to Eldritch Blasting them (Probably. You can of course use other spells.)
We'd rather them be focused around actually hitting and dealing damage with the pact weapon, and being good at it themselves. It's a little bit more work, but, eh.
>>
>>46256854
Check out the AD&D Ravenloft Campaign setting book page 18
>>
>>46256889
>>46256814
Wait uh, no. You think ES should exist and also trigger a spell? That'll be a bit much.

I dunno how the Duskblade operated, by the way.
>>
>>46256659

>Eldritch Strike

Wow, this is kind of weird. That's the exact same name I gave to my current pal/lock's homebrew cantrip, though it and the other buff me and my DM worked out for bladelocks is mechanically different from your stuff.

I just joined the thread now so I don't know exactly what you're talking about, but if you want I could share the houserules in use for my character, and the slightly different houserules I'm using for warlocks as a whole in my game.
>>
>>46256917
Its funny that in AD&D the Vistani potion is actually real while in 5e its a snake oil
>>
>>46256917
Which one? The one called "Campaign Setting" doesn't have anything like that on page 18. In all other sources, even the 3e one, it's a percentage check based on a specific act, modified by a couple things, then the GM thinks of an appropriate scaling 'dark gift' if they fail it, and eventually they turn into an appropriate monster.
>>
>>46257047
Yeah man, post whatever you got. Like to see how other people handle it.
You have any thoughts on what I posted?
>>
>>46256889
>>46256960
Duskblades got to "channel" certain spells into their attacks, so that if it hit the spell would activate. Made them super fun to play, as it gave them ghetto maneuvers. Imagine hitting someone with a sword with a force spell in it, and launching them back 60 feet.

Also, you might want to rename it, Eldritch Knights have a feature with the same name.
>>
>>46257108
Domains of Dread, I think it's in chapter 5
>>
>>46257061
Well, the difference is that the castle itself has a poison mist around it, which the potion is for, and jack shit will get you through the mists otherwise (except maybe Vistani actually taking you through but they won't usually do that).
>>
>>46257148
I was just looking there. It's a percentage roll, man. For instance, if you cast a level 1 necromantic spell in an unprovoked assault which results in murder of an neutral NPC, that's a 5% check added up. It's not supposed to occur every time they do something like that, but it's meant to be always there, waiting for them to inevitably fail their checks as they do evil things.
>>
>>46257123

I might be reading this wrong but Eldritch Strike turns your weapon's damage into Force, right? I think that's a bit redundant because pact weapons are automatically magic and if I recall not many creatures should be resistant to that. Also, I don't think giving a pseudo full caster like Warlock a third attack is a good idea, a bit too much.

The way I had it for my Eldritch Strike was that it functioned like GFB or BB, dealing the weapon attack's normal effects in addition to scaling 1d8 Force at 5th level, and if you had any invocations that normally buffed eldritch blast they would also buff this attack (+cha mod damage, use with Reach weapons, pushing). Additionally, we changed Thirsting Blade to kind of function like War Magic in that one of your attacks could be a melee attack cantrip or touch cantrip so there's more incentive to actually attack in melee instead of throwing blasts.

That's in the game I am playing in right now, I'll get to the houserules I'll be using for my game.
>>
>>46257108
I'm taking it from the 1990 version not the 1994 version. I prefer 1990
>>
>>46255018

I'm using it -- I love it.

Only constructive criticism I have is that there's not a little field to enter Inspiration points.
>>
>>46257125
Man, I really hope Duskblades get ported into 5e. I'd try to do it myself but I have no clue how to balance them to be what is essentially a melee-range spellcasting DPR class and not just have it look like a stronger, arcane version of a Paladin.
>>
>>46255018
I'm using it with new players and the way the skills are split up by attribute is really helping them out a lot.
Haven't run into any shortcomings, other than them placing things in the wrong place because they're used to the standard sheet's layout.
>>
>>46257532
You gotta give them a highly limited spell list. A few spells that would work cool with the concept of striking things, and a couple of basic damage cantrips that would give some flat damage or change the type of their weapon.

Honestly, it'd work great for Warlock. The short rest thing means they get their "maneuvers" back quickly, they can change the damage type pretty easily, and their small spell list means less work to balance for.

