[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Post characters that would have made a better Living Guildpact
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9
File: EN_Jace_8_Gallery.jpg (619 KB, 1200x675) Image search: [Google]
EN_Jace_8_Gallery.jpg
619 KB, 1200x675
Post characters that would have made a better Living Guildpact than this dipshit
>>
>>46242696
>>
File: truth.png (6 KB, 684x455) Image search: [Google]
truth.png
6 KB, 684x455
>>46242696
>>
>>46242696
Urza
>>
I never understood why people hate Jace.

I'm not a lore expert so I don't know all his backstory but he looks pretty badass.
>>
>>46244854

Its more a perception thing than anything that actually has to do with the lore.

You know how when something gets too popular, contrarians arise to shit talk it? Jace is like that, except there isn't that much of an actual fanbase for him to balance things out.

Wizards pushes him really hard as the protagonist character of modern magic, which means that the plot is going on wherever Jace happens to be, and the party hasn't really started until Jace is there too. He has more Planeswalker cards than any other planeswalker in the game, and Jace the Mind Sculptor was notoriously format breaking.

Which would be fine under other circumstances, except he is the face of Blue magic in the game. So the fact that he is WotC's favorite walker is sort of a microcosm of the fact that Blue is unambiguously their favorite color, getting the best toys.

It also doesn't help that many of the cards which he originally appeared on made him seem like a mind raping jerkass 'aren't I so clever' ponce. Which is kind the of the exact opposite of what he is like in the actual fluff, but most people don't read that.

So the popular perception of him is that he is a blue magic powerfantasy that wizards can't resist the urge to shove down our throats at every available opportunity, and he used to have anime hair.

In actuality he isn't as bad as all that, but in general everyone here just hates Jace because they are sick of seeing him all the goddamn time.
>>
>>46245066
That's about it. Familiarity breeding contempt.

It also sticks in peoples' craw that he'd had one of the most format warping and expensive cards of his type.

Funny thing is that he wasn't around in the full spotlight for two years. He wasn't in Khans and he wasn't in Theros. Then the mimetic hate engine kept up the steam when Origins came around and then Zendikar into Innistrad.
>>
Best jace
>>
>>46245244

Indeed. They gave us a break from Jace. But at this point, we love hating him too much to let that go so easily.

The Guildpact thing honestly kind of sealed the deal, though. Because now he is superspecial living guildpact... thing. And no one seems to know what that really means.

But it basically turns in to, every new set where Jace is off being the designated protagonist somewhere else, a pretty serious question get asked for totally legitimate reasons:

"Jace, why are you sticking your nose in this instead of staying on Ravnica where you belong? Don't you have a motherfucking JOB?"
>>
>>46245616
There has been a Jace in standard since... well shit, since Planeswalkers started being a thing.

So for people that play standard, which is a large amount of people, they have never seen a time of magic without Jace since October 12th, 2007.

We have almost had 10 straight years of Jace.
>>
>>46245703
In terms of gameplay, yes. In terms of lore, he hasn't been in every single set hogging the front page. It's kinda like being sick of Bugs Bunny for being on the WB logo when he' not in every Looney Tunes cartoon or even in every show/movie the logo appears.

It's kinda tiresome and kneejerk when you know the reality.
>>
>>46245616

Fucking Venser had a job and he did it. Venser didn't go running around doing stupid shit until Koth punched him into a Chinaman and forced him to Mirrodin. And then he got ganked.

Fucking Elspeth had one job and she got ganked, too.

If anything Chandra should be more central. She doesn't have a job, and is defined as not having one, instead running around starting fires. Fuck, maybe Gideon because he was a prick but figured out how to stop being a prick. Not sure if he has a job since I'm kind of out of the lore, but at least he doesn't solve his problems with mindrape.

Fuck, who else is unemployed and would be better than Jace? Perhaps the first qualifier is the one that question would hinge on, since the second applies to all.
>>
>>46245703
>>46245756
Just did some math, by the time SoI rotates out, Jace will have been in the Standard Format for about 10 years exactly.

