[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sleeping Gods Quest #19
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 5
File: SGOP.jpg (309 KB, 1280x800) Image search: [Google]
SGOP.jpg
309 KB, 1280x800
Previous threads: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=Sleeping%20Gods%20Quest
Character journal: http://pastebin.com/kuwEtm6c
Character sheet: http://pastebin.com/z4MpU1Zu
https://twitter.com/MolochQM
https://ask.fm/MolochQM

It's a cold morning, with dew forming a sparking carpet across the charred grass, and the chill of it makes your body ache. Then again, even the hottest day of the year wouldn't have been enough to ease the pain from your abused body.

Bruises and light burns, however, are infinitely preferable to the canvas of nightmarish injuries that Tawn had been left with. Near enough to the entire right side of his body lost to the flames, and that was far from the worst that could have happened. He was lucky to survive – many others lost their lives last night, the traitor responsible for the trap among them. Musari, his treason nurtured by bitterness and spurned ambition, had sought to lead the Emperor's representative into a deadly trap, while his cultist allies stole him away to safety.

When their plans had been drawn, the cult did not guess that you would have been here. An oversight, a fatal weakness that might just lead to their downfall. You know how to find them, now, and you've got little to hold you back.

Like a careful, capable hunting hound, you'll chase them to the furthest corner of the land if you have to.
>>
>>46242382

The outpost town is smouldering, the burned remains of buildings still casting faint pillars of smoke into the cool air, but there are signs of life at least. Soldiers, many of them bearing wounds or the haunted eyes of disbelieving survivors, pace around in loose patrol. Seizing the first one you see by the arm, you ask to be pointed to whoever is in charge. There are matters that need to be discussed.

From the moment you meet him, you know that Takino is not one of Ra's carefully picked agents. A military man, through and through, he claims to be the overall commander for the entire south-east. Things are heating up, it seems, if he is here personally. A humourless man, his eyes and hair the exact same flinty colour, Takino rarely looks up from his papers.

“Moriya has been sent to Garuna for medical treatment,” he begins when you arrive, cutting off your first question, “From there, he'll be taken back to the capital. I don't know what will happen after that – I assume he'll find some comfortable job behind a desk. There was a man here, a prisoner,” Takino changes track seamlessly, finally glancing up at you, “Your doing?”

You're the one that took him prisoner, you confirm, has he said anything else?

“He has spoken,” Takino gives you a slight nod, “Most of the men that attacked us came from a nearby village, called...” a rustle of paper as he checks his notes, “Sparna, I believe. In either case, the matter has been taken care of. I sent troops to deal with it as they saw fit.”

You don't like the sound of that.

“So,” Takino offers you a cold smile, “What can I do for you, Wanderer?”

>I want to speak with the prisoner
>I need to see your maps
>You've done enough. I have to leave
>I had a few questions about the situation here... (Write in)
>Other
>>
>>46242393
> Id like to see your maps
>>
>>46242393
>I need to see your maps
Specifically the southern border.
>>
>>46242393
>>I need to see your maps
It's important.
>>
>>46242393
>I want to speak with the prisoner
>I need to see your maps
>>
You'd like to see whatever maps there are here, you tell him plainly, particularly those of the southern border region. He would have those here, would he not?

“Maps,” Takino repeats slowly, “You're in luck, Wanderer. Before he was taken away, Moriya insisted that I provide you with whatever assistance you required. All outposts have maps of their general region, the southern border included. Some of the documents here were damaged in the attack, but I believe the maps were unharmed. A good thing too – quality maps are hard to make, these days, and not terribly common. The office next door should have what you're looking for.”

Silently thanking Tawn for the help he was able to offer – even crippled, he was able to open a door for you – you move next door and draw out the appropriate map. Stored in hardy wooden tubes, it's no wonder they were protected. You heard somewhere that all maps in the kingdom were copied from the ancient originals, with each generation getting slowly more and more corrupted by mistakes. This map, at least, seems to be one of notable quality. Your eyes pour across the southern border, scanning the rise and fall of the mountains as you search for that distinctive crooked outcrop.

There. Although the map shows no sign of a river nearby, there is little mistaking the shape of the rocks. Like a finger beckoning you onwards, it seems to call out to you. The cult has their enclave beyond, and you're tempted to depart straight away – forging a path straight to the heart of your enemy. Marking the location down on your own map – a far cruder thing, with little more than roads and towns marked – you return to Takino.

Before you leave, you tell him, you'd like to see the prisoner.

“I thought you might,” Takino meets your eye, “I'll allow it. Not alone, though – he's one of yours, after all.”

[1/2]
>>
>>46242632

One of yours. An apprentice, then?

“Yes, on the run from the Nameless Temple,” Takino confirms, “Don't worry, Wanderer, I'm not accusing you of being complicit in this. I'm merely saying that I cannot trust you to be alone with him. Maybe you'd try and help him escape – or maybe you'd try to silence him. Moriya might have allowed something so rash, but I don't have his faith in you. If you want to speak with the prisoner, it will be under careful observation. Unless...”

Unless what, you sigh, what could change his mind?

“A favour. There were many soldiers killed in the attack, and they were buried on the edge of town. Merely say a few words over the fresh graves. I'm not asking you to hold a funeral for every individual man, just bless the ground itself,” Takino leans back, trying to gauge your reaction, “You can do that, can you not?”

You can, you admit, but you're a little curious as to why. You didn't think he'd support that kind of faithful gesture.

“I don't really care,” the officer shrugs, “But some of the men might. They might have their own faiths to indulge... and this would give me a perfect chance to identify them. These men might be enemies, Wanderer, and I'd like to know their names. Are you willing to do this, then?”

