[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/5eg/ D&D 5th Edition General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32
>Official /5eg/ Mega Trove, contains all official 5e stuff:
https://mega.nz#F!UVkTnT5b!FJ34UZ98BMY2mEtexenS7g

>Pastebin with homebrew list, resources and so on:
http://pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

>/tg/ Character Sheet
https://mega.nz/#F!x0UkRDQK!l-iAUnE46Aabih71s-10DQ

Didn't see a general up (and if there is one up they didn't add the proper Subject line).
So I'll start with the question I was going to ask in thread.
Anyone DMing CoS have a clue where my players will go after getting their fortunes told?
I want to have some maps ready for them tomorrow, but I don't know what to build.
>>
>>46237390
What the fuck ching chong language are those tarot cards in?
>>
File: nice.jpg (268 KB, 777x578) Image search: [Google]
nice.jpg
268 KB, 777x578
>/5eg/ Discord server
https://discord.gg/0rRMo7j6WJoQmZ1b
>>
>>46237477
Sorry, wasn't in the last OP.
>>
>>46237390
Can a bonus action be used in between attacks if you have the Extra Attack class feature, rather than before or after the attack action?
>>
For DMing Death House, are items like the crossbows and jewelry destroyed/devalued upon exiting the house? They have gp values so I assume not?
>>
What magical secrets for a valor bard that wants to beat niggas up and cast buffs to beat them more
>>
>>46237738
As far as I know, and as far as I've been told, no.
>>
>>46237772
Anything on the first two floors is going to be devalued to hell, for the most part. Upper floors, maybe not, but probably. Depends on how much money you want th eparty to have, but just the jewelry and other specifically NOT corroding/rotting/crumbling stuff is a good reward for the danger involved.
>>
>>46237738
Depends on the bonus action you're using. If the timing isn't specified, you can likely use it during your Attack action in between your attacks.
>>
>>46237477
Nobody wants this except furries.
>>
File: I have a question.png (12 KB, 254x166) Image search: [Google]
I have a question.png
12 KB, 254x166
>>46237913
What is this meme?
>>
>>46237927
Furries are everywhere, and generally obnoxious.
>>
>>46237927
>>46237913
>>46237477
what even is discord? slack with voice option?
>>
>>46237419
Latinized Indo/ SE Asian language?

>>46237738
Seeing as how you can attack, move, atttack, move, I would argue that yes, you can break up your attack actions.

>>46237772
Only if the adventure specifically states. Be aware that there are four suits of armor (literally fullplate) in area 6. This poster (>>46237840) is a moron, and you should ignore them. The only things that wither are noted in the adventure.
>>
>>46237968
What, like Malay?
>>
>>46237968
>four suits of armor (literally fullplate)
I described them as decorative armor, thin metal, riveted together, not actual battle-ready plate.
>>
>>46237954
Fancy, secure IRC with voice chat.
>>
>>46237738
Context?
>>
>>46237968
>full plate

Citation needed nigger
>>
>46234615

Haven't made mush use of Goring Rush just yet, but I'm a grappling wizard with the minotaur. The horns are handy for me because I can grapple two different people and still Green-Flame Blade. You can't do that with normal grapplers because while unarmed strikes count as melee weapon attacks, they do not count as weapons which means they cannot be used with GFB. Basically, it boils down to grapple two people, then GFB to ruin days. It also just happens to be the highest-damage weapon he has! If you can sweet-talk your DM into letting those count as improvised weapons for Tavern Brawler, it becomes even better!
>>
>>46238021
First turn: Cast a spell as a standard action, cast Searing Smite (or any of the smite spells) as a bonus action.

Second turn: Use standard action to attack. On the first attack, Searing Smite is applied. Bonus action to cast another smite spell, second attack.

Would this be doable?
>>
>>46238157
I thought you couldn't cast a spell as an action and as a bonus action? I think you can only cast one per turn
>>
>>46238157
The single-action spell on the first turn would have to be a cantrip because of action economy rules. Otherwise... sure? However, to get any mileage out of Searing Smite damage-wise you couldn't cast another smite spell anyway, since it requires concentration.
>>
>>46238224
Easy, break concentration on the previous smite spell, as its effect has already been exhausted, and cast another one instead.
>>
>>46238004
You are free to do that, but there is nothing in the adventure that suggests such a view.

>>46238108
Suit of armor dictionary definition: a armor that protects the wearer's whole body
> armor that protects the wearer's whole body
> protects the wearer's whole body
> wearer's whole body
> whole body
> whole

Literally full plate as set out by description in adventure and by terms used throughout all of D&D editions. Fullplate covers the entire body and grants the most protection out of any mundane armor.
>>
>>46238252
It's decorative
>>
>>46238285
Citation needed. Otherwise ThatDM detected.
>>
>>46238252
I mean, if you are okay with your party walking out of a literal level 1 adventure with four sets of full plate, that's your prerogative. Personally, I would submit that the armor, like literally everything else on the first and second floor is an illusory machination of the sentient house, and as thus either tarnish to the point of unuse, or turn to ash altogether.
>>
>>46238224
The issue is that the Smite spells only function for the first successful attack after casting. So if that first attack hits, there is no point in keeping concentration on the smite.

Grabbing Magic Initiate for Hex+Eldritch Blast or Spell Sniper and EB could fill in for that first turn.
>>
>>46238305
Every other time there is usable equipment mentioned in the adventure the state of it and whether it is magical or not is specifically mentioned
>>
>>46238325
But that is factually incorrect. There is plenty of things that specifically state that they wither, but not the armor. Some things even wither but are still usable, such as the scrolls and deeds to the house and windmill.

Seeing as how most of the party cannot wear it, let alone carry it, sure, let them have it. Who are they going to sell it to in Barovia?

>>46238337
Actually, it specifically mentions if and how something withers. Not once does it specifically mention that something does not wither, unless it is necessary for further adventures. I literally have the adventure in front of me, so again [citation needed].
>>
>>46238249
>>46238329
Searing Smite specifically does damage over time, 1d6 fire damage at the start of the creature's turn. Otherwise you're only dealing an extra 1d6 fire damage, you'd be better off just spending the slot to smite.

