[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Stop derailing things joking around guys >Real fantasy
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7
File: Rip9pins.jpg (473 KB, 527x600) Image search: [Google]
Rip9pins.jpg
473 KB, 527x600
>Stop derailing things joking around guys
>Real fantasy is supposed to be serious like LotR not jerking around with silly shit
>>
>>46224661
>But roleplaying games are meant for more than fucking around.
>They are a way to tell a shared story

No. The first job of a gm is to entertain his players, all else can go to hell if everyone walks out happy.
>>
>>46223350

>Real fantasy is supposed to be serious like LotR not jerking around with silly shit

I counter with Tom Bombadil
>>
>>46224714
Swap out "entertain" for "engage". Players can walk out fragile and shattered remains of who they once were in a horror game and the DM has done well.
Having fun is good, but it isn't the only way to play.
Horror and intruige games are engaging for other reasons than entertaining, if you see what I mean.
>>
>>46224661
>STOP HAVING FUN I'M GOING TO USE THIS CAMPAIGN AS THE BASIS FOR MY NOVEL. I'LL HAVE YOU BANNED FROM THE HOBBY FOR THIS!

Is there anything more pathetic?
>>
>>46224804

You are a pretentious moron and I doubt you even play.
>>
>>46224661
>>46224770
>>46224804
Jeez man, you're taking yourself entirely too seriously. Chill out, you're pretending to be an elf. The entire concept of roleplaying games is inherently silly anyway.
>>
>>46224714
"Everyone" included the GM too, though. His fun is as important as the fun of anyone else. No one is in any way obliged to run a game that just isn't fun for them, and for some people more or less serious gaming just so happens to be fun while fooling around isn't.
>>
>>46223350

The major issue is that people don't understand what a "joke" is.

A joke is funny. That's it. There are jokes in LotR, there are jokes in Dune, there are jokes in serious discussions about games, and no one has a problem with them. People love Pratchett because his Discworld series is one big lovable joke.

What people have a problem with is? Dumb shit.
>Stop derailing things with dumb shit guys
>Real fantasy is supposed to be not be retarded what is wrong with you

The worst is when people take dumb shit, and instead of using it for the only thing it might have a potential for being used for (as a dumb joke), they try to discuss the matter seriously and try to figure out how to force it into their imaginary campaigns that they don't actually have because no one wants to play with them.
>>
>>46224804
>The GM shouldn't be using a campaign as a basis for his novel
Would that be so wrong?
As long as he doesn't railroad the group in paths he already established this could provide interesting material.
I mean record of lodoss war is basically this.
>>
>>46224661
You sound like the /tg/ equivalent of this guy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z1Ch6N8QT00
>>
Sorry, but memes, Avengers references and "wouldn't it be epic if..." sidetracks aren't jokes.
>>
>>46225185
Every thing could work with a good delivery.
>>
File: 1336976698847.jpg (63 KB, 622x521) Image search: [Google]
1336976698847.jpg
63 KB, 622x521
>>46223350
>LotR
"Jerking around" doesn't get any more blatant than fucking Tom Bombadil. Nigger is shown to be powerful enough to put on the One Ring, resist it and not turn invisible as he wears it. Nigga could moonwalk to Mount Doom and drop the One Ring in it but he doesn't care. He'd rather stay in his woodland cabin and dick around all day.

Tom Bombadil is the DM saying "this campaign is too serious!" and later on regretting this decision.
>>
It's the brighter moments that make the dark ones much darker.
>>
File: crng[1].jpg (125 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
crng[1].jpg
125 KB, 1920x1080
>>46225120
This fucking shit. I blame identity politics.
>>
>>46225515
>Tom Bombadil is the DM saying "this campaign is too serious!" and later on regretting this decision.
I think everybody has had this moment
>>
>>46224886
>>46224932
No, he's right.
And can present an argument without just flinging shit and namecalling.

But whatever, I'm going to be called a samefag.
>>
File: 1449996581752.png (32 KB, 506x615) Image search: [Google]
1449996581752.png
32 KB, 506x615
>>46225567

This.

I can't nuance my agreement properly, but it is always the dark moments you don't expect in the lighter hearted stuff get me the most.

>>46225120

Cringed.
>>
>>46225649

Neither of them.

Not really.

The core of roleplay is entertainment, ergo fun.

You can have fun with roleplaying all sorts of different ways, each group is different .Just because it isn't serious doesn't mean you aren't roleplaying.

All I'm reading here is you saying that there's only a certain way of "fun".
>>
>>46224759
You pretty much nailed it here, anon. As long as everyone is invested and engaged in the game, then it's a successful one.
>>
>>46225789
I think the best way to settle this whole thing is just to agree that what you are doing certainly is roleplaying, it's just vastly inferior roleplaying and places you on the same level of kindergartners, for all the adults to laugh at.

That's really where you're pushing this whole debate with your attempt to use extreme subjectivity to excuse anything and everything.
>>
>>46225789
What I got from OP's post was that he was talking about a situation where one of the players, or maybe the GM, is complaining about people joking around. In a situation like that everyone obviously isn't having fun.
>>
You know, I think OP has a point. He's just one of the only personalities I just can't stand. "I Am Important And So Is My Opinion". Do you know what I mean? I'm sure you're met one of those guys at work or somewhere. Definitely a lack of perspective and a big ego. He doesn't care about your opinion. He wants to be right.
>>
>>46225856
It's funny that you're saying he's on the level of kindergartners while also your argument can be boiled down to "Stop liking what I don't like." or alternatively "I only play mature roleplaying games for mature roleplayers such as myself and anyone else that doesn't is wrong"

>for all the adults to laugh at.
Do you happen to own a fedora?
>>
File: 1458512905466.jpg (489 KB, 5000x5000) Image search: [Google]
1458512905466.jpg
489 KB, 5000x5000
>>46225856

That's a little unfair of you to call for everyone to agree-to-disagree, only to go on and lecture about how right you are, and then to insult me after complaining about "flinging shit and namecalling".

