[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
patrons and warlock favors
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1
File: download (4).jpg (7 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
download (4).jpg
7 KB, 259x194
i have this guy who plays a drow warlock in a 5e game im DMing. its everybody's first tabletop rpg including me and we are pretty early in the campaign. Anyway, the handbook says that the patron requires the warlock to preform favors in exchange for continued use of its powers. the players are about to reach level 2 and this player chose the great old ones "Cthulhu specifically" as his patron. my question is what would he ask of him in exchange for lending him his power? and would a elder god really personally ask a novice warlock for said favors?

if it was a fiend patron then i would have a easier time coming up with sinister requests and demonic ways of communicating them. to give a little context , the character is a 19 year old drow from the underdark with a criminal background , he was a enforcer for his gang and his parents were assassinated for political gain reasons. he left the underdark later for reasons he has yet to make clear. The group started causing trouble at a tavern in the first session. things escalated, they killed a couple of guards, and now they are wanted criminals.(not what i expected but i rolled with it).

the rest of the party consists of a silver dragonborn barbarian, a tiefling bard, a human ranger, and a new player is joining us next session on friday as a half elf "drow" sorcerer. i would appreciate any suggestions.
>>
Well the stories always have a large emphasis on the insanity, the elder god cultists, and the mystery of the items/effects/places. A low level favor could be something as simple as converting someone else, ritually sacrificing and animal/person. Higher level, or if you have time for one such ark, might be recovering some artifact of note, such as a cults shrine or prayer idol.
>>
>>46218527
The animal sacrifice sounds good actually, but how would he receive the message? would Cthulhu deliver it himself or maybe a lesser being that serves him would. i was thinking of having the player see hallucinations in the next mirror he comes by. and have his reflection tell him.
>>
>>46218616
Dreams, or similarly unconscious revelations are a strong motif. while sleeping is always a good idea, or possibly after having exerted himself you could have him temporarily pass out and receive the message then. I'm not too read up on my lovecraft, but I can't remember many lesser beings other than cultists.
>>
>>46218616

Cthulhu, in the short story, is powerfully psychic and projects dreams (that are disturbing). So, he could do that.

Or, he could send one of the Deep Ones who worship him.

One thing you should not do is have Cthulhu speak to him like it's a phone conversation. Cthulhu is an ancient, unspeakable horror who exists beyond normal reality. Having a talk about what would be a good sacrifice would cheapen this.

Also, I think that other anon meant human sacrifice. The lives of animals are completely uninteresting to something that views humans as ants, if it thinks of them at all.
>>
>>46218686
right, i guess ill go with the human sacrifice. i just hope he has the decency to not try sacrificing another party member .
>>
>>46218767
Don't make it needlessly evil. He is a warlock, unless his alignment is evil, it could be anything. Artifacts are good to use, maybe as retrieval (get this item and gift it to some academy to help "enlighten" them)
>>
Any good ideas for chain warlocks of the Great Old Ones, aside from the example in the book? Just as a fluff thing
>>
>>46218872
Good ideas for FAMILIARS*
>>
>>46218851

This is probably good assuming the Warlock isn't evil aligned (but Cthulhu most certainly is Chaotic and Evil). There are a number of artifacts in the Mythos that could serve as inspiration:

1.) In The Call of Cthulhu short story, grotesque but compelling icons/statues of Cthulhu are examined by several of the characters, and they could serve as an artifact necessary to be recovered.

2.) One of the statues was made by an artist influenced by Cthulhu's psychic power, and maybe the Warlock could create the work of art, or "influence" someone to do so for them (conversion to Cthulhu's cult might be a good start).

3.) The Necronomicon (no, not the one with Ex Mortis attached to the end - the original), an ancient, unholy book penned by a madman. It reveals truths about reality that make any sane person disturbed, and the insane cultist drool with anticipation. It contains incantations allowing one to summon things from beyond time and space (usually called the "Far Realm" in D&D), and may or may not contain information on transitioning between places, calling up the dead from "salts", other planets/planes, other ancient horrific gods, and the secrets of immortality through cannibalism.