Their main goal should be melee ranged utility or damage, since they can easily switch between the two at the cost of being real sqiushy. They can do alright damage, and do alright at most things really, but shouldn't be the best at anything.
>>
File: 1453097777363.jpg (435 KB, 1500x2264) Image search: [Google]
1453097777363.jpg
435 KB, 1500x2264
>>46257412

Let me correct myself, when I say 'touch cantrip' I mean a touch attack cantrip like shocking grasp.

To start with, I give all Warlocks proficiency with medium armor and a few martial weapons (longsword, rapier, scimitar, shortsword, whip) to make them more in line with other classes (plenty of domains have heavy armor and/or martial weapon proficiency, and druids get medium armor, shields, and a few weapons).

When you select a pact at level 3 you get your pact's respective 'main' invocation for free (it's not really a choice in the first place if you would be retarded to not take it, this lets warlocks have more room to select the other less used invocations). Obviously, Voice of the Chain Master and Book of Ancient Secrets slot into this easily but normally Thirsting Blade has a pre-requisite for 5th level, so I've completely changed Thirsting Blade.

Bladelocks gain proficiency with shields and all martial weapons, and at 5th level they just gain the Extra Attack feature. Normally bladelocks can only extra attack with their pact weapon, which doesn't let you do stuff such as say grappling and then attacking. One of these two attacks, if done with your pact weapon, can instead be a touch attack cantrip or melee attack cantrip (like Eldritch Strike, which I am still using)

I'm also letting bladelocks use their pact weapon as an arcane focus by default.

These are all a work in progress, and obviously they might not fully fit in any game because they almost assume some things like weapons existing that potentially require proficiency that 'proficiency with martial weapons' does not provide, like exotic weapons.

These rules may make warlocks a little less unique but I am happy with them right now.
>>
First time playing DnD here, so this may be a dumb question. I rolled my character a a human monk, and got lucky with 19 total dex and 15 total wisdom. I am trying to play a monk that uses just his hands and quarterstaff, so no other weapons. When I hit level 4, should I just take stats, to get 20 dex and 16 wisdom, for 18 AC and +1 modifiers, or is there a feat that would be better. I was thinking that martial adept might be strong. Grappler also looked good, but I only have 13 strength.
>>
>>46257890
Oh, that's literally like what I was talking about here:>>46257125
That's pretty good.
>>
>>46256659
Hey man, i know you might be attached to that, and I don't want you to take this badly

But I would not use that if I was playing bladelock, nor would I allow it at my table

Bladelock, and warlock in general is perfectly fine
>>
File: boneless.gif (70 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
boneless.gif
70 KB, 300x360
Boneless
medium undead, unaligned

AC 9
HP 46 (7d8+14)
Speed 20ft. (40ft. all fours)

STR 16 (+3)
DEX 8 (-1)
CON 14 (+2)
INT 3 (-4)
WIS 6 (-2)
CHA 4 (-3)

Prof +2
Saving Throws Wis +0
Skills Athletics +5
Damage immunities poisoned
Condition immunities poisoned, frightened, charmed
Languages - 1 (450xp)

All-Fours - If the Boneless is prone then its movement rate becomes 40ft. and does not incur the usual movement malus from being prone

Actions
Multiattack - The Boneless can make two Slam attacks or two Constrict attracts against an restrained target

Slam - +5 to hit, 6 (1d6+3) bludgeoning and the target becomes grappled, escape DC 13. If a target is hit twice in the same turn by Slam then the target becomes restrained
and grappled by both arms. Each arm needs to be escaped individually. Each arm grappling a target reduces the total number of Slam attacks which can be made in a turn by one.

Constrict - +5 to hit, 11 (3d4+3) bludgeoning damage
>>
>>46257952
Mobile or Alert are good for monks. Higher stats are probably better to start with, though.
>>
>>46257952
dex and wisdom
>>
>>46257412
That's not a bad fix, but let me clarify via an example attack.

Level 20, you have +5 CHA and +5 STR, wielding a greatsword (2d6 damage). You have Thirsting Blade and Lifedrinker.
You make your initial Attack action with your Thirsting Blade. This is 2d6+5(STR)+5(Lifedrinker).
You then use the second attack from TB to cast Eldritch Strike. As part of ES you attack again, causing another 2d6+5+5 damage. After that, you do 3d8 Force damage from the scaling. I'm not sure if +CHA adds to each of those d8s, or what, but I'll assume no at the moment. You then apply other invocation stuffs - you shove em back 10 feet, or whatever.

