[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/40krpg/: Warhammer 40k Roleplay General Part 1138: OP is running
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46
File: 1446081273834.jpg (9 KB, 345x146) Image search: [Google]
1446081273834.jpg
9 KB, 345x146
For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War. Not the wargame. Not Chapter Master. Or Space Hulk. ROLEPLAYING.

Book Repositories (mega is more comprehensive and up to date)
https://mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg
Shield of Humanity PDF
https://mega.nz/#!xlRWBaiI!MmOEkMse0wHVsyLDGbZJVGUXgVEuB9lWSyVl6ZhvgGM

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armour and NPCs/adverseries. Not updated past DH2 core.
http://www.40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v5.43.150418), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Not updated with any DH2 content.
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

Fear and Loathing (Ver 1.5.2) and The Fringe is Yours (Ver 1.6.0), /tg/ made Rogue Trader homebrew supplements for playable xenos, Knights, Horus Heresy gear, and other things
http://www.mediafire.com/view/kpl4pvkdiidvg6n/Fear_and_Loathing.pdf
http://www.mediafire.com/download/2zfoc5jo7s7vrb5/The_Fringe_is_Yours.pdf

>Previous Thread
>>46141652

Stupidest thing your party or players have done that they somehow survived? Bonus points for not being declared Excommunicate Tratoris.
>>
>>46216684
>Stupidest thing your party or players have done that they somehow survived? Bonus points for not being declared Excommunicate Tratoris.

They put a dybuk in a car (a dybuk is a lesser daemonhost, for anyone who hasn't read Disciples of the Dark Gods from DH1e), while it was locked up in a warded cage, and then set the car on fire, stuck a cinderblock on the gas pedal, and threw it at a gang boss.

They got away with it.
>>
Gonna be playing my first Psyker character, what are your tips.
>>
>>46216898
1. DO NOT FLAUNT YOUR POWERS IN PUBLIC. Unless you really feel like rolling up a new character.
2. Psykers aren't like wizards in other settings. Your first answer to a problem should never start with the words "I cast", "I invoke" or "I focus X power." Always solve problems the mundane way first, the less you have to roll Psychic Phenomena or Perils, the better. If shit starts going south, or if there's clearly a problem only Psykers could solve, go ahead, BUT KEEP IT AT FETTERED.
3. Every character you meet that knows what you are, that isn't a heretic, will hate you. Every character, including heretics, will fear you. Feel free to use that in interrogations. Pull some Voice of the Legion shit, make them piss themselves.
4. Be able to use a weapon more powerful than a Stub automatic or a Staff. Make yourself useful while you AREN'T using your powers.
5. Corollary to the above, learn a skill that isn't Lore, Weapons, or Psyker related. You'll be in the back ranks a lot, so maybe go for Medicae as a backup if the Chiurgeon goes down.
6. Try to avoid Bolter Bitches, and the Ecclesiarchy as a whole. Alternatively, make REALLY GOOD FRIENDS with the local Ecclesiarchy, it may save you a few angry mobs later.

Miss anything?
>>
File: 85858556.png (347 KB, 500x375) Image search: [Google]
85858556.png
347 KB, 500x375
>>46216888
>>46216888
Samefagging here, let's just go down The List of Dumb Shit My Players Have Done.

To date:

1. The psyker has used pyrokinetic powers TWICE in public while ostensibly undercover, leading the local Arbitrator garrison on Scintilla to believe there's a rogue psyker roaming the middle and upper hive in Hive Sibellus causing mayhem and rounding up hundreds of witnesses to unsanctioned manifestations of psychic powers.

2. The AdMech Skitarii guy pissed off, and then got into a duel with, an heiress to House fucking Krin. Then brutally killed her in front of all her friends Mortal Kombat style by kicking her in the chest, breaking like four ribs from an Impact Critical, and then stomping her leg off at the knee and letting her bleed out.

3. Striking a deal with a crime boss for information by indebting themselves unconditionally (that's gonna bite them in the ass later).

4. The Dybuk Carbomb.

5. Getting into a pitched shootout with the private honor guard of the gang boss they targeted with the Dybuk Carbomb (which they won).

And the list just keeps on growing. I'm sure I missed something somewhere. Pic related, it's my fucking face every time.
>>
>>46217043
Oh, last thing.

If you take Pyrokinetic abilities, the guy with the flamer, regardless of what side he's on, is your best friend ever. Unless its an Incinerator. Then you run like a motherfucker.
>>
>>46217054
You forgot the road rage incident. We used intel gathered at the gang boss's hideout and stole a truck, which we used to Kool-Aid Man our way into the desecrated underchurch the baddies were using as a hideout. Our designated driver failed her Fear save when she saw how many dybuks were waiting for us inside, so the intoxicated boy-knight (that's me!) who'd never driven an automobile before in his life shoved her into the passenger seat and took the wheel. He then proceeded to get a series of lucky rolls that had us smash through pews, cultists, and everything else in our way, mulching all three dybuks with the same ramming action, and obliterating the entire high-stakes action scene you'd prepared in only one or two turns.
>>
>>46217043
Thanks a bunch.
>>
File: 545455455.gif (45 KB, 354x200) Image search: [Google]
545455455.gif
45 KB, 354x200
>>46217244
>That feel when your own players are watching this very thread.

Unfortunate part is that I can't even be mad. These are clever players doing clever things, and getting some pretty hype fucking moments in during the course of the game.

On the other hand, holy fuck I hate you bastards. Fuck your bullshit, Brian.
>>
File: ulqvocoq3djxt14nvnpp.jpg (48 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
ulqvocoq3djxt14nvnpp.jpg
48 KB, 500x500
Hey /40krpg/, I'm playing in an only war game where we are armsmen for a rogue trader that is starting soon. I was lamenting the rarity of motorcycles to my GM occured to us. I don't need a motorcycle, I just need a bike. How you you stat a bike in 40kRPG, how much would it cost?
>>
>>46218496
As in just a regular, pedal-powered bicycle circa M2?
>>
How do I make an eldar game?

How do I make an eldar game that's interesting?

How do I find people interested in roleplaying eldar?
>>
File: screenshot.12.jpg (370 KB, 1678x639) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.12.jpg
370 KB, 1678x639
>>46218554
You don't.
You Don't.
I'm suspecting we already have a story about you.
>>
File: screenshot.13.jpg (288 KB, 924x606) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.13.jpg
288 KB, 924x606
>>46218570
>>
File: screenshot.14.jpg (308 KB, 827x605) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.14.jpg
308 KB, 827x605
>>46218580
>>
>>46218547
Yes, just a run of the mill mechanical 3 speed, or even a fixie. Like Pic related.
>>
>>46218588
Type: Wheeled Vehicle
Crusing Speed: (SB or AB)*3
Tactical Speed: (SB or AB)*2
Manoeuverability: +10
Structural Integrity: 5
Size: Average
Armor: None
Vehcile Traits: Bike, Ramshackle, Wheeled Vehicle
Crew: 1 cyclist
Carrying Capcity: 1 basket worth of gear (see: common-quality backpack)
Special:
In high gear mode, the bicycle gains the Enhanced Motive Systems trait on flat land.
In low gear mode, the bicycle gains a +20 to operate tests going up inclines

May take a bicycle bell. A bicycle bell has an avilability of plentiful.
May be fitted with a light equal to a stablight and has the same availability as a stablight

Probably needs some refinement.
>>
>>46218588
This is probably retarded but good luck.
>>
>>46218677
That's pretty awesome, thank you.
>>
>>46216684
The Dark Heresy 2e folder is missing the Errata available on the FFG website, probably should get that added.
>>
File: 1327081108566.jpg (333 KB, 900x1523) Image search: [Google]
1327081108566.jpg
333 KB, 900x1523
>>46216268
Let's see, our enemies are... Quite something I tell you.

>Inquisitor Nedolzatjiv Romaza
She rolled into our sector from outside, decided she gets to hunt her fellow Inquisitors for not being Puritan enough, then ambushed and put explosive collars on us for going to meet an Inquisitor who, unbeknownst to us, was consorting with Xenos. We did ruin her day in the end by capturing her and putting brain-damaging amounts of sedatives in her.

>Lord Inquisitor Rorsaka
Aforementioned Inquisitor whom, unbeknownst to us was consorting with Eldar. Was a trusted old ally up until the point where we decided to parlay with the representative of an unknown Xenos species called "Necrons", at which point she rang up the Eldar and caused a Craftworld to decimate the sector's Navy, bomb a hive world, then move on to the local Space Marine chapter's domain to bomb it all to shit to stop the Necrons from awakening.

>[REDACTED] (Once also known as Thaddius Phlogiston)
Our Inquisitor PC's former fellow party member, the most powerful psyker in the sector at the time, loud and brash and (in his mind) extremely devoted to the Emperor. In truth was a deluded Heretic who regularly caused disaster with his pyromantic powers, even blew himself up a few times, and after being Cyber-resurrected tried to build himself a new body out of a Space Marine because he hated machines just THAT much. In the end got captured by heretics multiple times and ended up consumed by and becoming part of a Daemon he accidentally summoned at the campaign arc's finale.