>Not a chance. I'll speak with the prisoner under your watchful eye
>Fine, if it will buy me some time alone with the prisoner
>Forget it. I don't need to speak with the prisoner that badly
>Other
>>
>>46242715
Not really a big price for us.
>>
>>46242715
>>Fine, if it will buy me some time alone with the prisoner
>>
>>46242715

Keep in mind, not all faithful are deluded zealots. Treating them as such will only alienate them, which makes your fears self fulfilling.
>>
>>46242715

Ira might not be worried about a watcher, but the apprentice might.
>>
Fine, you tell him, you'll do it. He needs to keep one thing in mind, though.

“Oh?” Takino gives you a dispassionate look, as if your words barely interest him. His eyes, though, are alight with a careful intelligence. “What advice would this be, then?”

Not all those who have faith, you warn him, are deluded zealots. If he considers them his enemies, it will only push them closer to the cult – making enemies of them, when they could have been friends or allies. He seems clever enough not to make this mistake, but perhaps he needs to be reminded nonetheless.

“A fair point,” his shoulders shift slightly in a miniscule shrug, “I wasn't planning on having them arrested straight away, in either case. Just... watched a little closer than the others. In times like these, we must all take precautions, wouldn't you agree?”

Unimpressed, you just grunt out a non-committal response and head out to perform your duties. You draw a few eyes as you head towards the impromptu graveyard, and a couple of soldiers follow in your footsteps. They do so without any explicit shows of emotion or even faith, treating the occasion with the simple respect that it deserved. They could be faithful men, coming to pray for the spirits of their allies, or they could merely be soldiers paying their respects to fallen comrades. They might even all be spies, looking for a conspiracy where there is none. That would be a crowning irony, but you don't see the funny side.

The graveyard itself is easy to identify. More than a dozen fresh graves, each one crowned with a heavy stick, painted white. Humble markers, made from whatever scrap was available.

You seem to be attending a lot of funerals lately, you think as you begin, perhaps too many.

[1/2]
>>
>>46242950

With no formal words to read, you settle for walking the length of the graveyard, touching each of the markers in turn and murmuring something appropriately pious. The gathering of soldiers watch on in silence, their faces grim and their eyes blank, as you return to them. Feeling the need to add something, just to make it feel “official”, you turn and bow to the graves, a gesture that the soldiers mirror. That seems to do the trick, some instinct warning you not to overdo it.

Pausing only to shakes hands with a few of the soldiers and nod graciously at the murmured thanks they give, you make haste back to Takino's lair and the dungeons beneath. No doubt his spy will be slower to return, slipping in when he has the chance to give his report undetected. When you arrive, Takino is waiting for you. With a thin smile, he passes across a single iron key and begins to return upstairs to his office. At the foot of the stairs, he pauses and turns to give you a look of warning.

“We want him to reach the capital alive,” Takino warns him, “So that he can be hanged properly. We're not savages here, Wanderer, we do things by the book... mostly.”

You don't dignify that with an answer, merely heading down into the dungeons as you try to keep your feelings from showing. The dungeons are empty, without a single guard around to eavesdrop on what you might have to say. In the furthest cell, you find the prisoner – his face almost unrecognisable beneath a pattern of mottled bruises. More cover his bare torso, with the imprint of a single boot drawing your eye.

Grimacing, you drag across a chair and sit opposite him. At the sound, he wearily lifts his head to look your way.

>You're an apprentice, aren't you? What's your name?
>Tell me everything you know about the cult
>Let's talk. You choose where to start
>I've got a specific question for you... (Write in)
>Other
>>
>>46243058
And how'd you like your first taste of actual war? That was nothing compared what it will be if you have your way.
>>
>>46243058
>What brought you to this point? What cause carried you this far? Do you still believe in it?
THEN

>>
>>46243058
"Why'd you turn? Is this what you envisioned you'd be doing when you joined? A lot of people died here.
>>
>>46243058
>>You're an apprentice, aren't you? What's your name?
>>Let's talk. You choose where to start
I don't think he'll know much we don't already know but it won't hurt to let him talk.
>>
You study the prisoner for a long time, trying – and failing – to avoid the inevitable comparison. He's only a little older than Koa, but the injuries discolouring his face and body make the black eye Koa had suffered from look like a gentle nudge. The soldiers were not kind to him, it seems. What cause, you ask softly, brought him to this point? And does he still hold these beliefs sacred?

“I fought... in defence of the gods,” he rasps, “And because I fear what's coming, should they turn their faces away from us. What happened here will be nothing compared to what could yet happen. My faith, sir, is still strong. I don't want to die, but I see no way of changing that fate now.”

He's an apprentice, you ask then, isn't he? What's his name?

“Hali. My name is Hali,” the boy offers that information without complaint, “I fled from the Nameless Temple, yes. I couldn't stay there. I can't... I don't see how you can, either. Doesn't it hurt, standing by and doing nothing as the Emperor tightens his grip on us all?”

This isn't about you, you scold him, this is about him – why did he turn traitor? Was it because of this... “defence of the gods” thing he mentioned?

“They need us, people who can freely travel the land. People who can...” Hali pauses here, swallowing with obvious pain, “People who can dirty their hands. That's why I left the Nameless Temple. That's why I picked up a gun to fight.”

And here he is, you tell him, tasting war for the first time. Was it everything he thought it would be? A lot of people died here, but this is only the start compared with what his cult wants to bring about. Is he really so keen to see more blood spilled?

[1/2]
>>
>>46243405

“Blood is going to be spilled either way,” Hali's voice calms slightly, growing so quiet that you need to strain to hear it, “We are... not the monsters you think we are. The men we attacked were soldiers, men who should have been willing to die for their Emperor. They are no better than us... worse, even. My village...”

There's always an excuse, you think bitterly. What about his village, then?

“I talked. I won't deny it,” Hali lowers his head, shame tinting his voice, “Sparna, my home. That's where our soldiers came from. Please... I want you to do something for me. For yourself, as well.” Silently, you watch Hali as he struggles to lift his head once more, forcing himself to meet your eye. “Go there,” he gasps, “See what happened to it. Maybe... maybe they were merciful, I don't know. But see for yourself what the Emperor does to those who oppose him. Then decide whether or not we're right to resist him – and whether or not you're right to stand by and do nothing.”

