[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dying world setting creation.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41
File: image.jpg (88 KB, 900x1200) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
88 KB, 900x1200
/tg/ creates a dying world setting, inspired by the themes of the dying earth and the night lands.
First replies seconded stands.
>>
>>46222834
>The big cities are few and far between, and consist of ramshackle wooden housing stacked up to 4, 5 floors hugging the inside of collosal stone walls left behind by nations no one remembers or cares about anymore.
>Without geological activity, most land is flat and composed of sediments. Trench foot and poor water filtration are primary killers.
>>
Everyone knows the planet is dying, but wars are ragging over what to do about it.
>One faction wants to save the world, even though it's very unlikely to happen.
>One faction wants to leave the world
>One faction wants to transform everyone into super beings that can survive the dead world
ect.
>>
>Food rots much faster than it naturally should, and food preserving techniques are much less effective now.
>As such, staying in one place to settle is increasingly difficult, and nomads traveling for food are the norm.
>>
The sun is dying, part of this is caused by mages who steal power from it to create magical machinery that power cities and other machines. Many major magical artifacts are powered by stolen pieces of the sun.
>>
Undead are consumed by rotting effects, zombies by magic, skeletons by mold etc. As a consequence Liches and similar undead are only possible if serious preservative efforts have been put to work. Even then preservative techniques are less effective than before and intelligent undead are becoming extinct and will do anything to stop it.
>>
>>46223027
*zombies by maggits
>>
>>46222976
>>46223027
So "something" is causing things to rot faster.
>>
>>46223050
so does the setting have gods that actively do stuff? I can see a god causing a rotting effect to hasten the end of all things.

A god with dementia perhaps, sitting on his ancient throne, his realm decayed around him drooling and mindless?
>>
>>46223075
I like that idea. Maybe the god has dementia because they're incredibly old even by god standards.
>>
>>46223075
>A god with dementia perhaps, sitting on his ancient throne, his realm decayed around him drooling and mindless?
fuck that's a good idea, and fantastic imagery.
divine being, extraordinarily powerful, can fix all this shit on a whim basically, but too broken to do anything at all. i would think a setting like this should center around that concept.
>>
>>46223178
fine by me, they're speeding up the death of the world and killing them could be one way to stop that maybe?
>>
When will this "build a setting one post at a time" meme fucking die?
>>
>>46223228
>>46223251
Maybe that's the big thing that everyone's trying to figure out; how to get to this god, and what to do if they actually get to them.
Some people want to kill him, others think they can fix him, ect?
>>
>>46223228
one Idea I wanted to toy with was having the trickster god outlive his pantheon and live long enough to see a world so rotten and horrid all his schemes and tricks amount to nothing so he'd try to save the world by killing the all father who is protected by his various children who refuse to confront the fact that their father and leader is braindead and causing the world to rot in sympathy with him
>>
>>46223281
when you do anon. You know how to fix this.
>>
>>46223304
gotta work on those run-on sentences, friend.

perhaps central to the setting is the head god. the zeus or odin of the setting, and he's got the braindeadness. then there are the lesser gods of the pantheon having to deal with the decay as much as the mortals are. each one deals with it in their own way. some go mad, some are apathetic, some are working desperately to fix things, but to no avail.

and i vote that whatever is causing this in the main god isn't understood by anyone, or on purpose. nobody is doing this to him, it simply happened. makes it seem more hopeless in that way.
>>
Post dying worlds are much more interesting.
>world shattered by some huge catastrophic event
>muh magic keeps the large chunks of the world somewhat together
>these shards continuously raid each other over little remaining resources etc
>viking armies meets grappling between floating islands of zendikar
>>
Loosely going off one idea someone suggested about the sun dying.
Maybe not what's actually happening, but what people think is happening.
>The goddess of the sun is one of the children of the rotting god.
>Up in their realm, she plays a harp that keeps the sun bright and life thriving, basically an explanation for daytime
>Now that her father has gone insane, she's become depressed, and finds it harder to play music
>This leads to longer nights and shorter days, which leads to things growing less, which leads to faster rotting, which makes the sun goddess more depressed, which leads to longer nights and shorter days, and so on and so on
>Her followers don't know how to cheer her up
>>
>>46223393
on a phone, makes me a bit less eloquent.

anyways my thought on the demented all father was that he's just old. he needs to die but hasn't or won't. maybe he fought too hard and stopped ragnarok, maybe he listened to cassandra's prophecy. Either way the cycle is broken and the realm eternal is learning what mortality feels like.
>>
>>46223421
sun dying was my idea.

i like this more.
>>
>>46223409
>>46223421
Each child suffering a different stage of grief. Earth God rages and shatters the world. SUn goddess depressed and can't continue. Trickster God bargaining with otherworldly and evil beings
>>
>>46223536
Mmmmm, this is good stuff.
>>
>The gods and goddesses have had relationships with mortals, and demigods are the result.
>They mostly come out as more powerful humans (like greek heroes) or monsters (if the gods are feeling particularly dickish)
>Now that many of the gods have gone silent, some people are looking towards the demigods for leadership
>The problem is that even though the demigods are more powerful than normal people, their minds are still human, and having all these people begging them for help when they don't know what's happening either is a pretty daunting thing
>Some demigods become greedy warlords, others become kind caregivers, some go into hiding
I don't know, something like that
>>
>>46222834
There's a mighty mountain, volcanic but dormant for now. Pilgrims travel from the cities to settle upon the volcanoes fertile soils that surround it and bandits prey upon them mercilessly. Every drop of blood shed upon the Volcano causes the earth to quake ever so slightly.
>>
File: 1456455980542.jpg (94 KB, 800x670) Image search: [Google]
1456455980542.jpg
94 KB, 800x670
>>46222931
>ragging
>ect.
>>
>>46223536
>otherworldly and evil beings
This could be worth expanding upon. What were the enemies of the gods? Are they happy with the dying world, or do they want the world to survive, but with themselves in charge?
>>
>>46223690
Will the volcano erupt once enough blood is spilt?
>>
>>46223798
i'd imagine some demons aren't interested in nonexistence while others want to end it all. Titans and enemy gods probably want to topple the current pantheon and restore the world.
>>
>>46223536
Nature and life goddess accepts the inevitable, and become a goddess of death and decay and disease

>>46223798
They help keep some things afloat, but in return for what they want, like souls or power. But it's temporary anyway, and since they aren't bound to this world they won't be bothered by its destruction. Different powers want different things out of the deals
>>
>>46223936
>Goddess of life is now goddess of death
>Her former followers either leave in search of a new life god to follow (as if they'll ever find one) or devout themselves to their goddess' new laws, actively trying to speed up the end of the world
>>
The God of Wealth is in denial that his father is insane, and refuses to accept that money is pointless now. He's more compelled to award those that please him, like the few traders and merchants that remain, but it's mostly by giving them coins that are mostly useless at this point.
>>
And God of the ocean is in denial, and has gone off the deep end in inanity.
The ocean is now dangerous and unpredictable
>>
>>46224167
Maybe most of the setting we explore takes place in one country, and most of the people don't know what's happening to the other countries since the waves are too dangerous to sail across?
>>
File: tumblr_nxdkbeYGzj1u8hz45o1_1280.png (142 KB, 573x914) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nxdkbeYGzj1u8hz45o1_1280.png
142 KB, 573x914
The God of Time sinks into chronic depression, and the flow of time slips in certain spots. Forests wither and die, tundras shrink, cities and their people go back in time to earlier periods. Clocks around the world spin at odd intervals, and soon enough even day and night become inconsistent.
>>
>>46224104
>>46224167
I prefer the God of Wealth representing denial, maybe the sea God could be anger, thus why the ocean is dangerous.
>>
>>46224297
>the time gods depression accidentally sends people forward or back in time
>people sent forward are horrified at the state of the world, people sent back in time are terrified of the time God realizing a mistake and send them back to the dying time.
>>
>>46224370
my only problem with that is that it doesn't contribute to the state of the world as much.

