[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>go to modern FNM >total casual >it'll be fun
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11
File: image.png (135 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
image.png
135 KB, 223x310
>go to modern FNM
>total casual
>it'll be fun
>I might get some cheezy winz
>my friend group keeps it casual and we have a rule that net decking is autistic
>my deck is just mana elves, terra stompers, gaea's revenges, hornet queens
>2 howls of the night pack
>fogs and golgari decoys for flashy nuclear finishes

Aside from one casual like me playing slivers, everyone was pretty meta. One burn one artifacts rest were Eldrazi. Miraculously I made it to the final match.

>tubby guy but otherwise hygenic
>he's a friendly guy we have good banter
>he's literally wearing a fedora
>tips it and says m'lady you can go first when he wins the coin toss
>I chuckle
>he is playing eldrazi
>shitstomps me first game
>second game he doesn't draw enough lands
>I beat him up with a terra stomper and Gaea's revenge
>third game we both draw pretty well
>he amasses an incredible eldrazi army
>neither of us attack very much
>I have 3 terra stompers ou
>his eldrazi are getting stronger and stronger though
>he does the math that he can kill me if he swings all in
>boger face
>fog
>attack with 3 stompers for the match

Tubby was pretty chill. He tipped his fedora ironically and said GG. But a few regulars at the store were giving me the stinkeye. I heard one of them whisper "annoying retard" while looking at me.

---

IT AINT YUGIOH
IT AINT YUGIOH
IT AINT YUGIOH
>>
IT
>>
AINT
>>
File: Things that never happened.gif (9 KB, 400x300) Image search: [Google]
Things that never happened.gif
9 KB, 400x300
>>
Cute combo
>>
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 500x406) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 500x406
>>46215809
POTATO

Lolol combo breaker. 4chan is so random. I am like trolling or SOMETHING lmao.
>>
>>46215827
San Francisco last Friday.

I realize my deck sucks but luck is a real part of the game..
>>
fog's good in creatures the tappening

modern sucks tho
>>
>>46216162
Do you mean final match as in for first place? Because I really don't see how the deck would beat even tier 2 meta decks.
>>
>go to my first modern tourney at a local LGS
>people are pretty cool, decks aren't super meta aka no eldrazi
>went against delver, infect, naya
>get rekt by naya game 1 because of t2 4/5 goyf
>fuck goyf
>rek game 2 because of bloodghasts
>get rekt game 3 because of nacatl
>end up going 3-1 and get second place, only drop 2 games
>get a gideon and a kozilek out of my packs
>whole time i'm wearing my fraternity letters to show dominance

fuckin nerds

modern isn't that bad
>>
>>46215700
Reminds me of rtr standard when rakdos zombies was everywhere, I took down fbm with a shitty budget br aggro, in the finals I played against zombies and my opponent threw his fucking deck all over the table and stormed off.
>>
>>46216629

How does it feel that you had to buy your friends?

I don't mean this as the autistic "hur dur he's a dumb frat guy" I mean it legitimately

Like I hang out with the frat guys all the time, go to their parties and shit but I could never imagine joining them, it's literally just people who where so afraid they couldnt make friends or get women that they paid top dollar for it

On a side note I approve of people who aren't fat, unwashed, neckbeards playing magic so I don't have to deal with their smell and autism
>>
>>46217057
Wait.

You have to PAY to be in a fraternity?!
>>
>>46217057
it really is like joining a club or paying money to do X thing, like go to a magic tournament or joining a sports team. You pay for the services, and the friends you make separately

like any group of people that meet each other it starts shallow but then becomes a bit deeper

and we don't pay top dollar, most of us are just people that like to have fun and happened to find people we liked

the girls I've dated I met in class. sorority girls are thoroughly uninteresting. good looking yes, but that alone doesn't do it for me
>>
>>46215700
Dude you couldn't try to make it even a little convincing?
>>
File: 1402875143230.jpg (98 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
1402875143230.jpg
98 KB, 1280x720
>Run into a friend I haven't seen in years
>turns out he plays magic now
>Get invited to go and have a game night with him and his other friends who play
>ask how competitive they are, so that I don't end up bringing my affinity deck someplace it has no place being.
>"Oh we're pretty competitive, my 80-card mill deck is pretty tough to beat!"