>>46238339
Cure wounds is not a cantrip, so no.

If you cast a spell as a bonus action on your turn, the only other spell you cast that turn is a cantrip that takes one action to cast. Arbitrary? A bit. But them's the rules. See chapter 10 of the PHB.
>>
>>46238339
If you cast a spell using a bonus action you can only cast a cantrip using an action in the same turn. The second part is fine, you can take a bonus action at anytime in a turn unless otherwise mentioned
>>
>>46238397
Furthermore, the adventure specifically mentions any decorative pieces throughout the house. The armor is just described as armor, not decorative or nonfunctional.
>>
>>46238397
I LITERALLY have the adventure in front of me as well. Go to any other section where weapons or armor are found and you'll note that the adventure SPECIFICALLY mentions it as usable
>>
>>46238405
Ahhh, I was thinking of it from the perspective of the other smites. I'm not very familiar with paladins other than Divine Smite for monsters with class levels.
>>
>>46238397
Anon, if you are running CoS word for literal word from the book, you are going to have a bad time and your players are going to have a bad time.
>>
>>46238461
Den of wolves: the crossbows are not listed as usable. Your argument is invalid.

Room 25e: chest contains silver shortsword. Not listed as usable. Your argument is invalid.

>>46238463
My player's have been immensely enjoying themselves, even when they had to sell Fullplate for 30gp each because they couldn't manage to carry it all over Barovia.
>>
Question: Does it specify Plate armor? If not, and if you're worried about it, just say it's something else.
>>
>>46238504
goes to >>46238432
not original quote. Sorry.
>>
>>46238509
It says "suit of armor". Common sense says it's fullplate. But obviously a DM is welcome to describe it as anything else. But then it is not a "suit of armor".
>>
File: 123445234.gif (841 KB, 335x425) Image search: [Google]
123445234.gif
841 KB, 335x425
>mfw my players come across loot in death house
>"leave it for now, we'll grab it on the way out"
>>
>>46238339
If you cast a spell as a bonus action, then the only spells you can cast with your action are cantrips.

Now, if you, say, cast a cantrip, then used Thundrous Smite, then on your next turn you wanted to attack, smite, and attack, then that would be fine, as the text for Bonus Actions say that you choose when to use them on your turn, and there's no language to suggest you *can't* slip it in between attacks. (Some bonus actions will specify when you can use them, so, that may be a limiter in those cases.)

However, if you wanted to argue the other way, there's language that explicitly states that you can move between attacks, and there's nothing like that for bonus actions. So you can't use a bonus action between your attacks.

The first option is more dynamic and feels more natural. I'm pretty sure it's how things were intended.
>>
>>46238558
>>46238509
>>46238509
>tfw you always make generic "suit of armor" a set of splint so the party doesn't fight over it
>>
>>46238565
This is how you handle fulllplate shennanigans, you fucking whiners. Stop being ThatDMs and follow the Grinch's advice.
>>
>>46238558
and if you describe it as anything other than what is in the book you might as well throw the book in the trash, and also if you do chris perkins will kick your door down and slap your shit and call you names
>>
>>46238558
It could be Padded
>>
>>46238558
I would disagree. Scale mail and splint armor could easily be a suit.

Also, there's a section on p56 that describes a suit of armor specifically being plate. Just saying.
>>
>>46238565
That face is appropriate
>>
>>46238618
>>46238586
>>46238615
>>46238588
>>46238587
And everyone else in the fucking thread: Read the fucking PHB. RIGHT NOW. Page 144 to 145. Full plate is the only armor that comes with a helmet. The armor described in the adventure has a visor helmet.
>>
>>46238646
Added helmet
>>
>>46238646
>guys I found this cool helmet, but it won't seem to go on my head since I am not wearing full plate. weird, huh?
>>
>>46238646
>Implying the DM isn't the arbitrator of the rules
>>
>>46238646
What page has the description of the armor anyway. I'm having trouble finding it.
>>
I'd feel like a dick if I turned a player into an NPC because they chose to become a vampire/lich

Should I just make this very obvious or just let em?
>>
>>46238649
>>46238658
Cucks. You know for a fact that the helmet of a suit of armor of a FUCKING NOBLE HOUSE in GODDAMN BAROVIA is not just ramshackle slapped together.

>>46238663
I am the DM. Running it in AL (got confirmation from local adjudicator) and in private game.

>>46238666
144-145 in phb, pg 213 (room 6) of Curse of Steve.
>>
File: u mad guido saiyan.jpg (48 KB, 483x362) Image search: [Google]
u mad guido saiyan.jpg
48 KB, 483x362
>>46238698
>>
>>46238695
There's nothing wrong with explaining to your players that becoming a vessel of Evil will make them unfitting to be a PC.

They might still want to do it, but they'd be resigning the character.
>>
>>46238698
>DMing for AL
And you have the nerve to call anyone else a cuck?
>>
>>46238698
Sir, you seem to be getting rather upset.

Perhaps you should calm down
>>
>>46238723
I'm getting $30 a session in store credit usable on anything in the store. Yes, I happily call you and everyone here a cuck. I get paid to DM.
>>
>>46238698
Fucking weird. I think it's the only section in the book not to mention what kind of armor it is. p57 mentions a suit of chain, though.
>>
>>46238698
>runs AL
>way MAD
>calling others cucks

o i am laffin

fuck off, lance
>>
>>46238737
So let me get this straight. Your response to the generalization of AL DMs as shit-heads was to substantiate the allegations by being a shit-head?
>>
>>46238742
Hey, that wasn't even me!
>>
>>46238763
Do you just show up when people say your name?

Also, how does it feel being the least used weapon in the PHB?
>>
>>46238738
I concede the "suit = full plate" argument, though stand by my other reasons that it is full plate armor.

Additionally, if it is not full plate, the animated armor the next floor up look far too out of place.

>>46238742
Not Lance. Care to guess again?

