[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
KANT-O-CELLE QUEST: AFTER THE TRAGEDY...
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /tg/ - Traditional Games

Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 140
File: 1458060211589.jpg (161 KB, 794x482) Image search: [Google]
1458060211589.jpg
161 KB, 794x482
TWITTER: twitter.com/planefag
ARCHIVES: http://suptg.thisisnotatrueending.com/archive.html?tags=kant-o-celle_quest
ARCHIVES THAT ARE A HELL OF A LOT EASIER TO READ: https://forums.spacebattles.com/threads/kant-o-celle-quest-a-kantai-collection-game-transcribed-from-4chan.345865/
“How'd you get burned, anyway?”

You look down at the young man who's carefully re-wrapping your arms loosely with gauze, the fresh coat of antiseptic ointment still cool on your skin. You fix the poor orderly with a cold, flat stare.

“I hugged the flaming ghost-corpse of my dead Executive Officer in a nightmare.”

The young man pauses mid-wrapping, his face splitting into a grin. “Duuude, SPOOKY!” His tone rings with frank approval.

Despite everything, you can't help but laugh. “Yeah, I suppose so.”

The nurse finishes wrapping your arms. “Okay, move about.” You oblige. “Yeah, that should stay for today.” He tidies up as you shrug your khaki shirt back on, relieved to find your shirtsleeves are no longer rubbing your tender, reddened skin too much. “Your chart says you're on Vicodin. You take that yet today?”

You nod - after spending the night duct-taped to a folding table in the CIC, you were in no shape to forgo them. “I'll get used to it in a few days, I guess.”

“Should clear up in a week,” the nurse assures you. He claps you on the shoulder, and hustles off - you've no doubt he's got his hands full. The C-5 that returned your girls from Java also bore some of the worst-injured men from the second battle of Sunda Strait; some were sent directly to the best hospitals in Japan via helicopter airlift, and some ended up here. Your sleep - if you could call it that - came late, after an hour or so of sniggering, snarling and muttered maledictions as Goto wrapped up the battle in your stead, managing the retreat.
>>
File: kongou and goto.jpg (194 KB, 480x853) Image search: [Google]
kongou and goto.jpg
194 KB, 480x853
After waking up and hoarsely demanding that someone cut you loose from the goddamn table, you'd had just enough time to hit your apartment for painkillers, a bananna and a fresh outfit before racing to Yokota to meet the incoming C-5. Stretcher after stretcher had been borne out first, quiet, sedated men swaddled in gauze being rushed to waiting choppers. Then had come your warriors, quiet and withdrawn, and lastly, lurking in the shadowed back of the cavernous aircraft, huddled over her silent charge...

Naka.

Your phone buzzes insistently. Slipping it from your pocket, you see Goto's name flashing at the top of the screen, followed by his missive -

“HELP.”

You contemplate that thoughtfully, then type out an interrogative.

“Kongou or Essex?”

Bzzzzz. “YES.”

You chuckle despite yourself.

[ ] GOTO CALLS FOR AID, AND RADM. WILL ANSWER
[ ] Aw is mister make-you-command-every-battle in a pinch? How *tragic.* Go check up on the chuunibotes - they looked to be in rough shape the last time you saw.
[ ] Do something else entirely. [Write-in.]
>>
>>46207846
>[ ] GOTO CALLS FOR AID, AND RADM. WILL ANSWER

Oh god, what fresh hell is this? Better stop the meme-boat from causing another international incident.
>>
>>46207846
Hmmmmm...

Let's go for FULL MEDICAL HORROR.

>[X] Aw is mister make-you-command-every-battle in a pinch? How *tragic.* Go check up on the chuunibotes - they looked to be in rough shape the last time you saw.
>>
>>46207838
>>46207846
Wait. Burns. Wat? I am too tired for this puzzle.
>>
>>46207846
>[ ] Aw is mister make-you-command-every-battle in a pinch? How *tragic.* Go check up on the chuunibotes - they looked to be in rough shape the last time you saw.
>>
File: shimakaze turrets.jpg (181 KB, 850x601) Image search: [Google]
shimakaze turrets.jpg
181 KB, 850x601
>>46207846
>[x] GOTO CALLS FOR AID, AND RADM. WILL ANSWER
Goto is our bro. Bros before hoes.
>>
File: 99% Essex.png (524 KB, 669x893) Image search: [Google]
99% Essex.png
524 KB, 669x893
I want to meet Essex finally. It's been too long.
>>
>>46207846
>>
>>46207846
I wanted to get straight to the body horror shit, but the LotR reference is too nice to pass up.
>>
>>46207846
>[ ] Aw is mister make-you-command-every-battle in a pinch? How *tragic.* Go check up on the chuunibotes - they looked to be in rough shape the last time you saw.
He's a big boy.
>>
>>46207846
>Tell him to sic Kaga on her, and start a betting pool.
We can't leave Naka without supervision, and we sure as fuck can't skip out on our wounded. Not after Arizona and Kongou and Naka.
>>46207838
>The psychic attack actually burned us
That is pretty spooky
>>
>>46207846

We must check in with our chuunibotes!
>>
>>46207846
>[x] Aw is mister make-you-command-every-battle in a pinch? How *tragic.* Go check up on the chuunibotes - they looked to be in rough shape the last time you saw.

Let's get the worst over with (inb4 Planefag has something even worse because he's thirsty)
>>
>>46207846
>>
[X] GOTO CALLS FOR AID, AND RADM. WILL ANSWER
>>
>>46207846
>[X] GOTO CALLS FOR AID, AND RADM. WILL ANSWER

>“Kongou or Essex?”
>Bzzzzz. “YES.”
What's worse than one hyperactive capital shipgirl? Two of them.
>>
>>46207846
[x] Aw is mister make-you-command-every-battle in a pinch? How *tragic.* Go check up on the chuunibotes - they looked to be in rough shape the last time you saw.