Just to name a few. You don't have to use the Necronomicon as presented. You could easily break up each topic into discrete books, and the Warlock could "encourage" people to investigate/read them.
>>
>>46218879

I don't know if they have Farspawn or Psuedonatural creatures in 5e, but you could look up the Book of Madness for 3e. Also, there are small Beholders called Eyeball Beholders. Those could make a good familiar. Creepy, weird, has eye rays, and it can talk.
>>
>>46218931

LORDS of Madness, not the Book of Madness. Sorry. It's 2:35 AM here and I should be asleep.
>>
Start by reading http://www.hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/fiction/cc.aspx
>>
>>46218321

You should use these kinds of things to tie your players into the major arc you have set up, if at all possible. Yog-Sothoth wants the Warlock to dance nude on the altar of an ancient, unknown deity while covered in bulette blood. Meanwhile, the Paladin's god wants him to go to that temple to recover an artifact for slaying a great evil, the thieves' guild needs one of their operatives rescued from the temple, and the party wizard heard there might be some bomb-ass grimoires in the cave system leading to the temple. Bam, now you've got everyone on the same page for different reasons.

Warlock patrons give you a little element to motivate your players with. What you do with that should further your own goals—namely, directing them toward the fun adventure that you've spent so much time preparing. Making a side quest out of it misses the point, really.
>>
I have a player who plays his warlock like a priest/paladin. Worship your god, convert people, and claim artifacts. Establish cults/churches and so on.
>>
Somewhat related, but I am homebrewing some rules for warlock patrons based on different Cthulhu Mythos deities at the moment. I've got Yog-Sothot done (get some teleporting- and divination-based spells and abilities), but still need to do Shub-Niggurath and Nyarlathotep as well (I'm on the fence about doing Azatoth, because really it would be too mindless to serve as a proper patron, and if you somehow did attract its attention you'd probably be erased from existence). Any ideas on possible abilities?
For Shub-Niggurath, its thing is having a lot of monstrous spawn and being somehow connected to life, so maybe something that lets you summon a minion and heal your injuries. Some weird mutation stuff might also be appropriate.
Not really sure on what kind of abilities would be distinctively Nyarlathotep-like. In "Dreams in the Witch House" he grants you the power to travel outside angled space, but thematically that fits more with Yog-Sothot so I gave an ability based on that to it already.

Here's the current Yog-Sothot version, although it probably needs work (no idea on how balanced it is):

Extended Spells:
1st Level: Identify, Longstride
2nd Level: Augury, Blur
3rd Level: Blink, Clairvoyance
4th Level: Arcane Eye, Divination
5th Level: Planar Binding, Teleportation Circle
>>
>>46219573
Abilities:

1st level ability: You may use your move to instantly transport yourself into a space within a radius equal to your base walking speed (usually 30 feet). This may not be used to appear in places that would be unreachable with your ordinary movement (such as on the other side on an impassable chasm). Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

6th level ability: Drawing on the power of your patron you gain visions of the potential reactions your foe may take and counter them before they happen. You may use this feature when taking an action to prevent a creature from taking a reaction in response to it. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

10th level ability: Precognicient vision guide you with unerring accuracy, allowing you to see the course of action that ensures your foe will not avoid your attack. When making an attack roll or casting a spell, you may use this feature to gain advantage on your attack roll and give the target disadvantage on their saving throw. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a short or long rest.

14th level ability: You may use your move to step outside angled space and travel great distances instantaneously, treated as using the Teleport spell except that it only affects you and anything you're wearing or carrying. You may use this feature even if unable to cast spells (such as when inside an anti-magic field), but not if you are restrained. Once you use this feature, you can't use it again until you finish a long rest.
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.