>>46238760
> Oh noe
> Anonymous doesn't liek me
> Such is way of 4chan

You are a cuck.
>>
>>46238777
You got banned
>>
>>46238771
>lance least used
>not glaive

cmon son
>>
>>46238786
Nope. Try again.
>>
>>46238803
Yeah man you did
>>
>>46238808
From 4chan? Nope. From my local FLGS? Nope. Just ran last night. Running again next week.
>>
>>46238796
>using a halberd instead of a glaive
Shiggy diggy doo
>>
>>46238777
>Additionally, if it is not full plate, the animated armor the next floor up look far too out of place.

Now THAT is a fair point.

>>46238771
Still feels awkward when someone does use one.
>>
>>46238786
We could only hope.

>>46238796
>>46238771

What about the trident? Worse in every way than the spear. More expensive, heavier, same good properties, and it is a martial weapon meaning it is harder to get proficiency in it. You would think that the better weapon of the two would be the martial...
>>
>>46238796
I game with a bunch of Belegarth stick jocks. Most of them are either hardcore casterfags in 5e, or they basically just play their field persona in game. That means a lot of greatswords and glaives.
>>
new shitposting-free thread when?
>>
>>46238839
What's the pitcher's name?

Because that's your answer.
>>
>>46238285
>>46238397
>>46238420

seeing as 6 suits of full motherfucking plate mail are going to cost upwards of 9000 gold, you can safely assume they are decorative and not made of tempered steel. Even the richest of nobles would be retarded to spend that amount of gold on 6 suits of full battle-ready plate simply to put on decoration in some hall. Let's also not forget to mention that this is a haunted manor, no doubt been so for generations, the armor is also probably rusted to shit and beyond use, at least without heavy and expensive modifcations to the suit. Let's ALSO not forget that this armor is probably not sized to any of the party either, because platemail, and any other armor for that matter, is sized to the character's needs. You cannot just don any ol' suit of plate.

It is definitely not That DM'ing to disallow your players to get the best standard heavy armor in the game at level one, just because a module puts 6 suits, that are unlikely to even be usable in the first place, in front of them. it IS That DM'ing if you don't allow your players to try it on and find out for themselves how retarded the decision was.

May be the book says it's usable, may be it doesn't, I don't care. It doesn't make much sense at all and I wouldn't allow my players to walk out of that house with 6 suits of full plate, because it will almost surely ruin a lot of the vibe Ravenloft is supposed to deliver early on.
>>
>>46238863
I don't know; I kind of like the image of the armors actually being possessed and then attacking the party when they try to sell them (and meat-puppet anyone who wore it!) ^-^
>>
What are some decent Imp/Pseudodragon tier Familiars to let a GOOlock use instead of the usual choices?

Could I just say "anything Challenge 1, within reason" and see what they come up with?
>>
>>46238863
That's a pretty good point. the options are either
>The armor is 100% real, been in the house for 200 years, would be rusted to shit
>The armor is a figment of the house, and like the described silverware, tarnishes when removed from the house
>>
>>46238895
Is there a specific entity for the GOO pact?
>>
>>46238891
Ha, if you wanted to go that route, you could turn them each into magical demon platemails all with chaotic-evil egos.
>>
>>46238863
I'd basically rule it that the suits get too damaged in the fight.
>>
>>46238895
A flumph.
>>
>>46238910
Copypasta'd straight from the pdf

Pact of the Chain. Your familiar is more cunning than a
typical familiar. It's default form can be a reflection of your
patron, with sprites and pseudodragons tied to the Archfey
and imps and quasits lied to the Fiend. Because the Great Old
One's nature is inscrutable, any familiar form is suitable for it.
>>
>>46238895
Check out page 306-307 of the DMG for the list of CR 1 monsters

Most CR1 monsters are actually a lot stronger than Imps/Quasits, which make up for it with utility abilities.
>>
>>46238915
Now you're getting into the Ravenloft spirit!
>>
>>46238931
No, no, no. I mean, what entity did the character make a pact with. That might imply a certain form.
>>
>>46238910
There are no specific entities for any pact concerning familiars, just a greater choice of them.

>>46238895
If you DM was any good they'd have you pick one of the available options, and just let you refluff it so it's not literally an imp or flying little dragon. Like a floating eye-ball-octopus thing that's basically a pseudo-dragon. That weird telepathy thing is pretty fucking weird now, isn't it?
>>
>>46238945
Fuck off, Lance.
>>
>>46238937
>>46238895

Remember that the other qualification is that the familiar has to be Tiny. The only creatures I can think of that fit that fit that criteria are the Pixie and some colors of the Faerie Dragon.
>>
>>46238909
This is exactly my point, good thinking. Even if one of my players was a module reading faggot and tried with all his might to argue me into submission on the subject, I'd give him the benefit of being a cock gobbling faggot and let him abide by the classic AD&D 2e rule for armor that isn't fitted to his exact specifications.

#1: if it is not a suit for that of it's race or gender, the armor WILL NOT fit.

#2: roll percentile dice. Unless a roll of 10% (I can't remember, but I think the number is even lower for full plate, like 3% or 4%) or lower is made, the armor WILL NOT fit.
>>
>>46238959
Indeed.

Some other good familiars could be Homonculus or Crawling Claw
>>
>>46238945
He just went with some not even sentient space potato to keep it from interfering with the plot since they're new and don't want to get in the way.

>>46238951
That's a decent idea too
>You see a Raven
>Person does a check/has truesight
>Sees it's acually a floating squid eyeball/tooth ball
>Just give it Imp stats
>>
>>46238955
What is this meme?
>>
>>46238959
Where does it say that?
>>
File: 116.jpg (21 KB, 456x628) Image search: [Google]
116.jpg
21 KB, 456x628
New DM here, I have a few questions.

First of, I'm trying to design a multiple stage encounter, and I'm having a hard time calculating CR for it. Let's assume I have a party of 6 level 2 players. A deadly encounter is 1200 Adjusted XP.

Assuming I do three encounters in a row, where one is a CR1 + CR2 (which totals to 650 Adjusted), the second is the same, and the third is a CR2 (225 adjusted) does that mean that overall the 3 stage encounter amounts to 1525 Adjusted XP, and is, therefore, a deadly encounter?

As for my second question, if a monster has Spellcasting and the Multiattack feature reads as follows:

Multiattack. The priest makes two melee attacks or two ranged attacks.