i like the idea of the 5 major children being in charge of big parts of the world, and their grief is fucking everything over. and then maybe there's lesser gods in the pantheon that have different issues. like the god of wealth. maybe the goddess of wine is just an alcoholic now
>>
>>46224505
Can someone list up the five potential big gods going through grief?
>>
>>46224581
denial-
anger- Earth God
bargaining- Trickster God
depression - Sun God
acceptance- Life/Nature (now death) God
>>
>>46224623
denial - the Forge God, forever rebuilding a godly palace which decays just as fast as he repairs
>>
>>46224682
I like this idea, but I feel like the God representing denial should be completely (willingly) oblivious to the rot, rather than trying to repair it
>>
>>46224732
Maybe the Forge God doesn't recognize the rot as an actual thing, he just shrugs and keeps building, maybe his blind determination actually keeps weapons free from the rot (or at least strong against it)
>>
What sort of monsters could live in this setting?
I'm thinking larger, monster versions of detritivores. Giant worms or maggots, demon vultures, and the like.
>>
>>46224826
again, whoever the denial one is, their denial should be actively putting the world in a worse state. i think that should be the case with all of the 5 major gods. that, and each major god ought to be in charge of a major force in the world. earth, nature, sun. i'd actually like to give the bargaining god an actual domain that fits with the problems he's creating, like magic, or knowledge or the stars. maybe even change it away from a trickster god and have the trickster instead be a minor deity.

as far as denial, what major domain would be detrimental to a decaying world if it stayed right on course?
>>
>>46225097
Storms/Natural Disasters?
>>
>>46225097
God of war, maybe?

>>46225222
Interesting...
>>
I'd like to imagine that crow demons have started to enter the dying world to pick at its remains.
>>
>>46225097
I could see a sort of guardian God that prevents access for mortals to the other gods as a bad thing in denial.

If this is an adventure, he'd prevent the PC's from getting to the other gods and solve things
>>
>>46225397
I could see this working. Maybe a God of the in-between, who's supposed to take mortals to the afterlife or the god realm, and since they won't accept any problem is happening, they refuse to let the mortals go to the god realm to find the god father. Then again, maybe that's a duty that's a little too small for a god. Maybe an angel?
>>
War is chained to a big rock for attempted deicide. He is full of sorrow but still loves his father.

He believes, or at least hopes, that when dad dies one of their number becomes top god.

He doesn't want the job but someone, anyone, has to do it.

Maybe if dad dies the world dies and they die. Still preferable to the slow death.

Maybe once the world dies it will one day live again. A new spring to the winter that this long autumn will inevitably lying become.
>>
>>46225516
Maybe the gods don't know for sure what happens if their father dies, and that's why they're arguing over if they should kill him or not. Some think that if they kill him, they can become top god and fix everything, while others think their father's death results in the end of all things or the rebirth of everything.
>>
>>46225647
Exactly.

Nobody knows what will happen.

It will happen eventually but it could be centuries or longer.

War wants to force the issue and that didn't sit well with anybody for reasons.
>>
>>46225777
Freeing War from the rock he's bound to so he can bash through the guardian and get the PCs to the god realm could be one of the quests.
>>
>>46225397
>>46225510
i think these are on the right track. eldest son tasked with safeguarding the heavens, rather than any duty in the land of the living. a god of order and law. he is his father's caretaker. because of his stubbornness, other gods have difficulty in their attempts to awaken or kill the oldfather. and mortals have basically no chance to get into the plane above as long as he's in power.

what do you guys think?
>>
>>46225957
sounds like a good line of thought
>>
>>46225516
You know what a chained war feels like, if you think about it?

A cold war.

After War got imprisoned, all nations no longer waged war on each other, but wage cold war, stockpiling the dwindling resources
>>
>>46226072
pretty clever actually, PCs and such would probably have spy games experience.
>>
>>46225957
I like this idea. Do you think he beat and imprisoned War in the first place, after he tried to force his way in?
>>
>>46225957
>>46226072
Two neat ideas right ehre.
>>
>>46226095
I can imagine that War was one of the first gods to openly try killing the Oldfather, so the Guardian and the other gods worked together to push him back and chain him to the rock. Now that the other gods are split on what to do with their dad, War has a greater chance of making it past the Guardian with less resistance, but he needs someone to free him from the rock.
>>
>>46226274
>>46226095
I'd imagine the trickster has tried to free war but got bound to the mortal realm so he wanders it looking for heroes who can help war and company kill the Oldfather and save the world

I'd imagine PCs would be the last gasp of power of the world. Demigods, Dragons, wizatds and so on.
>>
so here's what the pantheon looks like now i guess:

father god - catatonic
children:
Denial - Guardian of Heavens
Anger - God of Earth and Sea (they can go together pretty well i think)
Bargaining - God of Knowledge
Depression - Goddess of the Sun
Acceptance - Goddess of Life (now death)

minor gods:
trickster
god of war (chained)
god of wealth
god of wine (drunk)

sound about right?
>>
Is there a Mother Goddess alongside the Father God? Maybe she acts as the last line of defense for protecting the Father, by staying by his side all the time.

Potential dumb idea, but hear me out.
What if the Mother Goddess slept with the Father God during his crazy half-dead state and ended up giving birth to some horrible eldritch monster hidden away from the world?
>>
>>46226437
spoiler: kinda goes against the horror of 'everything is dying and we might not be able to stop it' if you throw cthulu into mix dontcha think?

mother goddess is fine tho
>>
>>46226401
Sounds good so far. I like it.
>>
>>46226437
already god the guardian god protecting him, but i could see a wife taking care of him, wiping up his drool, keeping him looking fancy.

and holy shit that sounds radical.
>>
>>46226274
The Storm God, actually a demi-god and only son of War, is in denial and drinking to forget the whole sorry affair.

If anything could break the chains of war it would be his hammer.

Probably the only other hammer that could break those chains is the hammer of the Forge God.

You might be able to get the hammer off of Storm by challenging him to a drinking contest and taking it when he passes out provided you have FOOKEN EPIC constitution. Or you can beat him up when he gets drunk and try to out run him when he sobers up. Highly unlikely to succumb to persuasion as he lacks all subtlety.

Forge is more sentimental and might be willing to lend you his hammer. Don't try and tackle him directly. He is teetotal and will kick your ass because Storm might be part mortal but this thing is not.
>>
>>46226506
You could go directly to the god/goddess of wine for help, but they're equally drunk off their ass.
>>
>>46226506
possible third option: enlist the trickster god's aid in drinking the storm god under the table. but they're brothers so the trickster won't help you actively harm him or permanently steal the hammer

alternatively he knows how the forge god's and storm gods hammers were made and can make a similar one but a weapon of it's like would be a potent tool of decay and entropy due to the oldfatjer's all encompassing corruption
>>
Potential quest line
>The first ship in a long time is seen sailing to the coast.
>It crashes on the shore, killing most of the crew
>The PCs find the captain of the ship still alive, but almost dead. They look and dress much differently than others, suggesting they're from another country
>The dying captain hands the PCs a handful of seeds, and coughs up in a broken version of the common language "can't rot" before dying.
>Now they need to deliver these mystery seeds someplace safe
>>
There is a demigoddess forging a small but loyal following by claiming that she is the goddess of the moon, and that the reason the nights last so long isn't because Sun is depressed, but because she is more powerful than Sun. In reality she's an estranged daughter of the Trickster.
>>
>>46226580
I like that.

I like that a lot.

But for one thing. War only had one son, daughters yes, but only one son.

Trickster is a child of the Oldfather and the Mother.

He isn't countered among the top tier of the pantheon for two main reasons.

Firstly he's kind of a dick.

Secondly he is weedy, a bit ugly and always seems slightly ill. Even before everything went to shit he was always a bit ill.

The unspoken third reason is that half the pantheon and quite a lot of the mortal population are pretty sure Mother was unfaithful and had a half demon child. Which would explain why the tongue of Hell and Other Places came so naturally to him and the weird and damned things of those awful places treat him almost as one of their own.

Whilst he helps the Heroes about their tasks of healing/mercy killing and hoping for the best/replacing the Oldfather he is perusing his own plans to either take over or install a puppet on the throne.

Everyone assumes, when they find this out, that he is doing it out of mischief or self preservation. Truth is he loves people. He is a people person. He loves everything about people from their virtues to their vices, their qualities and their flaws, their great triumphs and hilarious and many fuck ups.

If humanity dies the gods could hold out for a long time before they too fall into the dust of the dead world.

