[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Bad game, good engine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2
File: dungeon-world.png (172 KB, 500x211) Image search: [Google]
dungeon-world.png
172 KB, 500x211
Let's get it out of the way:

I think DW sucks. I think Apocalypse World sucks. Either is not very good at handling their chosen themes and settings and have very poor implementations of Marks and Bonds.

BUT stripped down, they offer a good engine that has been used for creative and novel roleplaying. Games like Monsterhearts and World Wide Wrestling use to full potential the engine, in order to bring unique roleplaying, making the flaws of the original implementations of the system into strengths. Urban Shadows actually plays as WoD should play out.

Are there other people that like the "Powered by Apocalypse" engine and particular implementations, even if the mainstream and most popular implementations fail hard? Or is this an unusual opinion, with most people either hating or loving Worlds, with no exception?
>>
File: animu girl do you suck dicks_1.jpg (50 KB, 614x572) Image search: [Google]
animu girl do you suck dicks_1.jpg
50 KB, 614x572
>>46219285
>Monsterhearts
>>
>>46219285
is there a wuxia implementation of the Apocalypse engine?
>>
>>46219399

No that I am aware, and it would probably not be very good at it.
>>
>pbta game
>being good at anything else than GM wanking
>>
>>46219285
Are you one of those guys who read Apocalypse World expecting Fallout?
>>
>>46219855

No, I expected it to be at least as good as any of the other post-apocalyptic RPGs out there.
>>
>>46219399
It's not pure wuxia, but the hack inspired by Avatar: TLA called "Legend of the Elements" that has wuxia elements. There are still a significant number of playbooks if you scrap the elemental ones, though, so it can still work.

>>46219685
At its core, a *World game is all about inter-character relationships and descriptions/"fiction" unhampered by extraneous mechanics, and I don't see how that approach hampers either the dramatic aspect of wuxia or the wire-fu aspect. LotE also does Tags rather than the clumsy HP mechanic DW decided to go with, so I'm reminded of Legend of Wulin; it's less "I'll be fine, knives only do 1d4 and I've got 14 HP" and more "I've got the tags Crippled Arm and Exhausted, but that doesn't limit my ability to attack him *socially* – I insult his honor!"
>>
>>46219962

A good World Wuxia game would need to be creative with Moves, but you are right, a lot could be done with Bonds and Marks to support the theme.
>>
>>46219962

Yeah, the problem is that most of the World games focus on getting mechanics "out of the way" and in being the dumbed down equivalent of something already on the market, having in the end a watered-down or mediocre product. While a *great* Worlds game is one that uses the mechanics of the World engine as something that really bolster inter-character relationship and descriptive actions.
>>
>>46219285
I agree that DW ultimately sucks at what it's trying to do, but what is the problem with AW?
>>
>>46220918
It has an engine made by a fifth grader loli
>>
>>46219285
I don't see how you can think the mechanics of DW are any good. It's the most bare boned and half assed system there is.
>>
>>46219285

What parts of their implementation are poor? The fuck's a mark? What about Bonds doesn't work? What do you like about monsterhearrts? I found the traction of buffy to be the most accessible to white 20something people but found the secondary economy of strings to lead to situations that felt much more forced than playing to find out what happens. Haven't played www, what about it do you like or think it does better?

Largely agree on dw being not very good for what are probably the standard reasons by now. HP, 6 stats, move bloat that becomes overly mechanical, huge ass book and opgengamelicese levels of crap people make for it.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.