I...I don't think I can lower my power level this far down guys. The fuck do I do? Grab a sealed deck and expand it to 60 cards?
>>
>>46218077
Bring the treasure hunt zombie deck.
>>
>>46218077
Take affinity. teach them to play.
>>
>>46218077

>>46218250
This. It is now your responsibility to make men out of them.
>>
>>46218077
bring a 100 card mill deck duh
>>
>>46218077
battle of wits
>>
>>46215700
and then the alarm goes off and you wake up in your bed.
>>
>>46217077
Dude, it's USA, you have to pay for everything:
meds, school, friends.
What are you, a fucking comunist ?
>>
>>46218606
What about refills?
>>
>>46215700
just a note, fog is almost a real sideboard in the current meta. A good fog can turn shit around even if they don't turn everything sideways, you'll get to have a clear advantage next combat
>>
>>46218077
90 card living end.
>>
>>46218419
*81 card mill deck
fixed
>>
>>46218077
What if it was a joke and they stomp you with their own superior affinity decks?
>>
>>46218077

Crush your friend, see he driven before, hear the lamentation of nogf.
>>
>>46218077
4 Countryside Crusher, 2 Fling, 54 Mountains.
>>
>>46218077
Legit, make a battle of wits deck. Or use this shit deck I have lying around;
Putrefy x3
Archer's Parapet x4
Kin-Tree Invocation x3
Dead Weight x2
Grisly Spectacle x2
Sluiceway Scorpion x2
Tragic Slip x4
Meandering Towershell x2
Trestle Troll x3
Elves of Deep Shadow x2
Feed the Clan x2
Ambush Viper x1
Nylea's Presence x3
Grisly Salvage x1
Putrid Leech x1
Death Frenzy x1
Victim of Night x1
Respite x1
Wooly Loxodon x1
Lands and flavour to taste. I built this to play with a friend who hasn't ever played competitive magic. It'll work a treat. Or just build a deck with only one rare.
>>
File: a35.gif (623 KB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
a35.gif
623 KB, 320x180
>Two years ago
>Halfway done with my senior year in high school when I find out one of my teachers plays Magic
>Decide to play against him
>He says he'll "go easy on me"
>Completely steamrolls my burn deck with his counterspell deck
>Completely steamrolls my BG deck
>Compleely steamrolls my counterspell deck
>Completely steamrolls me every time with his Force of Wills, Counterspells, and bounce spells with buyback
>>
>>46218077
Build a budget burn deck. Not for this exercise but because you should.

Bring a variety of decks. Like decks from all over the curve. If they are 1337 pros, then no problem. If they are hypercasuals that still think guildgates are goodn which case Use their decks /shitty precons.
>>
File: rw.jpg (579 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
rw.jpg
579 KB, 1280x960
>>46215700
Etheral Haze is the Time Walk of modern atm
>>
>>46216289
Yeah I got first
>>
>Not a good speaker
>At my FNM when you win two or more games you get a booster pack
>Won my second game but the other guy went up and reported it
>I want my booster pack
>Go up to try explaining the situation
>"What's the results"
>Autistically try explaining I won but the other guy went up (I want my booster)
>Guy repeats as slowly with an irritated tone as if he's speaking to a special needs child
>"What were the results"
>I-I w-won 2-1
Never went back desu
>>
>>46215930
> writing non-metals in front
>>
>>46220940
Isochron-Silence is so awful to play against. Luckly I side Stony Silence and Leyline of Sanctity.
>>
File: Delay.jpg (61 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
Delay.jpg
61 KB, 312x445
>>46215700
I know a shop where playing out of meta or doing anything out of the box gets you looked weird or stinkeyed.

I like to experiment with 2 mana counter slot in Fish with the pic related and few dudes got really mad that their things got delayed.
Also there are people who think Reality smashers ability works on stack and get upset when I inform them that mister smasher is late is comes back in 3 turns and start arguing that it should be countered.
>>
>>46221780
I always love the kind of people who call your cards shit specifically when it works against them
>>
>>46221979
>>cast all is dust against tarmo-twin
>>resolves
>>tfw 2 tarmogoyfs,pestermite and snap on board
>>guy calls it useless and overpriced
>>muh artifacts still in great shape
>>
File: Look at all my tron mana.jpg (27 KB, 223x310) Image search: [Google]
Look at all my tron mana.jpg
27 KB, 223x310
>>46220752
God, I love capsize so much. Especially in pauper UW tron.
>>
>>46217077
Fraternities charge dues, which go toward paying for activities, insurance, and various other costs inherent in running an organization. This leads to some people makind the claim that fraternity members "pay for friends."

source: Not in a fraternity, but close enough friends with a good chunk of one to know how it all works.
>>
>>46216629
Oh right, eldrazi means the cheap guys now. When I read the first post I thought of the big annihilators.
>>
>>46220940

What is the win condition?
>>
>>46223517
Isochron Scepter imprinting one of the bolts or magma jet
>>
>>46220940
Your keyboard's layout fascinates me. At sign as an option on the v key? Pointed brackets next to L shift? N and M width dashes?!
>>
>>46218077
I had the problem so I dig around and found my old ajani vs bolas duel deck. The bolas deck was stripped apart a long time ago but ajani was mostly intact minus about 5 cards. So I slapped some draft fodder in there and called it good.
>>
>>46220940
Why Ethereal Haze over Holy Day, or are is Arcane relevant somehow?
How do you deal with enchantment/artifact hate postboard? Is this deck actually good?
>>
>>46225269
It can prevent non-combat damage.
Post sideboard tech : rebuff the wicked and ritual of restoration
>>
I have been wanting to get into modern for some time right now but I don't have the money for a T1 deck and I don't like the typical "budget" lists that are almost always aggro decks.