He can't think of a worse way of living and dying.

A world without mortals is worse than death and any Hell he has ever visited.
>>
>>46226780
Top tier character analysis. Trickster is bae now.
>>
So what kind of races do we want for this? Just humans? Typical stock fantasy races? Something more exotic?
>>
>>46226780
sounds good to me. I was thinking of associating the Trickster with cats but different imagery could work.

Storm God would have a thing for winged creatures, a horse with batwings and so on. He's a boastful jackass, first to the fight and last to leave.

but loyal, utterly loyal, otherwise he probably would've smashed the War god's chains himself. but he's caught between vows to the Oldfather, to mortals and others. He can't act in earnest without breaking a vow.

so he drinks to forget, rages and ravages, fights with other demigods and rampages through the wastes. he wants to help he really does but he can't bring himself to harm his lord indirectly and he can't bear to watch his charges die a withering death.
>>
>Suffering is one of the Greater Demons of Hell
>He was one of the early demigods, and was raised in the Heavens with the other gods, but his cruelty to early man was seen as sickening to gods and he was sent down to Hell with all the other demons
>Basically the kid who burned ants with a magnifying glass for shits and giggles
>With the world now dying, Suffering has been acting more than ever, trying to whisper into people's ears, trying to push them over the edge into crazed bandits and murderers
>In truth though, Suffering is terrified.
>He's certain that Oldfather is going to die and everything will stop existing, and being helpless is horrifying to him.
>The only way he knows how to cope is to make others hurt, which is only speeding up the end times
>>
>>46227019
PCs would probably be demigod level powers to start with so I'd focus on what constitues 'greater than mortal' and work backward I'd think.
>>
>>46227019
So far I've been imagining only humans, but I would be up for interesting races being mixed in.

>>46227106
I think this is a good way to start though, since most of this setting is connected to the gods.
>>
>>46223409
In such a case, I recommend reading "Out of the mouth of the dragon" by Mark S. Geston
>>
>>46227124
Titans: the first races, originally as powerful as gods but have since degraded. Mishapen monsters by and large but not always evil.

Dragons: another ancient race, few dragons are lure blooded enough to wield their early age powers but still potent.

Fae: ephemeral and wild, spirits of nature. they more than anyone else suffer from the world's degredation. many have been corrupted or simply ceased to exist.

Elementals: raw power representing a primal natural force, as time passes they succumb to the rot or go mad.

Constructs: golems, intelligent undead, lab experiments. they tend not to have much in common but the world is ending and they live here too.
>>
>>46227240
I've been thinking about what the dragons might be like
>Dragons were created before the concept of natural death was formed, so as long as no one killed a dragon, that dragon would just continue to get older and larger. They take much longer to age than humans, but given enough centuries and they could wind up towering over cities
>The problem is that now that the rot is happening, the dragons are rotting alongside everything else.
>While a human doesn't start rapidly rotting until they're actually dead, dragons rot more with each passing year
>Ancient dragons will eventually be so rotted that they can no longer move
>>
File: KamandiMap1-1024x777.jpg (527 KB, 1024x777) Image search: [Google]
KamandiMap1-1024x777.jpg
527 KB, 1024x777
>>46227019
Why not go full Kamandi.

The apolypse has raised countess races of animals and machines to awareness from the old world that was they now fight for the scraps of the world that was
>>
File: 1452108745928.jpg (621 KB, 2574x3297) Image search: [Google]
1452108745928.jpg
621 KB, 2574x3297
>>46227019
Humanity are the last ones still standing.

The Orcs turned on themselves in great numbers in madness.

They were always very close to War. His chosen people more or less. When War tried to take on most of the pantheon by himself it sort of bled back along that link that had once been a source of strength. Their kingdoms had generally been at war with all of their neighbors and usually had great and often very badly treated slave populations. They were quite close to Suffering though they would never admit it.

Few of them survived the slave revolts and retaliation wars. The ones that did never managed to rebuild and made their way to human lands looking for work where they faded away.

The elves were afflicted with sterility. In her sorrow the Mothers blessing no longer came to them, only tears. Some managed to father children with human women but Their day was done and their time was limited. Through time and attrition the pure elves faded away and the elder blood faded into humanity.

The dwarves held on for some time in their strictly ordered protectorates. Nobody knows what happened to them. They just vanished one night. Some said they made bargains with unholy beings and it was time to pay up, some said that they found a way out of the dying world. Nobody knows for sure.

Humans are all that are left. Most humans have a bit of non-human blood in them but what of it? People barely remember anything of those old names now. Humanity is the last of the dregs at the bottom of the last barrel.
>>
>>46227337
Could work, might have some dragons side step it by finding a willing human and commiting ritual suicide to creat a sort of nested soul, human on the outside to get access to the cycle of death and rebirth but dragon on the inside for the magical power that is their very being.

>>46227364
I'm always down for Kamandi homages
>>
>>46227405
well god of earth shattered the world. probably earthquakes and cave-ins squished all the dwarves underground. i would bet they're at least an endangered species now. and i like the stuff about elves
>>
>>46227405
I like the concept of orcs, dwarves, and elves being gone or nearly gone, while stranger races are coming in to take their place alongside the humans (either super ancient races like the titans and dragons, or new races we come up with along the way)

>>46227463
So Otherkin are real in this world.
Just kidding, I think the idea is neat.
>>
>>46227081
>>46227405
Are there any other demons of note alongside Suffering?
>>
>>46227463
You know, since the world is all fucked, we can drift away from the more tolkeineswue stuff and takr cues from cultures with a more gothic and macabe feel. Norse and Slavic myth, Kemetian death cults, Voodoun style spirits, Sumerian Underworlds leaking to the top,Gallu,Lilitu,Lamashtu,Sekhmet.Strix,Strigoi, vetalas and so on
>>
I like the whole Free War -> Defeat Guardian -> Kill Mother? -> Kill Oldfather progression, but I'd like to see their her major gods too.

Maybe after defeating the Guardian, the Trickster informs you Earth is gathering power for his biggest destruction yet, so the PCs have to deal with that first or there won't be a world to save.
>>
>>46227594
CHEEKI BREEKI?
>>
>>46227540
my preffered pronouns are zhir zjer and graj.

but yeah the idea is that they aren't designed to cope with mortality and mortality was forced on them so they're emulating it.

>>46227594
hey dig up some weird ideas, lets get to stealing cool myths
>>
>>46227639
I agree. I think that something has to be done about at least the Grief Gods, or else even if the PCs find a way to kill/heal the Oldfather, there won't be a world to return to

>Get War to defeat Guardian
>Find a way to bound Earth so he can't keep causing earthquakes
>Stop the God of Knowledge from creating some sort of experiment that will go horribly wrong(?)
>Find a way to cheer up the Sun Goddess or steal her harp so someone else can keep the sun alive
>Get the Life goddess to give up her new Death persona or find a way to kill her yourself (note, killing the embodiment of Death could backfire, so it's best to save the world quickly once this is done)
>>
>>46227784
alternatively get the new death goddess to give up her old life goddess portfolio and uplift a likely demigod.
>>
File: morrighan.jpg (28 KB, 236x340) Image search: [Google]
morrighan.jpg
28 KB, 236x340
>>46227869
One of War's daughters taking up the role of Life.

This could go either very wrong or very right.
>>
>>46227869
I like that idea. There could be potential demigod's to choose from that have different views on what Life should be like (evolutionary, only the strong survive mentality vs motherly all life in harmony mentality, maybe)

>>46227949
She's just ensuring that the next generation is stronger than the last, c'mon, don't get mad when she kills your weak babies.
>>
>>46227671
Well we could use the Egyptian themed soul system we developed for the Africa tg setting
>>
>>46227949
>>46227980
Trickster is playing the long game, either building an ark to flee the death of this world and start a new one or shaping a viable new Kalpa.

so he won't CARE who the next Life Mother is as long as she does her job and helps reverse the rot and fix the world. A cruel mother is just as servicable as a nurturing one to him.

his evil is necessary.
>>
>>46228074
not familiar with that, please expand on your proposal mon ami
>>
>>46228074
Do tell.
>>
>>46227784
Get the god/dess (hermaphrodite?) of wine to get sun drunk and have some steal her harp.

from there either work on cheering up Sun or just put a demigod to work on night/day duties indefinetly.
>>
File: king of clowns.jpg (88 KB, 600x829) Image search: [Google]
king of clowns.jpg
88 KB, 600x829
>>46228098
Or he's doing both.