Goto can take care of himself, or better learn to because we aren't his Kongo-wrangler.
>>
>>46207838
>18:58:13

PLANEFAG WAS EARLY

THE END IS NIGH
>>
>People not voting to see Goto
Our cute chuunibotes will still be there in the hospital, dock, or whatever.

The funnies with Essex and Kongou might not.

>>46207948
>That is pretty spooky
Well at least we have proof that Settle is not JUST crazy, but is haunted too.
>>
File: [REVVING INTENSIFIES].png (215 KB, 500x322) Image search: [Google]
[REVVING INTENSIFIES].png
215 KB, 500x322
>>46207909
>The abyssal screams in reply, and suddenly a vision is blooming before your eyes - the face of your XO, his flesh on fire, eyeballs melting from his sockets as he reaches his melting hands for you, fat sizzling and popping as he burns and burns and burns.
>You reach out and grab his shoulders, pulling him closer, feeling the flames bite your hands and sear your body as they begin to cook you alive. You hug the monstrosity to your chest, even as it bites into your shoulder and begins to *chew.*
>>
>>46207846
>>
>>46207846
So is Kongo three times as Admiral-Sexual as Kongo, because then she truly would be the weapon to surpass the Dess.
>>
>>46207846
>[ ] Do something else entirely. [Write-in.]
Text back "I'll be there in 60, tops," plus a URL for trollface.jpg
>>
>>46207846

[X] Aw is mister make-you-command-every-battle in a pinch? How *tragic.* Go check up on the chuunibotes - they looked to be in rough shape the last time you saw.

As wise as it might be to go to Goto and stop Essex from hurling more fecal matter at a wind projection device, the wounded are more of a pressing matter at hand.

>Bring DesDiv6 with you.
>>
>>46207988
Essex, I meant Essex. I'm taking a test at the same time as this.
>>
>>46207846
>>
>>46207846
>>
>>46207846
As much as I love cunnibotes, let's get some Membote action going on here.
>>
>>46207952
Oh, don't worry, it's only going DOWN from here.
>>
>>46207846
>>
I really want to do the fun thing, but we have more important shit to deal with.

[X] Aw is mister make-you-command-every-battle in a pinch? How *tragic.* Go check up on the chuunibotes - they looked to be in rough shape the last time you saw.
>>
>>46207846
>>
>>46207846
>[X] Aw is mister make-you-command-every-battle in a pinch? How *tragic.* Go check up on the chuunibotes - they looked to be in rough shape the last time you saw.
>>
>>46207846
[ ] Aw is mister make-you-command-every-battle in a pinch? How *tragic.* Go check up on the chuunibotes - they looked to be in rough shape the last time you saw.
>>
File: 1440632553897.png (157 KB, 650x667) Image search: [Google]
1440632553897.png
157 KB, 650x667
>>46207846
I need to turn this into an actual 'the most exciting time of the day has come' image
>>
File: abyssal naka casual.png (662 KB, 546x900) Image search: [Google]
abyssal naka casual.png
662 KB, 546x900
YOUR NEW NAKA
>>
>>46207978
>Essex
>Funny

That and people want to get the painful stuff over with before the fun.
>>
>>46207846

IT'S BULLYING TIME
>>
>>46207846

FOR GONDOR... Errr.. I mean... Goto?
>>
>>46207945
For you.
>>
>>46207846

Tempted as I am by option 2, Gotos done right by us. Go bail him out.
>>
>>46207846
>[x] GOTO CALLS FOR AID, AND RADM. WILL ANSWER
>>
>>46207846
>[x] Aw is mister make-you-command-every-battle in a pinch? How *tragic.* Go check up on the chuunibotes - they looked to be in rough shape the last time you saw.
>>
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_4f65bsPdn4
>>
>>46208063
Harder is almost certain to approve her... "guns" having been upgraded.
>>
>>46207846
>>46207978
I don't want 'funnies' right now tho, I want to watch the cost of everything we pulled off.
>>
>>46207846
>>
>>46207846
We slightly owe him for wrapping up the battle.
>>
>>46208094
I don't think so; not sure how he'd feel with everything's that happened. But not everyone is fixated on that matter.
>>
>>46207979
Ah. I missed that last thread.
>>
>>46207846
>>
>>46208092
Lexington was fucking massive, Jesus Christ.
>>
>>46207846
>>
>>46207846
[ X ] GOTO CALLS FOR AID, AND RADM. WILL ANSWER

Will there even be a Goto to visit later if we leave him at their mercy?
>>
>>46207846
>>
>taking real soldiers/sailors anywhere in KanColle
Boatsluts on the water.
Fairies in the air.
And now, fairies on the land.

The age of men is over. Embrace the age of cute.

P.S. Land bases 'soon'
>>
>>
>>46208142
Battle cruiser hull. Not a lot of hangar space though.
>>
>>46207846
>>
>>46208111
Well, okay, but last time we ignored what looked like funnies for something serious, it turned out that the PT boats are mutinous little shits that traumatized Shigure and really were being a menace to personnel on the base.

It's quite possible that both options are serious options, and we're just choosing what blows up and bites us in the ass.
>>
>>46208126
Well he didn't freak out when she rescued him, so I'm thinking he's just gonna roll with it. Like Settle said, he had to chose to jump in or not before the battle, and it looks like he jumped in head first.
>>
>>46208184
Sure, it's possible. But checking up on wounded shipgirls is a hell of a lot more consistent with what Settle's done throughout the quest than diverting the dess train, on top of me thinking it's the right thing to do.
>>
File: deep crow.jpg (237 KB, 600x400) Image search: [Google]
deep crow.jpg
237 KB, 600x400
>>46207976
>>
>>46207846
>>
>>46207846
>>
File: 1440640242753.jpg (359 KB, 3075x1865) Image search: [Google]
1440640242753.jpg
359 KB, 3075x1865
>>46208181
I wonder, did anybody float the idea of keeping the massive guns and just bolting the flight deck over the cannons?
>>
>>46208184
This is the beginning of the real shitstorm, anon.

