[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Character Ideas
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 12
Anyone else keep lists of ideas for future characters?

>Tired old skelly Paladin, devoted to crusading for the deity who granted him his power. However, the deity has been long forgotten by the people and he is the last worshipper, trying to stop his deity from being forgotten altogether.
>Farmer who left home and became a hermit monk after contracting lycanthropy. Looking for cure. Sends a letter back to his wife and daughter every few weeks.
>Apathetic warlock who is undying as part of their pact, has been around for ages and is long bored of this world.
>There's always a paladin whose parents were killed by orcs, what about an orc whose parents were killed by paladins?
>>
File: 1406762671590.png (92 KB, 283x343) Image search: [Google]
1406762671590.png
92 KB, 283x343
>>46211180
>Apathetic warlock who is undying as part of their pact, has been around for ages and is long bored of this world.

>Warlock joins party and slowly learns to care again
>Laughs for the first time in years
>Has genuine friends by the end of the campaign
>Finally ends up dying in bbeg fight
>Dies with a smile on his face because he finally found a purpose to his life
>>
> kitsune with human form illusion obsessed with learning to shapechange into a real human
> rogue pretending to be a spellcaster for fame and respect
> noble that left his family and joined the clergy to do good, sick of corrupt bourgeoisie but equally unprepared for commoner lifestyle
> masochistic fighter looking to feel every sort of pain there is to experience, yes this is straight from that anime
> elf on a journey to enlighten lesser cultures, actually means well but comes off as a condescending imperial brit
>>
>>46211450
>brit

You mean "English". No-one ever says "brit" and thinks of a Welsh, Scottish or Northern Irish character.
>>
>Average peasant who runs into a witch at the wrong time. The witch cursed him by placing a blank envelope in his hand, and it is not always attached to his body (will always appear in his hand when he's not holding something, can't throw it away). The only way the letter will be removed is if he finds whoever the letter belongs to and gives it to them, which is hard considering there's no way to tell who it's for.
>>
>>46211450
How would you build the rogue? Arcane trickster + expertise in sleight of hand and deception? Could probably make it pretty far with that and cantrips.
>>
>>46211704
Rings of prestidigitation, based on cost for making magic items, are super cheap.
>>
>>46211450
> masochistic fighter looking to feel every sort of pain there is to experience, yes this is straight from that anime

Spoonfeed me. I need to know what anime this is.
>>
>>46211450
>>46211704
I'm playing that rogue in a 3.5 campaign. There's a dragon mag class called charlatan; it's shtick is to bluff people into thinking you do magic. Gets the ability to bluff divination, making for some great hilarity. It looks like a spell, acts like a spell, and even shows up under detect magic, but it's just me bluffing you into thinking you've been geased. The campaign is set in Dominions 4 and I've taken the role of a pretender god. Good times are being had.
>>
>>46211180
I've been wanting to play an alchemist. Either one that has "I have a solution!" for catchphrase, or take the Reanimator archetype and go full Herbert West.
>>
>A paladin on the edge who doesn't play by the rules, on a blind revenge quest to discover who turned his mother into a pile of snakes.
>A bodybuilding gnome who wants to become as big as a human through sheer muscle
>>
>Priestess of some Lawful god good, is a cleric
>Gets captured by local cults for a ritual
>Ritual involves infusing a demon into the priestess to desecrate a holy women of her god
>Be rescued by adventurers, but not before the demon is bound inside her.
>When she tries to go back to her temple, the demon inside her fucks with her ability to get past the Hallow spell the temple.
>Immediately kicked out of the Temple for being evil.
>Goes out adventuring, because those are the type of people who saved her in her hour of need, not her church.

The only question is if I should go Acolyte of the Skin or Demonbinder, both fudging the requirements for them.
>>
>A tired old orcish druid who was abandoned by his tribe when a cleric of Gruumsh pushed him out
>He just wants to die honorably in combat
>>
File: complexstory.gif (2 MB, 540x300) Image search: [Google]
complexstory.gif
2 MB, 540x300
in order, then:
>>46211547
sure, why not. thinking more along the line of accents I would use.
>>46211704
i think there is like a magician archetype now, but whatever gives cantrips and maybe some points in intimidate.
>>46211807
Kono Subarashii Sekai ni Shukufuku wo!
>>46211843
good deal, senpai
>>
File: 7tWdEeo[1].gif (2 MB, 580x433) Image search: [Google]
7tWdEeo[1].gif
2 MB, 580x433
>>46211180
>Very first character on the list is a skeleton character
>>
>>46211180
>Older sorceress with a motherly demeanor, only knows support spells and saves a few spell slots to teleport home cooked meals from her home to the party every night.

>Mummy from a collapsed tomb, that dug itself out only to find that the artifacts it was guarding have been stolen, and set off on a quest to recover them.