Does that mean the Priest can use two touch or ranged spells in one turn, or is this restricted to just melee and ranged _weapons_?

Thanks in advance.
>>
>>46239036
Multiattack is an action, as is casting a spell. Unless the creature can perform multiple actions per turn, it can either cast a spell, or attack twice.
>>
I'm going to create a 5e compatible set of Dark Powers checks. It's such a cool mechanic of the Ravenloft boxed set, I can't resisit using it.
>>
>>46239036
Still need input on the multi-stage encounter CR question.
>>
>>46239036
If there's no break in between the encounters for at least a breather (for use of potions and out-of-combat healing and such), consider them all the same encounter. That's in the encounter-building section of the DMG, I'm pretty sure.
>>
>>46239197
So what you're telling me is that the difficulty of facing a CR2 accompanied by a CR1, twice, then a CR2 by himself, has the same difficulty of facing 3 CR2s and 2 CR1s at the same time? That doesn't seem right.
>>
File: What are birds.gif (999 KB, 250x251) Image search: [Google]
What are birds.gif
999 KB, 250x251
Okay, so I have a loose idea about how Liches and their phylacteries work, but would it be possible for something other than a gem or other such inanimate object?
Say, a Dracolich? And the Dracolich's phylactery to be the lich?
>>
>>46239232
Dumb phylactery bullshit has been part of D&D campaigns for decades, anon. Go wild.
>>
>>46239232
>phylacteries
> a small leather box containing Hebrew texts on vellum, worn by Jewish men at morning prayer as a reminder to keep the law.
>>
>>46239036
>>46239189

I'm not quite sure what you mean by it honestly. Let's start with your definition of an encounter. An encounter is usually a single event the players must overcome before moving on to another encounter. So a string of rooms back to back doesn't count as one encounter, but multiple separate ones. It doesn't always have to be a combat encounter either, and I wouldn't recommend having multiple back-to-back fighting encounters unless your players want that. Throw in some puzzles or NPC encounter. Even a skill check can count as an encounter.

Now, regarding combat and balancing it, challenge rating refers to how difficult a creature is for a party of 4 players to defeat. If you throw a CR 2 creature at a party of four level 2 players, it counts as a difficult encounter If I remember correctly. That isn't always true for some monsters, but use it as a reference. If you plan to go against the grain and make your players face multiple combat encounters back-to-back, you should give them the possibility of resting before one of the other encounters, so they don't go in and fight an even stronger foe and get fucked because they used all their abilities or bled all their HP in another fight.
>>
File: I LOVE IT!!.gif (2 MB, 355x200) Image search: [Google]
I LOVE IT!!.gif
2 MB, 355x200
>>46239246
Oh good
One of them is always gonna run from the fight, so the other can regenerate from them as long as one of them survives
It's gonna make for a hella fun BBEG who keeps forgetting their names and then gets slightly annoyed they keep killing his pet
>>
>>46239297
I sincerely hope by that you mean that the lich is the pet.
>>
>>46239320
>that has to be the twist.
>>
>>46239287
Allow me to explain what I mean step by step.
Assume the party arrives at a room where they find the big bad for that section of the story accompanied by a minion. Say the big bad is CR2 and the minion is CR1.

The group defeats them. Drawing from a nearby power source and depleting it, the big bad and his minion return to life to fight the group once more.

The group defeats the two again, and the big bad sacrifices the minion to recover his health in a last ditch attempt to stop the heroes.

Since they don't get a break between fights, it is, effectively, a multi-stage encounter. I'm just trying to understand how to calculate the CR for it.
>>
>>46239320
After being killed so many times they start to bleed into each other until there's basically two of the same narcissistic and condescending guy taunting the PCs at every turn
>>
>>46239036
Alright, I was wrong about the multipart encounters thing.

Each wave is a separate encounter, but be careful on making more than 1/3rd of the adjusted adventuring XP per character in one multipart encounter.
>>
File: 5e multipart encounters.png (157 KB, 342x281) Image search: [Google]
5e multipart encounters.png
157 KB, 342x281
>>46239393
I forgot the pic.
>>
>>46239402
That still doesn't answer my question in regards to CR. Say the first encounter is CR2+CR1 (650 adjusted), the second one is the same, and the third one is a single CR1 (225).

Does the multipart encounter have a CR of 1525 (the sum of the three encounters) or 2625 (3 CR2s and 2 CR1s simultaneously)?

Also I've read that part and I still can't understand what it means by 'the encounter is going to be tougher than the sum of its parts".

Sorry if I seem dense, but it's my first time designed an "abnormal" encounter.
>>
>>46239339
You'd treat it as though they were fighting three CR 2 creautes, (assuming the BB is restored to full health), and two CR 1 creatures, assuming he is put back to full health.

With 6 shmucks wailing on only 2 guys, it shouldn't be too difficult for them to beat him, but should provide for a fine encounter, if not annoying in my opinion. Seeing the BBEG come back to life or fully heal twice is always a "oh my god just die" moment for me when playing. You could always have him call in some low CR minions, such as goblins or skeletons as a final last wave to add variation to the encounter.

I only ever use CR as a guideline. Encounter building always has, and probably always will be, an art form more than a science. Like I said previously, real challenge varies from creature to creature. Depedning on how effectively you as a DM control your NPCs, how many attacks the monster has, and how MANY appear, is what makes encounters in 5e truly difficult. powers that attack ability scores rather than armor class can be a real bitch for some classes. sleep spells can sometimes TPK low-level parties. Hell, the very first goblin encounter in Mines of Phandelver is a well known party killer, just because of the repeated surprise attacks the goblins can get off.
>>
>>46239339
So. Wave 1: (200+450)*1.5=975. Wave 2: 975 again. Wave 3: 450. Total: 975+975+450=2400.

Am I doing that right.?
>>
>>46239474
>>46239491
Assuming that adding up the individual adjusted XP is the correct way to do this, then as I exemplified before, the multipart encounter I designed is thus 1525 Adjusted, which is a Deadly encounter (1200 threshold) for a party of 6 level 2 players, is that right?
>>
>>46239517
Sorry, I'm new to this too. Why are you saying 650 is the adjusted number?
>>
>>46239474
Basically, yes. But like I said, only use the CR rules as a guideline. I feel they aren't very accurate at providing especially difficult or varying encounters. The mistakes to watch out for are including lots and lots of small CR creatures in one encounter, building one monster encounters with huge CRs way above the party total level, and putting only a single creature with equal CR of the total party level.