This is where dreams die and hope fails.

>>46208251
See?

This is Sauron laughing as Numenor fell.
>>
>>46208235
I'm not so sure. Goto specifically asked for help, and we've noticed that he's starting to crack under the strain of managing his girls.

Following up on a direct request for help seems like the right thing to do, at least right this second. We can check on the chunnibotes later. (whoever's attending to them is probably busy at the moment. Wouldn't want to get in the way)
>>
>>46208264
Tests on one of the earliest Aircraft carrier conversions, Furious, proved that to be a really dumb idea very early on.
>>
>>46208181
>not a lot of Hangar space

Largest internal hangars in the world for nearly 15 years.
>>
>>46208184
Speaking of which, did that gardener get out okay, or did the PT-corgis tear him apart? Last we saw of him, he was hauling ass in a riding lawnmower, which doesn't bode well for his survival.
>>46208291
I thought as much. Let me guess, the recoil?

(Not to mention the concept of a wet-navy 'battlecarrier' is... hilarious, at best.)
>>
>>46208291
Yes, but how do we know it's still a really dumb idea vary LATE on?
>>
>>46208264
That's a bad idea on so many levels, anon.
>>
Kk, votes called, writing~
>>
>>46208320
>I thought as much. Let me guess, the recoil?
More the muzzle blast.

Plus, you're taking a ship that's loaded to the gills with very explosive av-gas and av-ordy and making it sail around where it'll get shot at.

This kills the ship.
>>
File: lex_and_maryland_1942.jpg (89 KB, 744x608) Image search: [Google]
lex_and_maryland_1942.jpg
89 KB, 744x608
>2016
>still no Fat Stack
>>
>>46208320
More like there was no practical arc of fire; the gun couldn't elevate usefully and supports and structure got in the way.

When the Lexingtons tried having 8" turrets on top of the flight deck, blast effects from firing anywhere near the direction of the deck proved... unpleasant.
>>
You know, guys. Damage like this might take the chunniboat sisters a while to repair. And their obsolete as hell. Of all the ships here, only the Kongous are of equal vintage, but the IJN apparently didn't consider cruisers to be as "sexy" as battleships, so the Kongous got the upgrades while Tenryuu and Tatsuya were left to fall behind more and more.

But the two of them are going to be in dock for quite a while, with damage this bad. Time enough to experiment.

Can we give a pair of obsolete kanmusu cruisers the modernizations that history denied their steel hull existences?
>>
>>46208320
Actually, turbulence from the gasses emitted by the gun when it goes off. Makes it very miserable to land or take off. It was pretty much established that if you want to seriously do airpower at sea and have gunpower as well, you needed specialized ships for it, you couldn't just slap a flight deck onto a ship with big guns.
>>
>>46208384
Yeah, like replacing their shitty swords with superior hatchets.
>>
>>46208384
Problem is that they are so small we can't do much to them unless we utterly rebuild them from the keel up.

And how the hell do you do that?
>>
File: Crush the Abyssals.jpg (101 KB, 550x600) Image search: [Google]
Crush the Abyssals.jpg
101 KB, 550x600
>>
>>46208384
You can't really do much in the way of modernization with a hull that small. Basically you can just ad more AA guns.

>>46208380
The blast effect of the 8" guns firing across the deck was negligible and caused no damage to aircraft parked on the deck, as long as they weren't directly in front of the guns.
>>
File: 1438310443118.jpg (80 KB, 493x704) Image search: [Google]
1438310443118.jpg
80 KB, 493x704
I know you guys are all eager beavers to see how fucked up the chuunibotes are, and to start getting all "share the misery" with them, but really, are you all expecting them to be happy to see Settle? Not to mention the fact that, y'know, both of them are probably in critical condition and don't need to be bothered by us on our constant quest to SAVE ALL DA SHIPGIRLS. And yes, I am aware it is too late to be saying this.
>>
>>46208448
We can't give them better AA guns?
>>
>>46207838

I don't care if i'm late.
>>
>>46208420
Well Yuudachi summoned her hull, so if we can get the chuuni's to as well (assuming their even conscious and in any condition to even move a pinky) we could do a refit them eventually.
>>
>>46208448
Someone on the KC wikia mentioned there was a plan to add more AAs to them.
>>
>>46208264

Bu-Ords, is that you?
>>
>>46208420
Eh, there *are* things you can do even within the scope of their older technology.
Put in new Dynamos and you can replace their Type 96 mounts with Phalanx, for example.
>>
>>46208472
>>46208490
>Basically you can just add more AA guns.
>>
>>46207846
>>
File: image.png (521 KB, 800x1000) Image search: [Google]
image.png
521 KB, 800x1000
>>
>>46208448
>Hurrr durr damage to aircraft
That's not what I'm talking about. We've had this shitfight before.

Large guns firing while aircraft operations are taking place produces fuckloads of turbulence from all the blast gases in the air. It's why the 8" battery got swapped for 5" DPs, in addition to the AA increase.
>>
>>46208461
That's part of the fun.

And Goto, no matter how much of a good guy he's been, is no Denethor or Faramir.
>>
>>46208513
If you really wanted to you could probably swap their torpedoes for Harpoons or some shit.
>>
>>46208506
The Phalanx isn't that good for a sustained air assault. Shots it self empty in the first minute then it's down anywhere from 10 to 30 minutes to reload.
>>
>>46208602
Still better than the Type96.
>>
And I finally managed to catch one of these threads live, good timing.

>>46208063
That's a good look for her. Also:

First, tell Naka that we're proud of her and that she's still on our side, no matter what she looks like now.
When we get to Goto we should reign Kongou and Essex in by whatever means necessary, then hightail it to the Chuunibotes.

