[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Newfag from /mu/ here
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6
File: maxresdefault.jpg (97 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
97 KB, 1280x960
What does /tg/ think of MYFAROG, the tabletop rpg from infamous murderer and black metal musician, Varg Vikernes?

Is it any good?
>>
>>46235294
It's really not too good. Very heavily inserts political leanings of the author into the system, which a lot of /tg/ doesn't like, similar to Eclipse Phase.

Combat itself is very deadly, it's chock full of rules that bog the game down, takes ages to do things.

Overall not really a fantastic system.
>>
>>46235397
I guess I got my answer then. Was it really that bad? I honestly had no opinion on it, and had never given much thought to tabletops at all until I saw that one of /mu/'s favorite musicians had made one.

I couldn't tell you the difference between a dark elf and a slaneesh, I'm that new, so it was no deliberate trolling on my part.
>>
>>46235498
Assuming you're bing honest, the short version is that the system is pretty weak mechanically. The long version is that the system is weak mechanically AND it's basically a soapbox for the author's political views, some of which border on "WHITE MASTER RACE, KILL ALL THE MUD-PEOPLES!" at times.
>>
>>46235567

So /pol/, the RPG?
>>
>>46235642
Soapboxwise yes. However the game itself is tedious to play, and isn't really fun compared to most other popular systems.

At least it isn't as bad as FATAL.
>>
>>46235567
By the gods! That sounds most terrible, actually. Many thanks for saving me from a terrible misuse of coin!
>>
>>46235294
It's pretty terrible, a really amateur work, and there's a guy who made it his mission to spam this board with threads about the game. I hope you're not him.
>>
>>46235681

>However the game itself is tedious to play, and isn't really fun compared to most other popular systems.

So... /pol/, the RPG?
>>
>>46235642
There are worse Tabletop games for that, a few years back I saw a topic for a game that was literally a Nazi simulator... but yeah, MYFAROG is is pretty much a lesser version of that. It's a little "hidden" in the lore, but 10 seconds of actually thinking about it will make it obvious.
>>
>>46235567

So bizarro-world Pathfinder?
>>
>>46235710
Nope, this is literally my first day on /tg/. Been watching some D&D vids to see if it's anything I wanna get into, but since I liked Varg's music I had hoped his rpg was just as good.

Sorry for polluting /tg/ with a terrible game due to my low INT.
>>
>>46235716
At least it's not /b/, the RPG.
>>
Where the hell does one buy the hardcover to this game?
>>
>>46235749

Well, what kind of game would you be interested in? There are many different systems with different settings and things they specialize in.
>>
>>46235749
No worries. Just browse a bit and soak up some of the local colour.

If you're looking to play RPGS with friends, though, in general it's better to know what sort of stuff you like then offer you games that fit what you like, if you want recommendations, rather than you try finding systems on your own.

What sort of stuff DO you and your friends like? Fantasy? Sci fi? Cyberpunk?
>>
>>46235749
My therapist was involved in a plot to break Varg Virkernes out of jail. He ended up cooperating with the police and got shot by a fellow neo nazi.
>>
File: fresh-air.jpg (128 KB, 620x827) Image search: [Google]
fresh-air.jpg
128 KB, 620x827
In MYFAROG, the gods will abandon you if you voluntarily get circumcised.
>>
>>46235857

Huh, just like IRL.
>>
>>46235402
What politics are shoved into eclipse phase?
>>
>>46235749
hey /mu/friend while you're here do you know any other albums like Duster's Stratosphere and Contemporary Movement? In addition to being really nice they're the perfect non-intrusive atmosphere for noblebright settings
>>
>>46235806
Anything like Fallout 2 or Ultima or KotOR, probably. I think I like D&D so far, so that covers Ultima. I think.

Also, any rare or unheard of rpgs would be cool to learn about as well, as I always go for niche stuff.

I wouldn't know the first thing about tabletop systems beyond character sheets and rolling, but I really love KotOR's rpg mechanics, so if there was anything like that I'd be in heaven.
>>
>>46235887
>What politics are shoved into eclipse phase?
People will say identity politics, but I don't really see it compared to the bullshit modern WW pulls. No, Eclipse Phase's problem is that the authors are anarcho-communists and they love ancom politics and hate capitalists and conservatives and don't let up on it.
>>
>>46235887
Very leftist stuff. For example the Jupiter habs are all neo-luddites and fear tech, are strict on sexuality and behaviour, and makes heavy use of slave labour and capitalism in a post scarcity environmemt, and are seen as terribly bad places to be compared with scum barges which are anarchist communes and some are 24 hour fuckfests and everything is awesome there.
>>
>>46235888 (checked)
I'm afraid not, I've yet to hear that album. However, after looking them up, they seem to be in the space rock genre, and when it comes to space rock, can't recommend Porcupine Tree enough.
>>
>>46235921
KoToR was based off the star wars d20 system. If you liked that you'd love 3.5 D&D and pathfinder though I have no real love for the mechanics myself.