>Inquisitor Pelmont Nayl
THE Arch-heretic, period. Once a mere radical who was willing to use sacrifice and unholy ritual to get an Astropathic message off a doomed world at the end of our very first campaign arc, in the end he was a monstrosity in the Astartes body that [REDACTED] once built for himsel, with Daemonic gear out the wazoo. And he had the audacity to think he served the Emperor all along the way.
>>
>>46218554
Use someone's homebrew, I would suggest Shas.
I would suggest Corsairs, anything else would be boring.
It's annoyingly easy.
>>
What's the most fun incident you've had in your games?

>administratum Hermes Conrad ripoff tackles a daemon into a warp portal, saving the hive world at the cost of his own life
>>
>>46220001

PC's car had a daemon bound to its engine
>car gets wrecked
>PERILS
>greater daemon bursts its way out from the engine and goes ham.
>>
>>46220001
I had my Ogryn fight another Rogue Trader's champion in one on one combat.
My rival's champion got some good hits in, but the Ogryn picked him up and threw him off the side of the spire.

The look on that fucker's face when it happened was priceless.
>>
>>46220008
Did they know there was a daemon in years engine?
>>
File: 1423781785346.jpg (34 KB, 400x516) Image search: [Google]
1423781785346.jpg
34 KB, 400x516
>>46220001

>>46217054 <- I'm this guy. The GM for Mr. Ioudas Boy-Knight.

Ioudas got busted sneaking around in a place he shouldn't be and two guards cornered him, got into melee, and then drew shock mauls to beat the fuck out of him. This goes for a couple rounds until they both land hits, and Ioudas can't parry both. Ioudas takes some damage, fails the Toughness roll vs Shocking, and is stunned for two rounds.

The guards kick his weapon away, slap some cuffs on him, and point their guns at the back of his head.

Ioudas immediately makes an Acrobatics roll to contortionist his way out of the cuffs, makes it, then immediately Frenzies and gets his chainsword back.

The resulting blending didn't exactly take long, and one guard actually survived enough punishment that he was merely incapacitated after losing an eye and an arm. I was hoping Ioudas would let him off the hook because he was such a badass for a regular mook, but the murderhobo proceeded to finish him off and then made an escape from the building under cover from the rest of the team waiting outside.

I remember just being pic related for a second when Ioudas' player (fuck you Brian) declared his Contortionist roll. I honestly forgot he could do that. 52 Agility and the Acrobatics skill let you do some bullshit, alright.
>>
Help me guys, I am immensely conflicted about whether I should permit a player of mine to play in my Rogue Trader game with one of Shas's Necrons.

I just... I just don't see it ending well, in any way, for anyone.
>>
>>46220873
Sounds like you've made your mind up.
>>
>>46220873
Don't let it happen, trust me.

Rogue Trader is prone to overpowered bullshit, but Necrons are a whole category beyond what can be considered 'reasonable' for Rogue Trader.
>>
>>46220873
While we're talking about Necrons;
What are some cool trinkets my players might forseeably loot from a Necron Tomb?

They obviously don't know it's a Necron Tomb and think it's just some old xeno religious site that got wiped out. So if the green lightning can be kept to a minimum that'd be neat, I'm drawing blanks however.
>>
>>46221252
Advanced Fabricators or...reverse Fabricators?
>>
>>46221252

If you wanted to go balls deep into the tech, you could find some weird time travel shit, and have that be a hook into the next adventure.
>>
>>46218677
Many thanks. This is great. Any idea what it might cost? I don't know get.
>>46218807
It's all terrain, logistics independent, cheap, easy to repair... The perfect light transport for your practical guardsman.
>>
I kinda want to use the shit that's in that Excel doc that comes with the Deathwatch Republican Marine downloadable stuff, but I dunno, should I?
>>
>>46222424
If you hate 40K but want to run spergs morons, sure.
>>
>>46222531
Hmm, point taken.
>>
>>46221252
Just look at the kind of gear they carry in the new codex. You're looking at tons of power swords. Tthose fancy particle cannon weapons including pistols.

I've been itching to homebrew something. How do these sound:

>grave gauntlet: a slender silver shoulder-length glove. When worn it exudes a thick grey mist (cloud of nanites). This fog cloud dampens sound and energy. Reduce the damage and penetration of any weapon firing at a target in the cloud (but not firing out) by 4. Any character in the cloud gains a +20 to concealment tests. Any day in which the glove for more than one hour, they must test against either willpower or toughness. Failure indicates that's the alien technology has begun to infiltrate the character's body. They gain one corruption point per day that they fail this test.

> Amulet of immortality. Wild wearing this small, thumb sized amulet against one's skin, the aging process all but stops. The wearer also counts as having the auto sanguine implant. Any cybernetics which the weather might have implanted gradually become more refined looking and cleaner. If they were ever takes a critical hit while wearing the amulet, roll a toughness test for the wearer at -50. Failure indicates that the amulet has fused to his flesh and is now a cybernetic implant for all intents and purposes. Within a month, all cybernetics will be replaced with equivalent implants of Necron design. Every month after that, roll another Hellish toughness test. Failure indicates that part of the character's body gains a xenos prosthetic of Necron design.

>rod of command. A small rod with a crook or curve at one end, this gilded rod automatically translates every word the bearer says into a powerful vox broadcast of machine language. Anyone holding the rod gain a +20 on all tech-use tests to interact with any vox unit, auspex, or cogitator. They also receive a +20 on all rolls to interact with any servitor, construct, or Abominable Intelligence.
>>
>>46220873

You sound like you made your mind up so cheers to that. The necrons in the book are hyperfocused at their jobs, and pay an xp tax as a result. They are stronger and tougher than humans, even some space marines, but good luck breaking out of their narrow, regimented toolsets.

Out of all of them (base) Nemesor, Cryptek, and Praetorian are the most fun. If you allow the alt ranks, Phaeron really makes you feel like a war leader.

Just dont allow C'tand master. Even shas says it's just a 3 page Jojo joke.
>>
If Edeldorf shows up again: Other than the advances you've got in your homebrew, what career paths did you use? Did you just use the shit from Only War and The Fringe is Yours?
>>
>>46222704
I like the Grave Gauntlet quite a bit. Amulet of Immortality seems like a different take on the Halo Devices. Rod of Command is fantastic. Pinching it!
>>
>>46222704
I like the items, but it doesn't seem to me that necrons would be very interested in corrupting other races when they could just kill them. This applies to oldcrons and newcrons, unless we're talking about a cryptek.
>>
>>46216684
>Playing a buffed up NPC/Temporary PC ganger for a short arc
>Learn during one session that after readying a firebomb, dropping it will detonate
>Dropping it is a free action
>Proceed to become surrounded by cultists
>Doing rather well considering, but gondiesoon.jpg
>Figure character is crazy enough to try this
>Draw firebomb, ready firebomb, drop firebomb
>"Dodge" behind one cultist, using them to avoid the fire AND avoid getting shot at by the others
>Dude had two firebombs and a couple knives and took out more than a score of cultists singlehandedly that session

>Later, decide to try trick again.
>Procure firebombs again from other ganger TPC
>Ready both
>Run to cultist leader high on a pulpit
>Climb pulpit
>Drop both firebombs adjacent to cultist leader
>Let go of pulpit and fall to safety as a free action
>Sadly didn't do as much damage this time, higher level enemies, most dodged, but it did disrupt things somewhat.
>Spent next several rounds prone, melee attacking from prone, and dodging melee attacks

>Ganger TPC was handed back to the GM after all of this, went down to 1 wound in the first firebomb escapade, spent the entire combat with the cultist leader and his top cronies at 0 wounds and still fighting. He is still alive and probably has a greater fondness for fire now.
>>
>>46223764
They weren't intended to corrupt other races, they just weren't meant to work for other races. Liquor option is a side effect of the devices trying to fix the other races because their body layout does not match what they were intended to work with.
>>
>>46223913
Corruption.

Son of a bitch but I hate voice recognition typing.
>>
At what point is it appropriate to switch from SP weapons over to bolters, and is it actually 100% necessary, or can you use different ammo (Man stopper, bleeder, etc) to make up for the lack of power SP guns have later on?
>>
>>46225023
Depends on your ballistic skill more than anything else, a kitted-out Autogun with Manstopper rounds will laugh in the face of Boltguns if the character is getting a high number of degrees.
>>
>>46225023
SP weapons aren't helpless even at high levels. Especially with all the weapon mods available. Hell, my Marine in Deathwatch favors his combat shotgun over a bolter any day of the week.
>>
whats a good last name for a female tech priest from mars named Serena?
>>
>>46225023
Remember bolters are rare and can be easily tracked back to you if you don't cover your tracks
>>
>>46225578
Hackwrench
>>
I did play warhammer40k but then i got fed up i guess things have changed a lot.
>>
>>46225996
Yeah, now Warhammer 40k gets fed up with people
>>
>>46220873

I allowed a necron in one of my games, just to see the trainwreck. It turned out to be no different from allowing a deathwatch kill marine in. Same principles can be used against it.
>>
>>46227018
Alone necron, without his hordes of bellows, swarms of attendant servitor drones 4 terrifying vehicles and vessels?