Scowling, you think about everything you've done over the past weeks alone. Hardly nothing, you spit. What has he done, save for dragging the world that little bit closer to war? All you've ever done is try to work with the Emperor, to find a compromise.

“Compromise,” Hali murmurs, “Is death. Do you really think the Emperor will stick to whatever terms you might agree to? He will never stop pushing, and every compromise you make is another defeat, another victory for him. See Sparna, see for yourself!”

>We're finished here
>Maybe I will see it. Maybe
>Tell me something else... (Write in)
>Other
>>
>>46243500
>The Mentor seems to disagree, and I believe in him on that point.
>I will see it, though. IF I don't need to deal with another incident such as this before I get the chance to.
>>
>>46243500
>>Maybe I will see it. Maybe
Also justifying killing those men because they are soldiers is a poor excuse. They are still people, making a living and possibly leaving family behind.
>>
>>46243500
>>Maybe I will see it. Maybe
But turning on your own, killing those that trust you by slitting thier throats in thier sleep, and torturing then sacrificing them to a god to send it Ina mute serous frenzy to kill everyone, that sort of treachery is unforgivable. That above all is why I stand against you.
>>
>>46243681
In a murderous frenzy*
>>
The Mentor seems to disagree with that – compromise has give and take on both sides, or so he has always taught – and you're inclined to side with the old man. Is Hali really claiming to know better?

“I respect the Mentor as much as you do,” Hali's reply is soft and pained – and not pained by those wounds covering his body, “Many of us do not. But... he cannot be allowed to dictate the future if he never leaves his temple. We're the ones that have to live in the world that he holds himself above. When the Emperor's troops are the ones on his doorstep... maybe then, we will see the error in seeking compromise.”

Enough, you snap, you refuse to let him preach to you. Not when he's justified murder, just because his targets were soldiers – men only seeking a way to provide for their families. Not after his cult has turned on their allies, murdering men and leaving their bodies out as sacrifice. After everything that they have done, they have no right to claim any kind of superiority – and they definitely have no room to accuse you of doing nothing. You'll stand in their way, no matter what.

“But-” Hali pleads, but you cut him off with a sharp gesture. At the sight of your raised hand, the boy flinches back against his chair, chains rattling from around his wrists.

Maybe you will see Sparna, you tell him, but you might never get the chance.

“That's all I ask,” Hali whispers, “See for yourself. That's all. It's not far from here.”

You're finished here, you announce coldly as you rise. Good luck with the soldiers.

Outside, you cross paths once more with Takino. Handing the key to Hali's cell over – given to you, you wonder, in case you wished to beat the boy? - you start to leave when the officer calls you back.

“Did he tell you anything that might prove... useful?” Takino asks.

>Some disturbing talk about Sparna
>Just cult ramblings
>He's been mistreated. Is “that by the book”?
>Other
>>
>>46243912
>>
>>46243912
>Seem "civilized" interrogation techniques are just about the same as a barbarian's hitting them til they talk.
>>
>>46243912
>What do you know about Sparna?
>>
>>46243912
>>Some disturbing talk about Sparna
What exactly did he order his troops to do?
>>
>>46243974
It might have been more taking out their anger on him for the loss of their comrades. He's the only scapegoat they've got.
>>
He mentioned some disturbing talk about his home town, you mention, about Sparna.

“Hmm, nothing useful then,” A look of brief displeasure flashes across Takino's face, “A shame. Well, I won't keep you here if you've got other places to be. I couldn't, even if I wanted to – the chain of command doesn't extend that far, after all.”

Wait, you snap as you grab his arm to stop him from walking away, what does he know about Sparna? What did he order his men to do with the town?

“Standard operating procedure,” Takino says quietly, brushing your hand off his sleeve, “Anyone who was armed was to be shot, anyone else was to be arrested. You've seen the dungeons, so that should give you an idea of how the situation unfolded. They resisted, I'm told, quite ferociously. Isn't faith a worrying thing? It makes men fight like beasts, even when their chances of victory are close to zero. Hardly something that civilised men would-”

Civilised men, you growl, wouldn't beat their prisoners black and blue. It seems to you like that's the act of a barbarian, or someone taking revenge on a lone scapegoat.

“You know,” Takino says with a cloying softness in his voice, “He was badly injured when we found him. Someone nearly snapped his neck. I wonder... would it be in your best interests to pursue this line of inquiry?”

A deathly silence seems to fall over the room. The only other man present – a blank looking soldier holding a slender batch of papers – slowly backs out of the room. At your sides, your hands form tight fists.

“In either case, he'll face the rope soon enough,” Takino shrugs, looking away and breaking the tension, “His health is hardly anything to concern yourself with. Are we finished here, Wanderer?”

>Damn right we're finished
>Don't piss me off, Takino. Facts have a way of leaking out, don't you know?
>We're no better than they are, are we?
>Other
>>
>>46244200
>>Damn right we're finished

There's no point in saying this, but there's kind of a difference between fighting for your life and attempting to kill the enemy only to NOT do it in the end and beating an unarmed prisoner. But what the fuck ever.
>>
>>46244200
>Damn right we're finished
>>
>>46244200
>Do you think yourself above retribution, Takino? People don't stop being people just because they lack authority.
>>
>>46244200
Zulathoon my shit up.
>>
>>46244361
Its on cooldown and there's no real point.
>>
>>46244399

>We've rested since using that spell last, so we could use it again. However, it would be pretty dangerous - it's a good way to make enemies!
>>
>>46244452
Meh, I was just joking with the Zulathoon mind rape, but we could just bully the fucker back.
He may have the Emperor's authority but in the end if Ira killed him there would be hardly any retribution because Ira is a pawn the Emperor needs for now, unlike a certain soldier. Sure once that shit is done we might have to face justice, but the Emperor has been shown to not give a fuck.
>>
>>46244547
You might be overestimating Ira's importance to the Emperor. Sure we are useful, but if we start killing his officers we would instantly become a liability,
>>
>>46244547
Or we could play the noble...
>>
>>46244594
The Emperor has absolute rule in this society. Nobles don't have that much power. In fact the military probably has more.
>>
It occurs to you, then, that nothing you could say to Takino would make a difference. He's the kind of officer who is insulated, protected from the realities of whatever situation he has been called upon to oversee. It doesn't matter what you could throw at him, it would all be deflected by mention of “doctrine” or “standard procedure”, and he would walk away without even a trace of mud on him. You won't deny that you hurt the boy, but there is a clear and obvious difference between what you did in the heat of battle and torturing a bound prisoner.

