[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Hey /tg/, you guys might remember me. I'm the guy who had
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 26
Hey /tg/, you guys might remember me. I'm the guy who had The Shallow Sea in his setting, a large body of water that divides two continents that Is several hundred miles tall and about 100 miles wide, but only cones up to a man's ankles.

Last time we discussed traversing the shallow sea and how people would even take an army across it and the weather patterns that would be present in such an area.

This time I come to discuss creturns that would live in the sea. I was thinking, would the shallow sea be like deserts and have ant lions except with water? Does such an animal exist? Jesus christ how terrifying. What other crazy shit would go on out there?

Also, would pic related be able to cross the sea? Is the water deep enough to accommodate such a vessel?
>>
Giant water spiders.
>>
>>46214215
We humans have these remarkable things called feet and boots. I suggest those and cots for going across the "sea". I would probably just have some variation of small animals, mainly amphibians there. And as for those boats, I highly doubt it. Again, feet and boots. Maybe a really, really, light raft and a single person. But that's a maybe.
>>
Walking would be really tiring. Boats could help drag materials rather than carry, and provide a dry place to sleep.

Re: Animals. Reptiles like salt water crocodiles.... Hey is the sea salt or fresh?
>>
>>46214313
>what is trench foot

You would need modern day boots made of rubber to even have a chance.
>>
>>46214215
Eels.

I didn't see the last thread. What's the bottom like? Sand? Clay? Stone?
Regardless, if it's that shallow, floating transportation would be pointless. You'd more likely have raised causeways like you see in bogs. Maybe ancient cobbled roads or something, depending on your setting's lore. Perhaps there's tribes of semi nomadic people who earn coin guiding caravans.

If you want shallow but deep enough for floating transport, think 2 or 3 feet deep. That also gives you enough room to hide larger nasty monsters like crocs or snapping turtles.
>>
>>46214390
Depends where you are in the sea. It should be salt water at the very far south and north sides but fresh more towards the middle.
>>
>>46214401
Leather boots can be made waterproof really easily. The Wellington is a really old design.
>>
A shallow sea like that seems reminiscent of the initial warm body seas that preceded the dinosaurs.
>>
I like this idea, OP. What else goes on in your setting?
>>
I'd imagine a high concentration of oxygen would be needed for such a sea to form, so larger creatures are probably more likely.
>>
>>46214481
Seconding this, I would also like to know.
>>
>>46214452
Still, set up a cot every so often, take your shit off, let it air out. I'm kinda imagining something like desert barracks but with water, not sand.
>>
>>46214522
No. If you want to talk physically possible scenarios, it'd have to be tge exposed point of a much larger aquifer.

>>46214461
The predinosaur seas were "shallow" but still averaged 15-25' deep
>>
>>46214425

https://warosu.org/tg/thread/40659217
Here's the archive

>>46214481
It's a politics heavy setting with four different seasons after an Apocolypse scenario that set the plane into being divided into 4 different seasons on each corner of the world. There is one civilization for each season each with their races, lifestyles, politics, and whatnot. You'll have to be more specific
>>
>>46214579
I was agreeing with you. The biggest challenge this would present isn't the water itself, it's the ground below it, and plant life. If it's sandy, it'll encourage plants like cattails and razir grass.
If it's clayish, you'll have lilys and other root-heavy plants, and super-sticky mud.

In fact, I would expect the entire sea to turn to mud within a decade from dust landing in it.
>>
>>46214660
Valid, I didn't think of that. Sorry if I'm coming off as an asshole, shit day at work, you know how that goes. But anyway, if you've got sand... maybe have everything set up on sleds drawn by horses? Razor grass would end that quickly, but maybe chainmail netting around the horses? Dunno.
>>
>>46214425
> ... 2 or 3 feet deep. That also gives you enough room to hide larger nasty monsters like crocs or snapping turtles,

I like this idea.

Also, some kind of ant lion esque creature that hides under the soil and tries to get your feet.