Is there a good reason for absolutely every mechanicus and skitarii in the sector 2 not immediately be hunting him down for capture and vivisection / disassembly?
>>
>>46227453
>Alone necron, without his hordes of bellows, swarms of attendant servitor drones 4 terrifying vehicles and vessels?

No, it was a Phaeron Nemesor, so he could teleport a few immortals to his side.

>Is there a good reason for absolutely every mechanicus and skitarii in the sector 2 not immediately be hunting him down for capture and vivisection / disassembly?

They tried. They failed pretty horribly, due to the actions of the players, but they tried.
>>
>>46218554
You run an all Dark Eldar party in RT. I did so once and it was pretty fun while it lasted. Highlights included stealing a party van during a Hive raid and a Not!Redline deathrace.
>>
Are there any stats for non-kroot Tau for BC, OW, 2e, or will I have to adapt them from Deathwatch and that Tau supplement for RT?
>>
>>46229655
RT is the only system that has any non-human PCs at all.
>>
>>46229655
The only place the Tau could reasonably be is in the Jericho Reach as it's on the other side of the galaxy. Kroot spread out a bit but Tau don't and can't so they've not been statted outside of Deathwatch.
>>
>>46222151
Average or common?
>>
So i'm playing a Black Crusade game and my Renegade got Slayer Limb. Is the SL'd weapon affected by handedness and thus needs ambidextrous to work efficiently as your offhand? I can't seem to find anything about this anywhere.
>>
>>46231090
I would imagine so.
Just because you got a Bolter fused to your left hand doesn't mean you're instantly coordinated with it.
>>
>>46231133
Seems to be the consensus, but you are coordinated enough to point at something with your left finger. Either way i'll just pick up Ambi.
>>
>>46231242
Neither as accurately, or quickly as your dominant hand.

Which is represented in the off-hand modifier.
>>
>>46231287
I would argue that but fair point good sir.
>>
>>46231305
I'll chip here.

If one of the Four Gods of Chaos fuses a weapon to your hand, if they can do that, I feel like they'd throw in Ambi so their gifts aren't completely wasted.
>>
>>46231741
>so their gifts aren't completely wasted
Yeah, because when they give you a tentacle instead of a right hand, turn you inside out, or turn your head into a perpetually screaming flaming skull, they're REALLY looking out for your best interests.

This is Chaos man, they're not going to hold your hand.
You can BUY Ambidextrous, it's cheap.
>>
File: Glitch Doctor.png (462 KB, 902x996) Image search: [Google]
Glitch Doctor.png
462 KB, 902x996
So for my next PC, I'm doing a Feral World tech-priest. He's from a back water world, viewed as a powerful shaman. He's the tribe's Glitch Doctor (pic related).

So, Tech Priest with a Witch Doctor theme. I want to make sure necromancy and zombie themes are there. So we decided he specializes in 'raising machines back from the dead,' AKA fixing them.

For the zombie thing, I was thinking if he created and controlled servitors it'd be very thematic. Just gotta figure out a way to go about it.

Is there a good way I should build this using the DH2 system?
>>
>>46232976
Feral World > Adeptus Mechanicus > Whatever Role you want

Then just buy and have a penchant for Servitors and Servitorisation.

Done.
>>
>>46232976
Either go Admech after Feral World, or go Heretek from Enemies Without. Optionally go for Frontier World instead of Feral. For ideas, in The Lathes World for DH1, there is a world that sounds very much what you are aiming for, called Ryboth.

Short version, planet was a forge that got hit by a giant gamma burst from the star. Admech wrote off reclaiming it until conditions stablized. Expected no one alive there but surprise, humans don't know when to quit. Locals are great at making due with scraps.
>>
>>46233145
>>46233250

Good stuff. I was wondering if there were already talents for creating/controlling servitors, or if it was something I'd have to work out with the GM
>>
File: tumblr_n6qa925xpg1s5nxpvo2_1280.jpg (371 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n6qa925xpg1s5nxpvo2_1280.jpg
371 KB, 800x1000
>>46232976
Glitch Doctor!
(Dun dun dun dun dun)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ttGgIQpAUc

Glitch Doctoooor!

(Dun dun dun dun dun)
>>
So i am starting my OW game soon. Kinda making up my own plot, party is gonna be facing off against the Severan Dominate by invading one of their planets. They are taking this thing from the get go, meaning the first mission is planetary landing.

I have already made sure they know to expect an absolutely brutal game. They made a mudnblood trencher regiment with a decidedly Krieg asthetic, and i told them they can expect to get their asses beat for any mistake they make, and sometimes if they do stuff right. Going for a real war is hell sort of vibe.

The first session is going to be a brutal dead-drop against a fortified Severan base that will be eventually turned into the first FOB the party will be using. I have some ideas for making the assault pretty brutal, and there will be a slog across a field of mud to storm a fortified position.

What i am not so solid on is what to do after the initial drop? I mean i have an idea of how i want the campaign to go but how can i make trench warfare interesting? I want it to feel harrowing and deadly without a lot of just sitting behind sandbags and waiting. Anyone have experience running this sort of game?

This is the second time we have run Only War so the party is at least slightly familiar with the system
>>
>>46233370
Binary Chatter from the previous addition was about it, and then the Whispers of Sahmdi from Lathes. Making them would just be crafting checks, and the proper facilities. The last one is the hardest. You can lobotomize people and then plant chips to control them, or hypnoindoctrinate them easily enough. But finding what amounts to Potentia Coils to power them, and then all the synth muscle, skeletal reinforcement, and weapons to toss into them? That's if we're taking combat patterns of course.
>>
File: DH BOJ CMH.png (594 KB, 539x615) Image search: [Google]
DH BOJ CMH.png
594 KB, 539x615
>>46233370

If you don't mind digging into older books and adapting them with your GM...

The Cyber-Mastiff Handler rank from Dark Heresy: the Book of Judgement gives you a few useful talents for controlling packs of cyber-hound. Pic related.
>>
File: Constructor Interface.png (1 MB, 1602x902) Image search: [Google]
Constructor Interface.png
1 MB, 1602x902
>>46233370
>>46233974

The Constructor interface from the same book also seems relevant.
>>
File: Colchite Servo-Master.jpg (673 KB, 2202x1380) Image search: [Google]
Colchite Servo-Master.jpg
673 KB, 2202x1380
>>46233994
Whoops, forgot to crop.
>>46233370
In Rogue Trader: Navis Primer the Colchite Servo-Master seems like a fun thing to adapt.
>>
File: Hack the Planet.png (4 MB, 1027x1366) Image search: [Google]
Hack the Planet.png
4 MB, 1027x1366
>>46234074
Alternatively, figure out how these guys work.
>>
File: klaher-baklaher-mehanikus.jpg (247 KB, 1003x1599) Image search: [Google]
klaher-baklaher-mehanikus.jpg
247 KB, 1003x1599
>>
So... the Rak'Gol.

Fuck those guys, am I right?
>>
>>46236316
My group of 4 took on a singular Rak'Gol Marauder last session.

The Arch-Militant went to -6 in criticals, and the Voidmaster was heavily wounded.

But they did learn the trick is to use Power Weapons. Their cyber-blades are just as vulnerable as any weapon to the effects of a Power Field.
>>
>>46236807
But their Natural Weapons aren't! Oh, you broke my fancy arm-swords? Let me just bite your head off. Have fun picking radioactive teeth out of your clavicle.
>>
>>46236962
Thing is, natural weapons don't have penetration, only do 1d10 + 8, and double enemy armour.

So yeah, it's fairly crippling for most Rak'Gol.
>>
Why are they called hellfire rounds when they use acid?
>>
File: mhDTwwF.png (314 KB, 509x652) Image search: [Google]
mhDTwwF.png
314 KB, 509x652
>>46238887
Like fire,
Hellfire.
This fire in my skin.
This burning
Desire
Is turning me to sin.
>>
>>46219641
Pelmont Nayl didnudunuffinrong.
>>
How to stealthily and silently kill with a knife?
>>
>>46240499
Constantly remind your GM that the target should count as helpless and unaware meaning you stack crazy modifiers and can do more than 8 damage. Perhaps argue for Vengeful (9) in the case of a knife to the throat.
>>
>>46240499
NPC will laugh at you and ridicule you because knife only does d5 damage.
It's not possible to kill someone with a knife unless dm house rules unaware enemies go straight into crits or the death is handled narratively
>>
>>46241765

I'd let a knife ignore any armour that isn't void-sealed in a sneak attack. That combined with a few talents (Like the WS mod to damage one) would let you stab most basic guards to death pretty easily.
>>
>>46240856
Unaware, maybe. If he's not unconscious, or at the very least anything below alert, he can't be considered helpless per the rules.
>>
>>46240499
Depends, it's quite common practise for GMs to have Troop-class enemies in 2E instantly killed by Righteous Fury. Sneaking up on someone will almost always result in a +60 to WS for a proper assassination, giving you a relatively okay chance for getting high enough degrees to trade your damage roll for a result viable for righteous. There you go, instant-killed mook.
>>
>>46242419
>trade your damage roll for a result viable for righteous
it only works for multiple attack / burst action, anon.
>>
Any music to get in the right mood for Dark Heresy?
>>
>>46242528
>"For all attack rolls, count the Degrees of Success. The attacker may choose to replace the result on a single Damage die with the number of Degrees of Success from his attack roll. If the attack inflicts more than one die of Damage, the attacker may replace the result on one die of his choice with the Degrees of Success from the attack roll."
-Black Crusade, page 241
-Dark Heresy 2nd Edition, page 227
>>
>>46242810
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ad3fWkTJU_E
>>
>>46242862
Cont references:
-Only War, page 250
-Deathwatch, page 245
-Rogue Trader, page 245

This rule has been around for all the lines except maybe Dark Heresy 1E, which I don't have the book for right now.
>>
Quick question from someone new to the system:

In Rogue Trader, each Career Path has a listed set of "Starting Skills". But I can't seem to find where it says what "Starting Skills" actually *mean*.