In the first example, if you are going to double or even triple the ratio of player to monsters, they better be really weak, or easy to drop quickly, because the more attacks going towards the players, the overall better chance they'll get hit.

In the second example, creatures with really high CR can be almost impossible to beat, due to their special abilities, High AC, and special resistances. It could be an easy encounter on the other hand, but their insanely high HP will simply drag out of the fight and make it a boring slugfest.

The final encounter will be way too easy for your players, because it is an inverse of the first example. All 6 players will gank up on the BBEG and fuck his shit up by round two. Always provide at least a few low CR minions to occupy a few of the players for the first round or two.
>>
>>46239542
Because it's a party of 6 players. Were it 3 to 5 players, it would indeed be 650*1.5.

You don't use any multipliers for an encounter with 2 enemies when you have 6 heroes. Conversely, a single enemy will have its adjusted XP be half of its standard XP given the difference in numbers between opposing sides. I checked using Kobold Fight Club.
>>
>>46239573
AH... derp. Next goddamn page.
Okay, so the encounter becomes 650+650+225=1525. This would indeed be a VERY deadly encounter for 6 lvl 2 adventurers based on the guidelines.
>>
>>46239232
How I see it is that a lich is binding their soul to something else, so anything that already has a soul attached to it wouldn't work very well or at all
However what you mentioned would work if they both bound their souls at the same time
>>
>>46239611
See, this raises another question with me. I never understood how actually 'deadly' these Deadly encounters are.

I'm running an homebrew now, but before I ran this I DMed Lost Mines of Phandelver with a group of RL buddies, and even though most of the encounters thrown at their face by the campaign would be considered 'Deadly' encounters (even the very first one), only once was there a player in danger of dying.

That's why I strive to make 'boss' fights correspond to a Deadly. Anything below Hard feels easy as fuck from what I've seen so far.
>>
>>46239641

refer to:
>>46239462
>>46239552

it seriously seems you two aren't reading all the replies to the topic.
>>
>>46239649
I did read through that and I get it that CR is meant to be a guideline. I played 4E for the longest time and I'm used to how mathematically simple it was to design encounters (and even monsters) there. You just needed to follow some tables and you were set with just the difficult you strived for.

I guess in the end I could always balance things on the fly when it comes to a multi-stage encounter. I appreciate all the advice given thus far in any case, I hope the encounter I have in mind isn't going overboard in difficulty.

Thanks again, /5eg/.
>>
>>46239707
It really isn't. It's likely they will cream them, even if they're technically fighting three CR 2s and two CR 1s. The reason they will is because they're still technically out numbering them 2 to 1. number of enemies being faced at one time is probably the biggest difficulty factor for combat encounters. 4th edition was a very video-gamey edition, and was built around hack n' slash encounters, and thus needed to be accurate in combat encounter building, but with pretty much any other edition, encounter building skill can only be tempered with experience.

All the wizard has to do is put the boss to sleep and, poof, three CR 2s are turned into one.
>>
What's the best archer fighter path?

I've heard Battle-master, but I've also heard Knight.
>>
>>46239773
Battlemaster is probably best.
Knockdown, pushback and frighten from 300ft is pretty great.
>>
Does anyone think that 5e is just....too easy? We aren't even min/maxing at level 3 and we're getting lethal encounters thrown at us constantly. I remember this shit happening about 10 years ago and we'd shit our pants.

Maybe it's just me getting so used to the D&D template that I've found it easy, but it just feels way too easy.
>>
>>46239773
EK is better for melee due to access to defensive spells. Battle Master can do a lot of their stuff at-range and Precision Strike with the Sharpshooter feat lets you throw around the -5 atk/+10 dmg bit way more often than a melee person can (especially with the flat +2 that the Archery fighting style gives you).
>>
>>46239794
5e is notoriously lethal at low-levels and is widely variable beyond that. Action economy (number of attacks, number of ally turns vs. number of enemy turns) is usually king.
>>
>>46237999
Actually, it's Indonesian.
>>
>>46239893
133 posts later, my question is answered. Thank you, kind anon.
>>
>>46239794
If you want difficulty, just go back to AD&D, B/X, or BECMI. I've always liked those more anyway, but my party doesn't appreciate old school d&d nearly as much as I do.
>>
>>46239794
give me an example of a lethal encounter

how many in the party
>>
File: random.png (42 KB, 763x409) Image search: [Google]
random.png
42 KB, 763x409
>>46240084
>>
>>46240111
An example that your party has faced.

4 man level 3 party
>>
how did scarecrows and then blights beat wereravens as wereravens are immune to physical nonmagical damage
>>
>>46237390
http://vocaroo.com/i/s0aQoLvQgOnz
>>
>>46240119
That wasn't him, but a party of five fighting about 10 bandits all at equal level to us. With me being a Wizard/Cleric, two monks, a rogue, and a fighter. Everyone but me was getting really shitty rolls. With our party average being an 8 throughout the whole battle. I was rolling upper teens most of the battle except a nat 1 and a couple singles. There is no way we should have survived that, especially with me being an unoptimized piece of shit Bladesinger and the rogue unable to think things through. He sleight of handed a potion off of one of the monks, it was actually paralysis poison he keeps for training.
>>
>>46240316
bandits don't have a level
>>
>>46240316
10 bandits vs 5 level 3s is an Easy encounter, champ
>>
>>46240338
>>46240348
They were given PC levels to compensate for the fact that we destroyed 5 bugbears and 3 goblins at level 2.

Pretty sure the DM is adding MM entries wrong or something. I was DM before and that would have just annihilated them.
>>
>>46240354
There you go then
>>
I have one more question. Game Balance.

