[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>"Mecha" game >Expected sick fights in space
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8
File: 3553212222222.png (251 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
3553212222222.png
251 KB, 500x375
>"Mecha" game
>Expected sick fights in space
>DM loves pointing out flaws in designs and ALWAYS goes for the enemies shooting the legs so you're incapacitated because "dude realism lmao", only ever get ground combat, and you're not allowed to go fast ever

I'm mad right now, especially since he said it'd be close to Gundam.

I seriously hope none of you DMs do this.
>>
>>46241174
Have you tried talking to him?

I don't even mean this condescendingly. You should call him up right now and tell him why he's a faggot.
>>
File: RUINED FOREVER.gif (1008 KB, 500x281) Image search: [Google]
RUINED FOREVER.gif
1008 KB, 500x281
>>46241200
I'll second. Bate and switch is the epitome of faggotiry.
>>
File: 0277521245.png (74 KB, 180x254) Image search: [Google]
0277521245.png
74 KB, 180x254
>>46241200
I did. He said he'd "consider it" but that's how the game was supposed to be.

What happened in my original post happened after I talked to him.
>>
sounds like your DM forgot that games are meant to be fun

have you tried arson
>>
What an asshole.

If you're going to bitch about realism in a mech game, you shouldn't be running a fucking mech game.
>>
>>46241174
>he thinks shooting at legs is "realism"
Tell that motherfucker about center mass.
>>
>>46241174
>Mecha game
>Not mech
>mecha
>like Gundam
>realism
Why do people do this shit?
>>
>>46241219
Leave. Just Leave. If he asks why, tell him flatly you didn't sign up for this.
>>
"Realism", like everything else, have a time and place where's it's appropriate.

A tabletop game about giant robots is not one of those times.

The very fucking concept of giant humanoids robots you can pilot is unrealistic.

I'm mad.
>>
>>46241415
My first guess is "because it's subversive, you just don't appreciate it".
>>
>>46241174
Watch Patlabor (original OVA), see how you feel afterward.

>>46241415
The original Gundam was a mech show, not a super robot.

OP sounds like this or patlabor.

Either way, the legs are the most heavily reinforced part of a machine, so this hardly makes complete sense, shooting joints, or sensors should be key. So, knee joint, or hip joint, sure but legs all over less so.
>>
>>46241540
>Ground Combat
>Mecha are slow
>"muh realism"
>points out flaws in mecha

I am pretty sure OP's GM is just someone who equates "being clever" with "being an asshole", and "being right" with "being in the right".
>>
>>46241174
Just exchange your shitty mech for a tank.
From a realistic point of view, the tank is superior in every way. (just not as cool)
>>
>>46241540
>0079
>Being similar to Patlabor
>When there's newtype super bullshit already happening, a "learning computer" and the god damn Gundam itself being a combiner

Granted, It IS more realistic than most shows at the time, but even then, the only times they tried to strike the joints and deal structural, precise damage, was in that one episode with Zeon soldiers trying to pre-emptively blow up the Gundam. It wasn't them spamming rockets at the legs and ruining a fight scene, and it was a one-off thing.

Even then, Gundam battles are fast, not a slog.
>>
File: gotta go fast.jpg (227 KB, 1898x640) Image search: [Google]
gotta go fast.jpg
227 KB, 1898x640
>>46241174
Well, to be honest, disabling your opponent's mobility is a valid tactic that a lot of people use.

...In fucking videogames, not giant robot combat to the death, which the game is about.

Though, knowing how lethal some of the mecha game systems are, this could be a blessing, because getting your sensor arrays or weapons shot off is worse than not being able to move.

As for going fast, I am not really sure, but not that many systems expect players to be going at sanic speeds. I managed to build a flying mecha that went at Mach 2 in under 100 Mekton Zeta build points (100 points is a a mook-level mech). Had to make a houserule in which going fast gave the person shooting at you penalties, otherwise there was no benefit to that kind of speed, except for getting from A to B or into melee rapidly. There was also that other thread about Shadowrun where people almost achieved escape velocity on a ground vehicle. A GROUND VEHICLE.

