[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What would you consider the most accessible of all pen &
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7
File: dice.jpg (89 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
dice.jpg
89 KB, 640x480
What would you consider the most accessible of all pen & paper rulesets?

No seriously, I wanna know.
>>
>accessible

So for normies?

D&D, Dungeon World, or maybe Dread?
>>
5e is really pretty reasonably simplified. Now is a better time than ever to jump into D&D
>>
System-wise, GURPS.

Ease-of-access for DM and players alike including an attractive pre-built setting, 5e.
>>
Freeform.

No materials required, children do it all the time without being taught.

>not a ruleset
Risus, Everyone is John, Lasers and Feelings, any other system you can fit the comprehensive rules onto one page.

Shitty thread, OP. You could've looked this up yourself and used adversarial language because you want people to argue. Real meaningful conversation about topics you care about is a lot more fun than trolling and flaming, you know.
>>
File: image.jpg (326 KB, 768x994) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
326 KB, 768x994
D&D. Alternatively free-form with jack shit rules slapped on top.
>>
>>46212946
I second this. Even I managed to get some normies to play
>>
>>46212168
Into the Odd.
>>
>>46213026
>trolling

You've misread me, anon, I'm out of my depth DMing, my latest attempt was with Shadowrun Ed.3 several months ago, and I never felt I really grasped it.

I'm really interested in a system that will allow me more time to focus on worldbuilding and including my players interests into the game without having to spend more than a minute to determine the outcome of rolls. I'll be the first to say that I may just be inexperienced...I've only DM'd about four sessions of P&P, and two of those were with SR E3.
>>
>>46212168
GURPS. You won't regret it.
>>
File: 1457102638636.jpg (125 KB, 625x939) Image search: [Google]
1457102638636.jpg
125 KB, 625x939
Could an anon please tell me the name of that system where you get spendable bonus points for adding cool shit onto your actions? It's pretty light, typically involves a lot of crazy John Woo shit.
>>
>>46212168
Simple D6
>>
Honestly, 4th edition with the character creator slapped on it. That thing is worth the 10 bucks a month. Plus you can share it with your players, use the database for every single skill, item, monster, trap, weapon, etc instead of having to have ten books open.

Also, probably gonna' get called a troll but Shadowrun's core mechanics (Dice Pool of D6s, 5 and 6s are hits) are super cool and easy to get into to. Accuracy, Hacking and Magic are where things start to fall apart.
>>
>>46217597
this.
another one i recomend is 2 hour dungeon crawl, mini six and avoid this >>46214806 at all cost.
>>
>>46217597
Correct
>>
File: barbarians of lemuria spiel.png (96 KB, 869x425) Image search: [Google]
barbarians of lemuria spiel.png
96 KB, 869x425
>>46212168
>What would you consider the most accessible of all pen & paper rulesets?
You kind of have to specify a category. There a plenty of one-page deals out there are much easier to learn than any full-length game. And then there are games that are a half dozen pages, and some that are maybe a score. So there really is no definite answer. And once you get into full length RPGs, there's stuff like pic related.
>>
>>46212946
3rding
>>
>>46217613
>shilling shit edition and a payed character creator so hard
>>
File: DnDBasic.jpg (146 KB, 600x777) Image search: [Google]
DnDBasic.jpg
146 KB, 600x777
>>46212946
While I do think that 5e is a step in the right direction, and simplified compared to its immediate predecessors (particularly the overwrought third edition), it's worth mentioning that it's still not by any stretch of the imagination rules-light. As somebody who cut his teeth on Moldvay Basic, which is a grand total of 128 for everything, including monsters and treasure (whereas 5e's three core books combine to well over 900 pages), I was a bit disappointed with how involved 5e is. I say this mainly because D&D is a gateway game, and the first exposure folks have to role-playing should, I think, err on the side of simplicity. Basic D&D is, of course, wonky in an old school way, and probably needs an update to appeal to today's gamers, and aside from employing a universal mechanic, that probably means including more character options. That, in turn, probably means significantly increasing it's length, but not by more than 50%, which would put its page count at 192, still a third less than the Player's Handbook, which is the shortest of 5e's three core books.

Moldvay/Cook Basic:
Basic Set -- http://www.4shared.com/office/T5OnHAlMce/1011b_dd_basic_rules__moldvay_.html
Expert Set -- http://www.4shared.com/office/fCvOLachce/1012A_DD_Expert_Rules__Cook_.html
>>
>>46213686
Apocalypse World, then.
Now available in non-D&D fantasy.
>>
>>46212168
Risus
>>
>>46217575
Feng Shui?
>>
>>46217575
I think it was Pulp-Fu
>>
>>46212168
Paranoia. If you give your players a 1-minute spiel about security clearances, how The Computer is their friend, how commie mutants are treason, and how it's their job to find trouble and shoot it, they form a pretty good idea about the game. All you have to do then is throw then in a debriefing room after giving them a one-sentence objective by their secret societies, and in five minutes one clone is gone and the rest start passing you notes like mad and killing each other. It also helps that the rules are clearance ULTRAVIOLET and technically it's treason to know them. I run Pre-Paranoia for a bunch of normies this Sunday and they all had a fucking blast.
>>
>>46213009
muh player
>>
>>46213009

Mostly agree with this.
>>
>>46217575

Sounds like Feng Shui, could also be FATE though. And didn't Shadowrun have a thing like that at some point?
>>
Roll for shoes.

Google it if you don't know.
>>
File: Lasers&Feelings - Core.pdf (1 B, 486x500) Image search: [Google]
Lasers&Feelings - Core.pdf
1 B, 486x500
>>
Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.