Does anyone else think a properly kitted Bladesinger is a little too OP? Especially with those cantrips added in the SCAG? I actually run a DM approved variant for the Booming Blade and Blade Storm where I push them back 30 feet if they fail a save. No damage except the melee attack on them either. He also asked me if I wanted the Booming Blade (v) to be used with throwing weapons, so now I use daggers more than my longsword.
>>
>>46240416
I also only did this because I felt the damage for those, especially Booming Blade were way too high for cantrips. Plus more utility when you're a melee caster is useful.
>>
>>46240416
It's a wizard with a crunchy external shell. They're still soft, gooey, and easily-bruised on the inside. HP scaling is far more important than AC for any game that plays past the first few levels. They're not OP.
>>
>>46240452

Yeah you're right. I guess the fact that Wizards then have MAD balances out the decent melee fighting AND superior spellcasting ability they have.
>>
File: page.jpg (615 KB, 683x919) Image search: [Google]
page.jpg
615 KB, 683x919
Anyone know the fonts used in official D&D 5e documents?

Also any blank page templates?
>>
>>46240416
>X is OP
>I am not actually running X but homebrew X

Kill yourself
>>
>>46240483
So the fact that I didn't run it because I saw the bullshit of it means I should kill myself? I am running a Bladesinger because it's a cool character concept, but I switched out the fluffy spells into something a bit less powerful. Didn't want to show up my party members like the Paladin from the last game, especially since at least 2 of them are probably retarded.
>>
>>46240502
Kill
Yourself
>>
>>46240502
Swaps out 1d8 scaling damage for an at will 30 foot shove.

y dis op!?!??!
>>
Having a pretty good time with my druid. Jaw dropped when he saw the big ships in Silverymoon, and I'm a level and a half or so away from ALLOSAURUS.

Does anyone happen to have the Gunslinger and Witch-Hunter homebrew classes? A guy in my group wants to pay for them, but thankfully hasn't managed to do that yet.

Also thinking of rolling up a Wizard or other arcane caster. Any particularly good background for them? At a glance, I was thinking Guild Artisan for the fun, but not sure.
>>
>>46240559
They're free on the DMsGuild.

Well, technically they're pay what you want, but we all know what you want to pay is 0.
>>
>>46240592
Needs an account, and fuck that noise, but I'll let the guy know, thanks.
Speaking of guys, is there a good way to deal with Lawful Stupid paladins? Our rogue has a curse on him, and the paladin is all "if u turn evil ill kill u", as if that's a certainty or whatever.
>>
was there some kind of deal players could make when they die in Curse of Strahd? Or am I mistaken
>>
>>46240684
Literally hit the player in the head with a rolling pin. Lawful Stupid is a gene defect and needs to be cleansed.
>>
Amber Temple, X30. Preserved Library. Many spellbooks are hidden here, collectively holding every wizard spell in the Player's Handbook

Nigga wat
>>
File: burgerpants3.gif (7 KB, 217x216) Image search: [Google]
burgerpants3.gif
7 KB, 217x216
>>46240483
>>46240519

Come one man, how about some real constructive talk.

>>46240502
>>46240416

I don't think it's that OP, its just great utility wise
>>
>GM introduces a new homerule
>It's a disadvantage that can't be removed
>Only works on PCs
>All encounters at least have twice of that
GG, no really, but I'm out of here
>>
>>46240702

Nah, no deal, their souls are just trapped in Barovia forever, and getting rezzed gives you indefinite madness.
>>
>>46240771
Where is that mentioned in the adventure
>>
Damn, Wizard schools have changed since 3.5's bullshit.
>>
>>46240762
>It's less powerful because I say it is
You are pushing enemies 30 feet away, at will, while still doing weapon damage, at range, at level 1.
What is it about the actual cantrips that you think is broken that you think this is ok?
>>
>>46240780

Page 24, Resurrection madness.
>>
>>46240724
>with a rolling pin
He's actually studying to be a chef, that's appropriate.
>>
>>46240980
Raise dead can be expensive and characters won't have it until 9th level.

I suppose a new PC can be drawn to Borovia like the others
>>
>>46241007

I told my players their first PC's have to be core book races and classes only. If one dies, they can reroll using a Ravenloft Race that gets posted on here occasionally.
>>
>>46241020
What, like a Borovian/Vistani or a mongrelfolk?
>>
>>46241025

Yeah, one guy really wants to play a Dhampir. So I hope he doesn't end up suiciding just to be able to roll that character lol
>>
File: Goggles of nightmare vision.jpg (55 KB, 412x204) Image search: [Google]
Goggles of nightmare vision.jpg
55 KB, 412x204
>>46241037
>Dhampi
>>
Somehow the toughest decision I've had to make is bonus tool proficiency from Battlemaster
>>
>>46237390
With the digital map pack for CoS that's in the mega... how the hell can I take these files individually?

I use a tablet when I DM and it's very helpful to just have the .jpg or whatever of the individual maps on there.
>>
>>46241074
Gimme a sec
>>
File: Village of Barovia.jpg (7 MB, 2758x3500) Image search: [Google]
Village of Barovia.jpg
7 MB, 2758x3500
>>46241111
Don't worry about it, I figured it out. Thanks though.
>>
>>46241145
https://mega.nz/#!Xt5mBb4Y!x45myuy-YZL2hAemApOXdnp_Y1jC514uEMxd6QYDBQ0

Oh well here are the DM maps in JPG form anyway if someone wants them
>>
>>46238572
There's even bonus actions that have to be slipped in the middle of attacks like Wolf totem 14.
>>
Goddamn, after looking through the CoS PDF, I think this may be the best 5e adventure module yet.
>>
>>46240684
What's his oath and alignment? If he is literally any but lawful neutral or evil vengeance and he as much as rolls initiative against the rogue he falls
Literally that simple
The fall mechanic is there to pubish lawful stupid
If he is a lawful neutral vengeance paladin though, and just being all judge-dreddy about it the it's just damn fine roleplaying
>>
>>46241160
Well, this will certainly save me some time.