>>46214452

While that is true, salt water also eats up leather. I mean, you can magic it away. Also, if it's ankle deep, what about shoes/sandals with really thick soles that just raise your feet above the water? I'm pretty sure that has existed too.
>>
File: image.jpg (290 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
290 KB, 600x600
Assuming its salt you could use shit like balsa for singular to two man boats but they'd be pretty wide. The pole method would work the best and you could probably get some decent speed over foot or horse since silt will be an issue. Another decent one would be those ankle stilts muddy villages used to move about.
Perhaps taller Geta or stilts that have a brace that brace to the shins.
Best bet for soldiers however would still be big ass lightweight rafts since slogging on dry land in gear can lead to heat death often enough now imagine shlocking through silt and mud that you have to actively force yourself out of the suction each step. You could even anchor them individually and strap them together as makeshift island when you wanna rest and it would make it much easier for individual soldiers to carry their own shit so you wouldn't need tons of pack horses.
As for animals various small amphibians, invertebrates, and fish. Think frogs, crabs, shrimp, little fish, water beetles and the like. water insects would have a field day as a lot only stick to just near the shore shallows for air and now everythings shallows.
winds and small water funnels would be an issue and believe it or not it would get quite warm and humid and dehydration would be a huge issue since theres no safe dry area for fire to sanitize the water. Trenchfoot is also an issue but rafts would eliminate that as well.
>>
>>46214600
Seasons? I'd imagine the Winter civizilation with iced over seas impact how they operate.
>>
Tell me more about the Philippines, anon.
>>
>>46214775
Well the shallow sea is to their East, the spring country is to their south, and their frozen sea to their north and west. They don't trade to the south since their government has collapsed and as far as food that's one of their main problems as a nation.
>>
this Shallow Sea is a death trap, the worst Sea in the real world is far less dangerous.

it would be nothing but mud and weeds, no boat could hold more than 2 to 3 people without scraping the bottom, it would be full of gators and small jelly fish, being so shallow, the concentration of these creatures would be immense.

it might as well be Lava, no one makes it across beyond the lucky.
>>
File: 1458445061571.jpg (45 KB, 538x706) Image search: [Google]
1458445061571.jpg
45 KB, 538x706
>>46215029
OP here. That was the idea upon creation.
>>
File: Hells Bay_Bis2.jpg (33 KB, 600x398) Image search: [Google]
Hells Bay_Bis2.jpg
33 KB, 600x398
Did it abit of research. Very shallow boats are possible.

http://www.sportfishingmag.com/boats/technical-poling-skiffs-best-boats-fishing-shallow-water

You might want to define "ankle deep" but looks like these flat boats can operate in 4-5 inches of water though it's pushing it.

Grass flats and mud flats fishing is a big thing. Maybe you can look at the wildlife there.
>>
File: swamp.jpg (290 KB, 616x352) Image search: [Google]
swamp.jpg
290 KB, 616x352
>>
>>
Hmm..wildlife? What about giant centipedes? Mongolian Death Worm-expy?
>>
>>46215278
Ankle deep is probably no more than 4 inches deep. 3 would probably be more accurate however.
>>
>>46215578
I honestly can't tell, but that looks like it might be a few inches too deepm
>>
>>46214215
>ant lions except with water

Yes. I don't remember what they're called, though. They are a fair bit bigger than ant lions too.
>>
>>46214215
That sea is going to get pretty hot in the warmer months. Unless there's really strong winds, that water is going to be air temperature by 1 PM. The only places you'll find visible life are around where streams feed into it, cooling it down, and probably a few dozen meters in from the "ends." Unless it's been there as is for a few million years and things have adapted.

It'll also be briny as hell because of the high water evaporation.
>>
>>46214426
No, it would be saltier on the middle because more water is evaporating thanks to three high temperature. Unless streams are feeding like the entire volume of the sea INTO the sea on a weekly basis.
>>
>>46214591
This guy gets it
>captcha is bodies of water
>>
Huge bobbit worms, as large as an anaconda. Step on one of these bad boys and you'll lose a foot, if not the whole leg.
>>
>>46214215
sand sharks maybe?
>>
>>46217072
>>46217049
What if the Shallow Sea was the top of a massive aquifer, giving it an almost unlimited amount of water.
>>
>>46217233
If it was the top of an aquifer it has to be fresh water right?
>>
>>46217233
Some patches of the sea have ground weakened by roots and the constant flow of the water. Standing one one of these patches spells certain doom, as men disappear beneath the sand without time to scream, horse and rider drowning in the endless silty deep below.
>>
>>46218061
You'd just treat it like a bog thats grown over a lake. Time to bring out the 9foot walking stick and rope based buddy system.
>>
>>46218146
>Rope based dummy system