Are they Basic Skills? Free Trained Skills? Recommendations for new players? Something else entirely?
>>
>>46243658
Starting Skills are the Skills you get at the Trained (+0) level at character generation for free, some are Basic, some are Advanced.

In case you don't have a grasp of the difference between Basic and Advanced, the Skills chapter of the core rulebook should help in signifying the differences and which Skills belong to which.
>>
>>46243691
>Starting Skills are the Skills you get at the Trained (+0) level at character generation for free, some are Basic, some are Advanced.
Then why are some of those skills also listed as Rank 1 advances? (I'm specifically looking at Explorator here, with its Lore skills, Tech-Use, and more.) Is it for some cross-classing issue?

>In case you don't have a grasp of the difference between Basic and Advanced, the Skills chapter of the core rulebook should help in signifying the differences and which Skills belong to which.
Elsewhere in character generation, you get the opportunity to treat certain advanced skills as basic; I was wondering if that was the same case here.
>>
>>46243858
>Then why are some of those skills also listed as Rank 1 advances? (I'm specifically looking at Explorator here, with its Lore skills, Tech-Use, and more.) Is it for some cross-classing issue?
That part in particular was always weird, and is likely just an obvious pointer on how to debuff the career's starting abilities if the GM wants a more low-end campaign. Sometimes the character starts off with things on the advance scheme, at which point just consider those things as already bought.
>>
>>46243858
The first thing is a matter of redundancy, that has been present in all the 40k rpgs. I think the idea is that if it appears on the advance table some sperg can't argue that the character can't buy upgrades for that skill.
>>
>>46233813
Depends on what your games will be scale-wise. My OW campaign for example has a lot of platoon-level action so my players are rarely completely on their own, only doing missions alone when the platoon needs something done quick by a single squad. Likewise, by what you said so far it looks like the scenario you have going means big numbers, even if they are just a backdrop and the action is zoomed in on what the players are doing. If you want to have some small scale action during trench warfare, there's actually enough stuff to get a few sessions going.

1) during guard duty on their section of the trenches they might need to spot enemy activity with awareness checks, report them and then get orders to react. Enemy snipers are always welcomed in such a scenario.

2) always on the defensive, while in the second lines they might encounter some enemies that managed to sneak past the sentries, up to you how they actually managed that and finding out might be the focus of a few sessions

3) mining duty, either defensive or offensive. Engineers are digging underground and the enemy is expected (or outright confirmed) to be doing the same, so the players are playing baby sitters. This will lead to sudden engagements underground: point blank range, poor vision and the need to tone down the heavy hitting stuff if you don't want to get the tunnels to cave in. You can have just some small skirmishes to stop the enemy activity and then blow up the tunnels, or a protracted firefight that will take them to the enemy lines.

4) no man's land patrolling, avoiding enemy snipers and intercepting the enemy's own patrols to capture one of them and have him talk, this was something constantly going on in war and often enough the last member of a patrol just vanished and was never seen again.

cont.
>>
>>46244182
Yeah, i want them to feel like they are part of a larger organization, at least at first. I want the planetary landing to be particularily harrowing. Eventually i will probably have them promoted to platoon command level, and possibly beyond if the campaign goes on long enough. These are all good ideas though, and exactly what i was looking for. Thanks anon
>>
>>46244182
5) again no man's land, the players need to check some landmark to clear enemy activity and control it for the Imperium, maybe to act as a staging point for a new operation or an obserbation point to direct supporting fire from.

6) crawling through the mud, they need to get as close as possible to a position that will allow them to get a clear view of the enemy trenches and then snipe away at opportunity targets, in the form of officers, ammo/fuel that's being distributed or whatever

7) the offensive is about to start, their mission is to escort an artillery officer and protect him from snipers and enemy patrols until he gets to a nice position to rain hell from

8) the assault is going strong, artillery is falling and tanks are rolling, one of these mobile fortresses will be unleashing hell on enemy bunkers to force a breach open but first it will need protection from enemy AT fire, ambushers waiting in no man's land and assorted mines that need to be cleared. Combined arms is the way to win and both them and the tank's crew will need to work together, bonus points if they'll have to coordinate their actions with the tank commander through a phone or an open hatch

9) a breach has been forced and imperial troops are pouring inside enemy lines to do as much damage as possible, the squad will be part of the spearhead and will have to fight against the best the enemy has left

10) the enemy has been scattered, now the mission is to entrench as quickly as possible while clearing stragglers/more determined enemies hiding in wait for a chance to hurt the Imperium, and then wait for the inevitable counter attack

Then you can basically rinse and repeat if your campaign will be that long, change encounters and objectives as needed.
>>
>>46244432
I really like 7 8 and 9, i will be stealing all of these amazing ideas
>>
Question: has there ever been a Space Marine chapter created using gene-seed taken from two different chapters?
>>
>>46244338
Then constantly remind them that everything around them is hell: mud, blood, artillery fire, screams for help suddenly cut short by a quick burst or drowned in an explosion. If they're hiding in a crater, the crater besides them could contain anything, from an enemy squad to some helpful allies, or just a mine that will blow them up regardless of who placed it. Through the smoke and fire that cloud the vision and make every sound distant and alien, their only certainty is that the primer says "when in doubt, advance". Narration is the key, gameplay will be used to press the points you make, so arrange encounters accordingly and be flexible if they don't have definite intel, and remember that in war shit goes wrong all the time, so if something bad happens to screw up their plans but the players are still having fun tackling the new problems you're not being That GM for saying that the artillery cover they were counting on is not avaiable anymore or something like that.

And definitely look into Formations rules if you plan on keeping the scale up, they make everything much more quick.
>>
>>46244644
is it just something in the core rules? Perhaps in the "running the game" section?
>>
>>46216684
So my group wants to do a full Adeptus Arbites campaign but I'm having trouble thinking of things to have them do aside from cliché Judge Dredd/Robocop knock offs which they would immediately realize.

So you guys have any ideas?
>>
>>46244612
A lot of later foundings are based on combining the better aspects of different geneseed into one property.
>>
>>46244683
They are seconded to the Inquisition, investigating ritual murders thought to be the work of cultists in the middle hive.
>>
>>46244679
Formation rules are in the Enemies of the Imperium splat, I'd suggest at least getting a PDF and take a look. I'd dare to suggest that you may just use them as a guideline so you can handle the action in the backdrop, like some enemy squads shooting at an Imperial squad that's not the PCs' own, while you can keep the focused action directly involving the PCs as usual (or using the actual formations rules, obviously). That said, the Core book does contain some rules for massed battles, sadly the splat dedicated to bigger operations and making the players advance through the ranks never came, you'll have to manage that yourself.
>>
What's the best way to go about a gumshoe arbitrator in DH2e? I'm trying to avoid the seeker role, but it seems to be the only way to do it with something approaching competence.
>>
>>46246157
Why would you avoid the Seeker role? It's pretty much what you're looking for
>>
File: The Emperor's tarot harlequin.jpg (594 KB, 520x1000) Image search: [Google]
The Emperor's tarot harlequin.jpg
594 KB, 520x1000
I've thought of having a character in RT or DH use tarot to guide some of their decisioins. I know that only a high end RT PC would actually have The Emperor's Tarrot, BUt i think it'd be an interesting part of the Role Play. I could even get a cheap deck and guide book to do it at the table, if I get fast enough.

Any thoughts?
>>
>>46246368
There are like 2 or 3 in the warband already. Not trying to step on toes.
I had thought about Desperado to better show a beat cop kind of ideal.
>>
>>46246451
A set of The Emperor's Tarot is basic starting gear for almost all Sanctioned Psykers in DH1e. It's a dirt cheap purchase. The method most use for their Psynescience skill.
>>
>>46244736
So a White Scars successor via the Mantis Warriors who mixed in a bit of Raven Guard (via the Death Spectre) wouldn't be out of the question? Excellent. And I'd expect them to be ruthless, sneaky bastards
>>
File: bloodborne-11-20-14-3[1].jpg (324 KB, 1920x727) Image search: [Google]
bloodborne-11-20-14-3[1].jpg
324 KB, 1920x727
So would this just be a groxwhip/sword combination? With say a half action to switch?
>>
So I'm trying to make a melee oriented SoB for this Dark Heresy game I'll be playing and I'm starting with 3000XP to spend, the other players are an assassin and a techpriest and the DM said I may or not be getting battlesisters to serve under me at a later time.