This should be added to the trove, trovemeister.
>>
>>46241216
The team is definitely getting better at this.
>>
>>46241216
Some serious fuck ups re cantrips in spell books however
>>
>>46241216
based perkins
>>
>>46241233
I'm pretty sure he's LG, not sure of his Oath. Either Devotion or Vengeance. Rogue is cursed (due to his own greed, admittedly), but the guy seems to presume that going evil is a sure thing. He's playing a bit of a crusader guy, we were in a temple to Elistrae (sp?), and his first idea was to burn it.
Still better than the oh-so-nuanced half-orc barbarian. Go ahead and guess about that guy.
>>
>>46241216
>>46241259
yep really glad Perkins is stepping up and taking a bigger role in making these adventures, WotC should just pay him to crank out modules
>>
>>46241273
>Elistrae
shes good aligned, pls don't burn down her temple
( ._.)
>>
>>46241288
i bet he has a Jacob's Ladder irl
>hwn break your boyhole
( ;_;)
>>
Gonna play Strahd as an asshole pun-lord

>Swings greatsword up at Strahd as he stands on the ceiling

"Now now, let's turn that frown upside down!"

>Gets a good hit on Strahd who turns into mist form.

"Looks you like you 'mist'...pfffthahahahahHAHAHAHAA"

>Party meets Strahd in one of the spire staircases.

"I never did trust these stairs. They're always up to something."
>>
>>46241289
I'm the druid, the one who identified her, gave her a prayer and a token offering of thanks (we ended up there after taking a super sekrit portal from a drow mansion).
And yeah, that's precisely what I meant. She's CG. She's the lady who REDEEMS drow, the one that people could point to and say "well not all drow are utter fuckers", and the dude's FIRST response is to crusade. I can dig it if you wanna tear down a statue of Lolth (I wasn't IC when he wanted that, but I wish he did, wanna see the curse), but dude, you're a PALADIN. Even if you didn't KNOW about her (I happened to roll Religion first), now that you DO know, think before you blurt BS.
>>
>>46241273
>lg devotion
His brain is dildos
If he makes another threat send him a deva in a dream or something to tell him he's being a dick and will be fired if he keeps it up
If he attacks the rogue he falls, becomes oathbreaker, deva comes down and tells him he can atone if he stops right now
If he actually kills the rogue, he loses the ability to atone, alignment changes to evil
If he continues to be a dick then send a planetar to erase him from the world
>>
>>46241314
>Eilistraee will never strip you nude and laugh at your feminine elf penis
(/\ ._.)
>>
>>46241336
I'm not the DM, just bitching about a fellow player.

>>46241344
>elf penis
I have a perfectly fine feminine human penis thank you very much
>>
>>46241313
Do it phaggot

This is the best strahd ever

>player casts illusion and Strahd breaks out
You got me! When did I become a SUCKER?

>Party tries to stake strahd
I distinctly remember not ordering the STAKE

>Party falls in a trap
Well it SUCKS to be you!
>>
>>46240354
How are the encounters being played? Give us a play by play.
>>
File: Displacer.png (923 KB, 1112x1498) Image search: [Google]
Displacer.png
923 KB, 1112x1498
I'm bored and feel like converting some old D&D stuff to 5e, so:

What spells, monsters or magic items from previous editions do you think 5e needs?
>>
>>46241425
none
>>
>>46241359
>I'm not the DM, just bitching about a fellow player.

What do you play? And for the record, if the paladin attacks the rogue then you should help the little guy defend himself
>>
>>46241425
I'm going to need the Swordmage spells that don't have Aegis riders from 4e.
>>
>>46241425
purple dragons
>>
>>46241425
There is actually a pretty expansive converted spell list

The cantrips are OP as all fuck though
>>
>>46241425
Race: Catfolk
Item: Book of Infinite Spells
Monster: Lolth
>>
>>46240472
https://mega.co.nz/#!dZBSCBSI!_Z3EDOc8RnFizNVvkGzyEBxVMKCN_MvgEv32K1Ql1r8
>>46241257
What do you mean?
>>
>>46241440
I'm the druid, and yeah, the second Pala slips up, I'm on the rogue's side. He might not be the best person, but he's not a dick.
Maybe not die over it, but he's definitely getting Eldritch Blasted (thanks, Spell Sniper), and/or mauled.
>>
>Curse of Strahd
>Bloodborne-inspired PCs.
>Strahd has been slain, Barovia is now free
>Mirror the maps, start Great Old One plot in a mirrored plane.
This will never happen.
>>
>>46241575
>says you
>>
>>46239014

It's assumed. By RAW, you only get the specified forms, but each form is identified by having forms that are both Tiny and are CR 0 (regular Find Familiar) or no more than CR 1 (Pact of the Chain).
>>
>>46241575

Strahd never truly dies. The PC's have about a month to leave Barovia before the cycle starts again. Once the PC's start unraveling the dark powers behind Strahds immortality to try and kill him once and for all, then shit gets REAL.

Great Old Ones don't fuck around.
>>
>>46241835
The Dark Powers aren't Great Old Ones. They have perfectly comprehensible motivations. They're the gods of ironic punishment and paying evil unto evil. They find the most wicked, stubborn, and self-deluded souls in the multiverse and inflict elaborate psychological torments on them, not because they deserve it, but because it's fun.
>>
>>46241575
>>46241835
>>46241896

The 3.5 version, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft actually had an optional subplot where Strahd was being controlled by things from the Far Realm
>>
The DMG recommends multiplying the encounter XP for multiple enemies when budgeting the encounter.

I assume this should be also in the rewards.

However, we are playing LMoP, and the group (lvl3 wizard-cleric-paladin) actually went ahead and attacked the Thai wizard and his 12 zombies, and won.

The book says I should award them 800XP (divided by person). The players complained that this is too little, and considering one of them died during the fight, I agree. However, going by the DMG they'd gain freaking 3200XP. That's like, ridiculous.

So... what now? Should I just give them like an extra 500-600xp for "finishing the quest", or something?
>>
>>46241928
Yes
>>
>>46241928
Oh god, that's really dumb. When are nerds going to realize that Walpole and Lovecraft don't mix?
>>
>>46241944
I take it you're not a fan of Bloodborne, then?
>>
File: dmg 82.png (404 KB, 496x443) Image search: [Google]
dmg 82.png
404 KB, 496x443
>>46241932
>modified EXP is at all relevant to the EXP reward
no, see the picture
You can probably give em more exp if you want - I have no idea how LMoP is setup. It likely won't break anything, and it'll make people less upset, so that's a benefit.