If he gets a card within the next three blocks, then it will be longer.
>>
So I'm kinda new to MtG, just getting back into it. I played back in '12 and starting up again now.

My question is; how do I get into the lore? I love reading flavour text and such and it gives me ideas for my DnD games and such, but as for the actual story I'm a little stupid. Is there somewhere that has the lore written in order that I can read?
>>
>>46245806

Lore used to be handled in books, but they have not done that in years.

These days, when a new set is ongoing every week WOTC publishes a short story on their website. These stories, strung together, describe most of the lore these days.
>>
>>46245922
That's... A little disappointing. But thanks.
I heard someone talk about an RPG setting in Magic. Is that a homebrew, or are there actual notes somewhere. All I find online is people talking about it.
>>
>>46245774

Jace is also kind of the worst possible Planeswalker to be out go-to wandering problem solver.

He is clever, sure. But illusions and telepathy are VERY limited powers. As he is learning on Innistrad now, he is basically helpless against anything that is mindless, like undead.

Chandra or Gideon are much better for handling problems as they show up. Jace is better serving as a consultant position, or teamed up with someone who can actually fight as a sidekick, then he is as a solo act.

Jace and Lilianna as a traveling battle couple would be much better than either of them acting alone.
>>
>>46245973

Hell, consider that Gideon himself manages to actually gather planeswalkers around him into a team, turning enemies into friends. Guy is a party lead if ever I saw one in MtG. And when he makes a commitment to stick around until a job is done, he cuts through two Eldrazi Titans to make it done.

That makes a solid core of a team if ever there was one, a bunch of asshole freaks and wizards can manage rally around one guy if that guy's only significant trait is being the last man standing, not some capricious asshat who neglects his day job to go chase breadcrumbs left by moonmen.
>>
>>46245973
Hence why he's used that way in this story as less the most capable person to solve a problem with battle, but with his head like a noir detective.

Look at Dresden Files or some older movies. Many protagonists end up over their head and ill-fit to do much more than use what talent they have to cut through the useless information and piece together what's been left behind into a coherent picture to solve a mystery instead of outright solving a problem.

He isn't probably going to save the world or fight Avacyn or Sorin, just find out what the hell is going on in relation to his reason for coming to Innistrad.
>>
>>46245961
almost certainly just homebrew stuff.
>>
>>46245973
worst OTP ever
>>
>>46245961
>>46245961
If you think that's disappointing, what til you find out that whatever Internet gretchins they have running their website accidentally nuked most of the links to the older short stories, and many of them were further lost due to a server shutdown.

Literally anything from like 5+ years ago that wasn't in print is just gone.
>>
>>46245973
>illusions and telepathy are VERY limited powers
HA.
>>
>>46245066
>the fact that Blue is unambiguously their favorite color, getting the best toys.
You must be joking
>>
>>46248594
All of that stuff is literally irrelevant because they'll just retcon it to fit whatever hair-brained gimmick they've concocted to sell the newest set
>>
>>46250176
>You must be joking
Are you?
All of the power nine that have a color are blue. Even the arguable tenth (Brainstorm) is blue.
Every color gets some things that are in its purview-- the color pie. It's become more than apparent that part of blue's color pie is breaking the fucking color pie, so that they get good creatures in addition to counters, removal, card draw, color screwing, etc. I wouldn't have as big a problem with this if Wizards would just up and say it, but since they haven't. I think it's a legitimate gripe
The only thing I don't think I've seen a monoblue card do is gain someone life, and it's only a matter of time IMO.
>>
>>46250388
And so I can keep this on track, I think that Niv might have made a pretty good Guildpact if he weren't so damnedably vain. Maybe Lavinia? Or are we restricted to walkers?
>>
>>46250388
Pretty much this. The biggest problem with blue as a color is that, yeah sure the other colors have the color pie and current blue doesn't really infringe on that too much. But blue's part of the color pie just happens to be one of the most relevant parts. Counterspells, removal, boardwipes and card draw. These things combine to mean that blue is the only color that can interact with the stack in any meaningful way, the only color that can dig through their deck in any meaningful way, and the only color that interact with just about anything on the board.