What would be some good skills/talents for a melee focused sisters who may or not be able to fill her ranged shortcoming with multiple PC's later
>>
>>46246717
While I did not know it was common enough for those schmucks to get their hands on them, I want to use it on the table for RP decisions. Do you think that would get in the way? I'd be playing as a holy man who is constantly searching for the emp's will in events around him
>>
>>46247358
Yeah. I don't see why not. Psyker, priest, random religious nut ball of any particular career? No reason not too.
>>
>>46247184
u playing a chick dude? hahaha so gay
>>
File: Oh my.gif (2 MB, 220x190) Image search: [Google]
Oh my.gif
2 MB, 220x190
>>46247818
Now, I know you're trolling, but..
>>
Ok, since in OW advanced specialties for storm troopers, commissars and psykers are lacking, I was thinking of getting something up myself, but what roles would be best suited for the classes?

I was thinking something along the lines of brawler/inspirational leader/political animal for the commissar and tank, tactical officer/weapon jockey for the storm trooper, so that they both follow some of the lines traced for their base class, but I have no idea what the psyker could branch into. Any thoughts?
>>
How many ways are there to start with a psy rating in dh2e?
>>
>>46248593
Exactly 3. Gaining the Psyker Elite advance (whether through xp or the Mystic Role), the Dark Pact of Power or rolling the Witch-Curse mutation.
>>
>>46247184
Do not neglect Command and other leadership based skills/talents.
Things like double-team, Frenzy line, Unarmed Specialist (having 1 person grapple a fucker then having the rest beat on him is a primo way to beat down people that should be too tough to take on in CC, like Spawn/CSM).
Webbers is an exotic that I feel is criminally underused, considering how incredibly potent Snare is. The flail from EWithin is godly, and depending on your BS, the bola is stupid good. Can't count how many times I hit someone with a bola, then charged in while they were trying to free themselves to beat face.
>>
Two of my players somehow independently ended up rolling Space Mengele and a Space Aryan, as well as a Predator.
>>
File: DH 2 Random Chargen Weighted.png (639 KB, 2474x948) Image search: [Google]
DH 2 Random Chargen Weighted.png
639 KB, 2474x948
The lack of random character generation in Dark Heresy II is a bit annoying, so I made a weighted table.

Don't let anyone tell you /tg/ no longer gets shit done.
>>
>>46249307
Explain.
>>46249353
Engine Heart alone disproves that, as well as a host of other projects that have borne some fruit.
>>
>>46249926
The first is a Voidborn Navy Chirurgeon who enjoys enhanced interrogation a bit too much, with the dream of understanding the human body fully.
The second is a Highborn RT Desperado, who has fair skin, blonde hair, blue eyes, as well as the Homeworld Quirk that makes him look down on lowborns.
The third is a Voidborn AdMech Seeker who spent all his starting acquisitions on cybernetics.
>>
>>46249926

Engine Heart was three years ago, mate.
>>
>>46250154
Sweet, more like this?
>>
>>46250154
What about it, m8?
It is a clear example of /tg/ getting shit done.
>>
>>46250255
I believe the crux of the issue here is that people think tg doesn't get shit done ANYMORE
>>
>>46250255

Any time /tg/ "gets shit done" it's riding off the coattails of autists who did the actual work off /tg/. /tg/ as a whole has never completed a project, and has a dim view of homebrew.
>>
>>46250493
/tg/ is too many people with too many differing tastes to singlehandedly do it from start to finish.
Doesn't mean a lot of input doesn't happen, or contributions not made.
>>
>>46250832
This is true. I worked on a tg fan project called the Hektor Heresy doing some minor writefag stuff about an imperial army regiment during the great crusade. However the stronger personalities in the group began to argue about stuff and we ended up doing more fighting than collaborating. Shit just falls apart
>>
>>46246451
https://community.fantasyflightgames.com/topic/130412-custom-made-imperial-tarot-deck/
>>
Can I take 2 single shots with 1 ranged weapon in a turn? That's 2 half actions isn't it?
>>
>>46251243

How many of these 'stronger personalities' were people who wrote shit for their primarchs?
>>
>>46252018
>Can I take 2 single shots with 1 ranged weapon in a turn?
No.
>>
>>46252018
Unless if you have a talent/piece of gear/psychic power/ etc that allows it, no.
>>
>>46252025
Pretty much all of them. Most of those involved wrote a legion or two at some point. I just wanted to write some gritty band of brothers style space action which was why the project appealed to me. The Carlisian Shock Trooper Regiment was my brainchild, and i eventually stole some of those ideas for my first Only War game

>>46252018
Pretty sure you can only take one action of the attack subtype every turn
>>
What would be some ways to make a Tau Rogue Trader character interesting? I've been doing research on Tau society, and from what I can tell, there isn't a lot of individuality or personality allowed.
>>
>>46252018
I think exact wording varies between the different books, but theres always a clause saying you can't use the same half action twice in a round, or two actions with the attack subtype, or something else to that effect. So no.
>>
>>46252150
Play up the major differences between Tau and Imperial society that leads to that comparative lack of individuality. You're born and raised in a strict caste system, so you'd considering fulfilling your assigned role without any question, dreaming of having a different life would be an alien concept. Selfishness and a desire for personal gain is also going to be an alien concept to someone who's had the greater good drilled into their head since birth, and something that's likely to be the primary motivating factor to a large number, if not all, of the humans you'll be dealing with. Stuff like that.
>>
File: tau10.jpg (29 KB, 320x320) Image search: [Google]
tau10.jpg
29 KB, 320x320
>>46252150

Foreign corespondent. You're writing articles for the little blueberries at home. Your Rogue Trader permits this provided the Imperium (and his dynasty) are portrayed in a positive (or at least neutral) light.
>>
File: latest.png (435 KB, 588x876) Image search: [Google]
latest.png
435 KB, 588x876
>>46252401
When I was reading that I was like, "Huh, that sounds kinda like Sten or Iron Bull from Dragon Age." when I realized that the Qunari are pretty much Tau if they had the physiques of Orks. Not sure how I didn't notice that until just now.
>>
I'm a new DM and I need to make an enemy for my group of 5 DW space marines. I want to make a chaos space marine sorceror or a heretic sorceror that is sort of tough but not super difficult. I have very little experience with magic in the Deathwatch or DarkHeresy engines.

Can someone make a list of spells that would be easy to use and not too powerful? Sort of like a generic, run of the mill magical enemy for my players to fight as a side-boss.
>>
>>46252018
Barring rules stating conditions otherwise, you can't perform more than a single attack per turn.
>>
>>46252906
What alignment do you want him to be? Nurgle, Tzeentch, Slaanesh, Unaligned, or Chaos Undivided?
>>
>>46252982
Tzeench would fit the story the most, but I want spells that do damage and maybe apply negative modifiers to the target's BS skill or something. But nothing more complicated than that please.
>>
>>46253025
So basically you want a Psyker who's going to be ganked and killed in 2 seconds flat?
>>
>>46253025
Really any Psyker can be fluffed to use abilities that do things like that.
Tzeentch could make people see things that aren't real, clouds of flies could block Line of sight for Nurgle and Slaanesh would prove that it's hard to line up a shot when the air is as thick as maple syrup.

Pick a god and we can help you.
>>
>>46253107
I don't want it to be that easy. He can be guarded by a horde of heretics and maybe a CSM or two while he sits back and throws generic damage dealing spells at the party of 5.

My group has 5 lvl1 space marines, they are almost lvl2. My biggest worry is wiping them so early.

>>46253171
Then I'll pick Tzeentch.
>>
File: Rooty Tooty Psychic Shooty.png (764 KB, 698x844) Image search: [Google]
Rooty Tooty Psychic Shooty.png
764 KB, 698x844
>>46253201
The term is "Rank"

Here are some basic damaging psychic powers from Black Crusade. Nothing too fancy.

If you want to use Tzeentchian powers, they're mostly about deception, mental manipulaion, evasion or psychic scourging/draining.
>>
>>46253025
I would recommend some of the following:

Flicker
Half Action
Focus: -10 WP Test
Range: Self
Sustained: Free Action

The Sorcerer creates a shimmering field of unreality around him, his image becoming transparent and intermittent as he fl ickers between reality and the warp. In this manner, he may step through solid objects as if they were air, and the blows of the enemy pass through him as if he were nothing more than a holographic image.
For as long as this power remains in effect, the Sorcerer gains the Incorporeal Trait and counts his Agility Bonus as equal to the Sorcerer’s Psy Rating for the purposes of determining how far he may move,
and he may move as easily vertically as horizontally. While in this state, the Sorcerer cannot cross psychically charged barriers, holy wards or energy wards designed to bend reality or manipulate the warp, such as a Gellar Field or Void Shield.

