[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>The king is always accompanied by this big dude in armor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9
File: Sargon of Akkad.jpg (129 KB, 300x570) Image search: [Google]
Sargon of Akkad.jpg
129 KB, 300x570
>The king is always accompanied by this big dude in armor that covers his whole body.
>The kings father, and his father, and all their fathers as far back as anyone can remember have been accompanied by someone wearing this armor.
>The very first dude added a mask to the armor after he failed to protect his liege from a vampire or lich or demon or some shit.
>It's generally assumed that when the old bodyguard gets too old he passes the armor on to his son or apprentice or whatever.
>Whatever the fuck killed the king that one time comes back, gets into a heated battle with the bodyguard.
>After a particularly vicious blow, part of the armor gets damaged.
>There's nothing but bones beneath.
>"REMEMBER ME, MOTHER FUCKER?!" The Bodyguard roars. "BECAUSE I REMEMBER YOU CLEAR AS DAY!"
Saw this mask in another thread and was inspired. Heroic Undead thread, I guess?
>>
File: 4574574567.jpg (10 KB, 229x220) Image search: [Google]
4574574567.jpg
10 KB, 229x220
>>46209718
>>
>>46209718
was this a change from that thread about the guard protecting the vampire princess on the way to the temple from a crowd?

it all sounds very familar
>>
>>46209718
Hey, it's that YouTube guy.
>>
>>46209994
>the guard protecting the vampire princess on the way to the temple from a crowd
Never heard of it. The thread I got the mask pic from was about the difference between Liches and normal undead.
>>
>>46209718
Behold, 'tis the mask of a cuckold.

Shitposting aside, I like the idea of undead animated by something more benevolent like loyalty, as opposed to dark magics that are an affront to life itself. I might work it in to a campaign, maybe as assistants to the PCs if they end up in an area infested by undead.
>>
>>46209718
What if instead of a good, loyal bodyguard; it was a very patient assassin. Protecting the royal bloodline for generations so it could give birth to his target he was ordained to kill at a specific time and place.
>>
>>46210141
That would be dumb, why wouldn't the person ordering the hit just wipe out the dudes great great great great great granddad/mom instead of pissing time away waiting for some shmuck to be born? Even for a bad guy that could be effectively immortal, Time is still something they'd have to factor in to their crafty evil plots.
>>
>>46210219
Well maybe their crafty evil plot hinges on the existence of that lineage -up until- that point, faget.
>>
>>46210219
Because when the fates tell you "kill Ecks MIIth on their fourth birthday before the sun crests the Moth mountains" you just do it.
>>
>>46210263
>>46210252
But that just comes off as disney tier plot and villainy. If you're a super evil guy with that much time on your hands, you could easily come up with a better way to rule/destroy the world then having to wait for some one to get squirted out during the 8th generation of a family line. You'd have the whole place either conquered or butchered by then according to preference.
>>
>>46210367
>thing does not fit my taste, therefore it is bad

>Disney-tier
>as if that is an insult

Walt was a monster and you know it.
>>
>>46210488
No, I'm not saying it doesn't fit my taste, I'm saying why go to all that trouble when you can just off their forbearer and you wouldn't have to deal with that. I'm thinking about it more in a practical sense. It just doesn't really make sense for someone to go to that length. I mean, really, just... What if the bad guy just offs the great grandpa?

Also I'm not using Disney-tier as an insult, it's pretty good shit, I agree. I'm just saying, we all know what happens to disney villains. They don't win. Ever. If I were a villain I'd personally want to succeed is all.
>>
File: senpai~.png (154 KB, 429x429) Image search: [Google]
senpai~.png
154 KB, 429x429
>>46210141
I recall a tale of a goddess that tried to guide humanity to a certain point in development, such that she could kill everyone in a giant ritual to bring back her beloved. Her priests were well aware of her intentions, considering themselves 'pieces' of her true love that needed to bring about unity such that she could initiate her plan. Evidently live was pretty great under her rule; people were culturally enlightened, healthy, and prosperous under her reign. You know, until something wrong happened and the current batch of humans ended up wrong. Then she just killed most everyone and started again.

Figured a silent guard like that might have been an effective incarnation attempt by her. anyone got the original pasta?
>>
>>46210596
You cannot become a god if you don't sacrifice a certain person.

Because gods are dumb and set up a weirdly specific criteria for it.

And the only reason Disney villains lose is because of supremely convoluted plot shenanigans. Like the hero simply couldn't win in 90% of Disney scenarios if it wasn't for stupid shit that wouldn't actually work because the villain would preempt it.
>>
>>46210062
It is indeed that youtube guy.
>>
>>46210596
It's like you have no imagination.
>wait until the noble line amasses generations' worth of wealth before usurping them, saving you all the work
>ritual requires the blood of a great noble of a particular lineage, but the sacrifice must be made during a cosmic event that only occurs every 200-some odd years
>the existence of the noble lineage benefits you, but the prophecy foretold that particular inheritor of the bloodline would bring about your downfall
And so on.
>>
>>46210654
What if he doesn't want to become a god though? What if he just wants to like, rule the country or something. Not even the world, he just wants to be king now. It just seems odd to think that if a prophesy told the BBEG to "watch out for this guy who'll be born four generations from now" why wouldn't he immediately jump to "Well I guess I'm killing that guys great great grandfather" and like, have him stabbed or something.