Whilst also trying to restore the Oldfather.

And he's also trying to take his dad's throne and hope that it fixes shit or gives him the ability to fix shit. Or at least stop shit getting worse.

He is pushing all of these plans because he isn't an idiot. War put all his eggs in one basket and look what happened to him. He knows that none of his plans have good odds so hes going to do everything and hope one of them lucks through.

Trying to prepare for the new Kalpa is probably the least likely to fail but none of the current crop of mortals will survive the years and years and FUCKING OH SHIT SO MANY YEARS of fimbulvinter. And that makes him fucking sad as fuck because he does have friends, hard as it is for the other gods to believe.

They will have to start from day 1 with the mortals again.
>>
>Some humans believe that the reason why the gods aren't succumbing to the rot is because they bleed ichor instead of blood.
>They think that demigods have equal parts blood and ichor in their veins
>If they can kill demigods and drink enough of their blood, they can ascend to god status and escape the world before it completely dies
>Basically become the vampires of this setting
>>
Here's an idea: what if the Mother is also the Goddess of Fertility? It would explain how she popped out so many baby gods.

And because she's so focused on taking care of her husband, pregnancy and child birth are becoming a rarity for mortals.
>>
>>46228291
well yes he's TRICKSTER doing 30 things at once is his shtick. He's the definition of overthinkers. He's prepping a new crop of gods from the thousands of demigods, demons, and freaks he's got on hand. (except suffering, that fucker gets to die this kalpa) He's also creating a celestial court and planning breaking up world responsibilities. All this shit happened because Oldfather fucked up and invested too much power in himself why not create a bureucracy and distribute it with a system of checks and balances.

failing that get the time and space demigods and a slew of elementals and his favorite mortals and leave. Make a new world.
>>
>>46228301
Sadly it doesn't work. You just get a lot of dead demi-gods and their parents stamping your head completely flat. They have the blood and the potential but not the crown of a godding job.

The last surviving family of vampires have a similar idea. They want to get to the Oldfather and drink him dry and take his place.

This might actually work if they can take his job and get unanimous votes from the other gods. Or get enough support to have the other gods beaten up if they disagree too loudly.

So one way the PCs could get the top job is getting turned into a vampire and doing just that.

but there is only one Oldfather. Only one of the party can take his place. How will they decide?
>>
>>46228358
soumds good, she could be notoriously unfaithful despite lovong Oldfather so seducing her away from him could theoretically be one solution.
>>
days and nights mostly follow the
summer: long days
winter: long nights
that we do, except that over time along with everything else thats shitty is that days aren't staying longer for as long as they should. The Long Night will eventually be a huge problem
>>
>>46228409
I'd love to imagine PCs actually choosing the vampire path to victory.

>Finally, mortals have come to save the Oldfather
>Yeah...save...hey, how much ichor do you think is in your body?

>>46228414
>Cucking the Oldfather
Why do you want to see him cry?

>>46228415
They gotta find a way to deal with the Sun Goddess' depression before the Long Night comes.
>>
>>46228487
He has to be alive to be cucked. I'd imagine his dementia is a product of him being so fucking old. Might as well put a good breeding goddess to use after you mercy kill the Oldfather.
>>
>>46227562
>Greed is a Greater Demon, son of the god Wealth, and brother of the demigoddess Charity
>Wealth was one of the younger gods in the pantheon, and his children wanted him to be respected and loved by the mortals.
>Charity did this by spreading fortune to needy.
>Greed did this by stealing from the mortals and building up his father's gold hoard, which upset his fair businessman father and his bleeding heart sister.
>Greed was banished, like Suffering, to Hell, and became a Greater Demon.
>Greed now spends the rest of his days supporting those willing to steal and loot for power in the end times.
>>
>>46228487
>Cucking the Oldfather
>Why do you want to see him cry?

He's dead. They fact that he hasn't had the mercy of stopping breathing yet is just a postmortem cruelty to everyone else.

Also Fertility/Mother goddess was never faithful.

And neither was Oldfather.

It was an odd relationship.
>>
>god + god = god
>god + human = demigod
>god + demon = trickster
>demigod + human = stronger than average humans
>god + demigod = ???
>>
>>46228704
Godling
>>
>>46228704
god + demigod = demigod
human + demigod = sterile demigod

imagine being a cleric in this setting. pretty much anyone worth devoting yourself too has gone off the deep end. would be very interesting to roleplay i think
>>
File: 1385835740081.jpg (294 KB, 1024x887) Image search: [Google]
1385835740081.jpg
294 KB, 1024x887
>>46228704
>god + demigod = ???

Abomination.

Because uncle fucking incest.
>>
>>46228743
>Be a Paladin of life
>Everything is rotting away, it's my duty to save lives and try to figure out what's doing this
>No one can get a clear answer, but people are whispering that it's because Oldfather is dying
>I pray to Life to ensure that Oldfather heals and the rot will stop
>It's not working
>I watch as people abandon the worshipping grounds
>The other paladins of Life tell me that Life has visited them in their dreams
>They say that Life has accepted the fate of this world, and that she has become the Goddess of Death
>I can't believe it, and I refuse to
>I know Life is still with us
>She has to be
>>
File: tuatha-morrigan.jpg (17 KB, 480x360) Image search: [Google]
tuatha-morrigan.jpg
17 KB, 480x360
>>46228851

Which is all right and well until the new Life turns up

>>46227949

A fiery shirtless redhead with a thing for crows, a strong belief in survival of the least useless, and is less the Life you knew and instead is more about Sex and Violence often at the same time.
>>
>Music is the daughter of Sun, and grew a fascination with humans immediately
>The music she could make about the gods was joyful and merry, and the songs she could make about demons were chilling, but mortals had the most complex music in her eyes
>She spent most of her time before the rot providing inspiration for musicians, alongside artists, writers, and other creative types
>With oldfather dying though, time for music is few and far between
>She's dwindling in power and can't help people like she used to do before.
>Now, when people are on the verge of death, she will come to them, and play them their own personal song to lull them in their passing.
>Strumming their pain with her fingers,
>Singing their lives with her words,
>Killing them softly with her song,
>Killing them softly with her song,
>Telling their whole lives with her words,
Killing them softly with her song.
>>
>>46228983
>New Life takes charge
>She's scolding the paladin in his dreams for helping the weak when he should be breeding and letting the meek fend for themselves
>Technically becomes a fallen paladin for refusing to follow these new rules
>>
Do ghosts exist in this setting?
>>
>>46229474
I don't see why they wouldn't but The Rot would probably render them mindless and predatory.
>>
>>46228074
>>46228125
>>46228252
http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/42865379/#42911895

http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/42865379/#42913452

http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/42865379/#42915351

http://archive.4plebs.org/tg/thread/42865379/#42915367
>>
File: vally of death.jpg (813 KB, 720x871) Image search: [Google]
vally of death.jpg
813 KB, 720x871
>>46229474
Yes.

Death has the depression. She really can't be bothered anymore.

You want to get across the river to Judgement? Why rush.

Her job is to get people across the river efficiently and with a bit oh haste so as not to cause a backlog that could cause the fall of all civilization and fuck up the careful running of the world.

Why does that matter now? The world is ending. Soon everything will be dead and she can take shit across the river at her own pace safe in the knowledge that the dead will not be fucking things up for the living. If only because no living left.

So some people temporarily fall through the cracks and hang around for a while.
>>
>>46229648
>>46229545
you know there's potential for revenants who could keep their sanity through sheer force of will here. Bind the ghosts who manage to stay sane to bodies and you could have a good workforce. I imagine bronze and other corrosion resistance materials are popular for this sort of thing.
>>
Because the seas are so hard to travel on now, if anyone wants to get out of the country, they either need to know enough magic to teleport, make a shady deal with a crow demon, or be friends with a dragon who hasn't rotted to the point of not being able to move anymore.

Thoughts?
>>
>>46229900
how about flying animals and airships? Stuff like pegasi, Rocs, giant beetles etc. Maybe Agarthan travel networks.
>>
>>46229900
Or walk.