Stat-wise, 2d6+10+2d6+10+3d8 is ~47.5 damage. For reference, what I posted is 46.5 (with +5s) at level 20, and Eldritch Blast is 42 (also with +5s)

>>46258032
Overpowered, or what? General feel is that bladelock is weak; check this thread for other such feels.
Problem is that Eldritch Blast basically does more damage than anything a vanilla bladelock can put out, and doesn't require a Pact investment, and only 1 invocation.
>>
>>46257984

The Profane Soul archetype for the Bloodhunter homebrew class essentially allows you to put a spell into your melee attack, though I think that you only gain that feature really late and the entire class looks a bit underpowered and boring to play.
>>
>>46257952
There are several good feats that you can pick up but I would say postpone them so you can get the 20 dex and 16 wis at level 4. Better ac and damage will pretty much always trump a feat, especially at low levels.
>>
>>46257890
Other than summoned weapon as focus I would not allow any of that either to be honest

No offense
>>
>>46258033
Get that Goblyn out here, buddy! Or ravenlloft elementals, Animators, stuff like that!
>>
>>46258102

No offense taken, I'll readily admit that I could benefit a lot from getting more experience with the system, I'm still in my first actual game and we only play once a week.

Maybe starting my own game this early was a bad idea but all of the planning involved is fun. I don't even have a warlock in my game so most of this probably won't see use.

Tell me what you don't like about it if you want.
>>
>>46258067
I disagree that it is weak, it's actually my favorite archetype and plan to play it as soon as someone else fucking DMs for once

Anywho, PAM and GWM bladelocks grossly outdamage all other archetypes at level 12. People don't seem to realize how much of a difference STR+CHA mods make when added together, it's a non-neglegible source of consistent damage
Combine with armor of agathys and/or fire shield and it's even more than that
GWM gets STR+CHA+10 ×2 every single turn, plus more on a crit

I dunno man, I feel like people arent being creative/are underestimating the class so I would not allow any "patching" of bladelock unless it was something super minor
>>
>>46258041
>>46258056
>>46258073
Thanks.
>>
>>46257851
I know one anon tried brewing up a homebrew for them a while back, but everyone kinda lambasted him for it because, well, homebrew.

If memory serves the homebrew gave them mostly Evocation spells and a few other types of damage or small buff spells, scaled their spellcasting to 6th level and they had both a 'Arcane Smite' ability and the normal "channel spell" ability at a higher level.
>>
File: Archetype Alterations v.1.png (259 KB, 379x560) Image search: [Google]
Archetype Alterations v.1.png
259 KB, 379x560
All this Bladelock fiddling made me want to whip this up to put on display the changes I've made to a few things in the game I'm running.
Criticism (constructive or otherwise) appreciated.
>>
I looked through the Curse of Strahd book at my game shop but I didn't see anything about new class options.
Are there any?
>>
>>46258673
No.
>>
>>46258673
Just a new background option, that's it. It's a book meant mostly for DMs to run, because when you want to be a dick to your players, you run Ravenloft.

Even experienced players who know they're going into Ravenloft have to be careful; a couple of bad die rolls and the game quickly takes a turn for the worse.
>>
>>46258658

all EK's are going to choose out of opting out of evocation, but that makes me wonder, what would be some good schools to get as an EK?
>>
>The Introduction of CoS dedicates a full page to maintain its thematic tone
I'm in love.
>>
File: goblyn.gif (97 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
goblyn.gif
97 KB, 300x360
>>46258119
Goblyn
medium aberration, neutral evil

AC 14 (natural armor)
HP 28 (5d8+5)
Speed 30ft., climb 30ft.

STR 10 (+0)
DEX 16 (+3)
CON 12 (+1)
INT 7 (-2)
WIS 12 (+1)
CHA 9 (-1)

Prof - +2
Skills - Stealth +5, Perception +3
Condition immunities - frightened
Senses - passive Perception 13
Language - Understands Common, but cannot speak
CR 1/2 (100xp)

Spiderclimb - The Goblyn can climb difficult surfaces, including upside down on ceilings, without needing to make an ability check

Telepathic Link - The Goblyn aware of the location and direction of its master and all other Goblyns under it's master's control while on the same plane of existence.
It's master can command it and other Goblyns telepathically. They will only attack on command, but will defend themselves.