What?
>>
>>46218576
You each have a walking stick and a rope tying you to eachother at the waste thats maybe 10 feet long if the pole is 9ft to prevent hitting eachother.
>frontman checks where you're going, if the pole pushes through your body definitely will
>backman maintains almost loose tension to prevent rope from dragging while watching to see if frontman goes down
>back man also less thoroughly checks with his pole
>OH NO! Frontman is gone and you're being pulled toward a hole!
>put pole across belly evenly and wait for impact
>now that you're(hopefully) firmly lodged above the hole pull frontman out

Its a decent way to map out safe paths over peat bogs and the like that sit atop lakes and can be further improved with another rope and person in the chain.
>>
>>46214215
>ankle-deep
I'm not really sure how much you've thought this through. Not only could specialized plants grow in this environment, but they would fucking thrive and spread everywhere. It would probably be more akin to a very wet, salty forest than anything else.
>>
>>46214215
Honestly the whole thing should not be a uniform shallowness. Make it deeper on average, with the occassional drop in depth for a muddy aquatic hidaway or rise for sandy shoals to camp out on. Somrthing not as boring as ankle deep.
>>
File: image.jpg (116 KB, 1000x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
116 KB, 1000x500
and then suddenly, balloon boats.
>>
>>46214215
You'd need to watch out for such creatures as stone fish, stingrays, blue ring octopus, and cone shells.They all inhabit shallow, murky water and are all venomous.
>>
>>46214912
Are all the civs unified, or do they have warring factions within?
>>
>>46214600
>Here's the archive

Do you have any links to the other threads? Or some other place with gathered info?
>>
File: images.jpg (9 KB, 259x194) Image search: [Google]
images.jpg
9 KB, 259x194
>>46214425
How about stilts? Houses on stilts, people on stilts, etc.
>>
File: stevemccurrystiltfishermen.jpg (194 KB, 620x419) Image search: [Google]
stevemccurrystiltfishermen.jpg
194 KB, 620x419
>>46221590
Pictures related.
>>
>>46218656
Now I am imagining huge trains of 20-something men with raft-wagons slowly crossing the waste, paranoid and staring.

My setting has a massive salt/silt waste separating most areas, so this thread is being systematically stolen.
>>
You should look into Marsh Arabs and the indigenous peoples of Cape Canaveral.

As for creatures, don't forget waterfowl, specifically crane off shoots.
>>
>>46223094
Alligator Gars. The resacas of the Rio Grande Valley are filled with these massive critters, but a resaca is as shallow as the sea you're talking about.
>>
Giant Snakes that can skim over the surface extremely fast.

Insects much larger than normal that use the water to support their weight

If you've ever read "The Edge Chronicles" by Chris Riddell and Paul Stewart you'll remember The Mire, a huge mudflat with blowholes and pits of quicksand. http://theedgechronicles.wikia.com/wiki/Mire
BTW, read it, it's a fantastic world I would love to run a campaign in.

Experienced guides who charge exorbitant prices to guide people across the sea and tell horror stories about the dangers to create a demand for their service

Local Stilt Fisherman

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Photokeratitis
TLDR Snow Blindness from light reflecting off snow or sheets of still water for long periods

Mirages caused by gas vents from decomposition and reflective water

Giant Leeches

Huge Heron Birds with thickly scaled/armored legs that prey on the snakes and insects
(Maybe ride them?)

Carnivorous Plants, grow aggressively towards campsites at night, maybe drift on platforms of moss around the sea freely
>>
>>46214215
Why wouldn't they just reclaim the shit out of it like what they already do with coast irl? Reclaiming a flat shallow water body only a few centimeters deep would be trivial.
>>
>>46223774
What would it look like then? Denmark or something?
OP said it was the size of a damn ocean, reclaiming the entire thing is going to be anything but trivial
>>
>>46216710
Bobbitt worms?
>>
you do realise that the entire inner area of a "sea" that shallow would become a saltwater marsh within a few decades?

depending on the climate, it would probably end up like the florida marshes, hundreds of thickets made of the spongy, rotting plant matter that grows out from the shallow water, and builds up over the decades to form areas higher than the water level.