When we get to THEM, we inform them that Yuudaichi managed to manifest her full-sized hull, and that when they do the same they're in for some serious upgrades.
>>
>>46208542

What the fuck hapened to poor Iowa's boobs?
>>
>>46208586
Well, we could also add a smallish scouting drone launch and retrieval system to them as well, to add to their observation options.
>>
>>46208602
Doesn't need to be phalanx. Could just give them Bofors 40mms.
>>
>>46208656
Give them the 76mm guns with proximity fuses.
>>
If we're investigating refits to the chuunis, and AA is the only real option, I think it's worth considering twin 20mm Oerlikons and the 3"/50 single and double mount.

Easily done on WW2 ships, and superior to any other WW2 AA.
>>
>>46208647
Squishy squishy.
>>
>>46208490
>From 1935-1936, plans were considered to convert the class into a dedicated anti-aircraft / anti-submarine platforms, using eight 127 mm guns in dual turrets, eight 25-mm guns, and four depth charge launchers with 36 depth charges. The redesign would also have involved combining the smokestacks into a single stack. Funding was approved for fiscal 1937, but the plan was cancelled due to an overload in the capacity of Japanese shipyards. The plan was floated again in 1938-1939 using eight 76.3 mm guns, but eventually abandoned in favor of the Akizuki-class destroyers.
>>
>>46208627
Eyeah for the first minute. Where you may shot down three planes cause honestly when has those things WORK in an actual combat eviroment? I believe never.

Anyways after said minute it become worst then the 23 since it's doing nothing.
>>
File: P1030135[1].jpg (306 KB, 700x467) Image search: [Google]
P1030135[1].jpg
306 KB, 700x467
>>46208506

Heck, considering Tatsuta's boilers are somewhere in pieces at the bottom of Sunda Straits and her whole engine room is open to daylight, might be doable to drop some diesels in there. (Those are most likely too large.)
>>
>>46208679
Eh, might be difficult. I think the 3" guns would make the whole top heavy issue worse
>>
>>46208684

Bullshit. That's just unnatural.

Also, for the Chuuniboats, don't forget:

'MURICA RADAR STRONK!
>>
The reason why you can't just put a flight deck on top of big gun turrets is because the turrets would have no arc of fire, couldn't elevate, and they would get in the way of the superstructure (aka, the flight deck)...plus, you know, you'd have no room for a hangar.

Also, if your fleet carrier is in a situation where it actually has any use for big guns, you're doing it wrong. Carriers are long-range weapon platforms, with the speed to outrun basically everything. It's far more efficient to have a heavy cruiser or fast battleship as an escort and dedicate a fleet carrier's design entirely to carrier operations. Not having big guns also means you can design a ship that doesn't need the heavy, sturdy hull to withstand the massive recoil of the guns, which means you can make the ship faster and carry more planes.
>>
>>46208707
Except the Type96 does nothing the entire time.

And I think you're vastly underestimating the Phalanx's capabilities given that it's last real combat stuffup was nearly 30 years ago and has since had a lot of incremental upgrades in FCS and ammo management.

I mean, you could put in a SeaRAM instead, I guess..
>>
File: image.jpg (155 KB, 850x924) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
155 KB, 850x924
>>
File: DO YOU EVEN LIFT (1).gif (655 KB, 1280x960) Image search: [Google]
DO YOU EVEN LIFT (1).gif
655 KB, 1280x960
>>46208477
As I said on a different site:
>Wouldn't that have rather unfortunate consequences for the chunniboat and her sister themselves? Their own bodies would likely still be shot to shit, only now no longer on supernatural life support. Not a fair image, that.
>>
>>46208550
The thing is, you probably WON'T be launching aircraft when the guns are firing. The Guns were there because CV's were seen initially as being able to operate alone, and needed a way to defend themselves should an enemy cruiser ambush them during the night/in poor weather.

The guns are there for times when you can't/aren't launching planes.

The 8" guns were removed because we realized that CV's wouldn't be operating alone, and that the escorts with them could handle any surface aggressors. Not to mention that the 5"/38 was not widely available when the Lexington's were built. Just the 5"/25, which was entirely inadequate for even a carriers self-defense purposes.

The 5"/38's were put in when they became available and it was clear that planes were a larger threat than ships.
>>
>>46208722
Replace the main battery with them and it's fine.

US AP probably means they're still better guns than the 14cm/50s
>>
>>46208787
>The thing is, you probably WON'T be launching aircraft when the guns are firing.
EXACTLY

That's the whole fucking point. Why are you wasting your breath agreeing with me only to couch it as an argument? Are you retarded?
>>
Hopefully, whatever unspeakable damage was done to Tatsuta, horrible and tragic though it certainly was, will finally kill the "TENNO HEIKA BANZAI! DECISIVE BATTLE!" in the Japanese shipgirls.
>>
>>46208795
No...not even close. Its a 3" shell compared to a 5.5" shell.
>>
>>46208775
Well Yuudachi was able to move around while her hull was there, so maybe just have the chuuni's on whatever life-support rigs or medical assistance they need but keep them next to the drydocks during the attempt.

Might not work, but it might be worth a try.
>>
File: 1456210203011.png (403 KB, 600x482) Image search: [Google]
1456210203011.png
403 KB, 600x482
Or y'know, maybe Dignitas for shipgirls.
>>
>>46208850
A 5.5" shell designed during WW1.

I don't think you realise just how bad IJN shell and gun design and materials were compared to USN stuff. It's a straight upgrade in most aspects even with the reduction in sheer calibre.
>>
File: Super Robot Wars - Kantai.webm (843 KB, 256x192) Image search: [Google]
Super Robot Wars - Kantai.webm
843 KB, 256x192
>>46208277
Yes, brass not getting in the way is crucial to shit getting done.

We should also help Goto because once he's no longer tied up he could help us with Naka, Tenryuu, and Tatsuta.

>>46208406
By the time Crab and co. are done, I expect Tatsuta to be pulling off .webm related.
>>
>>46208874
That's just silly.