I thought I would be fine brewing my own deck but each time I bring the idea to other magic players they keep telling me that homebrews are shit and I'll get stomped if I ever make one.

Should I go for it anyway ? I don't want to spend ~200 bucks on cardboard to get utterly crushed after.
>>
>>46216162
what lgs do you play. I live in sf.
>>
>>46225670
Make a monocolored deck,so you wont need to pay 300€ for lands
>>
>>46225670

Yeah well.. Plenty of much better players/deck builders than you have been hammering on Modern playable cards trying to build powerful lists for the last few years and then refined the best strategies on the format. There are also cards that are staples for each color, and it's almost stupid not to be playing them regardless of the deck if you have the mana to do it. Those are the cards that usually are the most expensive.

Building a brew deck and building a budget deck are two different things.
>>
>>46218077
Bring legacy dredge.
>>
>>46225670
The problem with home brews is they all boil down to aggro/midrange decks with card choices that are ultimately strictly worse or just less efficient than established decks, or control decks that are 32 removal/counters and 4 win conditions and the deck as a whole just gets shit on due to the heavy aggro meta.

Then you have the shit brews like mill and helix pinnacle that never should have left the kitchen table
>>
>>46225767
Well, I didn't say I wanted to revolutionize modern by creating a new t1 deck by myself or anything along those lines.

I'm ok with running a subpar deck composed of value cards.

For example, a Midrange Bant deck replacing Goyf and VoR by other less expensive bears like Scooze.

>>46225761
I thought about Green Devotion but it folds too hard to land hate to my taste.

>>46225829
Yes, that's what I'm afraid of basically.
>>
>>46225950
what your budget? I can suggest some decks to you thats affordable and competitive/fun.
>>
>>46225670
What about the Mtggoldfish Budget series ? Some of their decks seem a bit janky but I think some others are legit good if you upgrade their manabase a bit.
>>
>>46226014
I have 200 to 300 to spend, sideboard included.

I like all styles of play as long as it's not full on aggro.
>>
>>46226044
Something like Emeria Titan? or just find one of those Modern Event decks and tweak it with rest.
>>
>>46226044
Eggs (combo), Goblins(pretty much just straight aggro, Soul Sisters (an aggro meta deck) are your picks. Are you planning to invest more money into the game?

Now if you want to go really deep: Skred Red
>>
>>46226195
Oh, there's also Taking Turns.
>>
>>46226195
>>46226218
>>46226044

If I were to build a "budget" deck, I would go with Mono Blue Delver. The only expensive card if cryptic command, which is a format all star and is relatively low right now, and most of the other cards are dirty cheap.

If you end up liking the archetype you can then try to go UR Delver, which is a tier 1.5 or so deck that has a bunch of cards that are also usable both in more control oriented UR Modern decks such as Splinter Twin.

The deck is also an easy transfer to Legacyif you ignore the volcanic islands, now that Force of Will and Wasteland are getting reprinted and maybe drop in price a bit.
>>
>>46226500
>If you end up liking the archetype you can then try to go UR Delver, which is a tier 1.5 or so deck
When are you from? UR delver isn't even in tier 2.
>>
>>46226195
I will invest more in the game with time. Eggs and Turns aren't really fun to go against so maybe Soul Sisters depending how my LGS modern meta is.

>>46226096
I really wish they printed more than one of these, I'm not into the BW token thing.

>>46226500
I like Delver. I might try this out.
>>
>>46226598
>>46226598
>Eggs and Turns aren't really fun to go against
Doesn't mean they aren't fun to play with, but have it your way.

>I will invest more in the game with time.
Then you might want to just play a budget deck and build it up to an actual deck over time. Alternatively you can pick a deck with cards that slot into other competitive decks. I still think eggs is the deck to play: The most expensive card in the deck, Mox Opal, go into Lantern Control and Affinity. Lotus Bloom Goes into Ad Nauseam if you want to go that route. The chromatic eggs go into Tron. It's the deck I would play if I was on a budget, but I also don't mind spending 15 minutes in one turn in an 18 minute game.