TL;DR it's not so much that blues share of the color pie is larger than anyone elses, blue just happens to have all of the relevant stuff.
>>
>>46245973
see
>>46245543
>>
>>46250388
>It's become more than apparent that part of blue's color pie is breaking the fucking color pie
Cry
Harder
Faggot

>good creatures
Delver of Secrets and Snapcaster mage, though the latter barely counts. That's it. Those are the only two.

>Removal
Bounce is hardly removal, Ponigy doesn't count

>Card draw
Look at all the shit green's been getting lately, they seem to be #1 in card draw now in addition to getting BETTER creatures and removal than blue

>Color screwing
Choke and Blood Moon aren't blue
>>
>>46251704
True-Name Nemesis? Surely you have forgotten some others. I think one starts with V.
>>
>>46251761
I'm not going to count TNN because
>Commander
But V-clique was an oversight.

Still, 3 modern-playable creatures. Actually, now that I think about it, Delver isn't even modern-playable. Without decent top-deck manipulation it's easily the worst card in any delver-type list it's in. So 2 modern-playable and 4 legacy-playable creatures. Easily the least amount of any color.
>>
File: 1440980795222.jpg (213 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1440980795222.jpg
213 KB, 1280x720
>>46251704
I want neo /tg/ to go. Actually /tg/ has always been bad at magic so feel free to stay friendo.
>>
>>46251962
>Spouts neo/tg/ meme
>Posts meme picture that supports my points
Why did you even bother?
>>
File: c1cd0e09.jpg (159 KB, 733x1100) Image search: [Google]
c1cd0e09.jpg
159 KB, 733x1100
>>46242696
>ctrl+f
>no ral

He should have won.
>>
>>46245066
>Which is kind the of the exact opposite of what he is like in the actual fluff, but most people don't read that.
So what's he like in that?
>>
File: op.jpg (28 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
op.jpg
28 KB, 223x310
>>46251761
>
>>
>>46253622
A giant dork who fucks up all the time
>>
>>46248594

Most of it's still there - but it's a pain in the ass to find.

For example: magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/arcana/lorans-smile-2014-10-27
>>
>>46253323

He really should have.

If they aren't going to use him, making him the Living Guildpact to free up Jace would be the smart move.

It might even happen - now that the Jacetice League has assembled, he might find some way to pass on the mantle so he can focus on fighting crime.
>>
File: 1458103846533.jpg (99 KB, 753x1062) Image search: [Google]
1458103846533.jpg
99 KB, 753x1062
bumping for best girl
>>
File: MR_1.jpg (283 KB, 675x652) Image search: [Google]
MR_1.jpg
283 KB, 675x652
>>46259883
The adventures of these two are 100% better than that Gaywatch
>>
>>46260323
I really hope they're gonna keep up with their anti-Orzhov shenanigans. Teysa has a plan for one-upping Karlov and busting Taijic out, she wouldn't have had Taijic go to the dungeons without a fight otherwise. R-right?
>>
How is he still Mono-Blue if he's the Living Guildpact? The guildpact encompasses all colours and the representations of it before in cards all fucked over mono-colour cards.
>>
>>46260592
Because personality-wise he's blue as all hell with a bit of white and not really anything else at all. And they refuse to print a WU Jace because everyone will decide that means he joined the Azorius, so he's stuck as monoblue.
>>
>>46253622
He's kind of a big goober. There's moments where due to the nature of being a telepath he can wreck people but during the fight with Ob Nixilis on Zendikar, Bobby N just walked right through his illusions and slapped his shit
>>
>>46260323
Best Guilds

Unite to form Best Tri Color Combo
>>
Okay, so for real when the plot for Dragon's Maze was starting to go down I was hoping super hard it would be Agrus Kos emerging as a spirit and being like "godDAMN can you guys do literally anything without me?"