Goblyn Tactics - The Goblyn has advantage on attack rolls while its target is within 5ft. of another Goblyn

Actions
Multiattack - The Goblyn makes two melee attacks, only one of which can be Bite. Bite can only be used if the Goblyn has advantage on the attack roll.

Claw - +5 to hit, Hit: 5 (1d4+3) slashing damage
Bite - +5 to hit, Hit: 9 (2d6+3) piercing damage
>>
>>46258293
What about anything that isn't a dual-feat halberd/glaive build, at any other level?
How well do they do there?
>>
>>46258739

Transmutation for Enlarge/Reduce and Enhance Ability.
>>
>>46258658
I would allow the invocation, would not remove thirsting blade though
>>
>>46258866

and magic weapon, unless your DM hands out magic items like candy
>>
Speaking of Warlocks, would you let a GOOlock not actually have a Patron and just have them be a spooky Psychic person?
>>
>>46258868

Why not?

Make it more in line with the Bladesinger, Valor Bard and Favored Soul Sorcerer who all obtain Extra Attack at level 6.
>>
File: maskcultist.jpg (24 KB, 416x300) Image search: [Google]
maskcultist.jpg
24 KB, 416x300
>>46258033
>All-Fours gains 40 movespeed
jesus christ that is terrifying to imagine
>>
>>46258740
>intro on how to run it
>chapter on how to get players into the adventure and info about the BBEG
>chapter on the campaign's setting
>chapter on the hub town of the campaign
>chapter on the most iconic part of the campaign
>chapters on specific areas the campaign will go to
>chapter on the campaign ending
>appendices of character options, treasures, and NPC stat blocks

Curse of Strahd confirmed for best-organized 5e adventure.
>>
>>46258767
No face-bite???
>>
>>46258892

In my game I would allow patron-less warlocks for any patron type as long as they made sense. I feel like if your DM isn't as reasonable as this then they aren't going to bother doing patron interaction anyways.
>>
>>46258917
What you want Charisma damage

I was thinking about having a Bite while Grappled, but it was too similar to the Boneless.

Add the Grappled condition, escape DC 12, to the Bite Attack
>>
>>46258932

Honestly, telling your DM WHICH kind of Patron you wanted (Fiend, Fey, GOO, etc.) and letting the DM handle who it is should be standard.

You might go level after level, receiving boons and never being contacted by the Patron. Suddenly you have a twisted, David Lynch-esque dream while sleeping one night, where your Patron finally decides to make its presence known and it asks you to do it a direct favor.
>>
>>46258909
Yeah man.

Have them start upright, knee deep in crypt water, and advancing like slow zombies at the players. They will probably either confidently advance or pull back to use ranged.

Then the boneless let out screech and drop under the water and all the players can see is a rapidly approaching ripple
>>
>>46258971
Get that permanent face mangling u p in here! Bring the true Ravenloft feel of horrible AD&D-ness!

There's a lot of cool RL critters, and some really weird shit too like the viruses or zombie fog.
>>
File: Zombie Fog.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Zombie Fog.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>46259004
I actually made a zombie fog a while back
>>
>>46258994
Wrap them around an animated skeleton so it seems like a zombie at first. The party approaches, they then split apart into the flesh and bones, both of which attack separately.
>>
>>46258787
Well let's say it's a greatsword at level 12, no feat. That is still (STR+CHA+2d6)×2, which keeps up with blastlock

Let's say it's before level 12, yeah you miss out on CHA but at those level EB is only 2 beams, so neglegible difference, plus you have stuff like agathys which makes you a porcupine

The only issue I see with a bladelock is a dex lock, and that one can two-weapon-fight his way into extra hex damage
>>
File: 1455921392445.jpg (107 KB, 336x480) Image search: [Google]
1455921392445.jpg
107 KB, 336x480
>>46258033
and I thought the skeleton it jumped off of was scary
>>
>>46254371
>>46254518
>>46254555
Also if the material is consumed, the focus can't be used, the actual material must be used
>>
How do i make a drow backstory without being a Drizzt clone? I have no idea why a drow would be wondering around on the surface willingly otherwise.

I want to feel the gold ol-fashioned racism that can only be experienced by a black skinned elf.
>>
>>46259073
That is correct.