But what would be the point in telling Takino any of that? He would listen politely, file it away under “irrelevant information” and move on with his life, completely unaffected. Instead, you shake your head in weary disgust. Damn right you're finished here, you mutter, you don't want to spend a minute longer here.

“I'm sure you have your own business to attend to,” bored, Takino turns away from you, “Safe travels, Wanderer. Feel free to take a horse from the stables, if it pleases you.”

Why, you wonder bitterly as you're leaving, couldn't he have been burned up instead of Tawn? Because, you tell yourself a moment later, Takino would never put himself in any danger. That much is obvious. You will, however, take him up on the offer of a horse – anything to get you out of this place quickly. As you settle into the saddle and guide the beast out into the open road, you take a moment to decide your destination. Anger urges you south, to the cult enclave, but... maybe not. Maybe it would be rash to move too quickly.

>Head to Garuna, to check on Tawn
>Head to the capital city, to speak with Ra
>Return to the Nameless Temple
>Continue south. Strike while you have the chance
>Other
>>
>>46244641
>>Continue south. Strike while you have the chance
>>
>>46244641
>>
>>46244641
>Continue south. Strike while you have the chance
Let Tawn recover a little before we see him. Check out cult now.
>>
>>46244641
It might be better to send someone ELSE to Sparna.
>>
>>46244641
>>Head to Garuna, to check on Tawn
>>
>>46244641
>>Return to the Nameless Temple
We should share what we learned with the Mentor at least.
>>
>>46244641
Well since Garuna doesn't interest people, I think we should get one more spell before heading South.
>>
>So we seem to be heading back to the Nameless Temple for now. Writing the next post now.
>>
Grimacing, you guide your horse around and start riding to the north, back to the Nameless Temple. Perhaps the comforts of home will soothe your anger, and you'll be able to investigate the cult later, with a cooler head. The Mentor deserves to know about what you've learned, as well. Perhaps he can offer some advice about what to do with your new knowledge although, privately, you know what he'd say to you. He'd advise caution, of course, and urge you to go into things with an open mind.

Maybe that's the problem. Apprentices with open minds seem to be following a different path to the one the Mentor intended them to walk, and where do they end up? In dungeons, faced with the long road to the capital and the rope. That's no way for a young life to end.

The ride back to the Nameless Temple is appropriately solemn, with the grey skies above threatening rain for the entire time. There's an old legend about that – it is always said to rain after a great many lives have been lost. Today, at least, that might well come true. The first few droplets of cold rain are pattering against your hat as you reach the Nameless Temple, and what you find there does little to lift your spirits. Standing guard at the front gates, as if Hali's words had been a prophecy, are a pair of armed soldiers. More mill about outside, grumbling about the weather and trading crude jokes.

The armed men don't try to stop you when you arrive, parting at the first sign of your approach. Filled with a deep and dark sense of foreboding, you dismount and enter the Nameless Temple.

[1/2]
>>
>>46245126

This place was like home, once. No, it WAS your home – now, you don't know what to call it. A battlefield, perhaps, just waiting for the first shot to be fired. There is an apprentice scrubbing the floor close to where you enter, not cleaning dirt but washing away wild scrawls of paint. From what you can make out, it was a revolutionary slogan, a protest against what it called “occupying forces”. The soldiers, it seems, are not popular with the discontented apprentices.

You can't really blame them.

It's so stupid, you think with a sudden blazing anger, whose idea was it? Putting armed men within the Nameless Temple could only result in one thing – more anger, more dissatisfaction among the apprentices, and perhaps even among the Wanderers themselves. How long before they start to desert as well, protesting against the Emperor's tightening grip?

Focus. Stay calm. Focus on the real reason you came here...

>To see the Mentor
>To speak with Howa
>Some other reason (Write in)
>Other
>>
>>46245211
>>To see the Mentor
>>
>>46245211
>To see the Mentor
>>
>>46245211
>To see the Mentor
>>
>>46245211
>To see the Mentor
but uh, Maybe it's time for Howa to leave, as she her current stance is liable to put her first in the people who could die.
>>
>>46245293
Unlike Ira, she didn't lose her spell cards so she has a decade's worth of tricks up her sleeve so she isn't completely defenseless.

Where would she go anyways? And would she want to go? This is her home.
>>
>>46245340
well there's that island.....

....the emperor didn't prepare this for that purpose, did he?
>>
>>46245359
I couldn't guess at that kid's motives. For all I know this occupation was orchestrated by some higher up in the military that was turned by the cult, trying to stir more unrest. Or the Emperor could be in on all of this, who knows.
>>
You came to see the Mentor, of course, even if you're not so sure of what comfort he could offer you. His teachings have often eased your mind and steered you towards peace, but this time... perhaps things have gone too far. Peace, you fear, may no longer be an option.

As you make your way towards the Mentor's private chambers, you think back to what Hali said. The Mentor had put himself above – or perhaps “apart” would be a better term to use – the rest of Tenngaru. Sealed away here, within the Nameless Temple, he too was insulated from the strife and conflict that was building outside. Even when the apprentices were growing restless – continuing, even now, to grow restless – the Mentor remained separate from it all. When he looks out at the world, you wonder aimlessly, what does he see? Children playing with their toys, or ants scurrying about a garden?