What would the Japanese know of Roman values?
>>
>>46208753
And you understating the 23s since they did actually shot stuff down in the war.

And the few times the Phalanx has had a chance to shot things in actual combat, it fails to deliver.

My theory is that since the navy doesn't thing that things can turn they don't think to test them against a target that is jinxing all over the sky. If the target coming straight it wil, maybe, kill it. If the target is flying like Young from SWQ, good luck.

Plus they only shot at things coming towards the ship that they computer say will hit the ship. You can see the problem.
>>
File: ara ara.jpg (2 MB, 1858x1069) Image search: [Google]
ara ara.jpg
2 MB, 1858x1069
Every thread.
>>
>>46208820
You misunderstood. You won't be firing the guns when you're launching planes, because the only time you're firing guns is when you CAN'T launch planes.

EG in the 1930's:

>during bad weather
>at night
>flight deck has been disabled somehow (bombs, gunfire)
>>
>>46208874
Well that's kinda what scuttling was if you think about it, and given how many ships ended up scuttled during the war...
>>
File: Ship's fucked, sir (1).jpg (81 KB, 640x417) Image search: [Google]
Ship's fucked, sir (1).jpg
81 KB, 640x417
>>46208862
Tatsuta would need a full iron lung, and even then its iffy as to her survival.

If the bridge corresponds to a shipgirl's head, then the boilers would likely be the heart. Tatsuta's boilers are outright GONE, her engineering compartments reduced to a gaping hole. I shudder to think what that translates to in human body damage.

Tenryuu might be better off, though not by much.
>>
File: ara ara~.jpg (402 KB, 1115x775) Image search: [Google]
ara ara~.jpg
402 KB, 1115x775
>>46208920
>>
>>46208911
First, there's no such thing as this 23/26 you keep talking about. It's a Type 96 25mm gun. Get your shit right if you're going to argue.

Second, the Type 96s shot down shit during the war because there was an actual goddamn war on, not police actions or curbstomps against technologically primitive opponents. It's had like one chance to do anything at all in practice.

Also your theory is shit and displays base ignorance of how the Phalanx actually goddamn works, as well as the fact that it's been extensively upgraded over it's service life.

You, sir, are a flaming idiot.
>>
>>46208934
You could engineer some unholy abomination for you super-niche problem, or you could build an aircraft carrier AND a battleship for probably the same cost and just have them sail together. Dumbass
>>
>>46208722
The 3"/50s were meant to replace a Bofors twin mount. Granted, they weighed twice as much, but they were four times as effective and had much greater range.There were also twin-3"/50 mounts to replace quad-Bofors mounts. So, it's conceivable that you could replace one of the chuuniboat's 6" guns with a twin-3"/50 mount, then mount another single-gun 3"/50 (or some Bofors 40mm, if need be) with the extra weight left over. Also, radar.

As for being top-heavy, well, I imagine replacing the engines or boilers with something more modern might help. Stick some modern power generators and damage control equipment in there. But are you sure Tenryu and Tatsuta were actually top-heavy?
>>
>>46208934
Yeah, Nah. You misunderstood.
>>
>>46209021

Well, at least that means there'd be plenty of pre-existing room to work with when making upgrades.
>>
>>46209021
2 gone. 1 was blown out not up.
>>
>>46209052
I work on the army version that is the same Exact thing but on a trailer.
>>
>>46208647
Boobs that big are gonna squish.
>>
>>46209021

Hey fuck you yeah? theyll be fucking fine. finest meddical care in the fucking world
>>
>>46209053
Or just do what the Americans did and put some normal 8" turrets on to chase off marauding destroyers.
>>
>>46209081

>Exact same thing
Nope. Not even close.

Even that being said, even the Army's version has had *extensive* improvements in FCS and target logic over the last ~25 years or so, so yeah, you're still wrong.
>>
>>46209105
You mean Mr. Crab?
>>
>>46209021
First: WHY IS THAT SHIP SPLIT OPEN

Second: Humans can't be revived if you replace their heart after a hole was blown in their chest. Ships can, provided you get them to a drydock, though it will surely be damn expensive.
>>
>>46209121
Except even the Americans decided that was a dumb idea and got rid of them pre-war.
>>
>>46207838
Lewd ideas for this week:
1. Arizona and Shokaku eat hamburgers
2. Shimakaze gets oiled up
3. Kongou reads a doujin
>>
>>46208888
>A 5.5" shell designed during WW1.
You do realize the 3" AP was also developed during WWI? Also, that shell is 13 lbs., compared to the 14cm's 84 lbs. HE shell. What the hell is that 3" shell going to penetrate?

inb4 "muh Mark 22 shell made in the 50s"
>>
>>46209145
>First: WHY IS THAT SHIP SPLIT OPEN
Because it got hit by a Harpoon missile.
>>
>>46208063
hipster
>>
>>46209105
OH GOD HATE HAS BECOME A CAR oh wait, that's "Hate Mobile," not "Hatemobile." Never mind.
>>
>>46209187
Then yeah, give the Chuunibotes those.
>>
File: Dig Throws Barron Once More.gif (1 MB, 320x180) Image search: [Google]
Dig Throws Barron Once More.gif
1 MB, 320x180
>>46208874
>Dignitoss

Please. They haven't jobbed NEARLY enough fights to be Dig.
>>
>>46209121
5" guns are capable of fighting destroyers, but they don't require a turret to mount them. Thing is, it just makes more sense to have some destroyers and/or cruisers to escort your carrier and devote the space/weight saved on the carrier to more hangar space, speed, or armor.
>>
>>46209197
>hatemobile

Quick Harder! To the Hatemobile!