>>46259080
Sleeper agent of the Spider Queen.
>>
>>46259080
You could simply be an exile/escapee of a fallen house, or maybe you had to escape assassination from your rivals and you will return one day. Or you could be a heretic who worships Eilistraee instead of Lolth.

Or maybe you were on a slave raid to the surface and your group was ambushed by dwarves and only you escaped.
>>
>>46259030
Cool. Hearth Fiends were pretty neat too, or the SINGLE GREATEST CREATURE EVER: Uncle Skeleton.
>>
>>46258894
Yup, and shield proficiency too
They also only get medium armor, don't have a default magical weapon, can only use certain weapons, don't have the best cantrip in the game for distance fighting when needed, etc.

Not trying to be contrarian, just feel things balance out. Who knows, maybe your DM agrees with you, but this one doesn't
>>
>>46259080

Drow Matriarch that barters and trades goods with some seedy surface dwellers.

And what better good than worthless male slaves?

You and some of your bros were sold into slavery to a bunch of ruthless D&D RACE THAT LIVES ON THE SURFACE. All chained up and being whipped, forced to march.

Suddenly a group of DO-GOODER NPC'S THAT THINK SLAVERY SUCKS come in and kick some slave owner ass. They take you in for x amount of time, where you gain enough life experience to become a level one PC.
>>
I kinda want to do a Chaotic Good/Chaotic Neutral GOO warlock that's the body of your typical power hungry CE warlock villian who got his mind eaten by the thing he was trying to summon and is just being meat puppeted around by it, but the Old One itself isnt "evil" and just wants to learn about the material plane like some excited puppy.

The whole alignment thing inherently doesnt work very well for that kind of thing though since it's supposed to be alien by nature.
>Killing people by accident since it doesnt know chopping off an arm can be fatal to mortals at first
>not getting how such frail creatures are still alive despite breaking so easily
>absolutely no idea how to do social interaction (at first)
>accidentally causing psychic damage trying to communicate before learning that it's normal telepathic "voice" is like getting slammed by a psychic brick wall to squishy humans

Feels a bit too speshul snowflake though. Might be better suited for an inherently stronger system like Exalted.
>>
>>46259150

I AM the DM in question who uses those rules. Eldritch Armor exists as a means to allow Strength based Bladelocks to do their thing without feat/multiclass taxes.

But I understand where you're coming from.
>>
>>46259119
>>46259129
>>46259156

Thanks. Now i feel like I can do something now that I got some ideas.
>>
>>46259080
You're actually just a wood elf with a disguise kit and think Drow are cool.
>>
>>46255018
I absolutely love it, and all of my players so far have, but I really do like to use electrum pieces. Do you think you could (re?) add them?
>>
>>46259068
A bladelock with a greatsword at 12th with maxed cha and str and hex (4d6+20+2d6) does ~41
An eldritch blast with maxed cha at 12th with hex (3d10+15+3d6) does ~42

With spells like Hunger of Hadar and Evard's black tentacles to push things into, eldrich blast surpasses a bladelock's ability easily.

Or you could just scorching ray, which as a fifth level spell and hex will deal (12d6+6d6) ~63 fire damage.
>>
>>46259308
I swore PHB has electrum pieces in it already, and shows conversion tables for what an EP costs to convert to GP.
>>
>>46259080
There's a drow trading interest called the Horizon Syndicate that makes frequent forays into the surface world.
>>
>>46254016
>That doesn't mean what you think it means.
That you shat this onto a piece of paper without considering the practical considerations of what it means in the context of the rest of the system?

Unless Anon's making an oblique reference to the Blessed Virgin, that's exactly what it means.
>>
>>46259200
Then by all means, do your thing, my man

What I might do is modify the free mage armor evocation, since nobody uses it anyway
Two birds with one stone, yeah?
Maybe ignore armor proficiencies
>>
>>46259444
nah, that isn't what ivory tower design means.
>>
>>46259364
Related link (4e, but the fluff should still be relevant):

http://www.wizards.com/files/367_Children.pdf
>>
>>46259308
>>46259344
I removed them because they are rarely used, described as ancient currency or something to that effect. Unfortunately, CoS uses them a lot as Strahd's minted currency in Barovia. I will make a sheet with an EP box sometime soon.
>>
>>46259479
You are a godsend anon.
They're about as rare as PP.
>>46259344
It did.
>>
File: eleravl2.gif (117 KB, 300x360) Image search: [Google]
eleravl2.gif
117 KB, 300x360
>>46259142
Blood Elemental
large elemental, chaotic evil

AC 12
HP 114 (12d10+48)
Speed 40ft.