When you arrive, you are surprised to see that things have changed in the Mentor's chambers. A great fire has been build in the centre of the sandy floor, and the old man sits at it, staring into the flickering flames. He doesn't react as you approach, not even when you stand right behind him. With a sudden pang of revulsion and horror, you realise that you could probably end his life right now, striking the head from his shoulders. You could take command, and perhaps then you might be able to get something done.

Perhaps that's what he wants – craving a release from... what? What kind of existence does he really have, sealed away here?

Too many questions, and none that he would likely answer. The old man keeps his secrets close. Sitting beside him – an uncommonly familiar way to talk – you close your eyes and feel the warmth of the fire upon your skin. A slight moment of peace, even in these trying times.

[1/2]
>>
>>46245522

“Strange, isn't it?” the Mentor begins softly, his voice barely audible above the crackle of fire, “We recognise fire as the most aggressive form of magic, but it also offers comfort to us. Perhaps we are calmed by the thought that this power, this violence, has been tamed and bent to our will.”

You remain silent, recognising the old lesson. It's one that all the new apprentices learn early on in their time here, and one of the most fundamental lessons there is. Howa showed you a book once, a textbook from before the Nameless Temple existed. Even then, in those ancient times, they were preaching the same message – raw power can, and often must, be controlled. Even so, controlled as it might be, you begin to feel a little uncomfortable sitting so close to a blazing fire. If this is enough to make you uneasy, how would Tawn feel in your position?

“Lessons aside, I find a fire to be comforting,” the Mentor continues, oblivious to your dark thoughts, “It eases my old bones.”

Old bones aside, you say slowly, you need to talk. There are... matters that need discussion. How private, you ask, would a conversation held here be?

“Nobody will listen,” the Mentor assures you, “This place, at least, is private. Say what you will, Ira.”

>I know where to find the cult
>What's going on here? Why are there so many soldiers?
>The Emperor is making his move. We need to do something
>Other
>>
>>46245611

Then
>>
>>46245611
>>What's going on here? Why are there so many soldiers?
Then tell them about the location of the cult.
>>
>>46245611
>>
>>46245611
>>What's going on here? Why are there so many soldiers?
>>
>>46245611
>Tawn is in a bad way, the cult saw to that.

>>
What's going on here, you ask simply, why are there so many soldiers here?

“It seems the Emperor saw fit to grant us protection,” the Mentor says slowly, a kind of bitter sarcasm you've never heard before from him creeping into his voice, “Against the growing forces of disorder that are stirring beyond these walls. A most honourable intention, is it not?”

Right, you sigh, and the truth?

“I fear the Emperor believes we pose a security risk, that we need to be protected from ourselves. He sent these fine soldiers here to watch over us – and to make sure we know who holds the power in Tenngaru,” the old man's dark eyes vanish as he frowns, his paper dry skin bunching up, “And what can we do about it? Should we resist, it would only prove what he believes. In time, I hope that Ra can reign the Emperor in, but until then... these guests are a compromise that we must make.”

Compromise. You're getting sick of hearing that word. Is this what the apprentices felt, you wonder, that pushed them into the cult's waiting arms? Clenching your fists, you stare into the heart of the fire and feel it biting at your skin. Tawn is in a bad way, you say softly, the cult saw to that. But they made a mistake, one that will lead you right to them. You know, you tell the Mentor, you know where to find them now.

“I can only hope that Tawn recovers well,” the Mentor murmurs, the words of condolences coming out hollow, “I regret that he has suffered, especially since you have worked so well together in the past. However, if his injuries led to this information...”

Don't say it, you plead silently, don't say it.

“Perhaps it was a sacrifice that needed to be made,” he finishes, your fears becoming real. With those words delivered, he falls silent.

>That's it?
>Give me an order, Mentor
>We need to throw the soldiers out. They're the real danger right now
>Other
>>
>>46245918
>That's it?
>Mentor who... what are you?
>>
>>46245918
>That was no sacrifice.
>Were he or I wiser, it would not have occurred. This is simply the cost of incompetence.
>Do you know anything about Sparna?
>I am going.
>>
>>46245918
>That's it?
>I'm going South. Any advice you can give I'll take.
>>
>>46245918
>>That's it?
>>Give me an order, Mentor
He's losing control of the situation.
>>
That's it, you ask slowly, that's all he has to say?

“Ira-” the Mentor begins, but you cut him off. Even as little as a month ago, the thought of doing such a thing was unthinkable, but things are different now. The rules have changed.

Tawn was no sacrifice, you snap, he wasn't some offering to be burnt at a temple altar! He nearly died because you walked into a damn trap, and anything good that came out of it was purely because of what you were able to salvage. It was luck, and simply bloody determination that pulled you through, not the decision to make any kind of sacrifice.

“A poor choice of wording,” the Mentor murmurs, as if your outburst had poured over him without even stirring the calm surface of his mind, “But Tawn knew, I am sure, the risks. He accepted them willingly, in the hope that-”

You're going south, you tell him bluntly, if he wants to give you some advice or orders you'd be willing to listen. If not, you're leaving. You won't waste any more time here.

“Speak with them, seek their knowledge,” the Mentor advises you – exactly as you suspected he would, “If we know their ways, perhaps we can find a way to get through to them. We could talk as equals, rather than struggling back and forth as enemies. Our apprentices will be among them – you may already have sympathetic ears among them. But... go. Go, and do whatever you can.”

You were going, no matter what he told you. As you stand and begin to leave, you linger long enough to ask one final question. Who... what is he?

“A question with no easy answer,” the Mentor says, his gaze still fixed upon the fire, “I'm a sinner, Ira, struggling to repay a sin that might just be unforgivable.”

About as vague as you were expecting. Without another word, you stride out.