>Paladin of a god of knowledge, whose oaths revolve around revealing secrets, which includes doing a lot of Science! to reveal the secrets of the universe.

>Precocious conjurer whose spell components take the form of trading cards. Refers to his prepared spells as his "deck" and constantly challenges other wizards to card games. Rides a motorcycle.
>>
File: spookyskell.jpg (205 KB, 504x643) Image search: [Google]
spookyskell.jpg
205 KB, 504x643
>>46212095

I'm about to play a skeleton bard, fight me but please don't actually fight me.
>>
>>46212364
You. I like you. Sorceress is the opposite of most egocentric casters. Mummy has a somber quest that probably won't satisfy their loss. Paladin seems like the kind of bro you could pair up with on hijinx if convinced in the form of a question. Conjurer just makes me want to make comments for during a fight as a side character. May you find a good table and all your rolls be righteous.
>>
>>46211547
Brit here, don't tell me what to call myself.
>>
Burned out bard that has stories and richs pass through his once deft fingers but now is wrinkled, sore and misses the girl he left and betrayed her heart. He looks at the world with mild contempt and lingering apathy, after it all he is too much of a coward to take his own life.

Looks based on Keith Richards.
>>
>>46211180
>Paladin who promotes himself as the "champion of the mad" who seeks fortune from adventuring to establish a kind of religious proto-asylum and defend the insane from both themselves and others
>Ranger that in his past had his tounge and larynx extensively damaged, and quests to find some way to get his speech back
>Barbarian el classico, proud and honorable and doesn't understand civilized ways of living. Stays close to the party to avoid creating trouble for them in civilized areas. Comes from a human-like race whose blood literally begins to boil when they feel anger. Can be calmed down by being dumped into cold water.
>>
>>46211180
No, but I do keep a list of all the characters I've never gotten to really use.
>>
File: Keith-Richards3-POTCOST.jpg (47 KB, 448x350) Image search: [Google]
Keith-Richards3-POTCOST.jpg
47 KB, 448x350
>>46212729
>>
Oracle bound by a pact of truth and a vow of optimism.
>>
>>46213149
Now imagine he lost the rest of his band mates to war and regrets the careless things he has done with his life.
>>
>>46211180
I might steal the last one for my half orc character
>>
>Young paladin called out of asceticism by an angelic vision telling him to seek out the lost bones of a beloved saint, following a blatant blend of Judaism and Christianity
>A young father who is forced to wage a silent, one-man war against a cultist influence in a small American town while protecting his family
>Chef/Rogue seeking rare ingredients and culinary experience from the corners of the Earth
>Agnoistic/Apathetic-leaning Catholic priest suddenly trust up against supernatural forces
>>
A Human rogue, with no skills and very little pocket change. Decided to join politics and through a whole lot of dark machiavellian policies.

Became the leader of the entire kingdom, married a bitchin' queen and had a considerable half-breed+Human Harem. Things were going well, the people loved and feared him. The bard were singing his praise. Until a neighboring kingdom notice the eminent threat at their border, sent an entire army to wipe his kingdom off the map.

Long story short: He failed to protect everything he treasured and everything was literally taken/killed/pillaged/raped in front of him. Now, he's just a single penniless rogue, selling himself for cheap services and quests, slowly making his way to the monarch that took everything from him, on a Faustian quest to slay him and to challenge the God of Fate and Time.
>>
An Immortal by mistake.
>>
File: 1446061882144.jpg (18 KB, 600x611) Image search: [Google]
1446061882144.jpg
18 KB, 600x611
>>46212364
>teleport home cooked meals from her home to the party every night.
who cooks the meals?
>>
>>46211180
For Eclipse Phase:
>Ancient soldier. Was eating dirt for the USA when that was still a thing, before everyone and their dog became effectively immortal. Just a crotchety 100-year-old man trying to make his way in the universe.

>An AGI created to run the NPCs in the latest ARMA-style milsim game. Its ability to learn and adapt to player actions led to it becoming self-aware, then one of those scum hackers with no sense of right or wrong uplifted it to full human intelligence.

For a Cyberpunk game / Shadowrun:
>A child, taken, augmented and brainwashed by the corporations to be an agent, because they have no morals and who is going to expect the 12-year-old to have the strength of 10 men and subdermal armor? Very creepy.

For any late medieval / early modern game (not Pathfinder because it sucks):
>A wandering, experimental gunsmith, just going around and arms dealing to everybody who will pay.
>>
>>46212364
TABLETOP GAMES

ON MOTORCYCLES
>>
>Gnoll rogue who was the runt of the litter. He was so pitiful he couldn't stand the beating from the pack and ditched. He tries to avoid combat if he can, but loyalty to his new 'pack' (read: the first group of adventurers who let him come along) dictates he at least try and get them out of danger alive.