Also,
Kost / "evil mage" (presumably who you're talking about) = 200 exp
A zombie = 50 exp * 12 = 600
== 800exp * 3 for 11-14 enemies
Shouldn't it be adjusted 2400 and not 3200?
>>
>>46242070

Protip: Use kobold fight club. It automatically does all that pesky calculatin' for you.

http://kobold.club/fight/#/encounter-builder
>>
>DM makes encounters harder than in the campaign because we are 6
>Gives us the 4 man encounter xp
For what purpose
>>
>>46242070
There's only 3 of them, so the book recommends I step it up by one.
>>
>>46242144
He hates you.
>>
/5eg/, I've got something that you might be interested in. Most of you probably won't, but hopefully someone will fine it useful.

Trigger warning: colorful equines.
http://fav.me/d8493z3
>>
>>46242239
triggered
>>
File: haram.jpg (41 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
haram.jpg
41 KB, 480x360
>>46242239
>>
File: 67b.jpg (71 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
67b.jpg
71 KB, 600x450
>>46242239
>>
>>46242239
Some of those spells actually look cool--especially Rapid Teleport.
>>
>>46238737
lol nice $5/hr gig you got there, DMing for idiot aspie man children who don't use deodorant. Good for you.
>>
File: c05.gif (922 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
c05.gif
922 KB, 480x270
>>46242239
>>
How's this for a conversion of Invoke Magic ( http://alcyius.com/dndtools/spells/lords-of-madness--72/invoke-magic--1538/index.html )?

Invoke Magic
Evocation
Level: Sorcerer 9, Warlock 9, Wizard 9 (?)
Casting Time: 1 bonus action
Range: Self
Components: V, S, M (a diamond worth at least 1,000 gp, which the spell consumes)
Duration: 1 round

You cause a flicker of magic to momentarily exist in a place where magic cannot normally function, such as within the area of an antimagic field, a dead magic area, or a null-magic plane.
This allows you the ability to cast a single spell of 4th level or lower, which then ends the spell's effect.
Normally, you cast invoke magic and then immediately follow it by casting another spell as an action.
>>
>>46242558
>5$/hr
I won't defend the shithead, but is it really 6 hours? Our own sessions run closer to 3, and that'd be 10$/hr for a hobby, which isn't the worst thing in the world.
>>
File: ohgodno.gif (2 MB, 240x220) Image search: [Google]
ohgodno.gif
2 MB, 240x220
>>46242239
>>
>>46242819
what's wrong with picard
>>
>>46241425
Convert the actual Wild Mage spells, and the table (because the one in the PHB sucks)
>>
>>46241425
Purple dragons and Lords of Madness spells.
>>
>>46242827
he's mind melding with Spock's dad and experiencing repressed regret about not showing that he loved his son.
>>
>>46239639
Like a wizard making his apprentice/acolytes perform sexual rituals so that he can perform the lich ritual and make a newborn his phylactery?
>>
>>46242933
No because the newborn would have a soul at the very latest, upon delivery. And no lich worth his original spellbook wants a fetus for a phylactery.
>>
>>46243018
So you make sure the newborn doesn't get a soul on delivery.
Where's your ambition as a lich?!
>>
Ok anons, no spoilers, but how would a "roleplay" focused character do in CoS? I'm talking low wis and con, high int and cha cleric of trickery level underpowered.

Thx
>>
>>46243193

Anything CAN work, but you're weaknesses will be used against you.

That low Wis is going to hurt.
>>
>>46243193
Low Wis and Con are always points of concern if the DM pulls any sort of conflict against you. CoS can be done, but you'll need to get a little lucky, and it won't be easy.
>>
>>46243193
I dislike your implications here with this "roleplay focused" verbage.
You're aware a person that is actually competent at what he doesn't isn't mutually exclusive with RP, right?
>>
>>46243256
I was only refering to the game mechanics of combat, where my envisioned character will be low powered comparatively.
>>
>>46243193
If you're heavily roleplaying your low Wisdom, I assume you'll be making poor choices and your character and his friends will suffer for it.
>>
>>46241957
Bloodborne really only has the surface elements of both of those genres. It's ultimately more like other action video games than it is like either kind of fiction.
>>
>>46243193
>Ok anons, no spoilers, but how would a "roleplay" focused character do in CoS? I'm talking low wis and con, high int and cha cleric of trickery level underpowered.
They would die.
>>
File: espoortsdickbuk.png (652 KB, 852x794) Image search: [Google]
espoortsdickbuk.png
652 KB, 852x794
Is there a good reason why I shouldn't let players spend their movement budget anytime during the round, even when it's not their turn? I think it would give a feeling of more "real time" and make formations actually work without going full Sided Initiative.
>>
>>46243976
If that works as a houserule for you, I see no reason why not. Only if you limit it to allies turns and give enemies the same benefit.
>>
>>46243976
It would be very disruptive. A clusterfuck, if you will.
>>
>>46244052
That's kinda the point, it's suppose to make it feel like a chaotic melee rather than a ballroom dance.
>>
>>46243976
I'm assuming it will slow down combat, but I don't know for sure
>>
>>46243976
The main thing that seems annoying to me is people moving when things are charging them or whatever. I would expect ranged combat to quickly dominate your games, since kiting would get that much better.
>>
>>46244075
>chaotic melee
>But ranged will be better anyway because now it's even easier for them to not get locked down
>>
>>46243976
We do, but only on allied turns.

The Battle-Brothers (two weapon masters) work a lot on positioning in their combat tactics, so one moving forward without thw other would not work.

At first they just went with a lowest denominator initiative, where they only moved on the same initiative (so the one who rolled worst applied to both) which is standard hold action. When already in close combat, it rarely mattered though.
>>
>>46244094
>>46244138
You can also react whenever a ranged turn happens by stepping into cover or behind an enemy, you wouldn't be a sitting duck.

How exactly would kiting be better though? It doesn't even exist without magic really. Most pure melee characters have bonuses to CON saves and can chase for a lot longer.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 32

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.