(this is, of course, also ignoring the reality that you'd struggle get a ground level that's perfectly even, billiard-table smooth, for 100 miles or more, that isnt a salt flat. )
>>
Y'all are some unfun motherfuckers.
>>
>>46217233
You could have an aquifer, but then it would be a really big freshwater lake. Plus it would still be really hot - that shit has to be equatorial enough that it didn't get fucked up by glaciers. There also have to be few enough streams that it's not gradually getting filled by deltas, and I've got no good reason it wouldn't just turn into a marsh or bog.
>>
>>46220661
Spring is the least Unified since it's government collapse with warring factions and tribes everywhere. Winter is kind of like USSR Russia, Fall is like a really really corrupt 1500's France, and Summer is a Theocracy with a God King.

>>46218756
What kind of specialized plants? I never said the thing wasn't murky. I always imagined it more akin to a salt-water swamp once you get a few miles in.

>>46218796
>Ankle-Deep
>Boring

Niggawut.jpg

>>46220852
NOt unless it's in that thread.

>>46223774
For what purpose? As far as I've gone into it in games, it's mainly used for fishing and exiling people.

>>46226541
>>46225276
Because it's fantasy. Then again it probably will eventually just not right now.
>>
File: 1416319702268.jpg (142 KB, 717x1115) Image search: [Google]
1416319702268.jpg
142 KB, 717x1115
>>46214249
>>46214313
>>46214390
Anything found in marshlands and shallow swamps. Crocodilians, large ambush/sedimentary fish like catfish, amphibians, crustatians, aquatic mammals like beavers/nutria/cappibara, snakes....

>>46214401
>What are paddy wading stilts?

Sticking with the asian theme of OP's pic.

>>46214750
>>46221590
>>46221612
Getta/stilt mind
>>
>>46226202
>Y'all are some unfun motherfuckers.
Welcome to modern /tg/, home of the "that's scientifically implausible", would you like to try a "if your setting isn't constrained by real-world physics you're a lazy worldbuilder"
>>
>>46214215
if your world contains magic it would open up a lot of very usefull spells like a tenzers flaoting disk

you might even add a lucrative trade in some plant/animal/miniral mater that allows for water repulsion or water proofing

You could also have people using light one person boards coated in a water repelant coating. then mount the board on stakes to sleep
>>
>>46214660
There would need to be a deity preventing the muddifying
>>
>>46227031
Magic is reserved for nobles, who are usually far too stuck in their own country trying to keep their post than helping people across a death trap for no reason. Not that it doesn't happen for messengers and whatnot, but it's very seldom. Usually people's way of dealing with the shallow sea is to sail around it.

The setting itself is dark-fantasy low-magic though. One in like every 1000 people is a magic user. They are also usually someone of some station or renown. The lowest person we've had be a magic user was a captain of the guard at a fort where a Marchioness lived.
>>
>>46225276
What if you had a species of tiny bugs or fish capable of living in salt water that ate up all this plant matter keeping it from growing out into the sea very far?
Might have some bigger coastal fish similar to catfish that eat this species.
>>
File: Mont-Saint-Michel2.jpg (144 KB, 990x660) Image search: [Google]
Mont-Saint-Michel2.jpg
144 KB, 990x660
>>46214215

Okay, so what about tides?

Assuming this setting has a moon, why wouldn't this shallow sea have tides? Is high-tide when it's wet, and it turns into wet sand at low tide, or is low tide when it's waist deep, and it gets much higher at high tide?
>>
File: raft.jpg (352 KB, 640x427) Image search: [Google]
raft.jpg
352 KB, 640x427
I imagine this would be a popular mode of transport
>>
>>46227769

Flat barges can transport bulk goods across it, as slim-hulled vessels would scrape the bottom.

Any personal mode of transportation would need to be able to move along at a fast clip or be able to accommodate living in it for at least a few days since it's 100 miles across, unless it's for use around the edges of the shallow sea or for moving from a transport barge. Remember, 100 miles is nothing to people with highways and cars, but it's a few days journey at walking pace, assuming you can keep the pace throughout the entirety of it without stopping to rest.
>>
>>46217112
Like the Yensa from ff12
>>
>>46214215
What are the wind patterns like?

