[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What could cause a post-apocalyptic setting besides nuclear war,
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 16
What could cause a post-apocalyptic setting besides nuclear war, disease, famine, or aliens?
>>
>>46229015

Meteor impact.
>>
The earth stops rotating.
Everyone dies.
>>
File: Berlin postapoc 02.jpg (351 KB, 960x646) Image search: [Google]
Berlin postapoc 02.jpg
351 KB, 960x646
>>46229015
Psychovores!
>>
Bees
>>
Our actual real world history with its unexaggerated, current-day political structures.
>>
>>46229015
government testing facility.
>>
>>46229015
Natural disaster like meteors or super volcanos.
>>
File: Assbaby.jpg (22 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Assbaby.jpg
22 KB, 400x400
>>46229015

Anal Birth.
>>
>>46229015
Big space rock. It is the ultimate Rocks Fall Everyone Dies. It's what God does for TPKs.

Sun going through one of its fusion cycles at an inopportune time and triggering another Ice Age.

A nearby star goes nova and flashes everything down one side of the Earth.

Nemesis swings by the inner solar system and fucks everything up again.

Super volcano goes off.
>>
>>46229015
Robots.
>>
>>46229082
>The earth stops rotating suddenly.
>supersonic impact everywhere!
>>
>>46229015
>What could cause a post-apocalyptic setting besides nuclear war, disease, famine, or aliens?
>post-apocalyptic
>apocalyptic
You literally just listed all of the reasons.
>War
>Famine
>Plague
>Death
>>
>>46229015
The Rapture
>>
>>46229134
>Aliens = Death

Really?
>>
>>46229162
Nuclear war is death, dummy.
Aliens are war.
>>
>>46229129
I mean slowly stops rotating.
>>
Animals mutate and a dominate species that primarily hunts humans emerges due to the fact that we're so abundant and a source of lots of meat
>>
>>46229134
From left to right:
>Famine
>War
>Homosexuals
>Plague
>>
Killer plants. There's a rather silly manga called Green Worldz about it.

Day of the Triffids kind of counts, but that also had mass blindness...which now that I think about it might be a post-apoc setting all on its own.
>>
>>46229015
Scientists opening inter dimensional portal a-la the mist.
>>
>>46229015
The Zone

Although if you take the original novel that STALKER was based on as canon, it might count as aliens.
>>
>>46229134
>Besides
>>
File: THtu8u5.png (258 KB, 843x439) Image search: [Google]
THtu8u5.png
258 KB, 843x439
>>46229015
Niggers. Go on, cry "pol" all you want, but RSA is a prime example how a prosperous first world country became one of the worst shitholes on Earth.
>>
Time and entropy.
>>
>>46229106
I think something must be psychologically wrong with me, because the majority of babies' faces fill me with disgust and rage upon seeing them, so much so that, for a moment, I wish I could smash it to pieces with a hammer.
>>
>>46229217
M. Night Shamalamadingdong please go.
>>
>>46229275
or Half Life
>>
>>46229337
What movie?
>>
>>46229294
>post-apocalyptic
>Apocalypse
>literally defines the four knights
It wouldn't be called an Apocalypse then. A disaster, maybe, but not an Apocalypse.
>>
>>46229015

Mundane level
Regular war, but over a stupidly extended timescale (> 1 generation total war)
Successful revolution into colossal mismanagement and eventual collapse of the victim society. Probably causes a lot of famine, though.

Wrath of Gaia level
Ecosphere collapse. Causes famine, probably. Destroys infrastructure, maybe. Gives you an excuse why everything is hell desert
Volcanic upheaval. Ash is everywhere. Everything is dark. Similar effects to nuclear war without radiation mutants.

Supernatural Tier
Apocalypse-style events. Angels and/or demons overrun the world. Might overlap with 'aliens'.
Magic suddenly becomes a thing, shaking societal order to its core and possibly ruining infrastructure if your highway system is in the way of new leylines and shit. If magic and tech interfere as per Arcanum rules, could wipe out 'modern' society entirely.
>>
>>46229322
South Africa has always been a shithole. The only thing that's changed is that it's a shithole for whites too.
>>
Apathy.