>I like Delver. I might try this out.
You could also do this, but delver isn't strong in modern atm
>>
>>46218077
You left the part out where he blows you completely out of the water, anon.
>>
>>46225950
Try Sheltering Ancient eith bounce spells or something like pavifism in Bant
>>
>>46226930
It'll be in a better place in april, so if you're picking up delver pieces you should do it now while its still shit.
>>
>>46215700
>>IT AINT YUGIOH
sauce for this meme
>>
>>46221979
thats the fog fallacy, just because it wins a game sometimes doesnt make it a good card
>>
>Teaching two of my m8s to play Magic last weekend
>Messing around with the new duel deck
>"Show us one of your powerful decks anon"
>I'm reluctant because I want to ease them into the game
>Get convinced to break out my modern Jund deck against the UB duel deck
>Crush them
>"This is just P2W bullshit!"
>They don't want to learn Magic any more

Sorry /tg/...
>>
>>46230366
did you tell them that the best deck in the format is a quarter of the price of jund?
>>
>>46230706
I told them that Jund was on the more expensive end of the spectrum and they should just play the decks they like.
>>
File: merchant.png (9 KB, 174x204) Image search: [Google]
merchant.png
9 KB, 174x204
>>46230366
Worse than introducing your friends to hard drugs.
Glad they didn't bought in this kike hobby
I can't stop putting money in it
pls help
>>
>>46220940
Why no boros charm? it keeps your scepters from dying and gets 4 damage a turn compared to 3
>>
>>46230954
Doesn't hit creatures maybe?
>>
>>46231351
you have paths and ghostly prison, might as well have 2
and it saves prison as well
>>
>Go to FLGS
>Brought my casual R/W ally deck along in-case I feel like playing against strangers for once.
>Bought a few packs and some 50 cent junk uncommons that looked cool (ajani's pridemate if I recall correctly).
>Spot a open seat and sit down across from some guy in a baseball cap.
>It's like he can't even speak English, just pantomimes mostly and one or two words.
>Stomps me with a BR eldrazi deck 0-4.
>Well this might be a fluke, I'll try again.
>Go against a 5' 1" 200 pound guy with his UB eldrazi deck.
>Actually win the fourth match so 1-3.
>Get some tips from him that basically boil down to "Don't play Allies and switch to eldrazi if you want to actually win".
>Get miffed and don't come back to FLGS for a while.
>Come back a month later and it's basically the same thing. Bring my casual deck and get creamed by their competitive T1 decks.
>Refuse to play competitive and permanently switch to kitchen casual since it's the only way I can have fun with magic.
>>
>>46230195
It's a head game all-star. That's what makes it good.
>>46222485
My nigga
>>
>>46232495
Good for you. Play Magic the way that you enjoy. There's no "right" way to do it.
>>
>>46232770
>There's no "right" way to do it.
According to every MTG general on this board that statement is false.
>>
>>46217057

joining a frat and living in the house was WAAAAAYYY cheaper than the dorms
>>
>>46225670

MTGGoldfish's 8Whack goblins deck is pretty good for like $80.
>>
>>46216289

>ramping out 8/8 tramplers can't win

In the long-term the deck is probably less powerful than standard choices and you have to account that some of those wins came from the advantage of playing a rogue deck but it isn't exactly an unfathomable mystery that they managed to take a FNM with something like this. You should get out more.
>>
File: coin.jpg (360 KB, 960x680) Image search: [Google]
coin.jpg
360 KB, 960x680
>>46218077
Here's a shitty coin toss based burn deck.

3 Krark's Thumb
4 Augury Owl
4 Monastery Swiftspear
4 Electrolyze
4 Lightning Bolt
6 Island
7 Mountain
4 Shivan Reef
4 Sulfur Falls
4 Fiery Gambit
4 Lava Spike
4 Mana Clash
4 Sleight of Hand
4 Stitch in Time

SB:
4 Dragon's Claw
4 Odds//Ends
4 Anger of the Gods

Th list was designed by some cuck who knew how to control coin flips.
The rest of the deck is tuned down as a disguise.
Considering that you (probably) can't control coin tosses, this should serve you purposes just fine.
>>
>>46232822
Yes and /tg/ is horrible at Magic. Whats your point?
>>
>>46235363
/tg/ is not horrible at magic. /tg/ is just hyper competitive at magic and hostile to anyone who wants to play a casual game or anyone who buys card packs instead of strict singles-only.
>>
>>46226044
That's either pauper Burn or pauper MBC alongside every meta-relevant pauper deck that isn't Burn or MBC.
>>
>>46223680
How does it win through all the Affinity-related artifact hate?
>>
>>46237128
By using Hope.
Thread replies: 92
Thread images: 11

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.