The water being shallow is not really an obstacle, you just make a flat bottomed raft with a very, very wide footprint so it barely lies below the surface, then you just glide along powered by sail, kite or by pushing off with a long pole.

Getting your feet wet is not an obstacle for crossing it, not when you can just pull a little raft along to rest on now and then, crossing it would probably not be much of an issue unless you add some predators, crazy weather phenomena, or other obstacles. Like miles of poisonous sea cucumbers or carnivorous plant life.
>>
>>46227689
It's not like it needs to have a moon though.Or maybe it has several that balance each other out. Except when they converge and fuck everything up. That'd be cool.
>>
How about migatorial trees that till the soil as they go. Make roving forrests that move from one side to the other. Hell make them predatory and they clear all plants and some animals in their path
>>
>>46226845
Actually, could I get a "roleplaying games are a serious and deep experience that's not meant to be fun" with a side order of "stop liking what I don't like"?
>>
>>46227970
Walking in it would be tantamount to walking through the shallow part of the beach. There's no way you would be able to get more than 30 miles a day and that's pushing it. You would have to pull your own weight out of the silt every step.

>>46227769
That wouldn't be any better than anything else really. 3 Inches of water isn't really enough to submerge anything in enough to float unless like >>46227970 said it's got a flat bottom.

>>46228369
We went over this in the last thread. Gliding over such a flat surface would be suicide. The wind speeds would be too high to glide and you would only survive if you got insanely lucky to not get picked up by a shallow sea version of a sand storm, pic related. Weather was discussed in this thread https://warosu.org/tg/thread/40659217

>>46227689
Tides would only affect the far north and south part of the shallow sea. Anything near the center would be very minuscule in change. However I can imagine people at the north and south ends using high tide to travel.

>>46228471
If I may, I'd also like to order some "Fifth Edition is like Tabletop MMORPG?"
>>
I'd imagine navigation might be difficult in some cases. Could be some people have sunk wood totems upright into the sea at intervals, creating an easy path to follow for regular trade, or it could be that everyone just has to make due with it, using the sun as a guide. Though easy to tell latitude, it'd be much harder to tell longitude, and you could miss your mark on the other side of shore by miles.

>>46228811

>There's no way you would be able to get more than 30 miles a day and that's pushing it. You would have to pull your own weight out of the silt every step.

That and the salt and sand would do terrible things to the unprotected. Travel on a barge, boat, or beast of burden that keeps you out of the salt spray and water is probably the only way to go. Preferably with enough fresh water storage so you have enough to drink on the journey and enough to wash off any salt you get on your so you don't start developing sores.

>>46228397

Without understanding the huge impact of not having a moon, it's probably better to say it has one and go with >>46228811's suggestion. Tides affect the edges more, while the center remains relatively stable.
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (61 KB, 312x445) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
61 KB, 312x445
What if the sea was artificial?
>>
File: GIANT-SALAMANDER.jpg (84 KB, 660x442) Image search: [Google]
GIANT-SALAMANDER.jpg
84 KB, 660x442
Can you go a little higher than the ankle at points and include these fellows?
>>
>>46214452
Okay, now you're crossing a couple hundred miles of shallow water full of random monsters, either unable to stop to sit and sleep or lugging around a floating bed, defeating the point of not bringing a boat.
>>
>>46229214
Sure if you wanna go up more towards the north and south.
>>
A boat of ample surface area could easily float on water that shallow. Make boats much larger and flatter around the shallow sea. Transporting goods would be expensive but travel for a few people on one of the oversized boats could be feasible.
>>
>>46226836
Is that what those shoes were for? I'd always kind of wondered. For rice paddies specifically? I've always kind of associated them with samurai for some reason but I don't think that's right.
>>
>>46226541
Could just make it a caldera over an extinct volcano
>>
>>46214215
Rays
Giant crabs and lobsters
Very sharp coral reefs that cut through thinly-soled boots
Shellfish beds
Giant clams that slam shut if they're stepped in
Anemones
Stromatolites
Large floating clumps of seaweed

Now you've started me thinking in a Dungeon Meshi vibe, OP.
>>
If the water ranged between a ankle deep and up to a meter majority, and assuming fresh water, it would be such an amazing biome.

hoards upon hoards of fish and frogs and birds that nest in fresh-water-mangrove-type-trees, small shark like things...