Scientists declare that we are alone in the universe and that we are gonna die soon anyways in about two or three generations. Most people go into collective catatonic state and stop having sex, governments stop working because people are too apathetic and those who are not are more or less left alone and the world is now full of people just sitting around sighing and walking about being nuisances. Basically zombie apocalypse except the zombies are de-teethed and docile.
>>
>>46229015
Conventional war. Demons. God. No natural resources. Global warming/natural disasters. Ice age. EMP knocks out all electronics.
>>
>>46229350
After Earth
>>
File: gotou1.png (376 KB, 632x425) Image search: [Google]
gotou1.png
376 KB, 632x425
>>46229015
Demons
>>
A walking dead style apocalypse where everyone is infected and transforms upon death, turning into a zombie that is 95% resistant to rotting.
>>
File: Yokohama-Kaidashi-Kikou-scenery.jpg (218 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
Yokohama-Kaidashi-Kikou-scenery.jpg
218 KB, 1024x768
>>46229015
Not giving a shit
>>
>>46229331
Your not the only one anon
>>
>>46229380
dont feed the /pol/ack mate, they go away after no one give them any mind.
>>
>>46229331
It just mean you're not an adult yet.
progeny is programmed to feel disgust and aggressiveness for younger kids, that can potentially steal parents from them.
adults are programmed to find them attractive. success of anime worldwide is the confirmation of this. The reason is simply protecting the survival of the species
>>
Vital resources running out. We are dependent on constant intake of fuel, and without it will collapse. Though without some kind of fantastic element, it probably won't happen soon enough to be "present day" and it might involve wars.

Some kind of funamental alteration like "We wanted to invent improved power distribution and instead broke everything and our show is not very good"
>>
>>46229015
global warming. Im very suprised no one uses this. Europe freezes, 80% of africa is taken over by the sahara, most of asia is either paralyzed by droughts or flooded by rainstorms and such. The americas have similar things happening to them. It snow in australia more than two days per a year and everyone dies from the cold.
>>
Magic becomes real and everyone immediately tries to kill each other with it, being a bit TOO successful.
>>
>>46229564
>It snow in australia more than two days per a year and everyone dies from the cold.

Did 'straya lose the technology for coats or something?
>>
>>46229614
did 'straya ever have technology for coats?
>>
Why does the apocalypse have to be world-wide? Why not just set your campaign in what is currently the DPRK, after the Second Korean War?
>>
>>46229645
Because when it is not world wide the party can alaways bust out, no mater how hard the test is.
>>
>>46229564
I think Civilization: Beyond Earth had it in backstory, at least as possible option. "Polar caps melt and everyone drowned" seems implied in backstory of at least two factions.
>>
>>46229669
>polar caps melt and everyone drowned
It;s a neat concept but not one that would work unless the polar caps were much much larger, the problem with global warming and global change is that it fucks shit up everywhere. Someone living in moscow wont give a shit if all the ice caps melted, it just means the sea side is easier to get to that it was last year.
>>
File: 1456499725326.png (91 KB, 240x255) Image search: [Google]
1456499725326.png
91 KB, 240x255
>>46229134
>Pestilence and Famine being separate individuals
>forgetting Conquest.

Get your fucking Horsemen straight, Jesus Christ.
>>
File: worldwarN.jpg (118 KB, 640x346) Image search: [Google]
worldwarN.jpg
118 KB, 640x346
>>46229015
uncontrolled immigration
>>
>>46229689
It also means that the other 80% of people not living on the coast survive due to most farmland being in the middle of countries (or just America, I don't know much about eastern farming).
>>
>>46229703
But what if I like my Horsemen gay?
>>
>>46229667
Then why don't all the parties always in every RPG say "fuck it" to the dangerous quest and just go an find a nicer place?
>>
>>46229667
>the party can always bust out, no mater how hard the test is.

When your players don't want to play the game you set up, that's an OOC problem.
>>
>>46229735
That counts as aliens.
>>
>>46229015
Return of magic, robotic uprising, massive meteor shower, divine upheaval, all the rich people taking everything of worth then leaving the planet.
>>
>>46229015
Supervolcano could go off

Huge solar flare could destroy most technology
>>
>>46229015
>What could cause a post-apocalyptic setting besides nuclear war, disease, famine, or aliens?