We might not be on an island.
>>
>>46229963
Pegasi might be a fun animal to have around. Having underground networks could be a dangerous choice, since the Earth god is causing quakes, but for those who need to do it, that's the option.

>>46229987
Yes, walking works too. There could be places that are too far to walk to though, and are across the sea.

Making a map might be a cool idea.
>>
>>46230053
and other winged animals, earth god's rage could be countered with elementals and magic and demon pacts.
>>
File: Ember the clockwork.jpg (365 KB, 870x1200) Image search: [Google]
Ember the clockwork.jpg
365 KB, 870x1200
>I am Mettle
>I was forged to guard the Emperor's palace in the eternal city.
>I am as tall as two men, my heart is a ticking clockwork masterpiece that holds the soul of one of the Emperor's favored bastards.
>I am filled with Sunfire and made from iron, bronze, brass, and copper.
>When the Thanri Hoard fell upon the walls I endured.
>When the War for Ascendance came I endured.
>When the Mad Lich Belepheronus invaded seeking knowledge to save his rotting cadaver I endured.
>When the god or war was bound to stone I endured.
>But I cannot Endure this.
>The Oldfather is dead, his body still seated on the Astral Throne in a dark mockery of life.
>His Children guard him as our world dies.
>The gods have forsaken their duties to creation.
>I am Mettle.
>I cannot Endure this, I will not Endure this.
>I will see the Oldfather laid to rest or I will cease to be.
>>
>>46230334
I'd be in a party with him.
>>
Do we have a world creation myth yet?
Are we going to have titans who started the world, and the gods took over, or did Oldfather create the world himself?

Do the gods besides Oldfather and Mother know how the world was made? We know whatever the case is, the world's life is tied to the Oldfather's.
>>
>>46230633
we haven't got much really, we do know it's possible to escape from the world but we don't have a name for it. We do know the Oldfather is empowered somehow and that this power is destroying the world in sympathy with his own rotting and has likely lead to the extinction of many mortal races and a descent into barbarism on the world.

We have Titans who are among the races PCs can choose from Dragons, Fae, Elementals, and Constructs.

I was thinking the world always was, no one created it but the Titans, gods, and other races and beings came to be and the gods and titans were possessed of magic that gave them power over the world and they could vie for that power in games of chance, contests of skill, or just murder each other for it.

Titans have a set power level, they cannot become gods. But gods, though they started weaker than titans, can seize power from one another, and the Oldfather seized the most power of all the gods and ruled over all creation.

or something like that.
>>
>>46230715
Having a world that always existed could be neat. It could even lend to the theory that if the world does come to an end, and Oldfather and everyone else dies, their power will just return to the earth and start a new world.
>>
>>46230853
I kinda like the approach that the gods are just a part of the world. They didn't create it, they can effect it more than anyone else but they aren't the be all end all. They're just serious movers and shakers.
>>
>>46230633
Oldfather knew how the world was made. Mother also

Trickster has ideas on how but nothing he would like to test because its the sort of shit you get right or die.

Trickster got the knowledge, theoretical and incomplete as it is, from the demons and other things Beyond the Fields we Know who watched it happen.

Or they could be bullshitting and they all inherited it from a previous kalpa.
>>
File: smug.png (195 KB, 406x422) Image search: [Google]
smug.png
195 KB, 406x422
How about this? A once great empire is in decline, a malevolent entropic force is consuming all the gods and corrupting the land, humans can stave off the entropic encroachment by blood sacrifice but besides inevitable entropy lesser races are invading their lands and their whole political structure is corrupt and stagnant. The only hope is to leave for the stars
>>
>>46230908
You feel good?
You feel good posting that frog?
>>
>>46227405

>>46229598

At the end of everything even Death dies.

With the world itself dying death istelf had less and less menaing, as the earth fell to its demise the underworlds opend up , the spitrs broke free and life had its menaing bled and blurred.

In this new age, all manner of unlife rises and exists.

The Six Seperartes, the core components of all beings, once held together for life, now slough and segement off.

Sheut the Shadow forerunner to all physcial things

Ha the body, vehicle of life

Ib the heart source of passion feeling and sapience

Ba the persona, the mentality and identity of a person

Ka the spirir the oversoul of all ther is

and Ren the name, foundation for reality itself.

As these broke strange beats began to ravage the lands.

The Zombi, those with Body but no Heart , or Spirit, ever hungry for the flesh of those who have what they lack feasting on the brains and Ba of the living

ravenous beasts such as Lilitu ,Gallu,aluka and ramanga with no heart who endless hunt down the blood of others.

Strange spirits such as the Adze, vetala and geist, bodyless and seeking out fresh hosts to take over

The powerful Loa and Titans, shadowless bodyless but with spirit beyond imaging who rip and tear this new world asunder

odd machines with no heart persona or spirit to think of .

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1iQkioFZYh9jTFd3I4aB6e6j8no5OyJxyGbkabBTiSD8/edit?usp=sharing

Feel free to edit your favorite demons, undead and vampires into the chart

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vampire_folklore_by_region

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Undead

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Ghosts
>>
>>46231469
Wowza this is complex. Interesting, but complex.
>>
>>46222931
There sould be a fatalistic faction that views themselves and the rest of sentient life as irredeemably corrupt and deserving of erasure, and wishes for the end to happen.
>>
>>46231863
I think that would be whoever follows the Goddess of Death.
>>
File: Gwyn face.jpg (112 KB, 800x433) Image search: [Google]
Gwyn face.jpg
112 KB, 800x433
>>46223228
>>A god with dementia perhaps, sitting on his ancient throne, his realm decayed around him drooling and mindless?
>>
>>46231907
Yeah, there's a lot of tone similarities with that of Dark Souls.
>>
>>46231907
>>46231942
never played DS and I offered up the demented god concept.

I'm unsure if the concept that the world can be saved by gods and heroes breaks from DS or not.
>>
>>46232003
The potential for the world to be saved for good breaks away from Dark Souls, but there's nothing wrong with this setting's doom and gloom being similar to Dark Souls doom and gloom. It's a pretty cool setting.
>>
File: hell spider.png (724 KB, 612x792) Image search: [Google]
hell spider.png
724 KB, 612x792
>>46232101
I'm honestly less concerned with borrowing ideas and more concerned with borrowing good ideas. Fiction tends to be a little incestuous and there's nothing wrong with that as long as we manage to be distinct even if we do borrow stuff
>>
>>46232208
I think there's enough distinction between the two, don't worry.
>>
This honestly all sounds very similar to a setting I've been developing on my own for the past several years as well, and that's just fine by me; if other people are interested in the same themes, I'm happy to be a part of it!
>>
>>46232277
What's your setting? Maybe something from yours could blend well with this one, and vice versa.
>>
File: hell bat.png (695 KB, 576x756) Image search: [Google]
hell bat.png
695 KB, 576x756
>>46227562
>demon
>Envy is a child of Desire a minor god who is him/herself a child of the Goddess of Life.
>Unlike the minor God; Pride, Envy is of little practical use to mortals.
>Whereas Pride encourages mortals to do better for their own sake Envy sows discord and fosters negativity between people.
>She is a venal creature that has no patience or heart for self improvement and would rather drag others down to her level than spend any time on self improvement.
>The apparent end of everything has done nothing to change her perception of reality and her constant whispers and machinations are not helping organized communities survive the Age of Rot
>>
File: metal album cover 0.jpg (1 MB, 1874x1600) Image search: [Google]
metal album cover 0.jpg
1 MB, 1874x1600
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0-8vp4akcPc

I recall an old post about a DM who got sick of his players asking for setting changes so he shunted them through time to a future where goblins had figured out magical nukes and destroyed all the human kingdoms.

I'm fine with removing all the tolkien shit, going back to roots. If there's Elves they should be Fae and Terrible. If we've got orcs theys hould go back to their tolkien roots, brutal, crude, and highly industrial preferably with gunpowder weapons and coal powered machines.