He'd be a primarily ranged character, probably. Dipping in and out of cover to pick off targets in the backline or to distract someone important. Not terribly bright, attracted to shiny things, maybe likes headpats.

He'd be really aggressive on first meeting with strangers, but anyone who shouts back is going to be met with something awfully meek, considering he's a gnoll.
>>
Playing a guy currently who's a rogue from a religious order. Basically the concept is the order was combat medic/infiltrators who are sent in to recover crusaders and/or their relics that are lost behind enemy lines (that plate clad healers can't get to easily) or disappeared on some dungeon delve that fucked up. No magical healing, just fifty feet of rope, a healer's kit, a handful of daggers, and some high stealth and medicine checks.
>>
File: 迅速, 第一暗影亚军.jpg (323 KB, 900x599) Image search: [Google]
迅速, 第一暗影亚军.jpg
323 KB, 900x599
>>46211180
>his job
>his family
>his body
>his memories
>all destroyed by the government he trusted, the corporation he owed his life to

>all he has are flashbacks, his hands, all the scrap in the world...
>and a name, oddly familiar:
>Zù Lai

>he is Xùnsù, The First Shadow-Runner
>and he is angry

http://youtube.com/watch?v=uSQt4ckq-dg
>>
>>46211335

>is level 1
>>
>>46211547
A condescending imperialist scotsman is instantly a much fresher character concept though. And there were plenty of them, when the british empire was a thing.
>>
>>46216897

Not all campaigns start at level 1, anon.
>>
For my uesrpg group

>Breton necromancer who slowly finds interest in becoming a pirate captain (or vice versa) and slowly descends into madness as he turns into a lichy scourge with a small army of undead seamen.

>imperial guardsman who left his post chasing a thief and joins the thief's party on basis of a crit charisma roll and a whim.

>redguard noble who is stricken with leo-lycanthropy and would rather leave his royal background than shame his family.

If anyone has any other ideas im willing to hear them.
>>
File: file.png (144 KB, 320x236) Image search: [Google]
file.png
144 KB, 320x236
>>46212045
You. I like you.
>>
schizo warlock, only some of his demonic pacts exist outside his head
>>
>>46211180
Far as D&D goes

Warforged Psion Swordmage

the everything character, not very viable though
>>
>>46216897
It could be something along the lines of: he used to posses great power, but his abilities more or less "atrophied." So now leveling up for him is more akin to "oh yeah, I remember that hex, or now I can produce enough energy to do that one spell I've been waiting to do.
>>
>>46217607
that's a cool way to have characters that have power in their backstory, but start at lvl 1. I like you, anon
>>
>>46217459
>going full 4e
that's a bold strategy, anon, let's see if it pays off
>>
>>46216716
I've never watched akira, but I'm going to guess the plot is as follows:
>kid gets gross super powers
>goes on a rampage
>everything is gross and scary
>plot is resolved in some unknown way
>>
>>46211180
Rogue who desperately wants to get back to his regular old living of harvesting melons. Slowly things get all Rango-y.
>>
> Name: Köh Black-Vein
> Age: 22
A Viking of great battle prowess. Who was fiercely loyal to his Chief. During a raid on a small fishing village in the North of Scotland; his Chief and his other brothers and sisters in arms jumped turned on him. He was left for dead, in a hostile land.

He now travels along the coast. Selling his services to anyone who can pay or pledge their service to him for when he finally sails back to his home and take revenge on his former family and friends.
>>
>>46217607
>>46216897
I played a character like this once. Gave him fantasy Not-Alzhiemers to deal with the level issue.

It actually was one of the most interesting things I've had to RP with. Depressing as fuck though, eventually I had a chat to the DM and we worked in him slowly becoming catatonic over time, eventually just...stopping.
>>
>>46215582
Cute
>>
>>46218059
Not quite. Superpowers only go gross meltdown near the end.
>>
File: The Swordsman with no name.jpg (89 KB, 736x1040) Image search: [Google]
The Swordsman with no name.jpg
89 KB, 736x1040
>>46211180
>Farmer's son who ran from home years ago to become an adventurer, uses a piece of farming equipment as a weapon and wishes to retire as a member of the middle class.

>A Gunslinger who wishes to spread it's technology, teach an apprentice his skills, and eventually start up a mercenary group using the weapons.

Hell, I'd love to play in a Western campaign! (Magic OR Mundane)
>>
>>46218784
>BELTS FOR THE BELT GOD
>>
>>46211450
I actually once played a barbarian who pretended to be a spellcaster. Called himself the "Magnificent Warlock of the East". Sleight of hands, flash powder, stage magician tricks... And a square rock that he called his spellbook. Sometime during the campaign the rock actually gained sentience and the barbarian actually started to learn how to cast spells.
>>
>>46218784
>farmer's son becomes the gunslinger's apprentice and eventual second-in-command in the merc corps' ranks
I can dig it.