>Take the road south once more
>Stay a while longer. You have other business here (Write in)
>Other
>>
>>46246483
>>Stay a while longer. You have other business here (Write in)
Howa. Need something good here.
>>
>>46246483
Talk to Koa and Howa. We are about to go into a hornet's nest potentially and they deserve to know. And tell them to stay safe as well with how unstable everything is here while we are gone.
>>
>>46246483
Speak with Howa
>>
>>46246483
Gotta talk to Koa and Howa.

Given the Raidou influences here, I'm guessing the Mentor has some punishment of immortality like Gouto.
>>
>>46246483
>>46246553
this they need to keep things cohesive, since Mentor has gotten progressively more out of touch.
>>
File: Koa.jpg (123 KB, 850x525) Image search: [Google]
Koa.jpg
123 KB, 850x525
You need some good news while you're here, or some comforting words at the very least. There isn't much to be found here in terms of “home comforts”, but there are some points of light in the gloom. Reasons to come back here, and reasons to linger a few moments longer. You find the first of these reasons where you expect – Koa is hanging around one of the sparring rooms, listlessly swinging a training sword about him. Not practising, or letting one of the meditative drills ease his mind, just... swinging a sword through the air for the sake of something to do.

“Hello,” he says as you enter. There is a dull clunk as he lets the sword drop carelessly out of his hand, stepping away from the discarded weapon.

You should scold him for that, you think, and remind him to treat temple property better. Instead, you just return his greeting.

“Remember the first time we fought here?” Koa asks, dragging his foot through the sand to carve out meaningless shapes, “Man, you really taught me a thing or two. I was kind of a shit back then, wasn't I? I guess some people just need a good slap once in their life, right?”

Maybe so, you agree, you certainly did at his age. In the silence that follows, you gesture towards the rack of training weapons. Does he want to go a round or two?

“No, I... I don't think so,” Koa shakes his head, “I guess I don't feel much like fighting right now. There's too much of that going on as it is. It must have been a shock, coming back to find all those soldiers here, huh? We thought we were being invaded at first. I guess some of the other apprentices still think that. So much for trying to calm the situation down, huh? All this did was throw fuel on the fire.”

You wince at the comparison.

[1/2]
>>
>>46246927

“I'm doing what I can, you know,” Koa mentions after a moment, “With the other apprentices, I mean. I'm picking my battles, only talking to the guys that are likely to talk back. I lost a few friends at first, but some of them are coming around. We're pulling together, us students, and all those old rivalries don't seem so important now.”

Even now, in these dark times, your heart lightens a little to hear that. Not only has Koa not abandoned his unofficial duties as peacekeeper, but he is also providing much needed aid to his fellow students. He's got a bright future ahead of him, Koa... if there is a future to be found for anyone.

“So, why'd you come down here?” Koa asks eventually, “I mean, I'm not complaining. It's good to see you. Sometimes when you leave, you know, I can't help but wonder...”

If you'll come back?

“I guess,” Koa looks down at his feet, “The world isn't as safe as it used to be.”

He's a kid, you think with something approaching amusement, but he can speak like an old man at times.

>I wanted to see how you were doing, that's all
>I wanted to tell you. I might be gone for quite some time
>I'm here to give you a warning. You can't trust the military
>Other
>>
>>46247004
>>I wanted to see how you were doing, that's all
>>I wanted to tell you. I might be gone for quite some time

Column A, Column B,
>>
>>46247004
>You're a good kid Koh, you'll make a fine Wanderer one day. Better one than I was at any rate.
>>
>>46247004
>>I wanted to see how you were doing, that's all
I get kind of a father and son vibe from these two at times.
>>
>>46247049
>you'll make a fine Wanderer one day

Well y'know. If the job is still around that is. I feel like the Nameless Temple is going to get Order 66'd soon.
>>
You wanted to see how he was doing, for one thing. With things being what they are, it pays to keep an eye on your friends.

“I'm hanging on in there,” Koa nods, forcing a smile, “That's about the only thing we can say these days, isn't it?”

Again with the old man talk - “these days”. Koa is barely old enough to remember any other days. Now, when you were young...

“Now who's talking like an old man?” the apprentice shoots back as he finally stoops to retrieve his fallen sword, “I get it though. All this stuff... I get the feeling, sometimes, that it's been brewing since before I was even born. Like, maybe even before you were born, you know? Maybe the only one here who was around when this stuff started is...” pausing, Koa nods upwards, “Him, you know. The Mentor.”

Well, he's certainly old enough. The mention of the Mentor sours your slowly recovering mood slightly, and you have to fight back a frown. You might be gone for some time, you warn Koa, and you'll need someone you trust to keep an eye on things here. The Mentor is... having some trouble, you add carefully, and so Koa needs to watch things from the ground up. You'll be back as soon as you can, but there's no way of being certain when that might be. Or even if...

“It's dangerous, then,” Koa guesses, “Of course it is. I mean, when is it not dangerous?”

There was that newborn child you blessed, you point out, that's the kind of menial burden Koa should have been shouldered with. Not... this.

“Never liked babies much,” the boy shrugs, smiling a little more honestly this time, “Soldiers aren't much better, but I'd take them over babies any day.”

At last, a genuine laugh escapes you.

[1/2]
>>
>>46247363

He's a good kid, you say when you manage to recover your sides, and he'll make a fine Wanderer one day. Better than you ever were, maybe. Perhaps it's the wrong thing to say, because Koa sobers up quickly.

“You think so?” he asks, his voice dropping low.

Of course, you reply, he's got the right mind to be a Wanderer. Not only that, but-

“No,” Koa shakes his head vigorously, his hair flopping back and forth, “I mean, do you really think there might be Wanderers for much longer? I kinda feel that we're... redundant. The Emperor doesn't seem to like us much – he's got us all under armed guard, after all – and maybe... maybe there won't be gods for us to deal with in the future. I shouldn't say stuff like this, I know, but it bothers me sometimes. Now more than ever.”