>slides downt the Hatepole to the Hatecave
>>
File: DO YOU EVEN LIFT (2).jpg (112 KB, 790x514) Image search: [Google]
DO YOU EVEN LIFT (2).jpg
112 KB, 790x514
>>46209071
Sure, regarding the ship. Too bad the woman will likely die, due to being taken off spooky shipgirl life support. In which case we now have a bog-standard oversized destroyer sitting in our drydock, which we could probably hand over to the Malaysians as a replacement for Kasturi and Lekir.
>>46209072
Still, point remains - their heart-analogue has been shot past shit. Taking the ship aspect away from them ala summoning their hull... well, what is left behind probably won't be pretty.
>>46209105
I'll hold you to that, Lieutenant.
>>46209145
1) Missiles hurt... if they hit.
2) See above.
>>
>>46209122
Not really. Trust me I'm the fucker who has to maintain them. One of my friends worked on both. And is actually the part of the team who makes the upgrades for them. He says that for all they did was change a few line of code to track thing the size of shells.
>>
>>46209105
I hope so. Tenryuu and I will need it. Even typing this out hurts.
>>
File: the day kongou ruined christmas.jpg (442 KB, 2667x1500) Image search: [Google]
the day kongou ruined christmas.jpg
442 KB, 2667x1500
>>46208384
>light cruisers
>long dock time

NIGGA PLEASE
>>
>>46209051
>Somebody else is posting the reply, with the right filename
This feels weird
>>
>>46209179
Naka
>>
>>46209263
At least it's not orbitfag, right?
>>46209252
You're not typing, ma'am. It's a direct mental link with the computer. You only think you're typing.
>>
>>46209235
Yuudachi still demonstrated the superhuman ship aspects in her girl while her ship was summoned. She was leaping like fucking spiderman. It's not a stretch to think that the girl part of them can still have the dual existence when they have a hull out instead of rigging
>>
>>46209257
Will Settle fill up buckets for them?
>>
>>46209179
You're thinking of a different 3" gun if you think that.

Also Japanese AP shells were so shit it's a miracle they ever penetrated anything at all.
>>
File: 1453610115692.png (146 KB, 500x377) Image search: [Google]
1453610115692.png
146 KB, 500x377
>>46209252
Here's your (you), faggot.

>>46209302
>Giving him a serious response
>>
>>46209257
>Iowa has twelve inches of armor over her flag bridge
Ha
>>
File: this dd will make you do lewds.png (223 KB, 400x632) Image search: [Google]
this dd will make you do lewds.png
223 KB, 400x632
>>46209324
They'll have to wring it out of him.
>>
>>46209248
Then he's either blowing giant holes in OPSEC or lying.

And frankly I'm not terribly inclined to take the word of some guy on the interwebs over most every published report on the things since the gulf war, thanks.
>>
File: image.jpg (294 KB, 800x1317) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
294 KB, 800x1317
>>
>>46209371
And which DD is that, Crix?
>>
File: can u not.png (46 KB, 300x224) Image search: [Google]
can u not.png
46 KB, 300x224
>>46209252
>uninvited nameposting as a character
>>
File: 42375573.jpg (1 MB, 1228x868) Image search: [Google]
42375573.jpg
1 MB, 1228x868
After a moment's contemplation you type your reply.

“After the tragedy, they send in the clowns.” You tap 'send' and lurch out of your chair to pay your wounded warriors a visit. Your phone keeps buzzing busily in your pocket as you drag yourself down the hall to the monitoring desk. Two nurses are busily chatting about something.

“So I walk in and he's hiding under the sheets,” a short-haired brunette in scrubs is relaying to a tired-looking chap grimacing at his Styrofoam cup of cold coffee. “Like I can't see who's name is on the chart. So-” they turn as they sense your approach, clamming up quickly. “Hey, Admiral. Can we help you?”

“I was looking for Tenryuu and Tatsuta,” you ask. “I know they got hurt pretty bad-”

The woman raises a hand to cut you off. “Admiral... it's pretty bad.”

You nod. “I know.”

“With all due respect... I'm not sure you do, sir.”

“I spent six weeks in the same ICU as most of the wounded from Higgins,” you point out quietly. “Those two were my responsibility. I can't... do that to them, and then just walk away from the consequences.”

She nods sadly, as if she'd been expecting that answer. “Downstairs in intensive care. Room 221.”
>>
>>46209401
Arashio
>>
Huh, it' the day after the operation and Settle is okay?

You will think he'll be put under observation for a few days at least after all that shit.
>>
File: 1457225258576.gif (988 KB, 294x224) Image search: [Google]
1457225258576.gif
988 KB, 294x224
You thank them and trudge to the elevator - your injured thigh is always stiff in the morning, till you can get the blood flowing and limber up the injured muscle a bit. Between the cranky bone-deep ache and the scent of antiseptic in the air, the memories of your own long hospital stay are coming back. Long hours of staring at the ceiling, too well drugged to find much interest in the TV or even focus your eyes on a book for too long. Long weeks with nothing to do but relive the final hours of USS Higgins. Days of searching your scattered and drug-confused mind for the missing memories; the last breaths took by your XO, the man who really won the battle - your right arm for so many years. And endless nightmares manufactured by your mind to fill in the gap; exploring every ghastly fate he could have, *must* have met.

In the privacy of the elevator, there's no need to hold back a shiver.

You don't much like hospitals.

Nobody does.

The second floor is hushed; quiet and tired-looking nurses making their rounds with hardly a glance in your direction. You find the room and gently open the door to a darkened room.

A familiar subdued whirr-hiss spreads queasiness through your gut like an oil slick, black and poisonous. Tatsuta lies silently on the bed, the bare skin over her upper-right chest wrinkled by a layer of glued-on plastic, forming a seal around a plastic tube that seems embedded in her body.
>>
>>46209302
So that is what that little wire they stuck into me is for. Amazing.
>>
>>46209390
And there's you problem. The publish report. How much of that shit you really think is true?