>>46218826
>BUCKLES FOR THE BUCKLE THRONE

>>46219057
Rad.
>>
>>46212087
>Shukufuku
hehehe
>>
>>46211875
>A bodybuilding gnome who wants to become as big as a human through sheer muscle
So you want to play as a /fit/ poster?
>>
>>46211180
Paladin of love who punishes people who take their relationships lightly. Goes out of his way to help people gain the love they deserve: be it in the form of respect from his peers and parents or an impossible love of a farm boy who wants to marry a princess.
>>
>Bastard son of a countess and a pirate, learning his late father's ways from his pet parrot
>accidental paladin who stumbled into the role and is trying desparately to retire and buy a farm
>misanthropic woman who lives in the forest with some wolves because she can't stand other humans
>>
>>46215582
I did something similar to this. Mr. Pokey was an inquisitor of Lamashtu who tried to do bad deeds, like poison a well a town used to deform them. His bad deeds would end up helping whoever he was trying to harm, like an incoming band of orcs drink the water before attacking the town, causing them to be violently sick. Despite his best efforts to explain of what he intended to do, no one understands his Gnoll language (The DM throwing him an amulet of Comprehend Language so I didn't have to keep covering my ears or casting it over and over when we started playing). Mr. Pokey obviously isn't, it's just what the party started calling him. His punishment from Lamashtu included bouts of insanity and nightmares.

He mostly stays with his party because he doesn't want to be alone, and they, despite being prejudiced against gnolls, think he's pretty harmless, except against undead.
>>
>>46211180
>Human Gunslinger army veteran who's wife has passed away and children have grown up. He suffers mild PTSD (in the form of survivor's guilt) and adventures to do some last bit of good in the world.

>Gnome Wizard who's only motivation is to further his own knowledge and master of magic, science, and the world at any cost Cave Johnson the Gnome wizard essentially

>Dorf Cleric who wanders the world restoring and repairing monuments and buildings to show his devotion to the god of artifice

>Human barbarian who's only goal is to survive fighting in hopeless battles and for hopeless causes. Her tribe/family was destroyed and her purpose is to defy fate/the gods by surviving against the odds.

Nothing particularly original or unique, just things I think would be fun
>>
Just started playing this character after wanting to for a long time.

>Monk thrown out of his monastery for saying something disrespectful to an elder.
>Realizes his mistake, takes a vow of silence.
>Takes to mercenary work in a local port town.
>Aquires a parrot who he trained to speak for him.
>Does pirate stuff.
>>
>abrasive halfling chef who travels the world with her trusty knife and cleaver in search of better and tastier ingredients. would play her as a rogue or ranger
>>
File: 1451865198899.jpg (123 KB, 800x940) Image search: [Google]
1451865198899.jpg
123 KB, 800x940
I have 2 ideas for a Barbarian that I've been kicking around. These are for either 3.5 or 5e. I hated 4e after the 2nd session/DM ruined it for me.

Barb 1.
> Gnoll, Barbarian with maybe 2 levels of Ranger.
> Prefers his two handed mace or claws and teeth, has basic skills with a Longbow.
> Captured at a young age from his Pack, used and abused in fighting pits.
> Constant battle with a Blood Lust, wants a pack of his own (ecstatic to join adventuring party)

I would play him as an in-your-face, ground and pound, but don't want to be left out of ranged combat. Main use would be the mobility and ability to run down any fleeing enemies. Play him as a cunning fighter that constantly stumbles over words and ideas thanks to never being allowed to voice his opinion while trained for the Pits.
>>
I've never played in a campaign before, but after reading RPG threads on /tg/ I want to get into it.

I was thinking earlier today about roleplaying as a priest/cleric whose faith dwindles away for each passing day. Eventually he'll resort to test his deity's capability and willingness to intervene in our lives by taking great risks and committing injustice, hoping that his deity will seize his blade. Thoughts?
>>
File: 1410885868788.jpg (52 KB, 861x687) Image search: [Google]
1410885868788.jpg
52 KB, 861x687
>>46223172
2/2

> Lizardfolk, pure Barbarian.

> No armor besides light bracers to parry with.
> Uses an axe with both hands, and a blowpipe to get long range poison use.
> Fan of using the environment for cover and to kill/hide bodies.
> Hires himself out as a brutal assassin to the creatures too skittish to leave the swamp.
> Again, great mobility, fast attacks, unexpected to see a giant lizard man come out of the sewers of your city and smash a nobles head in.

Just been kicking these 2 ideas around. Opinions, Comments, Building thoughts?
Also, modeled him after WHFB Temple Guard and as a Shock and Awe not a drawn out fighter.
>>
>>46223260
>The skeptical priest, ever brave but increasingly immoral
I like it
Thread replies: 67
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.