The future, you tell him carefully, isn't for either of you to know. Maybe he's right, and the Nameless Temple is a relic from a bygone age – that would make you a fossil then, wouldn't it? You're not fit for the museum yet though, so you'll still do everything you can to protect the land – and the people who are important to you.

“Hey, reminds me,” Koa says, snapping his fingers, “Howa was looking for you. I mean, she always is, but now more than ever. She'll be in the archives, I bet. You going to see her?”

>I'd better, or she'll hunt me down. See you later, Koa
>I can't spare the time. I'm pushed as it is
>I just need to ask something first... (Write in)
>Other
>>
>>46247503
>>
>>46247503
>>
>>46247503
>>
File: Howa.png (763 KB, 650x885) Image search: [Google]
Howa.png
763 KB, 650x885
You'd better, you tell Koa with a joking – or is it? - smile, or she'll hunt you down. You'll see him later, though, and you'll write if you can. No guarantee, though – where you're going, there might not be a convenient outpost.

Koa takes that news strangely, as if he can't quite figure out where you could be going, but returns your farewell. The path from the sparring rooms to the archives isn't a particularly long one, but you pass nearly a dozen soldiers along the way, some of them looking no older than the apprentices themselves. One of the few good things about the soldiers is that most of them look bored, and not actively suspicious or hateful. These are beaten down men and boys, forced to patrol the halls of a building many of them only heard about in rumours and stories. The situation can't favour them much, either.

At the archives, you head straight to Howa's desk and spot her immediately. For obvious reasons, she isn't the type to wander far from her chosen haunt. You sit down opposite her and give her a weary attempt at a smile, one that she returns with only a shade more enthusiasm.

“At least we don't get many soldiers down here,” she remarks, leaving the typical greets as an afterthought, “Hello Ira. You look... tired.”

You feel tired, you tell her. Then, with the air of someone unburdening themselves of all their sins, you recount the events of the past few days. Everything, leaving nothing out, that happened since you left the Nameless Temple. It's something you used to do often, telling her everything in a massive outpouring of conflicting emotions and bitter memories. She seems a little taken back, a touch surprised by the outburst, but her face soon softens into a sympathetic expression.

“Oh, Ira,” she murmurs when you're finally finished, but she says nothing else. What more was there to say?

[1/2]
>>
We haven't heard from Aya in a while. I wonder what she's up to.
>>
>>46247832

“That could have been you,” she adds a moment later, wincing at how crass it must sound, “Every time you go out there, it could be you, suffering like Tawn suffered. I wish I could do something, anything, to help.”

She helps, you assure her, by being here. By giving you something, someone, to come back to.

“That won't help much, will it? It won't help when you're face down in some miserable field, bleeding out...” Howa continues, a faint skein of tears glistening in her eyes as she rants, “What good will it do, having someone to come back to if you CAN'T come back? Tell me that, Ira!”

She's not going to take the news very well. This is probably a bad time, you warn her, but you need to go away for quite some time. It's important business, and not something you can pass onto someone else. Perhaps it's the calm, quiet way that you deliver this news, because it cuts off Howa's rant in an instant. Instead, she sags back in her seat and gazes up at the archive ceiling, a slow sigh escaping her.

“So that's it, then,” she says quietly, “When do you leave?”

Soon, you reply, as soon as possible in fact. In the silence that follows, Howa leans forwards and places her hand atop your own, drawing some new strength from the simple moment of contact.

“Stay,” she pleads, “Just one night. Just for a few hours. I mean, you'll need time to dig up information, won't you? To know what you're getting into. I can have Sanae find it, whatever you're looking for...”

She's desperate, you realise, as if some treasonous voice tells her that you won't come back.

>I'll stay, but not for any research.
>I can't stay. This is too important
>There was something I needed you to look into... (Write in)
>Other
>>
>>46248176
>>I'll stay, but not for any research.
>>
>>46248176
IT'S HAPPENING.
>>
>>46248176
>I'll stay, but not for any research.
>>
>>46248176
Shits rough. Triply so since she used to be able fight with us.
>>
You'll stay, you promise her, but not because of any research. You know how tough it must be for her, trapped here while you risk your life out in the field. That's why you want to stay with her tonight, to make the most of the time you have together.

Howa, speechless and wide-eyed, can only wipe her eyes with a trembling hand. That's all the time she needs, and when her hand returns to the desk – touching against your own hand – she has a typically ironic smile on her lips. “When did you learn to talk like that?” she asks wryly, “You must have been taking lessons from someone. Ah, admit it – that's what you've been doing out there, isn't it? You were on a quest to learn the ways to woo a lady, weren't you?”

That's absolutely right, you deadpan, that's what all those important missions were all about. Amazing really, you think to yourself, how quickly her mood changed. What kind of feelings must have been churning beneath the surface to provoke such a burst of desperation?

Wait.

For so long, Howa had been a sister to you, a reliable older sister – although she was hesitant to put too much emphasis on the “older” part of that one – who was there when you needed her. In recent days, though, you had started to see her in another light. A woman, rather than a sister. Could it be, you wonder, that she had seen you in the same way? And if so, for how long? Before you can spent too long considering things, Howa taps you on the back of the hand to draw your attention.

“You've got that faraway look in your eye,” she points out, “Thinking back to those lessons of yours, to remember what to say next?”

Right now, you wish there had been lessons. You manage to say her name, but then your mind goes blank.

“Yes?” despite her best efforts, Howa can't keep a hint of nervous anticipation out of her voice.

>This is getting too weird for me
>How, exactly, do you feel about me?
>I think I might be falling in love with you
>Other
>>
>>46248576
>>
>>46248576
>>How, exactly, do you feel about me?
OH MAN. IT'S GETTING WARMER IN HERE.
>>
>>46248576
>>
>>46248576
>>
>>46248576
>>How, exactly, do you feel about me?
>>I think I might be falling in love with you
>>
>>46248576
>How long?
>>
>>46248576
>How, exactly, do you feel about me?
>>
How exactly, you ask slowly, does she feel about you?