Hint these companies are greedy ass fucks who need to several agencies to have a good look into them, cause the stories I could tell.
>>
File: das it mane.png (149 KB, 287x430) Image search: [Google]
das it mane.png
149 KB, 287x430
Hate is sitting with his back to the drawn curtains, at the end of a couch built as a window-seat. Tenryuu is lying sprawled over the rest, her head resting in Hate's lap. You glance over her injuries - she seems half made of white gauze, now; even her face and eyes are completely hidden from view. One arm is in a sling, and her opposite leg is in splints.

“She wouldn't take a cane,” Hate says quietly. He's staring at Tatsuta quietly, stroking Tenryuu's hair absentmindedly - she seems to be asleep. “Didn't want to admit it, I guess.” He lifts his eyes to meet your gaze, and for a second your heart almost stops - his dilated pupils are as straight and deep as gun barrels.

“The cruisers that did this,” Hate says quietly. “You know who they were, don't you?”

[ ] They were the enemy. That's all that matters.
[ ] Yes. I do. [Write-in.]
[ ] I spent the night duct-taped to a table. I don't have a goddamn clue.
>>
>>46209446
And here come the medical gorn. And Planefag will almost certainly be unable to do it justice. Keep that in mind.
>>
>>46209453
More true than some random unaccountable chucklefuck on the internet, at the very least.
>>
>>46209472
>[X] I spent the night duct-taped to a table. I don't have a goddamn clue.
>>
>>46209472
>[ ] Yes. I do. [Write-in.]
The Russian fleet from Tsushima.
>>
>>46209153
What part of the idea becoming obsolete in the late 1930's because of advances in aviation do you not understand.

When these ships were built in 1929, they were envisioned as going off on their own with at most a few destroyers as cover. In the imagined role, they would have a very real chance of engaging enemy cruiser/scouting forces in conditions that were not ideal for launching planes, and would therefor be forced to take them under gunfire. When these ships were built, that idea made perfect sense, and was accepted by every major nation with a Naval Aviation Corps.

>>46209211
5" guns are actually not ideal for engaging destroyers when mounted on a capital ship. The shell is simply too small and the range too short to prevent an attack. Even 6" guns have difficulty stopping a single destroyer.

Not to mention that the AA guns available at the time were single purpose 5"/25's or 3"/50's. Neither of which possess the capability of stopping even a light ship in a reasonable amount of time.

>Thing is, it just makes more sense to have some destroyers and/or cruisers to escort your carrier

That was not the thinking at the time. Hindsight is 20/20, but naval strategy then called for CV's to operate independent from the main fleet.

>and devote the space/weight saved on the carrier to more hangar space, speed, or armor.

Even with the eight 8" guns, the Lexington's had the largest hangar of any CV for 15 years, the best torpedo defense system available, and courtesy of its advanced turbo-electric drives, went faster than nearly every other CV in commission even by the end of WW2 20 years later. And it had a 7" belt to boot.

Space on them was never an issue.
>>
>>46209472

Honesty among comrades.
>>
>>46209472
>[x] They were the enemy. That's all that matters.
>>
Is this where we put our guesses from last thread?
>>
>>46209430
Thanks.
I can pick out the CLs, training cruisers, torpedo cruisers, CAs, BBs, CVs... but for the most part, not so much with the DDs.

Except the Mutsuki and Fubuki classes. And some of the Shiratsuyus.
>>
>>46209499
...We established that it was the original Scharnhorst and Gniesenau, not the Slavs.
>>
Didn't we have a discussion about this? Wasn't the possibility of them being the Far East German Navy Squadron from WW1 raised?
>>
>>46209390
The army phalanx is trying to shoot down fucking peas compared to what is being shot at a ship, it's not surprising it can't hit much. There's usually a few of them at every base in afganistan
>>
>>46209472
>[x] I spent the night duct-taped to a table. I don't have a goddamn clue.
>>
>>46209472
>[ ] I spent the night duct-taped to a table. I don't have a goddamn clue.
>>
>>46209504
What part of "You are a goddamned waffling idiot" do *you* not understand?
>>
>>46209524
Refresh my memory.
>>
>>46209472
>[X] I spent the night duct-taped to a table. I don't have a goddamn clue. Yet.
>>
>>46209472

>>46209524
did we really?
>>
>>46209472
However the fuck you spell that german shit the industrious autists figured out
>>
I have arrived. God damn it I hate meetings, MEDCOM conferences, and being TDY with a burning fucking passion.
>>46209472
Also because I'm Army and to me everything that floats on water is a boat.
>>
>>46209472
Themselves, for not following my god damn orders.
>>
File: we katawa collection now.jpg (397 KB, 950x850) Image search: [Google]
we katawa collection now.jpg
397 KB, 950x850
>>46209472
>>
>>46209524

Alright then, the German East Asia Squadron.
>>
>>46209472
>>
>>46209452
Quite so. Tenryuu hasn't grown accustomed to it yet, though.
>>46209472
Scharnhorst and Gneisenau.
>>
>>46209472
>>
>>46209472
Did they really just left him alone like that the entire night?
>>
>>46209472
>[ ] They were the enemy. That's all that matters.
>>
>>46209472
>[X] Yes. I do. "Scharnhorst and Gneisenau"
>>
>>46209472
>[ ] Yes. I do.>>46209524
>>
>>46209518
Asashios and Mutsukis often stump me. Way too many, and not very distinctive. I have no idea why I remember the Fubukis.
>>
>>46209472
>[ ] Yes. I do.
Scharnhorst and Gniesenau. The original ones.
>>
>>46209472
>Scharnhorst and Gneisenau.
>The WW1 versions of them.
>>
>>46209472
>>
>>46209472

[X] Yes. I do. [Write-in.]
Scharnhorst and Gneisenau. the original ones
>>
>>46209472
Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, of the Imperial German East Asia Squadron.
>>
>>46209564
>did we really?
Most of the detective over on SB, though I know there were a few people who've guessed it in-thread
>>
whoops fuck I forgot there was a thread today
just happened to see it on the front page after a missclick
thank you jegus
>>
>>46209472
The Ostasiengeschwader
>>
>>46209554
The part where you can't comprehend that Naval Aviation doctrines, requirements and technology in 1929 were different than those in 1941.
>>
>>46209566
Did you bring up a certain addendum to any further sexual harassment seminars?
>>
>>46209472
SMS Scharnhorst and Gneisenau.
>>
>>46209472
Scharnhorst and Gneisenau.
>>
>>46209472
Murderous intent and grevious injury aside, Hate and Tenryuu are adorable
>>
>>46209629
You really are this dense, aren't you? The point is just going right over your head.
>>
>>46209472
>>[X] I spent the night duct-taped to a table. I don't have a goddamn clue.
>>
File: hail mary.jpg (34 KB, 425x400) Image search: [Google]
hail mary.jpg
34 KB, 425x400
>>46209081
>I work on the army version that is the same Exact thing but on a trailer.