STR 18 (+4)
DEX 12 (+2)
CON 18 (+4)
INT 3 (-4)
WIS 12 (+1)
CHA 6 (-2)

Prof +3
Damage resistances - acid; bludgeoning, piercing, and slashing from nonmagical weapons.
Damage immunities - poison
Condition Immunities - exhaustion, grappled, paralyzed, petrified, poisoned, prone, restrained, unconscious
Senses darkvision 60ft., passive Perception 11
Languages Aquan
CR 6 (2,300xp)

Blood Form - The elemental can enter a hostile creature's space
and stop there. It can move through a space as narrow as 1
inch wide without squeezing.

Water Dissipation - For every 5 feet the elemental moves in water, or for every gallon of water spashed on it,
it takes 1d6 necrotic damage and its maximum HP decreases by the same amount.

Actions
Multiattack - The elemental makes two slash attacks

Slash - +7 to hit, reach 10ft., Hit: 10 (2d6+4) slashing damage, and the target must make a DC 15 Con save, on a failure the
target is drained of some blood and the elemental gains HP and increases its HP maximum by the amount of damage done by Slash.

Smother (Recharge 4-6) - One creature in the elementals space must make a DC 15 Strength saving throw. On a failure, a target
takes 13 (2d8+4) bludgeoning damage. If it is Large or smaller it is also grappled (escape DC 15). Until this grapple ends,
the target is restrained and unable to breathe unless it can breath underwater. The elemental can attack and move normally and the grappled
target moves with it. If the saving throw is sucessful, the target is pushed out of the elemental's space.
The elemental can grapple one Large or up to two Medium or smaller creatures at one time. At the start
of each of the elementals turns, each target grappled by it takes 13 (2d8+4) bludgeoning damage. A creature within 5 ft. of
the elemental can pull a creature or object out of it by taking an action to make a DC 15 Strength check and succeeding.
>>
>>46259543

>unable to breath unless it can breath underwater

you probably copy/pasted this from a water elemental but I'm pretty sure a fish couldn't breath in a tank of blood
>>
>>46259337
Bladelock doesn't lose the ability to cast scorching ray, and can grapple/drag/shove people into things too with a good str score
>>
>>46259587
After using their spell slots on armor of agathys, fire shield and hex? Not to mention bladelocks cap out at this point whilst eldritch blast can look forward to another 1d10+5 at 17th.
Bladelocks must max two ability scores, spend two invocations, be in melee, and suffer defensively unless they multiclass to just briefly touch the scaling damage curve of eldritch blast
>>
>>46259584
But could someone with a Water Breathing spell? Writing "unless it can breath in blood" sounded weird
>>
>>46259788

The spell says you get to breath underwater. Not in blood, not in molten mercury, and not in gravel.
>>
>>46258702
>because when you want to be a dick to your players, you run Ravenloft.

Oh, fuck. I've got a friend who wants to start up a Ravenloft campaign next month with none of us have played 5th before.

My plan was to make an Ash from Evil Dead-esc Ranger. Another friend has a halfling rogue crossbow specialist. Another friend some kind of spell caster, he usually prefers clerics.
>>
>>46259761
It's a give and take, you spend the spell slots to make you better at melee or you spend them for other stuff, same for the invocations and such. If you multiclass for armor then you dont want to use agathys and such so that just takes you down a different path, same for most other choices

Not really in the mood to look further into it right now, but I'm sure something else offsets that extra EB beam
>>
Our party has been sitting at level 3 for weeks. We're barely getting ~200 exp a session.
>>
>>46259823
OK amigo I'll change it
>>
>>46259941
That's fair. I gotta get to sleep anyways. good talk.
>>
File: misguided.png (300 KB, 1179x960) Image search: [Google]
misguided.png
300 KB, 1179x960
How do you get your players to READ THE FUCKING BOOK? And what point should you get mad at them for not reading it?
>>
>>46259918
3 of the other players should be gnome rogues armed with kitchen utensils
>>
>>46259966
Same, cheers
>>
>>46259983
From day one, if they haven't read the book you gotta punish that shit
>>
>>46259983
When they don't know what to add to their attack
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 30

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.