Doombolt
Half Action
Focus: +0 WP Test
Range: 20mxPsy Rating
Sustained: No

Known by a variety of names, the Doombolt is a common destructive power utilized by a great many Chaos magos to strike down their foes. Formed from the coalesced spite and loathing of the Sorcerer, they are corrosive bolts of dark energy, raining down like black hail upon the enemy. As the Sorcerer conjures these bitter projectiles with clenched fists, he fills the air with the stench of brimstone and the booming roar of daemons for the brief moment of the power’s manifestation.
Doombolt is a Psychic Barrage that deals 1d10+ Psy Rating Energy Damage with a Pen of 8.

The idea here is that the sorcerer casts his Flicker so the marines have trouble hitting him, and then begins hurling doombolts at them. I would recommend coupling him with some low-tier minions to soak up fire and keep the marines distracted for those crucial turns when the sorcerer drops the Flicker to throw Doombolts or other offensive powers.
>>
>>46252906
>>46253201
A good place to start would be the CSM sorcerer on page 113 of Mark of the Xeno. It's got a decent set of stats and talents that will let him pose a decent threat to a low level party, provided he's got enough support to not not just have all five of them beating on him every round, but is unlikely to wipe them unless they're idiots. Give him a Mark of Chaos if you want to give him some sort of stat buff, and pick a few powers for him, either from the sorcery power also in MoX or telepethy/divination powers from core, two or three should do it. Winds of Chaos or Doombolt are good generic damage powers, while Warptime and Possibility Shield are good buff effects for him or his allies. There aren't actually many decent debuff powers though, so if you're set on that idea you might aswell make something up you feel is appropriate.
>>
>>46253303
>>46253537
>>46253599
Thanks folks. A lot more help than I was expecting
>>
>>46252150
Remember that Tau can and do have individual personalities, they're just encouraged to be hyper-conformist at home. I remember a fluff piece from the first Tau book where a water caste gets shit faced while talking to one of his rogue trader buddies, and basically starts spilling the beans on everything that's wrong with Tau society and how he's terrified that any day the Fire Caste will seize power and turn everything towards endless war. Maybe play around with that?
You're experiencing freedom for the first time in your life, finding out how big the galaxy is, and what the good and the bad of the Tau is from the outside.
>>
>>46216684
So our party has just snuck into the great hall of the golden throne, in the depths of the imperial palace. I have no idea why, I barely understand how, and certainly don't know when our GM decided to allow this to happen. If we aren't killed soon, we might actually reach the emperor.
>>
>>46256449
now wanting to samefag but I'm excited as shit about this, because we brought some very old eldar artefacts with us.
>>
>>46256449
It is actually impossible to do that unless if the custodes just let you think you snuck into the place not to mention the psykers around who would have also sensed your presence.
>>
File: 1374160256022.jpg (25 KB, 456x330) Image search: [Google]
1374160256022.jpg
25 KB, 456x330
>>46256449
Sounds about right.
>>
>>46256567
>>46256601
That's the strange part. GM has not been forthcoming. At first we thought he was preparing some TPK because some sessions had gone haywire, but he seems in good mood. So far it's been a really quiet but creepy journey through the imperial palace, like in blame! if anyone has read that shit.
>>
>>46256641
Sweat so hard you can use it as ammo for an autogun.
>>
>>46248246
Specializations of psychic disciplines? Offensive or defensive specialties?
>>
>>46256641
you guys are dead. Or maybe those eldar artefacts you are carrying are text-to-speech devices, in which case, i don't even.
>>
>>46256641

Your GM is going to have the Custodes execute you without you even realizing.

If he doesn't, your story is fanwank and we don't want to hear about it.
>>
>>46256842
I hope not
>>46256925
fanwank is bad, true, but if it really is TPK I feel its a bit too much. I mean the DM would have had to supress his emotions for quite a while and then plan this through many sessions just to get revenge for something which should be forgotten. I don't know what will happen, but I'd rather have it all be some grand illusion of the warp than TPK.
>>
File: 1452375692765.jpg (225 KB, 1024x945) Image search: [Google]
1452375692765.jpg
225 KB, 1024x945
>>46256925

All stories are fanwank.

Some stories are /stupid/ fanwank.
>>
>>46257036
>Magic 8 ball, tell me what I should do
>Oh for fucks sake
>>
>>46256925
>>46257036
meh why care? it's not like those guys will have any effect on anything. Let them believe they saved the emperor or killed him, whatever. What's interesting is how one could take it from there. Certainly GW doesn't know, as they are incapable of advancing lore meaningfully.
>>
Haven't played Dark Heresy in a while and wanted to start up a game for some friends, which version, 1.0 or 2.0, should I run?
>>
>>46258147
Primary objections to 2e are aptitudes replacing careers, allowing PCs to hyper-specialise from the 1st session, and giving you a stupidly high chance of failure in the most mundane of purchases.

Primary strengths of 2e are the consilidation of skills (if you like that sort of thing), the "balancing" of the combat system, the evolution of talents, the massively decreased risk inherent in psychic powers and the inclusion of vehicle rules.

Personally I would stick with 1e, I enjoy it a lot more and I don't have to ask my players not to go for Tech-Use +20 in the second session. Plus sequestering certain options into alternate ranks wth their own fluff and allied factions is a lot more fun to me than permitting everyone to buy Jaded immediately, avoiding the entire horror element except when facing Warp Horrors.
>>
>>46258333

Thanks! Will probably stick with DH 1e then
>>
>>46258333
That's less of a problem with the system and more of a problem with munchkins.

Also Psychic risk is basically the same between the two versions, and there doesn't need to be quotes around balancing.
>>
>>46258401
>more of a problem with munchkins
A system that doesn't offer some barricade to munchkinsmin-maxing the shit out of it is a shitty system.
It's like putting a flamethrower in front of a party of pyromaniac tree-haters and asking them nicely not to touch it.
The social contract falls apart when the GM has to fiat everyone away from munchkinning, and sours the group relationship.

>Psychic risk is basically the same between the two versions
For every die you use in a psychic power in 1e, you have a 1/10 chance of triggering psychic phenomenon.
Regardless of your potency (unless Pushing or Fettering) you have a 9/100 chance of triggering psychic phenomenon in 2e.
>>
>>46258547
>A system that doesn't offer some barricade to munchkinsmin-maxing the shit out of it is a shitty system

Thats a fine opinion you have there. One that does a very good job of excusing shitty DMing. I've never had a problem with my group picking anything that would give them a crazy boost, probably because I don't run with a group of Roll-players.
>>
>>46258617
Well not everyone's as lucky as you mate, and I have to deal with rampant muchkinning, everyone selecting every option they can to be the most "efficient" character, and all around trying to game the system.

Which is why 1e's option of Elite Advances are so much better, because it explicitly states you have to work with your GM in order to justify the selection. It's not something they will immediately expect that they can grab without having to beg permission.
>>
File: full heretic.jpg (96 KB, 300x405) Image search: [Google]
full heretic.jpg
96 KB, 300x405
>>46220001
The group's sketchy adept witnessed the psyker's possession in front of at least two dozen enemies. This lead to him getting insanity, the corruption which lead to more insanity which lead to more corruption and it ended up being 60+ for both by the end of it. The session ended with me running the fuck out of there as our greater daemon possessed telekinetic psyker was ripping people's limbs off and crushing their chest cavities in on themselves.

Next session it was myself, the adept and the psyker as a Cleric of Drusus, the sworn enemy of the daemon possessing our Psyker. The adept is constantly mumbling to himself, the cleric is ready to put a bullet into my psyker buddy and I'm trying to save my friend's life. We follow a trail of destruction all the way down to the underhive where we meet a former player's character in a fighting pit with her new title as The Red Queen. When suddenly the daemon flies down and is covered in eyes. The adept makes a power play and goes FULL HERETIC offering himself to the daemon. He gouges out the adept's eyes yet he can still see. It then pokes out one of the eyes on it's body and then one on the Red Queen, all of whom were present during another ritual on Iocanthos. The adept begins drawing a rune to summon his own daemon. The cleric makes a tactical retreat and I'm literally stunlocked with fear and still trying to save my friend from this daemon. When suddenly the summoned one begins incinerating me to the point of me losing everything I owned, except any of my fate points, and my soul growing dark with corruption. With all the eyes gouged the daemon is now free of it's host and with it's new disciple at it's side it began the reign of terror upon Grove's Fall.
>>
>>46256641
I know this sounds like heresy, but kill the emperor and see what happens. Free him from his mortal shell that he may ascend to is true godhood. Either that or you accidentally extinguish the astronomicon and doom the imperium
>>
>>46256641
Kneel, motherfucker, and beg the Emperor himself for guidance.
>>
>>46258333
>a player being 10% better than they were previously with a certain skill after the second session is an issue for some GMs

I do not even.
>>
>>46216684
Current scans up for several of the Rogue Trader books have whited out sidebars.
>>
>>46260471
Shit, in that case, if anyone has a proper pdf, I'll swap it out ASAP. Is anyone else getting this? Best case, anon got unlucky and it corrupted for just him. Let me know. Posting from phone, internet's gone down the shitter again.
>>
>>46260558
It's like that on all the ones I recently downloaded except Edge of the Abyss: the 1.4 updated corebook, Into the Storm, and the standalone 1.4 errata.
>>
>>46260667
Downloading on my phone and transferring it over, let me see what's going on.
>>
>>46260667
What's the earliest sidebar it blanked?
>>
>>46260558
I'm getting some weird-ass corruption going on with RT Koronus Bestiary. Earliest it shows up is page 8.
>>
>>46260730
Right from the very first ones. Page 5 on Into the Storm also has a whited out picture, but I care less about that than I do unreadable sidebars.
>>
>>46260667
OK, on mine it faded the sidebars in the Core Rulebook quite a bit, the box is just there enough to make out the white print, but yeah, the RT stuff seems to be fucked. Are you viewing it in browser or in Adobe?

