[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Sup /tg/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1
File: test.jpg (191 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
test.jpg
191 KB, 1280x720
I've been planning on running a game of D&D for some mates and uploading to the videos to Youtube, and I'm trying to settle on a virtual tabletop due to the limitations of Google Hangouts.

I've had a look at Roll20, and was wondering what others experiences have been like, and how it compares to other similar virtual tabletops, as someone had mentioned something called Maptools & Tabletop Simulator, amongst others, in chat.

Cheers.
>>
>>46236438
People are willing to be weirder online.
>>
>>46236438
>Sargon
Motherfucker.
>>
>>46236438
I like the idea of a bunch of jim sterlings fighting off discount marios ontop of a hill
>>
I think out of all of them Mote is actually the best in terms of features. It's essentially Map tool but better.

However the devs have a terrible plan to make it a web based service that you have to pay for in the future, which is completely retarded because they'll be putting themselves in direct competition with roll20 which is already well established and free.

They've also done an absolutely pathetic job of establishing a community and don't even have a proper website or forum. Which is particularly stupid when they intend to monetize it.
>>
>>46236438
Tabletop Simulator is good for fun card games online but not a serious tool for tabletop RPGs.

Maptools is apparently very good but you need a decent amount of knowledge to get it working well.

Roll20 is pretty good for a lot of stuff. It's not particularly complex but it allows map, custom tokens, even character sheet integration with some systems and dice macros.

If you're new to them all then I guess stick with Roll20.
>>
>>46243997
Tabletop Simulator works for RPGs. It doesn't have the utilities that roll20 or fantasygrounds do, but if you've got time you can build miniature 3D dungeon without any of the cost associated with doing that IRL.
>>
>>46244377
Yeah, but what about things like character sheets? You would have to alt-tab or have a separate monitor to see that. Not to mention not being able to create custom tokens etc without finding them on the Steam Workshop.

I appreciate it's a possibility, but it seems too inefficient for a regular RPG tool.
>>
>>46244439
In a way, using Tabsim for RPGs at all is a lot like using elaborate 3D dungeon maps IRL. It's clunky, impractical, and time-consuming, but it's really rewarding. A certain twitch streamer I like streams 5e on Sundays with Tabletop Simulator. He's doing a Planescape campaign right now and it's awesome.

For character sheets, yeah, alt-tabbing to a Google doc is the most straigtforward way, but you can use index cards for more bite-sized bits of information, like spells or monster stats.
>>
>>46236438
Check out Spiffysquee's campaign Ardenfell, it's roll20 actual play done right

Regardless of it being dirt-bland fantasy and disregarding your attitude towards the players, it demonstrates how you're supposed to do it
Thread replies: 10
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.