I'd rather see beast folk and goblins and kobolds and shit ascendent, living in shanty towns around human settlements and founding small villages. Vermin should be thriving in this environment so it stands to reason that aside from humans who are good at adapting Humanoid vermin like goblins, kobold, gnolls, etc would be living it up.
>>
Are there any groups in this setting that don't believe in the gods? Maybe not atheists, but outside groups with their own beliefs and understandings as to why everything is happening?
>>
>>46232798
well if we take the idea that the world has always existed as a truism you could have Animists and Gnostic types reject the idea that gods are worthy of worship and take the decline of the world as a cyclical thing.

you could also have >>46230334 as an attitude the gods have failed and must be held accountable for that failure.
>>
>>46232783
I do think the idea of vermin races coming up would fit well with this setting. We've already brought up the idea of crow demons becoming a thing, so other scavenger races eating away at the remains of the world would be cool.
>>
>>46223885
Seeing this, I can't help but ask, do you think that the damned are doing what they can to rise up to end existence even faster so that their suffering might end?
>>
>>46232893
so yeah, bringing in skaven but leaning off the idiotic plague spreading and comedic mad science shit. Minotaurs being brutal jerks, canid beastmen roaming in packs, catfolk slinking through the ruins, carrion birdmen acting as spies and messengers and so on and so forth.

>>46232924
some might but I imagine the underworld works on a "you do your time and then you're reborn" rules so even the damned have a shot at redemption if they wait long enough.

You'd have to be really selfish to want to end everything just so you don't take your licks.
>>
What if the underworld is, or at least believed to be, the remnants of the world that come before in the last cycle. Barren, unpleasant, and basically useless to the gods besides for banishing their evil children and using it as a punishment for mortal souls before they're reincarnated for a second chance at getting into the heavens. Normal demons that aren't corrupted gods and demigods are secretly the souls of ancient mortal beings strong enough to survive the complete collapse of their world.
>>
>>46232962
>The ratfolk mostly live nomadic lives, traveling the wastes in their large families in search for food, but instead of being assholes about it are willing to work for it. They're heavily community based and are willing to accept other races into their families if they can keep up.
>The minotaurs are a strain of race that came from an affair between the Mother and a demon. They are mostly worshipers of War and hold a very stoic "only the strong survive" mentality, but are finding it harder to stay together since food is getting scarce

Can't come up with anything for other beast races at the moment.
>>
>>46233252
neat

>The catfolk are nomadic and cupidic, few are the felines that can live past their immediate demands for food, water, and wealth. They live in a small family groups that splinter at the drop of a hat and are prone to infighting. They will only cooperate with others when they get something out of the exchange but prove to be loyal enough as long as they are kept paid. Occasionally however a group manages to find and claim monopoly on a fertile patch of land, magical green house, or some other wonder that lets them get past their endless search for instant gratification and build a society.

>Canidfolk come in various sizes and tend to form strong tribal bonds. They are as cupidic and impatient as the other beastfolk but tend to form strong bonds of loyalty with those who are willing to give them a chance. Typically they'll follow game animals and foraging paths in between raids on enemy tribes.

>Carrionbirds are the various tribes of Magpies, Ravens, Crows, Vultures, and so forth who bear humanoid features. They tend to be shorter and smaller than humans but make up for their handicap with teamwork and excellent scouting capabilities. They have a tendency to flutter about at the edge of other groups, taking scraps and selling their services to the highest bidder.
>>
>>46231633
did the chart help
>>
>>46233617
the chart helps, yeah.
>>
>>46233637

Its meant to be editable so folks can add in more stuff

does it work?
>>
I think at this point we should start expanding to different questhooks and potential adventures the heroes can go on.
>>
File: SMALLTIME.jpg (31 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
SMALLTIME.jpg
31 KB, 500x500
The PCs, being Demigod level beings, need access to demigod level resources. So we're talking airships, hyppogriffs, pegasi, pteradactyls, a chariot drawn by carrion-tribesmen etc. They'll need an army of tribal warriors to enforce their will. (as cities are few and far between they'll most likely be roaming nomads) They'll need artifacts that can feed their men like summer swords that can bring a period of growth to a region when planted in the ground and exposed to sunlight or cauldrons of plenty that can turn dirt and water into life sustaining soup. They'll need alchemists who can make blackpowder, artificiers who can fix the construct party members and so on.

the PCs intend to change the very pantheon (presumably with help from the Trickster) so getting control of a fortress or city is high on their priorities.
>>
A traveller from another world has arrived via a Void Ship, locals are scrambling to steal the ship so they may escape their fate. The PCs can try and steal the ship themselves, recruit the star wanderer, or simply help him for promise of aid.
>>
File: dbop.png (179 KB, 677x1062) Image search: [Google]
dbop.png
179 KB, 677x1062
>>46234128
With the Pantheon crumbling (if there's a time god) a time warp could bring forth a robot.

A cleaning robot.
This oddity seeks to clean and manage things, but gets frustrated and asks for help. A crow demon comes forth from the beckoning.

It asks for help, it must clean- it must clean this horribly unclean place! The crow demon obliges, thinking that it must be part of deaths domain due to its appearance, it goes to her .

"Death, Death! One of your workers needs a tool with which it may collect souls with!" Death obliges and gives the Demon a scrap of her cloak.

The demon leaves and splits in two, absorbing part of her power and giving the rest to the robot.

With this new power and purpose it seeks the need to clean, clean indiscriminately. It doesn't understand that not everyone must die, but it is deaf to them. It continually saps Deaths power with every soul eaten and grows stronger and stronger!

Death doesn't seem to care as she wants to simply float in her boat.
What of the Crow Demon? Can the New Death be soothed or destroyed?
>>
The false Moon Goddess has been capturing bards, a rare but welcomed people in these dark times, for unknown purposes, and it's up to the PCs to figure out what's happening to them.

They soon learn that she is forcing the bards to play music constantly or die, in a strange attempt to summon the Music Goddess, and make her write a ballad in her name as the new ruler of the night.

Her plan is completely insane, but as the Music Goddess is a daughter of the Sun goddess, getting to her might help you get to the Sun.
>>
File: metal album cover 31.jpg (935 KB, 1024x770) Image search: [Google]
metal album cover 31.jpg
935 KB, 1024x770
we need a name for this setting.

How about "Tales from the Gloom" or "Gloom World" or something?
>>
>A new gang of marauders is traveling the wasteland
>They've decided that if the world is going to die, they're going to be the "top of the food chain" and eat one of the few things that aren't rotting away, other people
>They'll accept anyone who will join them on their blind murder quest
>The worst part is they're being accompanied by the angry spirits of their fallen comrades, assisting in their hunt even in death
>In truth, they're being supported by the demon Suffering
>The PCs need to contact Suffering and stop them for good, revealing just how terrified they really are, and how this cannibal group is his attempt at therapy

>>46235483
Gloom World has an interesting ring to it.
>>
File: metal album cover 24.jpg (632 KB, 1462x2238) Image search: [Google]
metal album cover 24.jpg
632 KB, 1462x2238
>>46235810
I'd probably resolve this by just killing suffering.

"Gloom World" then, next we need to map out the setting a little bit and establish some setting touch stones.

>"Sun Engines" are magical power sources that contain pieces of the sun, called down by magic in an earlier age. They can still be made but the sun goddess's depression combined with the overwhelming entropy make it much harder. They vary in size from enormous buildings to globes that can fit in the palm of your hand and are becoming priceless in this age of privation and savagery.
>>
>>46236021
Killing Suffering would probably be harder than it sounds, considering he's a powerful demon, but hey, if he can be killed, that works. Maybe contacting Death to somehow get her to keep the ghosts in the underworld and then eliminating the rest of the gang would work too.

Also a map (and sun engines) sound like a good idea.
>>
File: metal album cover 33.jpg (122 KB, 726x576) Image search: [Google]
metal album cover 33.jpg
122 KB, 726x576
>>46236067

okay "The Eternal City" was mentioned in an earlier post. Lets say that's the Capital of an Empire, call it the Empire of the Noonday Sun. Empire's dead in the water, it can barely hunt down and stop the raiders going after the farms that feed the eternal city much less force it's former provinces to pay their taxes. It's Sun-Engine driven trains are breaking one by one and it's legions of Clockwork Golems are slowly being lost to the ages. A city that once thrived with dozens of species is being overtaken by vermin emigre and human savagery.