“What kind of question is that?” Howa laughs, a shrill kind of giggle that speaks more of nervousness than any real humour. Her wandering, trembling hand roams across the desk before settling on a loose sheet of paper, bringing it up to fan her reddening cheeks. “I mean, Ira, what... why would you... Ira...”

You faced down Titanos, a howling demon of pure elemental rage, with more certainty than this. With about as much bravery as it took to lift your sword then – perhaps a little more, in fact – you force the words out. You asked that, you pause and clear your throat, because you might be falling in love with her. Those last words come out in a rush, yet each one feels like a weight dropping off your shoulders. Howa freezes at the first of them, not even daring to breath until you have finished speaking. Even then, in the moment of perfect stillness after you have fallen silent, Howa remains speechless.

“I thought...” she finally murmurs, but that's all she can bring herself to say for a long while, “I thought you'd never...”

It's not a rejection so much, but it wasn't really...

Pushing herself forwards, Howa lurches across the desk and presses her lips to yours, the desperate burst of energy saying what she cannot being herself to say. Closing your eyes, you let a wave of cool relief wash over you. Even you can decipher THAT signal. Just as you're smiling and leaning into the kiss, a cheerful whoop rings out. Breaking that magical second of contact, both you and Howa look around at the sound. Crouched behind one of the shelves, watching you with delighted eyes, is Sanae.

“Get out of here!” Howa, flush red with embarrassment, shouts, “Go... go read a book!”

[1/2]
>>
File: Congratulations Eva.webm (1 MB, 250x204) Image search: [Google]
Congratulations Eva.webm
1 MB, 250x204
>>46248962
>>
>>46248962

In the end, Howa has to lurch to her feet and chase her young – and giggling – assistant away, cursing and blushing all the while. You're just glad that Koa isn't here as well, although you're certain that word will reach him soon enough. When Howa returns, she is limping and breathless.

“The one time she isn't busy elsewhere!” Howa mutters darkly, “The ONE time!” When she returns to you, she wavers and nearly misses her next step. You stand quickly, the chair clattering as you knock it backwards, and reach out to catch her. How many times, you wonder as she falls into the weight of your body, has she done this? Falling and letting you “catch” her, just for that brief moment when she allowed herself to cling to your body.

Easy, you tell her, or she'll be flat on her back in no time.

“My,” she whispers, “I'd like nothing more. But... somewhere more private, perhaps?”

Probably a good idea, you admit as you hear the distant echo of military boots pacing the hallway, definitely a good idea. Supporting her, letting her lean into your body with her own slight weight, you begin to lead Howa out of the archives. She'll be leaving the front desk unattended, you tease, maybe you should wait a little.

“I've waited long enough,” Howa murmurs back, a low note of hunger in her voice, “I'll be damned if I'll wait a moment longer.”

Well, you tell her, you agreed to stay the night. That's enough, isn't it, to make up for lost time?

“It's a start,” she shoots back, her words brushing softly against your ear.

>That's probably a safe place to end things, I think! Next thread on Sunday, and I'll stick around in case of any questions.
>>
>>46249142
Nice! They both deserve some happiness.

Thanks for running Moloch.
>>
File: It's over.gif (23 KB, 310x760) Image search: [Google]
It's over.gif
23 KB, 310x760
>>46249142
The waifu bowl is over. Go home everyone.
>>
>>46249142
Make Kaz and/or Yellingbird write smut for this quest too
>>
>>46249204
>>46249215

They definitely deserved some happiness. I feel things have been a little too grim lately, so the moment comes at a good time!

>>46249216

I might try it myself. Maybe.
>>
>>46249285
>Moloch
>writing smut
Should I get the insulin ready or?
>>
>>46249323
Not enough in the world
>>
>>46249142
Thanks for running Moloch. Is Sans spreading the word even now? What will Koa's and Mentor's reactions be?
>>
>>46249323
>>46249390

I think I might be missing the joke. It's not that bad of an idea, is it?

>>46249403

Sanae isn't exactly spreading the word, but if anyone asks why she's grinning so much she won't really be able to keep quiet about it. I don't think Koa will be able to take the news with a straight face though - but I like to think he'd cheer on the relationship. The Mentor, of course, would be a little more reserved - relationships like these complicate matters. That said, he wouldn't really disapprove either.
>>
>>46249466
>spoiler
The joke is that it'll be too cute and give diabetes.
>>
>>46249466
They're saying it's going to be sweet unto diabetes. Hence the need for insulin.

I can imagine Howa and Ira getting old, her teaching the kdis the mental lessons while Ira teaches them the physical ones. And him leaving the temple met with "Oh Gods he left the temple, everyone flee!"
>>
>>46249559
>>46249561

Oh, I see now! I didn't realise my writing was especially cute or anything, so it never occurred to me. I'll take that as a good thing!

I will say though, the idea of Howa and Ira growing old and raising a family together is 2cute. It might even get the chance to happen!
>>
>>46249673
>It might even get the chance to happen!
not sure if I should be worried
>>
>>46249673
>It might even get the chance to happen!
YOU JINKED IT. YOU RUINED ALL THE SMILES.
>>
>>46249702
>>46249740

Well, things can always go wrong. Nothing is set in stone at this point!
>>
>>46249755
So everything going according to the emperors plan?
>>
>>46249844

What plan?
Really though, things are progressing more or less according to plan. The cult has more of a presence than the Emperor suspected, but - in his eyes at least - they won't be a problem for very long. He has a lot of faith in his military!
>>
>>46249919
He's not at all worried about the new tech?
>>
>>46250097

At first, he was a little concerned about it, yes.
It wasn't very well known up until very recently though. There was the belief that the cult troops had strange weapons, but without a captured example to study he had nothing to base any fears on. However, the recent attack did yield some examples of the new guns that are on their way back to the capital. They gave the cult an advantage, but it might not last for much longer!
Thread replies: 124
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.