[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Dunno if anyone here LARPs seriously, but I want a suit of armor
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3
File: battle bishop.jpg (81 KB, 470x700) Image search: [Google]
battle bishop.jpg
81 KB, 470x700
Dunno if anyone here LARPs seriously, but I want a suit of armor approximating this one for burning man

What ballpark am I looking at for price? I'm willing to cut corners if it means saving a lot of $
>>
I would personally say three to five thousand if you want a whole set of decent fitted plate, I might be off by a bit doe.
>>
>>46208316
well that's a lot of fucking money
>>
>>46208337
What do you expect, a full suit of armor was one fourth of what it took to be the biggest badass at the beach for roughly 5 centuries.

They're expensive.
>>
>>46208368
any ideas for cost cutting? Ill drop 1000
>>
>>46208256
>suit of armor
>in the middle of the fucking desert
you are coign to cook, son
>>
>>46208391
>Ill drop 1000
>I want a suit of armor approximating this one for burning man

You're talking something that is solid weeks and weeks of work, with material costs in the hundreds.

$1,000?

Dude, that's a joke. You can afford like half an ill-fitting suit from a costume store.
>>
>I want to hang out in the desert high on weed for three days while dressed as a knight
Just go full crusades and head to the Middle East.
>>
>>46208507
>>46208557
nah it's gonna be great
>>
Assuming you live in Southern California, because if you don't fuck off.

But if you do: you cannot afford what you are looking for, for $1000. You cannot even come close, no matter how many corners you cut.

What you CAN do is drive down to 2nd in Long Beach, and rent one. The shops that supply Hollywood are there, and they absolutely rend for private parties.
>>
>>46208886
why would you assume someone online lived in southern california?
>>
>>46208913
Cuz about half the people at burning man are from LA.
>>
>>46208522
>You're talking something that is solid weeks and weeks of work, with material costs in the hundreds.
>$1,000?
Outsource the work in China?
>>
NORMIE SCUM GET OUT REEEEE
>>
>>46208941
are there any rental shops of such a caliber in other major metro areas?
>>
>>46209283
No idea, but prolly. I would imagine more expensive, though. There aren't all that many cities where a community exists that produces a large surplus of suits of armor.
>>
LARPer here. For pic related, $5,000 minimum. There are no two ways about it.
>>
File: 1458637090149.png (16 KB, 746x982) Image search: [Google]
1458637090149.png
16 KB, 746x982
>>46209011
this desu
>>
>>46208256
Depending on how many corners you want to cut, you could probably do something for like $500. That's if you just go with a breastplate, pauldrons, the helm, and then maybe some cheap bracers or greaves. A quick google romp turned up this site: http://www.swordsoftheforge.com/

So you're looking at about $100 for breastplate, $100 for pauldrons, maybe $50 for bracers and another $50 for greaves, and whopping $150 or so for the helm and that's without the fake crest you'd have to get someone to weld onto it.
>>
>>46208256
Anon with $1,000 you can only go with some shoddy crusader armor.
>>
There are easier ways to get into the orgy tent than collapsing from heatstroke outside of it.
>>
>>46208256
>Full body metal armor
>Burning Man.

Are you ignorant, or just stupid?
>>
>>46210240
Keep in mind that unfitted armor isn't very comfortable, especially for legs and arms.
>>
>>46212542
We're talking about a party costume, not some larper's haute couture full plate. The legs and arms will be just fine, assuming you're of roughly average size. The breastplate might look like pretty silly if it's not the proper size, and the helm could range from blocking your vision, to not fitting on your noggin at all. However, these are the kinds of jumps between the $500 costume, the $2,500 statue piece, and the $6,000 dollar custom crafted battle set.
>>
>>46208256
http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/c-61-functional-full-suits-of-armour.aspx

2'500 to 10'000
>>
ChimericalDragonfly on Etsy could probably do something decent for about CAD 1500.

So about 1150 American.
>>
>>46208256
If you want to do it for 1k you could make it yourself... this said it would take time, talent and equipment.
>>
File: 1279407072679.jpg (361 KB, 552x800) Image search: [Google]
1279407072679.jpg
361 KB, 552x800
>>46208256
alright so just to give you some more insightful answer.

Price will heavily depend on a few things like:
- how fast you want it to be made (we are talking from right now to it can wait a year or more and anything inbetween)
- does it have to be proper thickness as ye olden armor or you don't need it to actually stop blades and could be thinner
- how close you want it to be look like that.
etc

what I can tell you right now that the arm parts are mostly bought from a larpshop and the tassets too, although the guy gave a little painting and whatnot here and there.
Helm is probably a from the shop one too but heavily modified.
I'm not sure about the gauntlets but right now from the top of my head I can't remember if any larpshop sells something like that. Which means he either got it from some other kind of armor shop or from reenactors secondhand or from a blacksmith.
Same thing with the breastplate

Problem with larpshops that they usually sell ill fitting stuff way too overpriced.
If you want to get it cheap order it from some eastern european blacksmith, that will be the cheapest but probably take the longest time.
Then you can look around in local reenactment and SCA groups to get second hand stuff that is similar to this.
Or look up a local blacksmith but if you live in the US than you can scratch this off.

Anyway, it's not impossible to get this setup from 1000 usd but it's highly unlikely, would take a lot of time and you would be a lot of modifying
>>
You won't look cool walking around a desert with metal plates covering your body.
>>
>>46208522
if he's willing to not have real metal armour he can probably do it out of foam, latex and paint for under that. still going to be a lot of work though.
>>
Just get some chainmail and a nice surcoat. Nothing beats crusader fashion.

Still gonna cost money but it beats he shit out of full fitted plate, plus chainmail is easier to wear.
>>
>>46219080
This guy knows what's up.

You can get a mail shirt for like 200 bucks, and then buy a gambeson, a helmet, and maybe some arm/leg protection (maybe even a breastplate). Then go to your local tailor and buy a surcoat. 1000$ it is.
>>
http://www.darkknightarmoury.com/p-12049-48-inch-soldier-grade-mail-shirt.aspx
Chainmail: 120$ Those guys are even selling titanium armor, the absolute madmen.
Brigandine: 170$
Chainmail coif (or aventail): 50-100$
Crusades era helmet: 185$
Surcoat or tabard about: 20-50$
Purging saracen scum: invaluable

And this is just the first link on google.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhhDbaah9DQ
>>
>>46208391
You could probably do it, sans the um... gloves w/e you call them, for about $1000. It wouldn't look near as nice, or be well fitted or made, but it's doable, actually pretty easy. You just need some scrap metal and one of those metal forming vice thingies... that are basically a wheel and a clamp.
I'd take the thread average for an average suit and expect to drop $2500 for a nice costume level suit.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.