We just stop.
We enter into the "Twilight" of our species and due to a unique combination of running out of space well before we run out of resources- we just fall apart.
The majority of people lose interest in social interaction -never mind reproduction or raising kids- and we go the way of the panda.

No wars, no disease, no famine, no big strife- it just fucking ends a little more each year and each generation has fewer and fewer people until a century passes and the world is occupied by a dozen or so million people living in a heavily automatized but empty globalized world.
>>
>>46229689
>>46229775
It's not like everyone in the sunk places just sit there and drown, everyone tries to escape somewhere else, leading to war and famine even without considering changes in climate leading to harder farming.
>>
File: KillZone1[1].jpg (118 KB, 614x422) Image search: [Google]
KillZone1[1].jpg
118 KB, 614x422
>>46229015
Massive volcanic eruption
>>
>>46229015
The Y chromosome becomes smaller and smaller every generation. Eventually, there are only females and clones. Reproduction is all synthetic and life extension becomes required to survive more than a few more generations.
>>
From most to least realistic*:
- climate change and death of bees causing a mass extinction of animals and plants. Everything goes to shit as even the most basic food chains break apart.
- major Earth quake sending several nuclear power plants to hell, possibly correlated to a super tsunami
- super volcano triggering an ice age
- solar flare
- Calhoun's rat experiment from the 60s

* "Most realistic" does not mean realistic. "Least realistic" does not mean unrealistic.
>>
>>46231422
That image is severely understating the problems associated with super volcanoes.
>>
>>46229473
I want to live there in real life.

I hope the comfy apocalypse comes to us.
>>
>>46231644
It is, but I just wanted to post a relevant image. If yellowstone really goes off, the entire world is FUCKED.
>>
File: 1285716099824.png (263 KB, 525x1053) Image search: [Google]
1285716099824.png
263 KB, 525x1053
>>
>>46229015

Diseases nuclear aliens from a famished planet?
>>
>>46231751
Viruses are not a realistic threat to a species numbering in the billions.
>>
>>46229093
Nah, a post-apocalyptic setting has survivors. The way we're going, the planet won't be able to sustain human life at all.
>>
>>46229015
Refugees.

Blite on crops

Civil War

Protests
>>
>>46231783
Op did not specify realistic. Besides zombies aren't realistic either and they always come up in apocalyptic settings.
>>
>>46229015
Well, quite many actually

>Atmostpheric rupture
>Global economic colapse
>Regular world war (see appleseed)
>Sudden worldwide storm
>This guy>>46229082
>second ice age
>uncontrolable mutant outbreak
>>
>>46231783
A global plague that has a high enough kill ratio and high enough transmission rate to threaten a species in the billions is very unlikely to spontaneously occur.

However, an engineered plague that is purposefully spread by a capable organization could go a lot further. Doubtful it could kill everyone but we're looking for post-apocalyptic anyway.

Hell, don't even target people. Make a wheat virus that doesn't kill the plant but causes it to grow mad cow prion.
>>
File: m night movie popularity.jpg (71 KB, 1200x900) Image search: [Google]
m night movie popularity.jpg
71 KB, 1200x900
>>46229337
Why do people keep giving that guy money?
>>
>>46229015
Rabbits and/or goats
>>
>>46229015

I guess you could go the global warming route. Go waterworld, or just raise the earth's temperature and apply whatever consequences you feel like.
>>
>>46232865
>Go waterworld
There's not enough water for that, sorry.

>just raise the earth's temperature
A rise of "just" 5K of average world temperature would have catastrophic consequences.
Raise the temperature by 10-15K and you can have the Earth based Dune adventure that you always wanted.
>>
>>46232346
Huh, he did unbreakable... Well, I guess I liked one movie of his.
>>
>>46232971
I thought Unbreakable was pretty decent, though not as good as all my friends was. I never saw Sixth Sense, though it has a good reputation, so I'll give him credit for that. Signs was fucking terrible and I'm not sure why it has a 74%. The only other one I saw was The Last Airbender, compared to which Signs was like a blowjob at a candy factor.
>>
>>46233284
Are you literally me?
>>
Ghosts. Too many people have died in history, and now angry caveman ghosts are fucking up everyone's electronics and throwing rocks at everything.
>>
>>46229348
>>46229275

combine are technically aliens
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 16

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.