Source of food right there, and perhaps you could have fresh-water coral reef equivalents?
>>
How about:
- Mangrove-like forests with roots and trunks submerged.
- Boardwalks in certain places to supplement boat travel, especially throughout the mangroves.

- Huge areas of reefs on rocky sea floor.
- Sea anemone and urchin like creatures.

- Foggy, bog-like areas in the spirit of the dead marshes.

- Giant boulder fields with smooth rocks protruding out of the water but never culminating in a landmass.
>>
File: Silt_Strider.jpg (224 KB, 600x450) Image search: [Google]
Silt_Strider.jpg
224 KB, 600x450
Beast of burden.
>>
>>46214215
My first thought was 'why isn't this a giant swamp/marsh'?
>>
>>46223661
How about Skiff-like Windsurfing crafts to maneuvering around the edges?
>>
>>46214215
What about a creature that digs a deep pit and lines the entrance with the excavated dirt, then empties the pit of water? Or doesn't, doesn't really matter I guess, point is now there's a nice little plot of dry land surrounding a big ass hole. Things climb on the dirt to sun themselves out of the water, the excavator jumps out and eats them, life goes on. For the excavator.
>>
>>46235274
That is pretty much what an ant lion is.
>>
>>46235548
Oh. Good job, me. For my next animal, a hydrodynamic creature with no limbs at all on it that captures prey by wrapping its muscular body around them and squeezing them to death before it eats them whole!

I'm trying to think of an animal that could make boats or some such but can't really think of anything. Would otters live in the Shallow Sea? turtles probably would, right?
>>
>>46235691
Maybe something like floating beehives
BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!
>>
Manta rays.
>>
>>46235765
OH DEAR GOD WHY
Oh sweet jebus it gets worse the the longer I think about it, especially if there are water-born plants for them.

"Despite the activities of the catfish and their effect on the plant abundance, some small patches of plant mats do still exist in the Shallow Sea. Optimistic or new travelers often thank their deities for these as they provide a comfortable place to spend the night; the wary and experience traveler will often carefully check the surroundings, or sometimes just avoid the mats altogether, for where there are mats there may be the Shallow Sea's wasp hives."
>>
>>46235859
>There is a storm
>Angry BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES were brought to your doorstep
>>
>>46214215
Got to ask, what is to stop a Rome like civ from building islands and bridges at least part way across the damn thing? Getting a 100 mile death trap down to 75 would give you a massive advantage to the guys who have to deal with the whole thing.
>>
>>46235859
>>46235765
I'm gonna be honest, but I don't really see how bees would survive in a shallow ocean environment. There's nowhere to grow the hives, and bees are pollinators. What are they gonna pollinate, plankton? It doesn't make any sense.
>>
>>46236014
Lessee if I can make it work
>At first they make their hives in the caparacces of turtles
>Once it reaches a big enough size they make the outter layer water-resistant and detach it
>There are two special bee kinds in these hives
>"Propeller" bees live in the outside of the beehive, and use their highly specialized wings to move the beehive. Most of their time is spent underwater, and they are about three times bigger than normal bees
>"Orchestrator" bees are small, but there is only one in each hive. They lack wings and have six eyes and a highly developed nervous system. They use pheromones to direct the propeller bees, keeping the beehive out of danger
>They also navigate in search of aquatic plants, mainly mango trees. Up to twelve beehives can be found around mango trees at a time.
>If no tree is near, they search smaller plants and, if such a thing is necesary, devour the vegetal mass, task which the larvae are specialized in, with their jaws being much stronger than that of an adult bee. Bigger bees take pieces of leaves to them, and the larvae masticate it into a mulsh.
>>
>>46235958
Some dudes in the other thread talked about that. We went over how it woildnt be possible to make anything lasting since the ground would shift so much. Anything you put in it would sink in a few weeks.
>>
>>46236203
Oh, and I forgot to say
>All the heat the larvae and queen generate is moved, by using a relatively complex pipe system, moved to air bags in the outside out the beehive. This means that their chambers have to be in the lower parts of the hive, but it also adds much flotability to the hive.
>>
>>46236279
Wait, wouldn't this make the hive fly away?
Queens generate a fuckton of heat
>>
>>46214215
Sounds like it'd be man-made, if anything.