I would say the reason Disney villains lose is because they come up with shitty plans that have too many loopholes or loose ends. The only one that was moderately well thought out was Scar's from the Lion King. He assassinates his brother, in a way that it totally looks like an accident/kids fault, and just takes over. Plot armour is the only thing that saves Simba (I understand the irony of arguing "plot armour" in a disney movie). Otherwise, totally a good plan compared to all the rest.
>>
>>46210888
>What if he doesn't want to become a god though?

Then he wouldn't care about waiting.

The point is he -does- want to be, hence why he isn't just killing their ancestor.

Jesus fuck, anon.

Also, that one movie with frogs in New Orleans, that whole bit at the end where the chick just lolnopes the shadow and smashes the talisman, no, that wouldn't happen. Ever.
>>
>>46210596

The way I see it is you're working with a villain that instead of being stupid is actually quite genre savvy. Sure it would be practical to off the dude's great great great grandfather but we're dealing with prophecy here and any time you try to weasel your way around one of those it always comes back to bite you in the ass. It would actually be pretty funny for the undead assassin to know logically how fucking stupid is job is protecting this royal line but god damn it the gypsy lady said that he had to be on this hill at this time on this kids birthday and that's just the way it has to go.
>>
>>46210880
No, in all of those instances it can make sense. I was responding to the original "make sure you kill x on y at z" I mean, as far as prophesies go, that's super vague. Like, they usually give you at least an even vaguer meaning to the result of the action. But if all you get is "what out for x" then yeah, I'd freakin off that dudes grandpappy the next day.
>>
>>46210964
You're really hung up on a lost argument right now.
>>
>>46210954
>>46210956
I mean look guys, I...Really hope I'm not coming off as if I'm complaining. I'm just generally curious and I'd just like to talk this out. I'm glad people are humouring me with conversation.

I mean again, I agree, if the BBEG WANTED to become a god and that means he has to follow silly steps to do so, sure, fine. But the original statement was merely "kill x on y at z" No explanation on what would happen. Prophesies usually at least hint to the result, right? Just seems impractical is all.

>>46210954
I never saw that one, so I'm not exactly sure how to respond to your comment.
>>
>>46211083
Are you actually retarded?
>>
>>46211132
Nope.
>>
File: 1358761753010.png (209 KB, 1093x1874) Image search: [Google]
1358761753010.png
209 KB, 1093x1874
>>46210614
Is it this one ?
>>
>>46211291
Not the anon you're responding too, but that fits the bill pretty well.
>>
>>46211291
Also not that anon, but that's it.
What about that thing with the vampire princess? First time I've heard of it.
>>
>>46211291
thanks, senpai!
>>
File: 1451422681450.jpg (2 MB, 1634x4495) Image search: [Google]
1451422681450.jpg
2 MB, 1634x4495
>>46211490
While I'm at it...
>>
>>46209994
That sounds like an interesting story. Anyone have a screencap?
>>
>>46211684
Uh...
>>46211602
>>
>>46210596
They're playing the long game.

Kill the beloved king today and his people will remember him a martyr for centuries. His words will be set in the stone of his monuments and heeded forever.
Spend two hundred years guiding, influencing, and defending the increasingly decadent and tyrannical line of kings until they're nothing more than a linchpin of terror holding their legions in line, and when you finally kill him the nation will crumble. Now not only is the nation headless, but the competition is scattered and resistance to "substantial policy changes" is null.
This way, you can lay your foundations RIGHT.
>>
File: 1725544-miang0998.jpg (11 KB, 320x264) Image search: [Google]
1725544-miang0998.jpg
11 KB, 320x264
>>46210614

Sounds familiar sans the enlightened rulership
>>
>>46209718
I like it.
>>
>>46211602
>tfw "not a love interest"

>married

One job.
>>
File: life is bearable.png (143 KB, 1884x829) Image search: [Google]
life is bearable.png
143 KB, 1884x829
>>
>>46209718
Oh, so that's why Sargon's new fanart avatar has the left eye missing. Always wondered about that.
>>
>>46209718
BASED SARGON

EMPEROR OF YOUTUBE
CONQOUROR OF TWITTER
SLAYER OF TUMBLRITES
>>
>>46211701
Yeah, I have a bad habit of posting as I read the thread instead of reading the whole thing. If I don't see something as one of the replies to the relevant posts my comments can end up redundant.
>>
File: Classic_blunders.png (37 KB, 1344x174) Image search: [Google]
Classic_blunders.png
37 KB, 1344x174
>>46212260
>>46212289
>TFW you realize you've made one of the classic blunders
>>
>>46211083
>Prophesies usually at least hint to the result, right?
No, prophecies are fucking famous for telling you a bunch of useless shit tangentially or metaphorically related to what's actually written.
>>
>>46211602
Damn it, I wish I had been in this thread so I could have saved it in its entirety as an html archive. This shit is right up my alley.
>>
>>46214784
I'm pretty sure you can find it on Desustorage.
>>
File: 1423729906254.jpg (158 KB, 640x965) Image search: [Google]
1423729906254.jpg
158 KB, 640x965
>>46209718
I love this concept, how would you guys play this? I know undead are OP in D&D but I could just treat him as a human up until the true identity reveal
>>
>>46219590
Treat it as a possessed suit of armor with a skeleton inside.

Damage is done to both AC and HP
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 9

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.