[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is fantasy inherently romantic? I love enlightenment themes,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3
File: 1412982928159.jpg (32 KB, 480x454) Image search: [Google]
1412982928159.jpg
32 KB, 480x454
Is fantasy inherently romantic?

I love enlightenment themes, but I prefer the fantasy aesthetic

Are there any settings which reconcile the two? If not, how would you do it?
>>
Victorian setting with technological advancement and spiritualism.
>>
>>46238511
>think "Oh fuck this thread again"
>realize anon is talking about literary movements

Tolkienian fantasy is heavily romantic yes but you can.move away from that easily. The trick is to not elegize ye auld farming days when everything was idyllic and people lived in peace. Generally Dark Fantasy settings do this well, but pass up on the Optimism and progress of the enlightenment for "everything is shit forever, when it used to be great when demigods rules the world" or some shit.
>>
>>46238560
The victorian era was deeply romantic m8
>>
Eberron? It's a false dichotomy anyway.
>>
File: 1455487153011.jpg (153 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1455487153011.jpg
153 KB, 720x960
>>46238511
>I love enlightenment themes, but I prefer the fantasy aesthetic

So just run that. I don't see the issue, and you have already answered the 'how' in the second line of your post. Fantasy window dressing for enlightenment themes. Magic as a budding science emerging from the mire of superstition. Technology and the beginnings of academic sorcery empowering the masses. The world being opened up for exploration by way of taming magical beasts and finally codifying the underlying principles of divination.
>>
>>46239480
wat
>>
>>46239486
Spam
>>
>>46239480
Wrong thread, homie
>>
>>46239486
Don't bother with them. They've posted that shit to like half the threads and even started one trying to fish some shit up.
>>
Romantic adventure is violence in retrospect.
>>
File: Robespierre[1].jpg (16 KB, 353x347) Image search: [Google]
Robespierre[1].jpg
16 KB, 353x347
>>46238511
>He doesn't run Enlightenment themed fantasy
To the guillotine with you!

On a more serious note, what stops you from running a game in a republic? Even if you presume a democratic republic is an anachronism there were the medieval republics of Italy and the Greek city-states many of which were republican in nature. Just create a republic based on some elite bourgeoise administration, "muh property rights" and you're good to go. Venice, pretty much (though Montesquieu did describe Venice as a despotism rather than a Republic).
>>
>>46238511
>>46239362
This. Eberron is a perfect example of what you're looking for.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.