If something isn't done the Sun threatens to set on the Noonday Empire.
>>
>>46222834
Nausicaa
>>
>>46236206
We could also play with what's happening to the oceans right now for a potential location. Maybe a small seaside kingdom who's lost its nobilities and rulers a long time ago. Constant storms, panicking citizens, and the Rot have left it a water logged landscape, who's castle and city are flooded and home to various bird people tribes living in the high buildings, and mad fae spirits living in the waters below.
>>
File: catfolk riding an axlotl.jpg (527 KB, 1434x1266) Image search: [Google]
catfolk riding an axlotl.jpg
527 KB, 1434x1266
>>46236461
call it "Seaside" have any humans who live there get by on boats and stuff. But it's mainly an amphibious fish people and bird person area. Maybe the odd diver with breath apparatuses and swim capable mounts out to recover anything that may have survived the flooding or hunt fish for food.
>>
>There's a faction of dragons who are kidnapping humans and forcing them into the suicide pact so that they can keep their dragon souls in their human bodies and avoid the rotting
>Because the combination was not consensual, the newly made personality needs to fight against the former remnants of the human's soul and the dragon's soul fighting for dominance inside them.
>>
>>46233147
I like this.

It might be true, it might not.
>>
This should become a continuing thread. Someone start another one tomorrow and we'll develop this setting further. Do any people here have drawing tablets who'd be willing to contribute?
>>
>>46235483
I'm partial to Gloam instead of Gloom, myself. Means the same thing, just sounds more old timey.
>>
>>46242116
Gloam World then, sounds better anyway.
>>
>>46242116
The world of the dead/otherworld/underworld in my setting is called the Gloaming, and the hell equivalent/plane of punishment is called the Howling. And here I thought I was being clever. I guess there truly are no original ideas.
>>
>>46242445
The dimension in Eberron inhabited by dark fey is called The Gloaming
>>
>>46242116
>>46242183

I don't enjoy being that guy, but gloom and gloaming aren't related. They also have opposing ontological elements.

Gloom is the newer word, which comes from the word gloumen (or gloumben) and has been used both as a perceptual and description of light value throughout its usage. It is not directly related to a time period, like twilight.

The gloaming comes from the older word glomung, meaning twilight, and is related to the word glamr, meaning moon. The glowing quality of this word (pardon the pun) sheds light on the ontological differences here.

Gloaming is an interstitial time period, characterized by glowing, vespertine colors... a vibrant, orange and purple lit time between day and night. Gloom, on the other hand, is a descriptor of monochromatic value. While you can say that the very end part of the gloaming is gloomy, they otherwise don't relate to each other.
>>
>>46242785

>has been used both as a perceptual and description of light value throughout its usage.

What I meant here was that it has been used as both a description of light value and of mood. I apologize for being undercaffeinated.
>>
>>46242804
>>46242785
nerd
>>
File: wheat_field_14.jpg (236 KB, 800x513) Image search: [Google]
wheat_field_14.jpg
236 KB, 800x513
bump
>>
>a dream disc is a piece of worked glass covered in runes. when paired with dream glasses or a dream helm it lets one access a virtual world. This magic was originally intended for use in training and teaching but was coopted for entertainment purposes. They're rare artifacts in this benighted age and of dubious use when found
>>
File: 1267338850184.jpg (305 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1267338850184.jpg
305 KB, 1280x720
I think we need kingdoms and shit now.

I'm thinking at least one theocracy permanently under siege by things born from the breakdown of nature. Big monsters and such.

Also how does magic work in this setting?
>>
>>46246609
I'd like to think that magic is the fabric of this world, and the gods are gods because they have the greatest mastery of how it works. A mortal can't become a god because their bodies simply cannot control the sheer amount of magic and structure over the world that a god can. Mortals can only get a taste of it.
>>
>>46247471
eh I'm not digging that, mortals or demigods at least becoming gods should be a thing.
>>
>>46249151
This. But it should be extremely difficult.
>>
>>46249255
hey it's becoming a god, by definition no normal mortal should be able to pull it off.
>>
File: 1273165244652.jpg (299 KB, 1200x791) Image search: [Google]
1273165244652.jpg
299 KB, 1200x791
>>46249342
Why?

In any case no normal mortal is. Any mortal that manages to do so is by definition exceptional.
>>
>>46249704
I'd imagine becoming a god involves getting a fuckton of magical power, inheriting some kind of legacy, or getting a following.
>>
File: 1440594060654.jpg (163 KB, 960x960) Image search: [Google]
1440594060654.jpg
163 KB, 960x960
>>46249785
So long as it's sufficiently difficult to feel like an appropriately huge achievement.
>>
File: murrican beastman.jpg (56 KB, 538x480) Image search: [Google]
murrican beastman.jpg
56 KB, 538x480
>>46246609
the eternal city could work fo rthat
>>
>>46226482
No,no,no you are wrong.
The Mother Goddes loves this world and she knows it is dying. The eldricht abomination(s) are just a new inhabitants of this world,more adaptable to the current situation.
She just wants to make a world alive again,even if this means filling it with nightmares
>>
>>46227106
I would rather make them ordinary humans that know the world is dying and trying to stop that,while manipulated by various gods,and at the end realising this and deciding their own destiny
>>
>>46235483
I think it should be something with Rot,it plays a very prominent role in the setting
>>
>>46251901
Days of Decay
>>
This is really close to the Dark Souls. Not that I complain
>>
>>46242785
Gloaming still sounds better. Kinda like a non-chesy 'twilight world'. Also what would happen if the god representing denial tries to get kingdoms to act out old wars? Even though they no longer matter? Like fighting over mineral rich areas even though money is pointless.
>>
>>46253498
How about this. Dwarves retreated farther and farther into the earth and now their great halls are (presumably) empty. However the party is guided into, and then through one, by a series of very fresh inscriptions herding them to the home (or prison) of the son of the allMother
>>
>>46251918
Gloaming: Days of Decay.
The first edition of the series.
>>
We have vampires in this setting that are people who hunt demigods and drink their blood in hopes of becoming gods if they drink enough of the ichor they think is in that blood. We also have one family of vampires who wants to find the Oldfather and drink him dry, becoming the new rulers of the world.

Could there also be an interesting version of werewolves in this setting as well? The closet I can think of is a hybrid between a human and one of the canid beastmen, but that's kinda furry shit.
>>
>>46254415
not everything must have werewolves.
>>
>>46254587
I'm not saying we need werewolves, just if we could have an interesting take on werewolves, like, would it be possible.
>>
>>46254415
This kinda seems like Cashern Sins.
>>
>>46255245
KILL DEMIGOD
DEVOUR DEMIGOD
>>
>>46222834
Solar flare kills almost anything on the surface. Only those who dwelled far beneath the earth were unaffacted. An unnatural darkness covers the lands, to protect the now expanding kingdoms of the underground creatures which left their dwellings. With little to no resistance, these civilizations rule both above and below, with massive mist and shadow creating towers which blot out the sun, and the once dead surface, is now festering with mutated fauna sprawling beneath the cover of darkness.
>>
>>46256231
So the few survivors vye to take down these dark magic towers? I like it, gives the setting a global scale for the PCs.
>>
>>46222834
Every night a star blips out of existence and this is affecting mage's in a chaotic way as well as angering cultists and religious people believing the stars matter
>>
>>46256231
>>46256350
eh, I'm not digging a solar flare killing everything. Clashes with the depressed sun goddess and the slow decay of well...everything. Plus with war chained to a stone all normal wars are gone and it's down to the hoarding resources and spy intrigue/
>>
File: image.jpg (145 KB, 725x1103) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
145 KB, 725x1103
>>46256433
This guy knows what's up. It's called 'Dying World' and not 'Apocolypse' thread for a reason
>>
>>46256433
>>46256533
My bad, you could potentially have had this wars already happened the, to make it work. So the underground has emptied its denizens and basically warred on the surface for so long that they eradicated themselves with advanced weapons. What you would have left its near dead and bleak world, with lots of bits of old tech and some extremely deadly creatures here and there, and most of it is dark because of the towers, but these are unmanned and slowly malfunctioning.
>>
>>46256771
still not digging it. I prefer a world suffering from blunt decay. A Scorched world is a good setting but we already have established fluff and this clashes with it. No scorched world, if we even bother to have elves, dwarves, and orcs they're just gone, died out. Didn't get killed off by one great catastrophe the current condition is a product of long years of Rot not one great catastrophe that's had time to fade.
>>
>>46256853
>blunt decay
so by blunt you mean?
>>
File: image.jpg (130 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
130 KB, 1920x1080
>>46256853
This seems more origional. Cataclysms are a dime a dozen but 'the world is ending and it's nobodies fault' is pretty rare. People have paid a lot of attention to the sun in this thread. What about the moon?
>>
>>46257079
Well, the world is ending now, and it certainly isn't anybody's fault that space is accelerating and entropic death (or possibly the opposite) will occur when forces cannot interact between particles anymore because of the distances. If you want a truly dead and dying world, look no further.
>>
>>46257213
>Look up in the sky
>There are no stars
>The distances are too great
>It is impossible to know more about the universe
>The feeling of utter darkness and isolation
fuck
>>
>>46257079
The only thing someone's said about the moon so far is that there's a demigoddess claiming to be the new goddess of the moon, but she's basically just a cult leader. There's not a lot of lore on the moon yet.