Hold up, I typed this while Adobe was loading. It displays properly in Adobe Reader. If you're viewing it in Chrome or something, that might be the issue. Looks like maybe the hyperlinking is corrupting the whole thing in-browser.
>>
>>46260829
I'm using Foxit Reader, so that could be it. I don't use Adobe.
>>
File: screenshot.26.jpg (641 KB, 705x911) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.26.jpg
641 KB, 705x911
>>46260844
This is what page 15 of the core rulebook looks like in Adobe.
>>
File: screenshot.27.jpg (472 KB, 603x786) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.27.jpg
472 KB, 603x786
>>46260893
And this is what it looks like in Chrome.
>>
>>46260908
My internet is back up to speed temporarily, I'm gonna DL Foxit to test. It might be an encoding issue.
>>
File: RogueTraderShip.jpg (97 KB, 972x445) Image search: [Google]
RogueTraderShip.jpg
97 KB, 972x445
I was thinking about running a Rogue Trader campaign and am looking for advice about ideas/the setting. I'm pretty new at GMing so let me know if my plan is crap or what I can do to improve.

Essentially, the players, by one means or another (after already establishing themselves in the sector), hear or about an amazing cache of archeotech. Assuming they'll go looking for it, they'll eventually end up in a race for it against other factions like the Eldar, Necrons, Chaos, Ad-Mech, etc...

The essential reason everyone is looking for this is that way back when, at the tail end of the Dark age of Technology in the 25th millennium, there was a lot of tension between the "Federation" of Mankind and the soon to fall Eldar. The humans had a ship/station/whatever that was trying to research how to neutralize Eldar Warp/farseer powers in the event of a war. They were doing this, in part, by analyzing Necron tech, since they knew Crons had fought Eldar before (with their Chrono tech stuff), and Necron known anti-warp capabilities. So...research is going on when an Eldar Craftworld (they were smaller at this time), comes by fleeing the impending fall of the Homeworlds. They get trapped in the same system due to Warp storms, a standoff ensues, and eventually try to escape, with unfortunate results. Warp shenanigans ensue and 15 thousand years later out pops an Eldar-DAoT space hulk.

Ideally, the facts about the past would slowly be revealed to the players as they uncovered data slates, old tech, and otherwise retraced the steps of these old events. I'm purposefully leaving it open ended what I want the players to do or who they'll "fight" against based on how earlier parts of the campaign develop. Ideally, they'll be searching ancient ruins, recovering artifacts, blackmailing or stealing from officials, and fending off rivals before the final showdown that could either go incredibly well, or incredibly poorly.

Thoughts?
>>
File: Screenshot (6).png (862 KB, 1600x900) Image search: [Google]
Screenshot (6).png
862 KB, 1600x900
>>46260908
That's actually better than what I get in Foxit, hilariously.
>>
>>46261008
Even in Foxit its not that bad for me, but its definitely an encoding issue, there's not much I can do unless I can get a different copy.
>>
>>46260996
Sounds good.
I usually do stuff on a smaller scale, but if you think you can manage it, all power to you.
>>
>>46261046
Thanks for checking it out though, much appreciated. Wish I had a second copy to give.
>>
File: Character Sheet.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Character Sheet.pdf
1 B, 486x500
So I went and made my Sister of Battle, and decided against the melee build and will probably just go for the standard flamer build unless I can figure out a better way to build a melee sister. But this is what I have for now
>>
>>46261082
Well, I'm kinda new so I may start out at small scale and move up if people seem to be enjoying the game. Out of curiosity, what have you found works best for you?
>>
>>46261181
Nothing. I've run like 7 games and they've all died like 6 sessions in from a mixture of player scheduling, a lack of player direction, University, or my reluctance to drag the players out of TPKs.
>>
>>46261093
Added a text file to the RT directory explaining so people know what's going on.
>>
>>46261278
Hope you get some bites on updated files, dude.
>>
Has anyone ever used a vigilante storyline?

Like, some guy going around, slaughtering gangers as efficiently as most DH parties do, not associated with Death Cults, heretic covens, or the like. I'm considering making a side plot where the party runs into him in the course of an investigation, maybe they work together, maybe there's a miscommunication and they fight, maybe he inconveniently kills the people the party was looking to interrogate, setting them back and pissing them off enough to drop the investigation to find the guy.
>>
Do any of the Deathwatch books have gear that would be applicable to a DH or RT game?
>>
>>46262433
Generally not.
>>
>>46262433
Unless a player is being one of those assholes who play a GK in DH, or a PC has mutated far past what could be passed off in the Imperium, no, there is little in DW that an unaugmented, pure human could even fire without doing considerable damage to themselves, let alone use regularly.

Anything that could be is already in the armouries of other systems, like Digital Weapons.
>>
>>46262433

Well, if you go by DH2e there are human-scale versions of basically all those weapons.

My DH2e Sister (Famulous, not Battle) would desperately love to get her hands on an Incinerator.
>>
>>46262483
And on the topic of Digital Weapons, can someone please explain why the fuck the height of concealable weaponry was put into a game featuring Space Marines, Space Marines, and more fucking Space Marines? What purpose could they serve? If the players want to play an intrigue and stealth campaign, they should switch fucking systems.
>>
>>46262509
Its in Enemies Beyond now.
>>
>>46262509
Look in Enemies Beyond.
>>
>>46262511
Kill Marines, and those outlier groups that don't want every mission to be "go to x, kill y".
>>
>>46262511

Generally? Cheating your ass off in a duel.

You get a melta or plasma one and cheapshot a guy.

>>46262519
>>46262531

Oh, I know. That was my point. Enemies Beyond has human-scale ones.

The Sister I'm playing just needs to call in favors/stop being chased by creepy plant pod people long enough to get one.

She's REALLY wishing she'd had more than a Hand Flamer on hand now that it turns out that there are plant men infiltrating the planet.
>>
>>46262511
For extra firepower on your fingers?
>>
>>46262542
Good point.

>>46262544
Are you insinuating that your Holy Bolter is insufficient? Traitor.
>>
>>46262542
Bet you wish you got some anti-plant grenades now. Could go for firebombs though since they're plentiful.
>>
>>46262554
Because it is very satisfying to kill a hive tyrant with by flipping it the bird while said gesture fires a digimelta in it's face.
>>
>>46262555
Personally, firebombs are one of those things that at most, I just require the components an INT test for my players to make them, to make sure they don't go full retard and burn their hands off.

There are few weapons simpler than a molotov. Most of them involving rocks.
>>
>>46262555

Yep, the one time in 40k when Anti-Plant grenades are not a pointless entry in the grenade table.

Though I'm not sure I'd trust a BS25 woman with a fire bomb.

We were sent to find out what was going on with a planet that was experiencing a lot of Virgin Births.

Turns out the local (Sentient) plants were causing people to get pregnant with half-man, half-plant hybrids in an attempt to make a pod-people force to drive the imperium off the world before they killed all the native plant life.

Then the plant people told us we were 'Going to meet the earth father'. Turns out they meant 'Our leader wants to talk'. We heard it as 'We are going to kill you now' and both Sisters (One Battle, one Famulous) quickdrew Flamer Pistols on the group.

That was a very fast battle but there are a lot more and we are half out of ammo. Also the local noble's mansion is on fire. Due to...reasons.
>>
>>46262859
Scatter isn't too bad since it is only a 1d5 for meters it goes off target meaning 3/5 times the thing you're throwing a grenade at will still be in the blast radius.
>>
>>46216898
>>46217043
Stay close to the navigator.
Blame him instead if shit goes wrong.

Goes with the thread theme of "stupid shit I did and somehow survived"
Navigator kept saying it wasn't him and we still needed him to get us back home.
>>
>>46256713
I guess that would be a way to go, but that would probably mean coming up with a bunch of new powers tied to specialties, or at least taking some of them from other lines to have more variety.
>>
>>46262511
Motherfucking Tycho had them, why wouldn't you?