Your DM is still a fag because these are very easily houserulable mechanics, though.
>>
>>46241609
The Newtype super bullshit doesn't really come in until Revil shows up and mentions it, if I remember correctly.
>>
>>46241637
That's true, It was more of an asspull by Tomino.

There's still rather unrealistic elements in the show, not just newtypes, though.

Again, my main gripe with my DM is his insistance on "structural damage" to damage your shit so you're incapacitated for the rest of the session, and being forced to be a slow motherfucker who can't even fly around.
>>
>>46241663
Why are you still in this game?
>>
Also OP why the fuck were you not in my sick-ass Gundam Build Fighters knockoff game, being on another continent is no excuse

I'd have let you do all that fun shit on condition you put that jackass who took GOTTA GO FAST to broken extremes in his place
>>
>>46241669
I am, but I'm seriously considering on quitting, even if he's my friend. I'm probably gonna leave, I can't stand this crap.

>>46241670
If I knew about it, I would've been part of it. I've got a terrible work schedule too so that's not helping.
>>
>>46241683
I was half-kidding, the game was in person around a table in some North-West English university building. Feel bad for you though bro.
What system's he using? Mine was Battle Century G and it was great fun.
>>
>>46241702
Mekton. So I had to deal with the autism of mecha building and then deal with the autism of my DM.
>>
>>46241717
>mekton
Jesus, you poor bastard, not even Chromestrike?
Seriously though, tell him pic related
>>
>>46241717
Leave. Call him a faggot on the way out.
>>
>>46241174
>go fast
>ground combat
Have you considered the Assault Guntank?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ReXRmB78cp0
>>
File: What's in here.webm (878 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
What's in here.webm
878 KB, 1280x720
>>46241717
Yeah, he's a doublefaggot.

Feel free to tell him the internet called him a fag.
>>
>>46241579
>>46241609
Not disagreeing.
I was kust trying to gauge OPs focal plane.
>>
>>46241779
>>46241758
Welp. Sent him a message saying I won't show up to next session.

Maybe one day i'll play a real mecha game.
>>
>>46241829
Keep us posted on what he says. I'm betting on whining.
>>
>>46241829
Tell us if he has a spergy meltdown at you.
>>
>>46241626
>force of impacting something
Aaaaaahhhh that's so wrong
>then comparison to steady rocket thrust
>>
File: Clowns.gif (2 MB, 320x240) Image search: [Google]
Clowns.gif
2 MB, 320x240
>Ruining a fun game idea for "muh realism"
Why is this tolerated?
>>
>>46243836
Lack of communication.

OP wanted a fun tropey mecha game.

OP's GM wanted to have fun deconstructing fun tropey mecha games. The GM was an idiot (in the literal sense) for assuming that the players would be on board with something that was never specified.
>>
>>46241174
>especially since he said it'd be close to Gundam.
This could be just because Gundam is the second most normalfag mecha franchise in the west after Transformers; so people have it in their heads that "has mechs=like gundam".
>>
>>46242012
What would it be, then? Genuinely curious.
>>
File: dem cockpits.jpg (307 KB, 1024x841) Image search: [Google]
dem cockpits.jpg
307 KB, 1024x841
>>46241174

>I want to play a ZOE campaign.
Just go balls to the wall, anon.
>>
>>46241174
Maybe he meant the original Mobile Suit Gundam? They couldn't fly back then and were vulnerable to precise shots.
>>
>mecha game
>realism factoring in it

Who even lets people like these GM in the first place?
>>
>>46246329
Even if they couldn't fly, there were still space fights. And they were vulnerable to beam rifle shots or hyper launchers/lot of explosives, like every mobile suits, not structural damage with ballistics. Only very lightly armored areas like the sensors would be targetted by that.

I don't remember getting shot in the sensors before I left.
>>
>>46241829
Tell us more.
>>
>>46246329
The original Gundam is even more super-robot due to the production habit and the fact they still had to sell toy to kids.

We had hollow-shell jet fighters, Gundam throwing spiked ball at people, Zaku punching Zaku
Its not really realstic in any sense.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.