Because the last we saw him, he was literally just put in charge of the Ghost Quarter and I figured he hadn't showed up for the first two sets because he was busy doing important shit there that would become plot relevant later.
>>
>>46260555
Far as I can tell, Teysa is the only still living and not imprisoned hero of the Dissension left.

I would count Jarrad, but, well, he's not exactly living, and Feather was arrested because the new Boros lore is literally retarded.

No word of Pivlic and Crix in the Return block either, which is kind of a bummer
>>
>>46261574
>best guilds

That's not Gruul and Golgari
>>
>>46245244
>It also sticks in peoples' craw that he'd had one of the most format warping and expensive cards of his type.

Vryn's Prodigy is making a case for there being TWO, so that doesn't help matters.
>>
>>46245703
>There has been a Jace in standard since... well shit, since Planeswalkers started being a thing.
This is also true of Liliana, Chandra, and, until Origins, Garruk.
>>
>>46261625
I was hoping for that too, I really like him a lot better than pretty much every planeswalker.
>>
>>46245774
>Venser didn't go running around doing stupid shit
...yes he did. One of the reasons Koth and Elspeth hated him so much was that he was meddling with Phyrexian tech and treated it as completely without any danger.
>>
>>46245973
Jace and Liliana were a terrible couple and, as >>46245543 shows, they aren't getting back together any time soon.
>>
>>46251833
>>46251761
Vendillion Clique was a passable mistake. It was in fact not very good for a long time, or at least people underrated it. I remember when it was like a $3 card about 2-3 years after it was printed, and people were only trying 1-2 copies in some Legacy decks.

It's not game-breaking or anything. Its value lies in its versatility - it's rarely a dead card.
>>
>>46251704
I'm going to start naming unfair blue cards now.

Pongify
Rapid hybridization
Evacuation
Cyclonic Rift
Upheaval
Rewind
Memory Lapse
Vendillion Clique
True-Name Nemesis
Snapcaster
Delver
Brainstorm
Ponder
Preordain
Timetwister
Ancestral
Day's undoing
[Several not terribly inefficient big beaters]
[A host of really fucking good fliers. Storm Crow comes to mind]
Treasure Cruise
Invisible Stalker
Slip Through Space
Artful Dodge
Jace [All of them though especially wallet sculptor]
Time walk
Time warp
Temporal Trespass
Force of Will
Cryptic Command
Sleep
Palinchron
Frantic Search
Control Magic
Take Possession
Blatant Thievery
Unstable Mutation
Psionic Blast
Tim
Old Man of the Sea
Mind over Matter
Opposition
Time Spiral
Tolarian Academy
Show and Tell

And this is just off of the top of my head
>>
>>46263766
>Days undoing
>Slip through space

you're trying a bit hard. Especially when plenty of these either only see play in stuff like the drafts on MTGO or worse yet EDH.
>>
>>46263802
Fair enough, I'm just salty about getting blown out by some nigger playing Slip through Space in a prowess deck along with Temur Battle Rage and dealing 22 damage to me in a single blow.
And come on, Day's Undoing is less-broken-but-still-good Timetwister.
>>
>>46263812
I certainly agree that cards like Treasure Cruise, Time Walk, Ancestral Visions, Snapcaster, Control Magic and several others are cards that push the level of power in the game, but I'd always keep in mind that without cards like Delver, Force of Will, Ponder, and such the game would be lacking a lot of key cards that make it what it is.

The best example for me is would I rather have to build an interactive deck around a card like Delver, or would I rather be blown out by every turn one combo deck that people are gonna throw together.

I feel the real demon in a lot of magic are the cards that can be thrown into any deck in a format and be absolute top tier. Crap like Tarmogoyf, Treasure Cruise, Mutavault, Thragtusk, Pack Rat, and more along those lines.
>>
>>46260323
I love her adventuring shit-eating grin
>>
>>46260323
>>46264667
I agree, it's pretty great
OTP
>>
>>46245244
>It also sticks in peoples' craw that he'd had one of the most format warping and expensive cards of his type.

Anyone who doesn't like JtMS is a fucking scrub.
>>
>>46263766
Cry
Harder
Faggot
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.