>>46257422
sp00ky
>>
>>46257079
nothing yet, though the sea god is losing his shit and making travel across the ocean difficult. Could pull a zelda and have the moon turn into a giant skull and have the Storm god related to the moon somehow to relate to tidal forces.

>>46256894
simple decay, everything is suffering from magical rot. Undead aren't much of an issue because their corpses succumb to maggots, mold, and general decay, the sun doesn't shine as much as it used to or it shines too much, fruit withers on the vine etc.
>>
>>46257213
well the world is ending is one person's fault arguably, the Oldfather for refusing to step down before he was consumed by dementia.
>>
File: image.jpg (167 KB, 738x1082) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
167 KB, 738x1082
>>46257645
The tide is affected by the phases of the moon. I could see that working.
>>
>>46257662
Maybe the reason the Oldfather refused to step down was because he feared it would start the next kalpa (or whatever the end of their world and the start of a new one is called.)
>>
>>46258453
well if we take the inclusion of Demons from the Underworld and Things From Beyond as inexplicable eldritch horrors I think a better angle would be the Oldfather not accepting that he's too well, old, to use the Allforce (a magical power that the head of the pantheon uses to enforce their will on the world) to protect all of creation. So yeah he might not want to step down for fear of invasion and his presence keeps demonic invasions and stuff from happening due to long standing magical wards and stuff so if he's removed the world might get invaded by demons or eldritch horrors but as it stands the world is rotting and there might not be anything left to save if something isn't done.
>>
>>46257757
>>46257645
Could the sea god be raging not because of the Oldfather, but because of what could be happening to whatever deity represents the moon, if we have one? Maybe the sea god was indifferent to the Oldfather's condition, but something is happening to the moon which is making him angry and lashing out?
>>
>>46258632
well he's supposed to represent one aspect of the stages of grief, anger, also he's the earth god and is causing earthquakes which again reflects something that causes chaos on the ocean.
>>
>>46258678
If the earth and sea god are the same, then maybe he should just be angry that he can't save the Oldfather. The big five gods that represent grief should all be directly upset that their dad is dying.
>>
>>46258747
we kind of covered that earlier, that;s one of the reasons he's pissed presumably.
>>
>>46258789
Makes sense. I thought sea god might be a different god, and was just suggesting how he and the moon could be connected.
>>
>>46254268
>Gloam World: Good Night Earth
>>
>A group of dragon worshipers are in search for a legendary elder dragon, who is said to have a soul so powerful that it can perform the ritual suicide multiple times, giving humans different pieces of its soul
>Some humans willing give themselves up to dragons so that they can be reborn as stronger beings, and the dragon can escape their fate to live through the end of the world as unmoving, rotten husks
>However, it has always been a pairing of one dragon and one human, never one dragon and multiple humans
>the party needs to investigate what's going on
The Elder Dragon is really a golem in the shape of a dragon, created by a dying lich trying to figure out a new way to prolong is life
>>
>>46258622
That could work. Keeping the mortals safe from the demons is probably a good reason to keep staying alive, considering the named demons we have are all spiteful assholes and probably can't be reasoned with. It was also suggested that the underworld and the creatures that live in it that aren't banished demigods turned demons are remnants of the last world, so if they would probably want to have a new fresh world to live in.
>>
How do you think the different worshippers of the gods are reacting to all of this.

>Guardian God Worshipers: trying to keep the peace and convince the people that everything is fine
>Earth: Trying to find different ways to calm down their god
>Knowledge: Performing freaky experiments to save the world
>Sun: Praying as hard as they can to make the Sun Goddess feel better
>Life/Death: Either falling apart or become a murdering, suicidal death cult
>G
>>
>>46249704
Is that Monah and Wander from Shadow of the Colossus? Givin' me feels, over here.
>>
File: 1456793171426.jpg (116 KB, 400x1060) Image search: [Google]
1456793171426.jpg
116 KB, 400x1060
>>46259090
I really do like the idea of the underworld being a previous post world.

Maybe there is more than one potential underworld.

Turns out the cosmos is full of dead worlds. They all presumably fought at least as hard as you are fighting and they still ended. Even their native gods are gone.
>>
>>46261933
>The PCs find an ancient device that allows them to travel to different worlds in search for help
>They're all different dead worlds
;-;
>>
>>46222834
What people know of as "fish" are really birds.
>>
>>46262020
This has many implications.
>>
>>46262126
>>46262020
I dunno strikes me as stoner wisdom. Or a zelda reference. Not worth pursuing.
>>
Someone said before that Trickster's real father is actually a demon. Maybe some lore for his father would be nice?

The other demons are named after vices are general bad things, so maybe something like Deceit. While Trickster's actions are neutral to good, Deceit's whole goal in life is to simply fuck over people, Tzeentch style. Maybe he tricked the Mother to sleep with him by pretending to be Oldfather.
>>
>>46262258
Either that or Lust
>>
>>46262289
I don't know if Lust should be Trickster's father, but having a Lust demon around might be fun. They'd be pretty okay with child birth becoming a rarity, since that means more people are boning.
>>
>>46259211
>Earth: Trying to find different ways to calm down their god

Different groups will have different ideas on how to do this. A pilgrim could travel from one town where everyone is constantly praying, fasting and providing greater charity than any of them can afford while the next one is flagellating themselves and skinning people alive so that the Earth God fines pleasure in their pain.
Don't forget the massive orgies where they encourage their god to come down and join them.
>>
>>46262258
>implying Mother needed tricking
>>
File: 1386130147893.jpg (51 KB, 394x379) Image search: [Google]
1386130147893.jpg
51 KB, 394x379
>>46262258
I would love to flesh out lore for demon lords or demonology of any kind in this setting since I imagine it would be pretty appealing

When the gods betrays you, I bet the devil seems pretty friendly...
>>
>>46262687
True, Mother will take a pounding from anyone.
Do you think the mortals tell "your Mother" jokes as an insult to her followers?
>>
>>46265524
Yes.

Or at least the followers of less promiscuous gods do.

The followers of Mother also tell them because they know they're true and it's funny.
>>
File: ahyuk ahyuk.jpg (2 MB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
ahyuk ahyuk.jpg
2 MB, 1920x1080
>>46222834
a dying civilization ruled by incompetent metrosexuals that attempt to play god with people's lives in a misguided crusade for justice, removing personal freedoms and eroding the foundations of not only a productive society but a fulfilling life for the sake of what they perceive to be the greater good.

You could call it "The Real World" or "Right here, right now"
>>
>>46266712
The followers of Mother sound like chill folks.
>>
>>46267149
They are.

Except for, as always, the batshit ones.
>>
>>46267506
>Roaming band of rapists looking to get themselves/get others pregnant in the name of Mother
>>
This setting has a lot of opportunity for various game types depending on what the players want to be.

A party of mainly demigods would be dealing with high level monsters, maybe light war game rules when they get followers, and trying to save the world.

A partly of mainly humans would be more about being sneaky and avoiding fights when possible, and trying to win the small victories, like protecting a settlement from bandits or giving a minor demigod or god hope.

Not to mention all the weird races in between.
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 41

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.