If you like star wars I would recommend some of the newer system like Fantasy Flight Games systems Edge of the Empire and Age of Rebellion which is a lot different mechanically but really works nicely for Star Wars games.
>>
>>46235965

I know at least some people on 4chan would like speculation about hyperborean aryan warrior culture and all that, Conan is universally popular on /tg/ for example. And then there's 40k of course hitting you over the head with ultranationalist themes IN SPACE.

Is Varg's RPG just particularly preachy or something?
>>
>>46236073
40K has fanatics in the playerbase, but the authors themselves never really push any agenda themselves; characters and factions themselves espouse certain views like "kill all dem fukken aliens", but they are not the views of the author.

Similar to that Conan was a hero but Robert Jordan was not espousing that everyone should start killing evil wizards and driving lamentations of women before slaughtered foes, unlike say, Terry Goodkind.
>>
>>46236073
40k started as a parody, but has been taking itself more and more seriously over the last decade or so and the general opinion of /tg/, even those who play it, has slowly been degrading.

Over all, there's a difference between writing something with an agenda and writing characters with agendas.
>>
>>46236166

Pretty sure Conan's way of life is portrayed as superior, but it isn't done in a preachy way but rather done through storytelling.
>>
>>46236073
>Is Varg's RPG just particularly preachy or something?
Also Varg himself is widely acknowledged to be kind of an asshole, even by people who agree with his views. Therefore, there's a lot less desire to cut him slack.
>>
>>46236210

One could argue that certain settings change in response to how the society it's framed in views certain things. Other times the creators lose focus on how to balance things out to keep that original feel (like the Simpsons).
>>
File: feel mc ride.png (194 KB, 640x400) Image search: [Google]
feel mc ride.png
194 KB, 640x400
>MC Ride will never write a tabletop
>>
>>46236598
No need to argue, those are all things that happen.
>>
>>46236672
Obviously a shitpost but I'd be actually really keen to see this. I'm imagining like a more modern and reserved/realistic Shadowrun with themes of the occult and dangers of mass technology.

I mean everyone laughs about le funny meme lyrics but they're actually pretty multi-levelled, I've Seen Footage is about how everyone is dulled to violence after watching liveleak etc all their lives par example.
>>
>>46236210
>40k started as a parody, but has been taking itself more and more seriously over the last decade or so

It's because the people who all initially authored 40k are no longer part of the story. The current authors of 40k are all morons who took the grimdark shit seriously and began to write it straight-laced, zero subtext. Coincidentally, that's when it began to hit it big (3rd edition and on) so who knows at this point.
>>
>>46235730
Bizarro Pathfinder would actually have good mechanics
>>
>>46235642
>>46235716
>/pol/, the RPG
That'd be Racial Holy War actually. Much like /pol/, at a certain point it becomes hard to tell if it's genuinely promoting white supremacy or parodying the ideology.
>>
>>46236073
Thing is that 40K takes place in an absurdly over-the-top setting where all the horrific ultranationalist themes are justified (and are properly horrific in execution, too). Nobody in 40K is a good person and it's not supposed to be a model for IRL society.
>>
>>46236918

This. The setting justifies itself with its own internal logic, and fiction is usually a terrible model for IRL anyway, since IRL rarely works narratively.
>>
It's awful. The same answer every time this thread shows up. Exactly the same thread every other month or so.
>>
File: fantano 0.gif (676 KB, 480x270) Image search: [Google]
fantano 0.gif
676 KB, 480x270
>>46235294
>What does /tg/ think of MYFAROG

Anthony Fantano. MYFAROG. Forever.
>>
>>46235749
I don't know anything about black metal, and not about music in general. But I think you'd be interested in Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, or Shadow of the Demon Lord. They're both kind of grimdark low fantasy games where everything sucks. Shadow being a little brighter where you can be more heroes than poor shit farmers being killed by the cultists of the rape goddess that is WH
>>
File: horizon.jpg (43 KB, 359x462) Image search: [Google]
horizon.jpg
43 KB, 359x462
I think this says it all.
>>
>>46235848

Tell us more.
>>
>>46237141
You.

Make love to me.
>>
>>46237428

Why was such a specific thing needed
>>
>>46238115
Autism

Myfarog is a really good example of autisticly unnecessary rules bloat.

It's not a horrific game, it just doesn't do anything another system couldn't do better.
>>
>>46235294
I was going to ask how this was at all nazi propaganda.
But then I read https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Myfarog
>>
>>46235857
>the entire thing is in Papyrus font
Fucking Christ
>>
>>46238210

Oh god, that's a restaurant font and not even a very good one.
>>
>>46238162

Hail and Kill suggested at the bottom, might want to check that out.
>>
>>46236035
dont forget the newest one of the fantasy flight game

force and destiny (to play force sensitive character as a focus)
Thread replies: 53
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.