More seriously, they're added firepower and along with acid spit can make you even more dangerous when you're in a situation where you'd have no weapons on yourself, like in case of an incursion or something going wrong during a political intercourse. Fuck, I'd kill to have a DW team going around using their political weight to hold together a crusade where every faction tries to come out on top at the expense of the campaign's own goals.
>>
>>46264265
>I'd kill to have a DW team going around using their political weight to hold together a crusade where every faction tries to come out on top at the expense of the campaign's own goals.

Which is entirely possible to do in the Jericho Sector, I might add.
>>
>>46264539
Jericho Reach, rather.
>>
>>46264539
Personally I'd do it with my own little piece of space I've made up for our games, but the problem is more in finding a group that would be willing to tone the killing down while playing as the deathwatch. I'll talk to my players about this.
>>
>>46258333
Anon, don't offer advice if you are gonna fucking blatantly edition war, this isn't D&D and we don't need your kind in these threads.
>>
>>46261100
>flamer build
>ridiculously high BS
>garbage perception/fellowship
Dude, what?
>>
>>46262189
That's basically something near to a spyrer.
>>
>>46265021
To be quite honest with you
This is only the 2nd character I have made so quite frankly I have no idea what I am doing. This is all still new to me
>>
Newest Heavy Metal Chivalry storytime is go, check it out, everyone.
>>46264682
>>
If someone wanted to use an ork in tabletop, say call him a Cunnin' Mork type willing to work with grots for new experiences an' fightin'.

What sort of system would it use for leveling up? What would Orky psyker abilities be like?
>>
>>46265063
Alright, so review this.
Don't take weapon training you will not use.
Do you plan on using muskets? Bows/crossbows? No? Then drop Basic Primitive training. The same goes for Las, althought you may want to pick up SP instead.
Heavy Weapon Flame is useless unless you know you will be getting a heavy flamer at some point, which requires bulging biceps to wield.
Get awareness and bump perception. Don't argue.
Look at bumping willpower and fellowship, along with picking up command and inquiry/charm. Unless you know your game is all fighting, all the time, you are seriously neglecting the investigating part of being an acolyte. Remember, you are an agent, not a soldier, and you need to be able to do more than kill things, because outnumbered = you lose, no matter how good you are.
Your BS is needlessly high if you are going hard on flame weapons, and something like an autopistol/gun will suffice entirely until you know you can get a bolter and get away with it.
>>
>>46264987
Please be trolling.
>>
>>46265473
>post is clearly weighted toward personal opinion
>poster comes out and blatantly states they prefer one system to another, and their post reflects it
Yeah, naw, fuck you. Keep that kind of cancer out of these threads.
>>
Is there any reason to use a long las over a sniper rifle?
>>
File: Tallarn Rogue Trader.png (4 MB, 990x1400) Image search: [Google]
Tallarn Rogue Trader.png
4 MB, 990x1400
>>46260996
So, here's my two thrones: Your idea is good, but remember that Rogue Trader is at its best when it's freeform. There are very, very few rpgs that start the players out with such a huge level of freedom and authority, so be prepared to work with your players and react to what they think would be fun.
RT is really best done as a sandbox game, so sure, have the Eldar-Hulk as the main mcguffin and the thing that every Rogue worth his salt wants to get his hands on, but remember to flesh out the sector and have lots of weird/interesting planets to visit along the way. Personally, I'd jot down a few details on a dozen or so planets/systems, and put one piece of info related to the McGuffin in each one. This way, if your players get really excited about visiting Planet X that you hadn't prepared much for, you can still steer things towards the main plot.
I had a great deal of fun playing RT, but I remember being extremely annoyed when the GM ran us through one of the pregen games and you're basically forced at gunpoint to help out a Naval cruiser. The game was supposed to be about the promise of freedom and high adventure beyond the fringes of the Imperium, and instead I wound up doing the Navy's dirty work yet again. It was still fun, but I was annoyed that we couldn't jaunt off and do wild stuff of our own accord.
>>
>>46265730
Hotshot packs
Felling
>>
2 questions: can you use a Hot-Shot lasgun pack with a Dueling Pistol to create a laspistol with a Pen of 8?

And would it be disgustingly cheap to attach such a pistol to a suit of Black Crusade power armor with the Tampered Power Supply property to get an infinite-ammo dueling pistol?
>>
>>46267006
No, because DH1e/RT/BC, pen is not additive.
OW/DH2e, pen is only additive in a few situations.
As per hot-shot pack:
>A weapon using a hot-shot charge adds 1 to its damage,
gains the Tearing quality, and gains a penetration of 4
Your pen increases to 4, and has nothing that says it adds to existing pen, unlike manstoppers, which is:
>Man-stopper bullets add 3 to the weapon’s penetration
So, yeah, in theory, nice, reality, no dice.
>>
Alright, I'm gonna ask this.
Why does everyone use the pcs competence as a knock against DH2e? I mean, being decent at the thing that was your primary job before you were seconded to the Inquisition is not a bad thing, and people that actually read the book and understand the modus would realize that over specializing is monumentally crippling to a warband.
>and lets be straight, the only overspecializing you shit tier gms are worried about is combat because Emperor forbid the death cultist or guardsman is better than a conscript
A character that will actually make it needs a primary, secondary, and at least 3 tertiary skill sets, otherwise they will be use 50% of the time in a game where you are supposed to be Foxhound/007 types.
My current character is primarily CC/Melee, secondary sneaky, tertiary survivalist/forward observer/muscle man. I'm branching off into security for B&E ops, as well as tech use for demolitions.
The last 3 came about as a matter of necessity, taking my skill set to the next level to offer more to the warband or support others at what they do. But everyone can offer something at almost all points.
>>
>>46267584
I think the issue is that the aptitudes are unevenly divided between the roles. While you're absolutely right that overspecialisation is crippling, aptitudes make overspecialising very easy and you're encouraged to do it. If I'm playing a Warrior Guardsman I'd think;
"Well, my forte is warrioring, I think I'll go for big guns. Get myself some sort of cannon. But when cannon isn't always the answer, what else could I do?" and you tend to find you come up a little short on alternatives. You might be able to be the driver pre-EWo, but ultimately you find that the only option that means you progress at a somewhat steady rate is to keep buying up talents to up your shooty and bump up shooting stats, otherwise you're saving up hundreds of XP to become as efficient at a job as one of the other players.

>inb4 edition war
I like DH2, I just think it needs polish that FFG couldn't or wouldn't give it. DH2.5 pls
>>
>>46267765
>you tend to find you come up a little short on alternatives
>that the only option that means you progress at a somewhat steady rate is to keep buying up talents to up your shooty and bump up shooting stats, otherwise you're saving up hundreds of XP to become as efficient at a job as one of the other players.
This is assuming it's not worth it to capitalize on your attributes. I have none of the attributes for Tech-use, but it's a powerful skill well worth the xp (2 sessions worth) for the demolitions alone.
Peer is a massive boon of a talent most characters will have to pay out the nose for, but is it not worthwhile?
For myself, it's about playing the long game, picking up the skills that will most benefit myself and the warband. Being the best shot doesn't help you in negotiations with xenos, being the biggest mouth in the hive won't help you survive in the wastes, and being the best tracker this side of the Jericho Reach won't save you in a pitched firefight. Further, it is, imo from many years of gaming/gming, the height of foolishness to assume that just because another member of the group is good at something that they are at your beck and call, and will, despite all circumstances, be exactly where you need them to be to do for you what you decided to not bother learning yourself.
Now, obviously it's my opinion, but hedging yourself into a corner and salving yourself with the thought that someone else can do it is an easy way to find yourself fucked. It's happened in my 40k games, it's happening in my game right now, (never leaving the eggheads alone again, my fuck up), and it will happen in many games. The only question is how badly will it go.
To your end, I will freely admit that some aptitudes are too fucking rare (finesse/leadership/knowledge/tech use) for how much they come up or have in setting implications. Every chaarcter should have another aptitude total, maybe 2.
>>
>>46265836
Sounds like solid advice. Thanks. I'll make sure there's a lot of different branches and freedom for the players. I've heard plenty of horror stories about railroading and I definitely don't want to do that especially in such an open game.
>>
>>46262859
I love it when players talk about my games. Makes me aware of what you see from your angle.
>>
>>46265195
Well my DM is allowing me to start with sisters power armor which allow me to shoot heavy weapons with bracing so I wasn't even worried about that, our DM is pretty new so everything is pretty lax and straight forward since we're all learning the rules as we go so none of us are to worried about exact rules. We are reading the rules mind you but we're learning as we play
>>
>>46265124
Rogue Trader has rules for ork player characters, including weirdboyz.
>>
File: ss (2016-03-26 at 09.52.11).jpg (64 KB, 396x291) Image search: [Google]
ss (2016-03-26 at 09.52.11).jpg
64 KB, 396x291
What threat level would you give to these dudes? I'm thinking of 9-10.

Also how satisfied are you guys with the threat system in general?
>>
>>46270887
Is threat supposed to be like challenge rating? I find that due to the general diversity of RPGs in general these are almost never useful as anything more than a very general guideline
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 46

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.