Very cheeky.

I think you just can't stand that other people have fun differently to you.

>>46225924
>Stop derailing things joking around guys

OP uses plural, not singular.
>>
>>46225986
>your argument can be boiled down to "Stop liking what I don't like."

You do realize that's an auto-lose in any argument? To try and say "Stop disliking what I like" and hoping to try and hypocritically project it as "Stop liking what I dislike" basically means I don't have to treat you as an adult anymore.

You don't want to be taken seriously, so I won't take you seriously. If you wanted to be taken seriously, you wouldn't be rushing to try and use extreme subjectivity to excuse yourself immediately after being called out on doing so.

Is this really your first time arguing here? I think you might want to try lurking more, so you avoid these beginner's mistakes.
>>
>>46225958
Pretty much. A pretentious snobby type person with one half correct idea and not enough social grace to word anything they say in a way that won't come off abrasive to everyone around them. With their head too far up their own ass to hear anyone else's comments. Those are the type of people that even if you agreed with their argument you'd be half tempted to argue against them just to spite them unless it was important to not do that at the time for other reasons.
>>
@46226058

Ah, I see.

This is some trollollolling going on here.
>>
>>46226075
Holy fuck, what website are you from.
>>
>>46226041
>OP uses plural, not singular.
Yes? What's your point? A player or GM complaining about other players making the game not fun for him would generally use plural if more than one guy's doing it.
>>
>>46226091

It's the latest meta thing.

You remove the satisfaction of getting a (You) that someone gets from horrible bait reply.
>>
>>46226134
It's sounds just like you need to lurk more.
>>
>>46225400
Except abortion jokes. They always ruin the delivery.
>>
>>46226130

If a player is complaining that either the GM or other players and GM, he's in the wrong game.

That simple really.

>>46226164

Go on other boards my friendo, you'll that this is a thing.
>>
>>46226181
Are you from Reddit? What are you doing here?
>>
>>46226181
*the GM or other players and GM are derailing and jerking off, he's in the wrong game.

*you'll see

Nice job brain.
>>
>>46226181
>If a player is complaining that either the GM or other players and GM
Either the GM or other players and GM what?

> you'll that this is a thing
Do you always omit words from your sentences?
>>
>>46226207
What about a scenario where the GM is complaining about how the players handle the game? Here's a bunch of shitters who obviously want to play a different game than the one he's running, why shouldn't he complain?
>>
>>46226220

I think you got the gist of what I was saying.
>>
>>46226256
Next time put every word in your sentence instead of having to waste time to add on additional posts to clarify what you were saying in the original post.
>>
>>46226253

Neither the GM or the group can be forced to play a game that they don't want to play.

GM doesn't have to run for a party that doesn't want to play his game.

The players don't have to play a game that the GM wants run.

Nobody is bound under obligation to each other.
>>
File: Stop Liking What I Don't Like.jpg (34 KB, 600x432) Image search: [Google]
Stop Liking What I Don't Like.jpg
34 KB, 600x432
>>46223350
ITT:
>>
>>46225856
>for all the adults to laugh at.
You've got this backwards anon. People who treat their roleplaying games like serious business are more likely to get laughed at than the group of friends having fun and cracking jokes around a table.
>>
>>46226555
>You didn't understand the fucking point of Tom Bombadil then.
I guess I don't. Care to explain? I'll admit it's been a while since I've read the Fellowship of the Ring.
>>
>real life doesn't have funny and lighthearted moments even in the darkest times

Get over yourselves
>>
>>46226625

That's different from what is being said, but sure.

And aren't you a little defensive of OP, for someone isn't OP?

>>46226690

I don't think anyone is defending being a derailing dick in a serious game.

What is being said is that you can have light hearted roleplay, and it still counts as roleplay.
>>
>>46226868
I get you

I thought you were one of those edgy "realistic" DMs who worships GRR Martin
>>
>>46226868

Like the other anon, I get what you are saying.

I too have had this.

You either ditch your plans and roll with the group or drop the group. It's pretty much that simple.

And I'm not defending derailment, but if all his players are derailing they clearly don't care about the campaign and so OP should stop wasting his effort and find a different group.
>>
>>46226539
Nice strawman. I have plenty of fond memories of fucking around with pals, ones that didn't involve a "primal medium of self-expression." Even Gygax knew it was just all just a game, and IIRC he hated modern grognards for taking everything so seriously.

So lighten up dude.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (173 KB, 1980x1114) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
173 KB, 1980x1114
>>46225515
Tom Bombadil just doesn't interact with the ring. He would still lose to sauron, just not before everyone else.
>>
>>46226800
>>46226572
>>46225515
He didn't go to Mordor because if he went to Mordor he wouldn't be Tom Bombadil anymore. Tom Bombadil stays to simple pleasures and chills. That's his essential nature.

It's a little bit of Tolkien's theodicy. Why doesn't God come down from heaven and solve everything? Because its not in his nature to. If he embodied himself in earthly matters like that he wouldn't be God anymore. He'd open himself up to temptation and fallibility. It's a very Neo Platonic conceit he probably got from St. Thomas Aquinas and Boethius.

Godhead in and of itself requires separation from mortal concerns. That's why God had to operate through the quasi-human proxy Jesus Christ.

Tom Bombadil is more than just power. He's an embodiment of a certain kind of mindset. He's a god, not a hero, and there are some things heroes can do that gods cannot.
Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.