[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Banner Saga and RPGs like it
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3
File: the_banner_saga.png (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
the_banner_saga.png
2 MB, 1920x1080
Hey /tg/

Since The Banner Saga 2 is on the horizon and I've got a massive boner for norse mythology and related setting, I figured I'd toss up this thread for a few reasons:

What did you guys think of The Banner Saga (especially its setting) and are there any other settings like it that are worth bothering with (PnP and/or video games)?

Also general norse-inspired RPG stuff, I guess.
>>
>>46231976
Banner Saga made the setting seem really interesting.

Then Banner Saga 2 kind of fucks it up, at least so far as I've seen of the trailers and pre-release announcements. Like, the horsepeople moving into the same region upwards from the south, and the lack of exploration and explanation of the actual Banner. Plus, while the idea of the Banner for each village is cool, they never came up with any visual representation of the Banner for your caravan despite making it seem like an important thing and the fact that it would've been a really good way to keep track of your achievements/decision points.
>>
File: World-Map.jpg (4 MB, 3485x3460) Image search: [Google]
World-Map.jpg
4 MB, 3485x3460
Here's the world map, by the way. In-game every location has its own little footnote that, whilst interesting, sadly substance. It's a well-crafted word nevertheless, but like Obsidian's Eore it desperately lacks context.
>>
File: eyvind.png (471 KB, 805x1217) Image search: [Google]
eyvind.png
471 KB, 805x1217
>>46232088
TBS 2 fucks it up? How so? As for the horse people; isn't the whole point that man- and varlkind are fleeing south, so wouldn't it be inevitable for them to run into the horseborn eventually?

I'm completely with you on the banner part though. It's a very cool game that really needs higher production values; I doubt the devs intentionally left things out because they're been very attentive to otherwise meaningless details (like the map) and seem to genuinely care about their setting.
>>
>>46232238
Just based on what's been shown in The Banner Saga 2 trailers so far, it seems like the horse people are just of a cultural offshoot of the Varl/Humans, not a different culture. Unless they're somehow more like Picts/Celts than the Norse-inspiration, they look like they're very similar with the body tattoos and weapons. It also seems like it isn't going to introduce more Dredge stuff.
>>
>>46231976
If anyone is a backer, remember that the Kickstarter is still sending out updates. You have a chance to sign an NDA and join the Closed Beta.

>>46232238
> doubt the devs intentionally left things out because they're been very attentive to otherwise meaningless details (like the map) and seem to genuinely care about their setting.
Tell that to we backers who backed it so we could have some city simulation/customization. Remember that? First it was going to be part of the Multiplayer. Then it was going to be patched into Factions. Now it's just nowhere.
>>
>>46232494
I'd argue it's difficult to glean what it'll really be like from the trailer, but fair enough.

>>46232524

I had no clue they promised any of that, the loss of the city thing sounds especially lame.
>>
>>46232632
I think the customizable city thing was in one of the early gameplay videos and in the stretch goals. They talked about it and it was part of why they offered custom banners.
>>
Isn't there a board game version of this?
Thread replies: 9
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.