C-RAM systems, eh? Neat. To the other anon, the guy isn't saying that CIWS sucks - it's just that CIWS systems have always, always, ALWAYS been a last-ditch kind of thing. To be blunt, terminal intercept is fucking hard. Terminal intercept against a weapon likely programmed to perform a last-second z-shaped or pop-up terminal evasive maneuver? Even harder. I picked this filename for a reason - Phalanx guns were always the last-ditch, hail-mary system; one last chance to engage a leaker that the primary defenses and extensive decoys and ECM couldn't thwart.

Point-defense guns can be made better than the Phalanx, but that primarily relies on making the gun bigger - which is why the Goalkeeper and the Russian AK-whateverthenumberis system are 30mm. The main reason is, a higher muzzle velocity results in a longer engagement range, and thus a longer engagement *window.* Goalkeeper uses the GAU-8 for that exact reason. But note that the GAU-8 is a massive gun that eats up a lot of weight and deck space; which illustrates why the Phalanx has never been upsized - it'd detract from more effective defensive systems, like longer-ranged missiles. The go-to replacement these days is the Rolling Airframe Missile; which has the primary benefit of - again - having a much longer range than gun-based defenses.
>>
>>46209472
Scharnhorst and Gniesenau
>>
>>46209472

Because I don't want the SB vote cabal to win. And really there's no reason for Settle to know who they are.
>>
>>46209688
>the guy isn't saying that CIWS sucks
Could've fooled me.
>>
File: 1453943850140.png (397 KB, 840x816) Image search: [Google]
1453943850140.png
397 KB, 840x816
>>46209473
>>
>>46209472
>>
>>46209472
>>
[X] I spent the night duct-taped to a table. I don't have a goddamn clue.
>>
>>46209472
Scharnhorst and Gneisenau, of the Imperial German East Asia Squadron
>>
>>46209634
No, we aren't discussing SHARP stuff, thank god. I'd loose my fucking mind otherwise.
>>
>>46209504
>5" guns are actually not ideal for engaging destroyers when mounted on a capital ship.
>standard anti-destroyer caliber mounted as secondaries on most battleships, including US battleships, well before dual-angle guns were introduced

wat
>>
File: NANODESUS.jpg (58 KB, 640x379) Image search: [Google]
NANODESUS.jpg
58 KB, 640x379
>>46209603
Not that many of them, I guess.
DesDiv6 is instantly recognizable (though there is some degree of confusion between Inazuma and Ikazuchi).
The Akizukis as well are quite easily identified..

And as for the Mutsukis, I just memorized them by month. Mutsuki is January, Kisaragi is Feburary...

>>46209472
[X] Yes. I do. [Write-in.]
What everybody else is saying. Sneezehorn and Gesundheit.
>>
Oh good, looks like BB-4 is finally letting us run.

By the way, to the few who read my writeups, I'm still alive and writing the tenth and last Memories of Higgins bit. May upload it on the Saturday thread if all goes well. After that, well, I'm asking PF what I can do next so yeah.
>>
Could somebody make this picture like 200% more marine? I want it for trolling Hate.
>>
>>46209472

Scharnhorst and Gneisenau
>>
>>46209768
Ikazuma and Inazuchi
>>
>>46209699
This is true. Even if WE know who they probably are, there is absolutely no reasonable way for Settle to know at this point.
>>
>>46209774
give them all dicks
>>
>>46209472
>>
>>46209794
He stared directly into the Abyss and found it wanting.
He touched the mind of the Abyss and it made him laugh.

He can know. He will know. He knows.
>>
Also, votes called~
>>
>>46209823
Settle isn't a fucking wizard, anon, no matter how much you want him to be. He's still a normal human.
>>
>>46209794
I mean, he's a nerd who keeps a shelf full of history books, so maybe
>>
>>46209841
He can maybe have an educated guess.
>>
File: Yeah how about no.jpg (60 KB, 540x276) Image search: [Google]
Yeah how about no.jpg
60 KB, 540x276
>>46209840
The way things are going, he might as well be a black mage/necromancer before the war is over.
>>
>>46209871
Considering he's summoned two ships at this point (and we still haven't met the latter), that seems plausible.
>>
[X] I spent the night duct-taped to a table. I don't have a goddamn clue.

Let's not make assumptions, now. Also, they do deserve SOME credit--they easily could have finished Tenryuu and Tatsuta off, but they chose not to.
>>
>>46209870
He's also smarter than 90% of the thread so yeah.
>>
>>46209870
>>46209841
>>46209794
And he identified Iowa that first time
>>
>>46209871
More like he's becoming a Summoner at this rate. Here's a question we should have asked already. What happened to that new ship last night?
>>
>>46209554

Also, Akagi carried anti-cruiser guns low in her hull as well, bro. It wasn't terribly uncommon. Take a deep breath.
>>
>>46209903
That might actually be a negative in Hate's eyes.

HOW DARE THEY DENY THEM AN HONORRRABU DEATH IN BATTLE MUH VALHALLA OOH RAH BANZAI
Thread replies: 255
Thread images: 140

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.