I remember a story about how Alexander the Great once did one-thing-or-another, and now there's a bridge in the middle of some sea. Creating a hundred mile wide wading pool seems like something an enormously powerful empire would do.
>>
>>46236203
>in the caparacces of turtles
>in
How? That shit ain't hollow, dude. Are they parasites now?
>>
>>46235765

>swimming bees
>can't even jump into the water to escape them

Death is certain!
>>
>>46236409
I assumed dead turtle shells, but that's kinda a valid point. How are these bees thriving as a species if they have to wait decades to find a dead turtle?
>>
>>46235859
>>46235765
>>46236014
>>46236279
>>46236295
>>46236409
>>46236447
>>46236538
Fun fact.
Many insects have straight up gills or ways to hold a piss ton of air and don't NEED land to survive.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aquatic_insect
>>
>>46237630
>Aqautic Bees with Gills

Jesus fucking christ I think I have a new fear.

Is there a drawfag here who could make a rendering?
>>
>>46237630
Well, sure, but can you build a hive underwater? I kind of doubt it. Wasps build their nests out of paper, remember, and adhesives in general don't like water.
>>
>>46237694
Clams, mussels, oysters and their self assembling adhesive proteins would like a word with you.
They could just forage for whatever vegetation they can get their hands on, excrete the adhesive that uses water as its component, stick the shit into hive like structures, and float the bitch off with a new queen ensuring the popularions survival.
>>
>>46226845
In fairness OP completely failed to mention that his setting was totally fantastical in nature and that our ideas should not be constrained by real world practicality.
>>
>>46237694
>>46237765
>>46237688

There's already a type of hive-living shrimp that lives in something very much like a bee hive. They live in hollowed out sponges and protect them from other invasive creatures. They mostly rely on their pinchers rather than stings to fend off an attacker, though.
>>
>>46238036

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synalpheus_regalis
>>
>>46236409
On*
>>
File: image.jpg (2 MB, 3008x2000) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
2 MB, 3008x2000
>>46239111
>On*
In**
>>
File: screenshot.520.png (35 KB, 988x480) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.520.png
35 KB, 988x480
>>46239186
On***
>>
File: image.jpg (5 KB, 168x144) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
5 KB, 168x144
>>46239196
>>
>>46214215
Giant water snakes.
>>
>>46239226
On******
>>46239239
Snees
They bite and inject BEEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSS into your bloodstream
>>
>>46237976
>totally fantastical

Nigga it's not totally fantastical, It's just on the level of "don't sweat the small stuff." If someone were to ask someone why the shallow sea doesn't turn into a marsh to most people they would just reply with "Who knows? The shallow sea is a mystery to even the most learned of people."
>>
File: image.jpg (4 KB, 64x56) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
4 KB, 64x56
>>46239256
>>
>>46214600
>>46239349
>>
File: screenshot.521.png (280 B, 23x16) Image search: [Google]
screenshot.521.png
280 B, 23x16
>>46239355
*********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
>>
File: 1430776985917.gif (132 KB, 263x185) Image search: [Google]
1430776985917.gif
132 KB, 263x185
>>46239355
>>46239408
You two stop that.
>>
File: 1424395546888.webm (41 KB, 360x360) Image search: [Google]
1424395546888.webm
41 KB, 360x360
>>46239461
No.
>>
File: image.jpg (12 KB, 305x305) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
12 KB, 305x305
>>46239461
>>
File: 1436194869187.jpg (17 KB, 280x278) Image search: [Google]
1436194869187.jpg
17 KB, 280x278
>>46239509
>>46239534
Well there goes my only way of stopping you. I tried, at least.
>>
File: 1424477416715.jpg (52 KB, 848x480) Image search: [Google]
1424477416715.jpg
52 KB, 848x480
>>46239566
Your dubs have placated my angered spirit.
This thread shall be free from asterisks, brethren.
>>
>>46214215
>a large body of water that divides two continents that Is several hundred miles tall
>but only comes up to a man's ankles

I don't understand what you mean here. How can a body of water be hundreds of miles tall but only a foot or two deep?
>>
>>46240064
Longitude, methinks.
>>
>>46240064
Humans are thousands of miles tall
Thread replies: 132
Thread images: 26

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.