[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How would one go about setting up a way to fight giant monsters?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3
File: feed your dogs or else.png (548 KB, 597x414) Image search: [Google]
feed your dogs or else.png
548 KB, 597x414
How would one go about setting up a way to fight giant monsters?
Long story short, I'm running a setting with giant monsters, and some of them need to be fought. Long story long, the story is that in the beginning of time, there was only one being of infinite size, with an infinitely powerful soul, essentially an omnipotent god, which then after a timeless interval, split itself into the world we have today. The idea is that giant creatures still exist, and they are more powerful in terms of strength and soul.
The only problem I'm having is figuring out how players should fight them. It's a medium fantasy, med-low technology (partially inspired by WH4K), so I've been considering maybe jetpacks, or some magical way of flying depending on the character, but that would leave the problem that I can't really have any obstacles that could be flown over, or else they probably will.
I also just don't like the idea of killing monsters by just endlessly slashing at their toes, so I'm not quite sure what to do here.
Any suggestions on how to integrate it better? If it helps no know, the reason why it's med-low technology is because everything is mechanical, no electrical inventions, and so space travel has been invented, just all man-piloted.
>>
>>46248854

Consider giving separate HP scores to each body part. It helps with the issue of "I killed him by stabbing the foot".
>>
>>46248854
You could do it like Lost Planet did it, and have some of the vital parts of the monsters exposed. Else they'd need to somehow get to the vital parts. Maybe the monsters hide and shit is brittle and can be blasted off to expose the heart, or maybe they need to invade the monster through some kind of hole making the encounter basically a living dungeon.

The last one might be somewhat magical realm-y though.
>>
File: autistic turtle.png (532 KB, 600x475) Image search: [Google]
autistic turtle.png
532 KB, 600x475
bump
>>
>>46249065
The only problem is that I wouldn't know how they would get to those weakpoints, but I like that idea
>>46249061
This seems like it could work too
Maybe I could also do a shadow of the colossus like thing, and have the whole creature be considered a structure, kind of like a living dungeon like >>46249065
said
>>
>>46248854
There's many possibilities:
>Weak points
The monsters' souls are indestructible, but the monster will die without it. The heroes must find the point were the soul resides and extract it from the body.

>Dungeon crawling
The beings are so massive that there's actual dungeons inside them were the "inner monster" lives. The characters must fight the inner monster and then get out of the body ASAP

>Attack on Titan
Give the players means of air maneuvering/climbing and let them go full weeaboo on the enemy

>The bigger fish
A giant can only be defeated by a bigger giant or one equally big. Extra hard if they need to pair them in an specific order so they don't fuck it and end up having one unkillable giant.

>Power of nature
Human weapons aren't strong enough, but tornados, oceans and volcanoes are. Lure the giant into the abyss.
>>
>>46250052
hmm, good question.
You could make it clar in the beginning that the climbing skill is important and could build some extended mechanics around climbing on those fuckers. A bit like Dragons Dogma.

Or grappling hooks and similar. Granting additional maneuverability while not making it impossible to put some barriers down for the players
Thread replies: 7
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.